Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:05 am
Sandra Dee
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Alexandra Cymboliak Zuck
Born April 23, 1942
Bayonne, New Jersey
Died February 20, 2005, age 62
Thousand Oaks, California

Sandra Dee (April 23, 1944 (or 1942; see below) - February 20, 2005) was an American film actress best known for her role as "Gidget."

Birth and background

Born Alexandra Zuck to Mary Cimboliak, who was of Rusyn ancestry, and John Zuck, in Bayonne, New Jersey, Dee was a professional model by the age of four. She progressed to television commercials and then made her first film, Until They Sail, in 1957. There is some confusion as to her actual birth year, with evidence pointing to both 1942 and 1944; this likely stems back to her mother's practice of misreporting her age.

Career

In 1958 she won a Golden Globe Award for "Most Promising Newcomer" (along with Carolyn Jones and Diane Varsi). Her film career flourished, and she became known for her wholesome ingenue roles in such films as Imitation of Life, Gidget and A Summer Place (all in 1959).

During the 1970s she took very few acting roles, but made occasional television appearances. Her 1950s persona was the inspiration for the song "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee," featured in the 1972 Broadway musical Grease, and the 1978 film version.

Personal life

Her marriage in 1960 to singer/actor Bobby Darin kept her in the public eye for much of the decade. She was contracted to Universal Studios, who tried to develop Dee as a mature actress, and the films she made as an adult--including a few with Darin--were moderately successful. They had one son together, who took the name Dodd Mitchell Darin, but in 1967 she and Darin were divorced.

Reportedly sexually abused as a child by her stepfather, Dee's adult years were marked by ill health. She admitted that for most of her life she battled anorexia nervosa, depression and alcoholism. In 2000, it was reported that she had been diagnosed with throat cancer and renal disease, but it later appeared that the throat scare was unfounded. Complications from the kidney failure (aka End Stage Renal Disease-ESRD), combined with a bout of pneumonia, led to her death on February 20, 2005, in Thousand Oaks, California. She is interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Hollywood Hills.

At the time of her death, she was survived by Dodd, her son with Bobby Darin, and two granddaughters, Alexa and Olivia Darin.

In 1994, Dodd wrote a book about his parents, Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee, in which he chronicled his mother's anorexia, drug and alcohol problems.

Her life with Bobby Darin has been dramatized in the 2004 film Beyond the Sea, in which she was played by Kate Bosworth.

It is noteworthy that at the peak of Sandra's fame, while mainstream Hollywood turned its focus, lensing and marketing mature female roles and their inherent sexiness, Dee's demure role as "Gidget" became arguably (even though there were other child stars in the studio stables at the time), the epitome of the Screen Teen Queen, an image of which went a long way to solidify the '50's - '60's American teen male's ideal of falling in love with the "girl next door".

Trivia

Dee is mentioned in the third verse of Waylon Jennings' 1979 song "I Ain't Living Long Like This" with the verses "I will live Angel, she's a roadhouse queen. Makes Texas Ruby look like Sandra Dee."
Dee is portrayed by Kate Bosworth in the 2004 film Beyond the Sea about the life of Bobby Darin.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:10 am
Hervé Villechaize

Hervé Jean-Pierre Villechaize (April 23, 1943 - September 4, 1993) was a French actor of Filipino ancestry who achieved worldwide recognition for his role as Mr. Roarke's assistant, Tattoo, in the television series Fantasy Island (1978 - 1984).

He was also well known for playing the evil henchman Nick Nack in the James Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun.

Villechaize suffered from proportionate (as opposed to achondroplastic) dwarfism due to a thyroid dysfunction, despite his surgeon father's attempts to cure the disease in several institutions. In later years, he insisted on being called a midget, rather than "little person," irritating activists like Billy Barty.

Born and raised in Paris, Villechaize was bullied at school for his condition and found solace in painting. After studying art at college, he left for the USA at his father's urging to avoid the severe prejudice against dwarfs in France.

He settled in a bohemian section in New York, taught himself English by watching television, and continued his career as an artist and photographer. He began acting in off-Broadway productions, including a play by Sam Shepard, before moving on to film.

His first movie appearance was in Chappaqua in 1966, which was followed by several films including Crazy Joe, Seizure directed by Oliver Stone, The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight and The Forbidden Zone.

His big break was getting cast in The Man with the Golden Gun in 1974, by which time he had become so poor he was living out of his car in Los Angeles. From what his co-actor Christopher Lee saw, The Man with the Golden Gun filming was possibly the happiest time of Herve's life, Lee likening it to honey in the sandwich between an insecure past and an uncertain future.

In addition to being an actor, Villechaize became an active member of a movement in 1970s-1980s California to deal with child abuse and neglect, often going to crime scenes himself to help comfort abuse victims. Villechaize's former co-workers recalled that despite his stature, he would often confront and chastise spousal and child abusers when he arrived at crime scenes.

As a consequence of his health problems and troubles in his professional career, Villechaize became alcoholic and depressive in the last few years of his life, which led to erratic and sometimes violent behavior, including an incident in which he allegedly held his agent at gunpoint in a booth at a restaurant in L.A.

In 1993, he attempted suicide by shooting himself at his home, and was later discovered by his common law wife, Kathy Self. He would later die as a result of his injuries after being rushed to a hospital in North Hollywood, California.

At the time of his suicide, Cartoon Network was in negotiations for him to co-star in Space Ghost Coast to Coast, which was in pre-production at the time. Villechaize would have been Space Ghost's sidekick on the show.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:15 am
Joyce DeWitt

Joyce Anne DeWitt (born April 23, 1949) is an American actress most famous for her role as Janet Wood on the television situation comedy Three's Company.

Dewitt was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, to Paul and Shirley DeWitt, and has Swedish, Italian and Irish ancestry. She became almost as famous for her disappearance after the series as she did for her Three's Company role; after the series, she did not appear as a regular player on any television series, which led to a number of "Whatever Happened to Joyce DeWitt?" retrospectives in newspaper entertainment columns and television gossip shows [1] [2]. This was also parodied on an episode of Family Guy, when Brian finds DeWitt hiding in a wicker basket in a bazaar reminiscent of Indiana Jones. Surprised, Brian remarks, "Joyce DeWitt!? So that's where you've been!" To which she promptly responds with a "Shhh." In an episode of Pinky and the Brain, DeWitt is revealed to be the ruler of the Earth.

Years later, Joyce DeWitt would reveal that she turned her back on Hollywood and show business because of the "disrespectful treatment" she received from the producers of "Three's Company". She also co-produced and hosted the television film Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Three's Company (2003) with actress Melanie Deanne Moore portraying her during her time on "Three's Company" series.

She and her former Three's Company co-star Suzanne Somers have had an acrimonious relationship (caused by Somers' mid-season salary negotiation ploy in 1980) and, according to many sources, still do not speak to each other. However, she and Priscilla Barnes (Somers's replacement on the show) became lifelong friends.

Famous for refusing to do any scenes bare-legged (she always wore either pantyhose or tights), she became a paid endorser for L'Eggs hosiery in the late 1970s. DeWitt dated actor LeVar Burton, but her parents did not approve of the interracial romance, and it ended after six months. [3] She lived with actor Ray Buktenica in the late 1970's before the relationship ended.[4]

Although she was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, Joyce grew up in Speedway, Indiana, a suburb of Indianapolis. After she received a bachelor's degree from Ball State University, she moved to California to earn her masters degree from the University of California at Los Angeles. While attending UCLA, she worked part-time as a house painter and once was hired to paint actor Abe Vigoda's garage doors. This painting job spawned a friendship between DeWitt and Vigoda which has endured to the present day.[citation needed]

Trivia

Joyce DeWitt has taken part in the majority of the DVD Extras on the Three's Company DVDs (Season 2+).
Joyce appeared as herself in an episode of the Canadian cult sit-com Twitch City in 1998. The episode was titled "I look like Joyce DeWitt"
Joyce DeWitt appeared for a week in 2004 on Hollywood Squares to promote the TV Land/Nick @ Nite Line-up by representing Three's Company.
Joyce was a part of the ABC Team for several installments of Battle of the Network Stars.
Joyce took part in a holiday special on Nick @ Nite in 2005.
Joyce took part in a parody of Desperate Housewives on TV Land's Awards.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:20 am
Top 17 Country Songs

17. I Hate Every Bone In Her Body But Mine
16. It's Hard To Kiss the Lips At Night That Chewed My A$$ Out All Day
15. If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You
14. If The Phone Don't Ring,You'll Know It's Me
13. How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
12. I Liked You Better Before I Got To Know You So Well
11. I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Getting Better
10. I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dogfight 'Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
9. I'll Marry You Tomorrow, But Let's Honeymoon Tonight
8. I'm So Miserable Without You It's Like You're Still Here
7. If I Had Shot You When I First Wanted To, I'd Be Out Of Prison Now
6. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do Miss Him
5. She Got The Ring and I Got the Finger
4. You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly
3. Her Teeth Was Stained But Her Heart Were Pure
2. She's Looking Better After Every Beer
And the Number One Country Song ---
1. I Ain't Never Gone To Bed With an Ugly Woman, But I've Sure Woke Up With A Few
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
Stockard Channing Lyrics - Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee Lyrics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Artist: Stockard Channing Lyrics
Song: Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee Lyrics

Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, lousy with virginity
Won't go to bed till I'm legally wed, I can't, I'm Sandra Dee
Watch it, hey, I'm Doris Day, I was not brought up that way
Won't come across, even Rock
Hudson lost his heart to Doris Day
I don't drink or swear, I won't rat my hair,
I get ill from one cigarette
Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers.
Would you pull that crap with Annette?
As for you, Troy Donahue, I know what you wanna do
You got your crust, I'm no object of lust,
I'm just plain Sandra Dee Elvis,
Elvis, let me be, keep that pelvis far from me
Just keep your cool, now you're starting to drool
Hey, fungu, I'm Sandra Dee
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:56 am
Ah, Bob. Fabulous bio's and country songs. Love 'em, hawkman. Stockard Channing's Sandra Dee, and "....Boss, de plane, de plane...". Fun memories, folks.

Another wonderful memory:

Artist: Kevin Spacey

Song: Beyond the Sea

Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailin'

Somewhere beyond the sea
She's there watching for me
If I could fly like birds on a high
Then straight to her arms
I'd go sailing

It is far beyond the stars
It is near beyond the moon
But I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon

We'll meet beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailing

And I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon
We'll meet (I know we'll meet) beyond the shore
We're gonna kiss just as before
And happy we'll be beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailing

No more sailing
So long sailing
Bye bye sailing...

and the lovely French version.

Artist: Charles Trenet Lyrics
Song: La Mer Lyrics
La mer
Qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs
A des reflets d'argent
La mer
Des reflets changeants
Sous la pluie

La mer
Au ciel d'ete confond
Ses blancs moutons
Avec les anges si purs
La mer bergere d'azur
Infinie

Voyez
Pres des etangs
Ces grands roseaux mouilles
Voyez
Ces oiseaux blancs
Et ces maisons rouillees

La mer
Les a berces
Le long des golfes clairs
Et d'une chanson d'amour
La mer
A berce mon coeur pour la vie

Will, as usual, comment further when La pup arrives.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:03 am
Good afternoon WA2K.

Faces to match:

http://www.brownsteins.net/Ulpan/Images/ShirleyTemple.jpghttp://www.8notes.com/wiki/images/200px-Royorbison.jpg
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle1385.frontpage_thumbnail.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/73/180px-BigGidget.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7e/180px-HerveVillechaize.jpg
http://wawasworld.typepad.com/wawasworld/images/16m.jpg

Letty: I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
There's our Raggedy, folks, with her famous pictures. Thanks, PA, for the thought and the photo's.

We're looking at "One take Temple", Roy, Lee, Dee, Herve, and I am not quite certain. Razz

Here's to Roy whose popularity surged after Richard and Julia did that movie.

Pretty woman, walkin' down the street,
Pretty woman, the kind I'd like to meet,
Pretty woman,
I don't believe you
You're not the truth,
No one can look as good as you....Mercy

Pretty woman, oh won't you pardon me,
Pretty woman, I couldn't help but see,
Pretty woman,
That you look lovely as can be,
Are you lonely just like me.

RARRGH!

Pretty woman stop a while,
Pretty woman talk a while,
Pretty woman give your smile to me.
Pretty woman, yeah yeah yeah,
Pretty woman walk my way,
Pretty woman say you'll stay, with me.

Cuz I need you, I'll treat you right,
Come to me baby, be mine tonight

Pretty woman, don't walk on by,
Pretty woman, don't make me cry,
Pretty woman,
Don't walk away hey....Okay
If that's the way it must be OK.
I guess I'll go on home it's late,
Maybe tomorrow night but wait...
What do I see

Is she walking back to me?
Yea she's walking back to me.
Ohhhhhhhh pretty woman!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
Letty: That's Bob's last bio, Joyce DeWitt. I'm not familiar with her either, never having seen "Three's Company".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm
Thanks, Raggedy. I didn't want to take another look see. Don't know her, but I think Three's Company had a theme song. Yep, and here it is, folks.

Come and knock on our door,
(Come and knock on our door)
We've been waiting for you.
(We've been waiting for you)
Where the kisses are hers and hers and his
Three's company too.

Come and dance on our floor,
(Come and dance on our floor)
Take a step that is new.
(Take a step that is new)
We've a loveable space that needs your face
Three's company too.

You'll see that life is a ball again,
Laughter is calling for you-.
Down at our rendezvous
(Down at our rendezvous)
Three's company too.
Down at our rendezvous
(Down at our rendezvous)

I had forgotten that TV show.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm
John Stewart;

Come on down Miranda
Your window's open wide
Take a chance on a midnight dance
So I can see it in your eyes
I see it in your eyes

Come on down Miranda
Don't need to fix your hair
Shake the town with the windows down
Fly in the midnight air
Fly in the midnight air

There are dreams that fly in the midnight wind
Souls that cry in the midnight wind
Lovers who try in the midnight wind
You and I in the midnight wind

Come on down Miranda
You know your time has come
Beauty Queens come on so clean
But you're missing all the fun
Yeah you're missing all the fun

There are dreams that fly in the midnight wind
Souls that cry in the midnight wind
Lovers who try in the midnight wind
You and I in the midnight wind
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
Lovely, dys. Sorta gave me chill bumps for some reason.

and another wind song, listeners.

The wind is the whisper of our mother the earth
The wind is the hand of our father the sky
The wind watches over our struggles and pleasures
The wind is the goddess who first learned to fly

The wind is the bearer of bad and good tidings
The weaver of darkness, the bringer of dawn
The wind gives the rain, then builds us a rainbow
The wind is the singer who sang the first song

The wind is a twister of anger and warning
The wind brings the fragrance of freshly mown hay
The wind is a racer, a wild stallion running
The sweet taste of love on a slow summer's day

The wind knows the songs of the cities and canyons
The thunder of mountains, the roar of the sea
The wind is the taker and giver of mornings
The wind is the symbol of all that is free

So welcome the wind and the wisdom she offers
Follow her summons when she calls again
In your heart and your spirit let the breezes
surround you
Lift up your voice then and sing with the wind

Words and music by John Denver and Joe Henry
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:31 pm
COMING INTO LOS ANGELES

Words and Music by Arlo Guthrie

Coming in from London
From over the pole
Flying in a big airliner
Chickens flying everywhere around the plane
Could we ever feel much finer?

CHORUS:
Coming into Los Angeles
Bringing in a couple of keys
Don't touch my bags if you please
Mister Customs Man

There's a guy with a ticket to Mexico
No, he couldn't look much stranger
Walking in the hall with his things and all
Smiling, said he was the Lone Ranger

CHORUS

Hip woman walking on a moving floor
Tripping on the escalator
There's a man in the line
And she's blowing his mind
Thinking that he's already made her

CHORUS

Coming in from London
From over the pole
Flying in a big airliner
Chickens flying everywhere around the plane
Could we ever feel much finer?

CHORUS
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:34 pm
No Mercy
The Stranglers

Everyday you're working like a slave
Sweating buckets hoping that you get it right
Will it be as tough tomorrow?
Have to wait and see
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy

Everyday your love is getting warmer
Just look at her and love her did you get it right
Will she soothe your brow with kisses only meant for thee ?
She'll show no mercy
She'll show no mercy

And when you hold her close to you
Just when you're feeling good it's true
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy

Everybody has some secret wishes
Just keep your fingers crossed maybe they'll all come true
But don't worry if they just remain a fantasy
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy

Everybody seems the same all over
The search is on for love and comfort constantly
If it comes your way tomorrow count yourself lucky
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy

And when you hold her close to you
Just when you're feeling good it's true
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy
Life shows no mercy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:48 pm
Hey, edgar. That's one funny Arlo song, buddy. Chickens flying around in the plane? Can you imagine how that would be today? Thanks for those unusual lyrics.

dj, My gawd, Canada. Where in the world do you find those songs. Yikes, and by The Stranglers no less.

Well, folks, let's temper that mercy a bit, shall we?

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

Joe Zawinul, Cannonball Adderley

My baby, she may not look
Like one of those bunnies out of the Playboy book
Well, I'm sorry bout that, Mr. Williams
But she's got something,
Johnny, much greater than gold
Well, now what's that?
I'm crazy 'bout that girl,
she's got so much soul

She's got the kind of loving, kissin' and a-huggin'
Sure is mellow, glad that I'm her fellow
And I know that she knocks me off my feet
Have mercy on me!
'Cause she knocks me off my feet
Can you dig it?

There is no girl in the whole world
That can love me like you do - ow!
Tell 'em bout it, Watson

My baby now, when she walks by
All the fellows go '~~~', and I know why
Have mercy, just look at her walk
It's simply because that girl, she walks so fine
And if she ever leave me, I will lose my mind

Because she's got the kind of lovin',
kissin' and a-huggin'
Have mercy on me!
I'd better tell 'em one more thing

That can love me like you do
Ow, tell 'em bout it, Mr. Williams

Now everybody in my neighborhood
An' that's what's grooving me
Will testify that my girl, she looks so good
Well, let me tell you something else right here
She looks so fine, she give eyesight to the blind
Help 'em to make 'em see
And if she ever leave me, I will lose my mind

Because she's got the kind of lovin',
kissin' and a-huggin'
Have mercy on me!
Can you dig it?

That can love me like you do
Mercy, mercy, mercy!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:39 pm
My True Love
Jack Scott

I prayed to the Lord to send me a love
He sent me an angel from heaven above
The stars in the sky he placed in her eyes
She is my true love

The touch (my true love) of her hand (my true love)
Captured (my true love) my soul (my true love)
And the kiss (my true love) from her lips (my true love)
Set my heart (my true love) aglow (my true love)

And I know (my true love) from heaven (my true love)
From heaven (my true love) above (my true love)
Came my, my true love

SPOKEN:
Darling, I love you
I'll always be true
My prayers, they were answered
When the Lord sent me you

With, love and devotion
That I never knew
Until the Lord above sent me you
And I thank (my true love) the heavens (my true love)
The heavens above (my true love)
For sending my true love
(My true love)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:17 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

Well, it was one of those endless nights, I'm afraid, but a special thanks to edgar for his old fashioned love song.

Stumbled across this group while searching for something else, and I was taken with this song.

Tears for Fears

Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you
Acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on mother nature
Everybody wants to rule the world

It's my own design
It's my own remorse
Help me to decide
Help me make the most
Of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever

There's a room where the light won't find you
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do I'll be right behind you

So glad we've almost made it
So sad they had to fade it

I can't stand this indecision
Married with a lack of vision
Say that you'll never never never never need it
One headline why believe it ?

All for freedom and for pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever

It seems that Tears for Fears took their name from Janov's "primal fear" therapy designed to lead certain patients through recovery via the primal scream.

Ok, Munch. Guess we get it now.

http://www.rri.res.in/~srik/scream_3.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:20 am
Man And A Train
Marty Robbins lyrics

A man and a train, a train and a man
They both tried to run as far and as fast as they can
But a man's not a train and a trains not a man
A man can do things that a train never can

Going up a mountain even half way to the top
The minute that a train runs out of steam it's gotta stop
But it's a different story when a man runs out of steam
He still can go a long, long way on nothing but a dream

Going cross the country when a train runs out of track
It has to stop and turn around and then start heading back
But many miles from nowhere out where all the tracks are gone
A man who's got himself a dream can still keep going on

So don't try to stop me
Don't try to stop me cause nobody can
I've got a dream, a beautiful dream
And that makes me a man

No, don't try to stop me
Don't try to stop me cause nobody can
I've got a dream, a beautiful dream and that makes me
Makes me a man
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:29 am
Mornin', edgar. Marty wouldn't be too popular today with that big iron on his hip.

How about one from the man in black, folks.

Wanted man in California,
Wanted man in Buffalo
Wanted man in Kansas City,
Wanted man in Ohio

Wanted man in Mississippi,
Wanted man in ol' Cheyenne

Wherever you might look tonight you might see this wanted man

I might be in Colorado,
Or Georgia by the sea
Working for some man who may not know at all who I might be

If you ever see me coming and if you know who I am
Don't you breathe it to nobody 'cause you know I'm on the lamb