WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
Ah, dear dys. What lovely songs you chose, cowboy. The Celtic Traditional was lovely, and thank you for playing it.

Well, I have spent quite a day fooling around and learning stuff, folks, so it's time to say goodnight.

Good-Night by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Good-night? ah! no; the hour is ill
Which severs those it should unite;
Let us remain together still,
Then it will be good night.

How can I call the lone night good,
Though thy sweet wishes wing its flight?
Be it not said, thought, understood --
Then it will be -- good night.

To hearts which near each other move
From evening close to morning light,
The night is good; because, my love,
They never say good-night.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:12 pm
A word or two about the loss of the great songwriter/musician who passed on last Sunday. I feel the loss deeply and think that he was a spokesman on relationships for the babyboomer/60s/70s generation. How sad I feel about the loss and yet joyful over how much he left with those meaningful lyrics and musical memories.

His passing was somewhat expected considering the advanced state of his illness. His family and publicist urge men over 50 to get tested/screened regularly for prostate cancer.

His music and his words echo in my soul. Quite often, unlike other singer/songwriters, I find when I'm very happy or sad I often think of his lyrics. Perhaps, I put him on par with James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Dylan, Tom Rush Jackson Browne.

"I was raised by a river
Weaned upon the sky

And in the mirror of the waters

I saw myself learn to cry.

- "The River"

Dan Fogelberg

"... 'The Innocent Age'....will be best remembered for two of its four hits, "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne." Mr. Fogelberg's best writing breathes in "Lang Syne." The song's lovely yet melancholy melody provides the perfect cushion for the vivid words. Upon bumping into an old girlfriend at a grocery store, a conversation ensues. Time has brought them back together, but they aren't as they were when the fire first flickered inside them. "

"She said she'd married her an architect," he sings, "Who kept her warm and safe and dry/She would have liked to say she loved the man/But she didn't like to lie/I said the years had been a friend to her/And that her eyes were still as blue/But in those eyes I wasn't sure if I saw/Doubt or gratitude."

And, ...finally, to get a sense of what I consider an archetype of a fine romantic song is please watch/ listen on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEUn6ozJNA

Tribute to his Dad (and all Dads really):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mml7n4FmA
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:34 pm
Words by Bob Dylan
Music by Rick Danko

If your memory serves you well
We were going to meet again and wait
So I'm going to unpack all my things
And sit before it gets too late
No man alive will comfort you
With another tale to tell
But you know that we shall meet again
This wheel's on fire
Rolling down the road
Best notify my next of kin
This wheel shall explode

I was going to confiscate your lace
and wrap it up in a sailor's knot
And hide it in your case
If I knew for sure that it was yours
But it was oh so hard to tell
But you knew that we would meet again
This wheel's on fire
Rolling down the road
This wheel shall explode

You'll remember you're the one
That called on them to call on him
To get your favors done
And after every plan had failed
And there was nothing more to tell
You knew that we would meet again
This wheel's on fire
Rolling down the road
This wheel shall explode
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:24 am
Good morning, WA2K listening audience.

First, allow me to thank Ragman for the marvelous and nostalgic song by Dan Fogelberg. I am listening to Leader of the Band right now, buddy, and my son did a video of that song and dedicated it to his dad. A few tears, but they are smiling ones. Thanks so much.

edgar, we always welcome Bob's songs here as you well know.

How about a tree song this morning, all.

O tannenbaum, O tannenbaum
Wie treu sind deine Blätter
Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit
Nein auch im Winter wenn es schneit
O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum
Wie treu sind deine Blätter

Oh Christmas Tree

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!
How are thy leaves so verdant!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How are thy leaves so verdant!

Not only in the summertime,
But even in winter is thy prime.
O Christmas tree O Christmas tree
How are they leaves so verdant
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:05 am
Good morning WA2K. Smile

Thank you Ragman for the link. It led me to this one by Dan Fogelberg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDwm3QIwfg

Be back with the pics after Bob posts. Good to see Bob again.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:14 am
It's so nice to have You Tube back again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgvSYHu7rfE
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:27 am
dyslexia wrote:
my ex sang a duet with Paul Robeson on stage when she was a mere prat of a child. It was somewhere in Harlem in the late 1940's.

Are there and photos of her, accompanying him? They'd be worth a lot of money now, if there are! There's an auction house in NYC, that deals with ephemera, of that kind. Manuscripts, photos, first editions and anything to do with the Harlem Renaissance. The famous photo, of all of the Jazz musicians of that era, bring a hefty price! The name of the auction house, is Swann Galleries and they have a website. I'm on their mailing list, but I can't afford the hefty prices, these offerings bring.

Letty:
I lost track of my replies from this group and I had to come back 5 pages to retrieve this.

Been watching all of the Christmas Movies, trying to cheer myself up. The Christ Child will come, anyway, like the snow falling everywhere, but where you are! We had a bit of it, last week, but living by the ocean, ours turned to rain. It was 18 degrees here yesterday, but it warmed up to 39, by the afternoon, praise God!

My 8 and 40 club, had its' annual Christmas Party. My Girlfriend/sister, gave me all red/white/and blue everything! She knows how much I love this country and would don red/white and blue, everyday, if I could! People often ask me why I wear it so much and I say, for my freedom, I thank those serving and the veterans! I don't consider myself a sappy American, just a loyal one. We're not a perfect Nation, by any stretch, but I love it, just the same. FYI: 8 and 40 is the Fun and Fellowship, Auxilairy, of The American Legion Auxiliary, formed in Paris, back in 1922, as a rest and relaxation, part of the Parent Organization. Only those members who have distinguished themselves, are asked to join. This is my 19th year!
I'm not a joiner, by nature, but I was serving as the County Sgt. at Arms, when I was asked to join this great group of Ladies, who raise funds for children with Cystic Fibrosis and respiratory ailments, in Children.

Having been a child with chronic bronchitis and hayfever, all my life, I jumped right in. We exchanged cute little inexpensive, yet thoughtful gifts last night. I wore my little mistletoe head-band, because I'm re-living my 3rd childhood, on purpose! You know life, is just a rest stop, on the way to eternity and if I can make a difference in anyone's life, it's a star in my crown. You have already made a difference in mine. Thank You!
Sharon Cool
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:39 am
Welcome back, Sharon. I had no idea that you had allergy problems, but I thought that, at one time, I had chronic bronchitis, but not so.

Speaking of the Harlem Renaissance, folks, how about Langston Hughes.

Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:57 am
It's on the inside page of "A Raisin in the Sun", which I saw the original cast, on Broadway. It and the film, has left an impact on me. Like a voyeur, I soaked up this look into the life of a Black Family, trying to get a "place" in life, to almost no avail.

Back in college, I took an English Course in Black Literature, because I virtually knew nothing of the writings of African Americans, the Harlem Renaissance or slave narratives, written when Blacks were forbidden to read or write. We were told, we had no history, but delving into our origins, I found that Africans had libraries dating back thousands of years, before the Greeks.

I majored in Business Admin., so the course was an elective. I then took another elective, into Intro to Art History. I was again fascinated by art dating back to cave drawings, up to today's attempt at art. Don't know why I didn't switch my major to the Humanities! I am fascinated by people, customs and legends.

Letty wrote:
Welcome back, Sharon. I had no idea that you had allergy problems, but I thought that, at one time, I had chronic bronchitis, but not so.

Speaking of the Harlem Renaissance, folks, how about Langston Hughes.

Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:01 am
Things are different now, Sharon. The dream has been realized, honey.

Hey, let's do this one for our edgar, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Y6JR2uRfY
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:11 am
Ralph Richardson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Ralph David Richardson
Born 19 December 1902(1902-12-19)
Tivoli Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
Died 10 October 1983 (aged 80)
Marylebone, London, England
Resting place Highgate Cemetery, London, England

Spouse(s) Muriel Hewitt (1924-1942)
Meriel Forbes (1944-1983)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Nominated: Best Supporting Actor
1949 The Heiress
1984 Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
BAFTA Awards
Best Actor
1952 The Sound Barrier

Sir Ralph David Richardson (19 December 1902 - 10 October 1983) was an English actor, one of a group of theatrical knights of the mid-20th century who, though more closely associated with the stage, did their best to make the transition to film.

Biography

Richardson was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. When he was a baby, his mother, Lydia Russell, left his father and took him with her to Gloucester, where he was raised in the Roman Catholic faith of his mother (his father and brothers were Quakers). His father supported them with a small allowance. Lydia Richardson wished Ralph to become a priest. Ralph was an altar boy in Brighton, England and was educated by the Xaverian Brothers, but was never particularly religious.

Career

Stage

Richardson made his West End début in 1926. Thereafter he became one of the Old Vic Theatre's major stars, one of his early big roles being Caliban to the Prospero of John Gielgud, a professional association that lasted for four decades. Richardson scored additional Old Vic triumphs as Enobarbus in Antony and Cleopatra, Toby Belch in Twelfth Night, and Bottom in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

At Malvern in 1932, he played Face in Ben Jonson's The Alchemist. In 1933 he played the title role in W. Somerset Maugham's final play Sheppey at Wyndham's Theatre, and became an undisputed West End star in The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse (1936).

After active service in World War II serving as a Lieutenant-Commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Richardson joined Laurence Olivier and the director John Burrell as co-director of the Old Vic Theatre, where his notable roles included Falstaff (to Olivier's Hotspur), Bluntschli in Arms and the Man (Olivier as Sergius), Cyrano in Cyrano de Bergerac, and Peer Gynt, in which Olivier took the cameo role of the Button Moulder. Richardson also directed Alec Guinness in Richard II, taking on the role of John of Gaunt in the production when the Old Vic governors insisted that either Richardson or Olivier were contractually obligated to act in all the productions. After he was dismissed at the Old Vic, Richardson appeared with the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-on-Avon but had mixed results, with his 1952 performance as Macbeth being the greatest failure of his career. He fared better at the Bristol Old Vic in his appearance as Volpone to Anthony Quayle's Mosca in Ben Jonson's Volpone, in the title role of Timon of Athens in his 1952 return to the Old Vic, and on Broadway in his Tony-nominated role in The Waltz of the Toreadors (1957). He made a misstep in turning down the English language premiere of Waiting for Godot, a decision that he regretted for the remainder of his life.

In 1960s he appeared successfully as Sir Peter Teazle in John Gielgud's production of School for Scandal, as the Father in Six Characters in Search of an Author in London (1963), a return to Nick Bottom in A Midsummer Night's Dream (1964) and the original production of Joe Orton's controversial farce What The Butler Saw in the West End at the Queen's Theatre in 1969 with Stanley Baxter, Coral Browne, and Hayward Morse.

In the 1970s he appeared in the West End (for example in William Douglas-Home's play Lloyd George Knew My Father with Peggy Ashcroft), and with the National Theatre under Peter Hall's direction, where among the classics he played Firs in The Cherry Orchard and the title role in John Gabriel Borkman along with Wendy Hiller and Peggy Ashcroft. He continued his long stage association with John Gielgud, appearing together in two new works, David Storey's Home and Harold Pinter's No Man's Land.

Radio and Television

From 1954 - 1955 he played the character of Dr. John Watson (mistakenly called 'James' in several episodes) in an American/BBC radio co-production of canonical Sherlock Holmes stories, which starred Gielgud as the famous consulting detective and featured Orson Welles as the villainous Professor Moriarty. In the 1960s he played Lord Emsworth on BBC television in dramatisations of P.G.Wodehouse's Blandings Castle stories, with his real-life wife Meriel Forbes playing his domineering sister Connie, and Stanley Holloway as his butler Beach.

Recordings

Richardson made several spoken word recordings for the Caedmon Audio label in the 1960s. He re-created his role as Cyrano de Bergerac opposite Anna Massey as Roxane, and played the title role in a complete recording of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar (play), with a cast that included Anthony Quayle as Brutus, John Mills as Cassius, and Alan Bates as Marc Antony. He also recorded some English Romantic poetry, such as The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, for the label.

Film

His film appearances included The Citadel, The Heiress (his first nomination for an Academy Award), Richard III (playing Buckingham to Olivier's Richard), Our Man in Havana (with Alec Guinness and Noel Coward), O Lucky Man!, Oh! What a Lovely War, Dragonslayer, Tales from the Crypt (as the Crypt Keeper himself) and Time Bandits. His final film appearance was as the sixth Earl of Greystoke in the 1983 movie Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, for which he was again nominated for an Academy Award.

Music

Richardson recorded the narration for Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, and the superscriptions for Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antartica - both with the London Symphony Orchestra, the Prokofiev conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent and the Vaughan Williams by André Previn.

Awards and honours

Richardson was knighted by King George VI in 1947. In 1963 he won the Best Actor Award at the Cannes Film Festival for Long Day's Journey Into Night. He won the BAFTA Award for Best British Actor for The Sound Barrier (1952), and was nominated on another three occasions. He was also nominated for three Tony Awards for his work on the New York stage, for his performances in The Waltz of the Toreadors, Home, and No Man's Land. He received Oscar nominations for The Heiress and Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, and the New York Film Critics Circle Awards for The Sound Barrier and Greystoke.

Family

He was a nephew of the mathematician Lewis Fry Richardson. He was married to the actress Meriel Forbes (a member of the theatrical Forbes-Robertson family).

Sir Ralph Richardson died of a stroke, aged 80, and was interred at Highgate Cemetery.

Trivia

Richardson habitually rode a motorbike even in his seventies. He rode a Norton Dominator and in his later years changed to a BMW.
Was part of a trio of great English stage actors, the other two being friends Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud. They appeared together in Olivier's Richard III (1955) and in several scenes of the mini series Wagner (1983), which was released shortly after Richardson's death. Sadly he is the least remembered of the trio, as people often quote 'Olivier and Gielgud', but forget Richardson. This may be due to the fact he did less film work, than Oliver and Gielgud, despite being the same calibre of actor as they were.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:14 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:18 am
Edmund Purdom

Birth name Edmund Anthony Cutlar Purdom
Born December 19, 1924 (1924-12-19) (age 83)
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England, UK

Edmund Anthony Cutlar Purdom, known as Edmund Purdom is an English actor. He was born on December 19, 1924 in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England.

Life and career

He was educated by the Jesuits at St Ignatius' College and by the Benedictines.

He began his acting career in 1945 on the stage, appearing in productions which included Romeo and Juliet and Molière's The Imaginary Invalid.

In 1951-52, he appeared in small roles with the Laurence Olivier/Vivien Leigh company on Broadway in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra and Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra when his good looks brought him to the attention of Hollywood. His appearance in small roles in Titanic and Julius Caesar led to his being cast in the leading role opposite Ann Blyth in the MGM musical The Student Prince in 1954, a part originally intended for Mario Lanza who was deemed too corpulent for the role. Purdom lip-synched to Lanza's voice.

His best-remembered role was as the title character in The Egyptian, 20th Century-Fox's most-lavish production of 1954 for which Marlon Brando had originally been cast. In the same year, he appeared in another MGM musical, Athena, opposite his future wife Linda Christian, Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds. He then played the title role in the biblical epic The Prodigal, MGM's most-lavish production of 1955. He partnered Ann Blyth again in the swashbuckling adventure, The King's Thief (1955) which also co-starred David Niven and George Sanders.

After that, his career as a major film star ran out of steam, with the exception of some rare cameo appearances, such as The Yellow Rolls-Royce in 1964.

Purdom relocated to Rome, Italy, where he first played parts in "sword and sandal" epics and has lived there ever since. He has continued to work extensively in Italian B-movies, on television and as a voice dubbing actor for many years (dubbing lines from Italian to English). In 1984, he directed his first and only film, Don't Open 'Til Christmas. Roman Catholic devotees will recognize his distinctive voice in the narration for a popular short documentary on the life of Padre Pio.

He has been married four times and divorced three times: his first three wives, all divorced, were Anita Philips (or Phillips), the mother of his children; Linda Christian in 1962, ex-wife of Tyrone Power; and Alicia Darr, of Polish Jewish extraction. In 2000 he married Vivienne.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:20 am
Cicely Tyson

Born December 19, 1933 (1933-12-19) (age 74)
New York City, New York, U.S.
Spouse(s) Trevil S.)
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
1994 Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All
Actress of the Year
1974 The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Movie
1974 The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman

Cicely Tyson (born December 19, 1933) is an Emmy Award-winning and Academy Award-nominated American actress.

Tyson's devout Christian parents came from the island of Nevis of Saint Kitts and Nevis in the West Indies, but Cicely was born and raised in Harlem, New York City.

Career

Tyson was discovered by a photographer for Ebony magazine, and became a popular fashion model. Her first film was an uncredited role in Carib Gold in 1957, but she went on to do television - the celebrated series East Side/West Side and the long-running soap opera The Guiding Light.

In 1961, Tyson appeared in the original cast of French playwright Jean Genet's "The Blacks", the longest running Off-Broadway non-musical of the decade, running for 1,408 performances. The original cast also featured James Earl Jones, Roscoe Lee Browne, Louis Gossett, Jr.,Godfrey Cambridge, Maya Angelou and Charles Gordone.

In 1966 she starred opposite Sammy Davis Jr. in the film, "A Man Called Adam", and in 1967, she appeared in The Comedians. The following year she had a featured role in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter.

In 1972, she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in the critically acclaimed Sounder. In 1974 she won two Emmy Awards for The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. Other acclaimed television roles included Roots, King, in which she portrayed Coretta Scott King, The Marva Collins Story, When No One Would Listen and Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All for which she received her third Emmy award.

In 2005, Tyson co-starred in the movies Because of Winn-Dixie and Diary of a Mad Black Woman. Also the same year she was honored by Oprah Winfrey at her Legends Ball.

Tyson co-founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem.

She was married to Miles Davis from 1981 to 1988.

The Cicely Tyson school of Performing and Fine Arts, a magnet school in East Orange, New Jersey was renamed in her honor.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:27 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:30 am
Robert Urich

Robert Urich (December 19, 1946 - April 16, 2002) was an actor, best known for playing private investigators on the television series Spenser: For Hire (1985-1988) and Vega$ (1978-1981). He also starred in numerous other television series over the years including: S.W.A.T. (1975), Soap (1977) and The Lazarus Man (1996).

Early years

He was of Rusyn and Slovak extraction and raised Roman Catholic in the small town of Toronto, Ohio. Due to the similarity in names with Toronto, Ontario, many sources list him incorrectly as being a Canadian. His second wife, Heather, actually is a Canadian from the latter city.

Urich attended Florida State University on a football scholarship. In 1968, he earned a bachelor's degree in Radio and Television Communications. He went on to Michigan State University after working in Ohio to earn a master's degree in Broadcast Research and Management.

Urich was first married to actress Barbara Rucker (1968-74)[1]. He later married actress Heather Menzies [2] in 1975, and they remained married until his death in 2002. Heather Menzies Urich had played one of the von Trapp children, Louisa, in the film version of The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews. Urich and Menzies adopted three children, Ryan, Emily and Allison. Like her husband, Menzies battled cancer (ovarian) and she is a cancer survivor. She works tirelessly with the Urich Fund for Sarcoma Research at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Acting career

Between 1973 and just prior to his death in 2002, Urich had lead or supporting roles in no less than 19 television series and miniseries (including several documentary programs). He also regularly hosted National Geographic TV specials. In 1992, Urich hosted the CBS TV special The Bat, the Cat, and the Penguin, which was a behind-the-scenes look of the upcoming motion picture Batman Returns. Most of his TV series were short-lived, however several were successes, including Vega$ and Spenser: For Hire. In the 1990s, Urich reprised the role of Spenser in several made-for-TV films. He also played a main character, Jake Spoon, in the acclaimed television miniseries Lonesome Dove, a role for which he received many positive reviews.

In 1996, Urich announced that he had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, synovial cell sarcoma, that attacks joints. The TV series he was working on at the time, The Lazarus Man, was doing well but was ultimately cancelled. His failing health was cited as the reason. Urich ultimately died from this disease, although he continued to appear in film and TV during treatment. His final TV series role was in the sitcom Emeril in 2001.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:33 am
Jennifer Beals

Born December 19, 1963 (1963-12-19) (age 44)
Chicago, Illinois
Spouse(s) Ken Dixon (1998-)
Alexandre Rockwell (1986-1996)

Jennifer Beals (born December 19, 1963) is an American film actress and former teen model. She is known for her roles as Alexandra "Alex" Owens in the 1983 film Flashdance and as Bette Porter on the lesbian-themed drama series The L Word. She has appeared in more than 50 movies.

Biography

Early life

Beals was born in Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of Jeanne, an elementary school teacher, and Alfred Beals, who owned a grocery store.[1] Her father was African-American and her mother was Irish American.[2][3][4][5] She has two brothers, Bobby and Gregory.[6] Her father died when Beals was ten years old and her mother re-married to Edward Cohen. She graduated from the Francis W. Parker School and Yale University, receiving a B.A. in American Literature.

Career

Beals had a minor role in the 1980 film My Bodyguard, and came to fame with her starring part in Flashdance. After the release of the film, it was revealed that some scenes in the movie where athletics were required were actually performed by double Marine Jahan. [7]

Beals stars in Showtime Network's The L Word, where she plays Bette Porter, an Ivy League educated lesbian.

Personal life

Beals was married to Alexandre Rockwell from 1986 to 1996. In 1998, she married Ken Dixon, a Canadian entrepreneur.[8] She and Dixon had a daughter in October 2005, and Dixon has two children from a previous marriage. Beals has described herself as a "spiritual person".[9]

Beals is a close friend of Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino often stayed at Beals' home while struggling as an aspiring director before Pulp Fiction. They appeared together in Four Rooms. She has been friends with actress Marlee Matlin since they met in an airport in the 1980s.[10]

Beals was a Celebrity Grand Marshal at the 2006 San Francisco Pride Parade. [11]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
A man riding his Harley was riding along a California beach when
suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in a booming voice, the
Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in all ways, I
will grant you one wish.

The biker pulled over and said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride
over anytime I want." The Lord said, "Your request is materialistic,
think of the enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking; the
supports required reaching the bottom of the Pacific and the concrete
and steel it would take! It will nearly exhaust several natural
resources. I can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your desire for
worldly things. Take a little more time and think of something that
could possibly help mankind."

The biker thought about it for a long time. Finally, he said, "Lord, I
wish that I and all men could understand women; I want to know how she
feels inside, what she's thinking when she gives me the silent
treatment, why she cries, what she means when she says nothing's wrong,
and how I can make a Woman truly happy."
The Lord replied, "You want two lanes or four on that bridge?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
Love it, Bob of Boston. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Thanks again for the great bio's, and while we await our Raggedy, how about one from the "Little Sparrow", Edith Piaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcJWaC-2Co
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:09 am
Aaah, Letty. Traumerei was beautiful. I didn't know youtube existed until I listened to WA2K. I love it. Did you enjoy Run for the Roses? Very Happy

Ralph Richardson, Edith Piaf, Edmond Purdom (with Bella Darvi), Cicely Tyson, Phil Och, Robert Urich and Jennifer Beals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1300000/images/_1300219_ralph_richardson150.jpg http://www.musicweb-international.com/nostalgia/2002/April02/Piaf.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Egyptian.jpeg/220px-Egyptian.jpeghttp://www.keepingfamilyfirst.org/images/cicely_tyson.jpghttp://www.7digital.com/shops/assets/sleeveart/00602498088180_182.JPEG
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/robert-urich1.jpghttp://images.askmen.com/women/actress_250/pictures_250/jennifer_beals/jennifer_beals_150.jpg
0 Replies