WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
Wing? I didn't know she had a wing! Well, color me extinct and call me dodo.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
First, I guess I had better clear up a couple of things. Hmmmm, folks, Billy Zane and Chris Sarandon look similar to me, and I swear, I recall very little about The Princess Bride. Chris Sarandon was born in Beckley, West Virginia Wow! That's a shock.

Thanks so much to the princesses here for your well wishes:

BBB
Eva
Colorbook
Raggedy

And to our gallant gentlemen, (that includes all antichrists) a sincere "thank you."

Walter, I think I might rather be bowling than entertaining thirteen year old kids. <smile>

For all our listeners and contributors:

If they asked me I could write a book
About the way you walk and whisper and look
I could write a sonnet on how we met
That the world would never forget

And the simple secret of the plot
Is just to tell them that I love you a lot
Then the world discovers as my book ends
How to thank all lovers and friends.

Harry Connick and Letty. Razz
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:44 pm
Letty wrote:
First, I guess I had better clear up a couple of things. Hmmmm, folks, Billy Zane and Chris Sarandon look similar to me, ....

I figured that's what you meant. :wink:

They do look similar.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:08 pm
Sweet Letty, Dys just told me about your husband. So sorry things got a little too intense. Your car headlights are so typical of something I would do when terribly worried. glad it wasn't more serious.

You and Bud have been through a lot in the last several years. I wish you a peaceful rest and perhaps a good neighbor's help to give you a respite.

Love you.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:36 pm
Hoping you can see the moon tonight.

It's Only a Paper Moon
Originally Written by Arlen, Harburg and Rose
Remade by Leon Parker, 1994

I never feel a thing is real when I'm away from you
Out of your embrace, the world's a temporary parking place
MMMMM, A bubble for a minute
You smile, the Bubble has a rainbow in it
Say it's only a paper moon sailing over a cardboard sea
But it wouldn't be make believe if you believed in me
Yes it's only a canvass sky hanging over a muslin tree
Without your love, it's a honky-tonk parade
Without your love, it's a melody played in a penny arcade
It's a Barnum and Bailey world, just as phony as it can be

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:00 pm
tom waits had this to say about the moon, and something else to say about the sun

Grapefruit Moon
Tom Waits

Grapefruit moon, one star shining,
shining down on me.
Heard that tune, and now I'm pining,
honey, can't you see?
'Cause every time I hear that melody,
well, something breaks inside,
And the grapefruit moon, one star shining,
can't turn back the tide.

Never had no destination, could not get across.
You became my inspiration, oh but what a cost.
well, something breaks inside,
is more than I can hide.

Now I'm smoking cigarettes
and I strive for purity,
And I slip just like the stars into obscurity.
well, puts me up a tree,
is all that I can see.

Picture in a Frame
Tom Waits

Sun come up it was blue and gold
Ever since I put your picture
In a frame.

I come calling in my Sunday best
Every since I put your picture
In a frame

I'm gonna love you
Till the wheels come off
Oh yea

I love you baby and I always will
Ever since I put your picture
In a frame
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:01 pm
and beck had this to say about soul suckin' jerks

Soul Suckin Jerk
Beck

I got a job making money for the man
throwing chicken in the bucket with the
soda pop can
puke green uniform on my back
I had to set it on fire in a vat of chicken fat
I leaped on the counter like a bird with no hair
running through the mini mall in my underwear

I got lost downtown couldn't find a ride home
sun went down I got frozen to the bone
'til a hooker let me share her fake fur coat
as I took a little nap the cops picked up us both I tried to explain I was only trying to get warm
I knew I never ever should have burnt my uniform
he said 'too bad, better bite the bullet hard son'
I didn't have no teeth so I stole his gun
and I crawled out the window with my shadow on a spoon
dancing on the roof, shooting holes in the moon

get busy, get busy, you know it

I ain't gonna work for no soul suckin jerk
I'm gonna take it all back and I ain't sayin jack
I ain't gonna work for no soul suckin jerk

standing right here with a beer in my hand
and my mouth is full of sand and I don't understand
fourteen days I been sleeping in a barn
better get a paycheck tattooed on my arm
whistlin dixie with the dixie cup filled
with the barbecue sauce and the dental floss chill
big fat fingers pointing into my face
telling me to get busy cleaning up this place
I got bent like a wet cigarette
and she's coming after me with a butterfly net
ridin on a bloodhound ringing the bell
black cat wrapped in the road map to hell

pencil on my leg and I'm trying not to beg
taking turns bakin worms with the bacon and eggs
well they got me in a bird cage flappin my jaw like a pretzel in the stars just waitin to fall
so give me what I got to get so I can go
cause I ain't washin dishes in the ditch no more

and I ain't gonna work for no soul suckin jerk
and I ain't gonna work for no soul suckin jerk
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:45 pm
Just a brief message for our listeners and contributors. It is my pleasure to know you all and to see the goodness that lies inside.

Thanks to my good friend, Diane, and to you all.

Play on, dj. Everyone here loves listening. <smile>

Maybe later, folks.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 06:17 pm
until letty's husband was sick, i didn't even know he existed, our PD is spoken for, well as mr. hunter said

All Of The Good Ones Are Taken
Ian Hunter

Girl-things ain't been goin' too good for me
Girl-I'm living in the middle of a mystery
You're the only one that can turn me on

'N' now that you're gone I said
Girl-I'm livin' in the middle of your memory
Girl-You're still the figure in my favorite fantasy

I know you know
That's the way it goes
And still my love grows-I said

All o' the good, all o' the good ones are taken
All o' the good, all o' the good ones are taken

I'm hangin' around with my head in the air
Watchin' the lovers go by
I had a lover-but she never cared
All you could say was goodbye

Maybe I was mistaken
Maybe I got it wrong

But all of the good ones are taken from now on
'N' girl-I'm livin' in the middle of a broken dream
I said girl-all this fallin' in love ain't like it seems

Out in the rain-can't you feel my pain
Again 'n' again 'n' again 'n' again 'n' again

All of the good, all o' the good ones are taken
Maybe I was mistaken-maybe I got it wrong
But all of the good ones are taken in my song
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 07:14 pm
That is one great song, dj. Right, listeners? Music is wonderful mental therapy, and we all balance it out on WA2K radio with discussions about movies; honest comments on current events; and sometimes we are allowed to spill over without fear of reprisal, but simple and gentle reminders of decorum are sometimes needed, just as in real life.I don't see our cyber exchanges as individualized, but rather commonality.

As I once told someone, we are a book--a poem--a commentary--an artist and more.

As for telling our listeners about my own problems, I do that when things happen that constitute the nature of an emergency.

Goodnight to everyone here, and may we see each other tomorrow.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 07:36 pm
Dover Beach
by Matthew Arnold
The sea is calm to-night.
The tide is full, the moon lies fair
Upon the straits; -on the French coast the light
Gleams and is gone; the cliffs of England stand,
Glimmering and vast, out in the tranquil bay.
Come to the window, sweet is the night air!
Only, from the long line of spray
Where the sea meets the moon-blanch'd land,
Listen! you hear the grating roar
Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,
At their return, up the high strand,
Begin, and cease, and then again begin,
With tremulous cadence slow, and bring
The eternal note of sadness in.
Sophocles long ago
Heard it on the Aegean, and it brought
Into his mind the turbid ebb and flow
Of human misery; we
Find also in the sound a thought,
Hearing it by this distant northern sea.

The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furl'd.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.

Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,

Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.

[1867]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
Charles Swinburne (excerpt)

Before the beginning of years
There came to the making of man
Time, with a gift of tears;
Grief, with a glass that ran;
Pleasure, with pain for leaven;
Summer, with flowers that fell;
Remembrance fallen from heaven,
And madness risen from hell;
Strength without hands to smite;
Love that endures for a breath;
Night, the shadow of light,
And life, the shadow of death.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 04:30 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, those are calming and retrospective poems. Thanks Texas. Well, folks this is the most peaceful little studio here this morning, so shall we listen to a song of reflection?

Peace - an End

Peace is a word
Of the sea and the wind.
Peace is a bird who sings
As you smile.
Peace is the love
Of a foe as a friend;
Peace is the love you bring
To a child

Searching for me
You look everywhere,
Except beside you.
Searching for you
You look everywhere,
But not inside you.

Peace is a stream
From the heart of a man;
Peace is a man, whose breadth
Is the dawn.
Peace is a dawn
On a day without end;
Peace is the end, like death
Of the war.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 05:38 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 05:42 am
Niccolò Paganini
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Niccolo Paganini)

Niccolò Paganini, (Genoa, October 27, 1782 - May 27, 1840 in Nice) was a violinist, violist, guitarist and composer. He is one of the most famous violin virtuosi, and is considered one of the greatest violinists who ever lived, with perfect intonation and innovative techniques. His influence in violin music, and the musical world in general was unequalled.

Life of Paganini

Niccolò Paganini was born in Genoa, Italy on 27 October, 1782, to Antonio and Teresa (née Bocciardo) Paganini. According to his biographer, Peter Lichtenthal, Paganini first learnt to play the mandolin (from his father) at the age of five, and quickly moved to the violin by the age of seven, and began composing before he turned eight. He gave his first public concert at the age of 12. In his early teens he studied under various teachers, including Giovanni Servetto and Alessandro Rolla, but he could not cope well with his success; at the age of 16 he was gambling and drinking. His career was saved by an unknown lady, who took him to her estate where he recovered and studied the violin for three years. He also played the guitar in his temporary retirement, and his intimate violin/guitar sonatas and guitar string quartets offer a side of Paganini that is easily overlooked.

He reappeared when he was 23, becoming director of music to Napoleon's sister Elisa Baciocchi, Princess of Lucca, when he wasn't touring. He soon became a legend for his unparalleled mastery of the violin, with a debut in Milan in 1813, Vienna 1828, and both London and Paris in 1831. Paganini was one of the first superstars of public concertizing. As he became more and more famous, it was rumored that he acquired his incredible virtuosity in a pact with the Devil. His eyes would roll into the back of his head while playing, revealing the whites. His swaying stance, long unruly hair and thin, gaunt stature only added to this rumor. He played so intensely, women would faint and men would break out weeping. The instrument on which he played is known as the Cannone Guarnerius violin.

Cancer of the larynx was beginning to take its toll, and he died in Nice on the 27th May, 1840, leaving behind a series of sonatas, caprices and 6 violin concertos.

In Paris in 1833, he commissioned a viola concerto from Hector Berlioz, who produced Harold in Italy for him, but Paganini never played it.
i

The orchestral parts of Paganini's works are polite, unadventurous in scoring, and supportive. Critics of Paganini find his concerti long-winded and formulaic: one fast rondo finale could often be switched for another. During his public career, the violin parts of the concertos were kept secret. Paganini would rehearse his orchestra without ever playing the full violin solos. At his death, only two had been published. Paganini's heirs have cannily released his concertos one at a time, each given their second debut, over many years, at well-spaced intervals. There are now six Paganini violin concerti; the last two are missing their orchestral parts.

Paganini developed the set of concert variations for solo violin, characteristically taking a simple, apparently naïve theme, and alternating lyrical variations with a ruminative, improvisatory character that depended for effect on the warmth of his phrasing, with bravura extravagances that left his audiences gasping. It should be noted that there are no definite portraits of Paganini. All existing pictures may or may not be how Paganini really looked.

Paganini and the development of violin technique

[N.B. I have not fully compartmentalised issues on technique from the paragraphs above.]

The french violinist Ivry Gitlis once said, "Paganini is not a development ... there were all these [violinists before Paganini] and then there was Paganini." Though some of these violinistic techniques employed by Paganini were already present at his time, progression on violin technique was slow up to this point. Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) was considered the father of violin technique, transforming the role of the violin from a continuo instrument to a solo instrument. Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), with his Sonate e Partite per violino solo (BWV 1001-1006) firmly established the polyphonic capability of the violin. The first exhaustive exploration of violin technique was found in the 24 caprices of Pietro Locatelli (1693-1746), which at the time of writing, proved to be too difficult to play (although they are now quite playable). Most accomplished violinsts of the time focused on intonation and bowing techniques (the so-called right-hand techniques for string players), the two issues that are most fundamental and also critical for violinists.

Paganini brought forth new techniques for violinists and composers. The writing of violin music, and piano music to some degree, were drastically changed through Paganini. His music often called for a wide range of advanced fingering and bowing techniques that proved sensational to audiences and challenging to colleagues of the period. His concert music often called for a combination of staccato, harmonics, pizzicato (on both hands), and wide musical intervals (as much as a major tenth). Though Paganini's composition was not considered truly polyphonic (Eugène Ysaÿe once criticised, that the solo/instrumental accompaniment to Paganini's music was too "guitar like", lacking any character of polyphonism), he expanded the timbre and colour of the instrument to levels previously unknown.

Paganini was capable of playing three octaves across four strings in a hand span, an impossible feat even by today's standards. His flexibility was believed to be a result of Marfan Syndrome or Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. His almost inhumanly-possible fingering techniques such as harmonic double-stops, parallel octaves (and tenths), and left-hand pizzicato, are now routine exercises for aspiring violinists. Such leaps in the evolution of violin techniques are only paralleled by the likes of Joseph Joachim, and Eugène Ysaÿe, almost half a century later.

It was also believed, that virtuoso pianists and composers like Liszt and Chopin are themselves influenced by Paganini, in performance and composition. Johannes Brahms considered a complete masterpiece. A number of virtuoso pianists, including Franz Liszt, Sergei Rachmaninoff and Brahms himself, paid homage to Paganini by composing variations on the last of his caprices (theme and variations in a minor) for the piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolo_Paganini
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 05:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 05:55 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 05:57 am
Nanette Fabray

Nanette Fabray (born October 27, 1920 in San Diego, California) is an American actress.

She has appeared in a number of motion pictures as well as on television including Caesar's Hour, One Day at a Time, and Coach among others, and is a winner of three Emmy Awards.

Originally named Fabares, she is the aunt of actress/singer Shelley Fabares. Nanette Fabares changed her name to a phonetic spelling after it was mispronounced as "Fa-bare-ass" by Ed Sullivan. (She told this story in a live performance 8 December 2004).

Fabray's official biography has at times stated that she appeared in Our Gang shorts at the age of seven, although she never appeared in the series.

One of her most memorable film appearances was in the musical, The Band Wagon (1953) opposite Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. She and Oscar Levant played a team of scatterbrained screenwriters that try to help a fallen star (Astaire) make his comeback.

Nanette Fabray overcame significant hearing impairment to pursue her career. She is also an advocate for the hearing-impaired.

Nanette Fabray has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanette_Fabray
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 06:00 am
John Cleese

John Marwood Cleese (born October 27, 1939) is a British comedian and actor best known for being one of the members of the comedy group Monty Python and for playing Basil Fawlty in the sitcom Fawlty Towers.

Biography

John Cleese was born in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England to Reginald Francis Cheese and Muriel Cross. His family's surname was previously "Cheese", but his father Reginald Francis Cheese, an insurance salesman, changed his surname to "Cleese" upon joining the army in 1915 [1].

As a boy, Cleese was educated at Clifton College in Bristol, from which he was expelled for a humorous defacing of school grounds: he used painted footsteps to suggest that the school's statue of Field Marshal Douglas Haig had got down from his plinth and gone to the toilet. His talent for comedy progressed with his membership of the Cambridge Footlights Revue while he was studying for a law degree at Downing College at the University of Cambridge. Here he met his future writing partner Graham Chapman. As Cleese's comic reputation flourished, he was soon offered a position as a writer with BBC Radio, working on, among others, sketches for The Dick Emery Show. The success of the Footlights Revue led to the recording of a short series of half-hour radio programmes, called I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again (which was so popular that the BBC commissioned a regular series with the same title). He then joined the Cambridge Revue, Cambridge Circus, for a tour of New Zealand and Broadway, and decided to stay on in America performing on and off-Broadway, including in the musical Half a Sixpence. It was during this time he met future Python Terry Gilliam and his future wife, American actress Connie Booth, whom he married on February 20, 1968. After his return to England, he started performing as a cast member of the highly successful BBC Radio show I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again, which ran from 1965 to 1974. His fellow cast members were Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden, Bill Oddie, David Hatch and Jo Kendall.

On his return to London in 1965, Cleese and Chapman began writing on The Frost Report, an important landmark in satire and British Comedy in the 1960s. The writing staff chosen for The Frost Report were, in many ways, the finest comedic minds of the 1960s United Kingdom, consisting of many writers and performers who would go on to make names for themselves in comedy. They included future Goodies Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor, Frank Muir, Barry Cryer, Marty Feldman, Ronnie Barker, Ronnie Corbett, Dick Vosburgh and future Python members Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. It was whilst working on The Frost Report, in fact, that the future Pythons developed their unique writing styles that would become so significant later. Cleese and Chapman's sketches often involved authority figures (some of which were performed by Cleese). Terry Jones and Michael Palin were both infatuated with filmed scenes that open with idyllic countryside panoramas. Eric Idle was one of those charged with writing David Frost's monologue. It was during this period that Cleese met and befriended influential British comedian Peter Cook.

Such was the popularity of the series that, in 1966, John Cleese and Graham Chapman were invited to work as writers and performers with Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman on At Last the 1948 Show, during which time the Four Yorkshiremen sketch was written by all four writers/performers (the Four Yorkshiremen sketch is now better known as a Monty Python sketch). John Cleese and Graham Chapman also wrote episodes of Doctor in the House. These series were successful and, in 1969, Cleese and Chapman were offered their very own series. However, due to Chapman's alcoholism, Cleese found himself bearing an increasing workload in the partnership and was therefore unenthusiastic about doing a series with just the two of them. He had found working with Michael Palin on The Frost Report an enjoyable experience, and invited him to join the series. Palin had previously been working on Do Not Adjust Your Set, with Eric Idle and Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam doing animations. The four of them had, on the back of the success of Do Not Adjust Your Set, been offered a series for ITV, which they were waiting to begin when Cleese's offer arrived. Palin agreed to work with Cleese and Chapman in the mean time, bringing with him Gilliam, Jones and Idle. This union led to the creation of Monty Python. Many have suggested that this important landmark in comedy was brought about by Cleese's desire to work with Palin, who Cleese has maintained is his favourite Python to work with. Monty Python's Flying Circus ran for four series from 1969 to 1974 on BBC. Cleese is particularly remembered for the "Cheese Shop", "The Ministry of Silly Walks", and "Dead Parrot" sketches. Though the programme lasted four series, by the start of series 3, Cleese - who was probably the most experienced and well known member of the group, and who was beginning to find working with Chapman an unfair strain - began to become agitated, wanting to move on. Though he stayed for the third series, he did not appear in the fourth series, and received only a minor writing credit. This did not stop him, however, from writing for and starring in the Monty Python films Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life.

In 1971, Connie Booth gave birth to Cynthia Cleese, their only child.

Having left Python, Cleese went on to achieve possibly greater success in the United Kingdom as the awful hotel manager Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers, which he co-wrote with Connie Booth. The series won widespread critical acclaim and is still considered one of the finest examples of British comedy. The series also famously starred Andrew Sachs as the much abused Spanish waiter Manuel ("...he's from Barcelona"), Prunella Scales as Basil's fire-breathing dragon of a wife Sybil, and Booth as waitress Polly. Cleese based Basil Fawlty on a real character, Donald Sinclair, whom he encountered when he and the rest of the Monty Python team were staying at the Gleneagles hotel in Torquay whilst filming Monty Python's Flying Circus. During the Pythons' stay, Sinclair threw Eric Idle's briefcase out of the hotel "in case it contained a bomb", complained about Terry Gilliam's "American" table manners, and threw a bus timetable at another guest after they dared to ask the time of the next bus to town. The series portrayed stereotypical British attitudes towards sex, death, complaining, violence towards employees and unhappy marriages, often simultaneously embodied in Cleese's madcap physical performances. The first series began on 19 September 1975, and whilst not an instant hit, soon gained momentum. However, the second series did not appear until 1979, during which time Cleese's marriage to Booth had broken down. Despite this the two reprised their writing and performing roles in the second series. Fawlty Towers famously comprised only twelve episodes. Cleese and Booth both maintain that this was to prevent a gradual decline in the quality of the series.

During the 1980s and 1990s, Cleese focused on film, though he did work with Peter Cook in his one-off TV special Peter Cook and Co. in 1980. He also rejoined the Pythons for Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982), and starred in The Secret Policeman's Ball for Amnesty International. He married Barbara Trentham on 15 February 1981. Their daughter Camilla was born 1984. In 1988 he wrote and starred in A Fish Called Wanda, along with Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and fellow python Michael Palin. Wanda became the most successful British film ever. Cynthia Cleese starred as John's daughter. However, his marriage was in trouble and in 1990 he and Trentham divorced. On 28 December 1992 he married Alice Faye Eichelberger, his third blonde American actress wife.

Cleese gave a stirring comic eulogy at Graham Chapman's memorial service, at which he was purportedly the first person to say '****' at a British funeral. Many considered this to be the perfect tribute to his friend and comic partner.

Cleese also produced and acted in a number of successful business training films, including Meetings, Bloody Meetings and More Bloody Meetings about how to set up and run successful meetings. These were produced by his company Video Arts.

With Robin Skynner, Cleese wrote two books on relationships: Families and how to survive them, and Life and how to survive it. The books are presented as a dialogue between Skynner and Cleese.

In 1996 Cleese declined the British honour of Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).

In 1999, Cleese appeared in the James Bond movie, The World Is Not Enough as Q's assistant, ironically referred to by Bond as R. In 2002, when Cleese reprised his role in Die Another Day, the character was promoted, making Cleese the new quartermaster (Q) of MI6.

He is currently an Andrew D. White Professor-at-Large at Cornell University, his term having been extended until 2006. Although he makes occasional, well-received appearances on the Cornell campus, he lives in the town of Montecito, California. From 1970 to 1973 Cleese was rector of St Andrews University.

In a 2005 poll of comedians and comedy insiders The Comedian's Comedian, Cleese's peers showed their appreciation of his talent when he was voted second only to Peter Cook. Also in 2005, a long-standing piece of internet humor, "The Declaration of the Revocation of Independence", was wrongly attributed to Cleese.

John Cleese recently lent his voice to the BioWare video game Jade Empire. His role was that of an "outlander" named Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard, stranded in the Imperial City of the Jade Empire. His character is essentially a British colonialist stereotype who refers to the people of the Jade Empire (effectively like the ancient Chinese) as a lot of savages in need of enlightenment. While perhaps a small role in John Cleese's respect, such lines as "half of you can't even grow a decent moustache" and "your idea of honour is outdated, too. (shoots player). PERCIVAL! My towel" were a welcome touch of humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cleese
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 06:39 am
Good morning WA2K:

Before I list today's birthdays, I have two questions, please.

1. What's a PD?

2. Who wrote the lovely poem Letty recited about "Peace"?

Very interesting bios, Bob.

Today's birthdays:

1156 - Count Raymond VI of Toulouse (d. 1222)
1401 - Catherine of Valois, queen of Henry VI of England (d. 1437)
1466 - Erasmus, Dutch humanist and theologian (d. 1536)
1728 - James Cook, British naval captain and explorer (d. 1779)
1744 - Mary Moser, English painter (d. 1819)
1760 - August von Gneisenau, Prussian field marshal (d. 1831)
1782 - Niccolò Paganini, Italian violinist and composer (d. 1840)
1811 - Isaac Singer, American inventor (d. 1875)
1811 - Stevens Thomson Mason, first Governor of Michigan (d. 1843)
1842 - Giovanni Giolitti, Italian statesman (d. 1928)
1844 - Klas Pontus Arnoldson, Swedish writer and pacifist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1916)
1858 - Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1919)
1873 - Emily Post, etiquette author (d. 1960)
1877 - George Thompson, English cricketer (d. 1943)
1894 - Oliver Leese, British general (d. 1978)
1906 - Earle Cabell, American politician (d. 1975)
1910 - Jack Carson, Canadian actor (d. 1963)
1914 - Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet (d. 1953)
1918 - Teresa Wright, American actress (d. 2005)
1920 - Nanette Fabray, American actress
1920 - K. R. Narayanan, President of India
1923 - Roy Lichtenstein, American artist (d. 1997)
1924 - Ruby Dee, American actress
1931 - Nawal El Saadawi, Egyptian writer
1932 - Sylvia Plath, American poet (d. 1963)
1939 - John Cleese, British actor and writer
1940 - John Gotti, American gangster (d. 2002)
1946 - Carrie Snodgress, American actress (d. 2004)
1950 - Fran Lebowitz, American writer
1957 - Jeff East, American actor
1958 - Simon Le Bon, English singer (Duran Duran)
1967 - Scott Weiland, American singer (Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver)
1970 - Adrian Erlandsson, Swedish drummer (Cradle of Filth)
1972 - Evan Coyne Maloney, filmmaker
1972 - Brad Radke, baseball player
1977 - Jiří Jarosík, Czech footballer
1980 - Tanel Padar, Estonian singer and Eurovision Song Contest winner

Remember Teresa Wright in "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Pride of the Yankees", "Shadow of a Doubt" and "The Best Years of Our Lives", to name just a few?
And Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis?
And Jack Carson who appeared on TV shows and more than 90 movies?

http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/imagenes/fotosdeldia/teresa_wright2.jpghttp://www.tc.columbia.edu/i/media/medallist_dee_davis.jpghttp://www.umt.edu/partv/famus/imagejpg/photo/hlsmn3.jpg
0 Replies