WA2K Radio is now on the air

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:45 pm
the gaps between the brick pavers and the patio concrete we planted with wooly thyme so when you walk over it you get the nice aroma. the entire area is only 50 by 25 feet so we don't have a lot of space to work with. this is our living room for 6 months of the year.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:50 pm
We're nearing the end of another day. A lot of ground has been covered. But we cannot rest on our laurels. In our neverending quest to reduce the chaos in communications I submit this list of "to do's". One list is for the pets; the other for visitors who are not adept at dealing with pets.

Subject: A Letter to Our Pets...

The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort.

Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, bark, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years -- canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!

To return the kindness of your obedience, my dear pets, I have posted the following on our front door so visitors to our home know what the rules are here:

Rules for Non-Pet Owners Who Visit and Like to Complain About Our Pets
1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. (That's why they call it "fur"niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted children who are short, hairy and walk on all fours. Although they don't speak clearly, they communicate extremely well, especially my cats.
5. Dogs and cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called (this does not apply to cats), never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about having to buy the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, and don't
need a gazillion dollars for college. Also, if they get pregnant, you can sell the children!

Please commit these to memory as there may be a test. Thank you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:10 pm
Across The Sea - by Ernest Kaai, Ray Kinney & John Noble

Listen to the song the birds are singing
Of the southern isles across the sea
Island gems within a coral setting
Islands of the sunny southern sea

Bright the sky above with golden sunshine
Flooding all the lands with warmth and light
See the palm trees swaying to the ocean
Whispering songs of love by day and night

Chorus:
Across the sea and isle is calling me
Calling to the wanderer to retrun
Bidding me come back to fair Hawai`i
To these sunny isles across the sea

See the surf comes rolling ever onwards
Meets the land and melts in creamy foam
Breaks upon the shore and scatters quickly
Like a million pearls let loose to roam

Watch the spray which melts in liquid sunshine
Tossed up from the bosom of the deep
High above in varied colors forming
Like the mermaids rising from their sleep

Copyright 1919
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:14 pm
Well, Bob. I just memorized the entire list, and the next time I get a pet, I'll know exactly what to do. Very funny, honey.

Well, Letty has a king sized bed and it's calling my name, so I will say goodnight for now.

Meet me tonight in dreamland, under the silv'ry moon.
Meet me tonight in dreamland, where love's sweet roses bloom.
Come with the love light gleaming in your dear eyes of blue.
Meet me in dreamland, sweet, dreamy dreamland, there let my dreams come true.
Meet me tonight in dreamland, under the silv'ry moon.
Meet me tonight in dreamland, where loves sweet roses bloom.
Come with the love light gleaming in you dear eyes of blue.
Meet me in dreamland, sweet, dreamy dreamland,
there let my dreams come true.

Tonight the yawn--tomorrow the yodel.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:20 pm
very nice garden dys

here's my backyard, there's a bench under the flowering crab, that faces the east and affords a nice view of sunrise

http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/214249/crabtree2.JPG
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:23 pm
Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree

Don't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but me
anyone else but me
anyone else but me
no no no
don't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but me
'til I come marching home
don't go walking down lovers lane
with anyone else but me
anyone else but me
anyone else but me
no no no
don't go walking down lovers lane
with anyone else but me
I just got word from a guy who heard
from the guy next door to me
the girl he met just loved to pet
and fits you to a "T"
so don't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but me
don't give out with those lips of yours
to anyone else but me
anyone else but me
anyone else but me
no no no
watch the girls on the foreign shores
you'll have to report to me
when you come marching home
you're on your own
when there is no phone and I can't keep tab on you
be fair to me I'll garuantee
this is one thing that I'll do
I won't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but you
'til you come marching home
don't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but me
I know the apple tree
is reserved for you and me
and I'll be true
'til you come marching home
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:12 pm
DEAR DOCTOR
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Oh help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
There's a pain where there once was a heart
It's sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

Oh help me, please mama, I'm sick'ning
It's today that's the day of the plunge
Oh the gal I'm to marry
Is a bow-legged sow
I've been soakin' up drink like a sponge

"Don't ya worry, get dressed," cried my mother
As she plied me with bourbon so sour
Pull your socks up, put your suit on
Comb your long hair down,
For you will be wed in the hour

So help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
I'm sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please take it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

Oh help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
It's sleepin, it's a beatin'
Can't ya please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

I was tremblin', as I put on my jacket
It had creases as sharp as a knife
I put the ring in my pocket
But there was a note
And my heart it jumped into my mouth

It read, "Darlin', I'm sorry to hurt you.
But I have no courage to speak to your face.
But I'm down in Virginia with your cousin Lou
There be no wedding today."

So help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
You can put back my heart in its hole
Oh mama, I'm cryin'
Tears of relief
And my pulse is now under control
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:47 am
I'm sure aggie's asleep as all sensible people are but I wanted to be sure Omar Khayyam was on her birthday list. No, I won't call and ask her. I've mentioned it before but it's worthy of mentioning again. Rubai means quatrain; the plural is rubaiyat.

Omar Khayyám
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The man known in English as the poet Omar Khayyám (May 18, 1048 - December 4, 1123, assumed dates) was born in Nishapur (or Naishapur) in Khorasan, Persia, and named Ghiyath al-Din Abu'l-Fath Umar ibn Ibrahim Al-Nisaburi al-Khayyami (al-Khayyami means "the tentmaker"). His name in Persian is "عمر خیام".

Omar Khayyam the mathematician

He was famous during his lifetime as a mathematician and astronomer who calculated how to correct the Persian calendar. On March 15, 1079, Sultan Jalal al-Din Malekshah Saljuqi (1072-1092) put Omar's corrected calendar into effect, as in Europe Julius Caesar had done in 46 B.C. with the corrections of Sosigenes, and as Pope Gregory XIII would do in February 1552 with Aloysius Lilius' corrected calendar (although Britain would not switch from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar until 1751, and Russia would not switch until 1918).

He is also well known for inventing the method of solving cubic equations by intersecting a parabola with a circle.

Omar Khayyam the astronomer

In 1073, the Malik-Shah, ruler of Esfahan, invited Khayyám to build and work with an observatory, along with various other distinguished scientists. Eventually, Khayyám very accurately (correct to within six decimal places) measured the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days.

He was famous in Persian and Arab world for his astronomical observations. He built a (now lost) map of stars in the sky.

Omar Khayyam and Islam

The philosophy of Omar Khayyam was quite different from official Islamic dogmas. He agreed with the existence of God but objected to the notion that every particular event and phenomenon was the result of divine intervention. Instead he supported the view that laws of nature explained all particular phenomena of observed life. Religious officials asked him many times to explain his different views about Islam. Khayyam eventually made a hajj [pilgrimage] to Mecca in order to prove he was a faithful follower of the religion.

Omar Khayyam the writer and poet

Omar Khayyám is famous today not for his scientific accomplishments, but for his literary works. He is believed to have written about a thousand four-line verses. In the English-speaking world, he is best known for The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám in the English translations by Edward Fitzgerald (1809-1883).

Other people have also published translations of some of the rubáiyát (rubáiyát means "quatrains"), but Fitzgerald's are the best known. Translations also exist in languages other than English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayyam

LXXI
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

LXXII
And that inverted Bowl they call the Sky,
Whereunder crawling coop'd we live and die,
Lift not your hands to It for help--for It
As impotently moves as you or I.

LXXIII
With Earth's first Clay They did the Last Man knead,
And there of the Last Harvest sow'd the Seed:
And the first Morning of Creation wrote
What the Last Dawn of Reckoning shall read.

LXXIV
Yesterday This Day's Madness did prepare;
To-morrow's Silence, Triumph, or Despair:
Drink! for you know not whence you came, nor why:
Drink! for you know not why you go, nor where.

LXXV
I tell you this--When, started from the Goal,
Over the flaming shoulders of the Foal
Of Heav'n Parwin and Mushtari they flung
In my predestined Plot of Dust and Soul.

LXXI
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

LXXII
And that inverted Bowl they call the Sky,
Whereunder crawling coop'd we live and die,
Lift not your hands to It for help--for It
As impotently moves as you or I.

LXXIII
With Earth's first Clay They did the Last Man knead,
And there of the Last Harvest sow'd the Seed:
And the first Morning of Creation wrote
What the Last Dawn of Reckoning shall read.

LXXIV
Yesterday This Day's Madness did prepare;
To-morrow's Silence, Triumph, or Despair:
Drink! for you know not whence you came, nor why:
Drink! for you know not why you go, nor where.

LXXV
I tell you this--When, started from the Goal,
Over the flaming shoulders of the Foal
Of Heav'n Parwin and Mushtari they flung
In my predestined Plot of Dust and Soul.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:30 am
djjd, what a great crabapple tree. And.. I can see it is a lovely bench. A fine sight to see.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:28 am
Now there's a gray day. Yesterday's sun is only a memory. Looks like a good hunker down day but I'm on my way out the door. Gonna grab my breakfast and coffee at the Seaside in Nahant. Couldn't leave the listeners without a song though. Guilt would dog my steps. Let's ask Neil Diamond to take it from here.

YOU DON'T BRING ME FLOWERS
Written by Neil Diamond, Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman

You don't bring me flowers
You don't sing me love songs
You hardly talk to me anymore
When you come through the door
At the end of the day

I remember when
You couldn't wait to love me
Used to hate to leave me
Now after lovin' me late at night
When it's good for you
And you're feeling alright
Well you just roll over
And you turn out the light
And you don't bring me flowers anymore

It used to be so natural
To talk about forever
But 'used to be's' don't count anymore
They just lay on the floor
'Til we sweep them away

And baby, I remember
All the things you taught me
I learned how to laugh
And I learned how to cry
Well I learned how to love
Even learned how to lie
You'd think I could learn
How to tell you goodbye
'Cause you don't bring me flowers anymore
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:33 am
Good morning, WA2K audience.

dj, osso is right. That is one titan of a tree, and I have never seen such luscious blossoms. What a fantastic back yard, my friend. You certainly did choose the exact song for your bench. <smile>

edgar, that was a funny song. It seems that two wrongs did make a right, in that case. Love it!

Bob, I love listening to Omar Khayyam. I can remember as vividly as if it were yesterday, my dad reading those quatrains in his deep voice as I sat on my mom's lap. Thank you for the reminder.

There is not one breath of wind here, folks.and the hunter of the East is already beginning to rule the day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:27 am
news update:

Jane Fonda Film Banned From Ky. Theaters Tue May 17, 7:47 PM ET

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. - The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Mixed emotions on this, folks
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:25 am
No Jane Fonda movies? Not even "Barbarella"?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:28 am
Good Day to all. I'm so glad Bob mentioned Omar. He wasn't on the birthday list. How could they omit him? I still have a copy of the Rubaiyat that my mother bought me when I was in my teens. I love:

Come, fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To fly---and Lo! the Bird is on the Wing.

May 18 birthdays (looking good)

1048 Omar Khayyam in Nishapur, Persia (now Iran) Died: December 4, 1131
1814 Mikhail Bakunin, anarchist/revolutionary leader (Russia; died 1876)
1872 Bertrand Russell, philosopher/mathematician (Britain; died 1970) (Aggie's signature line)
1892 Ezio Pinza, opera singer (Rome, Italy; died 1957) (B'Way South Pacific)
1897 Frank Capra, director (Palermo, Sicily; died 1991) It's A Wonderful Life; It Happened One Night; Mr. Deeds Goes to Town; Arsenic and Old Lace; Meet John Doe, etc. etc. etc.
1902 Meredith Willson, composer/playwright/musician (Mason City, IA; died 1984) The Music Man, The Unsinkable Molly Brown
1904 Jacob Javits, New York senator (New York, NY; died 1986)
1911 Big Joe Turner Kansas City MO, blues singer (Corrine Corrina, Shake Rattle & Roll, died 1985
1912 Perry Como, singer (Canonsburg, PA; died 2001)
1919 Margot Fonteyn, ballerina (Reigate, Surrey, England; died 1991)
1920 Pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyla), pope (Wadowice, Poland)
1930 Pernell Roberts, actor (Waycross, GA)
1931 Robert Morse, actor (Newton, MA)
1937 Brooks Robinson, baseball player (Little Rock, AR)
1946 Reggie Jackson, baseball player (Wyncote, PA)
1952 George Strait, country singer/musician (Pearsall, TX)
1955 Yun-Fat Chow, actor (Hong Kong)

http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/amg_covers/200/drg600/g602/g60222op4o1.jpghttp://www.rnh.com/news/winter99/graphics/south_pacific.gif
http://www.dvd4music.com/prodimages/3203111839l.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:38 am
George, they let you in to see that oldie? I'll bet you lied about your age.<smile>

Raggedy, thanks again for the update, PA. My sister gave me a copy of the tent maker's verse. Didn't Sherlock Homes carry a persian slipper with his pipe tobacco in it?

Ah, Bertrand Russell. I know so little about that man, and yes, Aggie. I love your signature, too.

Ezio Pinza. Didn't he sing SamandJanet evening? Razz

Question of the day:

What pipe is made from a very hard mineral?

(edited to get rid of a superfluous question mark)
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:32 am
OK. SamandJanet Evening is funny. Laughing

I don't know much about Sherlock Holmes - or pipes.

I don't believe in banning or censoring books or movie prohibition. Very Happy

And I don't know a whole lot about Bertrand Russell beyond reading and enjoying his witticisms.

Bertrand Arthur William Russell (b.1872 - d.1970) was a British philosopher, logician, essayist, and social critic, best known for his work in mathematical logic and analytic philosophy. His most influential contributions include his defense of logicism (the view that mathematics is in some important sense reducible to logic), and his theories of definite descriptions and logical atomism. Along with G.E. Moore, Russell is generally recognized as one of the founders of analytic philosophy. Along with Kurt Gödel, he is also regularly credited with being one of the two most important logicians of the twentieth century.
Over the course of his long career, Russell made significant contributions, not just to logic and philosophy, but to a broad range of other subjects including education, history, political theory and religious studies. In addition, many of his writings on a wide variety of topics in both the sciences and the humanities have influenced generations of general readers. After a life marked by controversy (including dismissals from both Trinity College, Cambridge, and City College, New York), Russell was awarded the Order of Merit in 1949 and the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1950. Also noted for his many spirited anti-war and anti-nuclear protests, Russell remained a prominent public figure until his death at the age of 97.

Some Bertrand Russell quotes:

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.

Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.

In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.
Bertrand Russell

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.

The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:20 pm
Letty wrote:
Question of the day:

What pipe is made from a very hard mineral?

Could it be Meerschaum?

"Meerschaum" is a German word meaning literally, "sea-foam," alluding to the belief that it was the compressed whitecaps of waves, just as it is said in mythology for the goddess of beauty - Aphrodite. Meerschaum is a hydrated magnesium silicate. Magnesium doesn't make it strong and the hydrogen and oxygen don't make it cool. It is the crystalline structure; the arrangement of the magnesium, silicon, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms in a rigid crystalline structure that makes sepiolite (the clay mineral that is identified by pipe smokers as meerschaum) so good for smoking. The average size of the meerschaum blocks extracted from the clay is about the size of a grapefruit
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:40 pm
Fantastic quote, Raggedy. Odd the one about pleasure and trivia, cause I just got off C.I.'s thread about same, and it is pleasurable.

Listeners, it is truly marvelous what we share here on WA2K radio.

Hmmm. Wonder if Bertrand is any kin to Jack? (figure that one out)

Having a bit of a problem with the equipment, listeners. Need to call a geek. Hope he brings the right gifts.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:59 pm
Well, Francis. That was the correct answer. I had forgotten about those intricately carved pipes. Anything you DON'T know Paris? <smile>

Now for a brief test:

DIAMONDS ARE A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND
By: Nicole Kidman
Submitted By: [email protected]
The french are glad to die for love

(IN MOVIE: They delight in fighting duels
but I prefur a man who lives
and gives expensive.... JEWELS..)

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
but diamonds are a girls best friend
a kiss may be grand but it wont pay the rental
on your humble flat
or help you feed your MEOW! pussycat
Men grow cold as girls grow old and we all loose our charms in the end
but square cut or pear shaped these rocks
don't loose their shape
diamonds are a girl's best friend

tiffany!
cartier!

cause we are living in a material world and I am a material girl

come and get me boys
OW!
black star ross call talk to me harry zidler tell me all about it!
there may come a time when a lass needs a lawyer
but diamonds are a girls best friend
there may come a time when a hard-boiled employer thinks you're awful nice (ou!)
but get that ice or else no dice

hes your guy when stocks are high
but beware when they start to descend
X2 diamonds are a girls best
friend
:: scenes from movie::
everything is going so well!

cause thats when those louses go back to their spouses
diamonds are a girls best friend!!!

Corrections?

Good grief. Corrections? Hey dancingqueen, better take a quick refresher course. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:19 pm
Meerschaum, btw, is called sepiolite as well.

Sepiolite's chief use is for tobacco pipes. The most important commercial deposit is the plain of Eskisehir, Tur., where it is found as irregular nodules in alluvial deposits; it is an alteration product of serpentine. When first extracted, sepiolite is soft, but it hardens on drying. Sepiolite also occurs in France, Greece, the Czech Republic, and the United States.

As a junevile, I once got a "experimentary kit" as christmas present, from which you could make your own pipes, including Meerschaum and bruyère.
0 Replies