WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:40 am
Well, Bob. I am delighted that your karaoke went well last evening. Those forays can be fun, but often debilitating. Glad you still have your voice in tact.

Thank you for that concise bio of the Wizard man. For some reason I had assumed that he was born and raised in Kansas. <smile> My nephew has every single Oz book that was ever written. Somewhere I saw, folks, that the lovely ballad, "Over the Rainbow", was almost cut from the movie version.

Speaking of fantasies, did I see that movie goers were paying $500.00 to see the premier of the latest Star Wars? Wow! The force is with someone out there, no?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:49 am
Funnnnneeeeeeee, Bob. I'm certain everyone appreciated that bit of humor to begin our Sunday. Sooooo, let's play a related song:

GERI HALLIWELL LYRICS

My Heart Belongs to Daddy
originally performed by Marilyn Monroe

While tearing off a game of golf
I may make a play for the caddy
But when I do, I don't follow through
Cause my heart belongs to Daddy

If I invite a boy some night
To dine on my fine food and haddie
I just adore, his asking for more
But my heart belongs to Daddy

Yes, my heart belongs to Daddy
So I simply couldn't be bad
Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, DAAAAD

So I want to warn you laddie
Though I know that you're perfectly swell
That my heart belongs to Daddy
Cause my Daddy, he treats it so well

While tearing off a game of golf
I may make a play for the caddy
But when I do, I don't follow through
Cause my heart belongs to Daddy

If I invite a boy some night
To cook up some hot enchilada
Though Spanish rice is all very nice
My heart belongs to Daddy

So I simply couldn't be bad
Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, DAAAAD

So I want to warn you laddie
Though I know that you're perfectly swell
That my heart belongs to Daddy
Cause my Daddy, he treats it so well
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:02 am
Well, folks. I just got an update from our celeb correspondent and it seems that she has been fighting with the electric light company, so she'll be here shortly. (breathes sigh of relief).

In the interim, here's that news update from France:

PARIS (AP) - Darth Vader has been spotted working the crowd in Paris, posing for photos on a red carpet behind a velvet rope line - to the glee of adoring European "Star Wars" fans.

The French aren't about to be outdone in the mania over the premiere of "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith." At least 3,000 fans of the famed sci-fi series flocked to a Paris movie theater Friday for the start of a three-day convention ahead of its release this week.

The convention is billed as the first of its kind in Europe and a first in a country often known for shunning Hollywood hype.

President Jacques Chirac has promoted the idea of France's "cultural exception" - a policy of state support for homegrown art, cinema and music to counter the influence of American pop culture.

"'Star Wars' is really different," said Romain Berteau, 23, a social housing manager outside Paris, wearing a Jedi robe. "In some ways, it's flattering to France to draw all these fans from around Europe."

Dozens of "Star Wars" buffs, many wearing storm trooper gear or wielding ersatz light sabers, kicked off the festivities Friday by parading along a Paris boulevard to the Grand Rex theater for a concert of series theme music performed by the Paris Cinematographic Orchestra.

The three-day pass cost $101 - a pittance for fans accustomed to paying thousands of dollars to reconstruct Darth Vader costumes or build up figurine collections. Some traveled from thousands of miles away.

Fans were treated to special effects demonstrations, mock light-saber fights, home movies based on a "Star Wars" theme, and question time with actors Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett).

"It's just the craziness of it all," said James Cork, 21, a decorator from Montreux, Switzerland, dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, as he showed a plastic light saber that he sculpted. "I had to come."

Others were looking for business.

Abel Lasserre, 30, and partner David Guivant, 29, made the trek from France's South Pacific archipelago of New Caledonia to distribute trailers for Star Wars spinoff films they have dreamed up.

Lasserre said he put more than 500 hours into assembling his authentic-looking Boba Fett costume out of plastic resin weighing more than 30 pounds.

While France is accustomed to its art-house films, Guivant said big-budget entertainment films like those in the Star Wars series have their place, too.

"It's rare to see films of this magnitude in France," he said nostalgically. "Sometimes it's nice just to be entertained - our French films sometimes lack a little razzle-dazzle."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:00 am
Good Day to All and thank you for missing me. I had some power and rain leakage problems, but the Raindrops Have stopped Falling on my Head and now that I'm Beginning to See the Light:

May 15 Birthdays (Yes Bob, we can't forget Mr. Baum's Birthday.)

1773 Klemens W. N. L. Metternich, diplomat/statesman (Austria; died 1859)
1856 L. Frank Baum, children's author (Chittenango, NY; died 1919)
1859 Pierre Curie, chemist known for work on radioactivity (France; died 1906)
1890 Katherine Anne Porter, novelist/short-story writer (Indian Creek, TX; died 1980) (Ship of Fools)
1905 Joseph Cotten, actor (Petersburg, VA; died 1994)
1910 Constance Cummings, actress (Seattle, WA)
1915 Paul A. Samuelson, economist (Gary, IN)
1918 Eddy Arnold Henderson TN, country singer (Cattle Call, Anytime)
1921 Erroll Garner Pittsburgh PA, jazz pianist (Misty) died 1977
1923 Richard Avedon, photographer (New York, NY)
1930 Jasper Johns, artist (Augusta, GA)
1936 Anna Maria Alberghetti Italy, actress/singer, sister of actress Pier Angeli; (Cinderfella)(B'way Carnival, adaptation of movie Lili )
1937 Trini Lopez Trinidad, singer/guitarist (If I Had a Hammer)
1937 Madeleine Albright, secretary of state (Prague, Czechoslovakia)
1942 Lainie Kazan, singer/actress (New York, NY)
1951 Chazz Palminteri, actor/playwright/screenwriter (Bronx, NY) (Bullets Over Broadway)
1953 Mike Oldfield England, composer (Tubular Bells)
1955 Lee Horsley, actor (Muleshoe, TX)
1969 Emmitt Smith, football player (Pensacola, FL)
1972 David Charvet, actor (Lyon, France)

http://www.gocontinental.com/photos2/arnold_eddie2a.jpghttp://www.gocontinental.com/photos2/lopez_trini3a.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/680/000043551/joseph-cotton.jpghttp://www.buy-calendars.com/Wizard-of-oz-photo-calendars.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:24 am
Raggedy, When the lights came on again all over your world, you found the time to give us an update on the celebs, most of which I am familiar with.

Listeners, did you know that Erroll Garner couldn't read one note of music?

Country classic:

Artist/Band: Rimes LeAnn
Lyrics for Song: Cattle Call (LeAnn Rimes & Eddy Arnold)
Lyrics for Album: Blue
LeAnn:
(yodeling)
The cattle are prowlin',
The coyotes are howlin'
Way out where the doggies roam
Where spurs are a jinglin'
And the cowboy is singing
His lonesome cattle call
(yodeling)

He rides in the sun
'Til his days work is done
And he rounds up the cattle each fall
(yodeling)
Singing his cattle call

Eddy:
For hours he would ride
On the range far and wide
When the night wind blows up and slow
His heart is a feather
In all kinds of weather
He sings his cattle call
(yodeling)

He's browned as a fairy
From ridin' the prairie
And he sings with a western drawl
Singing his cattle call

LeAnn and Eddy:
(yodeling)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:32 am
Letty, are you sure My Heart Belongs to Daddy wasn't originally done by Mary Martin, mother of Larry Hagman?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:38 am
Letty
Letty wrote:
Thank you for that concise bio of the Wizard man. For some reason I had assumed that he was born and raised in Kansas. <smile> My nephew has every single Oz book that was ever written. Somewhere I saw, folks, that the lovely ballad, "Over the Rainbow", was almost cut from the movie version.

Letty, I have a dear friend in California who collects first additions of Baum's Oz books. He and I spend many hours in Berkeley antiquarian book stores looking for his missing books from the series. They are very expensive to buy.

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:48 am
ah, edgar, blame it on the web. I thought so as well.

All right everyone, clap if you want to restore tinker bell to her glowing light and the Peter Pan syndrome will clear our sight.

Hmmm. BBB. Do you suppose that I can talk my nephew out of his collection? Don't think his are first editions, however.

Well, folks, this isn't exactly e-bay, but you may call in with antiquish things or comic books, or heirloom rings.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:22 am
This is for Reyn, listeners:

Having looked at Reyn's number seven image/collage/montage. I felt a bit eerie. It was quite unusual, with a man and woman, tight with fear, plunging down an alley drear.

Behind them stood the reaper grim,
A monster king with pointed chin.

And at the left, through warp ed door
A giant snake who evil bore.

Above its head, with naive smile,
The poster of a gentle child.

Back to the web, listeners, with a question for the day:
What is gossamer?
Don't peek, now.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:36 am
Well:
It was just one of those things
Just one of those crazy flings
One of those bells that now and then rings
Just one of those things

It was just one of those nights
Just one of those fabulous flights
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings
Just one of those things

If we'd thought a bit, of the end of it
When we started painting the town
We'd have been aware that our love affair
Was too hot, not to cool down

So goodbye, dear, and amen
Here's hoping we meet now and then
It was great fun
But it was just one of those things
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:45 am
Laughing I was thinking of that very song, Raggedy....but, it ain't a definition.

While our audience waits with anticipation for the answer:

(Carly Simon)

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And I tell you how easy it is to be with you
And how right your arms feel around me.
Bit I rehearsed those words just late last night
When I was thinking about how right tonight might be.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet, I don't know natures way
So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:10 pm
Extra!

Now available:

Faerie Queen Barbie -- Complete in green gossamer gown, glowing faerie wand, golden crown, and pointed ears.
Sprites and pixies included.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Well, let's see, listeners. What is Raggedy offered for her lovely Faerie Queen Barbie and peripherals? Have your credit card and/or your debit card ready. As I understand it, the entire complement will include a tiny little plaque with Whitman's "Noiseless patient Spider" poem decoupaged in glowing green.

(Whitman is a clue)

from hebba:

Thought for Today: ``Faults are thick where love is thin.''

Danish proverb.

05/14/05 20:00
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:40 pm
I knew that Letty. Very Happy But don't forget it's also a soft, gauzy fabric. I wonder if it can be bought at a yardgoods store?

A noiseless patient spider,
I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
It launche'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.
And you O my soul where you stand,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be form'd, till the ductle anchor hold,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:42 pm
Gossamer, I always thought it was what spiders weave into their webs. Spider-web stuff. Gossamer.

cf thistledown
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:45 pm
Yes that's right folks, I found it on the Web!

hahahahahahahahaha
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:55 pm
Ah, Raggedy, you are a tease, but a dear one. Don't you love that poem by Whitman, listeners?

McTag, you guessed right, but then like every good engineer, you verified it.

Speaking of building stuff.

Architecture finds 'comfort' in circles

By Arrol Gellner
Published: 5/13/05

Inman News

Positive space, negative space. They sound like some kind of flaky New Age terms. But actually, they're one of the oldest and most basic concepts in design. Nothing could be more deeply rooted in the human psyche â€" yet both amateurs and architects routinely ignore their implications.

Simply put, positive space represents space that we want, while negative space is what's left over. To draw a simple analogy, imagine cutting out cookies from dough. The cookies represent the positive space, and the pointy scraps left over are the negative space. In architecture as in baking, the idea is to maximize the number of cookies and minimize the leftover scraps.

As it happens, maximizing positive space is even more important in architecture than in baking, since you can't ball up the leftover scraps and roll more dough out of them. You've pretty much got to cut things out right the first time.

To stretch the analogy even further, it also happens that architectural forms that are roughly circular â€" like cookies â€" provide a much stronger sense of comforting enclosure than do those nasty angular scraps left over from cutting them out.

As basic as this principle seems, you'd be surprised how often architects violate it. Acute angles, with their jagged, knife-like shape, are inherently dramatic, and we architects are nothing if not suckers for drama.

But there's a price to pay for this kind of cheap effect. Acute angles inside buildings can't be comfortably inhabited by anything other than gnats and spiders, and it's not too much to say that they also have an unsettling effect on the human psyche. Deep in our primitive brains, converging angles still give us an uneasy sense of walls closing in, of entrapment â€" not exactly the ambience you want for your living room.

The Chinese design principles known as Feng Shui have long warned against acute angles â€" "secret daggers" â€" which are thought to generate malevolent forces. It's just another way of saying that sharp angles creep people out. For their part, Western psychologists might allude to the womb to explain why humans gravitate toward rounded spaces and shun angular ones. To be sure, more-or-less circular shapes are one of nature's favorite forms, appearing in practically every living thing from the cell on up.

Now, none of this implies that rooms should be literally round â€" a pretty impractical idea, what with all our relentlessly linear building materials. But it does suggest that rooms shouldn't contain wall or ceiling angles sharper than 90 degrees, and that they shouldn't be more than half again as long as they are wide. Nor should they have sharp angles intruding into them, or far-flung, dead corners with no through traffic. This applies to outdoor rooms as well, except that here, you can use landscaping to produce a pleasingly positive space for people to inhabit.

In short, the closer you come to approximating a circular shape â€" whether using architectural features, furniture arrangements, or planting â€" the more comfortable your rooms will be. Whether we call the result intimate, auspicious, secure, or just plain cozy â€" we all know positive space when we feel it.

As I always claimed, The Golden Spiral!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 01:55 pm
Houses in Motion
Talking Heads

For a long time I felt without style or grace
Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
I knew my heart was in the right place
I knew I'd be able to do these things.

And as we watch him digging his own grave
It is important to know that was where he's at
He can't afford to stop...That is what he believe
He'll keep on digging for a thousand years.

I'm walking a line-I'm thinking about empty motion
I'm walking a line-Just barely enough to be living
Get outa the way-No time to begin
This isn't the time-So nothing was done
Not talking about-Not many at all
I'm turning around-No trouble at all
You notice there's nothing around you, around you
I'm walking a line-Divide and dissolve.

Never get to say much, never get to talk
Tell us a little bit, but not too much
Right about then, is where she give up
She has closed her eyes, she has give up hope

I'm walking a line-I hate to be dreaming in motion
I'm keeping my fingers behind me, 'hind me

I turn myself around, I'm moving backwards and forwards
I'm moving twice as much as I was before
I'll keep on digging to the center of the Earth
I'll be down in there moving the in the room...

I'm walking a line-Visiting houses in motion
Two different houses surround you, 'round you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:20 pm
dj, that is the strangest song. "I'm walking the line divide and dissolve."

"two different houses surround you 'round you."

Provocative lyrics, listeners, no?

It seems to me, that The Talking Heads was the phrase used for anchormen. Am I right?

Thank you, Canada. Always something new with you, my friend.

It's late afternoon in Florida, and I wanted to share with you all the beauty and majesty of the mighty Atlantic.

Imagine a drive down the coastal highway and trying to keep your mind on the divide line. Open the window a bit, and smell that salt air. Wonderful, listeners. Suddenly you are taken back to the coquinas and the shark's eye and the tiny sand fleas. Pick up a conch and listen to the sound within. Examine the star fish. What a beautiful thought to sink in.

Maggie and Millie and Molly and May

Maggie and Mille and Molly and May
went down to the beach(to play one day)
And Maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

Millie befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

And Molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles; and

May came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
It's always ourselves we find in the sea.

e. e. cummings

I just got dreamy. <smile>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:26 pm
Well that's very nice, I like that. Thank you, Letty.
0 Replies