WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:11 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:13 am
How's Business?

Here are some likely responses by various tradesmen.

Said the sailor, "Knot bad."

Said the coffee salesman, "It's a grind."

Said the drummer, "It's hard to beat."

Said the astronomer, "Things are looking up."

Said the dressmaker, "Just sew-sew."

Said the street cleaner, "Things are picking up."

Said the pianist, "Right on key."

Said the botanist, "Everything' s coming up roses."

Said the floor polisher, "Going smoothly."

Said the deep-sea diver, "I'm about to go under."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:44 am
Good morning WA2K.

Dick York, Mitiz Gaynor (I liked Mitzi in South Pacific) and Beyonce Knowles

http://blog.doctissimo.fr/php/blog/monenfance/images/masorcierebienaimee04.jpghttp://www.debra-paget.com/mitzigaynor/0toppic.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/beauties07/everyage/beyonce.jpg

Having some problems getting in here today. Anybody else?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:57 am
Hey, hawkman. How's business? Well, Boston, I think you just made a few observations about it in a pun sorta way. Thanks, buddy, for the bio's.

And, folks, there's our Raggedy with her fabulous faces. Great trio today, PA, and yes, MSN keepss highjacking our little radio station. I don't recall Mitizi in South Pacific but I did see where she sang, "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right out of my Hair". Good song along with "Sam and Janet" evening. (groan)

Well, here's one by Beyonce pointing to the signs of the times, and I don't think it has to do with astrology, but we'll play along with the girl just for the fun of it.

"Signs"

In December every sign has it's own mode
I was in love with a Sagittarius
See the emotions he put me through
From Capricorns to Aquarius
They all got their different minds
The affection of a Virgo
Which sign matches good with mine

I was in love with a Sagittarius he blew my mind
He also had a flip side too much like a Gemini
He was freaky like a Taurus the way he handled me yeah
Flirtatious like and Aries
Which sign is best for me?

Capricorn Aquarius Pisces Aries Taurus Gemini Cancer oh!
Leo Virgo Libra Scorpio Sagittarius
I love all y'all
I love all y'all

I wish he was a Virgo, the same sign as me
And know how to show me love, cause I've been hurt by a Pisces
REWIND
I wish he was a Virgo, the same sign as me
And know how to show me love, cause I've been hurt by a Pisces
I want him sexy like a Scorpio
The way he holds me close yeah
Sensitive as a Cancer
Every sign from coast to coast

I love all y'all
I love all y'all

I can't explain why I love him
Bossy like Leo's do
Got game like an Aquarius
Switch moves after he's been with you
Fun like a Libra
He stays on my mind
He's so unpredictable
He reminds me of every sign

I love all y'all
I love all y'all

Every sign from the first to the last
Everyday of the month has its good and its bad
I love you all, all12 signs

Every one of these signs you know you blowing me away
No matter when you're born for sure with me you okay
I love every one of y'all no matter what sign you are
January to December here's my open arms

I was in love with a Sagittarius [repeat out]
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 12:56 pm
we can definetely feel autumn coming in eastern ontario .
it's still nice and warm - 20 C rising to about 28 this weekend but some of the maples are turning red , birds are lining up on hydro and phone wires preparing for the flight south - some as far away as central and south-america .
some monarch butterflies are still hanging around - but they've likely missed the exodus over the labour-day weekend and won't make it to mexico - they PROCRASTINATED ! smelling the flowers a little too long !
nature can be cruel !
hbg

Quote:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 01:23 pm
Well, hbg, There is no autumn in Florida, but I love your song, Canada.

I thought the monarch butterfly had long vanished, so I am happy to know that you still have those beautifully colored winged ones.

I wish that I could find the poem that described how the leaves fall from the trees. The poet did the most beautiful direct metaphor, describing their descent as "one by one...golden birds with broken wings."

A nice memory for me, folks, before I play an autumn song. A stanza of the poem that my sister and I wrote together:

I said hello to autumn in the glade,
When first I saw the leaves come tumbling down.
Her garments were from changing leaves all made
And golden rod her bright and shining crown.

She made a hazy sky with just one look,
And turned the thistles to a whirling mass,
The ripened apples fell in every nook,
And grapes turned purple
Even as she passed.

Now for the REAL writers of music and done in a minor key

Autumn Leaves

(french lyrics by jacques prevert,
English lyrics by johnny mercer,
Music by joseph kosma)

The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon Ill hear old winters song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall

Cest une chanson, qui nous ressemble
Toi tu maimais et je taimais
Nous vivions tous, les deux ensemble
Toi que maimais moi qui taimais

Mais la vie spare ceux qui saiment
Tout doucement sans faire de bruit
Et la mer efface sur le sable les pas des amants dsunis
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 02:01 pm
Oh, yes, folks. Here's one for all of us PROCRASTINATORS"

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Butterflies/Monarch_passes.gif

I Meant To Do My Work Today
by Richard LeGallienne

I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand,
So what could I do but laugh and go?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:50 pm
And That Reminds Me
Della Reese

I hear the sound of music
Your favorite kind of music
And that reminds me dear of you
I see the summer roses
Your favorite shade of roses
And that reminds me to of you, dear

If I could hear no music
If there should be no roses
No summer nights to make me dream as I do
Perhaps, I might forget you
But in my heart I know
That I need no reminder to miss you so

I hear the sound of music
Your favorite kind of music
And that reminds me dear of you
I see the summer roses
Your favorite shade of roses
And that reminds me to of you, dear

If I could hear no music
If there should be no roses
No summer nights to make me dream as I do
Perhaps, I might forget you
But in my heart I know
That I need no reminder to miss you so

This was #9 in 1957
First charted 1 week after Della's version did
By Kay Starr as "My Heart Reminds Me" and #45 in 1969
By the Four Seasons as "And That Reminds Me (My Heart Reminds Me)"
She was born Delloreese Patricia Early
Backing vocals by the Honey Dreamers
It is the lyric version of the Italian instrumental "Autumn Concerto"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:09 am
Good September Morn, WA2K folks.

My word, I had forgotten that painting, but I recall that we discussed it many September's ago on our wee cyber station.

edgar, thanks for that song and the info behind Della. I recall the melody, and here's one by Willie Nelson.

Willie Nelson - September Song

Oh it's a long long while from May to December
But the days grow short when you reach September
When the autumn weather turns leaves to flame
One hasn't got time for the waiting game
Oh the days dwindle down to a precious few
September November and these few precious days I'll spend with you
These precious days I'll spend with you
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:21 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:23 am
Carol Lawrence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carol Lawrence (born as Carol Maria LaRaia on September 5, 1932, Melrose Park, Illinois) is a musical theater actress, who has also made many appearances on film and television (including Murder She Wrote, Saved by the Bell as well as the soap opera General Hospital).

Lawrence made her Broadway debut in 1952, and achieved outstanding success when she created the role of Maria in the original Broadway production of West Side Story in 1957. She received a Tony Award nomination for Best Leading Actress in a Musical for this role. She played the role for two years, and after an appearance in the show Saratoga returned to West Side Story for its 1960 season. Among her other Broadway successes was Kiss of the Spider Woman from 1993 until 1995.

She has played several roles at The Muny in St. Louis which is the oldest and largest outdoor theater in the USA, including Fanny Brice in Funny Girl (1975), Charity in Sweet Charity (1977), and Lucille Early in No, No, Nanette (1990).

Lawrence won the Harvard Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year Award in 1960.

She was married and divorced three times, most prominently to actor/singer Robert Goulet (from 1963 until 1981), by whom she has two children.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:28 am
Raquel Welch
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Jo Raquel Tejada
Born September 5, 1940 (1940-09-05) (age 67)
Chicago, Illinois,
United States
Spouse(s) James Westley Welch (1959-1964)
Patrick Curtis (1967-1972)
Andre Weinfeld (1980-1990)
Richard Palmer (1990-present)
[show]Awards
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical/Comedy
1975 The Three Musketeers

Jo Raquel Tejada (born September 5, 1940), best known by her stage name Raquel Welch, is an American actress who reached fame during the 1960s.

Early life

Welch was born in Chicago, Illinois, the oldest of three children born to Armando Carlos Tejada Urquizo and Josephine Sarah Hall. Her father, who immigrated from La Paz, Bolivia, was an aerospace engineer of Castilian Spanish descent; her mother was an Irish-American.[1]

In 1942, Armando Tejada was transferred to San Diego, California. The family moved to the suburb of La Jolla, where Welch grew up. She took dancing lessons as a child, and was winning beauty pageants by the time she was a teenager. Among her titles were "Miss Photogenic," "Miss La Jolla," "Miss Contour," and "Miss San Diego." In 1957, she was named "Miss Fairest of the Fair" at the San Diego County Fair. After attending La Jolla High School, she entered San Diego State College on a theater arts scholarship. The following year she married a high school sweetheart, James Welch.

Career

In 1959, Welch played the title role in the famous Ramona Pageant, a yearly outdoor play at Hemet, California, which is based on the novel Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson.

She became a weather forecaster at KFMB, a local San Diego television station. Because of her heavy schedule, she decided to leave college. Her marriage broke up and she moved with her two children to Dallas, Texas, where she modeled for Neiman Marcus and worked as a cocktail hostess, intending to move on to New York City from there.

Instead, Welch moved back to California. She found a place in Los Angeles and started making the rounds of the movie studios. She was cast in bit parts in two films and in the television shows Bewitched, McHale's Navy, The Hollywood Palace, and The Virginian. She auditioned for the part of "Mary Ann" on Gilligan's Island but lost out to Dawn Wells.[citation needed]

Welch's first featured role was in A Swingin' Summer, which led to a contract with 20th Century Fox. She was then cast in the Sci-fi hit Fantastic Voyage (1966), which finally made her a star.

On loan out to Hammer Studios in Britain, Welch starred in the remake of One Million Years B.C.. After her appearance as Lust incarnate in the hitBedazzled, she returned to the United States and appeared in a Western with James Stewart and Dean Martin titled Bandolero!, which was followed by Lady in Cement with Frank Sinatra.

Welch's first real starring role was in Myra Breckinridge with Mae West. She took the role as the film's transsexual heroine in an attempt to be taken seriously as an actress, but the movie turned out to be a dismal failure.

Welch became one of the leading sex symbols of the 1960s and 1970s. Her most memorable publicity still, where she was clad in a furry animal-skin bikini for One Million Years B.C., became a bestselling poster. Playboy called her the "Most Desired Woman" of the 1970s. Ironically, despite her iconic sex symbol status, having acted in numerous films and been subject of countless magazine layouts, including Playboy, Welch has never appeared or posed nude.

Welch was due to star in the 1982 adaptation of Cannery Row, but was fired by the producers only a few days into production (allegedly, she was taking too long to get ready each day). She was replaced with Debra Winger. Welch successfully sued, collecting a multi-million dollar award, but this effectively ended her film acting career until the mid-1990s. Her television appearances include the series The Hollywood Palace, the made for TV movies The Legend of Walks Far Woman and Right to Die, in which she turned in a stirring performance as a woman with Lou Gehrig's disease, and in the PBS series American Family, about a Mexican American family in East Los Angeles. She has also appeared in the night time soap opera Central Park West and made infomercials and exercise videos. While she never appeared on the show, her name was frequently used as an all-purpose answer on the game show Match Game. In 1987, she flirted with a pop singing career, releasing the dance single This Girl's Back In Town.

She has also performed in a nightclub act in Las Vegas and has starred on Broadway in Woman of the Year and in Victor/Victoria, replacing Julie Andrews.

In a 1997 episode of the comedy series Seinfeld entitled "The Summer of George" Welch played a highly temperamental version of herself, assaulting series stars Kramer and Elaine, the former because he fired her from an acting job and the latter because Welch mistakenly thought that Elaine was mocking her.

On July 18, 2007 Liz Smith reported that Welch has been invited to play Eva Longoria's sexy aunt on Desperate Housewives.[2]

Beauty business career

"The Raquel Welch Total Beauty and Fitness Program" was published in 1984. The book, written by Welch herself includes a Hatha Yoga fitness program, her views on healthy living/nutrition, as well as beauty and personal style.

As a businesswoman Welch has experienced great success with her signature line of wigs. She also began a jewelry and skincare line although neither of those ventures compared to the success of her wig collection.

In January 2007 she was revealed as the newest face of MAC Cosmetics Beauty Icon series. Her line features several limited edition makeup shades in glossy black and tiger print packaging.

Latin American status

Her professional name, Raquel Welch, served as protection against discrimination in Hollywood.[citation needed] Many other stars did the same in times prior to the 1990s. The names included people like Rita Hayworth. With the recent attention and acceptance by the American public of people of Latin descent, she has been coming out and reminding people of her Hispanic heritage.[citation needed]

On July 18, 2007 Liz Smith reported that Welch is proud of her Bolivian roots.[2]

Personal life

She has been married to James Welch (1959-1962), publicist and agent; Patrick Curtis (1967-1972), director/producer Andre Weinfeld (1980-1990); and Richard Palmer (1999).
She is the mother of Damon Welch (b.November 6,1959) and actress Tahnee Welch(b.December 26,1961).
She is a fan of Chelsea FC, or was "in the '70s".[3]
During the 70s, she attempted to date shock rocker Alice Cooper. He attempted to avoid her since he was dating a dancer that would become his wife

Achievements and awards

In 1974, Raquel Welch won a Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Actress in a Musical or Comedy for The Three Musketeers. She was also nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance in the TV drama Right to Die (1987).

She was also the recipient of the Golden Turkey Award for worst actress.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood.

Trivia

Raquel Welch is a relative of the only female president of Bolivia, Lydia Gueiler Tejada.
Raquel Welch's son, Damon Welch, married Rebecca Trueman, the daughter of cricketing legend Fred Trueman, a union of the acting and sporting worlds but the marriage was short-lived. Raquel Welch arrived at the wedding after the bride, completely upstaging her. She claimed at the time that her lateness was because she had been giving an interview and lost track of the time, but later she admitted that she had done it on purpose, knowing that the press would write about her, so she planned to give them something to write about. When the couple announced they were splitting up in Hello!, they emphatically denied that the split was anything to do with Welch.
Raquel Welch's daughter, Tahnee Welch followed her mother's December 1979 example and appeared on the cover of Playboy, the November 1995 issue.
Raquel's publicity poster for the movie One Million Years B.C. played an integral role in the film The Shawshank Redemption, by serving to hide the tunnel Andy Dufresne was digging to escape from Shawshank.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:31 am
A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and
help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to
get it started." Her boyfriend asks, "What is it supposed to be when
it's finished?" The blonde says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger."

Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She lets
him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says, "First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a tiger."

He takes her hand and says, "Second, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then .." He sighed........

"Let's put all the Frosted Flakes back in the box......."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:39 am
Aaah. Walter Huston's Knickerbocker Holiday song. Love it.

And remember this one?

The leaves of brown, came tumbling down, remember
That september, in the rain
The sun went out just like a dying ember

To every word of love I've heard you whisper
All the raindrops seem to play a sweet refrain
Though spring is here, to me it's still september

The leaves of brown, came tumbling down, remember
The sun went out just like a dying ember

To every word of love I've heard you whisper
All the raindrops seem to play a sweet refrain
Though spring is here, to me it's still september

Ooooh. Just saw Bob. I'll be back.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:48 am
Well, hawkman, Tony the tiger will never seem the same again. Love it, Boston and thanks for the bio's.

Hey, puppy. Scamper back in to our studio when ready, PA, and I love the song that you just played.

Until our photographer is ready, here is the romantic version of Jesse James by none other than Van Morrison. We love to love the bad boys, right?

The Ballad of Jesse James
Artist(Band):Van Morrison

(Traditional)

Jesse James was a man
And he killed many men
He robbed the Glendale train
And he took from the richer
And he gave that to the poorer
He'd a hand and a heart and a brain

Oh Jesse had a wife to mourn for his life
Three children they were so brave
But that dirty little coward
That shot Mr. Howard
Has laid Jesse James in his grave

(Instrumental)

On Wednesday night
When the moon was shining bright
They robbed that Glendale train
And the folks from miles about (yeah they can)
They all said without a doubt
It was done by her Frankie and Jesse James (yes it was)

Oh Jessie had a wife, to mourn for his life
That shot Mr. Howard
Has laid (poor) Jesse James in his grave

(Instrumental)

Well the people held their breath
When they heard about Jesse's death (yeah)
And they wondered how poor Jesse came to die (how did he die?)
It was one of his guys, called Little Robert Ford
And he shot Jessie James on the sly

Oh Jessie had a wife to mourn for his life
That shot Mr. Howard
Has laid Jesse James in his grave
Has laid poor Jesse in his grave
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:21 pm
Our Raggedy is having problems accessing our cyber studio, so no collage today, folks. I have, however, paged our M.D. to be a substitute but we will have to wait and see if he's involved with "chess" surgery.

This song by Bob Dylan is supposed to be about a failed romance with Raquel Welch from his album Time Out of Minds, so let's listen until we see what happens.

Hmmm, it's rather lengthy, listeners.

Well my heart's in the Highlands gentle and fair
Honeysuckle blooming in the wildwood air
Bluebelles blazing, where the Aberdeen waters flow
Well my heart's in the Highland,
I'm gonna go there when I feel good enough to go

Windows were shakin' all night in my dreams
Everything was exactly the way that it seems
Woke up this morning and I looked at the same old page
Same ol' rat race
Life in the same ol' cage.

I don't want nothing from anyone, ain't that much to take
Wouldn't know the difference between a real blonde and a fake
Feel like a prisoner in a world of mystery
I wish someone would come
And push back the clock for me

Well my heart's in the Highlands wherever I roam
That's where I'll be when I get called home
The wind, it whispers to the buckeyed trees in rhyme
Well my heart's in the Highland,
I can only get there one step at a time.

I'm listening to Neil Young, I gotta turn up the sound
Someone's always yelling turn it down
Feel like I'm drifting
Drifting from scene the scene
I'm wondering what in the devil could it all possibly mean?

Insanity is smashing up against my soul
You can say I was on anything but a roll
If I had a conscience, well I just might blow my top
What would I do with it anyway
Maybe take it to the pawn shop

My heart's in the Highlands at the break of dawn
By the beautiful lake of the Black Swan
Big white clouds, like chariots that swing down low
Well my heart's in the Highlands
Only place left to go

I'm in Boston town, in some restaurant
I got no idea what I want
Well, maybe I do but I'm just really not sure
Waitress comes over
Nobody in the place but me and her

It must be a holiday, there's nobody around
She studies me closely as I sit down
She got a pretty face and long white shiny legs
I said "tell me what I want"
She says, "You probably want, hard boiled eggs?"

I say "That's right, bring me some"
She says "We aint got any, you picked the wrong time to come"
Then she says, "I know you're an artist, draw a picture of me!"
I say, "I would if I could, but,
I don't do sketches from memory."

"Well", she says, "I'm right here in front of you, or haven't you looked?"
I say," all right, I know, but I don't have my drawing book!"
She gives me a napkin, she says, "you can do it on that"
I say, "yes I could but,
I don't know where my pencil is at!"

She pulls one out from behind her ear
She says "all right now, go ahead, draw me, I'm standing right here"
I make a few lines, and I show it for her to see
Well she takes a napkin and throws it back
And says "that don't look a thing like me!"

I said, "Oh, kind miss, it most certainly does"
She says, "you must be jokin.'" I say, "I wish I was!"
Then she says, "you don't read women authors, do you?"
Least that's what I think I hear her say,
"Well", I say, "how would you know and what would it matter anyway?"

"Well", she says, "you just don't seem like you do!"
I said, "you're way wrong."
She says, "which ones have you read then?" I say, "I read Erica Jong!"
She goes away for a minute and I slide up out of my chair
I step outside back to the busy street, but nobody's going anywhere

Well my heart's in the Highlands, with the horses and hounds
Way up in the border country, far from the towns
With the twang of the arrow and a snap of the bow
My heart's in the Highlands
Can't see any other way to go

Every day is the same thing out the door
Feel further away then ever before
Some things in life, it gets too late to learn
Well, I'm lost somewhere
I must have made a few bad turns

I see people in the park forgetting their troubles and woes
They're drinking and dancing, wearing bright colored clothes
All the young men with their young women looking so good
Well, I'd trade places with any of them
In a minute, if I could

I'm crossing the street to get away from a mangy dog
Talking to myself in a monologue
I think what I need might be a full length leather coat
Somebody just asked me
If I registered to vote

The sun is beginning to shine on me
But it's not like the sun that used to be
The party's over, and there's less and less to say
I got new eyes
Everything looks far away

Well, my heart's in the Highlands at the break of day
Over the hills and far away
There's a way to get there, and I'll figure it out somehow
But I'm already there in my mind
And that's good enough for now
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:59 pm
Pavarotti apparently is at death's door. Sorry it has to happen.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 04:34 am
Good morning, WA2K radio folks.

edgar, I just read where Pavarotti has died. One of the three tenors has now departed. He will be greatly missed.

Dedicated to him from our station, a perfect aria by Joe Green.

Celeste Aida, forma divina,
Mistico serto di luce e fior,
Del mio pensiero tu sei regina,
Tu di mia vita sei lo splendor.
Il tuo bel cielo vorrei ridarti,
Le dolci breeze del patrio suol;
Un regal serto sul crin posarti,
Ergerti un trono vicino al sol, ah!

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Heavenly Aida, goddess of beauty,
garland of flowers and of bright light.
You are the ruler of all of my thoughts,
you are the splendor of my whole life.
I'll bring you back, yes, to your lovely skies
to the soft breezes of your native land.
I'll place a royal wreath upon your crown,

Our M.D. is about to embark upon a teaching experience, so could not sub for the pup. Hope things work out today in PA.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:04 am
Written by: neil diamond and gilbert becaud

Stay for just a while
Stay, and let me look at you
Its been so long, I hardly knew you
Standing in the door
Stay with me a while
I only want to talk to you
Weve traveled halfway round the world
To find ourselves again