WA2K Radio is now on the air

firefly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:40 am
This singer was in Roots as well

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BOMjfVO3IEY&feature=related
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:57 am
firefly, I didn't pick up on The Scat Man in Roots, but I most certainly recall him in The Shining. "this boy's got the shine."

Well, folks, we know that LeVar Burton was in one of the Roots episodes. It was either the movie or the mini-series. Can't recall, but here is a tribute to the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEi-iHebfs&feature=related
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:12 am
Today is also the birthday of TV personality and singer, Mike Douglas. All of the big stars appeared on his popular show, and Mike entertained us with his own lovely voice as well. Here he sings the fitting, "The Way We Were".

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RvYnmcgPtFI
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:39 am
Watching the clips of the old Mike Douglas show really was a sentimental journey.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGFQnQbYU8
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 11:33 am
firefly, I simply cannot recall having watched Mike Douglas. WOW! He was great, and all the celebs that came on his show were numerous.

Great song, gal, to go with the remembrance, but before we get too sentimental, it's Hulk Hogan's birthday as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfckZXZOWK0
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:23 pm
Well, folks, it looks as though Hulk frightened everyone away. It's safe now, so you can come on back in our little cyber studio.

I have spent the better part of the day talking to my daughter and searching for Schumann variations on Traumerei. So, it's time for me to say goodnight, and I think I have found a surprising version by Neil Sedaka. Then, I found a second version of that lovely song by a duet on violin and piano. They called him "Alexander" on the second version, but I don't think he will mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgdqecut4g

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=aTJLHnQ2hZ0

Goodnight, all

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:23 pm
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wOW0sIVxaxQ
Good night, letty and radio people. Here is Frank and Pearl for a closer.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm
Thought I'd say goodnight with a salute to the Olympians. Another fine composition from John Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGixEmzsQx4

Peace to all.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:06 pm
G'nite WA2K. from a mornin' grump...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BnCEPr7cU

RH
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 05:23 am
Good morning, WA2K radio audience.

edgar, can't beat that combo. Frank and Pearl are still legends. Thanks, Texas.

firefly, John Williams says it right. They are the champions, but every time I think of him all I can see is JAWS. Razz Thanks, fly of fire.

Well, my goodness, R.H. That was a marvelous trio of tremendous performers.(ok, Letty-stop with the alliteration) Loved it, however.Can't top Elvis, Diana, and Willie. All three are champions in their own right. No need to be a grump. When we wake up alive, that's a good thing.

Today is Buck Owens birthday, so let's hear a great one by him, ok?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_cfF0Mz6U
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 05:36 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_zCf9xilg&feature=related
One Buck Owens song is rarely enough for me. Together Again is one of my faves.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 06:21 am
Today is also the birthday of Thomas August Darnell Browder (aka August Darnell, aka Kid Creole). Darnell took the name King Creole from the Elvis Presley film, King Creole, in 1980 and formed The Coconuts. I confess to never having heard of him, but perhaps he is familiar to some of the WA2K listeners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9UKB-pao8&feature=related
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:18 am
Katharine Lee Bates
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born 12 August 1859(1859-08-12)
Falmouth, Massachusetts, United States
Died 28 March 1929 (aged 69)
Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States
Occupation Author, Poet, Educator
Nationality American
Genres Poetry
Notable work(s) "America the Beautiful"

Katharine Lee Bates, (August 12, 1859 - March 28, 1929), is remembered as the author of the words to the anthem "America the Beautiful".

Bates was born in Falmouth, Massachusetts and lived as an adult on Centre Street in Newton, Massachusetts. An historic plaque marks the site of her home. The daughter of a Congregational pastor, she graduated from Wellesley College in 1880 and for many years was a professor of English literature at Wellesley. While teaching there, she was elected a member of the newly formed Pi Gamma Mu honor society for the social sciences because of her interest in history and politics for which she also studied. She lived at Wellesley with Katharine Coman, who herself was a history and political economy teacher and founder of the Wellesley College Economics department. The pair lived together for twenty-five years until Coman's death in 1915. It is debated if this relationship was an intimate lesbian relationship as different sources maintain [1][2][3] or a platonic relationship called sometimes "Boston marriages" as the local historical society of her birthplace maintain.

In the years following Coman's death, Bates wrote Yellow Clover: A Book of Remembrance, to Katharine Coman[2]. Almost all the poems there contained refer to the relationship between Bates and Coleman. One lesbian culture website sees in the text of some of the poems (for example If You Could Come and Yellow Clover[3]) a confirmation that the relationship between the two women was actually a lesbian relationship.

The first draft of "America the Beautiful" was hastily jotted in a notebook during the summer of 1893, which Bates spent teaching English at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Later she remembered

"One day some of the other teachers and I decided to go on a trip to 14,000-foot Pikes Peak. We hired a prairie wagon. Near the top we had to leave the wagon and go the rest of the way on mules. I was very tired. But when I saw the view, I felt great joy. All the wonder of America seemed displayed there, with the sea-like expanse."
The words to her one famous poem first appeared in print in The Congregationalist, a weekly journal, for Independence Day, 1895. The poem reached a wider audience when her revised version was printed in the Boston Evening Transcript, November 19, 1904. Her final expanded version was written in 1913.

The hymn has been sung to other music, but the familiar tune that Ray Charles (1930-2004) delivered is by Samuel A. Ward (1847-1903), written for his hymn "Materna" (1882).

Bates was a prolific author of many volumes of poetry, travel books, and children's books. Her family home on Falmouth's Main Street is preserved by the Falmouth Historical Society. There is also a street named in her honor, "Katharine Lee Bates Road" in Falmouth.

Bates has two schools named in her honor, the Katharine Lee Bates Elementary School, located on Elmwood Road in Wellesley, Massachusetts and the Katharine Lee Bates Elementary School[4], located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The latter was founded in 1957.

Bates is credited with creating Mrs. Claus in the poem Goody Santa Claus on a Sleigh Ride from the collection Sunshine and other Verses for Children (1889).

Katharine Lee Bates died in Wellesley, Massachusetts, on March 28, 1929, aged 69. She was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:38 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:41 am
John Derek

August 12, 1926
Hollywood, California, USA
Died May 22, 1998 (aged 71)
Santa Monica, California, USA
Occupation actor, director, cinematographer, screenwriter, editor, producer
Years active 1943 - 1990
Spouse(s) Pati Behrs (1951-1957)
Ursula Andress (1957-1966)
Linda Evans (1968-1974)
Bo Derek (1976-1998)
Awards won
Golden Raspberry Awards
Worst Director
1985 Bolero
1991 Ghosts Can't Do It
Worst Screenplay
1985 Bolero

John Derek (August 12, 1926 - May 22, 1998) was an American actor, director and photographer most famous for the women to whom he was married.

Born Derek Delevan Harris in Hollywood, California, he was first married to actress Pati Behrs (1922-2004), grand-niece of Leo Tolstoy and mother of his two children, Russell & Sean.

His matinee-idol good looks quickly got him supporting roles, most notably as Broderick Crawford's son in All the King's Men (1949), but he also enjoyed leads such as "Nick Romano" in Knock on Any Door (1949) opposite Humphrey Bogart (who told him, "You look great, but kid, that's not enough"), "Brock Mitchell" in Fury at Showdown, and as Robin Hood in Rogues of Sherwood Forest (1950) with Alan Hale.

Perhaps Derek's most memorable film appearance was in a supporting role in the 1956 epic film, as the noble Joshua in The Ten Commandments.

Derek had a minor role as a film director. He directed his fourth wife, Bo Derek, in four movies. The 1990 film Ghosts Can't Do It was his last attempt in the director's chair. He also directed two hit music videos for Shania Twain, "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" and "Any Man of Mine".

His last three wives seemed to be nearly identical in appearance, especially Linda Evans and Bo Derek. Derek took photos of all three, at different times, for Playboy magazine. He died from cardiovascular disease in Santa Maria, California at the age of 71.

Derek was married to:

Pati Behrs (1951-1957)
Ursula Andress (1957-1966)
Linda Evans (1968-1974)
Bo Derek (1976-1998)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:46 am
Porter Wagoner

Background information

Birth name Porter Wayne Wagoner
Also known as Mr. Grand Ole Opry
Born August 12, 1927(1927-08-12)
West Plains, Missouri, USA
Died October 28, 2007 (aged 80)
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Genre(s) Country Music
Occupation(s) Country music artist
Instrument(s) Acoustic Guitar
Years active 1951 - 2007
Label(s) RCA Victor
(1956 - 1980)
Shell Point Records
(2000 - 2002)
TeeVee Records
(2003 - 2006)
Anti
(2007)
Website www.porterwagoner.com
Members
Country Music Hall of Fame
The Grand Ole Opry
Notable instrument(s)
Acoustic Guitar

Porter Wayne Wagoner (August 12, 1927 - October 28, 2007) was an American country music singer. Famous for his flashy Nudie suits and blond pompadour, Wagoner introduced a young Dolly Parton to his long-running television show. Together, "Porter and Dolly" were a well-known duet team throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s. Parton wrote the song "I Will Always Love You" after Wagoner suggested she shift from story songs to focus on love songs. [1]

His first band, The Blue Ridge Boys, performed on radio station KWPM from a butcher shop in his native West Plains, Missouri where Wagoner cut meat. Wagoner's big break came in 1951, when he was hired as a performer by station KWTO in Springfield, Missouri. This led to a contract with RCA Records. With lagging sales, Wagoner and his trio played schoolhouses for the gate proceeds.

In 1953, his song entitled "Trademark" became a hit for Carl Smith, followed by a few hits of his own on RCA. He was a featured performer on ABC's Ozark Jubilee and moved to Nashville, joining the Grand Ole Opry in 1957.

Chart success

His 81 charted records include "Satisfied Mind" (#1, 1955), "Misery Loves Company" (#1, 1962), "I've Enjoyed As Much of This As I Can Stand" (#7, 1962-1963), "Sorrow on the Rocks" (#5, 1964), "Green Green Grass of Home" (#4, 1965), "Skid Row Joe" (#3, 1965-1966), "The Cold Hard Facts of Life" (#2, 1967), and "The Carroll County Accident" (#2, 1968-1969). Among his hit duets with Dolly Parton were a cover of Tom Paxton's "The Last Thing on My Mind" (1967), "We'll Get Ahead Someday" (1968), "Just Someone I Used To Know" (1969), "Better Move it on Home" (1971), "The Right Combination" (1972), "Please Don't Stop Loving Me" (#1, 1974) and "Making Plans" (#2, 1980). He also won three Grammy Awards for gospel recordings.

Television show

The Porter Wagoner Show ran on syndicated television from 1960 to 1981. There were 686 thirty-minute episodes filmed, the first 104 being shot in black and white, the remainder in color. At its peak, it was featured in over 100 markets, with an average viewership of over three million.[citation needed] Reruns of the program currently air on the rural cable network RFD-TV. Wagoner's stage alter ego was Skid Row Joe.

The regular cast included:

Singer Norma Jean (Beasler) 1960-1967
Singer Dolly Parton 1967-1974
Singer Mel Tillis
Comedian/Stand-up bass Speck Rhodes
Announcer Don Howser
The house band, The Wagonmasters
Buck Trent on banjo and guitar
George McCormick on rhythm guitar
Don Warden on steel guitar
"Little" Jack Little on drums
Mack Magaha on fiddle
Michael Treadwell on bass
After 1974:

Fred Newell on guitar/mandolin
Dave Kirby on guitar
Stu Basor on steel guitar/dobro
Bobby Dyson on bass
Jerry Carey on drums
Mack Magaha on fiddle
Linda Carol Moore vocals

The shows usually featured opening performances by Wagoner, with additional performances by Parton or Norma Jean and comedic interludes by Rhodes. During Parton's tenure, she and Wagoner usually sang a duet at some point each week (Wagoner had not previously duetted with Norma Jean).[citation needed] Each episode also featured a guest performer, who would usually perform one or two songs. A spiritual or gospel performance was almost always featured toward the end of the show, and was generally performed by either Wagoner or Parton, or the show's guest star, or occasionally the entire cast.

The shows had a friendly, informal feel, with Wagoner trading jokes with band members (frequently during songs) and exchanging banter with Parton and Howser. During their duets, Parton and Wagoner both frequently changed lyrics on one another, in an attempt to throw the other off course.[citation needed]

Later career

Wagoner brought James Brown to the Grand Ole Opry, produced a rhythm & blues album for Joe Simon, and appeared in the Clint Eastwood film Honkytonk Man.[1] During the mid 1980s, Wagoner formed an all girl group called The Right Combination, which was named after one of Porter and Dolly Parton's hit records. He also hosted "Opry Backstage" during the 1990s on The Nashville Network where he interviewed guests. Though Parton's departure caused some animosity on both sides, the two reconciled in the late 1980s and have appeared together a number of times in the years since; Parton inducted Wagoner into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2002.

Wagoner made a guest appearance on the HBO comedy series Da Ali G Show, being interviewed by the fictional character Borat, in its second season.[citation needed]

On July 14, 2006, Wagoner was hospitalized and underwent surgery for an abdominal aneurysm.[citation needed]

Wagoner was honored on May 19, 2007 at the Grand Ole Opry for both his fifty years of membership and his 80th birthday. This was telecast on GAC's Grand Ole Opry Live that day with artists such as Stuart, Parton, and Patty Loveless. Grand Ole Opry Live host Nan Kelley was part of the birthday celebration as well.

On June 5, 2007, Wagoner released his final album called Wagonmaster. The album was produced by Marty Stuart for the Anti-label. This album received the best reviews ever in Porter's career and briefly charted on the country charts.

Wagoner also toured during the summer of 2007 to promote the album. One of these was opening for the rock group The White Stripes at a sold-out concert at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Last illness and death

Wagoner's publicist Darlene Bieber announced on October 19, 2007 that the singer had been hospitalized and was in very serious condition. WSMV-TV reported that Wagoner was admitted earlier that week for observation from an illness. Bieber gave no further information but said that the country star was asking for prayers from his family and fans.

On October 21, 2007, his publicist confirmed that Wagoner had been diagnosed with lung cancer.[2]

On October 26, 2007, Porter was released into hospice care.[3] He died two days later in Nashville, Tennessee.[4] Wagoner's funeral was held on November 1, 2007 at the Grand Ole Opry House followed by interment at the Woodlawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Nashville.

Up until his illness and death, he appeared regularly on the Grand Ole Opry and toured actively.

Porter Wagoner Boulevard

In his native West Plains, Missouri, Porter Wagoner Boulevard is named in his honor. Originally built as a bypass around West Plains, numerous businesses sprang up on it in the 1970s, making it the major north-south thoroughfare in West Plains. The northern terminus is at the intersection with Missouri Route 14. Porter Wagoner Boulevard is labeled as Business Route US 63 from this interchange until it reaches Broadway Street, where Business Route US 63 turns east to follow Broadway. Porter Wagoner Boulevard then continues for only three more blocks to its southern terminus at Main Street.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:50 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:54 am
Casey Affleck

Born Caleb Casey Affleck-Boldt
August 12, 1975 (1975-08-12) (age 33)
Falmouth, Massachusetts, United States
Spouse(s) Summer Phoenix (2006 - present)
Official website
Awards won
Other Awards
NBR Award for Best Supporting Actor
2007 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Casey Affleck (born August 12, 1975) is an Academy Award-, SAG Award- and Golden Globe-nominated American actor and the younger brother of actor-director-writer Ben Affleck. He is perhaps best known for his roles in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Gone Baby Gone, Ocean's Eleven (and its sequels, Ocean's Twelve and Ocean's Thirteen), and Good Will Hunting.

Biography

Early life

Affleck was born Caleb Casey Affleck-Boldt in Falmouth, Massachusetts, the son of Chris Ann (née Boldt), a school district employee and teacher, and Timothy Affleck, a drug counselor, social worker, janitor, auto mechanic, bartender, and former actor with the Theater Company of Boston.[1] As a child he had numerous pets, including cats, snakes, guinea pigs and turtles.[2] Affleck went to George Washington University, later transferring to Columbia University in New York City, where he majored in physics, astronomy, and Western philosophy.[3]

Career

Affleck's first movie role was as a sociopathic teenager in Gus Van Sant's 1995 dark comedy To Die For, alongside Joaquin Phoenix and Nicole Kidman.[4] After starring the following year in the box office flop Race the Sun (co-starring Halle Berry), he appeared in two films featuring older brother Ben Affleck: Chasing Amy and Good Will Hunting. The latter was a major hit and jump-started the careers of Matt Damon and the Affleck brothers. Ben Affleck and Damon went on to win the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Affleck then starred in the underground movie Desert Blue, a film which met with limited success, but also featured rising star Kate Hudson.[5] He took time off from acting before playing another role.

He next starred in the black comedy Drowning Mona with Bette Midler, Jamie Lee Curtis, Neve Campbell, and Danny DeVito. The movie performed poorly at the box office and with critics. He then starred in the 2001 horror movie Soul Survivors, co-starring Luke Wilson, Wes Bentley, and Eliza Dushku. Affleck later admitted in an interview to Nylon Magazine that he was ashamed to have been involved with both films.[citation needed] Affleck followed them up with a re-make of the Rat Pack movie Ocean's Eleven, directed by Steven Soderbergh. The 2001 release had a star-studded cast, including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Andy Garcia, and Julia Roberts. Affleck played Virgil Malloy, one of the pair of brothers hired to drive the getaway vehicle. Affleck would return to this character in Ocean's Twelve in 2004, and Ocean's Thirteen, released in June 2007. In the latter film, several scenes take place in Mexico, where Affleck lived as a child, and in which he has extended dialogue in Spanish, in which he is fluent.[6]

After establishing his movie career, Affleck turned to screenwriting, teaming up with Matt Damon to write the 2002 film Gerry about two friends who get lost while hiking in the desert, directed by Van Sant. Affleck also starred in the film The Last Kiss as a friend of Zach Braff's character and made a cameo in the Joaquin Phoenix-directed video "Tired of Being Sorry" for Balthazar Getty's band Ringside.

In 2007, he starred in the Western The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, playing Robert Ford to Brad Pitt's Jesse James. For this role he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture at the 65th Golden Globe Awards and an Oscar nomination for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role at the 80th Academy Awards. He also starred in the critically acclaimed Gone Baby Gone in which he appeared as the main protagonist, Patrick Kenzie. The movie was directed by his brother, Ben Affleck.

In April 2008, director Ridley Scott had announced his new project The Kind One, a period noir drama set for release in 2010. Affleck has been cast in the lead role.[7]

Personal life

Affleck married Summer Phoenix, his girlfriend of six years, on June 3, 2006[8]. The couple were introduced by her brother. The couple have two sons, Indiana August, who was born on May 31, 2004 in Amsterdam[9] and Atticus [10], who was born January 12, 2008.[11]

Affleck is involved with many animal rights movements and campaigns for PETA and Farm Sanctuary.[12] He is a vegan.[13]

Affleck speaks fluent Spanish and resides in Los Angeles, California with his family.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
Is It Better To Be A Jock Or A Nerd?

The answer to the eternal question "Is it better to be a jock or a nerd"?

Michael Jordan made over $300,000 a game. That equals $10,000 a minute, at an average of 30 minutes per game.

With $40 million in endorsements, he made $178,100 a day, working or not.

If he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while visions of sugarplums dance in his head.

If he goes to see a movie, it'll cost him $9.50, but he'll make $18,550 while he's there.

If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling it.

He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage.

He'd make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.

If he wanted to save up for a new Acura SLX (about $90,000) it would take him a whole 12 hours.

If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.

He'd probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be reimbursed around $30,000 during that round.

Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into a tax deferred account (401k), he will hit the federal cap of $9500 at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st.

If you were given a penny for every 10 dollars he made, you'd be living comfortably at $65,000 a year.

He'd make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the Olympics.

He'd make about $15,600 during the Boston Marathon.

While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy Chicago restaurant, he'd pull in about $5600.

In his last year, he made more than twice as much as all U.S. past presidents for all of their terms combined.

... However...

... If Jordan saves 100% of his income for the next 250 years, he'll still have less than Bill Gates has today.

Game over. Nerd wins
0 Replies