WA2K Radio is now on the air

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 12:46 am
yitwail wrote:
Reyn, i get the picture, thanks. hope nobody minded my providing a little info, for anyone not familiar with the geography of Arizona.

I sure didn't, and, after all, this is Able2Know.

You can be my fool any day! :wink:
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:18 am
'k, Reyn. as long as you keep in mind what our leader once said,

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:02 am
Good morning, all. Many things to do today, so I will drop in occasionally just to say, "hello!" <smile>

Keep us on the air.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:15 am
Just heard Freddie Mercury and Queen on the radio-

"We Are The Champions"

Classic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:18 am
And hello to you, Letty, just before I head off to bed. Very Happy I'm thinking of you.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:30 am
Once again, the King was Billboard number one this week in 1957:

Jailhouse Rock

The warden threw a party in the county jail.
The prison band was there and they began to wail.
The band was jumpin' and the joint began to swing.
You should've heard those knocked out jailbirds sing.
Let's rock, everybody, let's rock.
Everybody in the whole cell block
was dancin' to the Jailhouse Rock.

Spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone,
Little Joe was blowin' on the slide trombone.
The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang,
the whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang.

Number forty-seven said to number three:
"You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
I sure would be delighted with your company,
come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me."

The sad sack was a sittin' on a block of stone
way over in the corner weepin' all alone.
The warden said, "Hey, buddy, don't you be no square.
If you can't find a partner use a wooden chair."

Shifty Henry said to Bugs, "For Heaven's sake,
no one's lookin', now's our chance to make a break."
Bugsy turned to Shifty and he said, "Nix nix,
I wanna stick around a while and get my kicks."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:15 am
Good Morning to all.

You are in my thoughts, Letty. Smile

McTag mentioned "Queen" and I'm now remembering how much I enjoyed their songs that were featured in the movie "Highlander". Especially, "Kind of Magic".

DJ played a Paxton favorite, The Last Thing on My Mind. I once had a tape from radio that I really liked of "Them" performing that song. Never was able to find it on CD though.

And today's birthdays are:

1391 - Edmund de Mortimer, 5th Earl of March, English politician (d. 1425)
1479 - Joanna of Castile, queen of Philip I of Castile (d. 1555)
1494 - Suleiman the Magnificent, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1566)
1510 - John Caius, English physician (d. 1573)
1661 - King Charles II of Spain (d. 1700)
1692 - Louis Racine, French poet (d. 1763)
1814 - Adolphe Sax, Belgian inventor (d.1894)
1833 - Jonas Lie, Norwegian author (d.1908)
1841 - Nelson W. Aldrich, U.S. Senator from Rhode Island (d. 1915)
1841 - Armand Fallières, French president (d. 1931)
1851 - Charles Dow, American journalist and economist (d.1902)
1854 - John Philip Sousa, American composer (d. 1932)
1855 - Ezra Seymour Gosney, American philanthropist and eugenicist (d. 1942)
1860 - Ignace Paderewski, Polish pianist, composer, and President of Poland (d.1941)
1861 - James Naismith, Canadian inventor of basketball (d. 1939)
1880 - Robert Musil, Austrian novelist (d. 1942)
1887 - Walter Johnson, baseball player (d. 1946)
1892 - Harold Ross, American editor (d.1951)
1914 - Jonathan Harris, American actor (d. 2002)
1916 - Ray Conniff, American composer and conductor (d.2002)
1921 - James Jones, American writer (d. 1977)
1931 - Mike Nichols, German director
1938 - Mack Jones, baseball player (d. 2004)
1938 - P.J. Proby, Texas-born, England-based singer and actor
1939 - Michael Schwerner, American civil rights activist (d. 1964)
1946 - Sally Field, American actress
1948 - Glenn Frey, American singer (Eagles)
1949 - Arturo Sandoval, Cuban-born trumpeter
1949 - Brad Davis, American actor (d. 1991)
1955 - Maria Shriver, American journalist
1957 - Lori Singer, American actress
1957 - Klaus Kleinfeld, German industrialist
1965 - Greg Graffin, American singer (Bad Religion)
1966 - Christian Lorenz, German keyboardist (Rammstein)
1970 - Ethan Hawke, American actor
1972 - Thandie Newton, Zambian actress
1972 - Garry Flitcroft, English footballer
1973 - Nell McAndrew, British model
1976 - Pat Tillman, American football player (d. 2004)
1976 - Mike Herrera, American singer and bassist (mxpx)
1979 - Lamar Odom, American basketball player
1987 - Ana Ivanovic, Serbian tennis player

JAMES JONES
:

http://www.technofile.com/images/from_here_to_eternity.jpg
http://www.culturevulture.net/Theater4/goatfield4.jpghttp://www.dvdventas.com/imagenes/FILMS/VIEW/foto_1547.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:32 am
Raggedyaggie wrote:

DJ played a Paxton favorite, The Last Thing on My Mind. I once had a tape from radio that I really liked of "Them" performing that song. Never was able to find it on CD though.

hmm, i'd like to hear that myself, maybe some searching is in order
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:39 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:44 am
John Philip Sousa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

John Philip Sousa or John Philip de Sousa (November 6, 1854 - March 6, 1932), popularly known as "The March King", is probably the most famous conductor and composer in history of military marches.

Early life

Sousa was born in Washington, D.C. to John António de Sousa (born in Spain to Portuguese parents) and his wife, Maria Elisabeth Trinkhaus (born in Bavaria). In 1867, his father enlisted Sousa (then age 13) in the United States Marine Corps as an apprentice after he attempted to run away and join a circus.

He left it after several years to join a theatrical band. He soon began conducting, and returned to the U.S. Marine Band as its head in 1880. During this time, Sousa also led the marching band of Gonzaga College High School.

Sousa organized his own band in 1892. It toured widely, and in 1900 represented the United States at the Paris Exposition before touring Europe. Sousa repeatedly refused to conduct on the radio, fearing the lack of personal contact with the audience; he was persuaded to do so in 1929, and was very successful.

Other music

In addition to hundreds of marches, Sousa wrote ten operas and a number of musical suites.

Sousa exhibited many talents aside from music. He authored three novels and a full length autobiography as well as a great number of articles and letters-to-the-editor on a variety of subjects. As a trapshooter, he ranks as one of the all-time greats, and his skill as a horseman met championship criteria.

He was in the vanguard of the reactionary camp in the music piracy wars of his era (cf. Recording Industry Association of America), in which authors of sheet music railed against the upstart recording industry. In a submission to a congressional hearing in 1906, he argued that:

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy ... in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.

Other music

In addition to hundreds of marches, Sousa wrote ten operas and a number of musical suites.

Sousa exhibited many talents aside from music. He authored three novels and a full length autobiography as well as a great number of articles and letters-to-the-editor on a variety of subjects. As a trapshooter, he ranks as one of the all-time greats, and his skill as a horseman met championship criteria.

He was in the vanguard of the reactionary camp in the music piracy wars of his era (cf. Recording Industry Association of America), in which authors of sheet music railed against the upstart recording industry. In a submission to a congressional hearing in 1906, he argued that:

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy ... in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Sousa
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
Ignacy Jan Paderewski
(Redirected from Ignace Paderewski)

Ignacy Jan Paderewski (November 6, 1860 - June 29, 1941) was a Polish virtuoso pianist, composer, diplomat and politician, the third Prime Minister of Poland.

Biography

Ignacy Jan Paderewski was born in the village of Kuryłówka in the province of Podolia, Poland. His father was working there as an economist in the local mansion. His mother, Poliksena née Nowicka, died several months after Paderewski was born and he was brought up by his distant relatives.

From his early childhood Paderewski was interested in music. Initially he took piano classes with a private teacher. At the age of 12, in 1872, he went to Warsaw and was admitted to the Warsaw Conservatorium. After graduating in 1878 he was asked to become a tutor of piano classes in his alma mater, which he accepted. In 1880 he married Antonina Korsakówna and soon their first child was born. The following year, however, it turned out that the son was handicapped; soon afterward, Antonina died. Paderewski decided to devote himself to music and in 1881 he went to Berlin to study music composition with Friedrich Kiel and Heinrich Urban. In 1884 he moved to Vienna, where he was a pupil of Teodor Leszetycki. There he also made his first public appearance in 1887.

He soon gathered much popularity and his following appearances (in Paris in 1889 and in London in 1890) were a major success. His brilliant playing created a furore which went to almost extravagant lengths of admiration; and his triumphs were repeated in the United States in 1891. His name at once became synonymous with the highest level of piano playing, and society was at his feet.

Paderewski is remembered by many for his quote on the need for endurance in perfecting a skill: "If I don't practice for one day, I know it; if I don't practice for two days, the critics know it; if I don't practice for three days, the audience knows it."

In 1899 he married Baroness de Rosen, and after 1900 he seldom appeared in public; rather, he became better known as a composer, chiefly of pieces for piano. In 1901 his opera Manru was performed at Dresden. He was also active as a social worker and donor. For instance, in 1910 he donated to the inhabitants of Kraków the Battle of Grunwald Monument. In 1913 Paderewski settled in the USA.

During World War I, Paderewski became an active member of the Polish National Committee in Paris, which was soon accepted by the Entente as the representation of the allied Poland, even though the country was still under German and Austro-Hungarian occupation. He became a spokesman of that organisation and soon also formed other social and political organisations, among them the Polish Relief Fund in London.

In April 1918, he met in New York City with leaders of the American Jewish Committee, including Louis Marshall, in an unsuccessful attempt to broker a deal whereby organized Jewish groups would support Polish territorial ambitions in exchange for support for equal rights. However, it soon became clear that no plan would satisfy both Jewish leaders and Roman Dmowski, head of the Polish National Committee. [Riff, 1992, 89-90]

At the end of the war, when the fate of the city of Poznań and the whole region of Greater Poland was still undecided, Paderewski visited Poznań. With his public speech on 27 December 1918, Polish inhabitants of Poznań started a military uprising against Germany, called the Great Poland Uprising.

In 1919, in the newly independent Poland, Paderewski became the Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Poland (January, 1919 - November, 1919). As such, he represented Poland on the Paris Peace Conference. After his term ended he became the Polish ambassador to the League of Nations.

In 1922 he retired from political career and returned to concert life. His first concert after a long break was held in the Carnegie Hall and became a significant success. Soon he moved to Morges in Switzerland. After Piłsudski's coup d'etat in 1926, Paderewski became an active member of the opposition to Sanacja rule. In 1936 in his mansion a coalition of members of the opposition was signed; it was nicknamed the Front Morges after the name of the village.

After the Polish Defence War of 1939 Paderewski returned to public life. In 1940 he became the head of the Polish National Council, a Polish parliament in exile in London. The eighty-year-old artist also restarted his Polish Relief Fund and gave several concerts (most notably in the United States) to gather money for it.

During one such tour in 1941, Paderewski died suddenly in New York, at 11:00 p.m. on June 29. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington Virginia, near Washington D.C.. In 1992, his ashes were brought to Warsaw and placed in a crypt in St. John's Cathedral.

Currently, in every major city in Poland there is a street named after Paderewski. There is also a street named for him in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. In addition, the Academy of Music in Poznań is named after him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignace_Paderewski
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:52 am
James Jones (author)

James Jones (November 6, 1921 - May 9, 1977) is an American author most famous for his explorations of World War II and its aftermath.

Life

Jones was born in 1921 in Robinson, Illinois. He served in the US 25th Infantry Division during World War II, and was injured in the Battle of Guadalcanal.

His wartime experiences inspired some of his most famous works. He witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor, which led to his first novel, From Here to Eternity. He wrote The Thin Red Line about the Battle of Guadalcanal. From Here to Eternity won the National Book Award in 1952. It has been named one of the 100 best novels of the 20th century by the Modern Library.

He assisted in the formation of the Handy Writers' Colony in Marshall, Illinois.

Miscellaneous

From Here to Eternity was loosely based on Jones's experiences in the 19th Infantry Regiment, Company E ("The Boxing Company"). Fellow company member Hal Gould said that while the novel was based on the company including some real people, the characters are changed, the harsh conditions and the events are fictional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jones_%28author%29
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:54 am
Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols (born November 6, 1931 as Michael Igor Peschkowsky in Berlin, Germany) is an Academy Award-winning movie and stage director of films such as The Graduate and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.

Nichols was born to a Russian Jewish family in 1931. In 1939, his father fled the Nazis by moving the family to the U.S. While attending the University of Chicago in the 1950s, he began work in improvisational comedy with the Compass Players troupe (a precursor to The Second City) and later started the long-running Midnight Special folk music program on radio station WFMT. He teamed up to form a comedy team with Elaine May, with whom he appeared in nightclubs, on radio, released best-selling records, guested on several television programs and had their own show on Broadway before moving on to other pursuits in 1961. May frequently writes or re-writes scripts for Nichols, including The Birdcage and Primary Colors.

Nichols moved on to Broadway directing, helming such hits by Neil Simon as Barefoot in the Park and The Odd Couple. His first major film direction was the adaptation of another play, Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in 1966, for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director. His next film, The Graduate, spoke to a disaffected generation and made Dustin Hoffman a star, and gave Nichols his Oscar.

He followed that up with more successes in Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge, but two failures in the 1970s, The Day of the Dolphin and The Fortune, tarnished his reputation. Since then, he has moved on to more Broadway productions, and executive producing of television programs, including Family. He recently (2005) directed the movie "Closer" and the broadway play Spamalot.

Nichols has been married to TV journalist Diane Sawyer since April 29, 1988. Since May 2005 he's been a contributing blogger at The Huffington Post. He is also a teacher and founder of The New Actor's Workshop in New York City.

Nichols is one of the few people who have won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony Award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nichols
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:56 am
Sally Field

Sally Margaret Field (born November 6, 1946) is an American movie and television actress. Born in Pasadena, California, she grew up in a Hollywood family. Her mother, Margaret Field, was an actress, and her step-father, a former stunt-man, was Western actor Jock Mahoney. She got her start on television, starring as the boy-struck surfer girl in the mid-1960s series Gidget. She then went on to star in The Flying Nun and The Girl with Something Extra.

Having played mostly comic characters on television, Field was not initially regarded as having much potential as a dramatic actress. In 1976, Field was finally able to show that she could play this kind of role, starring as the title character afflicted with multiple personality syndrome in the TV film Sybil. She won an Emmy Award in 1977 for this performance. In 1979, she starred as a union organizer in Norma Rae, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress. She won another Oscar in 1984 for her starring role in Places in the Heart: her gushing acceptance speech is one of the best known of its kind, including the much-parodied line, "You like me, you really like me!" She has had supporting roles in other movies, including Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994).

On television, Field has a recurring role on ER, for which she won an Emmy is 2001. She also starred in the very short-lived 2002 Supreme Court of the United States TV drama called The Court.

Field dated Burt Reynolds during many years, but never accepted his proposals of marriage. She was first married to Steven Craig from 1968 to 1975. In 1984, she married Alan Greisman, but divorced again in 1993. Field has three sons, two from her first marriage and one from her second marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Field
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:05 am
djjd62 wrote:
Raggedyaggie wrote:

hmm, i'd like to hear that myself, maybe some searching is in order

Until I became familiar with Paxton, I thought the title of the song was "Made of Sand" since all I managed to get on my tape was the DJ saying "sung by 'Them'". I went in search of the record, but none of the record stores ever heard of "Made of Sand". (lol) I finally did get the "Them" album with that song though - quite unintentionally while browsing in the National Record Mart for another album. It's stashed away somewhere and if I ever get around to sorting out my records, I'll let you know what that album is called. I'm not positive, but I do think Van Morrison was with "Them" at the time.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:19 pm
Good afternoon/evening to all of you out there and in here.

Haven't had a chance to review all the transcriptions, but I love hearing and reading all your input. Our listeners really appreciate it.

Is it possible to send a Florida kiss over the air waves? Well, why not.

Here's a song by K.D. Lang who has a great voice, folks:

Love's Great Ocean

love's great ocean
came crashing down on me
overflowing with
possibility on me

pull me under
eternal wave
pull me under
i promise i'll behave

love's great ocean
come sweeping over me
with this notion of
positivity on me

here in the ocean
the ocean of deep blue dreams
i'm dreaming of you
here is the ocean
the ocean i'm longing to be
streaming into
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
I like Ray Conniff, his orchestra and singers.

k d lang too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:17 pm
Quotations For Fun:

"To do is to be" -Socrates

"To be is to do" -Descartes

"Doo be doo be doo" -Frank Sinatra
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:29 pm
I Need Nothing Else Lyrics