WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:44 am
Carl Maria von Weber
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Carl Maria Friedrich Ernst von Weber (born November 18 or November 19, 1786, in Eutin near Luebeck, Germany; died June 5, 1826, of tuberculosis, in London, England) was a German composer.

His work, mainly his operas, or "Singspiele" ("singing plays"), greatly influenced the development of the Romantic opera in German music (e.g. Wagner, an outspoken admirer of Weber); but Weber was also interested in certain technical aspects of publishing, e.g. lithography; in journalistic work, writing critiques; and in the history of musical instruments and performance, e.g. folksong. His body of religious music (Catholic) was highly popular in 19th century Germany.

The much acclaimed premiere of the opera "Der Freischuetz" (1821, Berlin) propelled Weber to European fame; today, the popularity of his operas "Der Freischuetz", and "Oberon", remains undiminished.

Early life

Weber was the eldest of the three children of Franz Anton von Weber (who is said to have no real claim to a "von" denoting nobility), and his second wife, Genovefa Brenner, an actress. The father, Franz Anton, started his career as a military officer in the service of the County of Holstein; later he held a number of musical directorships; and in 1787 he went on to Hamburg, where he founded a theatrical company, the "Webersche Schauspielergesellschaft".

Weber's father gave him a comprehensive education, though interrupted by the family's constant moves.

In 1796, Weber continued his musical education in Hildburghausen, where he was instructed by the noted oboist J. Peter Heuschkel.

In 1798, on March 13, Weber's mother died of tuberculosis. That same year, Weber went to Salzburg, to study with Johann Michael Haydn; and later to Munich, to study with the singer Johann Evangelist Wallishauser, called Valesi, and with the organist J.N. Kalcher.

That year also saw Weber's first published work, six fughettas for piano, published in Leipzig. Other compositions of that period, amongst them a mass, and his first opera, Die Macht der Liebe und des Weins (The Power of Love and Wine), are lost; but a set of Variations for the Pianoforte, was later lithographed by Weber himself, under the guidance of Alois Senefelder, the inventor of the process.

In 1800, the family moved to Freiberg, in Saxony, where Weber, then 14 years old, wrote an opera called Das stumme Waldmädchen (The silent forest maiden), which was produced at the Freiberg theatre. It was later performed in Vienna, Prague, and St. Petersburg.

Weber also began to write articles as a critic, e.g. 1801, in Leipziger Neue Zeitung.

In 1801, the family returned to Salzburg, where he resumed his studies with Joseph Haydn, which he later continued in Vienna, with Abbé Vogler (Georg Joseph Vogler), an influential contemporary musician, founder of three important music schools (in Mannheim, Stockholm, and Darmstadt; another famous pupil of Abbé Vogler, was Giacomo Meyerbeer).

In 1803, Weber's opera, Peter Schmott und seine Nachbarn (Peter Schmott and his Neighbors) was produced in Augsburg, and gave Weber his first success as a popular composer.

Success

Abbé Vogler, impressed by his pupil's obvious talent, recommended him to the post of Director at the Opera in Breslau (1806), and from 1807 to 1810, Weber got a preferment at the court of the Duke of Wuerttemberg, in Stuttgart.

While his personal life during this time remained irregular and dissolute (he left his post in Breslau in a fit of frustration, was once arrested for debt and fraud, and expelled from Wuerttemberg, and was involved in disastrous and scandalous affairs), he became more and more successful as a composer, mainly of operas and works for piano, but also as a composer of religious music, mainly for Catholic mass. This popularity in church music, though, earned him the hostility of the Caecilians, a contemporary reform movement which worked for the re-establishment of traditional chant in liturgy.

In 1810, his reputation as an accomplished musician well established, Weber visited several cities throughout Germany; and from 1813 to 1816 he was director of the Opera in Prague; from 1816 to 1817 he worked in Berlin, and from 1817 onwards he was director of the prestigious Opera in Dresden, working hard to establish a "Deutsche Oper" (German Opera), in reaction to the Italian Opera, which had dominated the European music scene for much of the 18th century, and was still prevalent in Weber's day. (In this he continued the struggle begun by Gluck and Mozart whose "German-Speaking" Zauberfloete (Magic Flute) had caused much upheaval a generation before.)

In 1821, Weber reached the pinnacle of success with the ravishing reception of his masterpiece, the opera "Der Freischuetz", at its premiere in Berlin. The revolutionary use of lavish multi-layered harmonies (a precursor of Richard Wagner, who wrote 50 years later), the use of popular themes from central European folk music, and the gloomy ("gothic") script, complete with an appearance of Lucifer himself in a nocturnal forest, has turned this "Singspiel" into a repertory favorite ever since. It is also of surprising "modernity" inasmuch as the opera has no traditional ending, as an opera was supposed to have, but stops quite abruptly, musically and storywise, inviting further reflection and interpretation.

In 1824 Weber received an invitation from the London Covent Garden Opera House, to compose and produce "Oberon", an adaptation of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream". Weber accepted the invitation, and in 1826 he travelled to England, to finish the work and be present at the performance.

The work premiered to resounding success.

At this time, though, Weber was already suffering from tuberculosis, and in the night of 4th to 5th June, 1826, he died in London. He was buried there, but 18 years later, his remains were transferred and re-buried in Dresden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Maria_von_Weber
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:46 am
Louis Daguerre
(Redirected from Louis-Jacques Daguerre)

Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre (November 18, 1787 - July 10, 1851) was the French artist and chemist who is recognized for his invention of the Daguerreotype process of photography.

He experimented on making pictures from 1824, showing dioramas around France, England and Scotland. A few years after Nicéphore Niépce produced the world's first photography, the two men started a four-year cooperation - until Niépce's death in 1833.

Daguerre announced the latest perfection of the Daguerreotype, after years of experimentation, in 1839, with the French Academy of Sciences announcing the process on January 9 of that year. Daguerre's patent was acquired by the French Government, and, on August 19, 1839, the French Government announced the invention was a gift "Free to the World." However, Daguerre himself deposed the patent for England on August 12, and this greatly slowed the development of photography in Great Britain.

Daguerre died on July 10, 1851 in Bry-sur-Marne, 12 km from Paris. A fine monument marks his grave there.

Named after Daguerre

* His invention, the daguerreotype
* 3256 Daguerre, a main belt asteroid
* Daguerre crater on the Moon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Jacques_Daguerre
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:49 am
Imogene Coca

Imogene Coca (November 18, 1908 - June 2, 2001) was an American comic actress.

She was born Imogene Fernandez de Coca in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, of Irish and Spanish extraction as the daughter of José Fernandez de Coca, a conductor, and his wife Sadie Brady, a dancer and magician's assistant.

In her youth, she received piano, dance, and voice lessons. She moved from Philadelphia to seek a living as a dancer, while still a teenager, starting in the chorus of the Broadway musical When You Smile. She came to be featured as a headliner, appearing in Manhattan nightclubs, with music arranged by her first husband, Robert Burton. She came to prominence when she began to combine music with comedy: her first big critical success was in New Faces of 1934. In the early days of live television she played opposite Sid Caesar in a sketch comedy program, Your Show of Shows, which was immensely popular from 1950 to 1954. She also had, briefly, her own series, The Imogene Coca Show. Her first husband, Robert Burton, died in 1955.

In 1960 she married her second husband, late actor King Donovan. She made one final performance on the Broadway stage as religious zealot Letitia Primrose in On the Twentieth Century, and was nominated for a Tony Award. Her later years were spent in relative solitude with only occasional appearances guest-starring on television (Moonlighting) and in small movie roles. She died, childless, in Westport, Connecticut of Alzheimer's disease and natural causes at the age of 92.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imogene_Coca
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:55 am
Johnny Mercer
Jump to: navigation, search

John Herndon "Johnny" Mercer (November 18, 1909 - June 25, 1976) was a pop music singer and composer and record executive.

This article is in need of attention.
You can help Wikipedia by editing it into a better article.
Please also consider changing this notice to be more specific.

Born in Savannah, Georgia, he is regarded as one of America's greatest songwriters.

In the early 1940s, Mercer was one of the co-founders of Capitol Records.

Mercer was also a well-regarded singer, with a folksy singing quality. This made him a natural to his own songs like "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive", "On The Atchison, Topeka And The Santa Fe", and "Lazybones".

Mercer often was asked to write lyrics to already popular songs. The lyrics to "Laura", "Midnight Sun" and "Satin Doll" were all written after the songs were already hits. Mercer was also asked to write English lyrics to foreign songs. The most famous example of this is "Autumn Leaves".

Johnny Mercer also wrote the music for MGM films, including "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (1954) and "Merry Andrew" (1958).

In 1969 he helped publishers Abe Olman and Howie Richmond found the National Academy of Popular Music's Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Mercer died in Bel Air, California.

In 1996 he was honored by the United States Postal Service with his portrait placed on a stamp.

Johnny Mercer has a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1628 Vine Street, right outside the Capitol Records building.

His home in Savannah was the scene of the murder recounted in the book and movie, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The book includes considerable information about Mercer. Actually, Johnny Mercer never lived in Mercer House in Savannah. His grandfather had the house built, but he, also, never lived there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mercer

Johnny Mercer - On The Atchison, Topeka, And Santa Fe Lyrics
Download MP3's Now! | Sheet Music | Tablature | Posters | CD's | Pics
View more Johnny Mercer lyrics | Submit lyrics for Johnny Mercer

Download MP3's Now » | Email This Song
Download MP3's Now!
On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe
Bing Crosby
Words by Johnny Mercer, music by Harry Warren

"On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe" was introduced by Judy Garland in
the 1945 MGM film "The Harvey Girls". The song won an Oscar. It was also a big
hit for Bing Crosby who recorded it Feb. 17, 1944, although the recording was
not released until June 1945. But Johnny Mercer's recording was the biggest hit.
It reached #1 in the summer of 1945. The following lyrics were transcribed from
the Bing Crosby recording.

Do you hear that whistle down the line
I figure that it's engine number forty-nine
She's the only one that'll sound that way

See the old smoke risin' 'round the bend
I reckon that she knows she's gonna meet a friend
Folks around these parts get the time of day
From the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe

Here she comes, woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-woo
Hey Jim, you better get out the rig, woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-woo
She's got a list of passengers that's pretty big

And they'll all want lifts to Brown's Hotel
'Cause lots of them been travellin' for quite a spell
All the way from Philadelphia

------ instrumental break ------

Do you hear that whistle down the line
I figure that it's engine number forty-nine
She's the only one that'll sound that way

See the old smoke risin' 'round the bend
I reckon that she knows she's gonna meet a friend
Folks around these parts get the time of day
From the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe

Here she comes, woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-woo
Hey Jim, you better get out the rig, woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-oo-woo-woo
She's got a list of passengers that's pretty big
And they'll all want lifts to Brown's Hotel
'Cause lots of them been travellin' for quite a spell
All the way from Philadelphia

Doo-doo-da, The good old A.T. and the Santa Fe
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:59 am
Linda Evans

Linda Evans was born Linda Evanstad on November 18, 1942, in Hartford, Connecticut.

Her most famous television roles have been on The Big Valley as Audra Barkley (1965-1969) and on Dynasty as Krystle Carrington (1981-1989).

Due to her character's name on Dynasty, she started a successful ad campaign for Crystal Light beverages, starting in 1984. She was also spoofed in a scene on one episode of Family Guy, in which it was implied that the actress couldn't work well with others, and as a result found no more acting jobs and had to work in a supermarket ("Linda Evans, there's a spill on aisle nine!")

She has been married twice, her second to film producer John Derek from 1968 to 1974. When their marriage ended, he soon married actress Bo Derek. Evans dated musician Yanni from 1989 until 1998.

Regularly listed as one of the most beautiful women in America, she appeared in Playboy magazine in 1971 and a second time in 1982 when she was turning forty.

For her contribution to the television industry, Linda Evans has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6834 Hollywood Blvd.

Evans resides in Tacoma, Washington and owns a small chain of fitness centers.

In the 1990s, Evans hosted infomercials for Rejuvenique, a mask for toning facial muscles.

In 2005, she was one of the guests at the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Evans
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:55 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, I don't think we can have "one too many mornings", but the song was appreciated, Texas.

Hey, Boston. Thanks for all that fascinating background on the notables. So many people that you think you know and don't. I, of course, was particularly interested in Johnny Mercer as it is my belief that he was one of the finest writers and musicians that I have ever had the privilege to hear.

Although Conrad Aiken was not mentioned, the early trauma of finding his dead parents under gruesome circumstances colored his later life, but not his creativity:

. Was this the poet? It is man.
The poet is but man made plain,
A glass-cased watch, through which you scan
The multitudinous beat-and-pain,
The feverish fine small mechanism,
And hear it ticking while it sings.
Behold, this delicate paroxysm.

It's amazing to me, listeners, that psychologists have NEVER been able to measure creativity, and that is something to be thankful for, right?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:36 am
McTag --------- Little Red Rooster was penned & recorded by Willie Dixon on the Chess Label. It was covered by Howling Wolf & in 1963 the Stones did a cover. I've not come across a John Lee Hooker version tho.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:42 am
Yit ------ sorry I covered your reply about the Rooster, saw it after I'd written
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:43 am
Good afternoon, John. Thanks for the discography, London.

Here's a dedication song for our George:

Satin Doll
Duke Ellington

Cigarette holder which wigs me
Over her shoulder, she digs me.
Out cattin' that satin doll.

Baby, shall we go out skippin?
Careful, amigo, you're flippin',
Speaks Latin that satin doll.

She's nobody's fool so I'm playing it cool as can be.
I'll give it a whirl but I ain't for no girl catching me,
Switch-a-rooney!

Telephone numbers well you know,
Doin' my rhumbas with uno
And that 'in my Satin Doll.

By Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Johnny Mercer.

And since everyone makes them, listeners, A newspaper goof:

Group May Have Give Iran Nuclear Info By GEORGE JAHN, Associated Press Writer
2 minutes ago

Well, we get the picture, right?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:45 am
Hey Letty ------- That 1 legged chicken of the Roosevelts, did have a false leg as well ? They could of called it Dot One Carry One
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:58 am
That's a pretty sassy number Letty. I can just imagine it going down in a smokey darken bar
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:20 am
Well, Brit, I suspect that Frank had a peg leg somewhere that he and the wife used for publicity purposes. Long John rooster, maybe, and his hen could have been Dot Com. <smile>

Following along the pun line:

SHERYL CROW LYRICS

"Every Day Is A Winding Road"

I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice
Jump in, let's go
Lay back, enjoy the show
Everybody gets high, everybody gets low,
These are the days when anything goes

[Chorus]
Everyday is a winding road
I get a little bit closer
Everyday is a faded sign
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine

He's got a daughter he calls Easter
She was born on a Tuesday night
I'm just wondering why I feel so all alone
Why I'm a stranger in my own life
Jump in, let's go
Lay back, enjoy the show
Everybody gets high, everybody gets low
These are the days when anything goes

[Chorus]

I've been swimming in a sea of anarchy
I've been living on coffee and nicotine
I've been wondering if all the things I've seen
Were ever real, were ever really happening

[Chorus]

[
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:30 am
Well, listeners, we had another badboy/girl in our studio and whoever got restricted. Thanks, mods.

Following right along:

Russell Crowe Due in Manhattan Court 1 hour, 10 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Russell Crowe is scheduled to appear in Manhattan criminal court Friday, accused of throwing a phone at a hotel concierge in June.

If convicted of assault and criminal possession of a weapon, the Oscar winner could lose his right to work in the United States and face seven years in prison. His lawyers have been working to reduce the charges.

Crowe, 41, is accused of flying into a rage in June when he had trouble calling his wife in Australia from his room at the Mercer Hotel in New York. He threw the phone, striking the concierge, authorities said.

Crowe, born in New Zealand and raised in Australia, won an Oscar for his role in the 2000 movie "Gladiator." His screen credits also include "The Insider," "A Beautiful Mind" and "Cinderella Man."

John, the only dark bar that I've been in lately, is Hersey's. Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:34 am
Letty, shocking news from Japan. what's the world coming to? Shocked

Radish in intensive care after murder attempt

TOKYO (Reuters) - A giant white radish that won the hearts of a Japanese town by valiantly growing through the urban asphalt was in intensive care at a town hall in western Japan on Thursday after being slashed by an unknown assailant.

The "daikon" radish, shaped like a giant carrot, first made the news months ago when it was noticed poking up through asphalt along a roadside in the town of Aioi, population 33,289.

This week local residents, who had nicknamed the vegetable "Gutsy Radish," were shocked -- and in some cases moved to tears -- when they found it had been decapitated.

Remainder of the radish story
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
Letty, don't those Hershey bars just melt in your mouth & then get your hands all sticky
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:44 am
Well, since turtles don't eat radishes, yit. You're off their list of suspects. Love it, buddy!

Probably a wild radish, Yit:

http://kaweahoaks.com/html/wild_radish_lilac01.jpg

Right, John. Chocolate turtles, too. Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Good morning WA2K.

Today's birthdays:

1522 - Lamoral, Count of Egmont, Flemish general and statesman (d. 1568)
1647 - Pierre Bayle, French philosopher (d. 1706)
1785 - David Wilkie, British artist (d. 1841)
1786 - Carl Maria von Weber, German composer (d. 1826)
1787 - Louis-Jacques Daguerre, French inventor and photographer (d. 1851)
1804 - Alfonso Ferrero la Marmora, Italian general and statesman (d. 1878)
1832 - Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld, Swedish explorer (d. 1901)
1836 - Sir William S. Gilbert, British dramatist (d. 1911)
1836 - Cesare Lombroso, Italian psychiatrist and founder of criminology (d. 1909)
1839 - August Kundt, German physicist (d. 1894)
1856 - Nikolai Nikolaevich Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia (d. 1929)
1861 - Dorothea Dix, American activist (d. 1887)
1870 - Dorothy Dix, pseudonym of US journalist, Elizabeth Meriwether Gilmer (d. 1951)
1874 - Clarence Day, American author (d. 1935)
1882 - Jacques Maritain, French philosopher (d. 1973)
1883 - Carl Vinson, U.S. Congressman (d. 1981)
1897 - Patrick Blackett, British physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1974)
1898 - Joris Ivens, Dutch filmmaker (d. 1989)
1899 - Eugene Ormandy, Hungarian-born conductor (d. 1985)
1901 - George Gallup, American statistician and opinion pollster (d. 1984)
1906 - Klaus Mann, German writer (d. 1949)
1906 - George Wald, American chemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1997)
1907 - Compay Segundo, Cuban musician (d. 2003)
1908 - Imogene Coca, American actress and comedienne (d. 2001)
1909 - Johnny Mercer, American lyricist (d. 1976)
1916 - Amelita Galli-Curci, Italian soprano (d. 1963)
1922 - Luis Somoza Debayle, Nicaraguan president (d. 1967)
1923 - Alan Shepard, American astronaut (d. 1998)
1925 - Gene Mauch, American baseball manager (d. 2005)
1927 - Hank Ballard, American musician (d. 2003)
1935 - Rudolf Bahro, German dissident (d. 1997)
1939 - Margaret Atwood, Canadian writer
1939 - Brenda Vaccaro, American actress
1940 - Qaboos ibn Sa'id, Sultan of Oman
1941 - David Hemmings, British actor (d. 2003)
1942 - Linda Evans, American actress
1944 - Susan Sullivan, American actress
1946 - Alan Dean Foster, American author
1947 - Jameson Parker, American actor
1948 - Andrea Marcovicci, American singer and actress
1948 - Jack Tatum, American football player
1950 - Eric Pierpoint, American actor
1953 - Alan Moore, British comic book writer and novelist
1954 - John Parr, British pop singer
1956 - Warren Moon, American football player
1957 - Seán Mac Falls, Irish-born poet
1958 - Laura Miller, Mayor of Dallas, Texas
1960 - Kim Wilde, British singer
1962 - Kirk Hammett, American guitarist
1963 - Dante Bichette, baseball player
1963 - Peter Schmeichel, Danish footballer
1966 - Jorge Camacho, Spanish poet
1968 - Owen Wilson, American actor
1969 - Sam Cassell, American basketball player
1975 - David Ortiz, Dominican Major League Baseball player
1978 - Damien Johnson, Northern Irish footballer
1983 - Jon Johansen, Norwegian software developer

I've chosen Andrea Marcovicci for special Birthday greetings. One of my A2K movie thread friends who has seen her perform several times mentioned that she sang one of my favorites, "These Foolish Things". I bought that CD and three others and love her cabaret style and renditions of the standards.

Andrea Marcovicci (born November 18, 1948 in New York City) is an American actress and singer.

As an actress she first became known in the television soap opera Love is a Many Splendored Thing, as Dr. Betsy Chernok Taylor from 1970-1973. She also appeared in the short-lived 1985 series Berrenger's, as well as starring on the hit CBS series Trapper John, M.D. as Fran Brennan Gates from 1985-1986. Marcovicci had a small recurring role as Cynthia Chase in the 1980s series Hill Street Blues, and has made guest appearances on many shows, including Kojak, Mannix, Baretta, Cybill,and Arli$$.

Marcovicci has appearend in films as well; her roles include The Front across Woody Allen, The Concorde: Airport '79, the 1983 science fiction film Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone as an android named Chalmers, and the 1993 film Jack the Bear.

Concurrently, Marcovicci has made a name for herself as a cabaret singer, especially with performances in Manhattan; she sang pop standards and torch songs before it again became fashionable to do so.

She is married to Daniel Reichert, who also is an actor; they have one daughter together.

[edit]
Selected filmography
Jack the Bear (1993)
The Beatnicks (1993)
The Water Engine (1992) (TV)
Someone to Love (1987)
The Carterville Ghost (1986)
The Stuff (1985)
Velvet (1984) (TV)
Spraggue (1984) (TV)
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)
Packin' It In (1983) (TV)
Kings and Desperate Men: A Hostage Incident (1981)
The Hand (1981)
The Concorde: Airport '79 (1979)
The Front (1976)
http://www.lentriola.com/images/artists/marcovicci/amcda.jpghttp://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drc500/c577/c57781q63n7.jpg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
While we await news of the radish's fate, we might ponder some sentiments of the late Frank Zappa:

Cheesy, cheesy!

(This is a song about vegetables... they keep you regular; they're real good for ya.)

Call any vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Call it by name
(Call any vegetable)
Call one today
(Call any vegetable)
When you get off the train
(Call any vegetable)
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
Ooooh! The vegetable
Will respond to you

(Some people don't go for prunes... I dunno... I've always found that if they...)

Call any vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Pick up your phone
(Call any vegetable)
Think of a vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Lonely at home
(Call any vegetable)
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you-hoooo

RUTA-BAY-AY-AYGA RUTA-BAY-AY-AYGA
RUTA-BAY-AY-AYGA RUTA-BAY-AY-AYGA
RUTA-BAYYYYY...

(A prune isn't really a vegetable. Cabbage is a vegetable.)

No one will know
If you don't want to let 'em know
No one will know
'Less it's you that might tell 'em so
Call and they'll come to you
Covered with dew
Vegetables dream
Of responding to you
Standing there
Shiny & proud by your side
Holding your hand
While the neighbors decide
Why is a vegetable
Something to hide?
YAR-R-R-R-R-G-H!

[musical interlude]

A lot of people don't bother about their friends in the VEGETABLE KINGDOM. They think, "Ah, what can I say? What can a person like myself say to a vegetable?" But the answer is simple, my friends... just call... and tell them how you feel... about MUFFINS, PUMPKINS, WAX PAPER, CALEDONIA, MAHOGANIES, ELBOWS AND GREEN THINGS IN GENERAL... and soon: A NEW RAPPORT! You and your new little green & yellow buddies... grooving together! OH NO! Maintaining your coolness together! Worshipping together in the church of your choice! ONLY IN AMERICA! Woh-oh-oh-ah-agh-h...

Call any vegetable
Call it by name
You gotta call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
AR-R-H-R that the vegetable
Will respond to you...
OH NO! Can you see them responding?
The PUMPKIN is breathing hard:

HUFFA PUFFA HUFFA PUFFA etc.
what a pumpkin...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
There's our Raggedy, listeners. What a treat to see your celeb updates. Thanks, PA.

For your celeb of the day:

These Foolish Things Lyrics (Frank Sinatra)

Frank Sinatra - These Foolish Things Lyrics
A cigarette that bears a lipstick?s traces
An airline ticket to romantic places
And still my heart has wings
These foolish things remind me of you

A tinkling piano in the next apartment
Those stumbling words that told you what my heart meant
A fairground?s painted swings

You came, you saw, you conquered me
When you did that to me
I knew somehow this had to be

The winds of march that make my heart a dancer
A telephone that rings but who?s to answer?
Oh, how the ghost of you clings

The smile of turner and the scent of roses
The waiters whistling as the last bar closes
The song that crosby sings
These foolish things remind me of you.

Hey, Yit. Love that veggie song, buddy.

Back later, folks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:16 am
Inspired by yitwail:

For all the little boys and girls out there who grew up to be good men and good women because of their simple faith:

Little boy:

carrots grow from carrot seeds,
I'll plant this one I'll grow it

I'll water it, I'll pull the weeds,
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

Little boy's mother:

Mothers know a lot of things,
Little boys like you can't know.
So don't be disappointed if your carrot doesn't grow.

(same song from the father)

Little boy's brother:

Na Na won't come up,
Na Na won't come up,

It won't come up; it won't come up,
The carrot won't come up.

and the little boy watered his carrot seed every day.
He pulled up the weeds, and when he went out one morning,
There was the biggest carrot that anyone had ever seen.

Little boy:

The carrot; it came up.
0 Replies