WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:10 pm
James Caviezel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name James Patrick Caviezel
Born September 26, 1968 (1968-09-26) (age 39)
Mount Vernon, Washington
Spouse(s) Kerri Browitt Caviezel

James Patrick Caviezel, Jr. (pronounced [kə.ˈvi.zl̩]; born September 26, 1968) is an American film actor, sometimes credited as Jim Caviezel. He is perhaps best known for playing the part of Jesus Christ in the 2004 Mel Gibson film The Passion of the Christ.

Biography

Early life

Caviezel was born in Mount Vernon, Washington, the son of Ellen, a housewife and a stage actress, and James Patrick Caviezel, Sr., a chiropractor.[1] He has a younger brother, Timothy, and sisters Anne, Amy, and Erin, and was raised in a tight-knit Roman Catholic family in Conway (Skagit County), Washington. Caviezel's surname is of Romansh origin; his father is of Slovak (maternal) and Swiss (paternal) descent, while his mother's ancestry is Irish. Jim attended Mount Vernon High School for two years and then moved to Seattle and lived with family friends in order to play basketball at the Catholic O'Dea High School. The following spring, he transferred from O'Dea to another Catholic school, Burien's John F. Kennedy Memorial High. There he starred on the basketball team and graduated in 1987. Following high school, Jim enrolled at Bellevue Community College where the 6 ft 2 in athlete also played basketball. A foot injury in his second year, however, put an end to Jim's hopes of a basketball career in the NBA. He later transferred to the University of Washington where he turned his focus to acting and became a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.

Career

After appearances in Wyatt Earp and G.I. Jane, Caviezel scored a breakthrough performance in Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line. He was originally cast to play Cyclops/Scott Summers in X-Men (2000) but dropped out due to a scheduling conflict with his other film, Frequency.

Caviezel starred in such mainstream Hollywood films as Angel Eyes, Pay It Forward and The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). In 2001, he played the lead in Madison, a film that tells the story of the hydro races in Madison, Indiana. Caviezel's character pilots Miss Madison to victory, recounting the 1971 event. The film did not appear in theatres until 2005. In addition, his work in High Crimes (2002) was highly praised by critics.

In 2002, he played a pivotal role in the film I Am David from the Danish novel known by both David and North to Freedom, written by Ann Holm.

In 2004, Caviezel portrayed Jesus Christ in the Mel Gibson film The Passion of the Christ. During the filming of this film, he was struck by lightning, accidentally whipped, dislocated his shoulder and bruised his eye. After its release, Caviezel was offered the role of spokesman for a fashion line called "Heavenly," which he refused, citing that it would be an insult to people who felt the film had something meaningful to offer.

Also in 2004, he expressed interest in playing the role of Superman/Clark Kent for the 2006 Superman Returns film, even mentioning that he would dedicate his performance to Christopher Reeve. Ultimately, he was passed over by director Bryan Singer, who felt that Caviezel was too well known after starring in The Passion of the Christ. The part went to newcomer Brandon Routh instead.

Caviezel plays a lead role in Unknown, an IFC project distributed by the Weinstein Company. Caviezel also has a role in Tony Scott's 2006 action film, Déjà Vu opposite Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer. He plays the lead role, Kainin, in the film, Outlander, which began principal photography in October 2006 in eastern Canada.

Caviezel is providing the voice of Jesus on the Thomas Nelson Inc.-produced New Testament audio dramatization "The Word of Promise,[2]," set to release in the fall of 2007.[3]

Personal life

Caviezel is a devout Roman Catholic and has been a featured public speaker at religious venues since the release of The Passion. On March 19, 2005 he was the main speaker at the first Catholic Men's Conference in Boston. Caviezel stated that he chose to speak at the conference only because he liked Boston Archbishop, Sean Cardinal O'Malley. His wife Kerri, also a devout Roman Catholic, is a teacher and an accomplished flautist. The two are active in their Conejo Valley, California parish. Kerri supports a charity for single mothers and also volunteers with their church's Detention Ministry at a camp for incarcerated youth in Malibu, California. Jim is friends classes at the University of Notre Dame. Officially, he was a non-degree student, though Associate Dean Ava Preacher was quoted by the University's newspaper as saying that Caviezel was "working on 'how to proceed'" as a student at Notre Dame. [4]

Caviezel remains a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity, which he joined while a student at the University of Washington and is a Minnesota Vikings fan. His 14-year relationship with his schoolteacher wife works, he says, because of his frequent use of the phrases "I am wrong" and "I am sorry."[citation needed] Last year they adopted a baby Chinese boy with a brain tumour; the Caviezels have also adopted a second child, a young girl, from the Guangzhou region of China.

Caviezel is the brother-in-law of current St. Louis Rams head coach Scott Linehan.

Public politics

On October 24, 2006, Caviezel was featured (along with Patricia Heaton, Kurt Warner, and Mike Sweeney) in an advertisement opposing Missouri Amendment 2 (to provide state funds for somatic cell nuclear transfer, a form of embryonic stem cell research). While non-partisan, the advertisement was widely seen as supporting the Republican Party position on the issue. Caviezel began the advertisement by saying "Le-bar nash be-neshak", Aramaic for "You betray the Son of Man with a kiss," a reference to Judas' betraying Christ and a phrase used in the Greek of Luke's Gospel.[5] The line however, did not include a translation into English. Caviezel closed the commercial with the line, "You know now. Don't do it," referring to the voting in favor of the amendment.

The advertisement appeared to be a response to a pro-Amendment 2 advertisement featuring the actor, Michael J. Fox who has Parkinson's Disease and is a vocal proponent of stem-cell therapies. This was reported to be entirely coincidental, however, said to have been conceived and filmed previously.

Caviezel also donated in 2006 to the unsuccessful campaign to re-elect US Senator Rick Santorum.[6]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:13 pm
A newsboy was standing on the corner with a stack of papers, yelling,
"Read all about it. Fifty people swindled! Fifty people swindled!"

Curious, a man walked over, bought a paper, and checked the front
page. Finding nothing, the man said, "There's nothing in here about
fifty people being swindled."

The newsboy ignored him and went on, calling out, "Read all about it.
Fifty-one people swindled!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:43 pm
ah, Bob, first let me thank you for the great background on the celebs. Then, I must say that brief story gave us a smile. I am certain that McCain would have called him "a little jerk."

I, for one, was particularly interested in T.S. Eliot and George Gershwin.

I never understood The Waste Land, and after reading Thomas' analysis concerning that poem, I think I understand why I don't. Razz

George and Ira made a wonderful team, and produced some of the most beautiful music ever written or played.

How about this one, listeners.

Let the drums roll out
Let the trumpets call
While the people shout,
"Strike up the band!"

Let the cymbals ring
Callin' one and all
While the saxes swing
Strike up the band

There is work to be done, to be done
There are songs to be sung, to be sung
Hey, you son-of-a-, son-of-a-gun
Here's a plan

Come along, yea a bow
Get it on, let's go
Hey, leader, say, leader
Hey, leader, strike up the band!

Maureen McGovern
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:56 pm
Good evening. Perhaps this has all been discussed, but:

When you're a Jet your're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette til your last dying day.

West Side Story premiered 50 years ago tonight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:04 pm
Two Sleepy People
Fats Waller

[Words by Frank Loesser]
[Music by Hoagy Cormichael]

Here we are
Out of cigarettes
Holding hands and yawning
Look how late it gets
Two sleepy people by dawn's early light
And too much in love to say goodnight

Here we are
In the cozy chair
Picking on a wishbone
From the Frigidaire
Two sleepy people with nothing to say
And too much in love to break away

Do you remember
The nights we used to linger in the hall
Father didn't like you at all
Do you remember
The reason why we married in the fall
To rent this little nest
And get a bit of rest

Well, here we are
Just about the same
Foggy little fella
Drowsy little dame
Two sleepy people by dawn's early light
And too much in love to say goodnight
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:25 pm
Good evening, John of Virginia. I had to go to the archives to find your song. Of course, we know that West Side Story was a musical version of Romeo and Juliet, right? Nice to see you back, incidentally.

Then we shall look and listen to Fats Waller by edgar.

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Jet,
If the spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,
You stay a Jet!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:32 pm
I loved the musical about Fats Waller that we saw in Roanoke, Virginia, and since the title of the thing was "Ain't Misbehavin'", Let's hear it.

Lyrics by Andy Razaf
Music by Thomas "Fats" Waller and Harry Brooks

No one to talk with,
All by myself,
No one to walk with,
But I'm happy on the shelf
Ain't misbehavin',
I'm savin' my love for you

I know for certain,
The one I love,
I through with flirtin',
It's just you I'm thinkin' of.
Ain't misbehavin',
I'm savin' my love for you

Like Jack Horner in the corner
Don't go no where,
What do I care,
Your kisses are worth waitin' for
Be-lieve me

I don't stay out late,
Don't care to go,
I'm home about eight,
Just me and my radio
Ain't misbehavin',
I'm savin' my love for you.

Well, folks, I am misbehavin' a little bit. First glass of wine that I have had in a long time. French, of course. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:53 am
A Handful Of Stars
Glenn Miller & His Orchestra w/ Ray Eberle

[Written by Jack Lawrence and Ted Shapiro]

I recall the story
That night of love and glory
A night that left my heart romantic scars
We stood so near to heaven
That I reached clear to heaven
And gathered you a handful of stars

Sweet remembered hour
When love began to flower
With moonlight through the trees like silver balls
And as the moon grew older
I reached across your shoulder
And gathered you a handful of stars

I placed my fingertips upon your lips
And stars fell in your eyes
Moonglow made a halo of your hair
Suddenly you looked at me
And dreams began to rise
Oh, what things unspoken trembled in the air

Our hearts were madly beating
And then our lips were meeting
And Venus seemed to melt right into Mars
Then while we stood caressing
Blue heaven sent a blessing
A shower of a handful of stars
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:51 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, those lyrics are really lovely, Texas. We forget sometimes that lyric poetry was eventually meant to be sung. Thanks again.

Speaking of a "handful of stars", folks, I have never seen a more glorious full moon than appeared in my sky last evening. I suppose we all know by now that "lunar ticks" get feisty under those conditions. Razz

Political headlines:
Bush climate goals marked by bureaucracy. Hmmm, wonder why I decided to remind our listeners of global warming.

From the frosty Robert, our poem for the day.

Departmental
An ant on the tablecloth
Ran into a dormant moth
Of many times his size.
He showed not the least surprise.
His business wasn't with such.
He gave it scarcely a touch,
And was off on his duty run.
Yet if he encountered one
Of the hive's enquiry squad
Whose work is to find out God
And the nature of time and space,
He would put him onto the case.
Ants are a curious race;
One crossing with hurried tread
The body of one of their dead
Isn't given a moment's arrest-
Seems not even impressed.
But he no doubt reports to any
With whom he crosses antennae,
And they no doubt report
To the higher-up at court.
Then word goes forth in Formic:
"Death's come to Jerry McCormic,
Our selfless forager Jerry.
Will the special Janizary
Whose office it is to bury
The dead of the commissary
Go bring him home to his people.
Lay him in state on a sepal.
Wrap him for shroud in a petal.
Embalm him with ichor of nettle.
This is the word of your Queen."
And presently on the scene
Appears a solemn mortician;
And taking formal position,
With feelers calmly atwiddle,
Seizes the dead by the middle,
And heaving him high in air,
Carries him out of there.
No one stands round to stare.
It is nobody else's affair
It couldn't be called ungentle
But how thoroughly departmental
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
William Conrad

Birth name William Cann
Born September 27, 1920(1920-09-27)
Louisville, Kentucky
Died February 11, 1994 (aged 73)
Los Angeles, California

William Conrad (September 27, 1920 - February 11, 1994), born William Cann, was an American actor and narrator in radio, film and television noted for his baritone voice, as well as for his sizable girth.

Biography

Conrad was born in Louisville, Kentucky. Starting work in radio in the late 1930s in California, Conrad went on to serve as a fighter pilot in World War II. He returned to the airwaves after the war, going on to accumulate over 7,000 roles in radio by his own estimate.

Conrad's deep, resonant voice led to a number of noteworthy roles in radio drama, most prominently his originating the role of Marshal Matt Dillon on the Western program Gunsmoke from 1952-61. He was considered for the role when the series was brought to television in 1955, but his increasing obesity led to the casting of James Arness. Other series to which Conrad contributed his talents included Escape, Suspense and The Damon Runyon Theater. One particularly memorable radio piece was the 1957 CBS Radio Workshop broadcast "Epitaphs," an adaptation of the Edgar Lee Masters poetry volume Spoon River Anthology; Conrad both directed and narrated the production.

Among Conrad's various film roles, where he was usually cast as threatening figures, perhaps his most notable role was his first credited one, as one of the gunmen sent to eliminate Burt Lancaster in the 1946 film The Killers. He also appeared in Body and Soul (1947), Sorry, Wrong Number, Joan of Arc (both 1948), The Naked Jungle (1954) and "Johnny Concho" (1956). .

Moving to television in the 1960s, his first decade in the medium was largely marked by a return to voice work (most notably as narrator of The Fugitive from 1963-67) and the direction of Brainstorm in 1965; he narrated the animated Bullwinkle series from 1959-64 (as "Bill Conrad"), and later performed the role of Denethor in the 1980 animated TV version of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Return of the King. But the 1970s saw him starring onscreen in the first of three detective series which would bring him an added measure of renown, Cannon, which ran from 1971-76. He later starred in both Nero Wolfe (1981) and Jake and the Fatman (1987-92). He was also a notable director of suspense and action dramas, in TV series and occasional movies.

Conrad had one son, Christopher, with wife Susie. On February 11, 1994, Conrad died from congestive heart failure at age 73 in Los Angeles, California and is interred at Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills Cemetery in the Lincoln Terrace, Plot Number 4448.

Conrad was elected to the Radio Hall of Fame in 1997.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:16 am
Jayne Meadows

Born September 27, 1920 (1920-09-27) (age 87)
Wuchang, China
Spouse(s) Steve Allen 1954-2000; his death

Jayne Meadows (born September 27, 1920) is an American movie and stage actress and author.

Biography

Early life

Meadows was born Jayne Meadows Cotter in Wu-ch'ang (now Wuchang), China, to Episcopal missionary parents, the Rev. Francis James Meadows Cotter, and his wife, Ida (née Miller).[1] The family later returned to their home in Connecticut, United States.

Career

Meadows' most famous movies include: Song of the Thin Man (with William Powell and Myrna Loy), David and Bathsheba (with Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward and Raymond Massey), Lady in the Lake (with Robert Montgomery and Audrey Totter), and City Slickers (as the voice of Billy Crystal's oversolicitous mother).

Meadows was a regular panelist on the original version of I've Got a Secret and an occasional panelist on What's My Line?, the latter alongside husband Steve Allen. During the early days of the burgeoning live entertainment scene in Las Vegas, the Allens occasionally worked together as an act.

Personal life

Meadows was the older sister of Audrey Meadows, whom she survives, as well as having had two brothers who are also deceased.

She was married to Steve Allen from 1954 until his death in 2000, by whom she had one son, and several step-children.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:19 am
Will Sampson

Birth name Will Sampson
Born September 27, 1933(1933-09-27)
Hitchita, Oklahoma
United States
Died July 3, 1987 (aged 53)

Occupation Actor, Painter
Years active 1975 - 1987
Official site http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0760225

Will Sampson (September 27, 1933 - June 3, 1987) was a Native American Muscogee (Creek) actor and artist from Hitchita, Oklahoma.

Sampson's most notable roles were as "Chief Bromden" in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and as "Taylor the Medicine Man" in the horror film Poltergeist II. He had a recurring role on the TV series Vega$, as Harlon Twoleaf and starred in the movies Fishhawk, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Orca.

Sampson also appeared in the production of Black Elk Speaks with the American Indian Theater Company in Tulsa, Oklahoma where David Carradine and other Native American actors like Wes Studi and Randolph Mantooth starred in stage productions.

Sampson was also a noted artist. Sampson's large painting depicting the Ribbon Dance of his Muscogee people is in the collection of the Creek Council House Museum in Okmulgee, Oklahoma.

In need of a heart and liver transplant, he died in 1987 of post-operative kidney failure and pre-operative malnutrition problems.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:21 am
Greg Morris

Birth name Francis Gregory Alan Morris
Born September 27, 1933
Cleveland, Ohio
Died August 27, 1996 (aged 62)

Francis Gregory Alan Morris (September 27, 1933 - August 27, 1996) was an American television and movie actor.

Morris began his acting career in the 1960s making guest appearances on many TV shows such as The Twilight Zone and Ben Casey. In 1966, he was cast in his most recognizable role as the electronics expert Barney Collier in the TV series Mission: Impossible. Along with Peter Lupus and Bob Johnson, he would be the only other actor to remain with the series throughout its entire run.

While in college, Morris was active in theater and hosted the late afternoon Jazz radio show, "Tea-Time" on the University of Iowa's station, WSUI. He co-produced concerts at the University with a student friend. After Iowa, Greg's first professional stage role was in "The Death of Bessie Smith." One of his earliest television roles was on "The Dick Van Dyke Show," when Rob and Laura think they've gotten the wrong baby from the hospital.

After Mission: Impossible was cancelled, Morris would appear in movies and make guest TV appearances before he was cast as Lt. David Nelson during the second season of the TV series Vega$. After the cancellation of the series in 1981, Morris would continue to make guest TV appearances in the next decade, including a few episodes in the short-lived 1980s remake of the Mission: Impossible TV series, which starred his son Phil Morris, who was cast as Grant Collier, the son of Barney.

Morris died in 1996 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Shortly before his death, he went to see the film version of Mission: Impossible that starred Tom Cruise. The reports were that he hated the movie so much (an opinion that was shared by several of his former co-stars) that he left the theater early.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:33 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:46 am
Meat Loaf

Background information

Birth name Marvin Lee Aday
Also known as Meat Loaf, Michael Aday
Born September 27, 1947 (1947-09-27) (age 60)

Dallas, Texas, U.S.

Genre(s) Rock
Hard rock
Wagnerian rock
Occupation(s) Singer, actor
Instrument(s) Vocals
Guitar
Saxophone
Years active 1968-present
Label(s) Rare Earth, Cleveland International Records, Epic, RCA, Atlantic, Arista, MCA, Polydor, Sanctuary, Mercury, Virgin
Website http://www.meatloaf.net/

Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday September 27, 1947 (1947-09-27) (age 60)), better known as Meat Loaf, is an American rock singer and actor of stage and screen. He is noted for his albums Bat out of Hell, II, and III and several famous songs from movies. The Neverland Express is the name of the band he fronts, as its lead singer. In 2001, he changed his first name to Michael.[1][2]

Despite setbacks (including bankruptcy, on more than one occasion), Meat Loaf is notable for the ultimate success of his music career, spawning some of the largest-selling albums of all time, and breaking several records for chart duration. Bat out of Hell, the debut album which had been four years in the making, has sold over 37 million copies. After almost 30 years, it still sells an estimated 200,000 copies annually, and stayed on the charts for over 9 years.[3] Each of the seven tracks on the album eventually charted as a single hit.

Although he enjoyed success with Bat out of Hell and Bat out of Hell II: Back into Hell, Meat Loaf experienced some initial difficulty establishing a steady career within his native United States; however, he has retained iconic status and popularity in Europe, especially the UK, where he ranks 23rd for number of weeks overall spent on the charts, and is one of only two artists with an album never to have left the music charts. With the help of his New York collection of musicians John Golden, Richard Raskin and Paul Jacobs his European tours enjoyed immense popularity in the 80`s. In Germany, Meat Loaf became notably popular following the release of Bat out of Hell II but has enjoyed most of his success among pop/rock fans. He ranked 96th on VH1's '100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock'.

Meat Loaf has also appeared in over 50 movies or television shows[4] sometimes even as himself, or as characters resembling his onstage personality, such as his memorable role as Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. He appeared in the acclaimed feature film Fight Club, as Robert "Bob" Paulson; he is credited for this role as "Meat Loaf Aday".

Early life

The Start

Aday was born Marvin Lee Aday in Dallas, Texas, the first child of Orvis Wesley Aday, a police officer, and Wilma Artie (Hukel), a school teacher and a member of the Vo-di-o-do Girls gospel quartet. His father was an alcoholic who would go on drinking binges for days at a time. Marvin and his mother would drive around to all the bars in Dallas, looking for Orvis to take him home. Because of this, Marvin often stayed with his grandmother, Charlsee Norrod.

He relates a story in his autobiography, To Hell and Back, about how he, a friend and his friend's father, drove out to Love Field to watch John F. Kennedy land. After watching him leave the airport, they decided to head to Market Hall which was on Kennedy's parade route. On the way they heard that he had been shot so they headed to Parkland Hospital where they saw Jackie Kennedy get out of the car and Governor John Connally get pulled out, though they never saw Kennedy taken out.

Marvin graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in 1965, having started his acting career in school productions of Where's Charley? and The Music Man.[5] After attending college at Lubbock Christian College, Marvin transferred to North Texas State University. While there he was called in for an Army physical which he tried to fail by gaining sixty-eight pounds in four and a half weeks. They determined that he was fit despite being colour blind, having a trick shoulder and being very concussion prone (he has had seventeen of them from allowing a Volkswagen to roll over his head on a dare, which garnered him the nickname MeatLoaf, when a friend who was present remarked afterward that he must have "meatloaf for brains".) . When his draft notice arrived two years later, he ignored it. In 1967, after seeing his mother hospitalized and her health deteriorating, Marvin stole his dad's credit card and moved to Los Angeles, where he became a bouncer at a teenage nightclub.

In his autobiography, Marvin claims that shortly after his mother died, his father, in a drunken rage, tried to kill him with a knife, and that he barely managed to escape after they had a bad fight. After Marvin got his inheritance from his mother's death, he rented an apartment in Dallas and isolated himself for three and a half months. Eventually a friend found him. Marvin bought a car with his inheritance and drove to California.

Early musical career

In Los Angeles, he formed his first band, Meat Loaf Soul. During the recording of their first song, Meat Loaf hit a big note and blew the board dash; he was immediately offered three recording contracts. However, he turned them all down. Meat Loaf Soul's first gig was in Huntington Beach at the Cave, opening for Them, Van Morrison's band. While performing their cover of the Yardbirds' "Smokestack Lightning", the smoke machine they used made too much smoke and the club had to be cleared out. Later, the band was the opening act at Cal State Northridge for Renaissance, Taj Mahal and Janis Joplin. The band then underwent several changes at lead guitar, changing the name of the band each time - including Popcorn Blizzard, and Floating Circus. As Floating Circus, they opened for The Who, The Fugs, The Stooges, MC5, Grateful Dead and The Grease Band. Their regional success led them to release a single, "Once Upon A Time" backed with "Hello."

Early recordings

Stoney & Meatloaf

With the publicity generated from Hair, Meat Loaf was invited to record with Motown. They suggested he do a duet with Stoney Murphy, to which he agreed. The Motown production team in charge of the album wrote and selected the songs while Meat Loaf and Stoney came in only to lay down their vocals. The album, titled Stoney & Meatloaf (Meatloaf being shown as one word), was completed in the summer of 1971 and released in September of that year. A single released in advance of the album, What You See Is What You Get, reached number thirty six on the R&B charts and seventy-one on Billboard Hot 100 chart. To support their album, Meat Loaf and Stoney toured with Jake Wade and the Soul Searchers, opening up for Richie Havens, The Who, The Stooges, Bob Seger, Alice Cooper and Rare Earth. Meat Loaf left soon after Motown replaced his and Stoney's vocals from the one song he liked, "Who Is The Leader Of The People?", with new vocals by Edwin Starr. The album has been re-released after Meat Loaf's success, with Stoney's vocals removed from all songs from the original Stoney and Meatloaf album. "Who Is The Leader Of The People?" was released with Meat Loaf's vocals intact, only Stoney was missing and the album failed. Stoney, in Meat Loaf's absence, brought out a solo single which flopped and she quit Motown shortly after. Stoney, aka Shaun Murphy, went on to sing backup with many acts, including Bob Seger and Eric Clapton, and became a full time member of Little Feat in 1993. She continues to work with Little Feat and Seger.

More Than You Deserve

After the tour, Meat Loaf rejoined the cast of Hair, this time on Broadway. After he hired an agent, he auditioned for the Public Theater's production of More Than You Deserve. It was during the audition that Meat Loaf first met his future collaborator Jim Steinman. He sang a former Stoney and Meatloaf favorite of his, "I'd Love To Be As Heavy As Jesus" (On VH1 Storytellers, MeatLoaf said Steinman said something like "I think you're as heavy as 2 Jesuses, son!") , and with that, got the part of Rabbit, a maniac that blows up his fellow soldiers so they can "go home." Also in the show were Ron Silver and Fred Gwynne. After it closed he appeared in "As You Like It" with Raúl Juliá and Mary Beth Hurt.

He recorded a single of More Than You Deserve and had a cover of In the Presence of the Lord as its b-side. He was only able to save three copies of it because the record company wouldn't allow its press release. With those three copies he released many rare cds featuring the two songs, but they can rarely be spotted at CD outlets.[citation needed] He later recorded it again in 1981 in a slightly rougher voice.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

During the winter of 1973, after returning from a short production of Rainbow in New York in Washington, D.C., Meat Loaf received a call asking him to be in The Rocky Horror Show where he played the part of Eddie and Dr Scott. The success of the play led to the filming of The Rocky Horror Picture Show where Meat Loaf played only Eddie. About the same time, Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman started work on Bat out of Hell. Meat Loaf convinced Epic Records to shoot videos for four songs, "Bat Out Of Hell", "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" and "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad". He then convinced Lou Adler, the producer of Rocky Horror, to run the "Paradise" video as a trailer to the movie. Meat Loaf's final show in New York was Gower Champion's Rock-a-bye Hamlet, a Hamlet musical. It closed two weeks into its initial run. Meat would later return occasionally to perform Hot Patootie for a special Rocky Horror reunion or convention, one of which was recorded for his Live Around the World CD set in 1996.

During his recording of the soundtrack for Rocky Horror, Meat Loaf recorded two more songs: "Stand By Me" (a Ben E. King cover), and "Clap Your Hands". They remained unreleased until 1984, when they appeared as b-sides to the "Nowhere Fast" single.

In 1976, Meat Loaf recorded lead vocals for Ted Nugent's Free For All album when regular Nugent lead vocalist Derek St. Holmes quit the band. Meat Loaf sang lead on 5 of the album's 9 tracks.

Bat out of Hell

Meat Loaf and friend/songwriter Jim Steinman started Bat out of Hell in 1972, but did not get serious about it until the end of 1974. Meat Loaf decided to leave theater, and concentrate exclusively on music. Then, the National Lampoon Show opened on Broadway, and it needed an understudy for John Belushi, a close friend of Meat Loaf since 1972. It was at the Lampoon Show that Meat Loaf met Ellen Foley, the co-star who ended up singing "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" with him on the album Bat out of Hell.

After the Lampoon show ended, Meat Loaf and Steinman spent time seeking a record deal. Their approaches were rejected by each record company, because their songs did not fit any specific recognized music industry style. Finally, they performed the songs for Todd Rundgren, who decided to produce the album, as well as play lead guitar on it. They then shopped the record around, but still had no takers until Cleveland International Records decided to take a chance. On October 21, 1977, Bat out of Hell was released.

Meat Loaf's first gig in support of the record was opening for Cheap Trick in Chicago; the audience started out hostile, but by the end of the show, they had been won over. Their next stop came a couple of days after the release of the album in New Jersey. The show was a complete sell-out, and people lined up to see it hours before it started. Things really started to take off after Meat Loaf appeared on Saturday Night Live, as the Musical Guest, on March 25, 1978. (That evening's host, Christopher Lee, introduced him saying, "Ladies and gentlemen...meet...Loaf! {pause} Eh?... Oh!... Ladies and gentlemen, MEAT LOAF!") The huge success of the album caused a rift to open up between Meat Loaf and Steinman: the group, named after Meat Loaf for ease of labeling, seemed to Steinman to sideline his work as creator, and Steinman started to resent the attention that his partner was getting.[citation needed]

During a show in Ottawa, Meat Loaf fell off the stage and broke his leg. The injury caused him to cancel the rest of the tour. Unable to handle the pressure, Meat Loaf resorted to cocaine, ultimately culminating in a nervous breakdown where he threatened to commit suicide by jumping off the ledge of a building in New York. Then, in December 1978, he went to Woodstock to work with Steinman. It was at the Bearsville studio that Meat Loaf met his future wife, Leslie G. Edmonds; they were married within a month. Leslie had a daughter from a previous marriage, Pearl, who has since followed in her stepfather's footsteps to become a singer. In the middle of recording his second album, Bad For Good, Meat Loaf lost the ability to sing; it is unclear as to the exact cause - the tour was a punishing one, and the vocals and energy intense. However, his doctors said that physically he was fine and that his problem was psychological. Nevertheless, Steinman decided to keep recording Bad For Good without Meat Loaf.

Just as his singing career seemed to be reaching a dead end, he got the role of Travis Redfish in Roadie. The movie had cameos by Debbie Harry, Roy Orbison and Hank Williams, Jr., but still was a box office flop.

Over time Meat Loaf got his singing voice back and got off drugs. The struggles that Meat Loaf faced making Bat Out Of Hell paid off. It now has sold more than 37 million copies worldwide, making it one of the biggest-sellers of all time. In the UK alone, its 2.1 million sales put it in 38th place. Despite peaking at #9 and spending only two weeks in the top ten in 1981, it has now clocked up 480 weeks on the UK album chart, a figure bettered by nobody. In Australia, it knocked the Bee Gees off the number #1 spot and went on to become the biggest-selling Australian album of all time. Bat out of Hell is also one of only two albums that has never exited the Top 200 in the UK charts; this makes it the longest stay in any music chart in the world, although the published chart contains just 75 positions.

Life after Bat out of Hell

In 1976, Meat Loaf appeared in the short-lived Broadway production of the rock musical Rockabye Hamlet. In 1980, he started working on Dead Ringer. Steinman wrote all of the songs, but had little else to do with the album. At the time, his manager, David Sonnenberg, stepped out, and Todd Dellentash stepped in to manage Meat Loaf's career. The tour they planned, to support the album, was canceled after one show, because they ran out of the money that the studio advanced them. Sonnenberg and Dellentash also convinced CBS to advance more money for the making of the movie Dead Ringer, which was shown at the Toronto Film Festival and won some favorable reviews, but was poorly considered after Dellentash and Sonenberg re-edited the movie.[citation needed]

In 1981, Leslie gave birth to Amanda Aday, now a television actress. That same year, Meat Loaf changed managers, after finding out that Dellentash and Sonenberg were stealing his money. They had all of Meat Loaf's assets frozen, and sued him for breach of contract. They also started spreading rumors about how Meat Loaf was violent, and had threatened people with guns. Meat Loaf ended up declaring bankruptcy. In 1983, he released the self written Midnight At The Lost And Found. Meat Loaf himself, a poor songwriter by his own admission, did not care for the songs he had written for the album.

In 1984, Meat Loaf went to England, to record the album Bad Attitude, which included a duet with Roger Daltrey and two songs written by Jim Steinman; the recording of the album was rushed. During the tour to support the album, Leslie had a nervous breakdown and had to check into Silver Hill rehab facility in Connecticut. Things finally looked like they were going to turn around in 1986, when Meat Loaf found a new writer, John Parr, and started recording a new album, Blind Before I Stop. Unfortunately, the producer put a dance beat underneath every song, which resulted in critical failure, and Meat Loaf going bankrupt, eventually losing everything. His relationships with lifelong friend Jim Steinman and Leslie also deteriorated.

To try to get his career back off the ground, Meat Loaf started touring small venues, anywhere that would have him, such as pubs and clubs. Slowly, he developed a faithful following which grew to the point where they were unable to fit into the venues that Meat Loaf was playing, and then they too began to grow. This carried on until the late '80s, where he began to sell out arenas and stadiums again, including over 10,000 tickets at The Ohio State University. Leslie studied to be a travel agent, so they could save on travel expenses, and they toured all over the United States, Germany, England, Scandinavia, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Abu Dhabi, Oman and Bahrain. Due to the success of the touring, Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman began to work on Bat Out Of Hell II which was finally released in 1993, sixteen years after Bat Out Of Hell. The album was a huge success and is considered one of the greatest comebacks in music history.

Meat Loaf and Leslie divorced in 2001. He is now engaged to be married again. Deborah Gillespie, his fiancée, hails from Edmonton.

1980s albums

Dead Ringer

Songwriter Jim Steinman started to work on Bad For Good, the album that was supposed to be the follow-up to 1977's Bat Out Of Hell, in 1979. During that time, a combination of touring, drugs and exhaustion had caused Meat Loaf to lose his voice. Without a singer, and pressured by the record company, Steinman decided that he should sing on Bad For Good himself, and write a new album for Meat Loaf; the result was Dead Ringer, which was later released in 1981, after the release of Steinman's Bad For Good.

After playing the role of Travis Redfish in the movie Roadie, Meat Loaf's singing voice returned, and he started to work on his new album in 1980. Steinman had written five new songs which, in addition to the track "More Than You Deserve" (sung by Meat Loaf in the stage musical of the same name) and a reworked monologue, formed the album Dead Ringer, which was produced by Meat Loaf and Stephan Galfas, with backing tracks produced by Todd Rundgren, Jimmy Iovine, and Jim Steinman. (In 1976, Meat Loaf appeared on the track "Keeper Keep Us", from the Intergalactic Touring Band's self-titled album, produced by Galfas.) The song "Dead Ringer For Love" was the pinnacle of the album, and launched Meat Loaf to even greater success after it reached #5 in the UK and stayed in the charts for a surprising 19 weeks. Cher provided the lead female vocals in the song, which contributed to the success of the single.

The album reached #1 in the UK, and three singles were released from the album: "Dead Ringer For Love" (with Cher), "I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us," and "Read 'Em And Weep".

Midnight At The Lost And Found

Following a dispute with his former songwriter Jim Steinman, Meat Loaf was contractually obliged to release a new album. Struggling for time, and with no resolution to his arguments with Steinman seemingly on the horizon (eventually, Steinman would sue Meat Loaf, who subsequently sued Steinman as well), he was forced to find songwriters wherever he could.

Meat Loaf is credited with being involved in the writing of numerous tracks on the album, including the title track, "Midnight At The Lost And Found". However, when the album was released in 1983, it was regarded by many as being poor. Fans were disappointed to see that the iconic pictures on the covers of Bat Out of Hell and Dead Ringer were replaced by a black-and-white photograph of Meat Loaf (on some later re-releases, a colour image of a screaming Meat Loaf was used as the cover image).

The title track still regularly forms part of Meat Loaf concerts, and was one of very few 1980s songs to feature on the 1998 hit album The Very Best Of Meat Loaf. This was the last album that Meat Loaf did with the record label Epic until the 'best of' album.

Bad Attitude

Bad Attitude, released 1984, features two songs by Jim Steinman, both previously recorded, and was mainly an attempt to keep Meat Loaf from going bankrupt during this period of lawsuits. It concentrated more on the hard rock side of Meat Loaf, was a minor success around the globe and released a few hit singles, the most successful being "Modern Girl." It also holds some of Meat Loaf's favorite songs that include "Jump'n The Gun" and "Piece Of The Action". It was recorded in England.

Blind Before I Stop

Blind Before I Stop was released in 1986. It features production, mixing, and general influence by Frank Farian. Meat Loaf gave songwriting another shot with this album and wrote three of the songs on the album. However, the only song released as a single (in the UK) was "Rock 'N' Roll Mercenaries," which was a duet with rock singer John Parr. Meat Loaf would not be able to sing the song live with John Parr for too long, because of an incident just after the release of the single. During a sold out show in London, Meat Loaf was going to perform the song, and as Meat Loaf did not introduce John onto the stage, he stormed off supposedly after the song was performed. Meat Loaf never saw Parr again, even after leaving dozens of phone messages begging him for forgiveness. But, in Meat's own words, "I never introduce people in the middle of a show - it breaks the continuity. You don't stop in the middle of a play and say 'And now ladies and gentlemen, entering the stage is Robert De Niro'". This song "Rock N' Roll Mercenaries" was included on Live at Wembley, which was released in 1987, with it having Parr on the track, thus confirming that Parr stormed off the stage after he sang it with Meat.

According to Meat Loaf's 1998 autobiography, the album sold poorly due to the production of the album. Meat Loaf would have preferred to cancel the project and wait to work with more Steinman material, but this was impossible due to the lawsuit against Steinman. The album, however, has gained a cult following over the years, citing the songs "Execution Day" and "Standing On The Outside" as standout tracks on the record. The video for "Getting Away With Murder" (along with "Modern Girl"), another single released from the album before its release, is one of the available videos to be viewed on Meat's artist's page on MTV.com, the artist page at one point citing that Blind Before I Stop should have been a hit.

1990s success

Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell

Due to the success of Meat Loaf's touring after his downfall, he and Steinman began work during the Christmas of 1990 on the sequel to Bat Out Of Hell. After two years, Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell was finished and became a success. It sold over 15 million copies, and the single "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" reached number one in 28 countries. Meat Loaf won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Solo in 1994 for "I'd Do Anything For Love".[6] This song stayed at #1 in the UK charts for seven consecutive weeks. The single features a female vocalist who was credited only as "Mrs. Loud." Mrs. Loud was later identified as Lorraine Crosby, a performer from North East England.[7]

Also in 1994, he was honored by singing "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Baseball All-Star Game (something he says was one of the two biggest highlights of his career). Meat Loaf attempted to follow the success of "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by releasing "Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through" as a follow-up; this song reached #13 in the US.

Arista Records, Meat Loaf's previous label, refused to put out more than one single from the new album and was not willing to take a financial chance finally decided against distributing Bat Out Of Hell II. The album was then recorded and distributed by Virgin Records, a decision that Arista regretted.[citation needed] Meat Loaf used the proceeds from the album Live at Wembley to cover the initial costs of producing the album.[citation needed]

Success after Bat Out Of Hell II

In 1995, Meat Loaf released his 7th studio album titled Welcome To The Neighborhood. The album was a huge success and went platinum in the United States and the UK. It released three singles which all hit the top 40, including I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth) (which reached #13 in the US and #2 in the UK charts) and "Not A Dry Eye In The House" (which reached #7 in the UK charts). "I'd Lie For You" was a duet with Patti Russo (who had been touring with Meat Loaf and singing on his albums since 1993).

The video, which had a bigger budget than any of his previous videos, helped the single in its success. Two of the twelve songs on the album were written by Jim Steinman, whereas the big hits, namely "I'd Lie For You" and "Not A Dry Eye In The House", were written by Diane Warren (who has since written for Meat Loaf on Couldn't Have Said It Better, and Bat III).

In 1998, Meat Loaf released The Very Best Of Meat Loaf. Although not reaching the top ten in the UK, it recently went platinum, and was already platinum around the rest of the world just after its release. The album featured all of Meat Loaf's best-known songs as well as a few from his more unknown albums from the 1980s. The album featured no songs from the album Blind Before I Stop. The album also featured three new songs. The music on the two Steinman songs was written and composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The single from the album was "Is Nothing Sacred", written by Jim Steinman with lyrics by Don Black. The single version of this song is a duet with Patti Russo, whereas the album version is a solo song by Meat Loaf.

In 2003, Meat Loaf released his album Couldn't Have Said It Better. The album was a minor success worldwide and reached #4 in the UK charts, accompanied by a sellout world tour which was used to promote the album and some of Meat Loaf's biggest hits. One such performance on his world tour was at the Australian NRL Grand Final in the same year. There were many writers for the album including Diane Warren and James Michael. Meat Loaf liked James Michael so much that he asked him to write a few songs on his 2006 album Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose.

Hair Of The Dog and the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

On February 20 - February 22, 2004, during Meat Loaf's Australian tour, Meat Loaf did his classics with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, titled Meat Loaf - Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. He went as far as to bring in the Australian Boy's Choir to do back-up on a Couldn't Have Said it Better track, "Testify". The show went on to spawn a DVD and a CD. The CD had few songs from the concert placed on it and were edited.

Meat Loaf sold out over 160 concerts during his 2005 tour, "Hair of the Dog". On November 17, 2003, during a performance at London's Wembley Arena, on his Couldn't Have Said It Better tour, he collapsed of what was later diagnosed as Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. The following week, he underwent a surgical procedure intended to correct the problem.[8] As a result, Meat Loaf's insurance agency did not allow him to perform for any longer than one hour and 45 minutes.

As well as singing all the classics, he sang a cover version of the hit single "Black Betty". During this tour Meat Loaf also sang "Only When I Feel", a song meant to appear on his then-upcoming album Bat Out Of Hell III. The song was subsequently left off the release. During this period Meat Loaf stated that this could be his last 'world' tour and that he would be doing less than a fifth of the concerts he did on his most recent tour.

Bat Out Of Hell III

Meat Loaf had begun to work on the third installment of Bat Out Of Hell with Steinman. The composer suffered some health setbacks, including a heart attack. According to Meat Loaf, Steinman was too ill to work on such an intense project, although the composer's health, according to his manager, was not an issue.[9]

Steinman had registered the phrase "Bat Out Of Hell" in 1995.[10] Meat Loaf sued Steinman and his manager, in a complaint filed May 28, 2006 in federal District Court in Los Angeles, California, for $50 million and to prevent further use by the writer/producer.[11] Steinman and his representatives attempted to block the album's release.[12]

An agreement was reached in Summer 2006. According to Virgin, "the two came to an amicable agreement that ensured that Jim Steinman's music would be a continuing part of the 'Bat Out Of Hell' legacy."[13]

The album was released on October 31, 2006, and was produced by Desmond Child. The first single from the album, "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" (featuring Marion Raven) was released on 16 October 2006. It entered the UK singles chart at No. 6, giving Meat Loaf his highest UK chart position since "I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)", a duet with Patti Russo that reached No. 2 in November 1995. The album debuted at #8 on the Billboard 200 and sold 81,000 copies in its opening week, but after that did not sell well in the US and yielded no hit singles. The album was certified gold.

In the weeks following the release of Bat III, Meat Loaf and the NLE (The Neverland Express) did a brief tour of America and Europe, known as the Bases Loaded Tour. In 2007, a newer, bigger worldwide tour began, with Marion Raven, serving as a supporting act, throughout the European and US tour.

Other work

Prior to the filming of Animal House, director John Landis met with Meat Loaf about playing the role of John "Bluto" Blutarsky in case John Belushi decided to refuse the part.[14]

In 2000, he appeared as the viral meningitis addled Confederate Colonel Angus Devine in the sixth season episode Gettysburg of The Outer Limits who is accidentally transported forward in time 150 years in a failed attempt to prevent the assassination of the President in 2013.

Meat Loaf appears as Jack Black's father in the 2006 film Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny. He also provides vocals on the film's opening song Kickapoo. In the special features and commentary of the film's DVD release, it is noted that this is the first time Meat Loaf has sung for a movie soundtrack since The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

He also appeared in a South Park Episode. In the episode, Chef attempts to sue an artist regarding her new hit song, saying that he created the song years ago. However, he is counter-sued by the artist's record company and needs to raise a large amount of money to pay bail. Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny decide to ask Chef's celebrity friends to create a benefit concert with the proceeds going to Chef. They visit people such as Meat Loaf and Elton John, who agree and provide a flashback reason for their decision. In Meat Loaf's flashback, he claims that he was starting out as an unsuccessful artist named Cous-cous, and after being booed off stage and almost deciding to quit, Chef tells him that his name might be the problem, and then hands him a plate of Meat Loaf to cheer him up.

Personal life

On August 26 to August 28, 2006, Meat Loaf took part in an annual celebrity golf version of the Ryder Cup called The All*Star Cup in South Wales, UK. August 26 was practice day, August 27 and August 28 were the two days of competition. Europe won the Cup for the second consecutive year. Meat lost his two games, but was a massive hit with the crowds, entertaining them with lots of laughs and fun as he made his way round the course. Alice Cooper was a fellow member of the US team. The event was a big success, with large crowds attending, and the two main days of competition were shown live on UK television.

Meat Loaf is one of the "famous faces"[15] due to being a regular player on the online poker website Hollywood Poker which is run in conjunction with Ongame Network.

In 1990, Meat Loaf joined Slim Fast and lost 84 pounds. Not only did he become $1 million richer, he even considered changing his name to Olive Loaf.[16]

Meat Loaf is said to have cheated death on numerous occasions, having crashed in a car which rolled over,[17] been hit on the head with a shot put,[18] and being struck by Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.[19] More recently, in October 2006, his private jet was almost forced to make an emergency landing at London's Stansted Airport after his plane's forward landing gear failed [citation needed].
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:52 am
Gwyneth Paltrow

Birth name Gwyneth Kate Paltrow
Born September 27, 1972 (1972-09-27) (age 35)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Spouse(s) Chris Martin (2003-)
Children Apple Martin (b.2004)
Moses Martin (b.2006)
Parents Bruce Paltrow (1943-2002)
Blythe Danner (b.1943)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actress
1998 Shakespeare in Love
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
1999 Shakespeare in Love
Screen Actors Guild Awards
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
1998 Shakespeare in Love
Best Cast - Motion Picture
1998 Shakespeare in Love

Gwyneth Kate Paltrow (born September 27, 1972[1]) is an Academy Award-winning American actress and singer.

Biography

Early life

Paltrow was born in Los Angeles, California to the late film and television director, writer, and producer Bruce Paltrow and actress Blythe Danner. Paltrow's father was Jewish and her mother was raised a Quaker; Paltrow herself follows the Jewish religion.[2][3] Raised in Santa Monica, she attended Crossroads School before moving and attending Spence School, a private girls' school in New York City. Later she briefly studied art history at the University of California, Santa Barbara, before discontinuing her degree and committing herself to acting. Paltrow has a younger brother, Jake Paltrow, and is a cousin of actress Katherine Moennig. She is an "adopted daughter" of Talavera de la Reina (Spain), where she lived as an exchange student and learned Spanish[4][5][6] Paltrow was childhood friends with Saturday Night Live's Maya Rudolph[7] and attended Brown Ledge Summer Camp, an all-girl's camp in Vermont.

Early career: 1990-1994

Paltrow made her professional stage debut in 1990. Her most recent stage appearance was in Proof at London's Donmar Warehouse. Her debut film was Shout (1991), and later the same year she played a small role in family friend Steven Spielberg's Hook (1991). In Hook, she played a young Wendy which garnered her attention from filmmakers. She also appeared in two more smaller roles, such as Malice, and Flesh and Bone.

Breakthrough: 1995-2000

Paltrow starred in Se7en (1995), opposite Brad Pitt, and Morgan Freeman. The film was hugely successful commercially and critically. Then in 1996 she starred in Emma, where she received strong positive critical acclaim, particularly in Europe, and Asia.

Two years later, Paltrow starred in Shakespeare in Love, an imagining of how William Shakespeare might have written Romeo and Juliet. The film received critical acclaim, earned more than $100 million in domestic box office receipts, and received numerous awards. Shakespeare in Love won the Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture-Musical or Comedy and Best Screenplay, as well as the Academy Award for Best Picture. Paltrow also won the award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role from the Screen Actors Guild. Later that year, Paltrow won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. After her Oscar win Paltrow starred in other movie roles such as A Perfect Murder. In 2000 Paltrow starred in The Talented Mr. Ripley which earned over $80 million domestically, and received positive reviews. She then starred in Bounce with Shakespeare in Love costar Ben Affleck, which was moderately successful, both critically and commercially.

Since then, she has had a relatively low-profile, yet steady, film career with a few critically acclaimed film roles, including Proof (2005) and The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)[citation needed]. Audiences got their first taste of Paltrow's singing ability with the 2000 release of Duets, in which she co-starred with singer Huey Lewis, who played her karaoke-hustling estranged father. Towards the end of the film, their characters resolve their differences and perform a cover version of Smokey Robinson's Cruisin'. The song, which surprised many of Paltrow's fans, was well-received and was eventually released as a single, getting heavy airplay from Top 40 and adult contemporary-formatted radio stations.

In an interview with The Guardian[8] on 27 January 2006, Paltrow admitted that she divided her career into those movies she did for love and those films she did for money. The Royal Tenenbaums, Proof, and Sylvia fell into the former category, whilst View From the Top and Shallow Hal were in the latter.[8] In interviews for Shallow Hal, she reported did some research for the role by wearing the fat suit she used during filming, and going to a local bar to gauge the public perception of obese people. She said that people refused to make eye contact with her, and she was treated quite rudely on multiple occasions, and the experience saddened her greatly, with regards to how people treat those who are overweight.

Since winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for Shakespeare in Love, Paltrow's career has declined considerably, with her most recent box-office smash being 1999's The Talented Mr. Ripley[9]

Other work

In May of 2005, Paltrow became the new face of Estée Lauder's Pleasures perfume. She appeared in Chicago on Aug. 17, 2007 to sign bottles of the perfume.[10] Estée Lauder donates a minimum of $500,000 of sales of items from the 'Pleasures Gwyneth Paltrow' collection to breast cancer research.[11]

Paltrow serves on the board of the Robin Hood Foundation, a charitable organization which attempts to allieviate problems caused by poverty in New York City.

Personal life

Paltrow is a descendent of a famous 17th century Polish rabbi, David HaLevi Segal of Cracow,[12] through the Russian rabbinical family, Paltrowitch, which produced thirty-three rabbis over several generations.[13] The actress has said she is very proud of being Jewish, and has attributed her father's warmth to his Jewish heritage:

"My father had that incredible Jewish warmth, really bolstering us [his children] all the time. And when you're nine years old and you're hearing that you are the best person, it gets in there, and you think, 'OK, I'm not going to be afraid to try things, because I'm always loved no matter what.' That kills me, when I think about it. It totally breaks my heart, how lucky I am."[14]

Paltrow had a much-publicized romance and engagement to Brad Pitt. She once stated that she regretted breaking up with Pitt, saying in an interview with Diane Sawyer that she wished Pitt well and could not believe he was with her when she was "such a mess." They were together for over three years. She has been linked romantically with Ben Affleck and Luke Wilson. She also been romantically linked with other actors and famous people viz: Chris Heinz (2000-01), and Robert Sean Leonard (2001).

On turning thirty, she says "I had the most incredible birthday weekend until my dad died on me like four days later," said Paltrow, who turned 30 on September 27, 2002. "It's been, in many ways, the worst year of my life and will continue to be."[14] On December 5, 2003, she married Chris Martin of the British rock group Coldplay in a secret wedding ceremony in Southern California. Paltrow gave birth to their first child, Apple Blythe Alison Martin, five months later, on May 14, 2004, in London. She explained the unusual first name on Oprah, saying,

" It sounded so sweet and it conjured such a lovely picture for me - you know, apples are so sweet and they're wholesome and it's biblical - and I just thought it sounded so lovely and...clean! And I just thought, "Perfect!"[15] "

Apple's godfather is Simon Pegg.[16] She currently resides in England and New York.

In January 2006, Paltrow announced that, "Since my daughter came along, I've not worked much through choice. And with another baby on its way, I don't think I will be doing a lot for the next year or so either." Her second child, Moses Bruce Anthony Martin, was born on April 8, 2006 in New York City's Mount Sinai Hospital. Her son's first name can be explained by the song that her husband wrote for her shortly before their secret wedding, called "Moses".

In May of 2005, she publicly announced that she suffered from depression after the death of her father Bruce Paltrow. She practices yoga, and follows a macrobiotic diet, although she told People in 2005 that, "I'm not as stringent as I was in the past. Now I'll have cheese once in a while or white flour, but I still believe in whole grains and no sugar." She admits a fondness for wine, however.

Paltrow earned the enmity of Sharon Stone due to her performance as Stone in a Saturday Night Live skit that poked fun at Stone and her then-husband, Phil Bronstein [17][18]. Paltrow is also good friends with Madonna and fashion designers Valentino and Stella McCartney. Steven Spielberg is a close family friend. She was best friends with Winona Ryder until her breakup with Ben Affleck.

On September 27, 2006 (her 34th birthday) Gwyneth sang a duet with rap legend Jay-Z during his history-making concert at Royal Albert Hall. She sang the chorus for Song Cry, from the rapper's classic Blueprint album.[19] In an interview prior to her appearance she indicated she would be attending the concert, but did not mention she would perform. She was also quoted as saying "I'm a Jay-Z fan. He's my best friend."[20] Her husband, Chris Martin, later performed the song Beach Chair with Jay-Z from the rapper's album Kingdom Come.

In December of 2006, Paltrow was reported on the Internet to have told Notícias Sábado, the weekend magazine supplement of Portuguese newspaper Diário de Notícias, that she thought British people were more civilized and intelligent than Americans.[21] Paltrow denied making the statements attributed to her and told People magazine that she never gave an interview to a Portuguese publication, but did a press conference in Spain where she tried to say in Spanish that Europe was an "older culture" and Americans "live to work."[22] Diário de Notícias later clarified in their December 6, 2006 edition that they had not obtained the quotes from an original interview or foreign press conference, but rather from previous English-language articles which are still referenced online.[8][23][24]

Stalker

Paltrow had a stalker in 1999 and 2000, who allegedly sent five to ten packages a week: everything from love notes, flowers and candy to religious tracts, pornography, dozens of letters a week, and over 1,200 emails. He also made a threat of a sexual nature and showed up repeatedly at her house, even after her mother, Blythe Danner warned him not to return. He persisted despite being warned by the FBI and was sentenced to several years in a mental institution.[25] The decision has since been overturned after jurists said that the stalker's request to be placed in conditional release program should have been considered.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:01 am
Wouldn't it be wonderful if this worked.

Tips for Handling Telemarketers
Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead
of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much
more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.
Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep"
tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which
has efficiently completed its task. These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the
other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls
and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This
technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real"
sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return
these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their
own junk mail away. When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope. Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 37 cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around
50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight.
In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put
it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas:

Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a
pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day,
then just send them their blank application back! If you want to
remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send
them. You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 37 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of
their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM
them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail,
and best of all they're paying for it... Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-
mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need
to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work.

THIS JUST MIGHT BE ONE E-MAIL YOU WILL WANT TO FORWARD TO YOUR
FRIENDS!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:18 am
Wow! Bob of Boston. You have a lot of background on famous folks today.

Thank you again for allowing us to know what the jet setters are doing.

We really are enlightened by your tips on the telemarketers, hawkman. Now I know from whence cometh the dead end phone calls. Makes us rest a little easier. As for the junk mail, I like the idea of "return to sender".

Well, folks, our Raggedy is still frozen out, and I don't think that snow shoes will help her one bit.

I'm a poor substitute (hmmm. that reminds me. Where is da big island man?)

Let's take a look at Will Sampson. AMC has been showing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and I recall his having killed Jack rather than let him live with a frontal lobotomy.

http://www.nndb.com/people/424/000123055/will-sampson-1-sized.jpg

Later, folks, I shall return with an Amerind song in honor of the man.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:56 am
Here it is, listeners.

Prayer (from the Navajo healing ceremony called Night Chant)

Tségihi,
House made of dawn.
House made of evening light.
House made of the dark cloud.
House made of male rain.
House made of dark mist.
House made of female rain.
House made of pollen.
House made of grasshoppers.
Dark cloud is at the door.
The trail out of it is dark cloud.
The zigzag lightning stands high upon it.
Male deity!
Your offering I make.
I have prepared a smoke for you.
Restore my feet for me.
Restore my legs for me.
Restore my body for me.
Restore my mind for me.
This very day take out your spell for me.
Your spell remove for me.
You have taken it away for me.
Far off it has gone.
Happily I recover.
Happily my interior becomes cool.
Happily I go forth.
My interior feeling cool, may I walk.
No longer sore, may I walk.
Impervious to pain, may I walk.
With lively feeling may I walk.
As it used to be long ago, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Happily, with abundant dark clouds, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant showers, may I walk.
Happily, with abundant plants, may I walk.
Happily, on a trail of pollen, may I walk.
Happily may I walk.
Being as it used to be long ago, may I walk.
May it be beautiful before me
May it be beautiful behind me.
May it be beautiful below me.
May it be beautiful above me.
With it be beautiful all around me.
In beauty it is finished.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:45 pm
stopped by the library to pick up some books we had ordererd and also grabbed a few cd's on the way out :wink:

here is dinah washington with tony bennett for your pleasure :

Quote:
What a Difference A Day Made

Dinah Washington, Tony Bennett

What a difference a day made
Twenty-four little hours
Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain

My yesterday was blue, dear
Today I'm part of you, dear
My lonely nights are through, dear
Since you said you were mine