When you're young at heart
And your soul still burns
I've seen rainy days
Sunshine that never fades
All through the night
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:33 pm
hbg, I had no idea that Romberg wrote that song. So, we have a little smaltz. That's fine with all of us and Deep in the Heart of Texas seems to be where a lot of presidents reside these days, right?

Hey, dj. Yes, "someday" we'll get it right, and we love your Seven Languages, honey.

I, for one, especially like this verse from Time Ain't Nothing

"Time ain't nothing
When you're young at heart
And your soul still burns
I've seen rainy days
Sunshine that never fades
All through the night"

Let's end our evening with something funny, shall we?

Found out that the following was a parody of a Mozart's Don Juan song, and we'll dedicate this to edgar's Jean who is home and recovering, and to the dys who has a simple bruise on his smitten knee and to all who need a little cheering.

This song was also done in German and one of the characters was Uncle Walt.

Monty Python
Lumberjack song

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea.
Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.
I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars.
Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing,
And hangs around in bars.
I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear pappa.
Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?
Suspendies...and a bra?
...he's a lumberjack and he's okay,
...he's a lumberjack and he's OKAAAAAAAAAAYYY.
He sleeps all night and he works all day

Goodnight, my friends
From Letty with love
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:34 pm
Gun Sale At The Church
The Beat Farmers

Well let's pack up the kid's
And take a break, getaway
Leave the hustle and bustle
Of livin' from day to day

And i know that the crime in the city
Is getting worse
So we're going on down
To the gun sale at the church

Well my lady's all set
To have us a real good time
Baby johnny's got <unknown>
But he don't seem to mind

Well the family's all ready to pray
At the holy <unknown>
Let's set up in the middle
Of the gun sale at the church

Well we ask the lord
To forgive us for all our sins
Then we'll look at the latest
In gold plated firing pins

Now my two main men
Are Jesus and old John Birch
So we're going on down

<guitar solo>

Well we ask the lord
To forgive us for all our sins
Then we'll look at the latest
In gold plated firing pins

Well let's pack up the kid's
And take a break, getaway
Leave the hustle and bustle
Of livin' from day to day

And I know that the crime in the city
Is getting worse
So we're going on down

So we're going on down

So we're going on down

So we're going on down
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:53 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

First, I would like to say to our dj that you find the most unusual songs to play on our wee radio. I had to go to the archives to find out about The John Birch Society. Thanks for the nudge from the past, buddy.

How about this for a morning song, folks.

Duran Duran (the second British invasion?)

(Reach Up for The) Sunrise
(From the album "ASTRONAUT")

Now the time has come
The music's between us
Though the night seems young
Is at an end
Only change will bring
You out of the darkness
In this moment everything is born again

Reach up for the sunrise
Put your hands into the big sky
You can touch the sunrise
Feel the new day enter your life

Reach up for the sunrise

Now the fireball burns
We go round together
As the planet turns into the light
Something more than dreams to
Watch out for each other
Coz we know what it means to be alive

Reach up for the sunrise

Reach up for the sunrise

Feel the new day

Reach up for the sunrise

Reach up for the sunrise

Reach up for the sunrise
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:12 am
Myrna Loy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Myrna Adele Williams
Born August 2, 1905
Radersburg, Montana, USA
Died December 14, 1993 (aged 88)
New York City, USA
Spouse(s) Arthur Hornblow, Jr. (1936-1942)
John Hertz Jr. (1942-1944)
Gene Markey (1946-1950)
Howland H. Sergeant (1951-1960)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards

Academy Honorary Award
1991 Lifetime Achievement

Myrna Loy (August 2, 1905 - December 14, 1993) was an American motion picture actress. Perhaps her most famous role was as Nora Charles, wife of detective Nick Charles (William Powell), in The Thin Man series. In 1938, she was voted the "Queen of Hollywood," in a contest which also voted Clark Gable the "King," and was considered to epitomize glamor and sophistication.

Early life

She was born Myrna Adele Williams in Radersburg, Montana (near Helena), the daughter of Welsh rancher David Franklin Williams, and his wife, Della Mae. Loy's first name came from a train station whose name her father liked. Her father was also a banker and real estate developer, and the youngest man ever elected to the Montana state legislature. Her mother studied music at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago.

Myrna Williams made her stage debut at age 12 in Helena's Marlow Theater, in a dance she choreographed based on "The Blue Bird" from the Rose Dream Operetta. She moved to the Palms district of Los Angeles, California when she was 13, after her father's death. There, she attended the Westlake School for Girls. At 15, she began appearing in local stage productions. She went to Venice High School, in Venice, California.

In 1921, she posed for Harry Winebrenner's statue, titled "Spiritual", which remained in front of Venice High School throughout the 20th century and can be seen in the opening scenes of the film Grease (1978). The statue was vandalized in recent years, but a restoration is planned.

Career

Natacha Rambova, the second wife of Rudolph Valentino, arranged a screen test for her which she failed. She kept auditioning and, in 1925, appeared in the Rambova-penned movie What Price Beauty? opposite Rambova and Nita Naldi. Her silent film roles were mainly those of vampish exotic women. For a few years, she struggled to overcome this stereotype with many producers and directors believing that while she was perfect as femme fatales, she was capable of little more.

Her breakthrough occurred with the advent of talkies. In 1929, she improvised a "foreign" accent, sang and danced in Warner Brothers' first musical, The Desert Song (1929). Loy later commented on the film's success and noted, "it kind of solidified my exotic non-American image". [1] She was quickly cast in a number of early lavish Technicolor musicals including The Show of Shows (1929), The Bride of the Regiment (1930) and Under A Texas Moon (1930). Loy became associated with musicals and when they went out of favor with the public, late in 1930, her career went into a slump.

In 1934, she appeared in Manhattan Melodrama with Clark Gable and William Powell. When the gangster John Dillinger was shot to death after leaving a screening of the film, it received widespread publicity, and some newspapers reported that Loy had been Dillinger's favorite actress. Loy later expressed distaste for the manner in which the film studio had exploited Dillinger's death.

Rise to stardom

Loy rejected the lead female role in It Happened One Night (1934), and later commented - if she had accepted it, she would have unavailable to play the part that established her as a major actress, Nora Charles in The Thin Man (1934) [2] The director W. S. Van Dyke chose Loy for the part after he realized that she possessed a wit and sense of humour that had not been shown in her films until then. At a Hollywood party he pushed her into a swimming pool to test her reaction, and felt that her aplomb in handling the situation, was exactly what he envisioned for Nora. Louis B. Mayer at first refused to allow Loy to play the part, saying that she was a dramatic actress only, but Van Dyke insisted. Mayer relented, on the condition that filming be completed within three weeks, as Loy was committed to start filming Stamboul Quest (1934). The Thin Man became one of the year's biggest hits, and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. Loy received excellent reviews and was acclaimed for her comedic skills. She and her costar William Powell proved to be a popular screen couple and appeared in 14 films together, the most prolific pairing in Hollywood history. Loy later referred to The Thin Man as the film "that finally made me... after more than 80 films". [3]

Nora and Nick Charles

Her success in Manhattan Melodrama and The Thin Man marked a turning point in her career and she was cast in more important pictures, and was given the opportunity to develop her comedic skills in films such as Wife vs. Secretary (1936) with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow and Petticoat Fever (1936) with Robert Montgomery. She made four films in close succession with William Powell: Libeled Lady (1936), which also starred Spencer Tracy and Jean Harlow, The Great Ziegfeld (1936), in which she played Billie Burke opposite Powell's Florenz Ziegfeld, the second "Thin Man" film, After the Thin Man, and the romantic comedy Double Wedding (1937). She also made three more films with Clark Gable. Parnell was an historical drama and one of the most poorly received films of either Loy's or Gable's career, but their other pairings in Test Pilot and Too Hot to Handle (both 1938) were successes.

During this period, Loy was one of Hollywood's busiest and highest paid actresses, and in 1937 and 1938 she was listed in the annual "Quigley Poll of the Top Ten Money Making Stars", which was compiled from the votes of movie exhibitors throughout the U.S. for the stars that had generated the most revenue in their theaters over the previous year.[4]

By this time Loy was highly regarded for her performances in romantic comedies and she was anxious to demonstrate her dramatic ability, and was cast in the lead female role in The Rains Came (1939) opposite Tyrone Power. She filmed Third Finger, Left Hand (1940) with Melvyn Douglas and appeared in I Love You Again (1940), Love Crazy (1941) and Shadow of the Thin Man (1941), all with William Powell.

With the outbreak of World War II, she all but abandoned her acting career to focus on the war effort and worked closely with the Red Cross. She was so fiercely outspoken against Adolf Hitler that her name appeared on his blacklist. She helped run a Naval Auxiliary Canteen and toured frequently to raise funds.

She returned to films with The Best Years of Our Lives in 1946, playing the wife of returning serviceman Fredric March. In later years, Loy considered this film her proudest acting achievement. Throughout her career, she had championed the rights of black actors and characters to be depicted with dignity on film.

Loy was paired with Cary Grant in David O. Selznick's comedy film The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947). The film co-starred a teenage Shirley Temple. Following its success she appeared again with Grant in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948), and with Clifton Webb in Cheaper by the Dozen (1950).

Her film career continued sporadically afterwards. In 1960, she appeared in Midnight Lace and From the Terrace, but was not in another until 1969 in The April Fools. She also returned to the stage, making her Broadway debut in a short-lived 1973 revival of Clare Booth Luce's The Women.

Personal life

Loy was married four times:

1936-1942 Arthur Hornblow, Jr., producer
1942-1944 John Hertz Jr. of the Hertz Rent A Car family
1946-1950 Gene Markey, producer
1951-1960 Howland H. Sergeant, UNESCO delegate

Loy had no children of her own, though it is documented that she was very close to the children of her first husband, Arthur Hornblow. "Some perfect wife I am," she said, referring to her typecasting. "I've been married four times, divorced four times, have no children, and can't boil an egg."

In later life, she assumed a more influential role as Co-Chairman of the Advisory Council of the National Committee Against Discrimination in Housing. From 1949 until 1954, she worked for UNESCO; she also was an active member of the Democratic Party.

Her autobiography, Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming, was published in 1987.

Death

On December 14, 1993, after battling breast cancer and enduring two mastectomies, she died during surgery, the exact nature of which was never specified in the reports of her death in New York City. She was cremated and the ashes interred at Forestvale Cemetery, in Helena, Montana.

Awards

In 1965 she won the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre. She also received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Kennedy Center in 1988.

Although Loy was never nominated for an Academy Award for any single performance, after an extensive letter writing campaign and years of lobbying by screenwriter and then-Writers Guild of America, west board member Michael Russnow, who enlisted the support of Loy's former screen colleagues and friends such as Roddy McDowall, Sidney Sheldon, Harold Russell and many others, she received an Academy Honorary Award in 1991, "for her career achievement". She accepted via camera from her New York home, making only a short acceptance speech of, "You've made me very happy. Thank you very much." It was her last public appearance in any medium.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6685 Hollywood Blvd.

Helena is home to the Myrna Loy Center for the Performing and Media Arts, which opened in 1991 and sponsors live performances and films for an underserved audience.

Centenary

On August 2, 2005, the centenary of Loy's birth, Warner Home Video released the six films from The Thin Man series, on DVD as a boxed set.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
Ann Dvorak

Birth name Anna McKim
Born August 2, 1912
New York, New York, USA
Died December 10, 1979, age 67
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

Ann Dvorak (August 2, 1912 - December 10, 1979) was an American film actress.

Born Anna McKim in New York, New York, Dvorak was the daughter of silent actress Anna Lehr and the actor/director, Samuel McKim, and as a child appeared in several films.

She began working for MGM in the late 1920s as a dance instructor and gradually began to appear on film in small musical roles. Howard Hughes groomed her as a dramatic actress and she was a success in such pre-Code films as Scarface (1932), as Paul Muni's sister, as the doomed unstable "Vivian" in Three on a Match (1932), with Joan Blondell and Bette Davis, Love Is a Racket (1932), and opposite Spencer Tracy in Sky Devils (1932).

Known for her style and elegance, she was a popular leading for Warner Brothers during the 1930s, and appeared in numerous contemporary romances and melodramas. A dispute over her pay (she discovered she was making the same amount of money as the little boy who played her son in Three on a Match) led to her finishing out her contract on permanent suspension, and then working as a freelancer, but although she worked regularly, the quality of her scripts declined sharply. She appeared as secretary Della Street in 1937's vehicle for Donald Woods as Perry Mason, The Case of the Stuttering Bishop.

With her British husband, the actor Leslie Fenton, Dvorak travelled to England where she supported the war effort by working as an ambulance driver, and worked in several British films. She retired from the screen in 1951, when she married her 3rd and final husband (Nicholas Wade), to whom she remained married until his death in 1977. She had no children.

She lived her post-retirement years in anonymity until her death (from undisclosed causes) in Honolulu, Hawaii at the age of 68. She was cremated and her ashes scattered.

Ann Dvorak has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to Motion Pictures, at 6321 Hollywood Boulevard.

Asked how to say her name, she told The Literary Digest: "My name is properly pronounced vor'shack. The D remains silent. I have had quite a time with the name, having been called practically everything from Balzac to Bickelsrock." (Charles Earle Funk, What's the Name, Please?, Funk & Wagnalls, 1936.)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:15 am
Gary Merrill

Gary F. Merrill (August 2, 1915 - March 5, 1990) was an American film and television character actor whose credits included more than fifty feature films, a half-dozen mostly short-lived TV series, and dozens of TV guest appearances.

Born in Hartford, Connecticut, he began acting in 1944, while still in the United States Army. Before entering films, Merrill's deep cultured voice won him a recurring role as Batman in the Superman radio series. His film career began promisingly, with roles in films like Twelve O'Clock High (1949) and All About Eve (1950), but he rarely moved beyond supportive roles in his many Westerns, war movies, and medical dramas. His television career was extensive, if not consistent. Two of his recurring roles, which included Then Came Bronson and Young Doctor Kildare, lasted less than a season.

Merrill's first marriage was to Barbara Leeds in 1941 which ended in divorce in 1950. He immediately married Bette Davis, his co-star from All About Eve, adopting her daughter from a previous marriage. He and Davis adopted two more children, but eventually divorced in 1960. Merrill was later romantically linked with actress Rita Hayworth.

Often politically active, he campaigned to elect Edmund Muskie to governor of Maine in 1953. Merrill also took part in the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965. In response to President Johnson's Vietnam policy, he unsuccessfully sought nomination to the Maine legislature as an anti-war, pro-environmentalist primary candidate[1].

Aside from an occasional role as narrator, Merrill had essentially retired from the entertainment business after 1980. Shortly before his death, he authored the autobiography Bette, Rita and the Rest of My Life (1989). Merrill died of lung cancer at Falmouth, Maine and is buried there in the Pine Grove Cemetery. During his long residence in Falmouth, Merrill received some complaints from the more strait-laced locals due to his habit of appearing in public wearing a caftan instead of a shirt and trousers.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
Carroll O'Connor

Birth name John Carroll O'Connor
Born August 2, 1924
the Bronx, New York, New York, United States of America
Died June 21, 2001 (aged 76)
Culver City, California
Spouse(s) Nancy O'Connor
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards

Outstanding Lead Actor - Comedy Series
1972 All in the Family
1977 All in the Family
1978 All in the Family
1979 All in the Family
Outstanding Lead Actor - Drama Series
1989 In the Heat of the Night
Golden Globe Awards

Best Television Actor - Comedy or Musical
1972 All in the Family

John Carroll O'Connor (August 2, 1924 - June 21, 2001) was an American actor, most famous for his portrayal of the character Archie Bunker in the television sitcoms All in the Family (1971-1979) and Archie Bunker's Place (1979-1983). O'Connor later starred in the television series In the Heat of the Night as Police Chief Bill Gillespie from 1988 to 1994.

Biography

O'Connor, of Irish descent, was born in The Bronx, New York and spent much of his youth in Forest Hills, Queens, the same borough in which his character Archie Bunker would later live. He served in the United States Merchant Marine during World War II, was educated in Montana and Ireland, and began his acting career shortly afterward. O'Connor's many film roles include Lonely Are The Brave (1962), Cleopatra (1963), In Harm's Way (1965), Hawaii (1966), The Devil's Brigade (1968) and Kelly's Heroes (1970). O'Connor also appeared on episodes of many popular television series such as Gunsmoke, I Spy, The Fugitive and The Wild Wild West. He was also among the actors considered for the role of Dr. Smith in the TV show Lost In Space, as well as being the visual template in the creation of Batman foe Rupert Thorne, a character who debuted at the height of All in the Family's success in Detective Comics #469 (published May 1976 by DC Comics).

O'Connor was living in Italy in 1970 when producer Norman Lear asked him to star as Archie Bunker in a new sitcom called All in the Family. O'Connor did not expect the show to be a success and believed he would be able to move back to Europe. Instead, the show became the highest-rated television program on American television for five years until 1976.

O'Connor's own politics were liberal, but he understood the Bunker character and played him not only with bombast and humor but with touches of vulnerability. The writing on the show was consistently left of center, but O'Connor often deftly skewered the liberal pieties of the day. The result is widely considered to be an absorbing, entertaining television show. All in the Family was based on the BBC show Til Death Us Do Part, with Bunker based on Alf Garnett, but somewhat less abrasive.

Although Bunker was famous for his malapropisms of the English language, O'Connor was highly educated and cultured and was an English teacher before he turned to acting.

O'Connor married his wife Nancy in Dublin, Ireland (and she later converted to Roman Catholicism for him) in 1951, and their only child, adopted son Hugh O'Connor, committed suicide in 1995 after a long battle with drug addiction. Hugh left a widow and small child behind. O'Connor appeared in public service announcements for Partnership for a Drug Free America and spent the rest of his life working to raise awareness about drug addiction. He was instrumental in the passage of California's Drug Dealers Civil Liability Act.

In the late 1990s, O'Connor taught screenwriting at the University of Montana, where he attended college in his earlier years. In March 2000, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was given a St. Patrick's Day tribute by MGM.

O'Connor died on June 21, 2001, at the age of 76 from a heart attack brought on by complications from diabetes. In honor of his death, TV Land moved an entire weekend of programming to the next week and showed a continuous marathon of All in the Family. During the commercial breaks they also showed some interview footage of O'Connor and various All in the Family actors, producers with whom he had worked, and other associates.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:20 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:22 am
"We Miss Rodney Dangerfield, Because ..."

* My wife only has sex with me for a purpose. Last night she used me
to time an egg.

* It is tough to stay married. My wife kisses the dog on the lips,
yet she will not drink from my glass!

* Last night my wife met me at the front door. She was wearing a sexy
negligee. The only trouble was she was coming home.

* A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I
went over. Nobody was home!

* A hooker once told me she had a headache.

* I went to a massage parlor. It was self-service.

* If it were not for pickpockets, I would have no sex life at all.

* I was making love to this girl and she started crying. I said, "Are
you going to hate yourself in the morning?" She said, "No, I hate
myself now."

* I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That is
when you put a bag over your head in case the bag over her head comes
off.

* I knew a girl so ugly they use her in prisons to cure sex offenders.

* My wife is such a bad cook, if we leave dental floss in the kitchen
the roaches hang themselves.

* I am so ugly I stuck my head out the window and got arrested for
mooning.

* The other day I came home and a guy was jogging, naked. I asked
him, "Why?" He said, "Because you came home early."

* My wife is such a bad cook, the dog begs for Alka-Seltzer.

* I know I am not sexy. When I put my underwear on I can hear the
Fruit-of-the- Loom guys giggling.

* My wife is such a bad cook, in my house we pray after the meal.

* My wife likes to talk on the phone during sex. She called me from
Chicago last night.

* My family was so poor that if I had not been born a boy, I would
not have had anything to play with.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:00 am
Good morning, hawkman. Love those Rodney observations, especially the last one. Looks as though he gets respect after all. Thanks for the great bio's, buddy. and let's hope we have a carnival of animals on our radio today, and that our picture perfect pup will be along shortly.

Ah, how long ago we observed the prototype for All in the Family. It was "Til Death do us Part" in England.

How about the theme from Archie and Edith. (the original ding bat)

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played!

Songs that made the Hit Parade.

Guys like us, we had it made.

Those were the days!

And you knew where you were then.

Girls were girls and men were men.

Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need know welfare state.

Everybody pulled his weight.

Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.

Those were the days!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:10 pm
Good Afternoon.

Here are those matches. Love Peter O'Toole. In a few minutes I'll be watching him in "The Night of the Generals" on TCM. I also love Myrna Loy - especially when she appears with Asta in The Thin Man movies. I once had a wirehaired terrior that looked just like Asta, but he was a little devil. Loved him just the same. Very Happy

http://home.att.net/~weatherwax/objects/myrna_po.jpghttp://billdouglas.ex.ac.uk/eve/object_images/81431.jpg
http://www.cinefania.com/pics/personas/3/3356.jpghttp://www.biography.com/images/database_images/18095.a.jpg
http://unsquare.com/dance/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/otoole9.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:31 pm
I wondered where you were, Raggedy. Thanks once again for those matchless faces, PA

We're looking at Myrna Loy and William Powell, Anne Dvorak (don't recall her) Gary, "Archie" and Lawrence. (reminds me of Roger) I recall The Night of the Generals. I thought it had to do with the attempted assassination of Hitler, but it was a murder mystery, I think.

Can't think of one song by any of those famous folks, but they do put us in a sentimental mood, right?

So, listeners, let's listen to The Duke.

In a sentimental mood

I can see the stars come through my room

While your loving attitude

Is like a flame that lights the gloom

On the wings of every kiss

Drifts a melody so strange and sweet

In this sentimental bliss

You make my paradise complete

Rose petals seem to fall

Its all I could dream to call you mine

My hearts a lighter thing

Since you made this night a thing divine

In a sentimental mood

I'm within a world so heavenly

For I never dreamt that you'd be loving sentimental me
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:50 pm
Angel Baby
Rosie & The Originals

It's just like heaven being here with you
You're like an angel too good to be true
But after all, I love you, I do
Angel Baby, my Angel Baby

When you are near me my heart skips a beat
I can hardly stand on my own two feet
Because I love you, I love you, I do

Oooh, I love you, ooooh I do
No one could love you like I do

Please never leave me blue and alone
If you ever go I'm sure you'll come back home
Because I love you, I love you, I do

Oooooh, I love you, oooh I do
No one could love you like I do
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 06:04 pm
Let's Think About Living
Bob Luman

In every other song that I've heard lately
Some fellow gets shot
And his baby and his best friend both die with him
As likely as not
In half of the other songs
Some Cat's crying or ready to die
We've lost most of our happy people
And I'm wondering why

Let's think about living
Let's think about loving
Let's think about the whoopin'
and hoppin and boppin'
and the lovie, lovie dovin'
Let's forget about the whinin' and the cryin'
And the shooting and the dying
And the fellow with a switchblade knife
Let's think about living
Let's think about life

We lost old Marty Robbins
Down in old El Paso a little while back
And now Miss Patti Page or one of them
Is a-wearing black
And Cath's Clown has Don and Phil
Where they feel like a-they could die
If we keep on a-losin' our singers like that
I'll be the only one you can buy'

Let's think about living
Let's think about loving
Let's think about the whoopin'
and hoppin and boppin'
and the lovie, lovie dovin'
Let's forget about the whinin' and the cryin'
And the shooting and the dying
And the fellow with a switchblade knife
Let's think about living
Let's think about life
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 06:24 pm
Thanks, edgar. Not familiar with either of your artists, but I agree with Bob Luman.

I took a look at Bob Dylan's Ballad of the Thin Man, but as usual, didn't quite understand the disconnection from reality idea; however, Texas, I did connect with a singer named Robbie Williams and was truly amazed at his background. What is it, folks, about creative people who have problems with self identity and psychological disorders?

I really like this song by him, and we hope you all enjoy it.

From Bridget Jones Diary.

ROBBIE WILLIAMS

"Have You Met Miss Jones?"

Have you met Miss Jones
Someone said as we shook hands
She was just Miss Jones to me

Then I said Miss Jones
You're a girl who understands
I'm a man who must be free.

And all at once I lost my breath
And all at once was scared to death
And all at once I own the earth and sky

Now I met Miss Jones
And well keep on meeting till we die
Miss Jones and I

And all at once I lost my breath
And all at once was scared to death
And all at once I own the earth and sky

Now I met Miss Jones
And well keep on meeting till we die
Miss Jones and I
Miss Jones and I

Miss Jones and I
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
Time for me to turn in, and happycat reminded of this puppy.

http://www.giftsonline.net/catalog/images/9102.jpg

Ain't no bugs on me
Ain't no bugs on me
There may be bugs on some of your mugs
But there ain't no bugs on me.

So I will turn in and sleep tight and won't let them famous bugs bite.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 04:06 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 04:09 am
Gordon Scott

Birth name Gordon Merrill Werschkul
Born August 3, 1926(1926-08-03)
Portland, Oregon, USA
Died April 30, 2007 (aged 80)
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Gordon Scott (August 3, 1926[1] - April 30, 2007) was an American actor known for his portrayal of Tarzan in five films (and one compilation of three made-as-a-pilot television episodes) from 1955 to 1960.

Biography

Early life

Scott was born Gordon Merrill Werschkul in Portland, Oregon, one of nine children of advertising man Stanley Werschkul and his wife Alice.[2] Scott was raised in Oregon and attended the University of Oregon for one semester. Upon leaving school, he was drafted into the United States Army in 1944 and was honorably discharged in 1947. He then worked at a variety of jobs until 1953, when he was spotted by a talent agent while working as a lifeguard at the Las Vegas Sahara Hotel.

Career and Personal Life

Due in part to his muscular frame and 6'3" height, he was quickly signed to replace Lex Barker as Tarzan.[3] Scott's Tarzan films ranged from rather cheap re-edited television pilots to larger scale epics. Two of them, Tarzan's Greatest Adventure and Tarzan the Magnificent are generally considered to be among the very best Tarzan films ever made. Scott's (and his writers') particular gifts to the series included returning Tarzan to his former status as a literate, well-spoken character. Following his departure from the Tarzan films, he moved to Italy and became a popular star of what were known as "sword and sandal" epics, featuring handsome body-builders as various characters from Greek and Roman myth. Scott was a friend of Hercules star Steve Reeves, and collaborated with him as Remus to Reeves' Romulus in Duel of the Titans (1961). Scott also played Hercules in a couple of low-budget productions during the mid-1960s. His final film appearance was in The Tramplers, filmed in 1966, released in the U. S. in 1968. Scott was married apparently three times, including once to his Tarzan co-star, actress Vera Miles, from 1954 to 1959. He had one son, Michael, born 1957, with Miles, and possibly several more children[4]. For the last two decades of his life, he was a popular guest at film conventions and autograph shows. His manner of making a living the last forty years of his life is unclear, for aside from autograph shows and selling occasional souvenir knives, he does not seem to have been employed. He spent much of his final years living with fans who remembered him from his Tarzan days[5].

Death

Scott died on April 30, 2007 in Baltimore, Maryland of lingering complications from multiple heart surgeries earlier in the year.
0 Replies