WA2K Radio is now on the air

teenyboone

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 04:58 pm
Great voice! Great song, too! Happy Valetine's Day, all!

RexRed wrote:
Here is the song I wrote and posted here the other day. It is me singing, I made the music and the slide show. Enjoy!

Sailor of the Land

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aQ69PdMMW5Q

RexRed

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:17 pm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:56 pm
letty wrote :

Quote:
I suspect that in today's world, the worst slaves are the working poor. I had to do a bit of research on NABUCCO, and found that it was done by Joe Green.

i admire your research skills , letty !!! Arrow Rolling Eyes Laughing

i'll sign off with an old german SCHLAGER (hit) from about 1950 -
called FISHERS OF CAPRI

i've never heard it performed like this - it's almost a bit classical ,
it used be be more like SCHMALZ when i sang Shocked Laughing it
hbg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TW-O_Vg7bXg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:36 pm
goodnight, hbg. I know where Capri is and the Blue Grotto, and I really like that fisherman song. I know that "bella, bella, bella, Marie" means beautiful Marie, as well. (the melody sounded a bit like "There's No Tomorrow")

I guess most of our audience realizes that today is the anniversary of The notorious St. Valentine's Day Massacre, so I thought I might play a song made famous by Paper Lace. Joe from Chicago set me straight on the geography as well. I haven't forgotten that there is NO East side of Chicago.

First, the English lyrics, folks.

The Night Chicago Died

Brother, what a night the people saw
Brother, what a fight the people saw
Yes, indeed

Then there was no sound at all
But the clock up on the wall
Then the door burst open wide
And my daddy stepped inside
And he kissed my momma's face
Then brushed her tears away

I heard my momma cry
I heard her pray the night Chicago died
Brother, what a night it really was
Brother, what a fight it really was
Glory be

I heard my momma cry
I heard her pray the night Chicago died
Brother, what a night the people saw
Brother, what a fight the people saw
Yes, indeed

The night Chicago died
The night Chicago died
Brother, what a night it really was
Brother, what a fight it really was
Glory be

The night Chicago died
The night Chicago died

and now the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZ4GOzBPac&feature=related

Goodnight, y'all

From Letty with love
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 04:41 am
Good morning, WA2K radio audience.

Today is Jane Seymour's birthday, and she was the Bond girl in Live and Let Die starring Roger Moore.

Love the song from that movie by Paul McCartney and Wings so let's listen, ok?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:35 am
John Barrymore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Barrymore (aged 40) (1922)
Birth name John Sidney Blyth
Born February 15, 1882(1882-02-15)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Died May 29, 1942 (aged 60)
Los Angeles, California
Spouse(s) Katherine Corri Harris (1910-1917)
Blanche Oelrichs (1920-1928)
Dolores Costello (1928-1934)
Elaine Barrie (1936-1940)
Children Diana Barrymore (1921-1960)
Dolores Ethel Blyth Barrymore (b.1930)
John Drew Barrymore (1932-2004)
Parents Maurice Barrymore (1849-1905)
Georgiana Drew (1856-1893)

John Sidney Blyth Barrymore (February 15, 1882 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - May 29, 1942 in Los Angeles, California), was an American actor.

He gained fame as a stage actor, lauded for his portrayals of Hamlet and Richard III, and is frequently called the greatest actor of his generation. He was the brother of Lionel Barrymore and Ethel Barrymore, and the grandfather of Drew Barrymore.

Background

Barrymore was born into an illustrious theatrical family. His parents were Maurice Barrymore and Georgiana Drew. His maternal grandmother was Louisa Lane Drew (aka Mrs Drew), a prominent and well respected 19th century actress and theater manager, who instilled in John, his sister Ethel & brother Lionel the ways of acting & theatre life. John's classic nose and distinguished features won him the nickname "The Great Profile." John fondly remembered the summer of 1896 in his youth spent on Maurice's rambling farm on Long Island. He , Lionel and a black cook named Edward lived a Robinson Crusoe existence in which John said that Edward never made him or Lionel make their beds or wash the dishes and Edward was always able to cook up a hearty meal from nothing. He was expelled from Georgetown Preparatory School in 1898 after being caught attending a bordello. He was a hard-drinking adventurer with a jaunty personality.

A notorious ladies' man, he courted showgirl Evelyn Nesbit in 1901 and 1902. When Nesbit became pregnant -- she aged 17 and he 19 -- Barrymore proposed marriage. But her "sponsor" Stanford White intervened, and arranged for the still-teenaged Evelyn to undergo an operation for "appendicitis". White was later murdered by Nesbit's vengeful husband, Pittsburgh millionaire Harry K. Thaw.

He was staying at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco when the 1906 earthquake struck. He had starred in a production of The Dictator and was booked to sail to Australia to tour with it. Since he loathed this prospect, he decided to disappear, spending the next few days drinking at the home of a friend on Van Ness Avenue. "During his drinking jag, he had worked out a plan to exploit the earthquake for his own ends. He decided to present himself as an on-the-scene "reporter" of what had really happened in San Francisco. The one discrepancy between John Barrymore's "report" and those written by others involved in the disaster was that the actor made up virtually all he claimed to have seen. Twenty years later Barrymore finally confessed to his deception. But by then he was so famous that the world merely smiled indulgently at his admission."[1] His account was written as a "letter to my sister Ethel. He was sure the letter would be "worth at least a hundred dollars." In terms of publicity it earned Barrymore a thousand times that amount.[2]

Early Theater and Film Career

Barrymore delivered some of the most critically acclaimed performances in theatre and cinema history and was regarded by many as the screen's greatest performer during a movie career spanning 25 years as a leading man in more than 60 films.

He specialized in trivial comedies until creating a sensation in John Galsworthy's Justice (1916). He followed this triumph up with Broadway successes in Peter Ibbetson (1917)(a role his father Maurice had wanted to play) and The Jest (1919) (co-starring his brother Lionel), reaching what seemed to be the zenith of his career as Richard III in 1920. Barrymore had a conspicuous failure in his wife Michael Strange's strange play Clair de Lune (1921), but followed it with the greatest success of his career with Hamlet in 1920 which he played on Broadway for 101 performances and then took to London in 1925.

His silent-film roles included A.J. Raffles in Raffles the Amateur Cracksman (1917), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920), Sherlock Holmes (1922), Beau Brummel (1924), The Sea Beast (1926, as Captain Ahab), and Don Juan (1926). When talking pictures arrived, Barrymore's theatrically trained voice added a new dimension to his work. He made his talkie debut with a dramatic reading from Henry VI in Warner Brothers' musical revue The Show of Shows, and reprised his Captain Ahab role in Moby Dick (1930). His other leads included The Man from Blankley's (1930), Svengali (1931), The Mad Genius (1931), Grand Hotel (1932), Dinner at Eight (1933), Topaze (1933) and Twentieth Century (1934). He worked opposite many of the screen's foremost leading ladies, including Greta Garbo, Katharine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, and Carole Lombard. In 1933, Barrymore appeared as a Jewish attorney in the title role of Counsellor-at-Law based on Elmer Rice's 1931 play. As critic Pauline Kael later wrote, he "seems an unlikely choice for the ghetto-born lawyer...but this is one of the few screen roles that reveal his measure as an actor. His 'presence' is apparent in every scene; so are his restraint, his humor, and his zest."

In the late 1930s alcoholism and possibly Alzheimer's Disease encroached on his ability to remember his lines, and his diminished abilities were plainly apparent in an existing screen test that he made for an aborted film of Hamlet in 1934. From then on he insisted on reading his dialogue from cue cards. In the late 1930s he continued to give creditable performances in lesser pictures (he played Inspector Nielson in some of Paramount Pictures' Bulldog Drummond mysteries) and offered one last bravura dramatic turn in RKO's 1939 feature The Great Man Votes. After that, his last screen roles were broad and distasteful caricatures of himself, as in The Great Profile (with a demeaning choice of theme music: "Oh, Johnny, How You Can Love") and World Premiere. In the otherwise embarrassing Playmates with bandleader Kay Kyser, the failing Barrymore recited the Hamlet soliloquy with care and conviction, seeming to know that he would never do it again. In 1937, Barrymore visited the country of India, the land where his father had been born. In his private life during his last years he was married to his fourth and last wife Elaine Barrie which for better or worse turned out to be disastrous. His brother Lionel tried to help John find a small place near himself and to convince John to stay away from impetuous marriages which usually ended in divorce and put a strain on his once great income.

He was known for calling people by nicknames of his own creation. Dolores Costello was known in his writing alternately as "Small Cat," "Catkiwee," "Winkie", and "Egg." He called Lionel "Mike". And Ethel called John "Jake". He was fond of sailing, and owned his own yacht, "The Mariner", on which he could escape unhappy wives, mistresses, lawyers, and creditors. Both his first and second wives were delivered by the same doctor. Barrymore owned a pet monkey named Clementine, which he adored, and which appeared with her master in the films The Sea Beast (1926), Don Juan (1926), and When A Man Loves (1927). Clementine was a gift from English actress Gladys Cooper.

Barrymore collapsed while appearing on a radio show and died some days later in his hospital room. His dying words were "Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him." Gene Fowler attributes different dying words to Barrymore in his biography Good Night, Sweet Prince. According to Fowler, John Barrymore roused as if to say something to his brother Lionel; Lionel asked John to repeat himself, and John simply replied, "You heard me, Mike".

According to Errol Flynn's memoirs, film director Raoul Walsh "borrowed" Barrymore's body after the funeral, and left his corpse propped in a chair for a drunken Flynn to discover when he returned home from The Cock and Bull Bar. This was re-created in the movie W. C. Fields and Me. Other accounts of this classic Hollywood tale substitute actor Peter Lorre in the place of Walsh, but Raoul Walsh himself tells the story in Richard Schickel's 1973 documentary "The Men Who Made the Movies."

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, John Barrymore has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6667 Hollywood Boulevard.

Barrymore had been a friend and contemporary (and drinking buddy) of his fellow Philadelphian W. C. Fields. In the 1976 film W. C. Fields and Me, Barrymore was played by Jack Cassidy. He was also portrayed by Christopher Plummer in the 1996 one-man show Barrymore.

He is mentioned in the lyrics of the song I May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful) by Harry Sullivan and Harry Ruskin, written in 1929, which became the theme song of the Apollo Theater in New York, and which was recorded by many artists including Doris Day in 1950. The line is "You might be John Barrymore", meaning that you might be someone wonderful (it is a love song).

Marriages

Katherine Corri Harris (1891-1927), an actress who starred in the 1918 film The House of Mirth, on September 1, 1910 and divorced in 1917 .
Blanche Marie Louise Oelrichs (1890-1950), aka "Michael Strange," on August 5, 1920 and divorced her in 1925 . They had one child:
Diana Blanche Barrymore (1921-1960), whose tragic life ended at age 38. A semi-autobiographical story of her life was depicted in Too Much, Too Soon, starring Errol Flynn as her father
Dolores Costello (1903-1979), actress and model best known for Little Lord Fauntleroy (1936) & The Magnificent Ambersons(1941); they married on November 24, 1928 and divorced in 1935 . They had two children:
Dolores Ethel Mae Barrymore (living)
John Drew Barrymore (1932-2004) (father of Drew Barrymore)
Elaine Barrie (née Elaine Jacobs), (1916-2003), an actress; married November 9, 1936 and divorced 1940

Quotations

"Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?"
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams."
On the subject of theatre reviews: "Actors should never read them. If you don't believe the bad ones, why should you pay attention to the good ones?" said to John Carradine, who was performing in If I Were King at the Philharmonic Theatre in Los Angeles.[3]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:37 am
Arthur Shields

Arthur Shields (February 15, 1896 -April 27, 1970) was an Irish stage and film actor.

Born into an Irish Protestant family, he was also an Irish Nationalist and fought in the Easter Uprising of 1916. He was captured and was incarcerated in an internment camp in North Wales.

Some of his memorable roles were as the Reverend Playfair in Ford's The Quiet Man opposite John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara and his brother, Barry Fitzgerald, as Dr. Laughlin in Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with Wayne, and again with his brother and John Wayne in John Ford's Long Voyage Home. He appeared as Fogarty in Little Nellie Kelly opposite Judy Garland and George Murphy. Other films in which he had a supporting role include The Keys of the Kingdom, The Fabulous Dorseys, The Fighting Father Dunne, Gallant Journey, Drums Along the Mohawk with Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert, Lady Godiva with Maureen O'Hara and National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney. He also played a memorable supporting role, as a widower living in India, in Jean Renoir's The River. He died in Santa Barbara, California.

Shields was the younger brother of Irish actor Barry Fitzgerald
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
Cesar Romero

Birth name Cesar Julio Romero, Jr.
Born February 15, 1907(1907-02-15)
New York City, USA
Died January 1, 1994 (aged 86)
Santa Monica, California, USA
Resting place Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California, USA\

Other name(s) Butch, Latin from Manhattan
Years active ca. 1930-1990

Cesar Julio Romero, Jr. (February 15, 1907 - January 1, 1994) was a Cuban-American film and television actor, renowned for his portrayal of The Joker in the television series Batman.

Biography

Romero was born in New York to wealthy Cuban parents. However, that lifestyle would change dramatically when his parents lost their sugar import business and suffered losses in the Stock Market Crash of 1929. Fortunately, Romero's Hollywood earnings allowed him to support his large family, who all followed him to the West Coast, years later. Romero lived on and off with various family members, especially his sister, for the rest of his life.

Romero served admirably in various capacities in the United States Coast Guard in the Pacific for several years during World War II, with fellow Hollywood actors, Gig Young and Richard Cromwell.

Career

in Public Enemy's Wife (1936)Romero played "Latin lovers" in films from the 1930s until the 1950s, usually in supporting roles. Initially, he attracted attention in Hollywood when he starred as Cisco Kid in six westerns made between 1939 and 1941. Romero's skill at both dancing and comedy can be seen in the classic 20th Century Fox films he starred in opposite Carmen Miranda and Betty Grable, such as Week-End in Havana and Springtime in the Rockies, in the 1940s.

As well as being an accomplished ballroom dancer, Romero was also a fine dramatic actor, as he demonstated in The Thin Man (1934), in which he played a villainous supporting role opposite the film's main star William Powell. Many of Romero's films from this early period saw him cast in small character parts, such as Italian gangsters and East Indian princes.

20th Century Fox, and mogul, Darryl Zanuck personally selected Romero to co-star with Tyrone Power in the Technicolor historical epic, Captain From Castile (1947), directed by Henry King. While Power played a fictionalized character, Romero played Hernan Cortez, the most famous Conquistador in Spain's conquest of the Americas. The movie is set in 1519, and sets out the general account of the first stages in the conquest of the Aztecs in Mexico. This film was meant as the vehicle to restart Tyrone Power's career, though many feel that Romero's career benefitted more from it. It was produced on a scale that would not be eclipsed as a visual epic, until years later when the cinema brought on Quo Vadis, The Robe, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur or even later, Lawrence of Arabia. Romero was able to maintain the aura of "major stardom" for at least 10 years after this major role. The film was widely seen, and influenced the future depiction of Spanish Conquistadors. The film anachronistically depicted the armor and headgear worn by the conquering Spanish adventurers, shifting the styles forward about 70 years. Countless monuments, logos, commercial art, and text books over the years have copied this mistake.

Television icon

In 1966, Romero again achieved icon status when he played The Joker in ABC's television series, Batman. He refused to shave his trademark mustache and so it was covered with white makeup when playing the supervillain throughout the series' run. Romero also portrayed The Joker in the movie version of the show, and his performances as The Joker were an influence for Mark Hamill when he took the role of The Joker in Batman: The Animated Series and its varied follow-ups.

In 1965 Romero played the head of THRUSH in France in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. : ("The Never Never Affair"). Among Romero's guest star work in the 1970s was a recurring role on the western comedy Alias Smith and Jones, starring Pete Duel and Ben Murphy. Romero played Señor Armendariz, a Mexican rancher feuding with Patrick McCreedy (Burl Ives), the owner of a ranch on the opposite side of the border. He appeared in three episodes. He also appeared as Count Dracula on Rod Serling's Night Gallery.

In the 1970s, Romero portrayed Chico Rodriguez's (Freddie Prinze) absent father in Chico and the Man and later appeared as Peter Stavros in the television series Falcon Crest (1985-1987).

Personal life

Romero always claimed his grandfather on his mother's side was Cuban poet and patriot José Martí although his mother's parents were legally Carmen and Manuel Mantilla with José Martí as his godfather. There was some speculation that Maria was fathered by Martí who was a boarder in the Mantilla household but he never claimed Maria as his daughter in his lifetime.

Romero was never married, despite proposing to at least one woman. Though Romero made regular appearances on the Hollywood social circuit, usually in the company of an attractive actress, he never married, and he was almost always described in interviews and articles as a "confirmed bachelor." Romero discussed his homosexuality in a series of interviews with author Boze Hadleigh, with the understanding that they would not be published during his lifetime.

Romero wore a man's tennis bracelet inscribed with his favorite nickname: "Butch." The term was reportedly bestowed on Romero by his one-time dancing partner Joan Crawford, who teased Romero by telling him: "You're so butch!" While Romero's homosexuality was an "open secret" in Hollywood, the moviegoing public was unaware of his sexual proclivities and there was never any embarrassing scandal surrounding his male liaisons, which shows the care and finesse with which he conducted his private life for more than 60 years.

In 1989, Romero told Howard Johns in an interview for radio station 2BL in Sydney, Australia, that Tyrone Power was "the only man I ever loved." Romero's response came after Johns's article about Power's homosexuality and the actor's alleged affair with Romero, which was printed in Campaign magazine. (The radio interview was aired in connection with the Batman movie starring Michael Keaton.) Romero also told Johns that his co-star Carmen Miranda, who suffered from mental depression, took cocaine "in small doses, you know," he said, "which made Carmen feel more confident about herself."

Romero made notable guest appearances on several Australian TV shows hosted by Clive James and Barry Humphries. On these shows, which played up the camp (or gay) element, Romero spoofed his Latin Lover screen image. In 1994, actress Anne Jeffreys, who was Romero's frequent escort, told Howard Johns that "Butch (his nickname) was the best dancer in Hollywood." Actress Jane Wyman told Johns in 1999 that she was delighted when Romero was chosen to play her romantic interest on the TV series Falcon Crest, because, she said, "I always liked him. I thought he was extremely sexy," Wyman confessed, "even though he was obviously gay."

Political views

Romero believed in 'liberation theology,' a political system combining Marxism with Christianity, which purports that, despite the fact that Karl Marx called religion 'the opiate of the masses,' religion and communism are still compatible. Romero was very Christian yet still believed in a utopian society whose belief is that Christ's kingdom would be very similar to Marx's envisionment of communism, and held to this belief until his death."[1][2]

He was a mainstay of the Hollywood social circuit until his death in 1994.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:43 am
Kevin McCarthy

Born February 15, 1914 (1914-02-15) (age 94)
Seattle, Washington

Kevin McCarthy (born February 15, 1914) is an American actor.

McCarthy was born in Seattle, Washington, the son of Martha Therese (née Preston) and Roy Winfield McCarthy.[1] McCarthy's father was from a wealthy Irish Catholic family based in Minnesota, and his mother was born in Washington state to a Protestant father and a Jewish mother.[2] He is the brother of the late author Mary McCarthy, and a distant cousin of former U.S. senator and presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy. He graduated from Campion High School in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin in 1932.

McCarthy was quite accomplished at a young age in the theatre. In 1949, he was cast as Biff in the London company of Death of a Salesman, starring Paul Muni. A film was made in 1951 and he was nominated for an Academy Award for his role.[3]

McCarthy later went on to have a long and distinguished career as an in-demand character actor. He has had some starring roles sprinkled in his career, most notably the horror film classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers. On television, he had roles in two short-lived series: The Survivors with Lana Turner; and Flamingo Road as Claude Weldon, father of the Morgan Fairchild character.

Beginning in 1942, McCarthy had a long and close friendship with the acclaimed actor Montgomery Clift. McCarthy and Clift were cast in the same play together, Ramon Naya's Mexican Mural. The two of them, along with McCarthy's wife Augusta Dabney McCarthy, quickly became the best of friends. They socialized together and acted in several projects together.

McCarthy was also there the night in 1956 when Clift wrapped his car around a telephone pole on Coldwater Canyon. They had spent the evening at a dinner party at the home of Elizabeth Taylor in Beverly Hills. By 11:30, Clift excused himself, but he had drunk so much that McCarthy took it upon himself to drive ahead of him and thus lead him down the hill. Minutes later, McCarthy returned to the party. "Monty's been in an accident! I think he's dead!" Clift was seriously injured and his face scarred in the accident, but he survived. Still, his career was never the same after that.[4]

Despite his advanced age, McCarthy has four feature films completed or in production in 2007.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:45 am
Harvey Korman

Birth name Harvey Herschel Korman
Born February 15, 1927 (1927-02-15) (age 81)
Chicago, Illinois
Spouse(s) Donna Ehlert
(1960-1977)
Deborah Korman
(1982-present)

Harvey Herschel Korman (born February 15, 1927) is an American actor. He has performed in television and movie productions in the U.S. since 1960. His first big break was being a featured performer on The Danny Kaye Show, but he is probably best remembered for his performances on The Carol Burnett Show and in the comedy films of Mel Brooks, most notably Blazing Saddles.

Biography

Career

His early television work included voice-over work on Tom and Jerry and as the Great Gazoo on The Flintstones. Recently he has done voice work for the live-action version of The Flintstones as well as the animated The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue.

Korman has been nominated for six Emmy Awards, and won four (in 1969, 1971 (for Outstanding Achievement By a Performer in Music or Variety), 1972, and 1974). He was also nominated for four Golden Globes, winning in 1975.

Korman is referred to in an episode of the comedy series Scrubs, "My Fault".

Personal life

Korman was born in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Ellen (née Blecher) and Cyril Raymond Korman.[1] He is Jewish.[2] He was married to Donna Ehlert (1960-1977) and they had two children together, Chris and Maria Korman. He is married to Deborah Korman (1982-present) and they have two daughters together, Kate and Laura Korman.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:47 am
Claire Bloom

Birth name Patricia Claire Blume
Born February 15, 1931 (1931-02-15) (age 77)
Finchley, North London, England
Spouse(s) Rod Steiger (1959-1969)
Hillard Elkins (1969-1972)
Philip Roth (1990-1995)

Claire Bloom (born Patricia Claire Blume on February 15, 1931) is an English film and stage actress.

Biography

Early life

Bloom was born in the North London suburb of Finchley, to Edward Blume (the son of Jewish immigrants, originally named Blumenthal, from Russia and Latvia) and Elizabeth Grew (a descendant of Jewish immigrants from Poland originally named Griewski). She attended secondary school at the Badminton School in Bristol.

Career

After training at the Guildhall School and the Central School of Speech and Drama, Bloom made her debut on BBC radio programmes. She made her stage debut in 1946, when she was 15, with the Oxford Repertory Theatre. Her London stage debut was in 1947 in the Christopher Fry play The Lady's Not For Burning; the following year, she received great acclaim for her portrayal of Ophelia in Hamlet, the first of many works by William Shakespeare that Bloom would appear in.

Bloom has appeared in a number of plays and theatrical works in both London and New York. Those works include Look Back in Anger, Rashomon, and Bloom's favorite role, that of Blanche in the Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire. Bloom has also performed in a one woman show that included monologues from several of her stage performances.

Bloom's first film role was in 1948, for the film The Blind Goddess. She was chosen by Charlie Chaplin in 1952 to appear in his film Limelight, which catapulted Bloom to stardom, and remains one of her most memorable roles. She was subsequently featured in a number of "costume" roles in films sych as Alexander The Great, The Brothers Karamazov, The Buccaneer, and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. Bloom also appeared in Laurence Olivier's Richard III, Ibsen's A Doll's House, as well as the films The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Look Back in Anger, both with Richard Burton.

In the 1960s she began to play more contemporary roles, including an unhinged housewife in The Chapman Report, a psychiatrist in the Oscar winning film Charly, and a lesbian in The Haunting. She also appeared in the 1989 Woody Allen film Crimes and Misdemeanors. Her most recent appearance in a Hollywood film was in the 1996 Sylvester Stallone film Daylight.

Bloom has appeared in several films, series and serials for television, perhaps the most memorable of which was her portrayal of Lady Marchmain in Brideshead Revisited (1981). Other roles included two prominent BBC Television productions for director Rudolph Cartier; co-starring with Sean Connery in Anna Karenina (1961), and playing Cathy in Wuthering Heights with Keith Michell as Heathcliffe (1962).[1] She also appeared as First Lady Edith Wilson in Backstairs at the White House (1979); as Joy Gresham, the wife of C. S. Lewis in Shadowlands (1985), and as the older Sophy in the 1992 miniseries The Camomile Lawn on Britain's Channel 4. Her most recent appearance in a miniseries was in the 2006 version of The Ten Commandments.

On continuing television series, she has appeared on the New York-based Law & Order: Criminal Intent. From 1991 to 1993, she portrayed villainess Orlena Grimaldi on the daytime drama As The World Turns. She also had major roles in several of the BBC-Shakespeare Play television presentations and has led workshops on Shakespearean performance practices.

In January 2006, she appeared on the London stage in Arthur Allan Seidelman's production of Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks by Richard Alfieri, a two-hander in which she co-starred with Billy Zane.

Personal life

Bloom has married three times. Her first marriage was in 1959 to actor Rod Steiger, whom she had met when they both performed in the play Rashomon. Their daughter, opera singer Anna Steiger, was born in 1960. Steiger and Bloom divorced in 1969. In that same year, Bloom married producer Hillard Elkins. The marriage lasted three years and the couple divorced in 1972. Bloom's third marriage in 1991 was to writer Philip Roth, her longtime companion. The couple divorced in 1995.

Bloom wrote two memoirs about her life and career. The first, Limelight and After: The Education of an Actress, was released in 1982 and was an in-depth look at her career and the film and stage roles she had portrayed. Her second book, Leaving a Doll's House: A Memoir, was published in 1996, and went into greater details about her personal life; she discussed not only her marriages but her romantic relationships with Richard Burton and Laurence Olivier. The book created a stir when Bloom detailed the highly complicated relationship between her and Philip Roth during their marriage. The details Bloom shared were unflattering to Roth, and created a controversy regarding the true nature of their relationship. The character of Eve Frame in Roth's 1998 novel I Married a Communist is clearly intended as a retort. In the book, Frame is constantly bullied by her daughter, a professional harpist, and their relationship slowly ruins Frame's marriage to her third husband. She then destroys the reputation of her former husband by publishing her memoirs accusing him of being a communist spy.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:50 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:52 am
An Irishman, a Mexican and a redneck were doing construction work on the scaffolding of a tall building. They were eating lunch. The Irishman said, "Corned beef and cabbage! If I get corned beef and cabbage one more time for lunch, I'm going to jump off this building."

The Mexican opened his lunch box and exclaimed, "Burritos again! If I get burritos one more time, I'm going to jump off too." The redneck opened his lunch and said, "Bologna again. If I get a bologna sandwich one more time, I'm jumping too."

Next day the Irishman opens his lunch box, sees corned beef and cabbage and jumps to his death. The Mexican opens his lunch, sees a burrito and jumps too. The redneck opens his lunch, sees the bologna and jumps to his death as well.

At the funeral, the Irishman's wife is weeping. She says, "I I'd known how really tired he was of corned beef and cabbage, I never would have given it to him again!" The Mexican's wife also weeps and says, "I could have given him tacos or enchiladas! I didn't realize he hated burritos so much."

Everyone turned and stared at the redneck's wife. "Hey, don't look at me," she said. "He makes his own lunch."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
UhOh, BioBob, You might be a redneck if....Loved the funny, hawkman, and The bio's of the rich and famous were very informative as usual.

Well, folks, I don't see any inspiration among Bob's celebs for any particular song, so let's listen to Peter Gallagher do one from a revival of Guys and Dolls while we await our pretty pup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q42TlzS3kHs
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
BOB'S MEXICAN DOING A DANCE :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UL26gI_TqWI
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:59 am
and here is to the hard .... working irish :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ijr3Qaj48wg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:06 pm
so i won't be accuse of dicriminating against the rednecks ... :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YNz2I2LO-AQ&feature=related
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:27 pm
Good afternoon WA2K.

And the faces for Bob's bios:

John Barrymore; Arthur Shields; Cesar Romero; Kevin McCarthy; Harvey Korman; Claire Bloom and Jane Seymour

http://images.greencine.com/images/movies/amg/dvd/cov150/drt100/t185/t1854568xla.jpghttp://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/photos/ashildsx.jpghttp://coloquio.com/famosos/cesarromero.jpg
http://www.body-snatchers.com/frontpagepic.jpghttp://www.librarising.com/astrology/moonsigns/Simages/harveykorman.jpg
http://www.biography-clarebooks.co.uk/usrimage/cat85.jpghttp://www.poptower.com/images/db/2146/420/300/jane-seymour.jpg

A scene I love from Charlie Chaplin's "Limelight" co-starring Claire Bloom as Terry, the ballerina. And a recording of the Limelight theme (Terry's Theme) which Chaplin wrote. Vic Damone had a hit with it when words were added. It was called "Eternally". Did you ever hear that melody?
When I saw the PA premiere of Limelight, my husband and I and another couple were the only people in the theater. It was pulled from the theater the next day. We hadn't known it was banned because of the McCarthy witchhunt, but if we had known, we'd still have gone to see it. Ironically, twenty years later it was revived and won an Oscar for Best Music and Charlie appeared at the Oscar ceremony. I guess the music sounds outdated now, but I love outdated stuff. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzbGL8Qn6A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itfmN07pmE8&feature=related
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:50 pm
teenyboone wrote:
Great voice! Great song, too! Happy Valetine's Day, all!

RexRed wrote:
Here is the song I wrote and posted here the other day. It is me singing, I made the music and the slide show. Enjoy!

Sailor of the Land

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aQ69PdMMW5Q

RexRed

Embarrassed

Here is my song again
This is the new the new link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8R1lPcH_xc

I removed the video yesterday and remade it.
Hope you like the improvements.
Thanks all for the really wonderful compliments!

Enjoy the show
Please cast your vote Smile
THANK-YOU!
RexRed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:52 pm
First allow me to thank hbg for the Mexican Hat Dance. Love it, Canada and love the costumes as well. The Irish song was beautiful, and the Red Neck hilarious.

When our Raggedy puts a face to a name, it is so much easier to recall the famous folks. Thanks, PA puppy, for the remembrance of John Barrymore and Cesar Romero.

My word, folks, I know that theme, and it must have been from Vic Damone's recording. Thanks, gal, because it was lovely. Okay, I know one of the Rob's did a movie about Charlie Chaplin, but I can never remember which one.

Well, until my memory gets in gear, Let's listen to another Mexican dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NxTUqxwQA
0 Replies