WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:02 am
aggie you're a wonder. (smooch) Thanks for the info and especially since it mentions Tammy Wynette.

A PAIR OF OLD SNEAKERS

Tammy wynette and george jones
(composed by g. sutton, l. kingston)
16 biggest hits tammy wynette and geoge jones
Transcriber: [email protected]

We're just a pair of old sneakers
Stringin' each other along
Sometimes I feel just like a heel
'cause I know in my soul, that it's wrong

Kickin' each other around
Eight times a week, we play 'hide an' cheat'
'til we've run that game in the ground

We know that cheatin' is wrong
And we've been in the closet too long

Worn out an' comin' unglued
Both wearin' rings, feelin' ashamed
Tryin' to run from the truth

And nothin' can tear us apart
Living the lie and lord knows we've tried
To stop walking on each other's heart

We know that cheatin' is wrong

0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:18 am
Right back at you, Bob. Very Happy
I notice that the B.D. listing failed to mention Tammy's passing away. (I hadn't realized that she was so young when she died.)

Country Legend Tammy Wynette Dies

by Daniel Frankel
Apr 6, 1998, 11:00 PM PT

First Lady of Country Music Tammy Wynette, whose signature hit, "Stand by Your Man," became an anthem for long-suffering lovers and a flashpoint for the 1992 presidential election, died in her sleep at her Nashville home Monday. She was 55.

Tammy Wynette, "Stand By Your Man"

The cause of death was a blood clot to the lungs, her longtime doctor said. Funeral services were set for Thursday.

Wynette's former husband, fellow country legend George Jones, said Tuesday he was glad he recently reunited (professionally) with his partner in high-living and entertaining.

"It was very important for us to close the chapter on everything we had been through," Jones said, in a statement. "...In the end we were very close friends. And now, I have lost that friend. I couldn't be sadder."

Jones and Wynette ruled as country music's First Couple from 1969 to 1975.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:30 am
Well, listeners, I have one eye open now and looking at Raggedy's celebs. Thank you, dear one, for continuing to remind us of those who have gone before, and those who are still with us seeking fortune with face.

Bob, I knew the meaning and part of speech of dogie, just wondered why the cowpokes chose to call them that. Perhaps it had to do with the the four-leggedness. Heh! Heh!

As for Tammy, she influenced many quotes with her "Stand by Your Man", and then proceeded to influence the broken hearted with "D-I-V-O-R-C-E. "

Thought for Today: ``When in doubt, duck.'' - Malcolm Forbes, American publisher (1919-1990).

05/04/05 20:00

Simplistic and powerful, Mr. Forbes.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:55 am
do·gie also do·gy Listen: [ dg ]
n. Western U.S. pl. do·gies

A stray or motherless calf.

[ Origin unknown.]

Regional Note: In the language of the American West, a motherless calf is known as a dogie. In Western Words Ramon F. Adams gives one possible etymology for dogie, whose origin is unknown. During the 1880s, when a series of harsh winters left large numbers of orphaned calves, the little calves, weaned too early, were unable to digest coarse range grass, and their swollen bellies "very much resembled a batch of sourdough carried in a sack." Such a calf was referred to as dough-guts. The term, altered to dogie according to Adams, "has been used ever since throughout cattleland to refer to a pot-gutted orphan calf." Another possibility is that dogie is an alteration of Spanish dogal, "lariat." Still another is that it is simply a variant pronunciation of doggie.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/d/d0323100.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:13 am
Thank you, Bob and Raggedy, for the further updates.

The fact that WA2K radio is not just music, but many things, listeners, is the sole purpose of this broadcast.

English has borrowed from so many languages, that often we forget that America is a young country with roots that spread globally.

This may have been done before, but for some odd reason, I find it is a comfort: (no, not Southern Comfort. Razz )

John Milton
On His Blindness
WHEN I consider how my light is spent
E're half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide,
Lodg'd with me useless, though my Soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
Doth God exact day-labour, light deny'd,
I fondly ask; But patience to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts, who best
Bear his milde yoak, they serve him best, his State
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o're Land and Ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and waite.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:22 am
and to accompany Milton a song of afterglow:

Afterglow
Listen to my voice now
Let it wrap around you warm
Let it feed the fire
Let it cover all your form

Like chocolate soft as honey
Warm cinnamon and wine
The afterglow of loving
When everything is fine

Drifting in the sunshine
Sailing on a breeze
Summer lies before you
Just doing what you please

Curl into my arms love
Let go and let it be
Melt into the quiet
Come rest here close with me

Look out of your window
Watch the clouds roll by
That isn't rain that's coming
It's loving-kindness from the sky

Let go of your worries
Let them all go free
Listen to my voice now
This is all you need

Like chocolate soft as honey
Warm cinnamon and wine
The afterglow of loving
When everything is fine

I am not able to give credit to the composer of this enchanting song, listeners, but it is lovely, no?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:35 am
Gold? Somebody mention gold?

"There's plenty of gold, so I've been told
On the banks of the Sacramento
"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:19 am
Fool's gold, McTag. Incidentally, what is the scientific name for that pyrite?

Speaking of which listeners. Don't be fooled if you receive this:

If You Get This E-Mail, Delete It ASAP
Beware a very clever e-mail message that tries to entice you to download a destructive worm. This new variant on the old Sober worm is spreading fast and uses an e-mail subject heading that just begs you to click on it, offering you free tickets to the 2006 World Cup in Germany, report ZDNet and CNET. Either that or it comes with the subject line "Your Password" with the body of the text reading: Account and Password Information are attached! There's even a note saying that there was no virus found in the attached file. Don't believe it!

As if we would, folks.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:32 am
Dictionary - Thesaurus - Web

Top Web Results for "iron pyrite"
1 entry found for iron pyrite.

iron pyrite

n : a common mineral (iron disulfide) that has a pale yellow color [syn: pyrite, fool's gold]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:38 am
and someone called in this dedication for Bob of Boston:

Writer(s): R. Whiting/J. Mercer

You're just to marvelous
Too marvelous for words
Like glorious, glamorous
And that old standby amorous

It's all too wonderful
I'll never find the phrase
That says enough, tells enough
I mean just aren't swell enough

You're much too much, and just too very very
To ever be, to ever be in Princeton's dictionary
And so I'm borrowing a love song from the birds
To tell you that you're marvelous
Too marvelous for words.

Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:05 am
Well, listeners. I have some unpleasant tasks to perform, but I will leave you with this interesting observation that I found via some stolen gold:

It's a proven fact: most people who say 'I love you' don't mean it. Doctors have proved that. So love generates a lot of songs. Probably more than a lot. Now it's not my intention to have love influence my songs. Any more than it influenced Chuck Berry's songs or Woody Guthrie's or Hank Williams'. Hank Williams, they're not love songs. You're degrading them calling them love songs. Those are songs from the Tree of Life. There's no love on the Tree of Life. Love is on the Tree of Knowledge, the Tree of Good and Evil. So we have a lot of songs in popular music about love. Who needs them? Not you, not me."
Bob Dylan, 1991

Now exactly how did Doctors prove that, I wonder. Rolling Eyes

It is raining--raining--raining here in my corner of Florida. I hate to get out in this stuff, but I must. back later, folks.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:50 am
Very true, Letty. But we all love you, you know that.

But others beware:

Be sure it's true when you say
"I love you"
It's a sin to tell a lie
Millions of hearts have been broken
Just because these words were spoken

I love you
Yes I do
I love you
If you break my heart I'll die
So be sure that it's true when you say
"I love you"
It'a sin to tell a lie
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:43 pm
Thanks, Brit.

It's always important to be true, is it not?

Well, I finally got some info from our GP. That's a brief reprieve. It's a real gully washer and frog strangler here, and I simply despise driving in the wet stuff.

And, listeners, shall we continue with the "false witness" songs:

The moon was all aglow and heaven was in your eyes
The night that you told me those little white lies.
The stars all seemed to know that you didn't mean all those
sighs
The night that you told me those little white lies.
I try but there's no forgetting when evening appears,
I sigh but there's no regretting in spite of my tears.
The devil was in your heart but heaven was in your eyes
The night you told me those little white lies.

There's a different structure, folks. A three line verse--a two line bridge--and a closing three line verse.

Quote from my mom.

Lawd, dahlin'; it all depends on how the weather is.

She always got the blues when it rained.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:15 pm
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?
Travis

I can't sleep tonight
Everybody saying everything's alright
Still I can't close my eyes
I'm seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights
Sunny days
Where have you gone?
I get the strangest feeling you belong
Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen?
Even when the sun is shining
I can't avoid the lightning
I can't stand myself
I'm being held up by invisible men
Still life on a shelf when
I got my mind on something else
Sunny days
Where have you gone?
Oh, where did the blue skies go?
And why is it raining so?
It's so cold
I can't sleep tonight
Everybody saying everything's alright
Still I can't close my eyes
I'm seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights
Sunny days
Where have you gone?
Oh, where did the blue skies go?
And why is it raining so?
It's so cold
Why does it always rain...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:31 pm
ah, dj. You must have done a non rain dance. The sun just came out and behold, the moorhens are drinking water from a shallow pond created by the rainstorm.

You always achieve what you set out to do, dj. Those lines are, indeed, poetic.

I've been spending some time looking at an objective test of creativity, folks. I scored a sixty, and I know exactly why. I guess that's called insight. Decision making really ruined my score, and I know why that is.

Wonderful question for the day, listeners. Do you have insight? I don't think we need a definition for that term because to do so might inhibit an honest answer.

Meanwhile, Francis in Paris is telling a story about London. I think even Setanta was surprised at his little humorous observation about the palace guards. I think they are called Beef Eaters.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:22 pm
The palace guards are officers of the Household Cavalry. (as shown on Francis' pics)

Beefeaters are the "Yeomen of the Guard" storied by Gilbert and Sullivan. These walk, have no horses. They look somewhat different, red and yellow embroidered tunics, and are to be seen at the Tower of London. The others hang out at Horseguards Parade.

Just in case you wanted to know. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:31 pm
I did want to know, McTag. Often, listeners, I guess at things and they come out right, but if I get close enough I consider myself still viable in the RNA domain.

I loved the picture of you, McTag, on Francis's tour, and I do believe that was our dys on the balcony of the Sleeping Beauty's castle. Disney's Sleeping Beauty is not nearly so elegant. <smile>

Well, Happy Hour, listeners. Back later on the Blair project in England. Smile
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:41 pm
Warning! Warning! These are Bob type jokes. Hazardous contents.

A certain man was infatuated with a young woman, but was so timid he
never had the courage to speak to her. In fact, he even told his
therapist that every time he got near her he felt like he was
unimportant. He said that he felt as insignificant as a tiny pebble.

"Well," his therapist responded,

"If you want to get the girl you'll just have to be a little boulder!"

-----------------------

A New Hampshire carpenter was called upon to put up a bulletin board in
a church vestry. Since the walls were marble, he tried to glue the frame
on the wall rather than nailing it, but ran into problems until he tried
making the frame out of burr oak. That adhered quite successfully,
leading him to admonish his young assistant,

"If it ain't burr oak, don't affix it."

------------------------

An 8-year-old girl went to her dad, who was working in the yard. She
asked him,

"Daddy, what is sex?"

The father was surprised that she would ask such a question, but decided
that if she was old enough to ask the question, then she was old enough
to get a straight answer. He proceeded to tell her all about the 'birds
and the bees'. When he finished explaining, the little girl was looking
at him with her mouth hanging open. The father asked her,

"Why did you ask this question?"

The little girl replied,

"Mom told me to tell you that dinner would be ready in just a couple of
secs."

Don't say I didn't warn you. yuk yuk yuk
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:19 pm
Well, Bob. Consider our audience warned. That got a chuckle out of me and I'm certain that it did all our listeners. Roger loves those groaners.

Before we discuss Tony Blair, I must tell you about another contiguous situation (Sorry Pavlov)

Disneyland is celebrating its 50th anniversary, and what should appear? well, folks, the Sleeping Beauty castle.

I was trying to find a funny song about California and the San Andreas fault; no luck, but it goes something like:

Every day, more people come to LA,
Oops don't tell anybody the whole town's slippin' away.

Where shall we go when there's no San Francisco,
Gotta get ready to (something) the Gulf of Mexico.

Did I mention that Google sucks, listeners.

Tony and Cherie are much more provocative at this point. Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:07 pm
News from London:

LONDON (AFP) - Prime Minister Tony Blair looked to have made history by becoming the first Labour Party leader to win three straight terms in office. Yet this latest victory could herald his imminent exit.

Despite entering the pantheon of British political giants with a predicted third term, estimates in an exit poll that the Labour majority in parliament has been sharpy reduced could spell trouble for a premier already badly hit by the Iraq war.

Blair, who turns 52 on Friday, has led Labour to a majority of 66, down from the 167 seen in the last general election in 2001, the BBC exit poll said.

Pundits have predicted that Blair, who has already pledged to step down at the end of a third term in office, could hand over power much sooner to his ambitious Chancellor of the Exchequer, Gordon Brown, if the fallout over Iraq looks to have fatally undermined his popularity.

The man once known as "Teflon Tony" because criticism rarely stuck to him endured a torrid election campaign over allegations he misled the country about his reasons for joining the US-led war in Iraq in March 2003.

Repeated opinion polls during the campaign showed considerable hostility towards Blair, even among professed Labour supporters, largely due to the Iraq war, which millions of Britons opposed.

Brown has never made a secret of his desire to take the top job, and if the premier begins to resemble a lame duck incumbent, Brown's supporters in the Labour Party could act to remove Blair.

Whatever happens, Labour's fortunes in recent years owe massive amounts to Blair.

It was his political master stroke that rescued the party from oblivion a decade ago, and put the formerly all-powerful Conservatives on the ropes.

The key was reforming the ideologically leftist Labour Party with a fresh pragmatic brand of centrist economic and social policies that captured the ground from the Conservatives.

Since the party's first landslide victory in 1997, followed by another in 2001, the Blair government has set about changing the political landscape of Britain.

Under constitutional reforms, Scotland and Wales have voted for devolution and set up their own political bodies.

London now directly elects its mayor, and all but 92 hereditary peers have been removed from the House of Lords in the first stage of its reform, while the Bank of England has the power to set interest rates on its own.

In foreign policy, Blair has engaged Britain's military forces in five conflicts, including Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as brokered a peace agreement in Northern Ireland and launched a major development plan for Africa.

Though part of Britain's educated elite, following private school with a law degree at Oxford University, Blair is a different breed of politician.

Blair, who at the age of 30 won the seat of Sedgefield, northeast England, in the 1983 election, rose quickly through the ranks to become party leader in 1994, with his party still in opposition.

So, in 1997 when he was only 43, Blair became not only the youngest prime minister since Lord Liverpool in 1812, but also set himself apart by never having served as a cabinet minister, or even as a junior minister.

Nor has he always been beholden to cabinet members.

Much like a US president, Blair is known to prefer working with his advisors -- he has a record 20 of them -- to formulate policies while reaching out to voters directly with his great powers of persuasion.

The times they are achanging, listeners
0 Replies