WA2K Radio is now on the air

dyslexia

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:00 am
how I'm feeling today

Broken windows and empty hallways,
a pale dead moon in a sky streaked with grey.
Human kindness is overflowing,
and I think it's gonna rain today.

Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles,
the frozen smiles to chase love away.

Lonely, lonely.
Tin can at my feet,
I think I'll kick it down the street.
That's the way to treat a friend.

Bright before me the signs implore me:
Help the needy and show them the way.

Lonely, so lonely.
Tin can at my feet,
I think I'll kick it down the street.
That's the way to treat a friend.

Bright before me the signs implore me:
Help the needy and show them the way.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 04:06 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Wow! a whole lot of music going on, and I would like to thank edgar, Dutchy, our Raggedy, and especially the dys for his contribution. Nice to see you back, cowboy, and hope things are looking better for yourself and the Lady Diane.

In anticipation of the hawkman, I found that today is Dylan Thomas' birthday, and this poem by him is beautiful and perfect for our listeners.

POEM IN OCTOBER

It was my thirtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
And the mussel pooled and the heron
Priested shore
The morning beckon
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of sailing boats on the webbed wall
Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping town and set forth.

My birthday began with the water-
Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name
Above the farms and the white horses
And I rose
In a rainy autumn
And walked abroad in shower of all my days
High tide and the heron dived when I took the road
Over the border
And the gates
Of the town closed as the town awoke.

A springful of larks in a rolling
Cloud and the roadside bushes brimming with whistling
Blackbirds and the sun of October
Summery
On the hill's shoulder,
Here were fond climates and sweet singers suddenly
Come in the morning where I wandered and listened
To the rain wringing
Wind blow cold
In the wood faraway under me.

Pale rain over the dwindling harbour
And over the sea wet church the size of a snail
With its horns through mist and the castle
Brown as owls
But all the gardens
Of spring and summer were blooming in the tall tales
Beyond the border and under the lark full cloud.
There could I marvel
My birthday
Away but the weather turned around.

It turned away from the blithe country
And down the other air and the blue altered sky
Streamed again a wonder of summer
With apples
Pears and red currants
And I saw in the turning so clearly a child's
Forgotten mornings when he walked with his mother
Through the parables
Of sunlight
And the legends of the green chapels

And the twice told fields of infancy
That his tears burned my cheeks and his heart moved in mine.
These were the woods the river and the sea
Where a boy
In the listening
Summertime of the dead whispered the truth of his joy
To the trees and the stones and the fish in the tide.
And the mystery
Sang alive
Still in the water and singing birds.

And there could I marvel my birthday
Away but the weather turned around. And the true
Joy of the long dead child sang burning
In the sun.
It was my thirtieth
Year to heaven stood there then in the summer noon
Though the town below lay leaved with October blood.
O may my heart's truth
Still be sung
On this high hill in a year's turning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:27 pm
She's got everything she needs,
She's an artist, she don't look back.
She's got everything she needs,
She's an artist, she don't look back.
She can take the dark out of the nighttime
And paint the daytime black.

You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees.
You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees.
But you will wind up peeking through a keyhole
Down upon your knees.

She never stumbles,
She's got no place to fall.
She never stumbles,
She's got no place to fall.
She's nobody's child,
The Law can't touch her at all.

She wears an Egyptian ring
That sparkles before she speaks.
She wears an Egyptian ring
That sparkles before she speaks.
She's a hypnotist collector,
You are a walking antique.

Bow down to her on Sunday,
Salute her when her birthday comes.
Bow down to her on Sunday,
Salute her when her birthday comes.
For Halloween buy her a trumpet
And for Christmas, get her a drum.

She Belongs to Me
Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:45 pm
Ah, that Dylan man, edgar. Wonder who the "she" is? the one who must be obeyed? Whoever, Texas, the line "she wears an Egyptian ring" set off a Pavlov bell in my head.

The Bangles

http://www.solarnavigator.net/music/music_images/The_Bangles_1980s_girl_band.jpg

Walk Like An Egyptian Lyrics

All the old paintings on the tombs
They do the sand dance don't you know
If they move too quick (oh whey oh)
They're falling down like a domino

All the bazaar men by the Nile
They got the money on a bet
Gold crocodiles (oh whey oh)
They snap their teeth on your cigarette

Foreign types with the hookah pipes say
Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh
Walk like an Egyptian

Blonde waitresses take their trays
They spin around and they cross the floor
They've got the moves (oh whey oh)
You drop your drink then they bring you more

All the school kids so sick of books
They like the punk and the metal band
When the buzzer rings (oh whey oh)
They're walking like an Egyptian

All the kids in the marketplace say
Walk like an Egyptian

Slide your feet up the street bend your back
Shift your arm then you pull it back
Life is hard you know (oh whey oh)
So strike a pose on a Cadillac

If you want to find all the cops
They're hanging out in the donut shop
They sing and dance (oh whey oh)
Spin the clubs cruise down the block

All the Japanese with their yen
The party boys call the Kremlin
And the Chinese know (oh whey oh)
They walk the line like Egyptian

All the cops in the donut shop say
Walk like an Egyptian
Walk like an Egyptian

Sure do miss Aquiunk. Hope he is well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 07:39 pm
Did I mention that I miss the pup and the hawk?

We all do.

Today is Teddy Roosevelt's birthday

http://www.dba-oracle.com/images/a_teddy_roosevelt.jpg

Here's to Teddy from Elvis.

Oh baby let me be, your lovin' teddy bear
Put a chain around my neck, and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be (oh let him be)
Your teddy bear
I don't wanna be your tiger
'Cause tigers play too rough
I don't wanna be your lion
'Cause lions ain't the kind you love enough
I just wanna be, your teddy bear
Put a chain around my neck and lead me anywhere
Your teddy bear
Baby let me be, around you every night
Run your fingers through my hair
And cuddle me real tight
Your teddy bear
I don't wanna be your tiger
'Cause tigers play too rough
I don't wanna be your lion
'Cause lions ain't the kind you love enou-ou-ou-ough
Just wanna be, your teddy bear
Put a chain around my neck and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be (oh let him be) your teddy bear
Oh let me be (oh let him be) your teddy bear...
I just wanna be your teddy bear (ooh...)

Goodnight, all
From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:39 pm
The Golden Age of Radio
Instead of an actor, tonight features a show.

The Whistler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Whistler was one of American radio's most popular mystery dramas, with a 13-year run from May 16, 1942 until September 22, 1955.The Whistler was the most popular West Coast-originated program with its listeners for many years. It was sponsored by the Signal Oil Company: "Let that whistle be your signal for the Signal Oil program, The Whistler." The writing was first class for its genre, and it added a slightly macabre element of humor to its often-paranoid crime stories.

Writer-producer J. Donald Wilson established the tone of the show during its first two years, and he was followed in 1944 by producer-director George Allen. Other directors included Sterling Tracy and Sherman Marks with final scripts by Joel Malone and Harold Swanton. A total of 692 episodes were produced, of which over 200 no longer have copies in existence. In 1946, a local Chicago version of The Whistler with local actors aired Sundays on WBBM, sponsored by Meister Brau beer.

Episodes of The Whistler began with the ominous narration:

I am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak.
Those opening words were spoken along with the echo of footsteps and Wilbur Hatch's 13-note theme, whistled weekly by Dorothy Roberts for 13 years. Bill Forman had the title role of host and narrator. Others who portrayed the Whistler at various times were Gale Gordon (Lucille Ball's future television nemesis), Joseph Kearns (played Mr. Wilson on TV series Dennis the Menace), Marvin Miller (soon the announcer for The Bickersons and, later, television's Michael Anthony on The Millionaire), Bill Johnstone (who played The Shadow on radio 1938-1943) and Everett Clarke.

The stories followed an effective formula in which a person's criminal acts were typically undone by their own stupidity. Ironic twist endings were common, as they had been on the show that most obviously influenced it, The Shadow. The Whistler narrated, often commenting directly upon the action in the manner of a Greek chorus, taunting the criminal from an omniscient perspective. The Whistler seldom featured any major Hollywood stars, but the quality of writing and performance made it a radio mainstay.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:18 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, I vaguely recall that there were Whistler movies, but nothing more. I wish I could remember the notes to that whistle.

http://www.artie.com/gifs/arg-radio.gif

Instead of an early morning song, how about some news on the home front, folks.

Thousands call for swift end to Iraq war
By JASON DEAREN, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - Thousands of people called for a swift end to the war in Iraq as they marched through downtown on Saturday, chanting and carrying signs that read: "Wall Street Gets Rich, Iraqis and GIs Die" or "Drop Tuition Not Bombs."

The streets were filled with thousands as labor union members, anti-war activists, clergy and others rallied near City Hall before marching to Dolores Park.

Protests
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:22 am
Elsa Lanchester

Born October 28, 1902(1902-10-28)
Lewisham, London, England
Died December 26, 1986 (aged 84)
Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California

Elsa Lanchester(October 28, 1902 - December 26, 1986 in Woodland Hills, California) was an Oscar-nominated English character actress who became a naturalized American citizen in 1950 along with her husband, actor Charles Laughton. She is best remembered for her role as the title character in Bride of Frankenstein (1935).

Early life

Lanchester was born Elizabeth Sullivan Lanchester in Lewisham, London, England [1]. Her parents, James Sullivan and Edith Lanchester, were considered Bohemian, and refused to legalize their union in any conventional way to satisfy the era's conservative society. Edith's parents even successfully sent her to an asylum for a while, as she refused to wed James even if she wanted to live with him. An older sibling, Waldo (b. 1898), completed the family.

As a child, Elsa studied dance in Paris under Isadora Duncan, whom she disliked. When the school was discontinued due to the start of First World War she returned to England. At that point (she was about twelve years of age) she considered herself capable to teach dancing in the Isadora Duncan style (despite her own scathing remarks about her former teacher's style) and, very enterprisingly, started to give classes to children of her South London neighbourhood, with which she earned a welcome bit of extra income in her household.

Career

Lanchester married actor Charles Laughton in 1929 [2], and one of her first screen appearances was opposite him in The Private Life of Henry VIII (as a highly comical Anne of Cleves). This and other appearances in British films helped her gain the title role in Bride of Frankenstein (1935). She played a comical role in the otherwise gripping 1948 thriller, The Big Clock.

She appeared again with her husband in the screen version of Agatha Christie's play Witness for the Prosecution (1957), for which both received Academy Award nominations -- she for Best Supporting Actress, and Laughton for Best Actor. Neither won. However, Lanchester did win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for the film. Lanchester was previously nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, for Come to the Stable, in 1950.

Lanchester is also known for her appearances in a few Walt Disney films including: Mary Poppins, That Darn Cat! and Blackbeard's Ghost. She also appeared in two episodes of the 1960s show, The Wonderful World of Disney. Additionally, she had memorable guest roles in a classic I Love Lucy episode in 1956 and in an early episode of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (1965). She continued television work into the early 1970s, appearing as a recurring character in Nanny and the Professor. [3]

Lanchester continued to act in films, making occasional film appearances such as the departing nanny, Katie Nanna, in the opening scenes of Mary Poppins, the mother in the original version of Willard and a sleuth based on 'Jane Marple' in the 1976 murder mystery spoof, Murder by Death.

Private life

Following Laughton's death in 1962, she wrote a book alleging that they never had children because Laughton was actually a homosexual. Actress Maureen O'Hara, a friend and co-star of Laughton, firmly refuted this. She claimed that Laughton had told her that his biggest regret was never having had children of his own. He also told her that the reason he and his wife never had children was because of a botched abortion she had early in her career while performing burlesque. Miss Lanchester mentioned in her own biography "Elsa Lanchester Herself" having had two abortions in her youth (one of them, a child from Charles), though she doesn't mention whether this left her incapable of becoming pregnant again or not.

O'Hara once said of Lanchester, "Elsa Lanchester looks as though butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, or anywhere else."

Death

She died in California on December 26, 1986 from pneumonia.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:27 am
Suzy Parker

Cecilia Ann Renee Parker (28 October 1932, Queens, New York - 3 May 2003, Montecito, California) was an American actress and supermodel who became famous under the name Suzy Parker.

Parker was born in Queens, New York and raised in San Antonio, Texas. Her elder sister, Dorian Leigh, introduced Suzy to agent Eileen Ford when she was 15. Parker became the "signature face" of Coco Chanel. She was the first to earn $US 200 per hour and $100,000 per year. Vogue declared her one of the faces of the confident, post-war American woman.

She made her acting debut in Funny Face (1957). Her other credits included Kiss Them for Me (1957), The Best of Everything (1959), Ten North Frederick (1959), Circle of Deception (1960) where she met future husband Bradford Dillman, Flight from Ashiya (1964), Chamber of Horrors (1966) and guest spots TV shows such as Tarzan and The Twilight Zone.

She took her third husband Bradford Dillman's name and was known as Suzy Parker Dillman following her marriage. She had four children: Georgia, by second husband Pierre de la Salle and, by Dillman, Dinah, Charles, and Christopher.

She died, aged 70, following a long period of ill health that included respiratory problems, hip surgeries, and diabetes.

Trivia

The Beatles recorded a song called "Suzy Parker" about her.
Actress Parker Posey's first name is a tribute to her.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:32 am
Jane Alexander

Birth name Jane Quigley
Born October 28, 1939 (1939-10-28) (age 67)
Boston, Massachusetts
Years active 1970-present
Spouse(s) Robert Alexander (1962-1974)
Edwin Sherin (1975-present)
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
1981 Playing for Time
2005 Warm Springs
Tony Awards
Best Featured Actress in a Play
1969 The Great White Hope

Jane Alexander (born October 28, 1939) is an award-winning American actress, author, and former director of the National Endowment for the Arts. Although perhaps best known for playing the female lead in The Great White Hope on both stage and screen, Alexander has played a wide array of roles in both theater and film, and has committed herself to a variety of charitable causes.

Biography

Early life

Alexander was born Jane Quigley in Boston, Massachusetts, daughter of Ruth Elizabeth (née Pearson), a nurse, and Thomas B. Quigley, an orthopedic surgeon.[1] She graduated from Beaver Country Day School, an all girls school in Chestnut Hill outside of Boston, where she discovered her love of acting.[2]

Encouraged by her father to go to college rather than immediately embark on an acting career, Alexander attended Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, New York, where she concentrated in theater but also studied mathematics with an eye toward computer programming, in the event she failed as an actress. Alexander spent her junior year studying at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, where she participated in the Edinburgh University Dramatic Society. The experience, together with apparently good reviews of her performances, solidified her determination to continue acting.[2]

Career

Alexander's major break in acting came in 1967 when she played Eleanor Backman in the original production of Howard Sackler's The Great White Hope at Arena Stage in Washington, DC. Like her co-star, James Earl Jones, she went on to play the part both on Broadway (1968), winning a Tony Award for her performance, and in the film version (1970), which earned her an Oscar nomination.[3] Alexander's additional screen credits include All the President's Men (1976), Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), and Testament (1983), all of which earned her Oscar nods, Brubaker (1980), The Cider House Rules (1999), and Fur (2006).

Alexander portrayed Eleanor Roosevelt in two television productions, Eleanor and Franklin and Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years, and she played FDR's mother, Sara Delano Roosevelt in HBO's Warm Springs with Kenneth Branagh and Cynthia Nixon, a role which garnered her an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Her other television movies include Arthur Miller's Playing for Time, co-starring Vanessa Redgrave, for which Alexander won another Emmy Award; Malice in Wonderland (as famed gossip-monger Hedda Hopper); Blood & Orchids; and In Love and War (1987) co-starring James Woods, which tells the story of James and Sybil Stockdale during Stockdale's eight years as a US Navy Commander and prisoner of war in Vietnam.[4] Alexander currently plays the protagonist, Dr. May Foster, in the HBO drama series Tell Me You Love Me. Her character, a psychotherapist, serves as the connecting link between three couples coping with relational and sexual difficulties. The show's frank portrayal of "senior" sexuality and explicit sex scenes have generated controversy.

In 1993, President Bill Clinton appointed Alexander chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, the organization that had provided partial funding for The Great White Hope at Arena Stage. Alexander moved to Washington, DC and served as chairman of the NEA until 1997. Her book, Command Performance: an Actress in the Theater of Politics (2000), describes the challenges she faced heading the NEA at a time when the 104th U.S. Congress, headed by Newt Gingrich, unsuccessfully strove to shut it down.[2]

In 2004, Alexander, together with her husband, Edwin Sherin, joined the theater faculty at Florida State University. [5] She serves on various boards, including the Wildlife Conservation Society, Project Greenhope, the National Stroke Association, and Women's Action for Nuclear Disarmament, and she has received the Israel Cultural Award and the Helen Caldicott Leadership Award. Alexander is also a fellow of the International Leadership Forum.[6]

Personal life

Alexander met her first husband, Robert Alexander, in the early 1960s in New York City, where both were pursuing acting careers. They had one son, Jace, born in 1964, and the couple divorced a few years later. Alexander had been acting regularly in various regional theaters when she met producer/director Edwin Sherin in Washington, DC, where he was serving as the artistic director at Arena Stage. The two became good friends and, once divorced from their respective spouses, became romantically involved, marrying in 1975. Between the two they have four children, Alexander's son, Jace, a television director, and Sherin's three sons, Tony, Geoffrey, and Jon, also from a previous marriage.[2]

Alexander lives with her husband in the suburbs north of New York City.[citation needed]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:35 am
Annie Potts

Born October 28, 1952 (1952-10-28) (age 54)

Annie Potts (born October 28, 1952) is an American television and film actress. She is probably best known for playing the role of Janine Melnitz in the Ghostbusters films and for the television sitcom Designing Women, but has had a wide variety of prominent roles in both television and film. Other notable roles include Mary Elizabeth (O'Brien) Sims on the Lifetime Television show Any Day Now, the voice of Little Bo Peep in the Toy Story films, a supporting role in the John Hughes drama Pretty in Pink, and a recent guest-starring role on the CBS drama Joan of Arcadia.

She has done work on talking books, including as the narrator and heroine of Larry McMurtry's "Telegraph Days".

Annie Potts is the daughter of Powell Grisette Potts and Dorothy Harris (Billingslea) Potts and has two older sisters, Mary Eleanor (Potts) Hovious, and Elizabeth Grissette ("Dollie") Potts. She was born in Nashville, Tennessee,[1] and grew up in Franklin, Kentucky, where she graduated from Franklin-Simpson High School. She received a Bachelor in Fine Arts degree (in theater arts) from Stephens College in Missouri. When Potts was 17, she was hit by a car driven by a man under the influence of alcohol.

Potts is married to television director James Hayman and is the mother of three sons, Clay, James (called Doc), and Harry. Annie is a dedicated Board Member of Stephens College, and has been instrumental in fundraising efforts for the college for many years. She is currently a visiting professor of Drama at the school
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:39 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:41 am
DEAR ABBY: A couple of women moved in across the hall from me. These two women go everywhere together and I've One is a middle-aged gym teacher and the other is a social worker in her mid-twenties. never seen a man go into their apartment or come out. Do you think they could be Lebanese? -- Curious.

DEAR ABBY: I have a man I never could trust. Why, he
cheats so much I'm not even sure this baby I'm carrying is his.

DEAR ABBY: I am a twenty-three- year-old liberated woman who has been on the pill for two years. It's getting expensive and I think my boyfriend should share half the cost, but I don't know him well enough to discuss money with him.

DEAR ABBY: I suspected that my husband had been fooling around, and when I confronted him with the evidence he denied everything and said it would never happen again.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 08:02 am
There's something in the way she moves,
Or looks my way, or calls my name,
That seems to leave this troubled world behind.
And if I'm feeling down and blue,
Or troubled by some foolish game,
She always seems to make me change my mind.
And I feel fine anytime she's around me now,
She's around me now
Just about all the time
And if I'm well you can tell she's been with me now,
She's been with me now quite a long, long time
And I feel fine.
It isn't what she's got to say
But how she thinks and where she's been
To me, the words are nice, the way they sound
I like to hear them best that way
It doesn't much matter what they mean
If she says them mostly just to calm me down
She's around me now
Just about all the time
And I feel fine.
Every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning
And I find myself careening
Into places where I should not let me go.
-- She has the power to go where no one else can find me
And to silently remind me
Of the happiness and the good times that I know, got to know.
She's around me now
Just about all the time
And I feel fine.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
Good afternoon, WA2K.

Eerie, Dys. I just added Tom Rush's "Something in the Way She Moves" to a CD I was putting together on the computer.

Sorry I couldn't make it here yesterday, Letty, but you did great without me. That was a fabulous picture of Teddy.

Elsa (before she married Frankie) Lanchester; Suzy Parker; Jane Alexander; Annie Potts and Julia Roberts

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4f/180px-Elsa_Lanchester.jpghttp://lifeinlegacy.com/2003/0510/ParkerSuzy.jpghttp://www.freedomforum.org/graphics/2000/06/photos/alexander.jane.6-7-00.jpg
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/annie_potts01.jpghttp://www.rd.com/images/rdmag/people/27655JuliaRoberts.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:53 am
Thanks, everyone for the contributions. I would acknowledge each one, but I am not feeling well.

Another Beatles song for Suzy.

Suzy Parker
Beatles
E
Well come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to come

(Suzy Parker come on, Suzy Parker)
A A7 E
Said come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to com e

B7 A7 E
When you get to Suzy's Parlour everybody gets well don e

E
I said come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to come

A A7 E
I said come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to com e

B7 A7 E
Yeah you come to Suzy's Parlour, everybody gets well don e
E A7 E
Go Suzy Go! Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da... ...Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Go!
B7 A7 E
Suzy's Parlour ( when you get to Suzy's parlour everybody gets well don e

E
Yeah come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to come

A A7 E
Said come on Suzy's Parlour, everybody's welcome to com e

B7 A7 E
When you get to Suzy's parlour everybody gets well don e

(Come on Suzy Parker Come On Suzy)

E A7
Said go little Suzy Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da Da go little Suzy ah Da Da
E
Da Da Da Da Da Da Da go little Suzy
B7 A7 E
Go little Suzy everybody gets well don e

END
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:34 pm
Don't Rain On My Parade
Bobby Darin

Hey world, here I am.......

Don't tell me not to fly I've simply got to
If someone takes a spill
It's me and not you
Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade

Don't tell me not to live just sit and putter
Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade

I'm gonna march my band out
I'll beat my drum
And if I'm fanned out
Your turn at bat sir
Hey! At least I didn't fake it
Hat sir? So what I didn't make it

But whether I'm the rose of sheer perfection
Or freckle on the nose of life's complexion
The cinder or the shin the apple of it's eye

I gotta fly once, I gotta try once
Only can die once, right sir?
Ohh...Love is juicy, juicy and you see
I've got to have my bite sir.

So get ready for me love cause I'm a comer
I've simply got to march my heart's a drummer
Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade

I gotta fly once, I gotta try once
Only can die once, right sir?
Ohh...Love is juicy, juicy and you see
I've got to have my bite sir.

(Slow) Get ready for me love cause I'm a comin
I've simply got to march my heart's a drummin
Nobody.
I said nobody.
Nobody - had better rain-on-my-parade.....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:17 pm
Feeling somewhat better now. I guess I needed some exercise.

Speaking of raining on a parade, edgar, it is really pouring here. Glad that I had that umbrella that I stole from Eva. Razz

Thanks, Texas, for the Bobby Darin song.

Was just looking through our vast audience today and noticed in the picture connection that there were several Robin Hood photo's. I became interested in the songs written about Robin of Locksley and did a exhaustive search. I'm still looking through our archives for one that I cannot find. Let me try it for our listeners.

Many long years ago,
A fellow named Robin Hood
He used to rob the rich
Most every chance he could

His buddies were Little John
Another was Alan a Dale
A hundred and forty more
Together they hit the trail.

Then something about, "with his little bow and arrow, he could part your hair."

I'll keep looking, but here is one from the TV series.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood,
Riding through the glen,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood,
With his band of men,
Feared by the bad, loved by the good,
Robin Hood! Robin Hood! Robin Hood!

He called the greatest archers
To a tavern on the green,
They vowed to help the people of the king,
They handled all the trouble
On the English country scene,
And still found plenty of time to sing.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood,
Riding through the glen,
Robin Hood, Robin Hood,
With his band of men,
Feared by the bad, loved by the good,
Robin Hood! Robin Hood! Robin Hood!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:40 pm
Robin Hood - Oo-De-Lally Lyrics

Robin Hood and Little John
Walkin' through the forest
Laughin' back and forth
At what the other'ne has to say
Reminiscin', This-'n'-thattin'
Havin' such a good time
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
Golly, what a day
Never ever thinkin' there was danger in the water
They were drinkin', they just guzzled it down
Never dreamin' that a schemin' sherrif and his posse
Was a-watchin' them an' gatherin' around
Robin Hood and Little John
Runnin' through the forest
Jumpin' fences, dodgin' trees
An' tryin' to get away
Contemplatin' nothin'
But escape an' fin'lly makin' it
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
Golly, what a day
Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
Golly, what a day
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:02 pm
From one hood to another, folks, and edgar, please note that the "howl" in this song is NOT Ginsberg. <smile>

Sam The Sham And The Pharaoh's - Little Red Riding Hood

What's that I see walkin' in these woods?
Why, it's Little Red Riding Hood.
Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood,
You sure are lookin' good,
You're everything a big, bad wolf could want...

Listen to me

Little Red Riding Hood,
I don't think little big girls should
Go walkin' in these spooky ol' woods alone.

howl

What big eyes you have,
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad.
So just to see that you don't get chased,
I think I ought to walk with you for a ways.
What full lips you have,
They're sure to lure someone bad.
So until you get to Grandma's place,
I think you ought to walk with me and be safe.

I'm gonna keep my sheep suit on,
Til I'm sure that you've been shown
That I can be trusted, walking with you alone.

howl

Little Red Riding Hood,
I'd like to hold you if I could,
But you might think I'm a big, bad wolf, so I won't.

howl

What a big heart I have,
The better to love you with.
Little Red Riding Hood,
Even bad wolves can be good.
I'll try to keep satisfied,
Just to walk close by your side.
Maybe you'll see things my way
Before we get to Grandma's place.

Little Red Riding Hood,
You sure are lookin' good,
You're everything a big, bad wolf could want.

howl

I mean baaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaa.....
0 Replies