You have the cool, clear eye of a seeker of wisdom and truth
Yet there's that up-turned chin, and the grin of impetuous youth

I believe in you

(remember that one?? Smile )

McT
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 04:43 am
i suffered a rather nasty injury at work on friday, i got my thumb caught between a belt an roller on a production line, much compressin of flesh, removing of nail and all the good stuff asociated with that sort of thing, anyway here's a song for me, the original version is by NIN, but i think johnny does it best

Hurt
Johnny Cash

I hurt myself today
to see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but I remember everything
what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
upon my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
beneath the stains of time
the feelings disappear
you are someone else
I am still right here

what have I become?
my sweetest friend
everyone I know
goes away in the end
and you could have it all
my empire of dirt

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

if I could start again
a million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:54 am
P. G. Wodehouse
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse (October 15, 1881 - February 14, 1975) was an English comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success for more than seventy years. Described by Sean O'Casey as "English literature's performing flea", Wodehouse was an acknowledged master of English prose admired both by contemporaries like Hilaire Belloc, Evelyn Waugh and Rudyard Kipling and by modern writers like Salman Rushdie, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.

Best-known today for the Jeeves and Blandings Castle novels and short stories, Wodehouse was also a talented lyricist who worked with Cole Porter on the musical Anything Goes and frequently collaborated with Jerome Kern. He wrote the lyrics for the hit song "Bill" in Show Boat.

Life

Born in Guildford, Wodehouse (pronounced "Wood-house") was nicknamed 'Plum'. He was educated at Dulwich College, but his anticipated progression to university was stymied by family financial problems. Subsequently he worked for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank for two years, though he was never really interested in banking as a career. Having taken up writing as his profession, he eventually went to Hollywood, where he earned enormous amounts as a screenwriter. Many of his novels were also serialized in magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post, which also paid large amounts of money. He married in 1914, gaining a stepdaughter.

Although Wodehouse and his novels are considered quintessentially English, from 1924 on he lived in France and the United States, and in 1955 he became an American citizen. He was also profoundly uninterested in politics and world affairs. When World War II broke out in 1939 he remained at his seaside home in Le Touquet, France, instead of returning to England, apparently failing to recognize the seriousness of the conflict. He was subsequently taken prisoner by the Germans in 1940 and interned by them for a year, first in Belgium, then at Tost in Upper Silesia (now in Poland). While at Tost, he entertained his fellow prisoners with witty dialogues, which, after being released from internment a few months short of his 60th birthday, he used as the basis for a series of radio broadcasts he was persuaded by the Germans to make from Berlin. Wartime England was in no mood for light-hearted banter, however, and the broadcasts led to many accusations of collaboration and even treason. Some libraries banned his books. Foremost among his critics was A. A. Milne, author of the "Winnie the Pooh" books; Wodehouse got some revenge by creating a ridiculous character named "Timothy Bobbin," who starred in hilarious parodies of some of Milne's children's poetry. Among Wodehouse's defenders were Evelyn Waugh and George Orwell (see links below).

The criticism led Wodehouse to move permanently to America with his wife, Edith. He became an American citizen in 1955, and never returned to his homeland. He was made a Knight of the British Empire (KBE) in 1975, shortly before his death. It is widely believed that the honour was not given earlier because of lingering resentment about the German broadcasts.

Many consider Wodehouse as second only to Charles Dickens in fecundity of character invention. His characters however were not always popular with the establishment, notably the foppish foolishness of Bertie Wooster. Papers released by the Public Record Office have disclosed that when P. G. Wodehouse was recommended in 1967 for a Companion of Honour, Sir Patrick Dean, the British ambassador in Washington, argued that it "would also give currency to a Bertie Wooster image of the British character which we are doing our best to eradicate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._G._Wodehouse
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:09 am
Nietzche
Had it peachy
Rolling Eyes
Very Happy
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
Mervyn LeRoy

Mervyn LeRoy (October 15, 1900 - September 13, 1987) was an American film director, producer and sometime actor. Born in San Francisco, California, his family was financially ruined by the 1906 earthquake. To make money, young Mervyn sold newspapers and entered talent shows as a singer. Through this he worked his way into vaudeville. When his act broke up, he and his cousin, Jesse Lasky, went to Hollywood.

LeRoy worked in costumes, processing labs and as a camera assistant until he became a gag writer and actor in silent films. His first directing job was in 1927's No Place to Go. When his movies made lots of money without costing too much, he became well-received in the movie business.

In 1930 he directed the gangster epic Little Caesar, and his career was made. In 1938 he was chosen as head of production at MGM. It was his doing that the studio made The Wizard of Oz. He was responsible for discovering Clark Gable, Loretta Young, Robert Mitchum and Lana Turner.

In the 1950s LeRoy directed such musicals as Lovely to Look At, Million Dollar Mermaid, Latin Lovers and Rose Marie. He moved to Warner Brothers, where he was responsible for such famous films as Mister Roberts, The Bad Seed, No Time for Sergeants, The FBI Story and Gypsy.

He was nominated in 1943 for Best Director for Random Harvest. and also in 1940 as the producer of The Wizard of Oz. In addition, he received an honorary Oscar in 1946 for The House I Live In, "for tolerance short subject", and the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award in 1976.

LeRoy retired in 1965 and wrote his autobiography, Take One, in 1974. He died in Beverly Hills, California and was interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1560 Vine Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_LeRoy
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:11 am
C. P. Snow

Charles Percy Snow, Baron Snow, CBE (15 October 1905 - 1 July 1980) was a scientist and novelist.

Born in Leicester, he was educated at University College, Leicester and Cambridge University, where he became a Fellow of Christ's College. He was knighted in 1957 and made a life peer as Baron Snow, of the City of Leicester, in 1964. He served as a Minister in the Labour government of Harold Wilson.

Snow is most noted for his lectures and books regarding his concept of "The Two Cultures", as developed in The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution (1959). Here he notes that the breakdown of communication between the sciences and the humanities is a major hindrance to solving the world's problems.

In particular, Snow argues that the quality of education in the world is on the decline. For example, many scientists have never read Charles Dickens, but artistic intellectuals are equally non-conversant with science. He wrote:

"A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people who, by the standards of the traditional culture, are thought highly educated and who have with considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the illiteracy of scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the company how many of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The response was cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is about the scientific equivalent of: 'Have you read a work of Shakespeare's?'

I now believe that if I had asked an even simpler question -- such as, What do you mean by mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, 'Can you read?' -- not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that I was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics goes up, and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have about as much insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had."

Snow's lecture aroused considerable ferment at the time of its delivery, partly because of the uncompromising style in which he stated his case. He was strongly criticised by the literary critic F. R. Leavis. The dispute even inspired a comic song on the subject of the second law of thermodynamics from Flanders & Swann.

Snow wrote:

"When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion."

Snow also took note of another divide; that between rich and poor nations.

Snow's first novel was the whodunnit Death under Sail (1932). However, he is much better known as the author of a sequence of political novels entitled Strangers and Brothers depicting intellectuals in academic and government settings in the modern era. He also wrote a biography of Anthony Trollope.

C.P. Snow was married to novelist Pamela Hansford Johnson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._P._Snow
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:17 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:25 am
Barry McGuire

Barry McGuire (born 15 October 1935) is an American singer-songwriter.

He was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and moved to California in early childhood. At age 16 he joined the United States Navy, but was discharged ten months later for being under age.

After living as a drifter in his late teens and early twenties, McGuire got a job singing in a bar. In 1961, he formed a duo with Barry Kane. They both joined the New Christy Minstrels in the Spring of 1962. In 1963, McGuire wrote the Christys' first and greatest hit single: "Green, Green." He left the Christys in January, 1965, after recording the album "Cowboys and Indians".

As a folk-rock solo singer in the 1960s, he was best known for his hits "Eve of Destruction" and "Sins of the Family", both written by P.F. Sloan.

McGuire's LP, The Eve of Destruction reached its peak of #37 on the Billboard album chart during the week ending 1965 September 25. That same day the single of that name went to #1 on both charts. McGuire was never again to break into the Billboard Top 40, qualifying him to hold down slot 183 in The Billboard Book of Number One Hits as well as pages 188 and 189 in The Billboard Book of One Hit Wonders.

The album This Precious Time was released in 1966, his second with Dunhill Records. It includes a version of California Dreamin' with The Mamas and the Papas singing backing vocals.

McGuire appeared in the 1967 movie The President's Analyst with James Coburn and in Werewolves on Wheels in 1971. He also starred for a year in the Broadway musical Hair.

McGuire converted to Christianity in 1971. In 1973, he joined the Myrrh label and released the album Seeds. This album is also notable for the backing vocals provided by the family trio that would become known as the 2nd Chapter of Acts. In 1974, McGuire released his second Contemporary Christian album Lighten Up, which included a remake of "Eve of Destruction". He toured with 2nd Chapter of Acts and "a band called David" and in 1975 this collaborative effort resulted in the live double album To the Bride.

In 1976, he left Myrrh, joining former Myrrh executive Billy Ray Hearn's new label Sparrow Records. He recorded seven albums on Sparrow, the best known of which is Cosmic Cowboy, released in 1978. That year he also released a top-selling children's album Bullfrogs and Butterflies for Sparrow's subsidiary label Birdwing.

In the 1980s, McGuire left the music industry and settled for a time in New Zealand with his New Zealand wife, Mari. He returned to the United States in the 1990s, teaming up with Terry Talbot and recording as Talbot McGuire. The duo released four albums between 1996 and 2000.

As of 2004, he only takes engagements which include a few songs and talks on a mixture of topics by both McGuire and his wife. The McGuires currently reside in New Zealand but plan to split their time between New Zealand and California as McGuire has not been granted permanent residency in New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_McGuire

Barry McGuire - You Were On My Mind Lyrics

When I woke up this morning
And you were on my mind.
You were on my mind

I got troubles, woe-woe
I got worries, woe-woe
I got wounds to bind.

So I went to the corner
Just to ease my pain
I said, just to ease my pain.

I got troubles, woe-woe
I got worries, woe-woe
I came home again.

And you were on my mind.
And you were on my mind.

I got troubles, woe-woe
I got worries, woe-woe
I got wounds to bind.

But I gotta feelin` yeah
Down in my shoes
I said, way down in my shoes.

I got a rainbow, woe-woe
I gotta move on, woe-woe
I gotta walk away my blues.

And you were on my mind
I said, you were on my mind.

Well I got troubles, woe-woe
I got worries, woe-woe
I got wounds to bind.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:30 am
Penny Marshall

Birthplace: The Bronx, New York (USA)
Birthday: 10-15-1942

Still seen daily-in most parts of the civilized world, anyway-on syndicated reruns of the sitcom "Laverne and Shirley," in which she starred from 1976-83. Marshall first attracted notice in a recurring role on "The Odd Couple" (1973-75), which like "Laverne" was produced by her brother Garry. Today she is recognized as a talented director of highly commercial mainstream movies, including Big (1988), Awakenings (1990), A League of Their Own (1992), and Renaissance Man (1994). As an actress she appeared in the movies The Savage Seven, How Sweet It Is (both 1968), 1941 (1979), Movers and Shakers (1985), The Hard Way (1991), and Hocus Pocus (1993). Her feature-film directorial debut, Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986), is best forgotten; she has since vindicated herself with more successful offerings. Once married to actor/director Rob Reiner (with whom she starred in the 1979 TV movie More Than Friends which he wrote about their early courtship), she has used daughter Tracy Reiner in some of her films. She also found parts for her brother in Jumpin' Jack Flash and A League of Their Own

http://www.tv.com/penny-marshall/person/1831/biography.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:55 am
This for djjd.

Timi Yuro

Hurt

I'm so hurt to think that you lied to me
I'm hurt way down deep inside of me
You said our love was true
And we'll never, never part
Now you've got someone new
And it breaks my heart

I'm hurt, much more than you'll ever know
Yes darling, I'm so hurt
Because I still love you so
Even though you hurt me
Like nobody else could ever do
I would never hurt, hurt you
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:57 am
Good Day WA2K .

Today's birthdays:

70 BC - Virgil, Roman poet (d. 19 BC)
AD 1471 - Konrad Mutian, German humanist (d. 1526)
1608 - Evangelista Torricelli, Italian physicist and mathematician (d. 1647)
1686 - Allan Ramsay, Scottish poet (d. 1758)
1701 - Marie-Marguerite d'Youville, Canadian saint (d. 1771)
1814 - Mikhail Lermontov, Russian author (d. 1841)
1829 - Asaph Hall, American astronomer (d. 1907)
1836 - James Tissot, French artist (d. 1902)
1844 - Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (d. 1900)
1858 - John L. Sullivan, American boxer (d. 1918))
1881 - P. G. Wodehouse, British novelist (d. 1975)
1894 - Moshe Sharett, second Prime Minister of Israel (d. 1965)
1898 - Boughera El Ouafi, Algerian athlete (d. 1951)
1900 - Mervyn LeRoy, American film director (d. 1987)
1905 - C. P. Snow, British writer (d. 1980)
1906 - Hiram Leong Fong, American politician (d. 2004)
1907 - Varian Fry, American journalist and rescuer (d. 1987)
1908 - John Kenneth Galbraith, Canadian economist
1909 - Robert Trout, American reporter (d. 2000)
1917 - Arthur Schlesinger Jr., American political commentator and author
1917 - Jan Miner, American actress (d. 2004)
1920 - Mario Puzo, American novelist (d. 1999)
1923 - Italo Calvino. Italian writer (d. 1985)
1924 - Lee Iacocca, American industrialist
1924 - Mark Lenard, American actor (d. 1996)
1926 - Michel Foucault, French philosopher (d. 1984)
1926 - Evan Hunter, American author (d. 2005)
1926 - Jean Peters, American actress (d. 2000)
1926 - Karl Richter, German conductor (d. 1981)
1930 - FM-2030, philosopher (d. 2000)
1931 - Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, President of India
1935 - Bobby Joe Morrow, American athlete
1937 - Barry McGuire, American singer
1942 - Penny Marshall, American actress, comedienne, and director
1944 - Sali Berisha, Incoming Albanian Prime Minister and former president of Albania
1945 - Jim Palmer, baseball player
1946 - Richard Carpenter, American singer, pianist, composer (Carpenters)
1953 - Tito Jackson, American musician
1954 - Peter Bakowski, Australian poet
1957 - Mira Nair, Indian director
1959 - Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York
1959 - Emeril Lagasse, American chef
1959 - Todd Solondz, American film director
1964 - Roberto Vittori, Italian astronaut
1969 - Vanessa Marcil, American actress
1970 - Eric Benét, American singer
1972 - Sandra Kim, Belgian singer
1975 - Ginuwine, American singer
1981 - Elena Dementieva, Russian tennis player
1981 - Guo Jingjing, Chinese diver, 2004 Olympic 3M Diving Champion
http://www.alohacriticon.com/images/elcriticonfotos/jeanpetersup0.jpg
Jean Peters

Although this dark-haired beauty won star status with her first screen appearance pposite Tyrone Power in Captain From Castile (1947)-Peters won more notoriety as the wife of eccentric tycoon Howard Hughes, whom she secretly married in 1957. She initially went to Hollywood after competing in the Miss Ohio State beauty contest, and 20th Century-Fox signed her immediately. For the next several years Peters played sexy spitfires, often in period dramas and Westerns. She retired from the screen upon marrying Hughes, but resumed her career on TV after their 1971 divorce.

OTHER FILMS INCLUDE: 1948: Deep Waters 1949: It Happens Every Spring 1950: Love That Brute 1951: Take Care of My Little Girl, As Young As You Feel, Anne of the Indies 1952: Viva Zapata!, Wait 'Til the Sun Shines, Nellie, O. Henry's Full House, Lure of the Wilderness 1953: Niagara (stolen from her by fellow Fox contractee Marilyn Monroe), Pickup on South Street, Blueprint for Murder, Vicki 1954: Three Coins in the Fountain, Apache, Broken Lance 1955: A Man Called Peter

(Leonard Maltin Encycl.)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:50 am
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Music: Frank Loesser
Lyrics: Frank Loesser
Book: Abe Burrows + Willie Gilbert + Jack Weinstock
Premiere: Saturday, October 14, 1961

I Believe In You

FRUMP:
Hello, Executive Washroom. Oh! Come on down. We're here making plans.

COMPANY:
Gotta stop that man.
I've gotta stop that man cold
Or he'll stop me.

Big deal, big rocket,
Thinks he has the world in his pocket.
Gotta stop, gotta stop.
Gotta stop that man.

FRUMP:
Now! Look at him standing and staring at himself on the mirror!

FINCH:
Now there you are.
Yes, there's that face.
That face that somehow I trust.
It may embrace you, too.
Here me say it.
But say it I must,
Say it I must

You have the cool clear
Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth,

Yet, there's that up turned chin
And the grin of impetuous youth.

Oh, I believe in you,
I believe in you.

I hear the sound of good
Solid judgment whenever you talk.

Yet, there's the bold, brave spring
Of the tiger that quickens your walk.
(roar, roar!)

Oh, I believe in you,
I believe in you.

And when my faith in my fellow man
Oh but falls apart,
I've but to feel your hand grasping mine
And I take heart,
I take heart.

To see the cool clear
Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth,

Yet with the slam, bang, tang
Reminiscent of gin and vermouth.

Oh, I believe in you,
I believe in you.

MALE ENSEMBLE:
Gotta stop that man.
Gotta stop that man.

Or he'll stop me.

Big will, big beaver
For we won't live in front of this fever

Gotta stop, gotta stop.
Gotta stop that man.

FINCH:
Oh, I believe in you...

COMPANY:
Don't let it be such a hero

FINCH:
(ha, ha, ha)
You...
(ha, ha, ha)
You...
You!

COMPANY:
Gotta stop that man!
Gotta stop him!
Stop that man!
Gotta stop him!
Gotta stop that man!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:51 am
Diane wrote-

Quote:
Spendy, why is it that sometimes the very brightest (speaking of you here--don't let it go to your head) really don't have a clue about everyday things. The scroll is for skipping over that which you don't wish to read. It can even scroll over several paragraphs which don't interest you.

Nothing goes to my head Di.(See member profile).

If I want to know about Nietzsche or Wodehouse or Snow I will go to my library which contains copious amounts about all three.I have nothing on the other two.

You are welcome to the tiny pots and I'm glad you like them.But don't get into any discussions about them with somebody who thinks that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.But still-you'll be able to name drop and,if you can remember it,add a liitle superficial colour all ready made for you and neatly packaged.Everybody'll think your an intellectual."Gee!" they'll say,"she knows Foucault-she must be an expert on discursive formations and enunciative modalities.Wow!

They-they show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I-I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

Keep it comin' Bobby.Hey-put Thus Spake on in full and get the madness straight from the horse's mouth.Foucault will giggle in his grave.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:16 am
Good morning, WA2K radio.

Letty is feeling a bit under the weather today, so I will be back later to acknowledge each and every contribution.

Later, listeners.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
spendius
We don't need the controversy on this thread.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
this being Nietzsche's birthday and all, i could tell dj that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but i won't. Razz

but i'm truly sorry dj, you need those digits in good order for your WA2K contributions.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
spendius said
"But still-you'll be able to name drop and,if you can remember it,add a liitle superficial colour all ready made for you and neatly packaged.Everybody'll think your an intellectual."Gee!" they'll say,"she knows Foucault-she must be an expert on discursive formations and enunciative modalities.Wow!"

And you say you aren't nasty to people? You remind me of my worst teacher, bitterly sarcastic and then turning round and saying 'Can't you take a joke?'
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:00 am
First, let me welcome Clary back to our studio. I wasn't quite certain what you meant by the breaking news, dear, but it's always a pleasure to see you here.

dj, I am so sorry about your work related injury. It seems that you and I have a bit in common today. Take care of that thumb, Canada, so that you may use it for "thumbs up" and all that.<smile>

Dear McTag, My mind is clear, honey. It's my eyes that aren't seeing too 20-20ish.

Hey, Boston Bob. Thanks again for the great background info on our Raggedy's celebs. It always fits nicely into our cyber radio format.

You know, Raggedy, when I saw the movie The Aviator about the life of Hughes, I did a background check, and was quite disappointed in what the movie did NOT include; Jean Peters was one of those omitted.

Hey, Mr. Turtle. I've decided that what doesn't kill us--doesn't kill us. Razz

Reyn has the right idea, I think, to post each message for our audience in succession rather than try and do it all in one breathless speech.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:08 am
Thank you Letkin, the breaking news was just to remind various people who used to visit the Balderdash game that another one was commencing... all bluffs welcome!
0 Replies