WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:04 pm
ah, listeners, our dj has given edgar a funny calling card.

It reads:

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MESS WITH YOU.

Actually, folks. I just found out that that was an anti-litter message.

So, here's a song for our edgar:

Artist: Slick Shoes
Album: Wake Up Screaming
Song: Don't Mess With Texas

Sometimes this world seems so cruel just as if there were no rules.
I've added my fair share.
I know.
I wish I could take back the cruel things I've done,
but I won't let it drag me down.
I'm in this for the long run.
I won't let the stupid things I've done n the past get in my way.
Not just on my strength alone I've fought for so long.
It will take more than that before I give up.
I have seen strong and weak give up along the way,
but that will not be the case for me.
Not tomorrow. Not today.
This world has shown me what it has to offer.
Guilt, hate, anger, and fear controls so many lives.
But I won't let it drag me down.
I won't let the stupid things I've done in the past get in my way.
You won't see me give up.
But I won't let it drag me down.
I won't let the stupid things I've done in the past get in my way.
You won't see me give up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
Restless Farewell

Oh all the money that in my whole life I did spend,
Be it mine right or wrongfully,
I let it slip gladly past the hands of my friends
To tie up the time most forcefully.
But the bottles are done,
We've killed each one
And the table's full and overflowed.
And the corner sign
Says it's closing time,
So I'll bid farewell and be down the road.

Oh ev'ry girl that ever I've touched,
I did not do it harmfully.
And ev'ry girl that ever I've hurt,
I did not do it knowin'ly.
But to remain as friends and make amends
You need the time and stay behind.
And since my feet are now fast
And point away from the past,
I'll bid farewell and be down the line.

Oh ev'ry foe that ever I faced,
The cause was there before we came.
And ev'ry cause that ever I fought,
I fought it full without regret or shame.
But the dark does die
As the curtain is drawn and somebody's eyes
Must meet the dawn.
And if I see the day
I'd only have to stay,
So I'll bid farewell in the night and be gone.

Oh, ev'ry thought that's strung a knot in my mind,
I might go insane if it couldn't be sprung.
But it's not to stand naked under unknowin' eyes,
It's for myself and my friends my stories are sung.
But the time ain't tall,
Yet on time you depend and no word is possessed
By no special friend.
And though the line is cut,
It ain't quite the end,
I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.

Oh a false clock tries to tick out my time
To disgrace, distract, and bother me.
And the dirt of gossip blows into my face,
And the dust of rumors covers me.
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick,
It can pierce through dust no matter how thick.
So I'll make my stand
And remain as I am
And bid farewell and not give a damn.

Dylan
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:20 pm
And, Edgar, I just love Joan Baez's rendition of that song. I was singing that song today. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
I used to be obsessed with it, in the late 60s.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:23 pm
i've not heard the song, but it's a reworking of "the parting glass" i'm guessing

The Parting Glass
Traditional

Of all the money ere I had, I spent it in good company,
And all the harm I've ever done, alas was done to none but me
and all I've done for want of wit, to memory now I can't recall
so fill me to the parting glass, goodnight and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades ere I had, they're sorry for my going away,
and all the sweethearts ere I had , they wish me one more day to stay,
but since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not,
I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.

If I had money enough to spend and leisure time to sit awhile
there is a fair maid in this town who sorely has my heart beguiled
Her rosey cheeks and ruby lips, I alone she has my heart in thrall
so fill me to the porting glass goodnight and joy be with you all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
It is said Dylan wrote Restless Farewell at a time when he was considering resigning from the music business. Of course, he was just at a crossroads, and soon turned to electrified music.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
Well, folks. I would like to say this to our listeners and contributors:

Because of all of you here, I feel lighter and less restless than I did earlier.

The bon mot; the music; the exchanges and discussions have been uplifting, but I am really exhausted and must say goodnight.

Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to strawberry fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hungabout.
Strawberry fields forever.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out, it doesn't matter much to me.

No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right, that is I think it's not too bad.

Always, no sometimes, think it's me, but you know I know when it's a dream.
I think I know I mean a 'yes' but it's all wrong, that is I think I disagree.

http://www.pioneer.net/~mchumor/llama_cartoon_7580.gif
Strawberry fields forever
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:56 pm
Crossroads
Robert Johnson

I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."

I went down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.
I went down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.
Nobody seemed to know me, everybody passed me by.

I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
I'm going down to Rosedale, take my rider by my side.
You can still barrelhouse, baby, on the riverside.

You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown.
You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown.
And I'm standing at the crossroads, believe I'm sinking down.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:48 am
Georgia O'Keeffe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (November 15, 1887 - March 6, 1986) was an American artist, widely regarded as one of the greatest modernist painters of the 20th century. O'Keeffe was a major figure in American art for over 70 years. O'Keeffe is chiefly known for her blend of abstraction and pictorialism which she applied to flowers, animal bones and landscapes. Her style stressed contours and subtle tonal transitions, which often transformed the subject into a powerful abstract image. Her large flower paintings are often interpreted as yonic symbols.

Early life

O'Keeffe was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. Her parents Francis Calyxtus O'Keeffe and Ida Totto O'Keeffe were dairy farmers. She was the first girl and the second of seven O'Keeffe children. She attended Town Hall School in Wisconsin and received art instruction from local watercolorist Sarah Mann. She attended high school at Sacred Heart Academy in Madison, Wisconsin as a boarder between 1901 and 1902. In fall 1902 the O'Keeffes moved from Wisconsin to Williamsburg, Virginia, Georgia stayed in Wisconsin with her aunt and attended Madison High School, and joined her family in Willamsburg in 1903. She completed high school as a boarder at Chatham Episcopal Institute in Virginia, graduating in 1905.

In 1905 Georgia traveled to Chicago to study painting at the Art Institute of Chicago. In 1907 she enrolled at the Art Students' League in New York City, where she studied with William Merritt Chase. In 1908, she won the League's William Merritt Chase still-life prize for her oil painting Untitled (Dead Rabbit with Copper Pot). Her prize was a scholarship to attend the Leagues outdoor summer school at Lake George, New York. During her time in New York she became familiar with the gallery 291 owned by her future husband, photographer Alfred Stieglitz.

In fall 1908 O'Keeffe returned to Chicago, where she worked as an illustrator, and in 1910 she is thought to have fallen ill with measles and moved home to Virginia. She stopped painting for a period but was inspired to paint again after attending the University of Virginia Summer School in 1912 where she was introduced to the cutting edge ideas of Arthur Wesley Dow during a course run by Alon Bement. Dow's teachings empahsised the creation of abstract art based on line, color, mass, repetition, and symmetry and strongly influences O'Keefe's teaching and her own creatitive process. O'Keeffe taught art and penmanship in the public schools in Amarillo, Texas in 1912 until 1914, and she spent her summers in Charlottesville working as Bement's teaching assistant up to 1916 where she also met and studied with Dow. In 1914 and 1915 she studied teaching at Columbia University in New York, and in fall 1915 she started teaching at Columbia College in Columbia, South Carolina.

During her time in Columbia O'Keeffe decided to pursue a career as a visual artist. She created series of abstract charcoal drawings and sent some of her drawings to her friend Anita Pollitzer, who passed them on to Alfred Stieglitz. Stieglitz and O'Keeffe began to correspond in 1916, Stieglitz was impressed by the drawings and began negotiations with O'Keeffe to display her work, she allowed him to exhibit 10 of the drawings, they were shown in a group exhibition that opened on June 23, 1916; more of her work is shown in an informal group show in August 1916. On April 3, 1917 Steiglitz held, Georgia O'Keeffe, her first one-person show at his gallery, exhibiting many of the watercolors she had produced while in Vermont.

While her career as an artist had begun, O'Keeffe continued to pursue her teaching career. She returned to teachers college in March 1916 to attend a course in the teaching methods of Arthur Wesley Dow as a prerequisite to assuming position at West Texas State Normal College, Canyon. In August 1916 she moved to Texas to take up a teaching position. She took leave from her teaching position in February 1918 and remained living in Texas. She received an invitation to move to New York to work from Steiglitz in May 1918, and she did so, arriving on June 10 1918.

New York

When O'Keeffe arrived in New York City in 1918, Stieglitz arranged for O'Keeffe to move into his nieces unoccupied studio apartment. In July of that year Steiglitz left his wife Emmeline Obermeyer Stieglitz to live with O'Keeffe. At that time he also began to photograph O'Keeffe. Forty-five of his photographs, including numerous nudes modeled by O'Keeffe were exhibited in the Stieglitz retrospective exhibition held at The Anderson Galleries in February 1921. The images created a public sensation. In 1924, O'Keeffe and Stieglitz married, following the finalization of his divorce. O'Keeffe and Stieglitz spent their winters in Manhattan and their summers at the Stieglitz family house at Lake George in upstate New York.

During O'Keeffe's early years in New York she associated with many early American modernists including Charles Demuth, Arthur Dove, Marsden Hartley, John Marin, Paul Strand and Edward Steichen, their discussion at Steiglitz gallery influenced the direction of her work. Strand's photography was particularly influential, his landscapes and studies of pattern, shape and line geogograhical, abstracted from everyday objects by magnification were tools she adapted from his work for her own. From the time she arrived in New York she moved from charcoal and watercolor and began painting large canvases in oils and by the mid-1920s used large canvases for close-up objects.

During the 1920s O'Keeffe also produced a huge amount of landscapes and botanical studies during the annual trips to Lake George. She painted her first huge flower painting in 1924, Corn, Dark I, and they were first exhibited in 1925. Starting in 1926 she produced a significant body of works picturing urban landscapes and sky scrappers, examples include City Night; Radiator Building-Night, New York and New York Night. These images focus on the structure and the time of day.

With Stieglitz's connections in the arts community of New York, from 1923 he organized an O'Keeffe exhibition annually, O'Keeffe's work received a great deal of attention and commanded high prices, in 1928 six of her calla lily paintings sold for US$25,000, which was at the time the largest sum ever paid for a group of paintings by a living American artist.

New Mexico

In the summer of 1929 O'Keeffe went to New Mexico with Rebecca Strand. They went to Santa Fe and then on to Taos. Between 1929 and 1949 she traveled to New Mexico almost annually. During her second summer in New Mexico she began collecting and painting bones, and she painted many landscapes in New Mexico. Each year she returned to New York after painting in solitude, and Steiglitz organized exhibitions of her work at his gallery An American Place. In late 1932 O'Keeffe developed increasingly severe psychological symptoms and was hospitalized in early 1933, she did not paint again until January 1934. In August 1934 she first visited Ghost Ranch, near the village of Abiquiu in New Mexico, some of her most famous works are the landscapes she painted of Ghost Ranch.

In the late 1930's and 1940's O'Keeffe's reputation and popularity grew. She was given commissions and exhibitions in major galleries, in 1942 the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York established a project to catalog and list her work, in 1943 she was given a one-woman retrospective at the Art Institute of Chicago and in 1946 a one-woman exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the first ever given by that museum to a woman. She was also awarded honorary degrees by numerous universities, the first from the College of William and Mary in Virginia.

In 1946 Stieglitz died, O'Keeffe spent the next three years in New York settling his estate and in 1949 she moved to New Mexico permanently. Her works following Steiglitz death are regarded as being majestic, but lacking the emotion that was was present in her earlier works. During the 1950s O'Keeffe produced a series of paintings featuring the wall of her adobe house in Abiquiu. Her 1958 painting about death Ladder to the Moon, and following her first travels outside the United States she produced a large series of paintings of clouds Sky above Clouds, which were the views from airplane windows.

In 1962 she was elected to the 50 member American Academy of Arts and Letters. Toward the late 1960s, O'Keeffe's eyesight grew poor, such that by 1972 she could hardly see at all. O'Keeffe met potter Juan Hamilton in 1973 when he introduced himself to O'Keeffe and began doing household jobs for the artist. Hamilton eventually became O'Keeffe's very close companion. He assisted her with her final artworks, with the completion a book about her art called Georgia O'Keeffe published in 1976, and Perry Miller Adato video project Georgia O'Keeffe completed in 1976. The book and video, along with retrospective exhibitions revitalized interest in her work. She completed her final unassisted work in oil in 1972, and worked unassisted in watercolor and charcoal until 1978 and in graphite until 1984.

In 1984 O'Keeffe moved with Hamilton to his home in Santa Fe to be closer to medical facilities. Hamilton arranged for O'Keeffe to sign a codicil that left him virtually all of her property. She died at St. Vincent's Hospital, Santa Fe on March 6, 1986. She was cremated and her ashes scattered at Ghost Ranch.

Legacy

Following O'Keeffe's death her family contested her will and Hamilton was charged in New Mexico with using undue influence over Georgia O'Keeffe. The lawsuit was settled out of court and a not-for-profit foundation was established to oversee the disposition of her works to nonprofit organizations by 2006. As of May 2005 the foundations assets are to be donated to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, a museum established in Santa Fe in 1997 dedicated to perpetuating the artistic legacy of Georgia O'Keeffe.[1] Her personal papers were given to the Beinecke Library at Yale.

O'Keeffe was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame, she received 10 honorary doctorates, and several plays and many more books have been written about her life and her work. The United States Postal Service honored O'Keeffe by issuing a stamp of Red Poppy (1927).

Permanent collections of O'Keeffe's work include those at the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Boston Museum of Fine Arts; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; and the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.

In 1999 the two volume Georgia O'Keeffe : Catalogue Raisonné written by curator of the Georgia O'Keeffe museum Barbara Buhler Lynes was published. The catalogue reproduces and describes 2,045 objects, made by O'Keeffe between 1901 and 1984. In 1993 a series of 28 watercolours said to be painted by O'Keeffe while in 1916 to 1918 while in Texas collectively known as "The Canyon Suite" were bought by Kansas banker and philanthropist R. Crosby Kemper Jr. for US$5.5 million from art dealer Gerald Peters. Kemper gave the works to the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art. The National Gallery of Art and the Georgia O'Keeffe Foundation refused to include the works in a catalogue raisonné of the works of Georgia O'Keeffe, citing doubts about their authenticity. Questions about the authenticity of the suite created a huge scandal, and Peters bought the works back from the museum in 2001, many of the 28 watercolors are thought to be forgeries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_O%27Keeffe
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:00 am
Erwin Rommel

Born November 15, 1891
Heidenheim, Germany
Died October 14, 1944
Herrlingen, Germany

Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel (listen ▶(?)) (November 15, 1891 - October 14, 1944) was one of the most distinguished German Field Marshals and commander of the Deutsches Afrika Korps in World War II. He is also known by his nickname The Desert Fox (Wüstenfuchs, listen ▶(?)), for the skillful military campaigns he waged on behalf of the German Army in North Africa. He is often remembered not only for his remarkable military prowess, but also for his chivalry towards his adversaries.

Early life and career

Rommel was born in Heidenheim, approximately 50 km from Ulm, in the state of Württemberg. The second son of a Protestant Headmaster of the secondary school at Aalen, Erwin Rommel the elder and Helene von Luz, a daughter of a prominent local dignitary. The couple also had three more children, two sons, Karl and Gerhard, and a daughter, Helene. Later recalling his childhood, Rommel wrote that "my early years passed very happily". At the age of 14, Rommel and a friend built a full-scale glider that was able to fly, although not very far. Young Erwin considered becoming an engineer; however, on his father's insistence, he joined the local 124th Württemberg Infantry Regiment as an officer cadet in 1910 and, shortly after, was sent to the Officer Cadet School in Danzig.

While at Cadet School, early in 1911, Rommel met his future wife, Lucie Maria Mollin. Rommel and Lucie married in 1916. In 1928, they had a son, Manfred, who would later become the mayor of Stuttgart. Scholars Bierman and Smith argue, during this time, that Rommel also had an affair with Walburga Stemmer in 1912 and that relationship produced a daughter named Gertrud (1 p. 56). Rommel graduated from school in November 1911 and he was commissioned as a Lieutenant January 1912.

World War I

During World War I, Rommel served in France, as well as on the Romanian and Italian fronts, during which time he was wounded three times and awarded the Iron Cross - First and Second Class. Rommel became the youngest recipient of Prussia's highest medal, the Pour le Mérite, an honor traditionally reserved for generals only and which he received after fighting in the mountains of north-east Italy. The award came as a result specifically from the Battle of Longarone, and the capture of Mount Matajur and its defenders, numbering 150 Italian officers, 7000 men and 81 artillery guns. His batallion also played a key role in the decisive German victory over the Italian Army named the Battle of Caporetto.

Inter-War years

After the war Rommel held battalion commands, and was instructor at the Dresden Infantry School from 1929-1933 and the Potsdam War Academy from 1935-1938. Rommel's war diaries, Infanterie greift an (Infantry Attacks), published in 1937, became a highly regarded military textbook, and also attracted the attention of Adolf Hitler, who placed him in charge of the training of the Hitler Jugend that same year, all the while retaining his place at Potsdam. In 1938, Rommel, now a colonel, was appointed commandant of the War Academy at Wiener Neustadt. Here Rommel started his followup to Infantry Attacks, Panzer greift an (Tank Attacks sometimes translated as The Tank In Attack ). Rommel was removed after a short time; however, he was placed in command of Adolf Hitler's personal protection battalion (Führer-Begleitbattalion).

World War II

Poland 1939

In the autumn of 1938 Hitler selected Rommel to be in charge of the Wehrmacht unit assigned to protect him during his visits to occupied Czechoslovakia. Just prior to the invasion of Poland he was promoted to Major General and made commander of the Führer-Begleitbattalion, responsible for the safety of Adolf Hitler's mobile headquarters during the campaign.

France 1940

In 1940, only three months before the invasion, Rommel was given command of the 7th Panzer Division, later nicknamed Gespenster-Division (the "Ghost Division", due to the speed and surprise it was consistently able to achieve, to the point that even the German High Command lost track of where it was), for Fall Gelb ("Case Yellow"), the invasion of France and the Low Countries. Remarkably, this was Rommel's first command of a Panzer unit. He showed considerable skill in this operation, repulsing a counter-attack by the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) at Arras. 7th Panzer was one of the first German units to reach the English Channel (on 10 June) and would capture the vital port of Cherbourg (19 June). As a reward Rommel was promoted and appointed commander of the 5th Light Division (later reorganized and redesignated as the 21st Panzer) and of the 15th Panzer Division, which were sent to Libya in early 1941 to aid the defeated and demoralized Italian troops, forming the Deutsches Afrika Korps. It was in Africa where Rommel achieved his greatest fame as a commander.

Africa 1941-43

Rommel spent most of 1941 building his organization and re-forming the shattered Italian units, who had suffered a string of defeats at the hands of British Commonwealth forces under Major General Richard O'Connor. An offensive pushed the Allied forces back out of Libya, but it stalled a relatively short way into Egypt, and the important port of Tobruk, although surrounded, was still held by Allied forces under an Australian General, Leslie Morshead. The Allied Commander-in-Chief, General Archibald Wavell made two unsuccessful attempts to relieve the seige ( Operation Brevity and Operation Battleaxe ).

Following the costly failure of Battleaxe, Wavell swapped commands with the British Commander-in-Chief India, General Claude Auchinleck. Auchinleck launched a major offensive to relieve Tobruk ( Operation Crusader ) which eventually succeeded. However, when this offensive ran out of steam, Rommel struck.

In a classic blitzkrieg, Rommel outflanked the British at Gazala, surrounded and reduced the strongpoint at Bir Hakeim and forced the British to quickly retreat, in the so-called "Gazala Gallop", to avoid being completely cut off. Tobruk, isolated and alone, was now all that stood between the Afrika Korps and Egypt. On 21 June 1942, after a swift, coordinated and fierce combined arms assault, the city surrendered along with its 33,000 defenders. Only at the fall of Singapore, earlier that year, had more British and Commonwealth troops been captured. Allied forces were comprehensively beaten. Within weeks they had been pushed back far into Egypt.

Rommel's offensive was eventually stopped at the small railway town of El Alamein, just 60 miles from Cairo. The First Battle of El Alamein was lost by Rommel due to a combination of supply problems and improved Allied tactics. The Allies, with their backs against the wall, were very close to their supplies and had fresh troops on hand to reinforce their positions. Auchinleck's tactics of continually attacking the weaker Italian forces during the battle forced Rommel to use the Deutsches Afrika Korps in a "Fire Brigade" role and placed the initiative in Allied hands. Rommel tried again to break through the Allied lines during the Battle of Alam Halfa. He was decisively stopped by the newly arrived Allied commander, Lieutenant General Bernard Montgomery; mainly due to the fact that the allies had devised a machine capable of deciphering German communications, thus alerting them to Rommel's battle plan prior to the battle. This was known as the "Ultra".

With Allied forces from Malta interdicting his supplies at sea, and the massive distances they had to cover in the desert, Rommel could not hold the El Alamein position forever. Still, it took a large set piece battle, the Second Battle of El Alamein, to force his troops back. After the defeat at El Alamein, despite urgings from Hitler and Mussolini, Rommel's forces did not again stand and fight until they had entered Tunisia. Even then, their first battle was not against the British Eighth Army, but against the U.S. II Corps. Rommel inflicted a sharp reversal on the American forces at the Battle of the Kasserine Pass.

Turning once again to face the British Commonwealth forces in the old French border defences of the Mareth Line, Rommel could only delay the inevitable. Ultra was a major factor that led to the defeat of his forces. He left Africa after falling sick, and the men of his former command eventually became prisoners of war.

Some historians contrast Rommel's withdrawal of his army back to Tunisia against Hitler's dreams of much greater success than even his capture of Tobruk (in sharp contrast to the fate suffered by the German 6th Army at the Battle of Stalingrad under the command of Friedrich Paulus which stood its ground and was annihilated).

France 1943-1944

Back in Germany, Rommel was for some time virtually "unemployed". However, when the tide of war shifted against Germany, Hitler made Rommel the commander of Army Group B, responsible for defending the French coast against a possible Allied invasion. Dismayed with the situation he found, the slow building pace and realizing he had just months before an invasion, Rommel invigorated the whole fortification effort along the Atlantic coast, under his direction work was significantly speeded up, millions of mines laid, and thousands of tank traps and obstacles were set up on beaches and throughout the countryside.

After his battles in Africa, Rommel concluded that any offensive movements would be impossible due to the overwhelming Allied air superiority. He argued that the tank forces should be dispersed in small units and kept in heavily fortified positions located as close to the front as possible, so they wouldn't have to move far and en masse when the invasion started. He wanted the invasion stopped right on the beaches. However his commander, Gerd von Rundstedt, felt that there was no way to stop the invasion near the beaches due to the equally overwhelming firepower of the Royal Navy. He felt the tanks should be formed into large units well inland near Paris, where they could allow the Allies to extend into France and then be cut off. When asked to pick a plan, Hitler then vacillated and placed them in the middle, far enough to be useless to Rommel, not far enough to watch the fight for von Rundstedt. Rommel's plan nearly came to fruition anyway.

During D-Day several tank units, notably the 12th SS Panzer Division, were near enough to the beaches and created serious havoc. The overwhelming Allied numbers and Hitler's refusal to release the Panzer reserves in time made any success unlikely, however, and soon the beachhead was secure.

The plot against Hitler

On July 17, 1944 Rommel's staff car was strafed by an RCAF Spitfire, and he was hospitalized with major head injuries. In the meantime, after the failed July 20 Plot against Adolf Hitler a major crackdown was conducted throughout the Wehrmacht. As the investigation proceeded, numerous connections started appearing that tied Rommel with the conspiracy, in which many of his closest aides were deeply involved. At the same time, local Nazi party officials reported on Rommel's extensive and scornful criticism of Nazi leadership during the time he was hospitalized. Bormann was certain of Rommel's involvement, Goebbels was not.

The true extent of Rommel's knowledge of, or involvement with, the plot is still unclear. After the war, however, his wife maintained that Rommel had been against the plot as it was carried out. It has been stated that Rommel wanted to avoid giving future generations of Germans the perception that the war was lost because of a backstab, the infamous Dolchstoßlegende, as it was commonly believed by some Germans following WWI. Instead, he favored a coup where Hitler would be taken alive and made to stand trial before the public.

Due to Rommel's popularity with the German people, Hitler gave him an option to commit suicide with cyanide or face a humiliating sham trial before Roland Freisler's "People's Court" and retaliation against his family and staff. Rommel ended his own life on October 14, 1944, and was buried with full military honours. After the war his diary was published as The Rommel Papers. He is the only member of the Third Reich establishment to have a museum dedicated to his person and his career.

Battles of Erwin Rommel

* Battle of Arras (1940)
* Siege of Tobruk (1941)
* Battle of Gazala (1942)
* Battle of Bir Hakeim (1942)
* First Battle of El Alamein (1942)
* Battle of Alam Halfa (1942)
* Second Battle of El Alamein (1942)
* Battle of the Kasserine Pass (1943)
* Battle of Normandy (1944)

In fiction

In Douglas Niles's and Michael Dobson's alternate history novel Fox on the Rhine, Hitler was killed by the bomb plot of July 20th, 1944. This led to Rommel's survival, and a different quick offensive strike. This was repelled and the book ended with his surrender to the Americans and British, believing that the Germans would be better off with the western powers than with the Soviets. Fox on the Rhine was followed by a sequel book Fox on the Front.

He was portrayed by James Mason in the 1951 movie The Desert Fox, and also by Karl Michael Vogler in the 1970 biographical film Patton, starring George C. Scott, and by Hardy Kruger in the 1988 television miniseries War and Remembrance.

In Philip K. Dick's Alternate History novel "The Man in the High Castle", it is mentioned that Rommel is currently the Nazi-appointed president of the United States of America in the early 1960s.

Quotations
Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to:
Erwin Rommel

* The British Parliament considered a censure vote against Winston Churchill following the surrender of Tobruk. The vote failed, but in the course of the debate, Churchill would say:
o "We have a very daring and skillful opponent against us, and, may I say across the havoc of war, a great General."
* Theodor Werner was an officer who, during World War I, served under Rommel.
o "Anybody who came under the spell of his personality turned into a real soldier. He seemed to know what the enemy were like and how they would react."
* Attributed to General George S. Patton in North Africa (referring to "The Tank In Attack")
o "Rommel, you magnificent bastard! I read your book!"

Quotations of Erwin Rommel

* "Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both."
* "Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas."
* "The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."
* "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
* "In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
* "Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."
* "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."
* "A risk is a chance you take; if it fails you can recover. A gamble is a chance taken; if it fails, recovery is impossible."
* "There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do."
* "What difference does it make if you have two tanks to my one, when you spread them out and let me smash them in detail?"
* "The best plan is the one made when the battle is over."
* "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
* "The officers of a panzer division must learn to think and act independently within the framework of the general plan and not wait until they receive orders."
* "Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders."
* "Be an example to your men, in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide."
* "The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoption compromise solutions."
* "Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success."
* "The art of concentrating strength at one point, forcing a breakthrough, rolling up and securing the flanks on either side, and then penetrating like lightning deep into his rear, before the enemy has time to react-is Blitzkrieg."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:05 am
Ed Asner

Yitzhak Edward Asner (born November 15, 1929 in Kansas City, Kansas) is a Jewish-American actor best known for his Emmy-winning role as Lou Grant on Mary Tyler Moore, and later continued in a spinoff series, Lou Grant. The series was the longest lasting show about newspapers, and one that many professional reporters and editors heralded as realistic. He has a son and a daughter, Matthew and Kate.

Edward Asner is also internationally known as the slaver Captain Davies, from the mini-series Roots, which kidnapped Kunta Kinte into bondage. While Asner's character in Roots was highly developed, full of metaphors on tortured ethics and the morality of slavery, Alex Haley would later admit he had no idea who the actual Captain was who had commanded the historic slaver which had kidnapped his ancestor.

Asner has also had an extensive voice acting career. He provided the voices for J. Jonah Jameson on the 1990s Spider-Man series, Hudson on Gargoyles, Jabba the Hutt on the radio version of Star Wars, Master Vrook from the Star Wars video game Knights of the Old Republic, Roland Daggett on Batman: The Animated Series, and Cosgrove on Freakazoid.

A vocal leftist, Asner served two terms as president of the Screen Actors Guild, where he controversially opposed U.S. policy in Central America. He has also been active in a variety of other causes, such as the movement to free Mumia Abu-Jamal, and is a prominent member of the Democratic Socialists of America. His political position may also have motivated him to play the voice of the pig-like villain Hoggish Greedly on the pro-environmental animated series Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Asner served as the spokesman for 2004 Racism Watch. In April 2004, he wrote an open letter to "peace and justice leaders" encouraging them to demand "full 9-11 truth" through an organization called the "9-11 Visibility Project."

Asner was treated successfully for prostate cancer some years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Asner
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:17 am
Petula Clark

Petula Sally Olwen Clark (born November 15, 1932), CBE, is a British singer, actress, and composer, best known for her upbeat popular international hits of the 1960s. With nearly 70 million recordings sold worldwide, she is the most successful British female recording artist to date. She also holds the distinction of having the longest span on the international pop charts of any artist, an astonishing fifty-one years - from 1954, when "The Little Shoemaker" made the UK Top Twenty, through 2005, when her CD "L'essentiel - 20 Succès Inoubliables" charted in Belgium.

The early years

Petula Clark was born in Epsom, Surrey. Her father, Leslie Clark, coined her first name, jokingly alleging it was a combination of the names of two former girlfriends, Pet and Ulla. Clark became a star of radio and film before reaching her early teens. As a child, she sang in the church choir; her first public performances were in a department store in suburban London, where she sang with an orchestra in the entrance hall for sweets and a gold wristwatch. In October 1942, she made her radio debut while attending a BBC broadcast with her father, hoping to send a message to an uncle stationed overseas. During an air raid, the producer requested that someone perform to settle the jittery audience, and Clark volunteered a rendition of "Mighty Lak a Rose" to an enthusiastic response in the theater. She then repeated her performance for the broadcast audience, launching a series of some 500 appearances in programs designed to entertain the troops. In addition to her radio work, Clark frequently toured the UK with fellow child performer Julie Andrews. She became known as "Britain's Shirley Temple," and was considered a mascot by both the RAF and the United States Army, whose troops plastered her photos on their tanks for good luck as they battled at El Alamein.

In 1944 at the age of 11 while performing at London's Royal Albert Hall, Clark was discovered by film director Maurice Elvey, who cast her as an orphaned waif in his weepy war drama Medal for the General. In quick succession, she starred in Strawberry Roan, I Know Where I'm Going, London Town, and Here Come the Huggetts, the first in a series of Huggett Family films similar to the Andy Hardy movies popular in the States. Although most of the films she made in the UK during the 1940s and '50s were grade-B, she did have the opportunity to work with Anthony Newley in Vice Versa (directed by Peter Ustinov) and Alec Guinness in The Card, considered by many to be a minor classic of British cinema.

In the late 1940s, Clark branched into recording with her first release, a cover of Teresa Brewer's "Music! Music! Music!," in Australia. Her father, whose own theatrical ambitions had been thwarted by his parents, teamed with Alan A. Freeman to form their own label, Polygon Records, in order to better control her singing career. She scored a number of major hits in the U.K. during the 1950s, including "The Little Shoemaker" (1954), "Majorca" (1955), "Suddenly There's a Valley" (1955), and "With All My Heart" (1957).

International fame

In 1958, Clark was invited to appear at the famed Olympia in Paris where, despite her misgivings, she was received with great acclaim. The following day she was summoned to the offices of Vogue Records to discuss a contract. It was there that she first met publicist Claude Woolf, to whom she was immediately attracted, and when told he would work with her if she signed with the label, she immediately agreed. Her initial French recordings were huge successes, and in 1960, she embarked on a concert tour of France and Belgium with the now-deceased French star Sasha Distel, who remained a close friend until his death in 2004. Gradually she moved further into the continent, recording in German, French, and Spanish, and firmly establishing herself as a multi-lingual performer.

In June 1961, Clark married Woolf, first in a civil ceremony in Paris, then a religious one in her native England. Desiring to escape the strictures of child stardom imposed upon her by the British public, and anxious to escape the influence of her Svengali-like father, she relocated to France, where she and Woolf had two daughters in quick succession, Barbara Michelle and Katherine Natalie, and later a son, Patrick, who was born in 1972. While she focused on her new career in France, she continued to achieve hit records in the U.K. into the early 1960s, thus developing a parallel career on both sides of the Channel. Her recording of "Sailor" became her first #1 hit in the U.K. in 1961, while such follow-up recordings as "Romeo" and "My Friend the Sea" landed her in the British Top Ten later that year. In addition to 1961's "Romeo", an international hit, such French recordings as "Ya Ya Twist" (a cover of the Lee Dorsey rhythm and blues song, "Ya Ya") and "Chariot" (the original version of "I Will Follow Him") became smash hits in France in 1962, while German and Italian versions of her English and French recordings charted, as well. Her recordings of several Serge Gainsbourg songs were also big sellers.

In 1963 and '64, Clark's British career floundered. Composer/arranger Tony Hatch, who had been assisting her with her work for both Vogue in France and Pye Records in the UK, flew to Paris with new material he hoped would interest her, but she found none of it appealing. Desperate, he played for her a few chords of an incomplete song that had been inspired by a recent first trip to New York City, which he intended to present to The Drifters. Upon hearing the music, Clark told him that if he could write lyrics as good as the melody, she wanted to record the tune as her next single. Thus "Downtown" came into being.

Neither Clark nor Hatch realized the impact the song would have on their respective careers. Released in four different languages in late 1964, "Downtown" was a huge success in the UK, France (in both English and French versions), Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Italy, and even Rhodesia and India. During a visit to the Vogue offices in Paris, Warner Brothers executive Joe Smith heard it and immediately acquired the rights for distribution in the States. "Downtown" went to #1 on the US charts in January 1965 and ultimately sold three million copies in America alone. It was the first of fifteen consecutive Top 40 hits Clark scored in the US, including "I Know A Place", "My Love", "A Sign of the Times", "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love", "Color My World", "This Is My Song" (from the Charles Chaplin film A Countess in Hong Kong), and "Don't Sleep in the Subway". The American recording industry honored her with Grammy Awards for "Best Rock & Roll Record" for "Downtown" in 1964 and for "Best Contemporary Female Vocal Performance" for "I Know a Place" in 1965. In 2003, her recording of "Downtown" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

In 1964, Clark wrote the musical score for the French crime caper A Couteaux Tirés (aka Daggers Drawn) and played a cameo as herself in the movie. Although it was only a mild success, it added a new dimension - that of film composer - to Clark's already impressive career.

The post-"Downtown" era

Clark's recording successes lead to frequent appearances on variety programs hosted by Ed Sullivan and Dean Martin, guest shots on Hullabaloo, Shindig, and The Hollywood Palace, and inclusion in musical specials such as The Best on Record and Rodgers and Hart Today. In 1968, NBC invited her to host her own special, and in doing so she inadvertently made television history. During a duet of an anti-war song she had composed, "On the Path of Glory," with guest Harry Belafonte, Clark innocently touched his arm, much to the dismay of a representative from Chrysler, the show's sponsor. When he insisted they substitute a different take, with Clark and Belafonte standing well away from each other, she and husband Woolf, producer of the show, refused and delivered the finished program to NBC with the touch intact. It aired to high ratings and much critical acclaim, and marked the first time a man and woman of different races touched on American television. Clark subsequently hosted two more specials, another for NBC and one for ABC, which served as a pilot for a projected weekly series. She eventually declined the offer in order to appease her children, who disliked living in Los Angeles.

Throughout the 1960s and '70s, Clark toured in concert extensively throughout the States, and often appeared in supper clubs such as the famed Copacabana in New York City, the Ambassador Grove in Los Angeles, and the Empire Room at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel, where she consistently broke house attendance records. During this period, she also appeared in print and radio ads for Coca Cola, television commercials for Plymouth, print and TV spots for Burlington Industries in the US, television and print ads for Chrysler Sunbeam, and print ads for Sanderson Wallpaper in the U.K.

Clark revived her film career in the late 1960s, starring in two big musical films: Finian's Rainbow (1968) opposite Fred Astaire (for which she was nominated for a Best Actress Golden Globe Award), and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969) with Peter O'Toole. (Her last film to date was the British production Never Never Land, released in 1980.) After this, her output of hits in the States diminished markedly, although she continued to record and make television appearances into the 1970s. By the mid-1970s, she scaled back her career in order to devote more time to her family.

Herb Alpert and his A&M record label benefitted from Clark's interest in encouraging new talent. When she heard the then-unknown Carpenters perform at a premiere party for Goodbye, Mr. Chips, she brought them to his attention, and he immediately signed them to a contract. In later years, she brought French composer/arranger Michel Colombier to the States to work as her musical director and introduced him, as well, to Alpert. (He went on to co-write Purple Rain with Prince, composed the acclaimed pop symphony Wings, and a number of soundtracks for American films.)

In 1954, Clark had starred in a stage production of The Constant Nymph, but it wasn't until 1981, at the urging of her children, that she returned to legitimate theater, starring as Maria von Trapp in The Sound of Music in London's West End. Opening to rave reviews and what was then the largest advance sale in British theater history, Clark extended her initial six-month run to thirteen to accommodate the huge demand for tickets. In 1983, she took on the title role in George Bernard Shaw's Candida. Later stage work includes Someone Like You in 1989 and 1990, for which she composed the score; Blood Brothers, in which she made her Broadway debut in 1993, followed by the US tour; and Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard, appearing in both the West End and U.S. touring productions from 1995 through 2000. In 2004, she repeated her performance of Norma Desmond in a production at the Cork Opera House in the Republic of Ireland, which was later broadcast by the BBC. With more than 2500 performances, she has played the role more often than any other actress.

In both 1998 and 2003, Clark toured extensively throughout the U.K. In 2004, she toured Australia and New Zealand, appeared in sell-out performances at the Hilton in Atlantic City, the Hummingbird Centre in Toronto, Humphrey's in San Diego, and the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, and participated in a multi-performer tribute to the late Peggy Lee at the Hollywood Bowl. A 2003 concert appearance at the Olympia in Paris has been issued in both DVD and CD formats. A studio recording of all new material is in the planning stages, and she is scheduled to appear with Andy Williams in his Moon River Theater in Branson, Missouri for several months in 2005, following another U.K. concert tour in early spring.

In 1998, Clark was honored by Queen Elizabeth II by being made a CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petula_Clark

This Is My Song :: Petula Clark

Why is my heart so light
Why are the stars so bright
Why is the sky so blue
Since the hour I met you

Flowers are smiling bright
Smiling for our delight
Smiling so tenderly
For the world, you and me

I know why the world is smiling
Smiling so tenderly
Its just the same old story
Thru all eternity

Love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you
The world cannot be wrong
If in this world there's you
I care not what the world may say
Without your love there is no day
So Love, this is my song
Here is a song, a serenade to you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:29 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

dj, thanks for playing Crossroads because it reminds us here that we are often faced with which direction to take in life.

Bob, all of your bios are great and informative, but of particular interest was "the desert fox", Rommel. Hitler made one blunder after another and the execution of his most brilliant generals, was just one.

I was also interested in Georgia O'Keeffe, and need to do some research on her artistry.

Song for the morning:

Il est arrivé
Par un matin de mai
Et du premier jour
J'ai su que je l'aimais
Vous allez sourire
Il m'a semblé que j'avais
Du soleil au coeur
Du soleil au coeur
C'étrait lui
Qui brillait dans ma vie

He arrived
A morning in may
And since the first day
I knew i was loving him
You will smile
I thought i had
Sunshine in my heart
Sunshine in my heart
It was him
Shinning in my life

Le temps a passé
Si bien que je ne sais
Si on s'est connus
Un jour ou une année
Mais je peux vous dire
Que j'ai encore aujourd'hui
Du soleil au coeur
Du soleil au coeur
Comme au jour
De notre premier jour

Celine Dion
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
Good morning WA2K.

Today's birthdays:

1316 - King John I of France (d. 1316)
1397 - Pope Nicholas V (d. 1455)
1498 - Eleonore of Austria, Queen of Portugal and France (d. 1558)
1511 - Johannes Secundus, Dutch poet (d. 1536)
1556 - Jacques-Davy Duperron, French cardinal (d. 1618)
1559 - Archduke Albert of Austria, Governor of the Low Countries (d. 1621)
1607 - Madeleine de Scudéry, French writer (d. 1701)
1660 - Hermann von der Hardt, German historian (d. 1746)
1661 - Christoph von Graffenried, Swiss settler in America (d. 1743)
1692 - Eusebius Amort, German Catholic theologian (d. 1775)
1708 - William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, English politician (d. 1778)
1731 - William Cowper, English poet (d. 1800)
1738 - William Herschel, German-born astronomer (d. 1822)
1741 - Johann Kaspar Lavater, German philosopher (d. 1801)
1784 - Jerome Bonaparte, French King of Westphalia (d. 1860)
1859 - Christopher Hornsrud, Prime Minister of Norway (d.1960)
1862 - Gerhart Hauptmann, German dramatist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1946)
1879 - Lewis Stone, American actor (d. 1953)
1881 - Franklin Pierce Adams, American newspaper columnist (d. 1960)
1882 - Felix Frankfurter, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1965)
1886 - René Guénon, French-Egyptian author (d. 1951)
1887 - Marianne Moore, American poet (d. 1972)
1887 - Georgia O'Keeffe, American painter (d. 1986)
1889 - King Manuel II of Portugal (d. 1932)
1890 - Richmal Crompton, British author (d. 1969)
1891 - Averell Harriman, American businessman and politician (d. 1986)
1891 - Erwin Rommel, German field marshal (d. 1944)
1895 - Antoni Słonimski, Polish writer (d. 1976)
1897 - Aneurin Bevan, British politician (d. 1960)
1897 - Sacheverell Sitwell, English writer (d. 1988)
1899 - Iskander Mirza, first President of Pakistan (d. 1969)
1903 - Stewie Dempster, New Zealand cricketer (d. 1974)
1905 - Mantovani, Italian-born composer, musician, and arranger (d. 1980)
1906 - Curtis LeMay, U.S. Air Force general (d. 1990)
1907 - Claus von Stauffenberg, German army colonel who plotted to assassinate Hitler (d. 1944)
1913 - Arthur Haulot, Belgian journalist and resistance fighter (d. 2005)
1925 - Howard Baker, U.S. Senator from Tennessee and White House Chief of Staff
1925 - Yuli Daniel, Russian writer (d. 1988)
1929 - Ed Asner, American actor
1930 - J. G. Ballard, British author
1931 - Pascal Lissouba, Republic of the Congo politician
1932 - Petula Clark, English singer
1932 - Clyde McPhatter, American singer (d. 1972)
1936 - Wolf Biermann, German writer
1937 - Little Willie John, American singer (d. 1968)
1937 - Yaphet Kotto, American actor
1940 - Sam Waterston, American actor
1942 - Daniel Barenboim, Argentine-born pianist and conductor
1945 - Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Norwegian singer (ABBA)
1947 - Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico
1951 - Beverly D'Angelo, American actress
1954 - Aleksander Kwaśniewski, President of Poland
1956 - Michael Hampton, American guitarist (Funkadelic)
1957 - Kevin Eubanks, American jazz guitarist
1963 - Benny Elias, Australian rugby player
1965 - Nigel Bond, English snooker player
1968 - Ol' Dirty Bastard, American rapper (d. 2004)
1969 - Shane Mack, American politician
1970 - Patrick Mboma, Cameroonian footballer
1979 - Josemi, Spanish footballer
1986 - Sania Mirza, Indian tennis player
1988 - Zena Grey, American actress

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/petulaultimate.jpg
http://www.refugeesinternational.org/files/2861_image1_ri25-samwaterston.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:12 am
Ah, listeners. There's our Raggedy, Johnny on the spot. (wonder where that expression came from?)

I love Sam Waterston, folks. I like the way he looks; and I like his style of acting.

Did Petula Clark do "Downtown"? My sister identified with her, somehow.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:32 am
You are correct. Give the lady a kewpie doll.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:02 am
Ah, folks. A doll from the hawkman is better than a panda from the park.

So here is a song for our Bawstin' Bob:

Party Doll - Buddy Knox
(Bowen - Knox)
Tabbed by Andrew D. Crews ([email protected])

A
Well, all I want is a party doll

To come along with me when I'm feelin' wild

To be everlovin', true, and fair
(tacet)
To run his fingers through my hair

CHORUS:
A
Come along and be my party doll
E A
A D
E A
And I'll make love to you, to you
E A
I'll make love to you
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:16 am
Downtown :: Petula Clark

When you're alone and life is making you lonely
You can always go - downtown.
When you've got worries all the noise and the hurry
Seems to help
I know - downtown.
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?
The lights are much brighter there
you can forget all your troubles
Forget all your cares
so go - downtown
Things will be great when you're - downtown
No finer place for sure - downtown
Everything's waiting for you - downtown.

Don't hang around and let your problems surround you
There are movie shows - downtown.
Maybe you know some little places to go to where they never close -
downtown.
Just listen to the rhythm of a gentle bossa nova
You'll be dancing with 'em too before the night is over happy again.
The lights are much brighter there
you can forget all your troubles
Forget all your cares
so go - downtown
Where all the lights are bright - downtown
waiting for you tonight - downtown
you're gonna be alright now
downtown
downtown
downtown

And you may find somebody kind to help and understand you
Someone who is just like you
and needs a gentle hand to guide them along.
So maybe I'll see you there
we can forget all our troubles
Forget all our cares
so go - downtown
Things will be great when you're - downtown
don't wait a minute more - downtown
Everything is waiting for you -
downtown
downtown
downtown
downtown.
0 Replies