bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 07:58 am
John Rhys-Davies
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born May 5, 1944 (1944-05-05) (age 64)
Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
Occupation actor, voice artist
Years active 1964 - present

John Rhys-Davies (born May 5, 1944) is an English-born Welsh actor and voice artist. He is perhaps best known for his portrayals as the charismatic Arab excavator Sallah in the Indiana Jones films and the dwarf Gimli in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, in which he also voiced Ent Treebeard. He also portrayed Professor Maximillian Arturo in Sliders, General Leonid Pushkin in the James Bond film The Living Daylights and provided of voices of Cassim in Disney's Aladdin and the King of Thieves, Man Ray in Spongebob Squarepants, and Tobias in the computer game Freelancer.

Early life

Rhys-Davies was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, the son of Welsh parents Mary Margaretta Phyllis Jones, a nurse, and Rhys Davies, a mechanical engineer[1][2] and colonial officer.[3] He spent much of his childhood in his mother's home town of Ammanford, Wales although he was also raised in Africa. He was sent to Truro School in Cornwall. He later studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and the University of East Anglia.[4]

Career

Early career

Although appearing sporadically on UK television in the early 1970s (for instance, as gangster Laughing Spam Fritter opposite Adam Faith in Budgie), Rhys-Davies first gained widespread popularity for his performance as Praetorian officer Naevius Sutorius Macro in I, Claudius. He then began to appear more frequently, and not just in the UK, with roles as a Portuguese captain Rodrigues in the 1980 television miniseries Shogun, and in the Indiana Jones movies. He has since appeared in numerous television shows and miniseries, including a leading role in the television series Sliders as Professor Maximillian Arturo from 1995 to 1997. He also made several appearances on Star Trek: Voyager as a holodeck version of Leonardo da Vinci. He also starred as an ally of James Bond in The Living Daylights and appeared in the movie One Night with the King.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

He is also known for his popular portrayal of the dwarf Gimli in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. The filmography of that was complicated by the fact that Rhys-Davies is of above-average height (6'1"),[5] whereas his character was supposed to be very short. Rhys-Davies is the only cast member who played a member of the Fellowship but did not receive a tattoo of the word "nine" written in the Tengwar script. The other members of the cast (Sean Astin, Sean Bean, Billy Boyd, Ian McKellen, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, and Elijah Wood) got the same tattoo. Rhys-Davies' stunt double got the tattoo instead.

Voice work

In addition to voicing the Ent Treebeard in Lord of the Rings, Rhys-Davies has also lent his distinctive deep, Welsh voice to many video games and animated television series, including playing the role of Hades in Justice League and in Gargoyles, as the character Macbeth. He appears in the full motion video cut scenes of computer games including Ripper (as Vigo Haman) (1996), Dune 2000 (as Noree Moneo) (1998), and the Wing Commander series (as James Paladin Taggart). He also lent his vocal talents to the games Freelancer and Lords of Everquest (both in 2003) and the game Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness, which was released with his narration on a CD ROM version in 1995. In 2004, he was the unknowing subject of an internet prank that spread false rumours in several mainstream media sources that he was scheduled to play the role of General Grievous in Star Wars Episode III.[6]He also made a voice role on Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance as the character Jherek, and narrated a documentary called "The Glory of Macedonia".

Political views

He is a member of the British Conservative Party. As a university student in the 1960s, he was a radical leftist, but he started to change his views when he went to heckle a young local member of parliament, Margaret Thatcher. Rhys-Davies says that "she shot down the first two hecklers in such brilliant fashion that I decided I ought for once to shut up and listen."

In 2004, in a magazine interview, Rhys-Davies compared the theme of The Lord of the Rings with the current situation of Western Europe, whose civilisation he described as being challenged by a rise of the Muslim population, stating:

There is a demographic catastrophe happening in Europe that nobody wants to talk about, that we daren't bring up because we are so cagey about not offending people racially. And rightly we should be. But there is a cultural thing as well… By 2020, fifty percent of the children in Holland under the age of 18 will be of Muslim descent… And don't forget, coupled with this there is this collapse of numbers. Western Europeans are not having any babies. The population of Germany at the end of the century is going to be 56% of what it is now. The populations of France, 52% of what it is now. The population of Italy is going to be down 7 million people.[7]
His comments were endorsed by the British National Party.[8][9] Rhys-Davies commented that it was "distressing to find yourself on a BNP leaflet".[7]

Yet, in an interview with the conservative National Review, he clarifies that he is opposed to Islamic extremism precisely because he feels that it violates Western beliefs in equality, democracy, tolerance, and the abolition of slavery.[10] "When I look at contemporary Islam, I see homophobia, forced conversion, genital mutilation, slavery, two million people being put to death in the Sudan because of their religion".[11]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:01 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:03 am
Airline attendants anouncements -

Category: Other Jokes

Airline attendants anouncements

Occasionally, airline attendants make an effort to make the "in-flight safety lecture" and their other anouncements a bit more entertaining. Here are some real examples that have been heard or reported:

There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane…"

After landing: "Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."

As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington National, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"

After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Memphis, a flight attendant on a Northwest flight announced: "Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted."

From a Southwest Airlines employee…. "Welcome aboard Southwest Flight XXX to YYY. To operate your seatbelt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seatbelt, and if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised.

In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face.

If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with two or more small children, decide now which one you love more.

Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, we'll but try to have them fixed before we arrive. Thank you, and remember, nobody loves you, or your money, more than Southwest Airlines."

"Your seat cushions can be used for flotation, and in the event of an emergency water landing, please take them with our compliments."

Once on a Southwest flight, the pilot said, "We've reached our cruising altitude now, and I'm turning off the seat belt sign. I'm switching to autopilot, too, so I can come back there and visit with all of you for the rest of the flight."

"Should the cabin lose pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the overhead area. Please place the bag over your own mouth and nose before assisting children or adults acting like children."

"As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses."

"Last one off the plane must clean it."

And from the pilot during his welcome message: "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry… Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight…!"

Heard on Southwest Airlines just after a very hard landing in Salt Lake City: The flight attendant came on the intercom and said, "That was quite a bump and I know what ya'll are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it wasn't the flight attendants' fault…it was the asphalt!"

Overheard on an American Airlines flight into Amarillo, Texas, on a particularly windy and bumpy day. During the final approach the Captain was really having to fight it. After an extremely hard landing, the Flight Attendant came on the PA and announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Amarillo. Please remain in your seats with your seatbelts fastened while the Captain taxis what's left of our airplane to the gate!"

Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect landing: "We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal."

An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the door while the passengers exited, smile, and give them a "Thanks for flying XYZ airline." He said that in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally evryone had gotten off except for this little old lady walking with a cane. She said, "Sonny, mind if I ask you a question?" "Why no Ma'am," said the pilot, "what is it?" The little old lady said, "Did we land or were we shot down?"

After a real crusher of a landing in Phoenix, the Flight Attendant came on with, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Capt. Crash and the Crew have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the warning bells are silenced, we'll open the door and you can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal."

Part of a flight attendant's arrival announcement: "We'd like to thank you folks for flying with us today. And, the next time you get the insane urge to go zipping through the skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you'll think of us here at US Airways."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 11:43 am
Laughing Scary, Bob.

And today's bio quintet:

Tyrone Power; Ann B. Davis; Tammy Wynette; John Rhys Davies and Bob Seger

http://www.librarising.com/astrology/sunsigns/Simages/T-Z/tyronepower.jpghttp://www.allamericanspeakers.com/sportspeakers/photos/1529anndavis.jpghttp://cdn.last.fm/coverart/130x130/2215605-642237348.jpg
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/j/john_rhys_davies/thumbnails/tn2_john_rhys_davies.jpghttp://www.vnn.vn/dataimages/original/images74887_3,%2520Bob%2520Seger.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:44 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYlhw3g4P8

I got to see Dylan in person when this song was new. He played the organ on it. Having all the original musicians on stage, he made the songs sound pretty much like the record.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:05 pm
It's kinda late for this, but, it stll snows a bit in places like Denver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoehZQFYc4
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:37 pm
Then there's
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
by Iron Maiden

Soothing, no?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:24 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EBGsOyAPE

I love this song, but never really cared for the artist or the artist's other songs.
Johnny Ray
Walking in the Rain

I chose it, because that's what I did all day long - walking in the rain. We had about four inches. One area near us got over seven.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 09:20 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKQUX3l1dIU

Roy Hamilton could go from the tender ballad to the up tempo rock song without breaking a sweat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 05:04 am
A great morning to yez all. How about a bit of Rod Stewart this fine AM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmUmhFyic9A
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 06:00 am
Good morning, WA2K radio and edgar. Razz

The wastrel and the prodigal have returned. Thank you so very much, Texas, for being such a wonderful host.

Will return later to acknowledge and listen to every song, but for the moment, here is my matin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BeCN5sZLk4
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 07:01 am
Good morning WA2K and Welcome Back, Letty. Very Happy

Your matin, of course, reminded me of John Denver and a little bitty tear still falls whenever I hear his recording of "Back Home Again". I don't think it's on YouTube.

Here's some of the "sunshine" mentioned in that song, the sunshine that made his mother cry. - Hope you can feel the warmth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zx27dP1mTg&feature=related
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 07:26 am
Good morning, Raggedy. Love that one by John Denver. There are those who think "Sunshine" is an allusion to drugs, but I take each song at face value, and that one is valuable, PA.

Noticed that our edgar had a song by Iron Maiden, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I was intrigued, folks, and searched it out. Although I don't think that it may be the best version of the poem, I think the message is quite clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pV7Z3EX_o

"...silly buckets on the deck that had so long remained; I dreamt that they were filled with dew, and when I woke, it rained...."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:34 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:37 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:43 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:51 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:53 am
Smart Dog

A butcher is working, and really busy. He notices a dog in his shop and shoos him away. Later, he notices the dog is back again. He walks over to the dog, and notices the dog has a note in his mouth. The butcher takes the note, and it reads, "Can I have 12 sausages and a leg of lamb, please."

The butcher looks, and lo and behold, in the dog's mouth, there is a ten dollar bill. So the butcher takes the money, puts the sausages and lamb in a bag, and places it in the dog's mouth. The butcher is very impressed, and since it's closing time, he decides to close up shop and follow the dog.

So, off he goes. The dog is walking down the street and comes to a crossing. The dog puts down the bag, jumps up and presses the crossing button. Then he waits patiently, bag in mouth, for the lights to change. They do, and he walks across the road, with the butcher following.

The dog then comes to a bus stop, and starts looking at the timetable. The butcher is in awe at this stage. The dog checks out the times, and sits on one of the seats to wait for the bus.

Along comes a bus. The dog walks to the front of the bus, looks at the number, and goes back to his seat. Another bus comes. Again the dog goes and looks at the number, notices it's the right bus, and climbs on.

The butcher, by now open-mouthed, follows him onto the bus. The bus travels thru town and out to the suburbs. Eventually the dog gets up, moves to the front of the bus, and standing on his hind legs, pushes the button to stop the bus. The dog gets off, groceries still in his mouth, and the butcher still following.

They walk down the road, and the dog approaches a house. He walks up the path, and drops the groceries on the step. Then he walks back down the path, takes a big run, and throws himself -whap!- against the door. He goes back down the path, takes another run, and throws himself -whap!- against the door again!

There's no answer at the door, so the dog goes back down the path, jumps up on a narrow wall, and walks along the perimeter of the garden. He gets to a window, and bangs his head against it several times. He walks back, jumps off the wall, and waits at the door. The butcher watches as a big guy opens the door, and starts laying into the dog, really yelling at him.

The butcher runs up and stops the guy. "What the heck are you doing? This dog is a genius. He could be on TV, for God's sake!"

To which the guy responds, "Clever, my ass. This is the second time this week he's forgotten his key!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 09:08 am
Thanks, Bob. Good bio's today.

Love this one by George, and it's the best lip sync that I have ever seen, folks.

(just ignore the glitches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krwywj_gIjk&feature=related
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 10:02 am
Incidentally, all. Only Raggedy will know why I am playing this one. Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A30UXHw2Y40
0 Replies