WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:30 pm
The time has come for Letty to say goodnight.

Guide me safely through the night,
Wake me with the morning light.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
Ivory Tears - Jerry Lee Lewis

When lonliness lays her hurting hands on me,
There's a place I always can go
I'll pour out my soul, to my old piano
And I let those old ivories cry for me

Ivory tears, ivory tears, my old piano cries for me,
Ivory tears, ivory tears, dripping from every melody

Some lonely people, they turn to the jukebox,
Others turn to whiskey and wine
But, when it's crying time for me, well, I turn to my ol' piano
And I let those old ivories cry for me

Ivory tears, ivory tears, my old piano, it's crying, crying
Ivory tears, ivory tears, dripping from every melody
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 03:57 am
Well Looka dat! Reyn the magician leaped into the breach and supplied me with the howto fix your avatar. Whata guy. Thank you Reyn. That hawk really means a lot to me.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:14 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:43 am
Anita O'Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Anita O'Day (born October 18, 1919) is a American jazz singer. O'Day is much admired for her sense of rhythm and dynamics, and her early big band appearances shattered the traditional image of a demure female vocalist by swinging just as hard as the other musicians on the bandstand.

O'Day was born Anita Belle Colton in Chicago, Illinois. O'Day got her start as a singer in her teens. In the late 1930s, began singing in a jazz club called the Off-Beat, a popular hangout for musicians such as band leader and drummer Gene Krupa. In 1941, she joined Krupa's band, and a few weeks later Krupa hired trumpeter Roy Eldridge. O'Day and Eldridge had great chemistry on stage and their duet "Let Me Off Uptown" became a huge hit, boosting the popularity of the Krupa band. Also that year, Down Beat named O'Day "New Star of the Year" and, in 1942, she was selected as one of the top five big band singers.

After her stint with, Krupa, O'Day joined Woody Herman's band. She left the band after a year and returned to Krupa. Later, O'Day joined Stan Kenton's band with whom she cut an album that featured the hit "And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine".

In the late 1940s, O'Day struck out on her own. She teamed up with drummer John Poole, with whom she played for the next thirty years. Her album "Anita", which she recorded for the newly established Verve Records (it was the label's first LP), boosted her popularity to new heights, and she went on to record some twenty albums for Verve through the 1960s. O'Day also began performing in festivals and concerts with such musicians as Louis Armstrong, Oscar Peterson, Dinah Washington, George Shearing, Raymond Scott and Thelonious Monk. She appeared in the documentary filmed at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958 called Jazz on a Summer's Day, which made her an international star.

Throughout the 1960s, O'Day continued to tour and record while addicted to heroin. In 1969, she nearly died from an overdose. After taking several years off to kick her alcohol and drug addictions, she made a comeback at the 1970 Berlin Jazz Festival and resumed making live and studio albums, many recorded in Japan, some of which were released on her own label, Emily Records.

In 1981 O'Day published a memoir, High Times, Hard Times in which she spoke candidly about her drug addiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_O%27Day

LET ME OFF UPTOWN
(Redd Evans / Earl Bostic)

Anita O'Day & Roy Eldridge (with Gene Krupa & his Orchestra)

Also recorded by : Larry Clinton; The Delta Rhythm Boys;
Michael Feinstein; Quincy Jones; Gene Krupa; Lucky Millinder;
Johnny O'Neal; Eddie Reed; Dakota Staton;
The Swing Fever Big Band; Art Tatum; Mel Tormé; Jamie Wood.

(Spoken)
Anita: Hey Joe
Roy: What d'ya mean Joe, My name's Roy
Anita: Well come here Roy and get groovy
You bin uptown?
Roy: No I ain't bin uptown but I've bin around
Anita: You mean to say you ain't bin uptown?
Roy: no I ain't bin uptown, what's uptown?

(Sung)
Anita: If it's pleasure you're about
And you feel like steppin' out
All you've got to shout is
Let me off uptown

If it's rhythm that you feel
Then it's nothing to conceal
Oh, you've got to spiel it
Let me off uptown

Rib joints, juke joints, hep joints
Where could a fella go to top it

If you want to pitch a ball
And you can't afford a hall
All you've got to call is
Let me off uptown
(Spoken)
Roy: Anita, oh Anita, say I feel somethin'
Anita: Whatcha feel Roy? The heat?
Roy: No it must be that uptown rhythm
I feel like blowin'
Anita: Well blow Roy, blow.

(Roy's trumpet to finish)

(Transcribed by Bill Huntley - February 2005)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:48 am
Melina Mercouri

Melina Mercouri (Μελίνα Μερκούρη; Athens,October 18, 1920 - New York, March 6, 1994) was a Greek actress and political activist. Born Anna Amalia Mercouri or Maria Amalia Mercouri, she became well-known to international audiences when she starred in the 1960 film Never on Sunday, directed by her husband Jules Dassin. In fact, she had been making movies since 1955, first appearing in the Greek film Stella. Her grandfather, and the most precious person in her early life, was Spyros Merkouris, mayor of Athens for many decades. Her father was member of the Parliament. The marriage of her parents ended when she was just a kid and she lived with her mother.

Her first lover was one of the most famous Greek actors named Papas, who died during the 60's from cancer. Melina married during her teenage years to Panos Harokopos. She later supported, that although she loved her husband, their marriage was a mistake. He supported her need to become an actress, something that her family did not. They were married during Second World War, and his wealth helped her to survive the difficult winters of the Nazi Occupation.

Nominated for an Academy Award for Never on Sunday, she went on to star in such films as Topkapi, Phaedra, and Gaily, Gaily. Melina's first marriage took place during her teenager years. Her first film 'Stella' [1955] was directed by M. Cacoyiannis, the director of Zorba the Greek and brought her to Cannes, where she was nominated for the lead prize. She did not won the prize, but she met there the man of her life, the director Jules Dassin. Jules Dassin is the father of Joe Dassin,the famous french singer who died very young.

During the period of dictatorship in Greece from 1967 to 1974, Mercouri lived in France. When the dictatorship revoked her Greek citizenship, she said, "I was born Greek and I would die Greek. Mr. Pattakos was born a dictator and he will die as a dictator." During these years she recorded 4 records in France, one with Greek lyrics and the other three with french lyrics, all created by Greek musicians, they were highly popular, and they are still critically acclaimed and remastered. Her husky and unusual voice made her the perfect performer of some Great Greek songs which are known classics and performed by hundreds of singers. Her first songs was a song by Manos Hadjidakis and Nikos Gatsos. It was named Hartino to Fengaraki and it was a part of the Greek production 'A streetcar named desire' in 1949, where she starred as Blanche. The first official recording of this, now,legendary song was made by Nana Mouskouri in 1960, although the company Sirius, created by Manos Hadjidakis, issued a recording in 2004 by Melina made for the French TV during the 60's.

When democracy returned to her home country, she returned, and became first a member of the Parliament for PASOK, and then Minister of Culture.

In 1971 she wrote her autobiography, I Was Born Greek.

Melina was one of the most famous Greek Actress, she retired from film acting in 1978. Her last film called 'A dream of Passion' was directed as most of her films by her husband Jules Dassin. She starred with Ellen Burstyn. In 1980 she starred in the Greek production of 'The sweet bird of youth', in the starring role which had created for the Greek audience in 1960.

As a minister of Culture she created the 'Cultural Capital of Europe' idea, and for this reason the first Cultural Capital of Europe was Athens in 1986. She advocated for the return of the Parthenon Marbles, who are named as Elgin marbles, although Lord Elgin did not created them, he just removed them from Athens, Greece and then they were bought by the British museum. For this reason a new museum is created under the Parthenon, although both the British Museum and the Parliament has not yet accepted the return of the marbles to Greece. Melina died in 1994 in the U.S.A, where she was hospitalised for cancer. She was a smoker and when she died hundreds of Greek citizens left 'Assos' cigarettes at her office. Her body returned to Athens, and received a public mourning from millions of Greek people. It was said that her funeral was attended by 1 million people or even more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melina_Mercouri

Never On a Sunday by Melina Mercouri

Oh, you can kiss me on a Monday a Monday a Monday
is very very good
Or you can kiss me on a Tuesday a Tuesday a Tuesday
in fact I wish you would
Or you can kiss me on a Wednesday a Thursday a
Friday and Saturday is best
But never ever on a Sunday a Sunday a Sunday
cause that's my day of rest

Most any day you can be my guest
Any day you say but my day of rest
Just name the day that you like the best
Only stay away on my day of rest

Oh, you can kiss me on a cool day a hot day a wet day
which ever one you choose
Or try to kiss me on a gray day a May day a pay day
and see if I refuse

And if you make it on a bleak day a freak day or a week day
Well you can be my guest
But never ever on a Sunday a Sunday the one day
I need a little rest
Oh, you can kiss me on a week day a week day a week day
the day to be my guest
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:54 am
Chuck Berry

Charles Edward Anderson Berry (born October 18, 1926), better known as Chuck Berry, is a highly influential African American guitarist, singer and composer. Berry was born in St. Louis, Missouri and was part of the first group to be inducted into the new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on its opening in 1986. He received Kennedy Center Honors in 2000.

Biography

As a young man, Berry served a three-year term in reform school for attempted burglary. He was later arrested for stealing a car. Chuck Berry had been playing a form of the "blues" since his teens and by early 1953 was performing with "Sir John's Trio," a band that played at a popular club in St. Louis. In May of 1955, he traveled to Chicago where he met Muddy Waters who suggested he contact Chess Records. Signed to a contract, that September he released a unique version of the Bob Wills song, "Ida Red", under the title, "Maybellene." The song eventually peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard charts. At the end of June, 1956 his song "Roll Over Beethoven" reached No. 29 on the Billboard charts. In the fall of 1957, Berry joined the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly and other rising stars of the new rock and roll to tour the United States.

In December 1959 Berry had legal problems after he invited a 14-year-old Apache waitress he met in Mexico to work as a hat check girl at his nightclub (Berry's Club Bandstand) in St. Louis. After the girl was arrested on a prostitution charge, so was Berry, who stood accused under the Mann Act of transporting a minor across state lines for sexual purposes. Berry was convicted to five years in prison and fined $5,000. He was released in 1963 but his best years were now behind him.

Chuck toured for many years carrying only his Gibson guitar, confident that he could hire a band that already knew his music no matter where he went. Among the many bandleaders performing this backup role were Bruce Springsteen and Steve Miller. Springsteen backed Chuck again when he appeared at the "Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" in 1995.

After travelling the oldies circuit in the 1970s, he was in trouble with the law again in 1979, when he pled guilty to income tax evasion and was sentenced to four months imprisonment and 1,000 hours of community service doing benefit concerts.

In the late 1980s, Berry owned a restaurant in Wentzville, Missouri, called The Southern Air. Berry also owns an estate in Wentzville called Berry Park. For many years, Berry hosted rock concerts throughout the summer at Berry Park. He eventually closed the estate to the public due to the riotous behavior of many guests.

Although in his late 70s, Berry continues to perform regularly, playing both throughout the United States and overseas. He performs one Wednesday each month at Blueberry Hill, a restaurant and bar located in the Delmar Loop neighborhood in St. Louis, Missouri.

A documentary was made about Chuck and a concert he did in 1987 called "Hail Hail Rock and Roll".

Berry was also the subject of attention in the early 1990s for his alleged voyeurism of female guests in the bathrooms of his home and restaurant.

Influence

A pioneer of Rock and Roll, Chuck Berry had a significant influence on others. When Keith Richards inducted Berry into the Hall of Fame, he said, "It's hard for me to induct Chuck Berry, because I lifted every lick he ever played!" John Lennon, another devotee of Berry, borrowed a line from Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" for his song "Come Together," and was subsequently sued by Berry's management. Angus Young of AC/DC, who has cited Berry as one of his biggest influences, is famous for using Berry's duckwalk as one of his gimmicks.

While there is debate about who recorded the first rock and roll record, Chuck Berry's early recordings, including "Maybellene" (1955) fully synthesized the rock and roll form, combining blues and country music with teenaged lyrics about girls and cars, with impeccable diction alongside distinctive electric guitar solos and an energetic stage persona. Chuck Berry also popularized use of the boogie in rock and roll.

Most of his famous recordings were on Chess Records with pianist Johnnie Johnson from Berry's own band and legendary record producer Willie Dixon on bass, Fred Below on drums and Berry's guitar, arguably the epitome of an early rock and roll band.

Producer Leonard Chess recalled laconically:

"I told Chuck to give it a bigger beat. History the rest, you know? The kids wanted the big beat, cars, and young love. It was a trend and we jumped on it."

Berry's musical influences were Nat King Cole, smooth singer and master pianist, Louis Jordan, very much Chuck's model, and Muddy Waters, singer and guitarist vital in the transformation of Delta blues into Chicago blues and the man who introduced Berry to Leonard Chess at Chess Records.

Throughout his career Berry recorded both smooth ballads like "Havana Moon" and blues tunes like "Wee Wee Hours." but it was his own mastery of the new form that won him fame. He recorded more than thirty Top Ten records and his songs have been covered by hundreds of blues, country, and rock and roll performers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Berry

Johnny B. Goode

Chuck Berry

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans
Way back up on the woods among the evergreens
There stood an old cabin made of earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B Goode
Who'd never ever learned to read or write so well
But he could play a guitar just like a ringin' a bell

Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Johnny B. Goode!

He used to carry his guitar in a gurny sack
Go sit beneath the tree by the railroad track
Old engineers in the train would see him him sittin' in the shade
Strummin' with the rhythm that the drivers made
The people passed him by they would stop and say
Oh my but that little country boy could play

Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Johnny B. Goode!

His mother told him someday you will be a man
And you will be the leader of a big old band
Many people comin' from miles around
To hear you play your music when the sun goes down
Maybe some day your name will be in lights
Sayin' "Johnny B Goode tonight"

Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Go! Johnny!
Go! Go! Johnny B. Goode!

by Chuck Berry
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:57 am
George C. Scott

George Campbell Scott (October 18, 1927-September 22, 1999) was a film/stage actor, director, and producer. He was best known for his dramatic portrayal of General George S. Patton in the Academy Award winning movie, "Patton."

Scott was born in Wise, Virginia. His mother died when he was only eight-years-old, and he was raised by his father, an executive at the Buick Motor Company.

As a young man, Scott joined the U.S. Marine Corps and was assigned to the prestigious 8th and I Barracks in Washington, D.C. In that capacity, he served as a ceremonial guard at Arlington National Cemetery and he taught English literature and radio speaking/writing at the Marine Corps Institute. Scott later complained that his duties at Arlington led to his drinking.

After serving his hitch in the Marines, Scott enrolled in the University of Missouri where he majored in journalism. But he soon left college for an acting career. Scott began as a stage actor on Broadway and achieved critical acclaim portraying the prosecutor in The Andersonville Trial by Saul Levett. This was based on the military trial of the commandant of the infamous Civil War prison camp in Andersonville, Georgia. Scott's performance earned him a mention in Time magazine as a rising young actor of great intensity. Scott also played Richard III on stage and one critic said he was the "angriest" Richard III of all time.

Scott gained wide public attention in the film, Anatomy of a Murder, in which he played a wily prosecutor opposite Jimmy Stewart as the defense attorney. He was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor; when he was notified about the nomination, he called the Academy Awards a "meat race."

However, his most famous early role was in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb where he played the part of General "Buck" Turgidson. It was said that Stanley Kubrick told Scott that he had all the takes for one of the early scenes in that film and asked him to redo the scene in an "over the top" fashion. This take was the one that is actually used in Dr. Strangelove.

Scott's greatest role, however, was when he played the swaggering and controversial World War II Army general, George Patton, in the 1970 movie, Patton. Scott had researched extensively for this role, studying films of the general and talking to those who knew him. Having declined an Academy Award nomination for his appearance in The Hustler, Scott returned his Oscar for Patton, stating that he didn't feel himself to be in competition with other actors. It was also in 1970 that Scott directed a very highly acclaimed television version of The Andersonville Trial. Jack Cassidy won an Emmy award for his performance as the defense lawyer in this production. In 1971 Scott gave another critically acclaimed performance in the black comedy film The Hospital: despite his having snubbed them the previous year, the Academy once again nominated him for the Best Actor award.

Scott had a reputation for being somewhat moody and mercurial while on the set. There is a famous story that one of his co-stars (Maureen Stapleton) told the director of Neil Simon's Plaza Suite: "I don't know what to do, I am scared of him". The director replied "My dear, everyone is scared of George C. Scott!"

In 1984, Scott was cast in the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in a television adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Critics and the public alike praised his performance. Some have said he was the finest Scrooge of all time, next to Alastair Sim. This movie has since become a television favorite at Christmas.

Scott was twice married to and twice divorced from Canadian-born actress Colleen Dewhurst, with whom he had two sons, one the actor Campbell Scott. He was also married to much younger actress Trish Vandevere, from whom he was estranged at the time of his death. His reputation will always be soiled, regardless of his greatness as an actor, by his physical abuse of the women in his life (Dewhurst, Vandevere, Ava Gardner). He died in 1999 from a ruptured abdomen aortic aneurysm. He was interred in the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Westwood, California.

Famous movie quotes

* "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But, I do say no more than ten to twenty million people killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks." - from Dr. Strangelove (1964)

* "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - from Patton (1970)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:10 am
Jean Claude Van Damme

Jean Claude Van Damme (born Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg on October 18, 1960), is a Belgian-born martial artist and actor who is most known for his action movies. His Belgian background gave rise to the nickname "The Muscles from Brussels."

Timeline

Van Damme first achieved fame by winning a number of European karate championships.

He was first seen on screen in the 1984 movie Monaco Forever. But, his first major role came in 1985, when he played Ivan Krushensky in No Retreat, No Surrender, which also starred Kurt McKinney. He was scheduled to play the part of the camouflaged monster in Predator. Wearing a heavy costume in the jungle was rough and Van Damme was unhappy with his role. How he left the picture is disputed: some say he quit, others say he was replaced when the character was revised. Van Damme claims he intentionally got fired so he could move on to other movies. Van Damme's appearance in Bloodsport earned him a nomination as "Worst New Star" in the 1988 Golden Raspberry Awards (he lost).

Van Damme worked his way up to Hollywood mainstream in the 1990s, often working with acclaimed foreign directors. Notable movies include Double Impact (1991), Universal Soldier (1992), Nowhere to Run (1993), Hard Target (1993), and his most critically praised work, Timecop (1994). In most of his movies, he plays a prize fighter, policeman, or soldier. Many of these roles included doppelgänger or Lazarus themes involving Van Damme's characters, an aspect unusual for the action movie genre.

By the end of the 1990s, Van Damme's high-profile career had faded but he continues to star in smaller, often direct-to-video movies. His movies have earned over $650 million worldwide, earning him a place in the action movie world along with others like Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris.

He has had troubles with cocaine and is also reported to have experienced bipolar disorder. He has been married five times, including two marriages with his current wife Gladys Portugues.

In 1998, Van Damme and his former bodyguard Chuck Zito were involved in a fist-fight at a New York strip-tease bar called Scores. Allegedly, Van Damme had said something negative about Zito while drunk, and when Zito confronted Van Damme about this Van Damme prepared himself for a fight and Zito began punching Van Damme. This event became notorious in the news and somewhat of a scandal for Van Damme.

On Screen Nudity

Jean Claude Van Damme has gained a reputation for numerous nude appearances in his films and has become a definite favourite for fans of male nudity. First appearing nude in Blood Sport, numerous nude appearances have occurred in subsequent films, including a lengthy one in Universal Soldier. Though only showing rear nudity, the athletic quality of Van Damme's posterior has heightened the appeal and many of his films have included brief nude appearances, though not integral to the plots in anyway. Van Damme is on record as saying "If you have a decent body why not show it? I'm very proud of my butt."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Van_Damme
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:41 am
Coldplay Lyrics

The Scientist

Come up to meet you, Tell you I'm sorry, You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you, Tell you I need you, Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets, And ask me your questions, Aww let's go back to the start

Runnin' in circles, [sounds like] Comin' our tails, Heads on the science apart

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard
Aww take me back to the start

I was just guessin', At numbers and figures, Pullin' the puzzles apart

Questions of science, Science and progress, Do not speak as loud as my heart

Tell me you love me, Come back to haunt me, Oh when I rush to the start

Runnin' in circles, [sounds like] Chasin' our tails, Comin' back as we are

Nobody said it was easy
Aww It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
I'm goin' back to the start
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:52 am
Once upon a time . . . a miller died leaving the mill to his eldest son, his donkey to his second son and . . . a cat to his youngest son.
"Now that's some difference!" you might say; but there you are, that's how the miller was! The eldest son kept the mill, the second son took the donkey and set off in search of his fortune . . . while the third sat down on a stone and sighed, "A cat! What am I going to do with that?"

But the cat heard his words and said, "Don't worry, Master. What do you think? That I'm worth less than a half-ruined mill or a mangy donkey? Give me a cloak, a hat with a feather in it, a bag and a pair of boots, and you will see what I can do."

The young man, by no means surprised, for it was quite common for cats to talk in those days, gave the cat what he asked for, and as he strode away, confident and cheerful. the cat said. "Don't look so glum, Master. See you soon!"

Swift of foot as he was, the cat caught a fat wild rabbit, popped it into his bag, knocked at the castle gate, went before the King and, removing his hat, with a sweeping bow, he said: "Sire, the famous Marquis of Carabas sends you this fine plump rabbit as a gift."

"Oh," said the King, "thanks so much."

"Till tomorrow," replied the cat as he went out. And the next day, back he came with some partridges tucked away in his bag. "Another gift from the brave Marquis of Carabas," he announced.

The Queen remarked, "This Marquis of Carabas is indeed a very courteous gentleman."

In the days that followed, Puss in Boots regularly visited the castle, carrying rabbits, hares, partridges and skylarks, presenting them all to the King in the name of the Marquis of Carabas. Folk at the palace began to talk about this noble gentleman.

"He must be a great hunter," someone remarked.

"He must be very loyal to the King," said someone else.

And yet another, "But who is he? I've never heard of him."

At this someone who wanted to show people how much he knew, replied, "Oh, yes, I've heard his name before. In fact, I knew his father."

The Queen was very interested in this generous man who sent these gifts. "Is your master young and handsome?" she asked the cat.

"Oh yes. And very rich, too," answered Puss in Boots. "In fact, he would be very honoured if you and the King called to see him in his castle."

When the cat returned home and told his master that the King and Queen were going to visit him, he was horrified. "Whatever shall we do?" he cried. "As soon as they see me they will know how poor I am."

"Leave everything to me," replied Puss in Boots. "I have a plan."

For several days, the crafty cat kept on taking gifts to the King and Queen, and one day he discovered that they were taking the Princess on a carriage ride that very afternoon. The cat hurried home in great excitement.

"Master, come along," he cried. "It is time to carry out my plan. You must go for a swim in the river."

"But I can't swim," replied the young man.

"That's all right," replied Puss in Boots. "Just trust me."

So they went to the river and when the King's carriage appeared the cat pushed his master into the water.

"Help!" cried the cat. "The Marquis of Carabas is drowning."

The King heard his cries and sent his escorts to the rescue. They arrived just in time to save the poor man, who really was drowning. The King, the Queen and the Princess fussed around and ordered new clothes to be brought for the Marquis of Carabas.

"Wouldn't you like to marry such a handsome man?" the Queen asked her daughter.

"Oh, yes," replied the Princess.

However, the cat overheard one of the ministers remark that they must find out how rich he was.

"He is very rich indeed," said Puss in Boots. "He owns the castle and all this land. Come and see for yourself. I will meet you at the castle."

And with these words, the cat rushed off in the direction of the castle, shouting at the peasants working in the fields, "If anyone asks you who your master is, answer: the Marquis of Carabas. Otherwise you will all be sorry."

And so, when the King's carriage swept past, the peasants told the King that their master was the Marquis of Carabas. In the meantime, Puss in Boots had arrived at the castle, the home of a huge, cruel ogre.

Before knocking at the gate, the cat said to himself, "I must be very careful, or I'll never get out of here alive."

When the door opened, Puss in Boots removed his feather hat, exclaiming, "My Lord Ogre, my respects!"

"What do you want, cat?" asked the ogre rudely.

"Sire, I've heard you possess great powers. That, for instance, you can change into a lion or an elephant."

"That's perfectly true," said the ogre, "and so what?"

"Well," said the cat, "I was talking to certain friends of mine who said that you can't turn into a tiny little creature, like a mouse."

"Oh, so that's what they say, is it?" exclaimed the ogre.

The cat nodded, "Well, Sire, that's my opinion too, because folk that can do big things never can manage little ones."

"Oh, yes? Well, just watch this!" retorted the ogre, turning into a mouse.

In a flash, the cat leapt on the mouse and ate it whole. Then he dashed to the castle gate, just in time, for the King's carriage was drawing up.

With a bow, Puss in Boots said, "Sire, welcome to the castle of the Marquis of Carabas!"

The King and Queen, the Princess and the miller's son who, dressed in his princely clothes, really did look like a marquis, got out of the carriage and the King spoke: "My dear Marquis, you're a fine, handsome, young man, you have a great deal of land and a magnificent castle. Tell me, are you married?"

"No," the young man answered, "but I would like to find a wife."

He looked at the Princess as he spoke. She in turn smiled at him. To cut a long story short, the miller's son, now Marquis of Carabas, married the Princess and lived happily with her in the castle. And from time to time, the cat would wink and whisper, "You see, Master, I am worth a lot more than any mangy donkey or half-ruined mill, aren't I?"

That's the Story of Puss 'N Boots!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
Good Day WA2K.

Today's birthdays:

1127 - Emperor Go-Shirakawa, emperor of Japan (d. 1192)
1405 - Pope Pius II (d. 1464)
1517 - Manoel da Nóbrega, Portuguese Jesuit in Brazil (d. 1570)
1547 - Justus Lipsius, Flemish humanist (d. 1606)
1569 - Giambattista Marini, Italian poet (d. 1625)
1595 - Edward Winslow, Plymouth Colony founder (d. 1655)
1634 - Luca Giordano, Italian artist (d. 1705)
1653 - Abraham van Riebeeck, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies (d. 1713)
1662 - Matthew Henry, English non-conformist minister (d. 1714)
1668 - John George IV, Elector of Saxony (d. 1694)
1679 - Ann Putnam, Jr., American accuser in the Salem Witch Trials (d. 1716)
1701 - Charles le Beau, French historian (d. 1778)
1706 - Baldassare Galuppi, Italian composer (d. 1785)
1741 - Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, French general and author (d. 1803)
1777 - Heinrich von Kleist, German writer (d. 1811)
1785 - Thomas Love Peacock, English satirist (d. 1866)
1859 - Henri Bergson, French philosopher, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature (d. 1941)
1873 - Ivanoe Bonomi, Prime Minister of Italy (d. 1951)
1893 - Georges Ohsawa, Japanese founder of Macrobiotics (d. 1966)
1898 - Lotte Lenya, Austrian singer and actress (d. 1981)
1898 - Shin'ichi Suzuki, Japanese violinist (d. 1998)
1902 - Miriam Hopkins, American actress (d. 1972)
1903 - Lina Radke, German athlete (d. 1983)
1906 - James Brooks, American painter (d. 1992)
1909 - Norberto Bobbio, Italian philosopher and legal theorist (d. 2004)
1911 - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Indian guru
1913 - Robert Gilruth, American aviation and space pioneer (d. 2000)
1918 - Bobby Troup, American musician (d. 1999)
1919 - Anita O'Day, American singer
1919 - Pierre Elliott Trudeau, fifteenth Prime Minister of Canada (d. 2000)
1920 - Melina Mercouri, Greek actress (d. 1994)
1921 - Jesse Helms, U.S. Senator from North Carolina
1926 - Chuck Berry, American musician
1926 - Klaus Kinski, German actor (d. 1991)
1927 - George C. Scott, American actor (d. 1999)
1928 - Keith Jackson, American football commentator
1928 - Hugh Allan "Buddy" MacMaster, Canadian musician
1929 - Violeta Chamorro, President of Nicaragua
1934 - Inger Stevens, Swedish actress (d. 1970)
1934 - Chuck Swindoll, American evangelist
1935 - Peter Boyle, American actor
1939 - Mike Ditka, American football player, coach, and commentator
1939 - Lee Harvey Oswald, American assassin of John F. Kennedy (d. 1963)
1946 - Howard Shore, Canadian film composer
1947 - Joe Morton, American actor
1947 - Laura Nyro, American singer and songwriter (d. 1997)
1948 - Ntozake Shange, American author
1949 - George Hendrick, baseball player
1950 - Om Puri, Indian actor
1950 - Wendy Wasserstein, American playwright
1951 - Terry McMillan, American author
1956 - Martina Navratilova, Czech-born tennis player
1960 - Jean-Claude Van Damme, Belgian actor
1961 - Wynton Marsalis, American musician
1976 - Azlea Antistia, American actress
http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9909/23/scott.obit.02/patton.jpghttp://www.guute.at/pictures/kino/2bac1ed5110a5d06164098cdac60c89e_2.jpghttp://www.shop4photos.net/graphics/228/228500.jpg
http://www.delta-shopping.de/portal/artikel/pics/401354987047420040514_104216.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
Good morning, WA2K fans and contributors.

edgar, that "Ivory Tears" was really poetic. Thanks Texas for J.L.L.'s rather sad but metaphorical song.

Hoorah! Bob has his hawk back. Looks good on 'ya, Boston, and thanks for the bio's. Always thought that George C. Scott was one fine actor, especially in Patton.

We all know the martial arts man, Claude, don't we? If I am not mistaken, he was friends (sorta) with the man who lives in Daytona Beach and created Hawaiian Tropics tanning lotion. Methinks he may have run off with the wife, but I'll have to double check that. Razz

We all love Mack the Knife, especially by Bobby Darin and thanks for telling us about Lotte, Boston.

Hey, Rex. Welcome back, buddy. and thanks for the music and the fairy tale. Somewhere in our archives, we have other stories by a fabulist with which we're all familiar.

Hey, Raggedy. Thank PA for the celeb updates that are such a complement to Bob's bios.

Later, folks. We'll try and locate a song to play for our European friends.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
Well Looka dat! Reyn the magician leaped into the breach and supplied me with the howto fix your avatar. Whata guy. Thank you Reyn. That hawk really means a lot to me.

You're welcome, Bob! I'm so glad you were able to figure out my instructions.

The hawk is now back with you in your travels. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
Reyn, I am surprised that you never considered teaching as a profession, Canada. <smile>

Speaking of teaching, listeners, so many lessons were learned through parables and fairy tales and fables. Here is one that has a different slant from Aesop:

Jean de la Fontaine:

The Cicada, having sung
All the summer,
Was extremely deprived
When the north wind had come:
Not only one small piece
Of fly or small worm.
It went to shout famine
In the Ant its neighbor,
Requesting to lend to him
Some grain to remain
Until the new season.
"I will pay you, says him it,
Before Oût, faith of animal,
Interest and the main thing "
The Ant is not prêteuse:
It is its least defect there.
What did you make at hot time?
She says to this emprunteuse.
- Night and day with all coming
I sang, does not displease to you.
- You sang? I am strong ease.
Eh well! dance now.

I think we remember that as the ant and the grasshopper. Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:45 am
I've posted this story before but I think it's worth retelling. The hawk in the avatar is one I caught and banded (for U. S. Fish and Wildlife). It's an adult goshawk. In it's younger days the feathers are brown Which in it's adult phase turn silver. The eyes go from yellow to red. My pal Mike and I band primarily during the fall migration.

Mike and I band at Devens (formerly Fort Devens) and work on different sides of the same hill. On this day I spotted a hawk pop up over the trees in front. I dove into my blind and started to work a pigeon on the line to attract it. The hawk flew by to get a look. Meanwhile a second hawk popped up in back of it. Satisfied with it's inspection the hawk dove at the pigeon and hit my net (15 feet high and 60 feet long). Tossing the line I bolted at a dead run to catch it. As I ran toward the net the second hawk hit the same net about 20 feet away from the goshawk. There was no question which I wanted more. I grabbed the goshawk by the legs.

Mike and I keep in touch using walkie talkies. I pulled mine out of a pocket and told him to get over the hill before the second one got away (my arms aren't 20 feet long). While I was getting the goshawk out of the net Mike made record time and looked like a cavalryman leading a charge down the hill. He grabbed the Coopers hawk and we had the makings of a very good day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:10 am
Well, Bio Bob, although you have told this story before, some things are worth repeating, dear.

Speaking of which, here's a garden song from the boss:

Garden - 1995
Bruce Springsteen lyrics

She'll let you in her house
If you come knockin' late at night
She'll let you in her mouth
If the words you say are right
If you pay the price
She'll let you deep inside
There's a secret garden she hides
She'll let you in her car
To go drivin' round
She'll let you into the parts of herself
That'll bring you down
She'll let you in her heart
If you got a hammer and a vise
But into her secret garden
Don't think twice
You've gone a million miles
How far'd you get
To that place where you can't remember
And you can't forget
She'll lead you down the path
There'll be tenderness in the air
She'll let you come just far enough
So you know she's really there
Then she'll look at you and smile
And her eyes will say
She's got a secret garden
Where everything you want
Where everything you need
Will always stay
A million miles away
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:35 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
...On this day I spotted a hawk pop up over the trees in front. I dove into my blind and started to work a pigeon on the line to attract it. The hawk flew by to get a look. Meanwhile a second hawk popped up in back of it. Satisfied with it's inspection the hawk dove at the pigeon and hit my net (15 feet high and 60 feet long). Tossing the line I bolted at a dead run to catch it. As I ran toward the net the second hawk hit the same net about 20 feet away from the goshawk...

The pigeon is still in therapy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:59 am
Well, hello, George. Nice to see you back in our studio. Have you any requests, dear?

We here on WA2K radio always enjoy the company of "Mass" folks, <smile>
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 10:04 am
Pigeons are really tough birds. He didn't need therapy but he went over his contract to see what he'd missed. He hadn't read the fine print.
0 Replies