WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
Beautiful, dj. especially the first stanza.

Well, listeners, it's time for Letty to say goodnight, perhaps dj's song will guide me home and hide me from the night.

We'll all be here when the morning comes.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:10 am
Auguste and Louis Lumière
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Lumière Brothers, Louis Jean (October 5, 1864 - June 6, 1948) and Auguste Marie Louis Nicholas (October 19, 1862 - April 10, 1954), were the creators of the cinematographe, a three-in-one motion picture camera, developer and projector, and were among the earliest key filmmakers. They were both born in Twin valley Besançon, France but brought up in Lyon. Their father ran a photographic firm and both brothers worked for him, Louis as a physicist and Auguste as a manager. Louis had made some improvements to the still photograph process, the most noticeable being the dry plate process which was a major step toward film.

It was not until their father retired in 1892 that the brothers set to work to create moving pictures. They patented a number of significant processes - most notably the creation of sprocket holes in the film strip as a means of getting the film through the camera and projector.

They produced a single device that acted as both camera and projector, the cinématographe which they patented on 13 February 1894. The first footage ever to be shot on the device was shot on 19 March 1895; the film was La sortie des usines Lumière (Workers Leaving the Lumiere Factory).

The first paying show was on 28 December in Paris at the Grand Café in the Boulevard des Capucines. They went on tour with the cinématographe in 1896 visiting Mumbai, London and New York. The moving images had an immediate and significant influence on popular culture with L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de la Ciotat (Arrival of a Train at a Station) and also with actuality films often cited as the first documentaries -- although this is a matter of some debate -- such as Workers Leaving the Lumiere Factory, Le Déjeuner de Bébé (Baby's Lunch) and the first steps towards comedy with the slapstick of L'Arroseur Arrosé (The Sprinkler Sprinkled).

However the brothers stated that "the cinema is an invention without any future" and declined to sell their invention to Georges Méliès and so their role in the history of film was exceedingly brief.

They turned their attentions to colour photography and in 1903 they patented a colour photography process, the "Autochrome Lumière", launched on the market in 1907.

The Lumière company was a major producer of photographic products in Europe. The brand name Lumière disappeared from the marketplace following merger with Ilford.

The Lumières also proposed the loudspeaker and Tulle-gras® (to heal burns).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Lumi%C3%A8re
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:15 am
John le Carré
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

John le Carré is the pseudonym of David John Moore Cornwell (born October 19, 1931 in Poole, Dorset, England). He began his formal schooling at Sherborne School in England. Later, he studied at the University of Berne, developing a fascination in foreign languages, and Lincoln College, Oxford. He then taught at Eton College for 2 years. Subsequently, he joined the British Foreign Service (ultimately MI6), where he served mostly in West Germany. Kim Philby, notorious British double agent, gave le Carré's name up to the Russians.

John Le Carré is the author of many Cold War thrillers, notably those recounting the exploits of George Smiley. Two novels of the Karla trilogy series, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People, were adapted as BBC television series, wherein Alec Guinness stars as the eponymous protagonist of the latter.

le Carré's work is a response to the James Bond spy mythology - his heroes are more complex, and their circumstances far less glamorous. He is widely hailed as writing some of the most literary spy novels of the 20th century.

le Carré published an essay entitled "The United States has gone mad" in The Times in January 2003, protesting the war in Iraq, saying: "How Bush and his junta succeeded in deflecting America's anger from bin Laden to Saddam Hussein is one of the great public relations conjuring tricks of history." He has turned down a number of awards, including knighthood.

Le Carré married twice. With his first wife, Ann Martin, he has three children: Simon, Stephen, Timothy. With his second wife Valerie, another son Nicholas. He resides in Cornwall, England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_le_Carr%C3%A9
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:27 am
PETER MAX
(born October 19, 1937)

Peter Max was born in Berlin and moved to China at the age of one, to spend the first decade of his life there (including a year in Tibet). Afterwards, he and his family embarked on another odyssey by boat around Africa and arrived in Israel at the time of its rebirth. After spending two years there, the journeyed through Europe and finally ended up on the shores of America.

From visionary pop artist of the 1960's, to master of dynamic neo Expressionism, Peter Max and his vibrant colors have become part of the fabric of contemporary American culture.

In the 1960's Max rose to youthful prominence with his now-famous "Cosmic '60s" style, a bold linear type of painting which employed shocking color juxtapositions and depicted transcendental themes. As the Beatles transformed the music of the decade, Peter Max did the same for art. As his expressionistic style evolved, becoming more sensuous and painterly, his unique symbolism and vibrant color palette have continued to inspire new generations of Americans throughout the decades.

Peter Max is a passionate environmentalist and defender of human and animal rights, often dedicating paintings and posters for these noteworthy causes. He has celebrated our nation's principles of freedom and democracy with works that include his famous Liberty paintings and American Flags which he affectionately calls "Flag with a Heart" for a country with a heart.

In 1974 Max was commissioned to create the first "Preserve the Environment" Postage Stamp commemorating the World's Fair in Spokane, Washington. In 1976 U.S. General Services selected Max to paint 235 Border Murals at entry points to Canada and Mexico.That same year, to celebrate the Bicentennial, Max created a painting of each of the 50 states, resulting in a book, "Peter Max Paints America". On the same occasion Max also began a tradition of painting the Statue of Liberty. Every year since, he has celebrated July 4th by painting additional interpretations of the Statue. In 1981 he was invited by President and Mrs. Reagan to paint six Liberty portraits at the White House. Max has painted for five U.S. Presidents - Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush and Clinton.

In 1989 Max paid homage to Mikhail Gorbachev with his installation, "Forty Gorbys", which was inspired by his trip to Moscow. This led to an important museum tour that started at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersberg in the Spring of 1991 and traveled throughout Russia and other Eastern bloc countries as well as Western Europe. Max's opening at the Hermitage drew the largest attendance for an art opening in Soviet history.

In February 1990, Max had two huge sections of the Berlin Wall flown to America and placed on board the' aircraft carrier intrepid. He then carved out a concave dove of peace in the concrete wall and formed a three- dimensional dove in flight from the filings, thus symbolizing the emergence of freedom and hope.

After having worked with the Inaugural Committee on the Presidential Inauguration for which he created his now famous "I 00 Clintons" installation, Max was invited by the White House in 1993 to sketch the historic signing of the lsrael-Palestinian Peace Accord. Later that year while Max was in Washington to open his "Pop to Patriotism" exhibition at The Corcoran Gallery of Art, President Clinton, who was in attendance, referred to Peter as a friend and true American Patriot. He has been called upon by many Governmental Institutions to illustrate special projects including the giant murals which graced the courtyard of the U.S. Pavilion at the Seville World's Fair. The United Nations invited Peter to execute a body of work of twelve postage stamps which became their Official stamp for the first Environmental Summit held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992.

In 1994, Max was designated Official Artist for World Cup USA '94 and in 1995 was once again named the Official Artist for the Super Bowl and Grammy Awards, the latter honor being bestowed upon Max for a record fifth time. In celebration of America's music, Max was the Official Artist for the 25th Anniversary of the New Orleans Jazz Festival and opened the Woodstock '94 Festival.

Max is merging art with technology through collaborations with Silicon Graphics (the company that created the computer technology for the special effects in Jurassic Park) and the Information Superhighway for which he has created the official symbol. The National Information Infrastructure (info Highway) symbol was recently unveiled at a White House press conference by Vice-President Al Gore.

http://www.e-fineart.com/biography/max.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:33 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Bob, I was interested in two of your bios--LeCarre and Peter Max.

John LeCarre is a fantastic author, but I only read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Great foreign intrigue plot.

Peter Max is an unusual artist, and lightwizard is having a showing of his work. I need to do more research on him. Thanks, Boston, for the bios.

Well, folks. Need to wake up more and we know that coffee will do that for us. Back later with more music, info, and music.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:40 am
LONDON CALLING.....HERE IS THE NEWS FROM THE BBC.

The band of the Royal Cross-Eyed Dragoons attended the changing of the Colours today, where they played "The Dance of the Sugar Plum Sailor", followed by "What Shall We Do with the Drunken Fairy?."

Owing to the severe bread shortage in Britain at this moment in time, a man has been seen in one of the Royal Parks, throwing IOU's to the ducks.

There have been strong rumours going around, that the president of the Dairy Council has become a Free Mason, as he has been seen giving his colleagues the secret milkshake.

Today in the courts, an unemployed labourer was found guilty of running up and down Downing Street at two o'clock in the morning shouting, "All the government is barmy!"
He was given a fifty pound fine for being drunk and disorderly and a ten year jail sentence for revealing a state secret.

And finally, sacked door to door salesman Alfred Saunders, took his case to an industrial tribunal today, but when they saw him coming, they all lay on the floor and pretended to be out.

And now, back to the scheduled programme..........
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
Lord Elpus woke me up before I poured my first cup of coffee. Laughing

Thanks for the bios, Bob.

A good day to all.

Today's birthdays:

1276 - Prince Hisaaki, Japanese shogun (d. 1328)
1433 - Marsilio Ficino, Italian philosopher (d. 1499)
1562 - Archbishop George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury (d. 1633)
1582 - Dmitry Ivanovich, Tsarevich (d. 1591)
1605 - Thomas Browne, English writer (d. 1682)
1610 - James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, English statesman and soldier (d. 1688)
1658 - Adolf Friedrich II of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (d. 1704)
1688 - William Cheselden, English surgeon and anatomist (d. 1752)
1680 - John Abernethy, Irish protestant minister (d. 1740)
1784 - John McLoughlin, Canadian fur trader (d. 1857)
1862 - Auguste Lumière, French inventor (d. 1954)
1873 - Jaap Eden, Dutch skater and cyclist (d. 1925))
1885 - Charles Merrill, American investment banker (d. 1956)
1895 - Lewis Mumford, American historian (d. 1990)
1899 - Miguel Angel Asturias, Guatemalan writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1974)
1907 - Roger Wolfe Kahn, American bandleader (d. 1962)
1908 - Geirr Tveitt, Norwegian composer
1910 - Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, Indian-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1995)
1910 - Jean Genet, French author (d. 1986)
1913 - Vinicius de Moraes, Brazilian poet and songwriter (d. 1980)
1916 - Emil Gilels, Ukrainian pianist (d. 1994)
1926 - Joel Feinberg, American moral philosopher (d. 2004)
1931 - John le Carré, English novelist
1932 - Robert Reed, American actor (d. 1992)
1937 - Peter Max, American artist
1940 - Michael Gambon, Irish actor
1942 - Andrew Vachss, American author and attorney
1945 - Divine, American actor (d. 1988)
1945 - John Lithgow, American actor
1946 - Philip Pullman English writer
1947 - Giorgio Cavazzano, comics artist and illustrator
1951 - Patricia Ireland, President of the National Organization for Women
1956 - Carlo Urbani, Italian physician (d. 2003)
1962 - Evander Holyfield, American boxer
1965 - Ty Pennington, American television carpenter
1966 - Jon Favreau, American actor, writer, director
1969 - Trey Parker, American cartoonist, comedian, writer, and actor
1972 - Pras, American musician
1976 - Michael Young, baseball player

http://www.lithgowboredomblasters.com/images/john_susp.jpgIf "born to the theater" has meaning in determining a person's life path, then John Lithgow is a prime example of this truth. Son of a retired actress and a father who was both a theatrical producer and director, he moved frequently as a child while his father founded and managed local and college theaters and Shakespeare festivals throughout the midwest of the United States. Not until he was 16, and his father became head of the McCarter Theater in Princeton New Jersey, did the family settle down. But for John, the theater was still not a career. He won a scholarship to Harvard University, where he finally caught the acting bug (as well as found a wife). Harvard was followed by a Fulbright scholarship to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Returning from London, his rigorous dramatic training stood him in good stead, and a distinguished career on Broadway gave him one Tony award for "The Changing Room", a second nomination in 1985 for "Requiem for a Heavyweight", and a third in 1988 for "M. Butterfly". But with critical acclaim came personal confusion, and in the mid '70s he and his wife divorced. He entered therapy, and in 1982 his life started in a new direction, the movies - he received an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of Roberta Muldoon in The World According to Garp (1982). A second Oscar nomination followed for Terms of Endearment (1983), and he met a UCLA economics professor who became his second wife. As the decade of the '90s came around he found that he was spending too much time on location, and another career move brought him to television in the hugely successful series "3rd Rock from the Sun" (1996). This production also played a role in bringing him back together with the son from his first marriage, Ian Lithgow, who has a regular role in the series as a dim-witted student.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
My word, folks, here's our royal Brit with a wonderfully funny slant on the London news and duck IOU's. Thanks, dear. That item goes well with coffee, and we hope you enjoy your tea at four. <smile>

For us plain folks, here's a tune of that genre:

The Kingston Trio lyrics

The gypsy rover came over the hill
Down through the valley so shady
He whistled and he sang
'Til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady

Ah dee du, ah dee du da day
Ah dee du, ah dee day dee.
He whistled and he sang

She left her father's castle gate
Left her own fond lover
Left her servants and her estate
To follow the gypsy rover

Ah dee du, ah dee day dee
He whistled and he sang

Her father saddled his fastest steed
Searched these valleys all over
Seeking his daughter
At great speed and the whistlin' gypsy rover
At last he came to a castle gate
Along the river Claydee
And there was music and there was wine
For the gypsy and his lady

He whistled and he sang

He is no gypsy, my father, she said
But a lord of these lands all over
And I will stay 'til my dying day
With the whistlin' gypsy rover

He whistled and he sang
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
Raggedy, Good morning and thanks for the updates, PA. I really think that John Lithgow is a multi-talented performer who does drama as well as comedy.

What was the name of that TV series that he starred in where the entire family was from Mars or some such thing? Perhaps one of our listeners will know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
She's a good girl, loves her mama Loves Jesus and America too She's
a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis Loves horses and her boyfriend too
It's a long day living in Reseda here's a freeway runnin'
through the yard And I'm a bad boy cos I don't even miss her I'm a
bad boy for breakin' her heart
And I'm free, free fallin' Yeah I'm free, free fallin'
All the vampires walkin' through the valley Move west down
Ventura Boulevard And all the bad boys are standing in the
shadows All the good girls are home with broken hearts ...Free fallin', now I'm a, free fallin', now I'm aFree fallin',
now I'm a, free fallin', now I'm a
I wanna glide down over Mulholl and I wanna write her name in the
skyGonna free fall out into nothin' Gonna leave this world for a
while.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:30 am
Good morning, dys. Another bad boy song, right? Here's a bad boy song for you:

How many arms have held you
And hated to let you go
How many, how many I wonder
But I really don't want to know
And how many lips have kissed you
And set your soul aglow

So always make me wonder
And always make me guess
Even if I ask you
Darlin', don't confess

No you just let that remain your secret
'Cause darlin' I do love you so

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:58 am
Oh, my, listeners. I just got this weather update:

Wilma Now Most Intense Atlantic Storm Ever

Published: 10/19/05

SAN PEDRO SULA, Honduras (AP) - Gathering strength at a fierce pace, Hurricane Wilma swirled into the most intense Atlantic storm ever recorded Wednesday, a Category 5 monster packing 175 mph wind that forecasters warned was "extremely dangerous."

Wilma was dumping rain on Central America and Mexico. A hurricane watch was in effect for the east coast of Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, parts of Cuba and the Cayman Islands, and forecasters warned of a "significant threat" to Florida by the weekend.

"All interests in the Florida Keys and the Florida peninsula should closely monitor the progress of extremely dangerous Hurricane Wilma," the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

Wilma's top sustained winds reached 175 mph early Wednesday in the most rapid strengthening ever recorded in a hurricane, said meteorologist Hugh Cobb of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. At the same time Tuesday, Wilma was only a tropical storm with winds of 70 mph.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:55 am
Third rock, Ms. L.

i hope something's done about global warming before a hurricane blows down the White House.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:16 am
Thanks, Mr. Turtle, that's the one. You're right, honey, but it seems that we're the barrier island for the white house.

Once again, listeners, we would like to salute our Reyn for the exquisite job that he has done with his tapestry of avatars. Let's do a song for both him and mother nature:

Written by: Carole King

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Ooh, baby, when I see your face
Mellow as the month of May
Oh, darling, I can't stand it
When you look at me that way

I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh, darling, when you're near me
And you tenderly call my name
I know that my emotions
Are something I just can't tame
I've just got to have you, baby

I just lose control
Down to my very soul
I get a hot and cold all over
I feel the sky tumbling down,
Tumbling down, tumbling down...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
Well, listeners. We need to get our mind off Wilma and on to a myth. This bit of info is inspired by boomer's thread:(so to speak)

"Amongst these leaves she made a Butterfly,
With excellent device and wondrous slight,
Fluttering among the olives wantonly,
That seemed to live, so like it was in sight;
The velvet nap which on his wings doth lie,
The silken down with which his back is dight,
His broad outstretched horns, his hairy thighs,
His glorious colors, and his glistening eyes."

"Which when Arachne saw, as overlaid
And mastered with workmanship so rare.
She stood astonished long, ne aught gainsaid;
And with fast-fixed eyes on her did stare,
And by her silence, sign of one dismayed,
The victory did yield her as her share;
Yet did she inly fret and felly burn,
And all her blood to poisonous rancor turn

Question of the day:

To what or whom are we referring?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
When Athena transformed Arachne in a spider.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
Indeed, Francis. Nice to see you back in our studio, Paris. <smile>.

Isn't that a lovely verse?

You need to do me a favor, if you will. I think I may have mislead C.I. with the name of the hotel in the Where Am I Thread. The spelling has been Americanized, I fear.

Would you like to have a fable for your correct answer?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:31 pm
the who had this to say about athena

Athena
The Who

Athena, I had no idea how much I'd need her
In peaceful times I hold her close and I feed her
My heart starts palpitating when I think my guess was wrong
But I think I'll get along
She's just a girl - she's a bomb

Athena, all I ever want to do is please her
My life has been so settled and she's the reason
Just one word from her and my troubles are long gone
But I think I'll get along

Just a girl just a girl
Just a girl just a girl
Just a girl just a girl
She's just a girl

Athena, my heart felt like a shattered glass in an acid bath
I felt like one of those flattened ants you find on a crazy path
I'd have topped myself to give her time she didn't need to ask
Was I a suicidal psychopath?

Consumed, there was a beautiful white horse I saw on a dream stage
He had a snake the size of a sewer pipe living in his rib cage
I felt like a pickled priest who was being flambed
You were requisitioned blondie

I'm happy, I'm ecstatic
Just a girl just a girl
Just a girl just a girl
Just a girl just a girl
She's just a girl

Look into the face of a child
Measure how long you smiled
Before the memory claimed
How long would children remain
How long would children remain

Athena, you picked me up by my lapels and screamed "leave her"
It felt like waking up in heaven on an empty meter
And now you're stuck with a castrated leader
And I hate the creep, I didn't mean that
She's a bomb
I just said it
She's a bomb
I didn't mean it, please
She's a bomb

Athena, I had no idea how much I need her
My life has been so settled and she's the reason
Just one word from her and my troubles are long gone
But I get along
She's just a girl, she's a bomb
She's just a girl, she's a bomb
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:44 pm
Fantastic, dj. I wouldn't want to be your opponent in chess. Razz

That song was perfect timing, Canada. Thanks, camera man.

Well, folks our Francis has popped in and popped out, but I think I have solved the problem that I ask him to fix.

Time for a station break:

This is cyber space, WA2K radio.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:20 pm
letty, is wilma a potential threat or are you out of any predicted points of landfall

a song of protection for our PD

Shelter From The Storm
Robert Zimmerman

'Twas in another lifetime, one of toil and blood
When blackness was a virtue and the road was full of mud
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

And if I pass this way again, you can rest assured
I'll always do my best for her, on that I give my word
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm.
"Come in," she said,

Not a word was spoke between us, there was little risk involved
Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm.
"Come in," she said,

I was burned out from exhaustion, buried in the hail,
Poisoned in the bushes an' blown out on the trail,
Hunted like a crocodile, ravaged in the corn.
"Come in," she said,

Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair.
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns.
"Come in," she said,

Now there's a wall between us, somethin' there's been lost
I took too much for granted, got my signals crossed.
Just to think that it all began on a long-forgotten morn.
"Come in," she said,

Well, the deputy walks on hard nails and the preacher rides a mount
But nothing really matters much, it's doom alone that counts
And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn.
"Come in," she said,

I've heard newborn babies wailin' like a mournin' dove
And old men with broken teeth stranded without love.
Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?
"Come in," she said,

In a little hilltop village, they gambled for my clothes
I bargained for salvation an' they gave me a lethal dose.
I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn.
"Come in," she said,

Well, I'm livin' in a foreign country but I'm bound to cross the line
Beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine.
If I could only turn back the clock to when God and her were born.
"Come in," she said,
0 Replies