0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
Neil Simon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neil Simon (born Marvin Neil Simon July 4, 1927 in The Bronx, New York City), is a Jewish American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world.

Simon briefly attended New York University in 1946. Two years later, he quit his job as a mailroom clerk in the Warner Brothers offices in Manhattan to write radio and television scripts with his brother Danny Simon. Their revues for Camp Tamiment in Pennsylvania in the early 1950s caught the attention of Sid Caesar, who hired the duo for his popular TV comedy series Your Show of Shows. (Simon later incorporated their experiences into his play Laughter on the 23rd Floor.) His work won him two Emmy Award nominations and the appreciation of Phil Silvers, who hired him to write for his eponymous sitcom in 1959.

In 1961, Simon's first Broadway play, Come Blow Your Horn, opened at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre, where it ran for 678 performances. Six weeks after its closing, his second production, the musical Little Me (starring former boss Caesar), opened to mixed reviews. Although it failed to attract a large audience, it earned Simon his first Tony Award nomination. Overall, he has garnered seventeen Tony nominations and won three. He has also won a Pulitzer Prize in drama for Lost In Yonkers.

His prolific output includes light comedies (Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple), darker, more autobiographical works (Chapter Two, the Eugene Trilogy comprised of Brighton Beach Memoirs, Biloxi Blues and Broadway Bound) and books for musical comedies (Sweet Charity, Promises, Promises).

He has also written screenplays for over 20 films. These include adaptations of his own plays as well as original work, including The Out-of-Towners, Murder by Death and The Goodbye Girl. He has received four Best Screenplay Academy Award nominations.

Simon has been married five times, to dancer Joan Baim (1953-1973), actress Marsha Mason (1973-1981), twice to Diane Lander (1987-1988 and 1990-1998), and currently actress Elaine Joyce with son Michael. He is also the father of Nancy and Ellen, from his first marriage, and Bryn, whom he adopted with Lander.

Simon has an honorary L.H.D. degree from Hofstra University and an honorary D.H.C. degree from Williams College. He is the owner of the Eugene O'Neill Theatre as well as the namesake of another Broadway house.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:03 am
Stephen Boyd

Birth name William Millar
Born July 4, 1931
Whitehouse, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Died June 2, 1977, age 45
Northridge, California, USA

Stephen Boyd (born William Millar, July 4, 1931 - June 2, 1977) - was a Northern Ireland-born actor, born at Doagh Road, Whitehouse, County Antrim, who starred in over fifty films.

He began in British films, but it was his role in a 1957 French film Les bijoutiers du clair de lune (English title: Heaven Fell That Night) opposite Brigitte Bardot that got him noticed. He went to Hollywood and appeared as second leads in a variety of films, including The Bravados (1958). His role as Messala in Ben-Hur (1959) propelled him to international fame and he was thereafter fated to play roles wearing breastplates and Roman togas, as in Samuel Bronston's The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), in which he co-starred with Sophia Loren. He received a Golden Globe for his performance in Ben-Hur.

He was originally chosen to play Mark Antony opposite Elizabeth Taylor in 20th Century-Fox's epic production of Cleopatra under the direction of Rouben Mamoulian, but eventually withdrew from the problem-plagued production when he committed to star in The Fall of the Roman Empire (Cleopatra was later directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and the role of Mark Antony went to Richard Burton).

Boyd also appeared in John Huston's Biblical epic The Bible...in the Beginning (1966) and was top-billed in another costumed epic Genghis Khan (1965), filmed in Yugoslavia. He appeared in the French-produced Napoleonic epic Imperial Venus (1962), playing opposite Gina Lollobrigida. His non-epic roles included the musical Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962) opposite Doris Day, the Hollywood melodrama The Oscar (1966), the sci-fi special effects extravaganza Fantastic Voyage (1966), the spy thriller Assignment K (1969) and the international Western Shalako (1969), shot in Spain. His career declined in the 1970s and he appeared in several European potboilers before making a comeback in Michael Apted's British gangster thriller The Squeeze (1977).

He died of a heart attack at the age of 45 while playing golf at the Porter Valley Country Club in Northridge, California.

Stephen Boyd was interred in Oakwood Memorial Park Cemetery in Chatsworth, California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:06 am
Bill Withers

Background information
Born July 4, 1938
Slab Fork, West Virginia, United States
Origin Los Angeles
Genre(s) Soul, R&B
Instrument(s) Voice, acoustic guitar
Years active 1967-1985
Label(s) Sussex Records
Columbia Records
Website http://www.billwithers.com/

Bill Withers (born July 4, 1938 in Slab Fork, West Virginia) is an American singer-songwriter who performed and recorded from the late 1960s until the mid 1980s. Some of his best-known songs include "Ain't No Sunshine," "Use Me," "Lean on Me", "Grandma's Hands", and "Just the Two of Us".

Early life

Bill Withers was born the youngest of nine children in the small coal-mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia. Raised in nearby Beckley, West Virginia, he was thirteen when his father died. He joined the United States Navy at seventeen and served for nine years, during which time he became interested in singing. He began writing songs to fill a need for lyrics that expressed what he felt. Following his discharge from the Navy in 1965, he moved to Los Angeles in 1967 to pursue a career in music.[1]

Withers worked full-time in a Lockheed assembly plant, assembling toilets for Boeing 747s, while recording demo tapes he shopped around and performing in the juke joints during the night.[2] When he debuted on the music scene with "Ain't No Sunshine" he refused to give up his job because of his belief that the music business was a fickle industry and that he was still a novice compared to other working acts like The Temptations or Sammy Davis, Jr.[citation needed]

Career

Sussex Records

In early 1970, Withers' demo tape was received favorably by Clarence Avant of Sussex Records. Avant signed Withers to a record deal and assigned Booker T. Jones to produce Withers' debut album. Four three-hour studio sessions were planned to record the album, but funding caused the album to be recorded in three sessions with a six-month break between the second and final sessions. Just As I Am was released in 1971 with the tracks "Harlem" and "Ain't No Sunshine" as singles.[3]

The album was a hit and Withers began touring with a band assembled from members of The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band: drummer James Gadson, guitarist Bernoce Blackmon, keyboardist Ray Jackson, and bassist Melvin Dunlap. During a break in touring, Withers recorded his second album, Still Bill. The single "Lean on Me" went to number one the week of July 8, 1972.

A 1973 performance was recorded for the live album Bill Withers, Live at Carnegie Hall. It was followed by the 1974 album +Justments.

After +Justments, Withers became engaged in a legal dispute with the Sussex label and was unable to record. During this time, he wrote and produced two songs on the Gladys Knight & the Pips record I Feel A Song and performed in concert as part of the historical Ali/Forman fight in Zaire. Footage of his performance appeared in the 1996 documentary film When We Were Kings and the accompanying soundtrack.

Columbia Records

Withers signed with Columbia Records in 1975. His first released with the label was Making Music, Making Friends, which had the single "She's Lonely" appear in the movie Looking for Mr. Goodbar. The next three years saw an album released each year with Naked & Warm (1976), Menagerie (1977) and 'Bout Love (1978).

He then focused on joint projects for several years, including the multiple Grammy-nominated "Just the Two of Us," which he performed with jazz saxophonist Grover Washington, Jr., "Soul Shadows" with The Crusaders, and "In The Name Of Love" with Ralph MacDonald, which was nominated for a vocal performance Grammy.

His final new release was 1985's Watching You, Watching Me, with the singles "Whatever Happens" and "You Just Can't Smile It Away". He retired from the music business after the album was released.

Other endeavors

After retiring, Withers focused on parenting with his wife Marcia, who handles the day-to-day running of his publishing company.[2] In 1987, he received his ninth Grammy nomination and third Grammy as a songwriter for the re-recording of "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau.

Following the reissues of Still Bill in 2003 and Just As I am in 2005, there was speculation of previously unreleased material being issued as a new album.[4] Tapes of his unreleased material were delivered from Sony to Withers in 2006.[2]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
You know you are in deep trouble when...

* The stewardess on your American Airlines flight tells you NOT to
fasten your seatbelt.

* Your accountants letter of resignation is postmarked Panama.

* You have to hitch hike to the bank to make your late car payment.

* The little league puts you on waivers.

* Your suggestion box starts ticking.

* Your secretary tells you the FBI is on line 1, the DEA is on line 2,
and CBS is on line 3.

* You see your stockbroker hitchhiking out of town.

* You see the cruise captain running toward the railing wearing a life
jacket.

* They pay your wages out of petty cash.

* You make more than you ever made, owe more than you ever owed, and
have less than you've ever had.

* Getting there is half the fun and three-fourths of the vacation
budget.

* The simple instructions enclosed, aren't.

* A black cat crosses you path and drops dead.

* You take an assertiveness training course and you're afraid to tell
your wife.

* You see your wife and your girlfriend having lunch together.

* Your pacemaker has only a thirty day guarantee.

* The candles on your cake set off your smoke alarm.

* The pest exterminator crawls under your house and never comes out.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
I've done it before and I'd do it again. I regard this as one of the most wonderful songs ever written. If it's the favorite of a gigantic gorilla, namely Mighty Joe Young, who can argue it's merits.

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, 1865

Stephen C. Foster

LYRICS

Beautiful dreamer, wake unto me,
Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee;
Sounds of the rude world, heard in the day,
Lull'd by the moonlight have all pass'd away!
Beautiful dreamer, queen of my song,
List while I woo thee with soft melody;
Gone are the cares of life's busy throng,
Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me!

Beautiful dreamer, out on the sea
Mermaids are chanting the wild lorelie;
Over the streamlet vapors are borne,
Waiting to fade at the bright coming morn.
Beautiful dreamer, beam on my heart,
E'en as the morn on the streamlet and sea;
Then will all clouds of sorrow depart,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
Ray Charles
Swanee River Rock

'way down upon the Swanee River
Far, far away
There's where my heart is turning ever
There's where the old folks stay
All the world is sad and dreary everywhere I roam
Oh, darling, how my heart grows weary
Far from the old folks at home
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
Thanks, hawkman, for all the great background that matches our Raggedy's faces, and, we appreciate the warnings.

I, too, love Beautiful Dreamer. I have learned to appreciate the old songs.

Incidentally, Boston Bob. In the final scenes of Titanic, the sight of that old lady dropping the beautiful necklace into the water while in the background we hear the beautiful whistle music of Ireland, was the most poignant part of the film.

Here is the song that goes with the movie, folks

Artist: Titanic
Song: My Heart Will Go On

Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you
That is how I know you go on.

Far across the distance
and spaces between us
You have come to show you go on.

Near, Far,
wherever you are,
I believe that the heart does go on.

Once more, you opened the door
And you're here in my heart,
and my heart will go on and on.

Love can touch us one time
and last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're gone.

Love was when I loved you,
one true time to hold on to
In my life we'll always go on.

Near, far,
wherever you are,
I believe that the heart does go on.

Once more, you opened the door
And you're here in my heart,

You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on.
We'll stay, forever this way
You are safe in my heart

0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Ray Charles
Swanee River Rock

'way down upon the Swanee River
Far, far away
There's where my heart is turning ever
There's where the old folks stay
All the world is sad and dreary everywhere I roam
Oh, darling, how my heart grows weary
Far from the old folks at home

Here it is!
Ray Charles Swanee River Rock
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:46 am
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
The National Anthem Sung By Cher
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:36 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
I've done it before and I'd do it again. I regard this as one of the most wonderful songs ever written. If it's the favorite of a gigantic gorilla, namely Mighty Joe Young, who can argue it's merits.

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, 1865"

I can't. I loved that Mighty Joe Young. And don't forget that lust in the dust movie, "Duel in the Sun" in which Lillian Gish played it on the piano (I think she sang it, too), and it was her theme music throughout the movie. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
Raggedyaggie wrote:
bobsmythhawk wrote:

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, 1865"

I can't. I loved that Mighty Joe Young. And don't forget that lust in the dust movie, "Duel in the Sun" in which Lillian Gish played it on the piano (I think she sang it, too), and it was her theme music throughout the movie. Very Happy

Cheyenne Bodie (Clint Walker) sang it in the TV series, Cheyenne.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Boots Randolph, a saxophone player best known for the 1963 hit "Yakety Sax," died Tuesday. He was 80.

Randolph suffered a cerebral hemorrhage June 25 and had been hospitalized in a coma. He was taken off a respirator earlier Tuesday, said Betty Hofer, a publicist and spokeswoman for the family.

Randolph played regularly in Nashville nightclubs for 30 years, becoming a tourist draw for the city much like Wayne Newton in Las Vegas and Pete Fountain in New Orleans.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
edgar, Thanks for that update on Boots, Texas. I know that he did a couple of hit singles, Hey Mr. Sax Man, and Temptation, but the only songs that I could find were ones in which he played accompaniment. Something tells me, folks, that the Sax Man song might have something to do with Bob Dylan.

Here's one that featured Boots, and this version is done by Ray Charles.

(I can't stop loving you)
I've made up my mind
To live in memories of the lonesome times
(I can't stop wanting you)
It's useless to say
So I'll just live my life in dreams of yesterday
(Those happy hours)
Those happy hours
(That we once knew)
That we once knew
(Tho' long ago)
Tho' long ago
(Still make me blue)
Still ma-a-a-ake me blue
(They say that time)
They say that time
(Heals a broken heart)
Heals a broken heart
(But time has stood still)
Time has stood still
(Since we've been apart)
Since we've been apart

(I can't stop loving you)
I said I made up my mind
To live in memory of the lonesome times
(Sing a song, children)
(I can't stop wanting you)
It's useless to say
So I'll just live my life of dreams of yesterday
(Of yesterday)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:38 pm
Shooby Doo Wop ba baa (hey hey)

My heart is cryin',cryin'
Lonely teardrops
My pillows never dry of
Lonely teardrops

Come home, come home
Just say you will, say you will (say you will)
Say you will (say you will)
Hey, hey (say you will)

My heart is cryin, cryin
Lonely teardrops
My pillows never dry of
Lonely teardrops

Come home, come home
Hey, hey (say you will)

Just give me another chance
For our romance
Come on and tell me
That one day you'll return
Cause everyday that you've been gone away
You know my heart does nothing but burn
Crying

Lonely teardrops
My pillows never dry of
Lonely teardrops

Come home, come home
Hey, hey (say you will)
Say it right now baby (say you will)
Come on, come on (say you will)
Say it darling

Jackie Wilson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 02:02 pm
When
The Kalin Twins

[Words and Music by Paul Evans and Jack Reardon]