Words they only complicate the task

Make no more wishes
All of my patience has been spent
Gods of the season
Lead me to my next incident
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 06:08 am
Diane, Welcome back, honey. That song is intriguing. Who wrote it?

One of my favorite lines from a song, folks.

"...there's no love song finer, but how strange the change from major to minor..." Another memory, but not gray, simply tinged with blue.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:00 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:13 am
Chaka Khan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background information

Birth name Yvette Marie Stevens
Born March 23, 1953 (age 54)
Origin Great Lakes, Illinois
Genre(s) R&B, pop, jazz, funk music
Occupation(s) singer, songwriter
Years active 1970-1983 (with Rufus)
1978-present (solo)
Label(s) ABC (1972-1979)
MCA (1979-1980)
Warner Bros. (1978-1993)
Reprise (1993-1997)
NPG (1998-2000)
Burgundy (2005-present)
Associated
acts Rufus
Indira Khan

Website ChakaKhan.com

Chaka Khan (born Yvette Marie Stevens on March 23, 1953 in Great Lakes, Illinois) is an American singer best known for her 1984 cover of Prince's "I Feel For You", for her smash hit "I'm Every Woman" and as a member of the funk band Rufus, with whom she recorded the legendary soul record "Ain't Nobody". In her career she has earned many accolades, including eight Grammy awards. Though regarded an R&B singer, she has in fact explored numerous musical genres including funk, disco, jazz, ballads, hip hop, adult contemporary and pop standards.

Biography

Early life

Khan was raised on Chicago's South Side, and at the age of 11 formed her first group, the Crystalettes. While still in high school, she joined the Afro-Arts Theater, a group which toured with Motown great Mary Wells; a few years later, she adopted the African name "Chaka" while working as a volunteer on the Black Panthers' Free Breakfast for Children program. After quitting high school in 1969, Khan joined the group Lyfe, soon exiting to join another dance band, The Babysitters; neither was on the fast track to success, but her fortunes changed when she teamed with ex-American Breed member Kevin Murphy and Andre Fisher to form Rufus.

Life with Rufus

Debuting in 1973 with a self-titled effort on the ABC label, Rufus was among the pre-eminent funk groups of the decade; distinguished by Khan's dynamic vocals. With the help of Stevie Wonder, Rufus broke into both the pop music and R&B charts in 1974 with the hit "Tell Me Something Good". Throughout the 1970s and early 1980s, the band had a number of R&B hits, including "Tell Me Something Good", "Masterjam", "Sweet Thing", "Do You Love What You Feel?", and "Once You Get Started". The group earned half a dozen gold or platinum albums and two gold singles with "Tell Me Something Good" and "Sweet Thing" before she went solo in 1978.

Solo Stardom

In 1978, Khan recorded her highly-orchestrated Arif Mardin-produced disco smash hit "I'm Every Woman" (#1 R&B and #21 Pop, and a bigger Pop hit over a decade later for Whitney Houston), from the album Chaka. Chaka proved to be a significant hit on the strength of the single (which was composed by Ashford & Simpson) however, Khan's success was somewhat tempered by her public rivalry with the remaining members of Rufus, to whom she was contractually bound for two more LPs.

As a solo artist, Khan recorded backing vocals for Ry Cooder's 1979 effort "Bop Till You Drop," then cut her sophomore album, 1980's Naughty, a minor hit on the R&B charts, which featured 'Clouds' (also by Ashford & Simpson), 'Move Me No Mountain', and other songs that displayed Chaka's range as a singer. The 'Naughty' album also featured Luther Vandross, Cissy Houston, and a young Whitney Houston singing background vocals.

Her next album, What Cha' Gonna Do for Me ?, was a gold seller and included at least two hit singles on Billboard's R&B Singles chart, including the title song (which topped the R&B chart and made #53 Pop). Chaka's 'Night In Tunisia (The Melody Remains The Same)' is also a timeless classic (featuring Dizzy Gillespie & Herbie Hancock) from the album, which has Chaka hitting 'notes that aren't in the book' (according to her legendary producer Arif Mardin).

In 1982, Warner Brothers released the Arif Mardin produced 'Chaka Khan' album. This album featured the single 'Tearin It Up', as well as Chaka's reading of Michael Jackson's 'Got To Be There'. 'Slow Dancin' (a duet with the late Rick James) was also featured, but her 'Be Bop Medley' won the Diva a Grammy Award, as well as praise from jazz legend Betty Carter, who praised Chaka for her improvisational skills. 'Chaka Khan' was critically acclaimed, but it was not the huge hit that Warner Brothers wanted. The CD edition of 'Chaka Khan' is a rare collector's item because Warner Brothers refuses to release it in the United States. Fans can expect to pay almost $100.00 for mint CDs imported from Japan.

A jazz experiment

In 1982, Khan recorded Echoes Of An Era, a collection of jazz standards featuring performances from Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea and Lenny White. 1983 saw Khan return to Rufus to record her last contractually obligated album Stompin' At The Savoy: Live. The double album contained live versions of Rufus classics, Khan's solo hits and a handful of newly recorded tracks. One of these was the hit "Ain't Nobody," which returned Khan to the top of the urban and top 40 charts (#22 Pop). To make room for the new studio tracks, Warner Brothers omitted live versions of "Everlasting Love" (which was released on the rare 1983 soundtrack to Night Shift), "The Best Of Your Heart" and "Hollywood".

Hip hop phenomenon

Her pop career was on shaky ground when she released 1984's I Feel For You, a platinum-seller launched by its title cut, a Grammy-winning, hip hop-based rendition of a fairly obscure Prince album track with a cameo appearance by Stevie Wonder on harmonica and rap by Melle Mel, which launched her recording career back into full gear. Produced by David Foster, the popular ballad "Through The Fire" also reached the R&B top ten, setting a record (since broken) for spending the most consecutive weeks on the Billboard R&B chart, made #60 Pop during a 19-week run on the Hot 100, and crossed over to the adult contemporary chart. "Through The Fire" has since been sampled by Kanye West for his hit single "Through The Wire". Chaka also recorded 'Krush Groove (Can't Stop The Street)' for the movie Krush Groove in 1985.

1990s to now

Still, while subsequent LPs like 1986's Destiny and 1988's C.K. kept Khan high on the R&B charts, her standing in pop's mainstream again began to wane, and by the end of the 1980s she had moved to Europe. Not forgotten back in America, in 1990, she won another Grammy for "I'll Be Good To You," a duet with Ray Charles and another #1 R&B and Top 20 Pop hit.

In 1992, Khan released her album The Woman I Am, for which she received a Grammy award for best Rhythm & Blues vocal performance. The album's hit single "Love You All My Lifetime" was penned by German songwriter duo Irmgard Klarmann and Felix Weber and was produced by David Gamson. According to the Chaka's World Website, Khan recorded a follow up album Dare You To Love Me which was to be released in 1995. Warner Brothers shelved the project (although several of the tracks appeared on a career retropsective titled Epiphany: The Very Best of Chaka Khan and soundtracks such as To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar and Waiting To Exhale (singing the standard "My Funny Valentine").

Khan soon left Warner Brothers because of a lack of promotion[citation needed] and after the label had decided to release the Epiphany compilation instead of Dare You To Love Me in its true form[citation needed]. Prince (who also feuded with the company) assisted Khan in leaving Warner Brothers. Khan eventually made a special agreement with "The Artist" (who was then only formerly known as Prince), and recorded her next album on his New Power Generation label.

The Prince-produced Come 2 My House appeared in 1998, and went gold[citation needed] despite little or no promotion. Khan also appeared on new CDs by Prince and Larry Graham for the New Power Generation Label, and toured in support for the projects. In 2001, Khan sang on De La Soul's hit song "All Good?". In 2002 she was an integral part of the documentary about Motown studio musicians The Funk Brothers, Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, which she performed the classic R&B songs "What's Going On?" (she won her 8th Grammy Award for this performance) and the last live song performed in the film, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (a duet with Montell Jordan).

In October 2004, Khan released her cover album ClassiKhan by her own label Earth Song Records and Sanctuary Records. An album of standards featuring the London Symphony Orchestra and recorded primarily at Abbey Road Studios in London. The entire album was Produced by Eve Nelson of Nelson-O'Reilly Productions who also conducted the London Symphony Orchestra.

On December 3, 2004, she received an honorary doctorate degree from Berklee College of Music. She is also active in the autism community as she has family members who have been diagnosed. Her EarthSong Entertainment and Chaka Khan Foundation operate from Beverly Hills, California. She continues to record and perform with her distinctive and powerful voice.

Recent

In early 2006, she signed with Sony BMG's new label Burgundy Records to release her upcoming studio cover album set I-Khan Divas in 2007. Also, Khan, who has recently embraced Christianity, participated in a live all-star gospel concert recording for artist Richard Smallwood's new album Journey: Live In New York. Khan is featured on the song "Holy Is Your Name." [1]

On February 11, 2007 Khan headlined and performed at the NARAS 2007 Grammy Award official post party held immediately after the event at the Los Angeles convention center.

Miscellany

On her official website, Khan credits singer Karen Clark Sheard with being "the voice that helped me find the Holy Ghost". She performed a live cover of Sheard's "A Secret Place" along with Richard Smallwood on TBN's popular show Praise The Lord in October 2006.
She was only 20 when she joined Rufus.
She showcased her vocal talents as the choir soloist in the 1980 film The Blues Brothers.
Featured on Rick Wakeman's album 1984.
Featured on Stevie Winwood's "Higher Love". Khan sang and produced the background vocals.
According to the 'Chaka's World' website, Chaka was originally scheduled to duet on Tom Browne's hit "Funkin' For Jamaica" and Dennis Edwards' hit "Don't Look Any Further" (which he went on to perform with Siedah Garrett). She also recorded the song "Addicted to Love" with Robert Palmer. Her vocals were later removed after her management refused to allow its release.
Although she sang at both the 2000 Democratic and Republican conventions, Khan says that she is more of a "Democratic-minded person." [2]
Good friends with The Bee Gees.
Recorded the newest version of the Reading Rainbow theme song. Episodes recorded from 2000 bear her version.
Favorite rapper is Busta Rhymes.
Yummy Bingham is her goddaughter.
In an episode of Shooting Stars Khan was named as an artist whose name sounded like an animal noise
Chaka Khan and Doctor Khan of International Immigration Advisory Services have never been seen in the same place at the same time. It is suspected that they may be the same person although nobody really knows for certain.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:20 am
A woman visited a psychic
In a dark and gloomy room, gazing at the Tarot cards laid out before
her, the Tarot reader delivered the bad news. "There is no easy way to say this so I'll just be blunt, prepare yourself to be a widow. Your husband will die a violent and horrible death this year."
Visibly shaken, the woman stared at the psychic's lined face, then at
the single flickering candle, then down at her hands. She took a few deep
breaths to compose herself. She simply had to know. She met the Tarot
reader's gaze, steadied her voice, and asked: "Will I get away with it?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
Good morning WA2K. I can always count on Bob to cheer me up in the morning. Laughing It's a gloomy rainy one in PA.

Faces to match:

http://images.allposters.com/images/mmph/243998.jpg http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/images/Article_Akira.jpg
http://www.herbiehancock.com/photos/on_tour/hh39.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:28 am
Glad to see our hawkman back again. Thanks, BostonBob for the celeb background. I didn't know anyone there except Joan Crawford. Loved your psychic funny, honey. As Raggedy observed, we always get a smile even when times are "dysappointing." Crying or Very sad

Hey, there's our pretty pup with faces of an era. Thanks, PA. I guess the black and whites are Akira and the pink, Chaka. Need to check out the songs by her as I am always interested in things that I don't know.

Here's one, folks, that I like by Miss Chaka

THROUGH THE FIRE (Chaka Kahn)

I look in your eyes and I can see
You've loved so dangerously
You're not trusting your heart to anyone...
You tell me you're gonna play it smart
We're through before we start
But I believe that we've only just begun

When it's this good there's no saying no
I want you so I'm ready to go

Through the fire, to the limit, to the wall
For just to be with you I'd gladly risk it all
Through the fire, through whatever come what may
For a chance at loving you, I'd take it all the way...
Right down to the wire, even through the fire

I know you're afraid of what you feel
Your still need time to heal
And I could help if you'll only let me try
You touched me and something in me knew
What I could have with you,
Now I'm not ready to say goodbye

When it's this good there's no saying no
I need you so I'm ready to go
Through the fire, to the limit, to the wall
For just to be with you I'd gladly risk it all
Through the fire, through whatever come what may
For a chance at loving you, I'd take it all the way...
Right down to the wire, even through the fire
Through the fire, to the limit, through the fire, through whatever
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:20 pm
The man in the sunglasses is Akira Kurosawa. The stills above him are clips from some of his films. I recognized Toshiro Mifune who starred in The Seven Samurai. We copied the film idea to make The Magnificent Seven.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:00 pm
Thanks, Bob. Here is a reminder of both, folks.

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Seven-Samurai-Poster-C10126117.jpeg

http://www.suspense-movies.com/images/film1/Sturges3.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:50 pm
I Am...I Said
Neil Diamond

LA's fine the sun shines most of the time
And the feeling is laid back
Palm trees grow and rents are low
But'cha know I keep thinking about
Makin my way back
We'll I'm New York City born and rasied
But now a days I'm lost between two shores
LA's fine but it ain't home
New York's home but it ain't mine no more

I am, I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
I am I cried
I am, said I
And I am lost and I can't even say why
Leaving me lonely still

Did you ever read about a frog
Who dreamed of being a king
And then became one
Well except for the names and a few other changes
If you talk about me
The stories the same one
But I've got a emptyness deep inside
And I tried but it wont let me go
And I'm not a man who likes to swear
But I never cared for the sound of being alone

I am, I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
I am, I cried
I am, said I
And I am lost and I can't even say why
I am, said I
I am, I cried
I am
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:11 pm
for some reason seeing that song made me think of this

I Palindrome I
They Might Be Giants

Someday mother will die and I'll get the money
Mom leans down and says, "My sentiments exactly,
You son of a bitch"
I palindrome I (I palindrome I)
And I am a snake head eating (snake head)
The head on the opposite side (snake head)
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)

See that bulletproof dress hanging from the clothesline
See the medical chart with the random zig-zag
Now I'll help it decide
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)

"Son I am able," she said "though you scare me."
"Watch," said I
"Beloved," I said "watch me scare you though." said she,
"Able am I, Son."

See the spring of the grandfather clock unwinding
(Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age)
See the hands of my offspring making windmills
(Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age)
Dad palindrome Dad
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)
I palindrome I (manonam)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:13 pm
I BELIEVE IN YOU

Words and Music by Bob Dylan

They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through.
And they, they look at me and frown,
They'd like to drive me from this town,
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter,
I believe in you even though we be apart.
I believe in you even on the morning after.
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far,
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed.
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer,
I believe in you when white turn to black,
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered.
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:31 pm
it was sixty years ago today

june will mark the 40th anniversary of sgt. pepper

a couple of selections from the disc

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
(Lennon/McCartney)

It was twenty years ago today,
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you
The act you've known for all these years,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
We hope you will enjoy the show,
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
Sit back and let the evening go.
Sgt. Pepper's lonely, Sgt. Pepper's lonely,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
It's wonderful to be here,
It's certainly a thrill.
You're such a lovely audience,
We'd like to take you home with us,
We'd love to take you home.
I don't really want to stop the show,
But I thought that you might like to know,
That the singer's going to sing a song,
And he wants you all to sing along.
So let me introduce to you
The one and only Billy Shears
And Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

A Little Help From My Friends
(Lennon/McCartney)

A little help from my friends
What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
I get by with a little help from my friends,
I get high with a little help from my friends,
Going to try with a little help from my friends.
What do I do when my love is away.
(Does it worry you to be alone)
How do I feel by the end of the day
(Are you sad because you're on your own)
No I get by with a little help from my friends,
Do you need anybody,
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.
Would you believe in a love at first sight,
Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.
What do you see when you turn out the light,
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Do you need anybody,
I just need somebody to love,
Could it be anybody,
I want somebody to love.
I get by with a little help from my friends,
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
With a little help from my friends.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
(Lennon/McCartney)

We're Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We hope you have enjoyed the show
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We're sorry but it's time to go.
Sergeant Pepper's lonely.
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We'd like to thank you once again
Sergeant Pepper's one and only Lonely Hearts Club Band
It's getting very near the end
Sergeant Pepper's lonely
Sergeant Pepper's lonely
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

A Day in the Life
(Lennon/McCartney)

I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph.
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.
I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on
Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream
I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:47 pm
One of my fave fab albums, djjd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
The Scorpion Departs but Never Returns
By Phil Ochs

Am
Sailors climb the tree, up the terrible tree
G
Where are my shipmates have they sunk beneath the sea?
Am
I do not know much, but I know this cannot be
G F
It isn't really, it isn't really,
E
Tell me it isn't really.

Sounding bell is diving down the water green
Not a trace, not a toothbrush, not a cigarette was seen
Bubble ball is rising from a whisper or a scream
But I'm not screaming, no I'm not screaming,
Tell me I'm not screaming.

C Bb
Captain will not say how long we must remain
C Am Dm7
The phantom ship forever sail the sea
E
It's all the same.

Captain my dear Captain we're staying down so long
I have been a good man, I've done nobody wrong
Have we left our ladies for the lyrics of a song?
That I'm not singing, I'm not singing
Tell me I'm not singing

The schooner ship is sliding across the kitchen sink
My son and my daughter they won't know what to think
The crew has turned to voting and the officers to drink
But I'm not drinking, no I'm not drinking
Tell me I'm not drinking

It's all the same.

The radio is begging them to come back to the shore
All will be forgiven, it'll be just like before
All you've ever wanted will be waiting by your door
We will forgive you, we will forgive you
Tell me we will forgive you

But no one gives an answer not even one goodbye
Oh, the silence of their sinking is all that they reply
Some have chosen to decay and other chose to die
But I'm not dying, no I'm not dying
Tell me I'm not dying

It's all the same.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:53 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors. It seems that last evening was dj and edgar night. Great songs, guys, and thanks so much. I especially enjoyed the Palindrome by They Might be Giants and edgar's scorpion song as that is my sign.

As to sgt. Pepper, I went to the archives to search out George Harrison and found a lot of info that I didn't know. That's the great part of our wee cyber radio.

How about a song from George this morning, and one that is quite apt as there are only two Beatles left to play.

I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know why nobody told you how to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you.

I look at the world and I notice it's turning
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps
I dont know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I dont know how you were inverted
No one alerted you.

I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
Look at you all . . .
Still my guitar gently weeps.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 06:10 am
Cross Patch
Fats Waller

Cross patch how can anyone be so cross
Won't you tumble off your high horse
You know you love to be loved

Cross patch, if you feel the wind change
They say it will make your face stay that way
And then you'll never be loved
Cultivate a smile sweet and sunny
You can catch a fly with honey
You're actin so spoiled
Shame, shame, everybody knows your name

Cross patch don't you know it takes two to fight
Won't you kiss and make up tonight
You know you love to be loved
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 06:26 am
Ah, edgar, dear, dear Fats. I like that song, Texas, and it reminds me of this weird rhyme:

Cross patch,
Draw the latch,
Sit by the fire and spin.
Take a cup and drink it up,
Then call your neighbors in.

Wonder what that means.

It seems, listeners, that they are digging up poor Houdini to determine if he were poisoned by his enemies whom he debunked as charlatans. That bit of news leads me to this poem.

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water'd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil'd the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree.

-- William Blake
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:11 am
Norman Fell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norman Fell (born Norman Feld March 24, 1924 - December 14, 1998) was a Golden Globe award-winning American film and television actor most famous for his role as landlord Mr. Roper on the popular sitcom Three's Company and its spin-off, The Ropers.

Fell was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and studied drama at Temple University after serving as a tail gunner in the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. Though he mostly acted on television, he also had small character roles in several motion pictures including Ocean's Eleven (1960), It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), The Graduate (1967), in which he also played a landlord, Bullitt (1968), and Catch-22 (1970). He appeared alongside Ronald Reagan in Reagan's last film, The Killers (1964).

He received his Golden Globe Award in 1979, for Best TV Actor in a Supporting Role, for Three's Company. He was also nominated for an Emmy Award, but not for Three's Company, but rather for his dramatic performance in the miniseries Rich Man, Poor Man, in which he played Nick Nolte's character's boxing trainer.

His final television appearance was in a cameo as Mr. Roper on an episode of the sitcom Ellen in 1997.

Norman Fell died of cancer at the age of 74 in Los Angeles, California, and was interred there at the Mount Sinai Memorial Park Cemetery.
0 Replies