WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
David Ogden Stiers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born October 31, 1942 (1942-10-31) (age 65)
Peoria, Illinois
Years active 1971-present
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Nominated Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series
1981 - M*A*S*H
1982 - M*A*S*H
Nominated Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Special
1984 - The First Olympics: Athens 1896

David Ogden Stiers (born October 31, 1942) is an American character actor, voice actor and musician, most noted for his role in the television sitcom M*A*S*H, and the science fiction drama The Dead Zone. A connoisseur of classical music, Stiers has been a guest conductor for over 50 orchestras in North America and maintained a position as Associate Conductor of The Newport Symphony Orchestra and the Ernest Bloch Music Festival.[1][2]

Biography

Born in Peoria, Illinois, Stiers attended Urbana High School, along with film critic Roger Ebert. He later relocated to Eugene, Oregon, where he graduated high school and briefly attended University of Oregon. [3] He later ventured to San Francisco where he performed with the California Shakespeare Company, San Francisco Actors Workshop, and the improv group, The Committee, whose members included Rob Reiner and Howard Hesseman. Soon after, Stiers studied drama at Juilliard. During his studies, Stiers was mentored by accomplished theater actor John Houseman and would later join his City Center Acting Company.

Despite success in New York, Stiers returned to California and transitioned into television. His early credits included The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Kojak, and Rhoda. Stiers also appeared in the pilot of Charlie's Angels and was offered a role on the show, however, Stiers turned down the opportunity. [2] In 1977, Stiers joined the iconic television juggernaut M*A*S*H.

As Major Charles Emerson Winchester III, Stiers filled the void created by the departure of Larry Linville's Frank Burns. In contrast to Linville's Burns character, Stiers was a different type of foil to Alan Alda's Hawkeye Pierce and Mike Farrell's B.J. Hunnicutt. For his portrayal of the pompous, Boston aristocrat, Stiers received two Emmy Award nominations. Following the completion of M*A*S*H, Stiers expanded his work on television with regular guest appearances in North and South, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Murder She Wrote and Frasier. He also appeared in two unsuccessful television projects, Love & Money and Justice League of America. In 2002, Stiers has had a recurring role as Reverend Purdy on the successful USA Network show The Dead Zone with Anthony Michael Hall. In 2006, he was cast as the recurring character Oberoth in Stargate Atlantis.

With a vast television resume, Stiers expanded into film as well. His early films included Jack Nicholson's Drive, He Said and the George Burns comedy, Oh, God!. He followed up with roles in Better Off Dead, The Accidental Tourist, and Doc Hollywood. During the 1990s, Stiers joined Woody Allen's ensemble cast in Shadows and Fog, Mighty Aphrodite, Everyone Says I Love You and The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. His most recent film appearance was in the 2001 Frank Capra-esque film The Majestic with Jim Carrey.

With a distinct, authoritative voice, Stiers has provided voice work for dozens of film and television projects. His first work was on George Lucas' critically acclaimed THX 1138. Stiers has also narrated PBS documentary films such as Ric Burns' project New York: A Documentary Film and The American Experience. Furthermore, he has collaborated with Disney on eight animated features such as Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Lilo and Stitch, Spirited Away. In recent years, Stiers has lent his voice to several video games, including Icewind Dale, Kingdom Hearts II, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and Myst V: End of Ages.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
John Candy

Birth name John Franklin Candy
Born October 31, 1950(1950-10-31)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Died March 4, 1994 (aged 43)
Durango, Mexico
Spouse(s) Rosemary Margaret Hobor (1979-1994)
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program
1981 SCTV Network 90

John Franklin Candy (October 31, 1950 - March 4, 1994) was a Canadian comedian and actor. Candy rose to fame as a member of the Toronto, Canada branch of The Second City, often playing lovable losers and characters with bad luck but big hearts. While his film roles were mostly comedic, such as those in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck, he had dramatic roles in movies such as Only the Lonely, Cool Runnings and JFK.

Biography

Early life and career

Candy, the younger of two sons, was born in Newmarket, Ontario, to Sidney James Candy and Evangeline Aker.[1] He was raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. His father died quite young from a heart attack. He attended the Neil McNeil Catholic High School, an all-boys, public, Catholic school in Toronto, where he played football.

Candy's first movie role was in the 1973 film Class of '44, in which he made a small uncredited appearance. He then appeared in several other low-budget films in the 1970s. In 1976, Candy played a supporting role (with Rick Moranis) on Peter Gzowski's short-lived, late-night television talk show, Ninety Minutes Live. That same year, as a member of Toronto's branch of The Second City, he gained wide North American popularity, which grew when he became a cast member on the influential Toronto-based comedy-variety show Second City Television (SCTV). NBC picked the show up in 1981 and it quickly became a fan favourite.

1980s

Among Candy's memorable characterizations for SCTV were unscrupulous street-beat TV personality Johnny LaRue, 3-D horror auteur Doctor Tongue, sycophantic and easily amused talk-show sidekick William B. Williams, and quiescent Melonville Mayor Tommy Shanks. Other characters included cheerful Leutonian clarinetist Yosh Shmenge, who was half of the Happy Wanderers and the subject of the mockumentary The Last Polka, folksy fishin' musician Gil Fisher, handsome if accent-challenged TV actor Steve Roman, hapless children's entertainer Mr. Messenger, corrupt soap opera doctor William Wainwright and smut merchant Harry, "the Guy With the Snake on His Face".

Mimicry was one of Candy's talents, which he used often at SCTV. Celebrities impersonated by Candy include Jerry Mathers, Divine (Glen Milstead), Orson Welles, Julia Child, Richard Burton, Darryl Sittler, Luciano Pavarotti, Jimmy the Greek, Tip O'Neill, Don Rickles, Curly Howard, Merlin Olsen, Jackie Gleason, Tom Selleck, Gordon Pinsent, Ed Asner, Doug McGrath and Hervé Villechaize.

By 1980, he began a more active film career having appeared as a soldier in Steven Spielberg's big-budget comedy 1941 and had a supporting role as a jovial parole officer in The Blues Brothers. A year later, Candy played the lovable, mild-mannered Army recruit Dewey Oxberger in 1981's Stripes, one of the most successful films of the year. In the next two years, Candy did a small cameo in Harold Ramis' National Lampoon's Vacation, appeared on Saturday Night Live twice (hosting in 1983) while still appearing on SCTV.

In 1983, Candy was approached to play the character of accountant Louis Tully in Ghostbusters (completed and released 1984), but ultimately did not get the role due to his conflicting ideas of how to play the character; the part went instead to Rick Moranis. (However, Candy was one of the many celebrities who appeared chanting "Ghostbusters" in Ray Parker, Jr.'s hit single for the movie). In 1984, Candy played Tom Hanks's womanizing brother in the hit romantic comedy Splash, considered to be his breakout role.

Throughout the latter half of the 1980s, Candy worked often taking roles in substandard films (even performing the voice of a talking horse in the Bobcat Goldthwait comedy Hot to Trot) just to keep working. Although Candy continued to play supporting roles in films like Spaceballs, he was awarded the opportunity to headline or co-star in such successful comedy films as Planes, Trains & Automobiles (often considered his best performance), Brewster's Millions, The Great Outdoors, Who's Harry Crumb?, Armed and Dangerous and Uncle Buck.

He also continued to provide memorable bit roles, including a "weird" disc jockey in the comic musical film Little Shop of Horrors, and a state trooper in the Sesame Street film Follow That Bird.

He also produced and starred in an Saturday morning animated series on NBC entitled Camp Candy in 1989. The show was set in a fictional summer camp run by Candy, featured his two children in supporting roles, and also spawned a brief comic book series published by Marvel Comics' Star Comics imprint.

1990s

In the early 1990s, Candy's career went into decline after he appeared in a string of critical and commercial failures, including Nothing But Trouble, Delirious and Once Upon A Crime although he did appear in major successes such as Rookie of the Year and Cool Runnings. Candy also appeared as a supporting actor as Gus: The Polka King of the Mid-West in the Christmas comedy Home Alone.

Candy attempted to reinvigorate his acting career by broadening his range and playing more dramatic roles. In 1991, Candy appeared in a light romantic comedy-drama, Only the Lonely which saw him as a Chicago cop torn between his overbearing mother (Maureen O'Hara) and his new girlfriend (Ally Sheedy). The same year and in rare form, Candy played a dramatic role as Dean Andrews, a shady Southern lawyer in Oliver Stone's JFK.

In 1991, Bruce McNall, Wayne Gretzky, and Candy became co-owners of the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts. The celebrity ownership group attracted a lot of attention in Canada and the team spent a significant amount of money, even signing some highly-touted National Football League players. Candy worked on drafts for a character, "Redfeather", for Pocahontas. However, Redfeather was replaced by Meeko & Flit.

Death

Candy died in his sleep on March 4, 1994 while on location in Durango, Mexico, filming Wagons East!. He was 43 years old. An autopsy revealed that he had suffered a massive heart attack resulting from the complete blockage of one of his coronary arteries.

At the time of his death, Candy had been making a concerted effort to improve his health; he had recently quit smoking and was losing weight. As his family had a history of heart disease, he had been warned by doctors several times before to reduce his weight but had previously refused, claiming that his portly appearance helped him secure film roles[citation needed]. In spite of this assertion, however, there is public evidence to indicate that Candy was highly self-conscious about his weight all his life. A few years before his death, he canceled a scheduled appearance hosting a CBC awards show because the ceremony's advertising campaign jokingly touted him as "the biggest star in Canada". (Leslie Nielsen hosted the show instead.)

Candy is survived by his wife, Rosemary Margaret (Hobor), whom he married in 1979, and their two children, Jennifer and Christopher. His funeral Mass was held at St. Martin of Tours Church. Candy is interred in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.

On March 18, 1994, a special memorial service for John Candy produced by his former improv troupe The Second City was broadcast live on CHCH TV (Hamilton, Ontario) and transmitted via satellite to eight stations across Canada.[2]

Legacy

Wagons East was completed using a body double in Candy's place.[3] Released in the summer of 1994, critics and audiences alike denounced the film as one of the worst Candy ever made.

Candy's final completed movie was Canadian Bacon, a satirical comedy by Michael Moore that was released the year after his death. Candy played American sheriff Bud Boomer who led the "attack" against Canada.

Candy recorded a voice for the TV film The Magic 7 in the early-1990s. The film remained in production for years due to animation difficulties and production delays, and eventually it was shelved. Plans were made to launch the film sometime in 2005 or 2006, but to date it has not been released.

Candy was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame. In May 2006, Candy became one of the first four entertainers ever honoured by Canada Post by being featured on a postage stamp.

Blues Brothers 2000 is dedicated to three people, including Candy, who played a major role in the original Blues Brothers.

The John Candy Visual Arts Studio at Neil McNeil Catholic High School, in Toronto, Ontario was dedicated in his honour after his death. John Candy, one of the school's most famous alumni, said during one of his annual visits to the school, "My success is simply rooted in the values and discipline and respect for others that I was taught at Neil McNeil."

A tribute to Candy, to be hosted by Dan Aykroyd, is planned as part of the 2007 Grey Cup festivities in Toronto in November 2007. [1]

The 1994 Ween album Chocolate and Cheese is dedicated to Candy.[citation needed]Inside Sleevenote of Album FNCD314 dedicated in loving memory to John Candy (1950-1994)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
Ponderings

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?

Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?

Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 01:27 pm
First, allow us to thank our Raggedy for the great quartet of famous folks. Great, PA. and not one woman among them.

Hawkman, good to see you back with your plethora of bio's. I was particularly saddened by Michael Landon as my dear friend Bill went the same way as did he, and that is a sad reminder.

Love your ponderings, Bob of Boston. We live in a strange linguistic world, no? I did enjoy researching the musical Ragtime. Didn't know that it was based on a rewrite of the first one.

Well, here's another from Tom for Raggedy, and for all the parents out there who do wonder about our schools.

What Did You Learn In School Today
Tom Paxton

What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
I learned that Washington never told a lie
I learned that soldiers seldom die
I learned that everybody's free
That's what the teacher said to me
And that's what I learned in school today
That's what I learned in school

I learned that policemen are my friends
I learned that justice never ends
I learned that murderers die for their crimes
Even if we make a mistake sometimes

I learned that war is not so bad
I learned about the great ones we have had
We fought in Germany and in France
And someday I might get my chance

I learned that our government must be strong
It's always right and never wrong
Our leaders are the finest men
So we elect them again and again

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:32 pm
I'm blowin down this old dusty road
I'm a-blowin down this old dusty road
I'm a-blowin down this old dusty road, Lord, Lord
And I ain't a-gonna be treated this a-way

I'm a-goin where the water taste like wine
I'm a-goin where the water taste like wine
I'm a-goin where the water taste like wine, Lord
And I ain't a-gonna be treated this way

I'm a-goin where the dust storms never blow
I'm a-goin where them dust storms never blow
I'm a-goin where them dust storms never blow, blow, blow

They say I'm a dust bowl refugee
Yes, they say I'm a dust bowl refugee
They say I'm a dust bowl refugee, Lord, Lord

I'm a-lookin for a job at honest pay
I'm a-lookin for a job at honest pay
I'm a-lookin for a job at honest pay, Lord, Lord

My children need three square meals a day
Now, my children need three square meals a day
My children need three square meals a day, Lord

It takes a ten-dollar shoe to fit my feet
It takes a ten-dollar shoe to fit my feet
It takes a ten-dollar shoe to fit my feet, Lord, Lord

Your a-two-dollar shoe hurts my feet
Your two-dollar shoe hurts my feet
Yes, your two-dollar shoe hurts my feet, Lord, Lord

I'm a-goin down this old dusty road
I'm blowin down this old dusty road
I'm a-blowin down this old dusty road, Lord, Lord

Woody Guthrie
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 06:19 pm
edgar, before I acknowledge your great song by Woody, I would like to thank the following friends for making my birthday a wonderful occasion.

Thanks to:
you
Beth and Setanta
Osso
M.A. and seaglass
Mr. Patel
Urs
Lightwizard
Noddy
And, of course, my family.

and now, folks, for a song that reminds me so much of edgar's.

New River Train
Lyrics: Traditional
Music: Traditional

Played by Jerry Garcia with the Black Mountain Boys in March 1964.

Now darling you can't love one
Darling you can't love one
You can't love one and have any fun
Darling you can't love one

Riding on that New River train
Same old train that brought me here
Is going to carry me away again

Darling you can't love two
You can't love two and still be true

Darling you can't love three
Darling you can't love four
You can't love seven and still go to heaven
Darling you can't love nine

0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 07:31 pm
Happy Birthday Letty,

Bonfires dot the rolling hills
Figures dance around and around
To drums that pulse out echoes of darkness
Moving to the pagan sound.
Somewhere in a hidden memory
Images float before my eyes
Of fragrant nights of straw and of bonfires
And dancing till the next sunrise.

I can see lights in the distance
Trembling in the dark cloak of night
Candles and lanterns are dancing, dancing
A waltz on All Souls Night.

Figures of cornstalks bend in the shadows
Held up tall as the flames leap high
The green knight holds the holly bush
To mark where the old year passes by.

A waltz on All Souls Night.

Bonfires dot the rolling hillsides
Figures dance around and around
To drums that pulse out echoes of darkness
And moving to the pagan sound.
Standing on the bridge that crosses
The river that goes out to the sea
The wind is full of a thousand voices
They pass by the bridge and me.

AWaltz on All Souls Night.

AWaltz on All Souls Night.

All Souls Night
Loreena McKennitt
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 07:43 pm
Mikey, what a delightful birthday song. Yes, Irish, a waltz on All Souls night. Thank you for that haunting and winsome song.

Well, folks, it's time for me to retire. What began in sadness has ended up in gladness. Ok, so that rhyme sucks. Razz

http://www.atpm.com/10.08/readers/images/rodriguez-bird-of-paradise-420.jpg

Artist: Marty Robbins
Song: Sweet bird of paradise
Album: Musical Journey To Caribbean & Mexico

Love with it's wings
Flies far beyond my reach
Love, hear my call
Fly closer, I beseech

Oh, fly to me (oh, fly to me)
Sweet bird of Paradise
Don't let me be
Life's empty sacrifice
Why must you be (why must you be)
Always a mystery
Oh, fly to me
Sweet bird of Paradise

Love with it's wings
Flies far beyond the blue
Love, heard no call
So I cannot pursue

Farewell to thee (farewell to thee)
Sweet bird of Paradise
You've let me be
Life's empty sacrifice
Now all you'd be (now all you'd be)
Is just a memory
Farewell to thee
Sweet bird of Paradise

Goodnight and thank you all.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:19 pm
Long Time Gone by The Dixie Chicks

Daddy sits on a' front porch swinging
Looking out on a vacant field
Used to be filled with burley t'bacca
Now he knows it never will
Brothers' found work in Indiana
Sisters a nurse at the old folks home
Mama still cooking too much for supper
And me I've been a long time gone

Chorus:
Been a long time gone
No, I ain't hoed a row since I don't know when
Long time gone
And it ain't coming back again

Deliah plays that ol' church pian'a
Sitting out on her daddy's farm
She always thought that we'd be together
Lord I never meant to do her harm
Said she could hear me singin' in the choir
Me, I heard another song
I caught wind and hit the road runnin'
And Lord, I've been a long time gone

Chorus:
Been a long time gone
Lord, I ain't had a prayer since I don't know when
Long time gone
And it ain't comin' back again

(Instrumental)

(Bridge)
Now me, I went to Nashville,
Tryin' to beat the big deal
Playin' down on Broadway
Gettin' there the hard way
Living from a tip jar
Sleeping in my car
Hocking my guitar
Yeah I'm gonna be a star

Now, me and Deliah singing every Sunday
Watching the children and the garden grow
We listen to the radio to hear what's cookin'
But the music ain't got no soul
Now they sound tired but they don't sound Haggard
They've got money but they don't have Cash
They got Junior but they don't have Hank
I think, I think, I think

The rest is a long time gone
No, I ain't hit the roof since I don't know when
Long time gone
And it ain't coming back
I said a long time gone
No, I ain't honked the horn since I don't know when
Long time gone
And it ain't coming back again

I said a long time, long time, long time gone
Well it's been a long time

Long time, long time, long time gone
Oh, it's been a long time gone

Long time, long time, long time gone
Yeah yeah
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:58 pm
little late as usual, but hope the PD had a delightful birthday. i looked long and hard to find this birthday poem... Laughing

http://www.whitehouse.org/firstlady/images/birthday-poem.gif

(it's a spoof, in case you hadn't guessed) :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 03:59 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

Beth, love those Dixie Chicks. Have to admit they got guts, TO. Thanks.

Ah, M.D., I love that parody. Nice combination of songs culminating in "Tell Laura I Love Her". Thanks, island man, and your contribution was worth the wait. Razz

Still dark here so how about a small candle to light the darkness.

http://www.novembersongs.com/buttons/start_candle_up.jpg

And, listeners, to begin the November day, a poem.

November Morning
by Evaleen Stein

A tingling, misty marvel
Blew hither in the night,
And now the little peach-trees
Are clasped in frozen light.

Upon the apple branches
An icy film is caught,
With trailing threads of gossamer
In pearly patterns wrought.

The autumn sun, in wonder,
Is gayly peering through
This silver tissued network
Across the frosty blue.

The weather vane is fire tipped,
The honeysuckle shows
A dazzling icy splendor,
And crystal is the rose.

Around the eaves are fringes
Of icicles that seem
To mock the summer rainbows
With many colored gleam.

Along the walk, the pebbles
Are each a precious stone;
The grass is tasseled hoarfrost,
The clover jewel sown.

Such sparkle, sparkle, sparkle
Fills all the frosty air,
Oh, can it be that darkness
Is ever anywhere!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:14 am
Powder Your Face With Sunshine (Smile Smile Smile)
Evelyn Knight

[Words and Music by Carmen Lombardo and Stanley Rochinski]

Powder your face with sunshine
Put on a great big smile
Make up your eyes with laughter
Folks will be laughing with you in a little while
Whistle a tune of gladness
Gloom was never in style
The future's brighter
When hearts are lighter
Smile, smile, smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:07 am
My word, edgar. I know that song, Texas, but I have never heard of Evelyn Knight, so I did a bit of research.

Evelyn Knight (born 1918 in Washington, DC died September 28, 2007 in San Jose, CA) was an American singer of the 1940s and 1950s. In 1948, she recorded "A Little Bird Told Me" with the Stardusters, originally intended for Paula Watson, which topped charts for seven weeks and stayed on for five months.
Knight had another hit with "Buttons and Bows" in 1948, which Bob Hope also sang in the film The Paleface. The song was also recorded by and successful for Dinah Shore. In 1949, Knight recorded "Powder Your Face with Sunshine," "It's Too Late Now," and "You're So Understanding," all of which were top 25 hits. In 1950, she released "Candy and Cake," originally sung by Mindy Carson, and "All Dressed Up to Smile" with the Ray Charles singers. In 1951, she recorded a duet with country singer Red Foley called "My Heart Cries for You."
Her television appearances included several guest spots on The Ed Sullivan Show and The Colgate Comedy Hour.
After her successful career as a singer/performer, she was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. After her first husband died, she married songwriter Johnny Lehman.

Wow! that woman just died in September? Shocked

I watched some golden oldies on AMC last evening. One was a movie with a very young Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Hey, folks. They were two damned fine actors, and the plot presaged the healing and destructive effect of radiation.

Being a creative genius has it's destructive effect as well.

Marshall McLuhan was a prophet, methinks. He observed that all inventions are an extension of innovation, and then we become prisoners of the results.

And that is my op. ed. for the day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:22 am
http://blog.cleveland.com/pdworld/2007/07/medium_29ASOLDIERS.jpg

What a fantastic collage of Evelyn.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:48 am
Happy Belated Birthday, Letty! You are such a lady! All I can think of, is the song,
"There's a Song in my Heart"! There's no other way to describe the sunshine, you flood into my life! It's such a Joy to read and sing along with you! As Perry Como would say, "Sing along with me, I'm on my way to the stars"! Love you dearly,
Sharon
Letty wrote:
Time for me to say goodnight, folks. Tomorrow, I have a heavy decision to make, and this song has been running through my mind all day.

Lead Kindly Light

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom, lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on.
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I
Have loved long since, and lost awhile!

Meantime, along the narrow rugged path, Thyself hast trod,
Lead, lead me home in childlike faith, home to my God.
To rest forever after earthly strife
In the calm light of everlasting life.

John Henry Newman, cardinal

Cardinal Newman was attempting to decide whether to remain a Roman Catholic or become a protestant. He chose not to become a protestant.

Incidentally, the lyrics have nothing to do with dying, just making a choice.

Goodnight, my friends
From Letty with love

Cool Embarrassed
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:09 am
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:13 am
Good morning WA2K.

Oh my goodness - I missed Letty's birthday?

Well, I imagine your room is full of roses by now and that you don't want to even see another birthday cake until next year so I got this for you with a belated Happy Birthday wish and many more wishes for a wonderful year to come.

http://www.jewelsforme.com/Graphics/Jewelry-Opal.jpg
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:16 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:18 am
Looks like it's going to be one of those days. C'est la vie.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:21 am
Betsy Palmer

Born November 1, 1926 (1926-11-01) (age 81)
East Chicago, Indiana

Betsy Palmer (born November 1, 1926) is an American actress. Probably best known for playing the part of Jason Voorhees's mother Pamela in the horror film Friday the 13th (1980), she has appeared in numerous movies, TV programs and game shows.

Palmer was born Patricia Betsy Hrunek in East Chicago, Indiana to Marie (Love) and Vincent R. Hrunek.[1] She graduated from DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois.

Palmer got her first acting job in 1951 when she joined the cast of the 15 minute long, daily soap opera Miss Susan which was produced in Philadelphia. She was "discovered" for this role while enjoying a party in the apartment of Frank Sutton (Sgt. Carter of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.). She had been in New York City less than one week. She was a long-time panelist on the panel show I've Got a Secret (from 1957 to 1967). Palmer played Lt. Ann Girard (the most prominent female character) in the movie Mister Roberts (1955) and the character of Carol Lee Phillips in the film Queen Bee (1956) starring actress legend Joan Crawford. She starred alongside Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins in the low budget Western The Tin Star (1957), which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing, Story or Screenplay.

Palmer on I've Got A SecretIronically, if it hadn't been for the fact that she needed a new car, Palmer would not have taken her most famous role in Friday the 13th. She recounts, in an interview, her initial reaction to the film was "What a piece of junk! Nobody is ever going to see this piece of crap".[2] She has since embraced her role in the film, appearing in the 2006 documentary Betsy Palmer:A Scream Queen Legend.

From 1989 to 1990, she appeared on the CBS prime time soap opera, Knots Landing as "Aunt Ginny Bullock," the aunt of Valene Ewing (played by series star Joan Van Ark). She acted in a Mayfield Dinner Theatre production of "On Golden Pond" in 1997 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, playing the role of Ethel Thayer. Now 80, Palmer continues to act. In 2005, she provided the voice of the title character, the ghost of a witch, in Bell Witch: The Movie. In 2006, she appeared in the independent horror film Penny Dreadful and in 2007, she appeared as the older version of the title character in Waltzing Anna.
0 Replies