WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:47 am
Well, folks, there's our Raggedy with her famous faces. Now we have to wait for the hawkman to put his infos to what our puppy knows.

Great trio today, PA, and I love Dan as well. Wonderful song, gal, and speaking of "run for the roses", a parallel lies in Tiger Woods' feat. Once again he's on a winning streak.

A morning song by Dan

Morning Sky

You and I were lovers all along
We had a good thing going strong
And never doubted.
Lately, I feel changes comin' on
I know that I will soon be gone
And you don't even want
To talk about it.

OOO, and it makes me stop and
wonder why
People give their hearts and turn
around and say goodbye
If there's something on your mind
You better say it while there's time
'Cause I'm leavin' when I see that
Morning sky.

OOO, how did we ever come to this?
There's nothing for me in your kisses
anymore.
Late nights in the kitchen
I'm pretending I still care
But we both know there's nothing there
And you just keep on starin'
At the door.

wonder why
around and say goodbye
Morning sky.

You and I were lovers all along
We had a good thing going strong
And never doubted.
Lately, I feel changes comin' on
I know that I will soon be gone
And you don't even want
To talk about it.

wonder why
around and say goodbye
Morning sky.
See that morning sky.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:05 am
Bert Lahr
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Irving Lahrheim
Born August 13, 1895
New York City, U.S.
Died December 4, 1967), aged 72
New York City, New York
Years active 1929 - 1968
Spouse(s) Mildred Schroeder (11 February 1940 - 4 December 1967) (his death)
Mercedes Delpino (29 August 1929 - 1940) (annulled)

Bert Lahr, born Irving Lahrheim, (August 13, 1895 - December 4, 1967) was a Tony Award-winning American comic actor. Born in New York City, he is best remembered today for his role as the Cowardly Lion (and the farmworker "Zeke") in the classic 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz, but known during his life for a career in burlesque, vaudeville and Broadway.

Early life

Dropping out of school at the age of fifteen to join a juvenile vaudeville act, Lahr worked his way up to top billing on the Columbia Burlesque Circuit. In 1927 he debuted in on Broadway in Harry Delmar's Revels. Lahr played to packed houses, performing classic routines such as "The Song of the Woodman" (which he later reprised in the film Merry-Go-Round of 1938). Lahr had his first major success in a stage musical playing the prize fighter hero of Hold Everything (1928-29). Several other musicals followed, notably "Flying High" (1930), Florenz Ziegfeld's Hot-Cha! (1932) and The Show Is On (1936) in which he co-starred with Beatrice Lillie. In 1939, he co-starred with Ethel Merman in DuBarry Was a Lady.

Career

Lahr made his feature film debut in 1931's Flying High, playing the part of the oddball aviator that he had previously played on stage. He signed with New York-based Educational Pictures for a series of two-reel comedies. When that series ended, he came back to Hollywood to work in feature films. Aside from The Wizard of Oz (1939), his movie career was limited.

His later life was troubled, although he made the transition to straight theatre. He costarred in a much-praised version of Waiting for Godot in 1956 at the Coconut Grove Playhouse in Miami, Florida in which he played Estragon to Tom Ewell's Vladimir. Lahr thought of himself as the "top banana" in the production, telling Ewell "not to crowd him." When Beckett learned of this, he complained that the play was being taken away from his "major character," Vladimir. Lahr later played Estragon in the play's short-lived Broadway run.

Among other Broadway roles, Lahr played Queen Victoria in a sketch from the musical Two on the Aisle. He also performed as Moonface Martin in a television version of "Anything Goes" with Ethel Merman reprising her role as Reno Sweeney and Frank Sinatra as Billy Crocker. In the late 1950s, Lahr supplied the voice of an animated bloodhound in "Old Whiff," a short cartoon produced by Mike Todd which featured the olfactory Smell-O-Vision process developed for Todd's feature film Scent of Mystery (1960). In 1964 he won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical for his role in the musical Foxy.

Later life and career

Lahr occasionally appeared on television, including NBC's live version of the Cole Porter musical "Let's Face It" (1954) and an appearance as the mystery guest on "What's My Line?" He also performed in commercials, including a memorable series for Lay's potato chips during its long-running "Betcha can't eat just one" campaign (Lahr appeared as "Aunt Tillie").

In 1967, Lahr died of pneumonia in New York City in the middle of filming The Night They Raided Minsky's, forcing producers to use a double in several scenes. Fittingly, this last role was as a burlesque comic. Lahr is buried in Union Field Cemetery, Ridgewood, Queens.

His son, New Yorker theater critic John Lahr, wrote a biography of his father's life titled Notes on a Cowardly Lion.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:16 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:21 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:23 am
Neville Brand

Born August 13, 1920(1920-08-13)
Template:FlagiconIowa Griswold, Iowa, United States
Died April 16, 1992 (aged 71)
Sacramento, California, United States
Spouse(s) Jean Brand

Neville Brand (August 13, 1920 - April 16, 1992), was an American television and movie actor.

Gravel-voiced Neville Brand was born in Griswold, Iowa. He started his big screen career in D.O.A. (1950) as a henchman named Chester. He became well known as a villain when he killed the character played by Elvis Presley in Love Me Tender. He played the villain in so many movies, his self-image became affected, culminating in a television interview on Entertainment Tonight with the actor moving about in agitation repeating, "I'm a loser. I'm a loser."

However, he played a very romantic lead in the movie Return From the Sea with Jan Sterling and a heartwarming character who was brain damaged and misunderstood in an episode of the TV show Daniel Boone. He played Hoss Cartwright's (Dan Blocker) Uncle Guntur on Bonanza.

Of the hundreds of roles he has played, he is probably most well known as Al Capone in the TV show The Untouchables. The characterization caused an outcry from the Italian American community over stereotypes.

Many will remember him as Bull Ransom, the prison guard of Birdman of Alcatraz, and as the antagonistic and untrusting, yet dedicated POW, "Duke", in Stalag 17.

Known also for his cowboy roles, he starred in his own TV series, Laredo, with William Smith, Peter Brown, and Philip Carey.

One of the most heart-rending scenes on TV showed Brand's character, Reese Bennet, waiting in torment when he realizes he has been stood up by the love of his life.

In one episode, the gruff and dusty Reese has an immaculate and proper lookalike that confounds the other Texas Rangers.

Brand was a real life hero. He served in the US Army during World War II. It should be pointed out that, according to the IMDb, the claim that he was the fourth most decorated soldier (Actor Audie Murphy being the first) is often repeated but is incorrect, though that same article does list a lot of decorations that he did receive.

In a November 1979 interview with author William R. Horner for his book "Bad at the Bijou", Brand related that he was a highly decorated soldier in WWII , winning a Silver Star, but that he wasn't the fourth most decorated. He attributed it to someone in Hollywood, and said that when he would deny it people thought he was just being modest. Brand was also an insatiable reader, who amassed a collection of 30,000 books over the years, many of which were destroyed in a 1978 fire at his Malibu home.

Brand co-starred with George Takei in "Encounter", an episode of the original Twilight Zone series. Ironically, Brand (a genuine war hero in real life) portrays a phony war hero: a coward whose prize trophy (a Japanese soldier's sword) was obtained through theft. After its initial airing, "Encounter" triggered complaints from Japanese-Americans due to the backstory of the character played by Takei: he portrays a Nisei (the U.S.-born son of Japanese immigrants) whose father spied for the Japanese navy during the Pearl Harbor attack. There is no evidence of any Japanese-American disloyalty to the U.S.A. during that war. Although "Encounter" is a taut drama with excellent performances by Brand and Takei, this historical inaccuracy (and the complaints it engendered) has caused this episode to be omitted from syndicated broadcasts of The Twilight Zone.

Neville Brand died from emphysema in 1992.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:26 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:29 am
Dan Fogelberg

Background information

Birth name Daniel Grayling Fogelberg
Born August 13, 1951 (1951-08-13) (age 56)
Peoria, Illinois, USA
Genre(s) Rock
Folk Rock
Occupation(s) Singer-songwriter
Musician
Instrument(s) Voice
Guitar
Piano
Years active 1971-present
Label(s) Columbia Records, Epic Records, Giant Records, Mailboat Records
Associated
acts Fools Gold, Tim Weisberg
Website http://www.danfogelberg.com/

Daniel Grayling "Dan" Fogelberg (born August 13, 1951) is an American singer songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, whose music has been inspired by sources as diverse as folk, pop, classical, jazz, and bluegrass music.

Early Life and Family

Fogelberg, the youngest of Lawrence and Margaret (Young) Fogelberg's three sons, was born in Peoria, Illinois. His father was a high school band director who spent most of his career at Peoria Woodruff High School and Pekin High School, and his mother was a pianist. His father would later be the inspiration for the song "Leader of the Band". Using a Mel Bay course book, he taught himself to play a Hawaiian slide guitar his grandfather gave to him; he also learned to play the piano. He started his music career at age 14 when he joined his first band, The Clan, which paid homage to The Beatles. His second band was another cover combo, The Coachmen, which, in 1967, released two singles on Ledger Records: "Maybe Time Will Let Me Forget" and "Don't Want To Lose Her."

Early Musical Career

After graduating from Woodruff High School in 1969, he studied theater arts and painting at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and began performing as a solo acoustic player in area coffeehouses. There, he was discovered in 1971 by Irving Azoff. Fogelberg and Azoff, who started his music-management career promoting another Illinois act, REO Speedwagon, moved to California to seek their fortunes. Fogelberg became a session musician who played with pop-folk artists like Van Morrison. In 1972, he released his debut album Home Free to lukewarm response. His second effort was much more successful: the 1974 Joe Walsh-produced album Souvenirs and its hit song "Part of the Plan" made him a major star.

Musical Career

Following Souvenirs, Fogelberg released a string of gold and platinum albums and found commercial success with songs like "The Power of Gold," "The Language of Love," "Lonely in Love," and "Longer," which became a wedding standard. His 1978 Twin Sons of Different Mothers was the first of two collaborations with jazz flutist Tim Weisberg. The Innocent Age, released in October 1981, reached the peak of critical and popular acclaim. The double album "song cycle" included four of his biggest hits: "Leader of the Band," "Run for the Roses," which aired during the 1980 Kentucky Derby, "Hard To Say," and "Same Old Lang Syne," based on a real-life accidental meeting with a former girlfriend.

In 1985, Fogelberg released High Country Snows. Recorded in Nashville, it showcased his (and some of the industry's best) talent in the bluegrass genre. Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, David Grisman, Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen were among those who contributed to the record.

River of Souls, released in 1993, was Fogelberg's last studio album for Sony Records. In 1997, Portrait encompassed his career with four discs, each highlighting a different facet of his music: "Ballads", "Rock and Roll", "Tales and Travels" (which displayed his talents as a narrative songwriter) and "Hits". In 1999, he fulfilled a career-long dream of creating a Christmas album called "First Christmas Morning" and, in 2003, Full Circle showcased a return to the folk-influenced, 1970s soft rock-style of music for which he and other singer-songwriters from his era had gained popular recognition.

A very personal songwriter, Fogelberg has also used his music to address social issues, among them peace and Native American concerns. He has been particularly outspoken about his commitment to the environment and to finding alternatives to nuclear power. To that end, Fogelberg performed at a number of the Musicians United for Safe Energy "No Nukes" concerts in 1979 and 1980.

His live concerts won acclaim across the nation over the years. Fogelberg has said that one of his proudest moments came in 1979 when he played at New York's Carnegie Hall for an audience that included his mother and father. Most summers, Fogelberg would perform with a full band or in a solo acoustic setting; the differing formats allowed the artist to show the breadth and depth of his talent as a singer, guitarist, pianist and bandleader. In 2002, fans showed their appreciation by choosing Fogelberg to be one of the first 10 inductees into the Performers Hall of Fame at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver, Colorado.

Cancer

In May 2004, Dan Fogelberg was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. He underwent hormonal therapy and as a result achieved a partial remission, The cancer was not eliminated, but was reduced to a very small size and is no longer spreading. August 13, 2005, his 54th birthday, Fogelberg confirmed on his web site that through his first year of treatments they had succeeded in slowing the progression of his prostate cancer. In that same announcement, he thanked his many fans for their support, and noted that he had no immediate plans to return to making music, but was keeping his options open, and was enjoying spending time with his wife, musician Jean Fogelberg.

In June 2005, it was reported that Fogelberg, who, since 1982, lived on Mountain Bird Ranch, 610 acres near Pagosa Springs, Colorado, has put the lavishly appointed property up for sale at an asking price of US$17.5 million.

Popular culture

On the September 25, 2006, episode of the NBC show Late Night with Conan O'Brien, O'Brien concluded his discussion of the controversy over Pope Benedict's public use of a statement by a 14th century Byzantine emperor, and singer Cat Stevens' reaction to the remarks, with the punchline: "So far, no word yet from Dan Fogelberg. [light laughter, then a pause] He was a singer back in the 70s."[1]
In the Trey Parker/Matt Stone movie BASEketball, Fogelberg's name is mentioned in reference to popular youth culture by Ernest Borgnine, along with such outdated things as Zima and Pac-man video games.
Two of his songs have been used in feature films: "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler" (originally on Souvenirs) can be heard in the 1978 movie FM; and "Times Like These" was used in the 1980 movie Urban Cowboy, a year before it appeared on The Innocent Age.
In No Cure For Cancer, Denis Leary, in reference to heavy metal bands being sued over teenage suicides, asks "Does that mean I can sue Dan Fogelberg for making me into a pussy in the mid-'70s? Is that possible, huh? Huh?!"
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:35 am
Investment tips for 2007 For all of you with any money left, be aware of the next expected mergers so that you can get in on the ground floor and make some BIG bucks.

Watch for these consolidations in 2007.

1.) Hale Business Systems, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush, and W. R.Grace Co. Will merge and become:
Hale, Mary, Fuller, Grace.

2.) Polygram Records, Warner Bros., and Zesta Crackers join forces and become:
Poly, Warner Cracker.

3.) 3M will merge with Goodyear and and become:
MMMGood.

4. Zippo Manufacturing, Audi Motors, Dofasco, and Dakota Mining will merge and become:
ZipAudiDoDa.

5. FedEx is expected to join its competitor, UPS, and become:
FedUP.

6. Fairchild Electronics and Honeywell Computers will become:
Fairwell Honeychild.

7. Grey Poupon and Docker Pants are expected to become:
Poupon Pants.

8. Knotts Berry Farm and the National Organization of Women will become:
Knott NOW!

And finally ...

9. Victoria 's Secret and Smith & Wesson will merge under the new name:
Titty Titty Bang Bang
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Hee hee, hawkman, we do love your corporate puns, honey, and yes, the finale is funny. Thanks, Bio Bob for the great celeb info today. Until I can have a look see at Hitchcock's Rope, here's a continuing song from Oz. (No, not down under)

Bert Lahr

The Cowardly Lion

Yeh, it's sad, believe me, Missy, When you're born to be a sissy
Without the vim and verve.
But I could show my prowess, be a lion not a mou-ess
If I only had the nerve.
I'm afraid there's no denyin' I'm just a dandelion,
A fate I don't deserve.
I'd be brave as a blizzard....
Tin Man
I'd be gentle as a lizard....
Scarecrow
I'd be clever as a gizzard....
Dorothy
If the Wizard is a Wizard who will serve.
Scarecrow
Then I'm sure to get a brain,
Tin Man
a heart,
Dorothy
a home,
Lion
the nerve!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:39 pm
Well, folks, I have spent quite a bit of time searching for the movie based on the Loeb and Leopold case. The Rope by Hitchcock was not the one I saw. I read Compulsion some time ago, and it has always stuck with me, so while we are on the macabre here is some breaking news.

By Mark Potter
Correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 8:58 p.m. ET Aug 12, 2007

FT MYERS, FLORIDA - On the morning of March 23rd, around 10 o'clock, Detective Sgt. Jennifer Soto received a phone call that would lead her and other officers into a dark forest, and involve them in an unsettling mystery.

The caller said a human skull had just been found in a thick stand of melaleuca trees off Arcadia Road. At first, Soto and her partner were skeptical, because the area had long been used as a dumping ground by hunters disposing of hog and alligator remains.

Walking through the thick brush, however, it didn't take long for them to confirm the report was true. In fact, there was much more than just one human skull, there were eight. Talk about a cold case file.

The rest of the story here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20236967/

So, a song from Stevie Wonder would seem appropriate.

"Skeletons"

Skeletons in your closet
Itchin' to come outside
Messin' with your conscience
In a way your face can't hide

Oh things are gettin' real funky
Down at the old corral
And it's not the skunks that are stinkin'
It's the stinkin' lies you tell

[Bridge]
What did your mama tell you about lies
She said it wasn't polite to tell a white one
What did your daddy tell you about lies
He said one white lie turns into a black one

So, it's gettin' ready to blow
It's gettin' ready to show
Somebody shot off at the mouth and
We're getting ready to know

It's gettin' ready to drop
It's gettin' ready to shock
Somebody done turned up the heater
An' a it's gettin' ready to pop

Crevices in your pantry
Now what do we have in here
Havin' a day time nightmare
Has always been your biggest fear

Oh things are gettin' real crucial
Up the old wazoo
Yet you cry, why am I the victim?
When the culprit's y-o-u

[Bridge]
What did your mama tell you about lies
She said it wasn't polite to tell a white one
What did your daddy tell you about lies
He said one white lie turns into a black one

So, it's gettin' ready to blow
It's gettin' ready to show
Somebody shot off at the mouth and
We're gettin' ready to know

It's gettin' ready to drop
It's gettin' ready to shock
Somebody done turning the heater
An' a it's gettin' ready to pop

It's gettin' ready to seep
You're gettin' ready to freak
Somebody done picked up the talk box
And gettin' ready to speak

It's gettin' ready to jive
It's gettin' ready to gel
Somebody done gone let the lid off
And it's gettin' ready to smell

They're gettin' ready to deal
You're gettin' ready to ill
Somebody done just dropped the big dime
And they're gettin' ready to squeal

It's gettin' ready to turn
We're gettin' ready to learn
Somebody done fired up the brimstone
And you're gettin' ready to burn

It's gettin' ready to shake
You're gettin' ready to ache
Somebody done snitched to the news crew
And it's gettin' ready to break

You're gettin' ready to lie
They're gettin' ready to spy
Somebody' s been put on the hot seat
And you're gettin' ready to fry
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 09:06 pm
Animal Crackers In My Soup
Music T.Koehler & I.Caesar/R.Henderson

Once Mother said My litle pet
you ought to learn your alphabet
So in my soup I used to get
All the letters of the alphabet
I learned them all from A to Z
And now my Mothers giving me

------
Animal crackers in my soup
Monkeys and rabbits loop the loop
Gosh oh gee but I have fun
Swallowing animals one by one

In every bowl of soup I see
Lions and Tigers watching me
I make 'em jump right through a hoop
Those animal crackers in my soup

When I get hold of the big bad wolf
I just push him under to drown
Then I bite him in a million bits
And I gobble him right down

When their inside me where its dark
I walk around like Noahs Arc
I stuff my tummy like a goop
With animal crackers in my soup

Animal crackers in my soup
Do funny things to me
They make me think my neighbourhood
Is a big menagerie

For instance there's our Janitor
His name is Mr Klein
And when he Hollers at us kids
He reminds me of a Lion

The Grocer is so big and fat
He has a big moustache
He looks just like a Walrus
Just before he takes a splash
Animal Crackers In My Soup
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:52 am
I've thrown away my toys
Even my drum and train.
I wanna make some noise
With real live aeroplanes.

Some day I'm going to fly.
I'll be a pilot too.
And when I do, how would you
Like to be my crew...

On the good ship lollipop.
Its a sweet trip to a candy shop
Where bon-bons play
On the sunny beach of Peppermint Bay.

Lemonade stands everywhere.
Crackerjack bands fill the air.
And there you are
Happy landing on a chocolate bar.

See the sugar bowl do the tootsie roll
With the big bad devils food cake.
If you eat too much ooh ooh
You'll awake with a tummy ache.

On the good ship lollipop
Its a night trip into bed you hop
And dream away
On the good ship lollipop.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 03:17 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

Hey, edgar and M.D., What's with all this Shirley Temple tribute songs?

Here's how Dali saw her.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/10/images/xlarge/FLO_1_ta10dali3_197837_1010.jpg

Well, there is some question about Bill Robinson being Mr. Bojangles, but let's listen to Bob Dylan do the song anyway.

Mr. Bojangles Lyrics (Bob Dylan)

Bob Dylan - Mr. Bojangles Lyrics

I knew a man Bojangles and he'd dance for you in worn out shoes
Silver hair, ragged shirt and baggy pants, that old soft shoe
He'd jump so high, he'd jump so high, will he likely touch down ?
Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles, dance.

I met him in a cell in New Orleans, I was down and out
He looked to me to be the eye of age as he spoke right out
He talked of life, he talked of life, laughing slapped his leg stale

He said the name Bojangles and he danced a lick all across the cell
He grabbed his pants for a better stance, oh he jumped so high and he clicked
up his heels
He let go laugh, he let go laugh, shook back his clothes all around
Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles, dance, yeah, dance.

He danced for those at minstrel shows and county fairs throughtout the south
He spoke with tears of 15 years of how his dog and him but just travelled all about
Hid dog up and died, he up and died, and after 20 years he still grieves

He said I dance now at every chance at honky-tonks for drinks and tips
But most of the time I spend behind these county bars,Ocause I drink so bitO
He shook his head, yes he shook his head, I heard someone ask him, OpleaseO,
Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles, dance, dance, Mr Bojangles, dance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:32 am
Dali may have been an accomplished artist, but to me his vision was always skewed in ways that kept me from appreciating him.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:35 am
Good morning captain good morning son
Do you need another mule skinner
Out on your new road line

Well I like to work I'm rolling all the time
Lord I like to work boy I'm rolling all the time
I can pop my initials Right on a mule's behind

Well it's hey little water boy bring your water 'round
Lord it's hey little water boy bring your water 'round
And if you don't like your job just set that water bucket down

I work out on the new road from a dollar and a dime a day
Lord I work out on the new road I make a dollar and a dime a day
I've got three women on Saturday night Waiting to draw my pay

Well I'm going to town honey what can I bring you back
Well I'm going to town baby what can I bring you back
Just bring a pint of good rye And a John B.Stetson hat

Lord it's raining here and it's storming on the deep blue sea
Lord it's raining here and it's storming on the deep blue sea
Can't no blonde headed woman make a monkey out for me

If your house catches fire and there ain't no water 'round
If your house catches fire and there ain't no water 'round
Just throw your good gal out the window let your house just burn on down

Well I'm leaving here and I ain't gonna take no clothes
I'm leaving here and I ain't gonna take no clothes
There may be good times in this old town but it's better on down the road
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:51 am
Red Cross Store Blues

I told her no!
Baby you know I don't wanna go
Justine I ain't goin'
Down to no Red Cross store

She come down Justine, tell me I wanna talk with you in just a little while
Ain't you goin' down and fight for your wife and child?
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

She come down here and she shook my hand
She said, "Daddy I want you to go down there and fight for me like a man"
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

She said the Red Cross people they treat you mighty fine
They mixing everything up with whiskey and wine
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

She come down here talkin' to me about the war
I told her baby I ain't done nothing to go there for
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

She come down here and she fell down on her knees
I said baby I have to look somewhere for your butter and cheese
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

She said Daddy I just come down here to tell you so
You better go running down to that Red Cross store
I told her no!
Justine I ain't goin'

Leadbelly
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:51 am
Well, edgar, don't much like Dali either. There are two or three atypical pieces that speak to me, but that one of Shirley ain't one of the three.

Thanks for the leadbelly song, Texas. Wonder what the Red Cross Store was like in his day?

Well, well, folks. There's the dys back singing the mule skinner blues. Like that version, cowboy. Sooooo, it seems to be folk ballad day.

How about this one, then.

Down In The Valley

(original jail version)

Traditional American

G D7

Down in the valley, valley so low.

D7 G

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

G D7

Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow.

D7 G

Give my heart ease, love, give my heart ease.

Think of me, darling, give my heart ease.

Write me a letter, send it by mail.

Send it in care of the Birmingham Jail.

Writing me a letter, containing three lines,

Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"

"Will you be mine, dear, will you be mine?"

Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew.

Angels in Heaven know I love you.

Know I love you, dear, know I love you.

Angels in Heaven, know I love you.

This gloomy prison is far from you, dear.

But not forever, only a year.

I make this promise: to go straight and true.

I'll spend my lifetime just loving you.

If you don't love me, love whom you please

Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease

Give my heart ease, dear, give my heart ease

Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease

Throw your arms round me, before it's too late

Throw your arms round me, feel my heart break

Feel my heart break, dear, feel my heart break

Throw your arms round me, feel my heart break

Down in the valley, valley so low.

0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:37 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:49 am
Sarah Brightman

Background information

Born August 14, 1960 (1960-08-14) (age 47)
Origin Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England
Genre(s) Classical crossover, operatic pop
Occupation(s) Singer, actress
Years active 1976-present
Label(s) A&M Records (1993)
East West Records (1995-1997)
Angel Records/EMI (1998-present)
Website http://www.sarah-brightman.com

Sarah Brightman (born August 14, 1960) is an English classical crossover soprano, actress and dancer.

Brightman debuted as a dancer in troupes such as Hot Gossip and later released a string of disco singles. She achieved greater fame as a musical theatre performer and partner of theatre composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, originating several roles, including Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera. Her 1984 marriage to Lloyd Webber attracted active tabloid coverage. The couple divorced in 1990, effectively ending her musical theatre career.

After her divorce, Brightman established a position as a crossover artist with former Enigma producer Frank Peterson. Her style, a blend of classical vocals and pop-inspired instrumentation and arrangement, earned her further success. To date, Brightman has received over 150 Gold and Platinum awards in 34 countries[1] and is the only artist to hold #1 spots on the Billboard Classical and Dance charts simultaneously.

Biography

Sarah Brightman was born in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England to Paula and Grenville Brightman. She was the eldest of six children. Her ambition to be an artist was apparent from an early age; she took ballet lessons starting from age three. At age eleven she attended a boarding school for theatre, where she remained despite her displeasure with the institution. Brightman auditioned for London's Royal Ballet some time later, but was rejected.[2]

At age sixteen, in 1976, Brightman joined the dance group Pan's People. After some time, she moved on and led Hot Gossip, a mixed dance act who appeared regularly on The Kenny Everett Video Show. The group, which was noticeably more provocative than Pan's People, had a chart-topping disco hit in 1978 with "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper", a space-themed track which sold half a million copies and reached number six on the UK charts. The group released a follow-up single, "Adventures of the Love Crusader", six months later, but it was less successful, failing to chart on the UK's top 50.[3] Brightman, now solo, released several more disco singles in subsequent years under Whisper Records; these included "Not Having That" and a cover of the song "My Boyfriend's Back".[4] However, none of these became as prominent as "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper".

[edit] 1981-1989: Stage career

In 1981, Brightman auditioned for a role in the new musical Cats and received the role of Jemima. It was there that she met her future husband, composer Andrew Lloyd Webber; the two married in 1984. Brightman starred in several of his musicals, including Song and Dance and the mass Requiem, the latter expressly written for her voice. With Requiem she earned her first Grammy nomination.[1]

Brightman achieved greater success with her starring role as Christine Daaé in Lloyd Webber's adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera. The role of Christine, like Requiem before it, was specifically written for her.[1] Lloyd Webber refused to open The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway unless Brightman originated the role of Christine. Initially, the American Actors' Equity Association balked, due to their policy of hiring only Americans. Lloyd Webber had to agree to cast an American in a leading role in his next West End musical before the Equity would allow Brightman to appear (a promise he kept later in the casting for Aspects of Love).[5]

After leaving Phantom, Brightman pursued several projects. Immediately after her departure, she performed in a tour of Lloyd Webber's music throughout England, Canada, and the United States, and performed Requiem in the Soviet Union. She also released some studio recordings. These releases included the single "Anything But Lonely" from Aspects of Love and two solo albums: the 1988 album The Trees They Grow So High, a compilation of traditional folk songs accompanied by piano, and the 1989 album The Songs That Got Away, a musical theatre compilation of songs which were cut from shows by composers such as Irving Berlin and Stephen Sondheim. By 1990, Brightman and Lloyd Webber separated. After the official divorce, Brightman was given a lead role in Lloyd Webber's Aspects in London opposite Michael Praed, before transferring to Broadway. It would be her last theatre role.[4]

1990's: Solo career

Her stage career curtailed, Brightman pursued solo recording in Los Angeles. She was inspired by the German band Enigma and requested to work with one of its members. Her request was answered and in 1991 she traveled to Germany to meet her future producer, Frank Peterson. Their first collaboration on a major label release (with A&M Records) was Dive (1993), a loosely water-themed pop album that featured the hit "Captain Nemo" (a cover of a song by the Swedish electronica band Dive).[6]

Fly (1995), a pop/rock album and her second collaboration with Peterson, propelled Sarah Brightman to fame in Europe with the hit "A Question of Honour". The song, introduced at the World Boxing Championship match between Germany's Henry Maske and Graciano Rocchigiani, featured a mix of electronic dance music, rock elements, classical strings, and excerpts from the aria "Ebben? ... Ne andrò lontana" from Alfredo Catalani's opera La Wally.[7]

"Time to Say Goodbye" ("Con te partirò") was the second Brightman song debuted for Maske, this time at his retirement match. This duet with tenor Andrea Bocelli sold more than 3 million copies in Germany alone,[1] became Germany's highest-selling single, and was a bestseller in numerous other countries. The album eventually sold over 5 million copies worldwide. Due to the song's success, a 1996 re-issue of Fly featured "Time to Say Goodbye" as the first track.

Timeless (released in 1997, with the title Time to Say Goodbye in the United States) contained "Time to Say Goodbye" and other classical-inspired tracks such as "Just Show Me How to Love You", a duet with José Cura (originally sung by Dario Baldambembo with the title "Tu Cosa Fai Stasera?"), a cover of the Queen hit "Who Wants to Live Forever", and "Tu Quieres Volver", (originally recorded by the Gipsy Kings).

The album was a smash-hit worldwide and is possibly Brightman's most successful solo release. Her mainstream exposure in the United States also began around this time, starting with an appearance on Bocelli's December 1997 PBS television special, duetting "Time to Say Goodbye"; later, in March 1998, her own PBS special, Sarah Brightman in Concert at the Royal Albert Hall, marked the key point when she crossed from Billboard's Top Heatseekers chart to the Billboard 200 chart, with Time to Say Goodbye.[8] Despite this, however, attempts to market songs from the album to U.S. Top 40 and heritage radio formats were mostly unsuccessful. [8]

2000 to present

Subsequent albums included Eden (1998) (the title track of which was a cover of a song by Belgian band Hooverphonic), and La Luna (2000). Both of these albums took the crossover beginnings she had originally introduced on Time to Say Goodbye and made them her own. Reviews, however, were mixed - LAUNCHcast deemed Eden "deliriously sappy",[9] while All Music Guide called Eden "a winning combination"[10] and La Luna "a solid, stirring collection".[11]

Chart performance for both albums was more uniformly positive. Eden reached #65 on the Billboard 200 charts (certified Gold for selling over 500,000 copies), and La Luna peaked at #17. In addition, both albums reached #1 on Billboard's Classical Crossover charts. At the end of 2001, Billboard magazine noted Brightman as one of four classical crossover artists from the UK (the others being Charlotte Church, Russell Watson, and bond) with albums on both the Classical Crossover and Billboard 200 charts, a phenomenon which, it said, contributed to a resurgence of UK music in the U.S. after "a historic low" in 1999.[12]

In 2001, Brightman released Classics, an album comprised of operatic arias and other classical pieces, including a solo version of "Time to Say Goodbye". Many of the songs on this album originally appeared on her previous albums. Reviews were somewhat better: Entertainment Weekly, although calling Brightman a "stronger song stylist than a singer", gave the album a grade of B-.[13]

Her 2003 album Harem represented another departure: a Middle Eastern-themed album influenced by dance music. On Harem, Brightman collaborated with artists such as Ofra Haza and Iraqi singer Kazem al-Saher. Nigel Kennedy contributed violin tracks to the songs "Free" and "The War Is Over", and Jaz Coleman contributed arrangements.[1]

The album peaked at #29 on the Billboard 200 charts (with sales tracked by Nielsen SoundScan figuring at approximately 333,000, or about one-third the total sales of La Luna),[14] #1 on the Billboard Classical Crossover chart, and yielded a #1 dance/club single with the remix of the title track. Some time later, another single from the album (the ballad "Free", cowritten with Sophie B. Hawkins) became a second Top-10 hit on this chart. Nevertheless, radio airplay for the album's singles, at least in the U.S., was almost nonexistent.[14]

The albums Eden, La Luna, and Harem were accompanied by live tours which incorporated the theatricality of her stage origins. Brightman acknowledged this in an interview, saying, "They're incredibly complicated...[but also] natural. I know what works, what doesn't work, all the old tricks."[15] In both 2000 and 2001, Brightman was among the top 10 most popular British performers in the U.S., with concert sales grossing $7.2 million from 34 shows in 2000 and over $5 million from 21 shows in 2001.[12]

Most recently, the Harem tour grossed over $60 million and sold over 700,000 tickets,[1] $15 million and 225,000 sales of which came from the North American leg; though with ticket prices raised 30% from previous tours, average sales per venue were up 65%.[14] In North America, Harem tour promoters Clear Channel Entertainment (now Live Nation) took the unusual step of advertising to theatre subscribers, in an effort to reach fans of Brightman's Broadway performances, and also sold VIP tickets (at $750 each) that included on-stage seating during the concert and a backstage pass.[14]

Tour reviews have been mixed: one critic from the New York Times called the La Luna tour "not so much divine but post-human" and "unintentionally disturbing: a beautiful argument of emptiness."[16] In contrast, a reviewer from the Boston Globe deemed the Harem tour "unique, compelling" and "charmingly effective."[17]

Television specials on PBS were produced for every Brightman album in the U.S.; a director of marketing has credited these as her number-one source of exposure in the country.[12]

Brightman released a DVD collection of her music videos on October 3, 2006 under the title of Diva: The Video Collection. Diva: The Singles Collection is the accompanying CD, released on the same date. The album marked the first time Brightman has released a greatest hits album in the United States; it reached #1 on the Billboard Classical Crossover chart. (Classics, from 2001, featured seven new recordings in addition to the previously-released material, and her other reflective offering, The Best of 1990-2000, was a European-only release.)

Brightman was one of the artists featured on the January 2007 series of the prime time BBC One Show Just the Two of Us, partnered with English cricketer Mark Butcher.[18] The pair finished the competition in third place.

Brightman performed at the Concert For Diana in July 2007, singing "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom of the Opera in a duet with Josh Groban.

She is currently working on a new album, working title "Symphony", that she describes as having a gothic metal feel to it.[19] The current release date is set at January 29th, 2008 but is still subject to change.[20] In 2007, Brightman was announced as singing the theme song to the 10th Pokémon motion picture, Dialga VS Palkia VS Darkrai. A preview of the film and the song, Be With You: Itsumo Soba ni (Always by Your Side), can be found on her page on the Toshiba EMI website.[21]

On 7 July 2007 she performed "Time to say Goodbye" and "Nessun Dorma" at the Chinese leg of Live Earth in Shanghai to standing ovations in the pouring rain.[22]

Music and voice

Brightman has undergone vocal training first with Elizabeth Hawes, head of the Trinity Music College in London, and later with Ellen Faul of Juilliard. She has a three-octave vocal range[23] that extends to an E above Soprano C.[4]

David Caddick, a conductor of Phantom, has stated:

"What is amazing about Sarah is that she has two voices, really. She can produce a pop, contemporary sound, but she can also blossom out into a light soprano. The soprano part of her voice can go up to an E natural above high C. She doesn't sing it full out, but it is there. Of course, she has to dance while she is singing some of the time, so it's all the more extraordinary."[4]

She sometimes deploys both her pop and classical voices in the same song. "Anytime, Anywhere" from Eden is among one of the songs, which is based on Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio in G minor. In that song, she starts out in classical voice, switches to pop voice temporarily, and finishes with her classical voice.[24]

Brightman's music is generally classified as classical crossover. Brightman, in a 2000 interview with People, dismissed the label as "horrible" but stated she understood the need for categorization.[25] Her music influences include 60s and 70s musicians and artists such as David Bowie and Pink Floyd.[1] Her music alternates in style from pop/rock to classical and contemporary. The material on her albums ranges from versions of opera arias from composers such as Puccini (on Harem, Eden, and Timeless), to pop songs by artists such as Kansas ("Dust in the Wind" on Eden), Dido ("Here with Me" on La Luna), and Procol Harum ("A Whiter Shade of Pale" on La Luna).

Personal life

At age 18, Brightman married Andrew Graham Stewart, a music manager. This marriage ended in divorce. She met Lloyd Webber while performing in Cats. Lloyd Webber divorced his first wife, Sarah Hugill, to marry Brightman in 1984. During their partnership, the couple faced intense media and tabloid scrutiny. The marriage lasted until 1990, when they divorced. Brightman acknowledged the marriage in a 1999 interview as a "difficult time" but also one of much creative output.[26] Currently they are on friendly terms; at the 20th London anniversary of The Phantom of the Opera, Lloyd Webber publicly pronounced Brightman a "wonderful woman" and "absolutely beloved mentor". In 1990, Brightman became involved with Peterson; this relationship lasted for eleven years.

Brightman has suffered several personal crises, including the suicide of her father in 1992, and two miscarriages. In an interview with the British magazine Hello!, she stated that motherhood would have been "lovely", but she accepted her destiny peaceably.[27
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:53 am
Halle Berry

Birth name Halle Maria Berry
Born August 14, 1966 (1966-08-14) (age 41)
Bedford, Ohio, U.S.
Spouse(s) David Justice (1992-1996)
Eric Benét (2001-2005)
Official site www.hallewood.com
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actress
2001 Monster's Ball
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Lead Actress - Miniseries/Movie
2000 Introducing Dorothy Dandridge
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actress - Mini-series
2000 Introducing Dorothy Dandridge
Golden Raspberry Awards
Worst Actress
2004 Catwoman

Halle Maria Berry (IPA: [ˈhæliː ˈbeɹiː]) (born August 14, 1966[1]) is an Academy Award-winning American actress. Berry has received Emmy and Golden Globe awards, and received an Academy Award for Best Actress in 2002 for her performance in Monster's Ball. She is the only woman of African American descent to have won the award for Best Actress.

Biography

Early life and career

Berry's parents selected her first name from Halle's Department Store, which was then a local landmark in her birthplace of Cleveland, Ohio. She is the daughter of Englishwoman Judith Ann Hawkins, a Liverpudlian,[2] and Jerome Jesse Berry, who was African American. Berry's maternal grandmother, Nellie Dicken, was born in Sawley, Derbyshire, England, while her maternal grandfather, Earl Ellsworth Hawkins (an American), was born in Ohio.[3] Berry's parents divorced when she was 4 years old and she was subsequently raised by her mother, a psychiatric nurse. Her father was an orderly in the same psychiatric ward where her mother worked and later worked as a bus driver.[4] Berry has two older sisters, Heidi, who was born two years before her, and Renee (from a different mother).

Berry was a popular student at Bedford High School and was a cheerleader, honor society member, editor of the school newspaper, class president and prom queen. She worked in the children's department at Higbee's Department store. She subsequently attended Cuyahoga Community College.

Before becoming an actress, she entered several beauty contests, winning Miss Ohio USA and Miss Teen All-American. Other entries include Miss USA (first runner-up in 1986 to Christy Fichtner of Texas, the second of the Texas Aces), and sixth place in Miss World 1986 (the winner being Trinidad and Tobago's Giselle Laronde). In the Miss USA 1986 pageant interview competition, she said she hoped to become an entertainer, or to have something to do with the media or newspaper. Her interview was awarded the highest score by the judges.[5]

In 1989, during the taping of the short-lived television series Living Dolls, Berry lapsed into a coma and was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus type 1.[6]

Hollywood career

In the late 1980s, she went to Chicago to pursue a modeling career as well as acting. One of her first acting projects was a television series for local cable by Gordon Lake Productions called Chicago Force. In 1992, Berry was cast as the love interest in the video for R. Kelly's seminal hit, "Honey Love". Berry auditioned for a role in an updated Charlie's Angels television series by producer Aaron Spelling. She impressed Spelling and he encouraged her to continue acting.

In 1989, Berry landed the role of Emily Franklin in the short-lived ABC television series Living Dolls (a spin-off of Who's the Boss?). Her breakthrough feature film role was in Spike Lee's Jungle Fever in which she played a drug addict named Vivian. Her first co-starring role was in the 1991 film Strictly Business. In 1992, Berry portrayed a career woman who falls for Eddie Murphy in the romantic comedy Boomerang. That same year, she caught the public's attention as a headstrong biracial slave in the TV adaption of Queen: The Story of an American Family, based on the book by Alex Haley. Berry also played the sultry secretary in the live action Flintstones movie as "Sharon Stone".[7]

Playing a former drug addict struggling to regain custody of her son in Losing Isaiah (1995), Berry showed she could tackle more serious roles, holding her own opposite co-star Jessica Lange. She portrayed Sandra Beecher in Race the Sun (1996), which was based on a true story, and co-starred along side Kurt Russell in Executive Decision. In Bulworth, Berry received praise for her role as an intelligent woman raised by activists who gives politician Warren Beatty a new lease on life, and as the singer Zola Taylor, one of the three wives of pop singer Frankie Lymon, in the biopic Why Do Fools Fall in Love both in 1998.

In the 1999 film Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, Berry portrayed the first black woman to be nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award. In this HBO biopic, Berry's performance was recognized with several awards including an Emmy and a Golden Globe. (She was also one of the producers of the project.)

Berry portrayed the mutant Storm in the movie adaptation of the popular comic book series X-Men (2000) and its successful sequels X2: X-Men United (2003) and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). In late 2001, Berry appeared as Leticia Musgrove, the wife of an executed murderer, in the film Monster's Ball. Her performance was awarded the National Board of Review and the Screen Actors Guild prizes. The role earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress: she made history by becoming the first African American woman to earn a Best Actress Academy Award.

As Bond Girl Jinx in the (2002) blockbuster Die Another Day she famously re-created the scene from Dr. No, bursting from the surf to be greeted by James Bond, as Ursula Andress had 40 years earlier. In late 2003, Berry starred in the psychological thriller Gothika opposite Robert Downey Jr. Her next lead role was in the film Catwoman, for which she was awarded a "worst actress" Razzie award in 2005, which she accepted in person with a sense of humor and recognition that "to be at the top, you must experience the rock bottom".

Berry next appeared in the Oprah Winfrey-produced ABC telepic Their Eyes Were Watching God (2005), an adaptation of Zora Neale Hurston's novel, in which Berry portrayed Janie Crawford, an iconoclastic, free-spirited woman whose unconventional mores regarding relationships upset her 1920s contemporaries in her small community. Meanwhile, she voiced the character of Cappy, one of the many mechanical beings in the animated feature, Robots (2005). She has filmed the thriller Perfect Stranger with Bruce Willis and wrapped shooting Things We Lost in the Fire with Benicio Del Toro. She is set to star in Class Act, based on the real life story of a teacher whose students helped her run for political office and "Tulia", which will reunite her with Monster's Ball costar Billy Bob Thornton.

Berry is making the transition to working on the production side of film and television. She is working with author Angela Nissel to executive produce a comedy series based on Nissel's two memoirs, The Broke Diaries and Mixed: My Life in Black and White.[8] Berry has served many years as the face of Revlon cosmetics, and was recently named the face of Versace. She is featured in Maxim magazine's Girls of Maxim gallery.[9]

Berry is one of the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood, commanding $14 million each for Gothika and Catwoman. In July 2007 she topped In Touch magazine's list of the world's most fabulous 40-something celebrities. [10]

Personal life

Berry has been married twice. Her first marriage in 1992 to pro baseball player David Justice ended in divorce in 1996. Justice played with the Atlanta Braves and experienced a measure of fame as the team rose to prominence in the early 1990s. The couple found it difficult to maintain their relationship while he was playing baseball and she was filming elsewhere. Berry has stated publicly that she was so despondent after her breakup with Justice that she considered taking her own life.[11]

Her second marriage in 2001 to musician Eric Benét resulted in a 2004 separation and 2005 divorce. In 2004, after the separation, Berry stated "I want love, and I will find it, hopefully".[12] While married to Benét, Berry made plans to adopt Eric's daughter, India. However, the process was never finalized.

As of November 2005, she was dating French-Canadian supermodel Gabriel Aubry, who is nine years her junior. The couple met at a Versace photoshoot. After six months with Aubry, she stated in an interview "I'm really happy in my personal life, which is a novelty to me. You know I'm not the girl that has the best relationships".[13]

Berry revealed on Extra that she plans to adopt children. "I will adopt if it doesn't happen for me naturally", she said. "I will definitely adopt. And I probably will adopt even if it does happen naturally". (Aubry, who lived in five foster families between the ages of 3 and 18, is presumably open to being an adoptive parent as well.)[12] Later, she stated "I never want to be married again. I guess you could say I have bad taste in men. But I no longer feel the need to be someone's wife. I don't feel like I need to be validated by being in a marriage".[14]

Racial self-identification

Berry has stated that the manner in which people have reacted to her is often the result of ignorance. Her own self-identification has been influenced by her mother. She is quoted as saying her mother taught her not to discriminate because we're all part of the same race; the human race.[15]

Controversy

In February 2000, Berry was involved in a car accident in which she struck a vehicle after running a red light, and left the scene before the police arrived. Berry, who had sustained a head injury, stated she had no recollection of the accident and pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge. She paid a fine, made restitution to the other driver, performed community service, and was placed on three years' supervised probation by the Los Angeles County Adult Probation Office.[16]
0 Replies