WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:43 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar's song is typical of Dylan. He is like an abstract painting and meant to be ambiguous as is Steely Dan.

Today is Friday 13th so let's listen to this one, folks.

When Black Friday comes
I'll stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor
When Black Friday comes
I'll collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road
When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
When Black Friday comes
I'll fly down to Muswellbrook
Gonna strike all the big red words
From my little black book
Gonna do just what I please
Gonna wear no socks and shoes
With nothing to do but feed
All the kangaroos
When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill
You know I will

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul
Gonna let the world pass by me
The Archbishop's gonna sanctify me
And if he don't come across
I'm gonna let it roll
When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim
I'll guess I'll change my name
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:32 am
Howard Keel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Harry Clifford Keel
Born April 13, 1919
Gillespie, Illinois, USA
Died November 7, 2004
Palm Desert, California, USA

Howard Keel, born Harry Clifford Keel (April 13, 1919 - November 7, 2004) was an American actor who starred in many of the classic film musicals of the 1950s.

Early years

Born in Gillespie, Illinois, to Navyman-turned-coalminer Homer Keel and his wife, Grace Osterkamp Keel, young Harry spent his childhood in poverty. After his father's death in 1930, he and his mother moved to California, where he graduated from high school at the age of 17 and took various odd-jobs until finally settling at Douglas Aircraft Company, where he became a traveling representative.

Career and personal Life

At the age of twenty, he was overheard singing by his landlady, Mom Rider, and was encouraged to take vocal lessons. One of his musical heroes was the great baritone Lawrence Tibbett and Howard would later say that finding out that his own voice was a basso cantante was one of the greatest disappointments of his life. Nevertheless, his first public performance came in the summer of 1941 when he played the role of Samuel the Prophet in Handel's oratorio Saul and David (singing a duet with bass-baritone George London).

Just a couple years after this, in 1943, Harold met and married his first wife, actress Rosemary Cooper. In 1945 Harold briefly understudied for John Raitt in the Broadway hit Carousel, before being assigned to Oklahoma! by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II. It was during this time, he accomplished a feat that has never been duplicated. He performed the leads in both shows on the same day.

In 1947, Oklahoma! became the first American musical to travel to London, England, and Harold went with it. Opening night at the Drury Lane Theatre, the capacity audience (which included the Queen) demanded fourteen encores. Harold Keel was hailed as the next great star and was the toast of the West End.

During the London run, the marriage of Harold and Rosemary ended in divorce, and Harold fell in love with a young member of the show's chorus, dancer Helen Anderson. They married in January 1949 and, a year later, Harold - now called Howard - became a father for the first time to daughter Kaija.

Additional Broadway credits include Saratoga, No Strings, and Ambasador. He appeared at The Muny in St. Louis, MO as General Waverly in White Christmas (2000), Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady (1996); Emile de Becque in South Pacific (1992), and Adam in Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1978).

MGM years

From London's West End, Howard ended up at MGM making his film musical debut as Frank Butler in Annie Get Your Gun.

Howard's MGM career was to be a frustrating business. MGM never seemed to know quite what to do with him and, outside of plum roles in the films Show Boat, Kiss Me, Kate and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, he was forced into a stream of worthless musicals and B-films. There were two more children born to Howard and Helen, daughter Kirstine in 1952 and son Gunnar in 1955. Soon after, Howard was released from his contract and returned to his first love, the stage.

1960s and early 1970s

Sadly, as America's taste in entertainment changed, finding jobs became harder and harder for Howard. The 1960s held little chance for career advancement with a round of nightclub work, b-Westerns and summer stock. Under the strain, Howard began to drink heavily and his marriage to Helen crumbled. They divorced in 1970.

But 1970 proved to be fortuitous for Howard after all. He was set up on a blind date with airline stewardess Judy Magamoll who was twenty-five years his junior and had never even heard of him. Years later Howard would say it was love at first sight, but the age difference bothered him tremendously. For Judy, however, it wasn't a problem and, with the aid of Robert Frost's poem "What Fifty Said", she convinced him to try the relationship. They were married in December 1970 and his drinking problem soon ceased. He resumed his routine of nightclub, cabaret and summer stock jobs with his new wife at his side, and, in 1972, appeared briefly on Broadway in the flop show Ambassador.

Then, in 1974 at the age of fifty-five, Howard became a father for the fourth time to daughter Leslie Grace.

"The Love Boat", "Dallas", and his revived career

Howard continued to tour, his wife and daughter in tow, but by 1980 he had had enough of struggling to find work and he moved his family to Oklahoma, intending to join an oil company. They had barely settled there when Howard was called back to California to appear with Jane Powell on an episode of The Love Boat. While he was there, he was told that the producers of the smash hit television series Dallas wanted to talk to him. After several cameo appearances, Howard joined the show permanently as the dignified, if hot tempered, oil baron Clayton Farlow and his career reached heights it had never seen before.

Recording career

With his renewed fame, Howard began his first solo recording career at age sixty-four, as well as a wildly successful concert career in the UK. He released an album in 1984 called "With Love", that sold poorly, thus indicating that though the American public were happy to see him as a supporting actor on hit TV show, they were not prepared for a full resumption of his previous stardom.

Even after Dallas he continued to sing, and kept his voice in remarkable shape. In 1994, he and Judy moved to Palm Desert, CA. The Keels were always active in charity events, helping their community and were well loved amongst the residents. In particular, Howard and Judy attended the annual Howard Keel Golf Classic at Mere Golf Club in Cheshire, England, which raised money for the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC). He attended for many years, up until the year of his death.

Death

Howard died at his home in Palm Desert on November 7, 2004, six weeks after being diagnosed with colon cancer. He is survived by Judy, his wife of thirty-four years, his four children, ten grandchildren and a great-granddaughter. He was cremated and his ashes scattered at various favorite places including Mere Golf Club, Liverpool John Lennon Airport, and in Tuscany, Italy.

Family

Howard Keel is the father of production director Leslie Keel and the grandfather of actors Mico Olmos and Bodie Olmos.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:50 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
Peabo Bryson

Background information

Birth name Robert Peabo Bryson
Born April 13, 1951 (age 56)
Origin Greenville, South Carolina
Genre(s) Soft Rock, Ballads,
Occupation(s) Vocalist

Peabo Bryson (born Robert Peabo Bryson on April 13, 1951) is an American R&B and soul singer, born in Greenville, South Carolina. He is well known for singing soft-rock ballads, often as a duo with female singers, and his contribution to several Disney animated feature soundtracks.

Bryson won a Grammy Award in 1992 for his performance of the song "Beauty and the Beast" with Céline Dion and another in 1993 for "A Whole New World" (Aladdin's Theme) with Regina Belle.

Peabo's greatest solo hits include 1978's "Feel The Fire" and "I'm So Into You" and the 1985 hit "If Ever You're In My Arms Again". In 1985, he appeared on the soap opera One Life to Live to sing a lyrical version of its theme song. Bryson's vocals were added to the regular theme song in 1987 and his voice was heard daily until 1992.

Among his duets:

"Beauty and the Beast", with Céline Dion
"Light The World", with Deborah Gibson
"The Gift", with Roberta Flack
"A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)", with Regina Belle
"Tonight I Celebrate My Love", with Roberta Flack
"The Best Part", with Nadia Gifford
"Lovers After All", with Melissa Manchester
"A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)", with J-pop artist Kumi Koda in 2006 for her album BEST ~second session~
"You Are My Home" (from The Scarlet Pimpernel) with Linda Eder
"By The Time This Night is Over" with Kenny G
Bryson has also performed in theater and operatic productions, most notably the tenor role of "Sportin' Life" in the Michigan Opera Theater of Detroit's version of Porgy and Bess.

His tax problems caught up with him on August 21, 2003, when the U.S. Internal Revenue Service seized property from his Atlanta, Georgia, home. He is reported to owe $1.2 million in taxes going back to 1984. The IRS auctioned much of his possessions, including both Grammy Awards, electronic equipment and grand piano. Plunkett, John. "Peabo Bryson's Grammys, other possessions, auctioned to pay $1.2 million tax debt", Jet Magazine, 2004-01-12. Retrieved on 2007-03-07.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:40 am
Rick Schroder

Birth name Richard Bartlett Schroder
Born April 13, 1970 (age 37)
Staten Island, New York
Other name(s) Rick Schroder
Spouse(s) Andrea Bernard
4 children
Official site Rick-Schroder.com
Notable roles T.J. Flynn in The Champ (1979)
Ricky Stratton in Silver Spoons
Det. Danny Sorenson in NYPD Blue
Mike Doyle in 24
Golden Globe Awards

New Star of the Year in a Motion Picture - Male
1980 The Champ

Richard Bartlett Schroder (born April 13, 1970 in Staten Island, New York) is a Golden Globe Award-winning actor who began his career as a child actor (then and currently credited as Ricky Schroder).

Biography

Early life and career

Schroder debuted in the 1979 remake of the movie The Champ, winning the Golden Globe Award for Best New Male Star of the Year in a Motion Picture at the age of nine. In the following year, he made a Walt Disney feature film called The Last Flight of Noah's Ark with Elliott Gould. Although Schroder's performance is generally recognized as good, the film bombed at the box office. He became well-known as the star of the television series Silver Spoons. As he grew older, he struggled to become known as a serious actor. He changed his name credit from Ricky to Rick and preferred to take roles which helped him to stretch as an actor.

On the January 9, 2007 edition of CNN's Larry King Live, Schroder announced he was changing his name back to Ricky. "You know, I was 18 or 19, my agents said, "You know, you should change your name to Rick. It'll help grow up from a kid to an adult." And I've learned the last 20 years it takes more than dropping a letter from your name to help you grow up. And so I'm more comfortable being called Ricky. And so I'm going back to Ricky. It is Ricky when I was a kid. And my wife, my mom, everybody calls me Ricky. So I'm going to let that -- Rick never felt right. I felt like I was trying to be something I wasn't."[1]

Career

Schroder's co-starring role in the Western mini-series Lonesome Dove and its sequel, Return to Lonesome Dove, helped Schroder's attempt to be recognised as a mature actor. Still, it came as a surprise to much of the public when he was chosen to act in the series NYPD Blue, notorious for its partial nude scenes.

Schroder only acted in NYPD Blue for three years, preferring to leave Hollywood with his family to live full-time on the family's ranch in Colorado. This ranch has since been put on the market for $29,000,000, and has apparently sold. He commuted to the set of Strong Medicine, whose cast he joined for a two-year contract starting in 2005, and appeared in films even as he built a log cabin on his ranch. Schroder also appeared in several episodes of the second season of the comedy series Scrubs as nurse Paul Flowers.

Starting in 2007, Schroder has become a recurring character on the hit FOX show 24 as CTU agent Mike Doyle.

In 2004, Schroder directed and starred in the music video for "Whiskey Lullaby", a song by Brad Paisley. This music video won an award.

Personal life

Schroder lives in Los Angeles, California with his wife, Andrea, and their four children. He is a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Political views

Schroder made an appearance on stage at the 2000 Republican National Convention, endorsing Presidential candidate George W. Bush. He is also a member of the National Rifle Association.

Trivia

Ranked #18 in VH1's list of the 100 Greatest Kid Stars.
Schroder has been playing chess since he was 7 years old and revealed that he and Kiefer Sutherland play chess on the set of 24.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:45 am
daffnitions...

Paradox: a couple of physicians.

Stalemate: your ex-husband.

Kleptomanica: the gift of grab

Hotel: a place where you trade dollars for quarters.

Europe: what the umpire calls when it's your turn at bat.

Privatize: Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, and Mike Hammer.

Snowplow: a mechanical device used to fill in the end of your driveway
as soon as you finish shoveling it.

Minimum: a very tiny mother from England.

Alimony: 'bye now, pay later.

Canadian bacon: a heat wave in Montreal
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:10 am
Thanks, Bob, for the background of the celebs. The definitions do indeed solicit a groan, hawkman. Thank you for the morning smile.

Hmmm. Don't know Peabo Bryson and I am really sorry to hear about his problems with the IRS.

Well, folks, until our pup appears we'll do a song by him. Really like this one, and was quite surprised to find that he did it.

When I fall in love it will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love
In a restless world like this is
Love is ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart [Oh let me give my heart]
And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
I feel that way too Is when I fall in love[ I fall in love] with you

When I fall in love it will be forever
Or I'll never fall in love
In a restless world like this is
Love has ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

When I give my heart it will be completely
Or I'll never give ,,,,my heart
[I'll never give,Oh let me give my heart]
And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love[ When I fall in love]
When I fall in love with you
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:20 am
Good morning.

I like paradox and stalemate, Bob. Very Happy

Faces to match:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/2/9/a/h29340m6var.jpghttp://www.emmys.tv/news/2005/september/images/adams2.jpg
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drg200/g232/g23242heog3.jpghttp://services.windowsmedia.com/dvdcover/cov150/drt100/t182/t18216u4peu.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors2/SchroederR66048105_150x200.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:37 am
Well, there she is with her fabulous faces, folks. Great quartet, Raggedy.

We're looking at Howard, Don, Peabo, (what a name), and Ricky.

Incidentally, PA. Lightwizard had no idea about that odd scene that I described with Jackie O and John. Ah, well. We'll find it eventually, I guess.

Breaking news:

Imus' wife: Stop hate mail to team
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer 8 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Don Imus' wife took over his radio fundraiser Friday after CBS fired the host for racist remarks about the Rutgers women's basketball team. She described her husband's meeting with the team, praised the women as "beautiful and courageous," and demanded that all hate mail being sent to the team stop.

"They gave us the opportunity to listen to what they had to say and why they're hurting and how awful this is," author Deirdre Imus said as she co-hosted the fundraiser for children's charities.

Hate e-mail? Sheeeeze.

Here's the rest of the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_on_en_ot/imus_protests
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 12:56 pm
Maybe the Jackie movie was made for TV, Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:42 pm
Well, Raggedy, I just got off the web doing a search. I think it was TV, and it may have been a regular show with varying episodes. Strange how one's imagination works, PA. I can see that scene as clearly as I can see our studio monitor. Many people claim that edetic memory is the same as photographic memory, but somewhere I read that it is more than that. The actual page in a book becomes visible to the one who possesses that talent, if indeed, it is a talent.

Speaking of memories, folks. How about a song along thoses lines.

The Lettermen

Verse 1:

D F#m
Faded photographs
Am B7
Covered now with lines and creases
Em C
Tickets torn in half
C#m7-5 F#
Memories in bits and pieces

Chorus 1:

Bm Bm7/A G#m7-5
Traces of love long ago
Gmaj7 Bbmaj9 Eb6
That didn't work out right
Em7 A7sus4 A7
Traces of love

Verse 2:

Ribbons from her hair
Souvenirs of days together
The ring she used to wear
Pages from an old love letter

Chorus 2:

Traces of love long ago
That didn't work out right
Em7 A7sus4 A7 D
Traces of love with me tonight

Bridge:

Bm F#m
I close my eyes
Bm F#m
And say a prayer
Bm F#m
That in her heart she'll find
G A
A trace of love still there
Bb
Somewhere

[key modulates to Eb]

Sax solo (verse chord pattern, in Eb):

Eb Gm Bbm C7
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
Fm Db Dm7-5 G7
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Chorus 3:

Cm Cm7/Bb Am7-5
Traces of hope in the night
Abmaj7 Bmaj9 E6
That she'll come back and dry
Fm7
These traces of tears
Bb7sus4 Bb7 Eb
From my eyes
Sorry, I couldn't find just the plain old lyrics
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
OH, SISTER

Music by Bob Dylan, Words by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy

Oh, sister, when I come to lie in your arms
You should not treat me like a stranger.
Our Father would not like the way that you act
And you must realize the danger.

Oh, sister, am I not a brother to you
And one deserving of affection?
And is our purpose not the same on this earth,
To love and follow His direction?

We grew up together
From the cradle to the grave
We died and were reborn
And then mysteriously saved.

Oh, sister, when I come to knock on your door,
Don't turn away, you'll create sorrow.
Time is an ocean but it ends at the shore
You may not see me tomorrow.

To me, the song does not seem particularly obscure. Dylan, a new Christian convert at the time, expresses the thought that men and women are brothers and sisters, as children of God the father. I think he alludes to the super feminist rejection of men in his plea.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
It was to me, edgar, as I don't possess the knowledge of Dylan's background that you do, Texas.

I do recall, however, that the Jesus movement swept through various singing groups, and here's one by the Doobie Brothers.

Jesus is just all right with me
Jesus is just all right, Oh yeah
Jesus is just all right

I don't care what they may know
I don't care where they may go
I don't care what they may know
Jesus is just all right, oh yeah
Jesus is just all right

I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Jesus is just all right, oh yeah
Jesus is just all right

Do, do, do, etc.

Jesus is just all right

Jesus is just all right

A bit repetitious, no?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:25 am
I may have posted this before, but it's one of my favorite biblical songs.

NOAH
Traditional
(Harry Belafonte / Attaway)

Brothers?
Yeah
Sisters?
Yeah
Says here in Genesis, one chapter one
In the beginning God made the earth
And also says here in Genesis, six chapter six
That the children of Israel were sinning, they were sinning
What did I say? They were sinning
That's exactly what I said
And when God saw them sinning
It hurt Him to his heart, it hurt Him so bad
It made Him mad, it made Him so mad he was angry
And when God got angry the sky turned dark
It was then that he told Noah to build the ark
Who built the ark, Noah
Who built the ark, Noah
Who built the ark, Noah, Noah
Noah built that ark
Children stop, listen to me
God walked down by the briny sea
Beheld evil of the sinful men
Declared that he would destroy the land
Spoke to Noah Brother Noah said "Hark".
He said look a here Noah I want you to build me an ark
Want you to build it big and strong
Build it 300 cubits long, 30 high, about 50 wide
I want it to stand my rain and tide
And on this day I make my mark
In a 100 years I want that ark
When I get thru with this evil land
Not a living thing is gonna stand
Except the things that I tell to you
That I'm gonna need , when the world is new
I've been east and I've been west
I decided to put this world at rest
I've been up and I've been down
Nothing but evil all around
I've seen brother turn against brother
I've decided it'll go no further
Women weep and children mourn
Sorry the day that man was born
Sinful people one by one
Sorry the day my wrath begun
`Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain
And on this land this dry land
Not a living thing is gonna stand
'Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain
`Cause it's gonna rain

Who built the ark? Noah. Yeah
Who built the ark? Noah. Yeah
Who built the ark? Noah Noah
Noah built the ark
Well after God told him what to do
Then the work began he cut and hewed
Ringing o´ the hammer was "judgment"
Ringing o´ the saw "God said repent"
100 years he hammered and sawed
Building the ark by the grace of God
After the foundation was laid
Heaved down the timber and the ark was made
Called in the animals two by two
There was the Ox, the Camel and the Kangaroo
Well it was the monkey and the crocodile
The little baby animal that couldn't smile
Packed them in the ark so tight
They all didn't get no sleep that night
Called in Japheth and Shem and Ham
God began to flood the land
Raised his hand to heaven on high
And knocked that sun and the moon from the sky
Shook the mountains and stirred the sea
Hitched his reins to his Chariot Wheel
Stepped on land and split out the shore
Declared it was time for to be no more
Cause it's gonna rain
Cause it's gonna rain
Cause it's gonna rain
Cause it's gonna rain
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:32 am
Great, edgar, and good morning to all.

I recall this short one from Sunday school.

Tell me who built the ark?
Noah, Noah
Who built the ark?
Brother Noah built the ark.

Brother Noah built himself an ark
He built it out of hickory bark

Tell me who built the ark?
Brother Noah built the are.

Bud always said,
Who built the ark.
I don't noah
Who built the ark?
I don't noah built the ark. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:42 am
Annie's Back In Town
Tom Waits
-----------------------------------------------
In the evening he stumbles home with his tie undone,
As the moon sweeps 7th avenue, as usual

You lie awake at night
You remember when
Now that Annie's back in town

Well I know why you're drinking
I know your alibi
So don't make excuses
Those are tears in your eyes
And you're falling back
In love
Again

Well it came down through the grapevine
It put your business on the street
I hear you've been hanging out till dawn
In some lunch room (somewhere)
Well you thought you've gotten over her
But that was till you found
That Annie's back in town

All the corner boys are all trouble-makers
And the sailors are all fools
Well it seems like some things round here
I guess they'll never change
Oh but it's always good for business
Guess we'll be seeing you around
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:01 am
Annie's back and according to Fats so is Lulu.

Lulu's Back In Town
Fats Waller
Al Dubin / Harry Warren

Gotta get my old tuxedo pressed, gotta sew a button on my vest,
'cause tonight I've gotta look my best, Lulu's back in town.

Gotta get a half a buck somewhere, gotta shine my shoes and slick my hair,
gotta get myself a boutonniere, Lulu's back in town.

You can tell all my pets, all my Harlem coquettes,
Mister Otis regrets, that he won't be aroun'.

You can tell the mailman not to call, I ain't comin' home until the fall
and I might not get back home at all... Lulu's back in town.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:03 am
Lulu backwards is Ulul - Spike Jones
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:52 am
Well, Texas, that was a fascinating bit of trivia.

Speaking of Spike, folks.......

Spike Jones
Song: Siam
Album: Louder & Funnier

You can look this wide world over,
You can search both land and sea,
but you'll never find another man like me.
If you listen to my story I will tell you who I am,
I'm the greatest man in Siam, yes I am.
There's no greater man in Siam than I am.
Oh, when I go walking by the women all give me the eye,
Oh no you ain't! Oh yes I am!
Why, I've got sixteen double chins,
I'm father of Siamese twins,

I'm the fastest man in Siam, yes I am.
There's no faster man in Siam than I am.
Lightning don't scare me a bit,
'Cause I can dodge before I'm hit.
When I call on my sweetheart,
I get there long before I'm start.
'Cause I'm the fastest man in Siam, yes I am.

I'm the richest man in Siam, yes I am.
There's no richer man in Siam than I am.
I wear diamonds on my nose,
and platinum toe nails on my toes.
Oh no you ain't! Oh, what's happening?
I've got castles filled with gold,
liquor 99 years old,
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:21 am
Anne Sullivan

Anne Sullivan, Annie Sullivan, or Johanna Mansfield Sullivan Macy, (April 14, 1866 - October 20, 1936) was a teacher best known as the tutor of Helen Keller.

Biography

Anne Sullivan was born in Feeding Hills, Massachusetts. Her parents, Thomas Sullivan and Alice Clohessy, were poor Irish cooks who left Ireland in 1847 because of the Irish Egg Famine. Sullivan's father was an alcoholic and sometimes abused her, but he also passed on to her Irish tradition and folklore. Her mother, suffering from tuberculosis, died when she was eight, and when she was ten, Annie, had to move in with a relative. Later her relatives left her and her brother at the Massachusetts State Infirmary in Tewksbury. Sullivan spent all her time with her younger, tuberculosis-striken brother in hopes that they would never be separated; however, Jimmie soon died in the infirmary.

When Sullivan was three she began having trouble with her eyesight; at age five, she contracted the eye disease trachoma, a bacterial disease that affects the eye and can often lead to blindness, because of the scar tissue it creates. Sullivan underwent a long string of operations in attempts to fix her eyesight. Doctors in Tewksbury had made a few attempts to clean her eyelids, but these procedures were not effective. Later, Father Barbara, a Catholic priest and the chaplain of the nearest hospital, set out to correct her condition; he arranged a procedure at the hospital for her eyes. The doctors attempted to numb her eyes with cocaine before the procedure. This operation failed to correct her vision and more attempts were made. Father Barbara took her to The Boston City Infirmary this time where she had two more operations. Even after this attempt her vision remained blurry and unchanged. After this, Sullivan then returned to Tewksbury, against her will. After four years there, in 1880, she entered the Perkins School for the Blind where she underwent surgery and regained some of her sight. After regaining her eyesight and graduating as class valedictorian in 1886, the director of the Perkins School for the Blind, Michael Anagnos, recommended her to teach Helen Keller.[1]

She taught Keller the names of things with the sign language alphabet signed into Keller's palm. In 1888, they went to the Perkins Institution together, then New York City's Wright-Humasen School, then the Cambridge School for Young Ladies, and finally to Radcliffe College. Keller graduated from Radcliffe in 1904 and after that, they moved together to Wrentham, Massachusetts, and lived on a benefactor's farm.

In 1905, Sullivan married a Harvard University professor, John A. Macy, who had helped Keller with her autobiography. Within a few years, their marriage began to disintegrate. By 1914 they separated, though they never officially divorced. Sullivan stayed with Keller at her home and joined her on tours. In 1935, she became completely blind. She died in Forest Hills, New York, on October 20, 1936
0 Replies