bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:57 am
Donnie Wahlberg
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Donald Edmond Wahlberg
Born August 17, 1969 (1969-08-17) (age 38)
Dorchester, Massachusetts, USA
Spouse(s) Kim Fey (1999 - present) 2 children

Donald Edmond Wahlberg, Jr. (born August 17, 1969) is an American actor and producer. He was a member of the popular 1980s and 1990s boy band New Kids on the Block and is the older brother of fellow actor Mark Wahlberg. With a background that includes music, feature films, and television, Wahlberg is now working as a producer.

Biography

Early life

Wahlberg was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts, as the eighth of nine children, with older siblings Arthur, Jim, Paul, Robert, and Tracey, Michelle, Debbie, and younger sibling Mark. His father, Donald Edward Wahlberg, was a delivery driver, and his mother, Alma Elaine Donnelly, was a nurse and bank employee;[1] the two divorced in 1982.[2] His paternal grandfather was of Swedish descent, while the majority of his other ancestry is Irish.[3]

Wahlberg began performing in plays as early as the first grade. In high school, he attended a fledgling arts program and became involved in theatre, acting, writing, and directing plays, although all of his teachers agreed his acting talent was miniscule. In April 1991 he was charged and arrested with first degree arson. He apparently was trying to set a hotel on fire with a molotov cocktail fire bomb. These charges were later reduced then dropped because he agreed to do public service commercials.

Career

At age fifteen, Wahlberg joined New Kids on the Block and in a few years they went from playing at high school parties to becoming the pop music sensation. Donnie was known as the "bad boy" of the group and was known to curse during live performances on awards shows. In 1990, Wahlberg scored a hit on the Top 100 with "The Right Combination", a duet with Japanese pop star Seiko Matsuda who was attempting to cross over to North America from the Japanese market. Following the group's disbanding in 1994, Wahlberg made a decision to go in another direction, focusing on writing and producing for his younger brother, Mark Wahlberg. He was later offered the chance to reunite with his bandmates for a VH1 television show, but like a majority of the group, he declined, citing his desire to focus on his acting career.

In 1994, Wahlberg was a special guest celebrity at WrestleMania X, acting as special guest ring announcer for the main event, as well as joining Bret Hart, along with other wrestlers, in celebrating his World Championship win.

As an actor, Wahlberg's first film appearance was in the 1996 film Bullet with Mickey Rourke, a project that lit a spark in him, motivating him to continue to work on his craft. Also in 1996, he appeared as a kidnapper in over his head in Ransom with Mel Gibson. Wahlberg received attention for his role in the 1999 film The Sixth Sense, playing the distraught patient of Bruce Willis's character in the opening sequence. This role was originally intended for a 13-year-old boy until Wahlberg met with writer and director M. Night Shyamalan to inquire about obtaining the rights for a theatre production and ended up getting this pivotal role.

In 2001, Wahlberg co-starred as 2nd Lieutenant C. Carwood Lipton in the Emmy Award-winning television miniseries Band of Brothers. Wahlberg also starred in the 2002-2003 NBC drama series Boomtown as Joel Stevens, an intense Los Angeles police detective struggling to keep his troubled home life private while remaining dedicated to facing the challenges of his daily work life. Graham Yost, executive producer and writer of Boomtown, had worked with Wahlberg in Band of Brothers and was so impressed by his performance that he wrote the role of Joel Stevens specifically for him.

2003 was also the year that Wahlberg starred along side Timothy Olyphant and Jason Lee as the mentally challenged Duddits in William Goldman and Lawrence Kasdan's adaptation of the Stephen King alien-invasion thriller, Dreamcatcher. In 2005, Wahlberg starred as Detective Eric Matthews in the second installment of the Saw series. He reprised the role for Saw III.

In early 2006, Wahlberg played the significant role of Lt. Burton in the military slash boxing drama, Annapolis. In September 2006, he had the lead role of the short-lived television drama Runaway on The CW. The show was cancelled in October 2006, as it had very poor ratings and failed to make an impact. In 2007, he starred alongside Jason Gedrick, Ricardo Chaivera, and Nadine Velasquez in the television movie Kings of South Beach on A&E.

Recently, Wahlberg said he was going to be in Saw 4 reprising as Detective Eric Matthews. He also stated that he was going to be in The Righteus Kill in which also are starring Robert de Niro and Al Pacino.

"It's just my goal is not to be a superstar" Wahlberg says of his career, "my goal is to be super at what I do."[4]

Personal life

Wahlberg is a body art enthusiast; he has had his left ear pierced four times, as well as piercings in his left nostril and his left nipple. He also has a tattoo of his family crest on his left arm. Wahlberg lives in Los Angeles with his wife Kim, and sons Xavier and Elijah.

Wahlberg is one of the "famous faces" [5]. due to being a regular player on the online poker website Hollywood Poker which is run in conjunction with Ongame Network.

A nickname by which Wahlberg has been known is "Dennis Cheese", and he is credited this way for the rap he performs on Tiffany's song "New Inside", the title track to her 1990 album.

Wahlberg is a Boston Celtics fan, as he can be seen attending the games and joining Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman announcing the game as a special guest. His favorite book is The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
A gorgeous young redhead goes into the doctor's office and said that her body hurt wherever she touched it.
"Impossible! " says the doctor. "Show me."
The redhead took her finger, pushed on her left shoulder and screamed,
then she pushed her elbow and screamed even more. She pushed her knee and screamed;
likewise she pushed her ankle and screamed. Everywhere she touched made her scream.
The doctor said, "You're not really a redhead, are you?
"Well, no" she said, "I'm actually a blonde."
"I thought so," the doctor said. "Your finger is broken."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:24 am
Good Morning WA2K.

That's a cute one, Bob. Very Happy

Mae West; Georgia Gibbs; Maureen O'Hara (TCM ran Hunchback of Notre Dame with Maureen and Laughton this A.M., but I didn't watch it. It's too sad; loved her in How Green Was My Valley); Glenn Corbett; Robert DeNiro; Sean Penn; Donnie Wahlberg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/57/220px-MaeWest.jpghttp://www.venerablemusic.com/images/CoverImages/ASL_5614.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/64/180px-Maureen_O%27Hara.jpg
http://retrotv.uol.com.br/rota66/Rota66-20.jpghttp://www.robertdeniro.com.ar/pictures/robert-deniro7.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/4/4b/200px-SeanPenn(CannesRedCarpet)-.jpg
http://www.hollywoodpoker.com/images2/green-room/gr-tv-runaway.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:45 am
Well, well, folks. The hawk and the puppy arrived at the same time today. Thanks, Bob, for the great bio's and to the pup a salute for the wonderful photo's. We all enjoy B.B.'s little funnies about blondes. Makes us smile. right listeners?

Raggedy, Maureen was Esmerelda? Wow! I would have loved to have seen that one, PA.

Here's a cute song from Mae West, queen of the double entendre.

That's All Brother, That's All"

I've the tiniest confession
I distinctly loath suppression
Since I only have one life
I want to live it
Well I've clowned around a lot
Well I've found what hits the spot
If I've something good to give
I want to give it
Now those censors say I'm naughty and no dice
But I've heard it said what's naughty can be nice
It's not what I say, it's the way that I say it
That's all brother, that's all
It's not what I play, it's the way that I play it
Now maybe they'd picture me as little Snow White
With seven dwarves to entertain
I should do all right
But should I ask to concentrate on one dwarf a night
It's not what I tell, it's the way that I tell it
It's not what I sell, it's the way that I sell it
They'd have me play that little girl all dressed in red
I'd make a good red riding hood somebody said
But should they find me with a wolf in my grandmother's bed
Now please don't misunderstand me
I take much of what they hand me
Though it cramps my style I'll never be defeated
Since I've always found response
Well, I know what the public wants
And just as long as there's a West
It won't be cheated
While my censor friends are turning both thumbs down
Just like many I'll still kick that guy around
It's not what I wear, it's the way that I wear it
It's not what I share, it's the way that I share it
That's all brother, that's all I like a love scene that's as hot as can be
So they said Cinderella played one something to see
But if they think a fairy prince can play games with me
It's not what I know, it's the way that I know it
It's not what I show, it's the way that I show it
They'd have me portray that maiden so sweet
That girlie with the mortgage due and little to eat
But if I call to the butcher boy to bring me some meat

Hooray for Mae.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:17 am
Ditto that Hooray. Laughing

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1228/1815_0010.jpg

Did you know that Maureen played Lady Godiva? Smile

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/510NNA87JCL._AA280_.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:00 am
Ah, Raggedy. The Hunchback of Notre Dame. What a lovely woman Maureen O'Hara is, and I did not know that she played Lady Godiva, PA.

Thanks again, puppy, for keeping us apprised of the film facts.

Speaking of little known items in movies, I just discovered that DeNiro's Raging Bull contained a song called "Stone Cold Dead in the Market." It's a calypso song, and I need to do more research to discover the lyrics and background.

In the interim, here's an oldie by Georgia Gibbs.

Seven lonely days make one lonely week
Seven lonely nights make one lonely me
Ever since the time you told me we were thru
Seven lonely days I cried and I cried for you

Oh, my darlin' you're cryin', boo-hoo-hoo-hoo
There's no use in denyin' I cried for you
It was your favorite pastime, makin' me blue
Last week was the last time I cried for you

Seven hankies blue I filled with my tears
Seven letters, too, I filled with my fears
Guess it never pays to make your lover blue
Seven lonely days I cried and I cried for you

Oh, my darlin you're cryin', boo-hoo-hoo-hoo
Now, there's no use in denyin' I cried for you
It was your favorite pastime, makin' me blue
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
Speaking of little known items in movies, I just discovered that DeNiro's Raging Bull contained a song called "Stone Cold Dead in the Market." It's a calypso song, and I need to do more research to discover the lyrics and background.

I have a recording of that song by Belafonte. I believe somebody like Louis Jordan had the original version.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
edgar, you are funny. I couldn't access Ella's version of Stone Cold Dead, but it was Wilmoth Houdini who did the original. (whoever he is).

I didn't see Raging Bull so I was at somewhat of a disadvantage. Hope that you can find Harry's version, buddy, cause the only luck that I have had is this one.

He lies Stone Cold Dead In The Market
Stone Cold Dead in the Market he lies Cold Stone Dead In The Market
I killed nobody but me husband.

One night he went out drinking
When he came home he gave me a beating
So I cotched up the rollin' pin
And on his head
Went to work until I boshed it in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:43 pm
I was speaking from memory. Louis Jordan did the song, perhaps not first, as I stated. I have a five CD set of Belafonte's earliest recordings, and that happens to be one of the songs on it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:20 pm
Well, Texas, your words were so close to mine that I thought you were joking, honey.

Here is some background on Wilmoth, folks.

Born: Nov 25, 1895 in Port of Spain, Trinidad
Died: Aug 6, 1973 in New York, NY
Genre: World
Styles: Caribbean
Biography
Wilmoth Houdini earned his moniker as the Calypso King of New York in the 1930s and 1940s, due in part to the many calypso events he organized in the Big Apple, but his own personal history is a bit harder to pin down. Most sources claim he was born November 25, 1895 (some have placed the birth date a year later) in Port of Spain, Trinidad, although in a profile written by New Yorker writer Joseph Mitchell in 1939, Houdini claims to have been born in 1902 in Brooklyn and states that his family didn't move to Trinidad until he was two years old. Even his birth name is somewhat unclear, although it appears to have been Frederick Wilmoth Hendricks, although Mitchell states in his New Yorker profile that the name on Houdini's passport read Edgar Leon Sinclair.

Here the rest of the story.

http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16101315&menu=bio
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:07 pm
Here's a picture of Wilmoth

http://www.calypsoworld.org/artists/10231u-t.jpg

Well, folks, it seems that neither edgar nor I can locate the song by Louis Jordan nor Ella Fitzgerald, so here is another serendipity.

John wrote this for Jacques Ives Cousteau because his boat was called Calypso.

Calypso
John Denver

To sail on a dream on a crystal clear ocean,
to ride on the crest of a wild raging storm
To work in the service of life and living,
in search of the answers of questions unknown
To be part of the movement and part of the growing,
part of beginning to understand,

Aye Calypso the places you've been to,
the things that you've shown us,
the stories you tell
Aye Calypso, I sing to your spirit,
the men who have served you so long and so well

Hi dee ay-ee ooo doo-dle oh
oo do do do do do doo-dle ay yee
doo-dle ay ee

Like the dolphin who guides you, you bring us beside you
To light up the darkness and show us the way
For though we are strangers in your silent world
To live on the land we must learn from the sea
To be true as the tide and free as a wind swell
Joyful and loving in letting it be

Aye Calypso the places you've been to,
the things that you've shown us,
the stories you tell
Aye Calypso, I sing to your spirit,
the men who have served you so long and so well

Hi dee ay-ee ooo doo-dle oh
oo do do do do do doo-dle ay yee
doo-dle ay ee

he dee Ay-ee
Hi dee oh ooo
hi dee ayee
hi dee oh ooo
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:01 pm
Of all thing, folks, a mangy dog found what neither edgar nor I could find.

Stone Cold Dead in the Market
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan

He's stone cold dead in the market
I killed nobody but me husband

Last night I went out drinking
When I came home I gave her a beating
So she catched up the rolling pin
And she worked on my head until she bashed it in

I lie cold dead in the market
Stone cold dead in the market
She killed nobody but her husband

I licked him when he fought on the frying pan
Then if I killed him, he had it coming

My family they're swearing to kill her
My family they're swearing to kill her
His family they're swearing to kill me
And if I killed him, he had it coming

I lie cold dead in the market, child
Cold dead in the market, child
She killed nobody but her husband

There is one thing that I am sure
He ain't going to beat me no more
So I tell you that I doesn't care
if I was to die in the electric chair

Hey child I'm coming back and bash you on your head one more time
No no mon you can't do that
Stone cold dead in the market, murder
Stone cold dead in the market,
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:00 pm
Wilmoth Houdini earned his moniker as the Calypso King of New York in the 1930s and 1940s, due in part to the many calypso events he organized in the Big Apple, but his own personal history is a bit harder to pin down. Most sources claim he was born November 25, 1895 (some have placed the birth date a year later) in Port of Spain, Trinidad, although in a profile written by New Yorker writer Joseph Mitchell in 1939, Houdini claims to have been born in 1902 in Brooklyn and states that his family didn't move to Trinidad until he was two years old. Even his birth name is somewhat unclear, although it appears to have been Frederick Wilmoth Hendricks, although Mitchell states in his New Yorker profile that the name on Houdini's passport read Edgar Leon Sinclair.

What is clear, however, is that he grew up mostly in Trinidad, eventually taking Houdini as a performing name. That was the name he was going by in 1916 when he became a chantwell (lead singer) for the African Millionaires, a 25-person street carnival group in Trinidad. In the mid-'20s he worked aboard ocean freighters, visiting North and South America, Europe, and Africa, finally landing in New York around 1927, where he seemingly immediately began recording calypso pieces with local jazz and string bands like Gerald Clark's Night Owls, including the interesting LP Harlem Seen Through Calypso Eyes, which was released by Decca Records in 1940.

Houdini was incredibly prolific, composing reportedly thousands of songs, many of them brilliant, spur-of-the-moment constructions, and he released well over a hundred different 78s between 1928 and 1940. A song Houdini had recorded in 1939, "He Had It Coming," was covered by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan as "Stone Cold Dead in the Market" in 1946 and shot to the top of the R&B charts, where it remained for five weeks, even crossing over to reach number seven on the pop charts. The success of the song brought Houdini a great deal of attention, and he used his high-profile situation to promote and organize a series of calypso concerts and festivals in the city, and he was greatly respected within New York's Caribbean community for his efforts (although in Trinidad he was often targeted in local calypso songs as an outsider -- leading to Houdini's 1934 retort called "Declaration of War").

Houdini died on August 6, 1977, in New York, and if it turns out he wasn't actually born in the city, he certainly spent most of his life there. Both Brunswick and Folklyric released roughly the same set of Houdini 78s recorded between 1928 and 1940 as an LP (called Songs of Trinidad by the former label and Calypso Classics from Trinidad by the latter), and the Folklyric set was reissued on LP in 1984 by Arhoolie Records, then re-released by Arhoolie on CD under the title Poor But Ambitious in 1993 with an additional eight tracks that Houdini recorded in the mid-'40s added. ~ Steve Leggett, All Music Guide
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:02 pm
This Is It
Jim Reeves

Well, this is it, that day is here
The day I knew would come
When you would leave me dear

Well, here I sit, while teardrops fall
And wonder why I care
When you don't care at all

But I'm a fool that way
From a-way back when
A fool who'd take you back
If you'd come back again

But, this is it, you're gone, you're free
You'll find another love but this is it for me

Well, this is it, that day is here
It's no surprise and yet
I can't hold back the tears

Well, here I sit and try to guess
How such an empty room
So full of loneliness

Well, even the clock has stopped
Somehow I guess it knew
That time's run out of me
It's over it's all through

Yes, this is it, you're gone, you're free
You'll find another love
But this is it for me
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:08 pm
JOHN WESLEY HARDING

Words and Music by Bob Dylan

John Wesley Harding
Was a friend to the poor,
He traveled with a gun in ev'ry hand.
All across the countryside,
He opened many a door,
But he was never known
To hurt an honest man.

'Twas down in Chaynee County,
A time they talk about,
With his lady by his side
He took a stand.
And soon the situation there
Was all but straightened out,
For he was always known
To lend a helping hand.

All across the telegraph
His name it did resound,
But no charge held against him
Could they prove.
And there was no man around
Who could track or chain him down,
For he was never known
To make a foolish move.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:20 pm
Fools Like Me

Everybody tells me love is blind maybe so cause I refuse to see
Everybody tells me things you do but I don't care cause I'm a fool for you
It doesn't really matter what you are it only matters what you are to me
Maybe I'm not wise enough to see but where would love be without fools like me
[ piano ]
Maybe lovin' you is not so smart cause maybe in the end you'll break my heart
I really shouldn't love you but I do and I can't stop cause I'm a fool for you
I only hope this kind of love is real cause I can't ever change the way I feel
Maybe baby I'm not wise enough to see but where would love be without fools like me

Jerry Lee Lewis
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 04:34 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Bob, we truly appreciate your additional information on Wilmoth Houdini. It definitely adds to the special segments of our programming.

Our edgar has also delighted us with a trilogy of music by Jerry Lee, Bob, and Jim. Thanks, Texas.

Thinking about Peru today, folks, and this is a reminder of that far away place. We all pray for the people who have suffered such terrible losses as a result of the earthquake

Machu Picchu

Español:

Del lado de la montaña
como escalera de dios,
memorias de un tiempo pasado
de gloria y orgullo Inca.

En medio de las montañas,
Machu Picchu, ciudad de piedra,
canta una cancion

Estoy deseando volver
a un lugar donde no estuve.
Para tener memorias

English:

Lying on the mountainside
like stairways of the gods,
memories of a distant past
of glory and Inca pride.

Among the mountain peaks,
Machu Picchu, a city of stone,
sings a song
of glory and Inca pride.

I want to return to
a place I've never been.
I want to have memories
of glory and Inca pride.

© Jim T. Henriksen
September 16th, 2005
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 07:28 am
just now listening to Carmen McRae and slid into Cannonball Adderley. A nice seque.
0 Replies