There's a chance
That we may fall apart before too long
We can work it out
We can work it out
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:20 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

edgar, thanks for the fab four song. That one is quite familiar, but here is one that isn't.(to me, anyway)

The Dandy Warhols?

Good Morning

In my good good morning
I'm up before the sun can bring,
early morning, and everyone
like a shiny thing.

All my angels appear
before my window saying
";good morning";
in my good morning

In my good, good morning
I feel before my thoughts all spring.
Am I conscious or
is this my unconscious being
No more like a dream than a
God before my conscious saying
";Good morning"; in my good morning?

In my good, good morning
I'm up before the sun can bring,
Early morining, and Everyone like a shiny
thing.
No more like a dream, then a God before
my conscious saying
";Good Morning"; In my good morning

Confused
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:22 am
Good morning WA2K.

Wishing a Happy 67th to Timothy Dalton; 45th to Matthew Broderick and 45th to Rosie O'Donnell.

http://img.search.com/thumb/1/10/Tdalton_007.jpg/200px-Tdalton_007.jpghttp://www.comedycentral.com/images/ccmovies/people/headshots/b/Broderick_Matthew.jpghttp://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/dailydish/2006/12/21/mn_0_tv_o_donnell_ny200x308.jpg

and a Good Day to all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
Well, folks, there's our pretty pup with photo's. Thanks PA.

We're looking at Timothy Dalton, aka, Bond, James Bond. Matthew of Ladyhawke, and the ever controversial Rosie. I loved the movie Ladyhawke, incidentally.

Speaking of hawkes, where is our biobob? Now I am getting a bit concerned.

From Timothy's Bond film.....

A-Ha

Hey driver, where're we going
I swear my nerves are showing
Set your hopes up way too high
The living's in the way we die

Comes the morning and the headlights fade away
Hundred thousand people...I'm the one they blame
I've been waiting long for one of us to say
Save the darkness, let it never fade away
In the living daylights

All right, hold on tight now
It's down, down to the wire
Set your hopes up way too high
The living's in the way we die

Comes the morning and the headlights fade in rain
Hundred thousand changes...everything's the same
I've been waiting long for one of us to say
Save the darkness, let it never fade away
In the living daylights

Comes the morning and the headlights fade away
Hundred thousand people...I'm the one they frame
In the living daylights
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:32 am
Timothy Dalton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Timothy Peter Dalton
Born March 21, 1946 (age 61)
Colwyn Bay, Wales
Official site http://www.timothydalton.com/
Notable roles King Philip II of France
Prince Barin
Edward Rochester
James Bond
Neville Sinclair
Rhett Butler
Julius Caesar
Lord Asriel
Simon Skinner

Timothy Peter Dalton (born March 21, 1946[1]) is a Welsh born English actor of stage and screen, best known for portraying James Bond in The Living Daylights (1987) and Licence to Kill (1989).

Biography

Youth and early career

Born in Colwyn Bay, Wales, to an English father and an American mother, Timothy Dalton is of mixed English and Italian-Irish ancestry. Before he was born, his family moved to Wales; where his father was stationed during World War II. During the late 1940s, as he was reaching four years old, the family moved to Belper, Derbyshire in England. He became interested in acting in his teenage years, and left school in 1964 to enroll in the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and tour with the National Youth Theatre in the summer. Dalton did not complete his RADA studies, leaving the academy in 1966 to join the ensemble of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre. He quickly moved to television, working mainly with BBC and, in 1968, made his film debut in The Lion in Winter, the first of several period dramas.

After a few more films, Dalton took a break in 1971 to concentrate on the theatre, performing with the Royal Shakespeare Company and other troupes throughout the world. With the exception of the 1975 film Permission to Kill, he remained a theatre actor until 1978. That year he starred in Sextette, hailing his return to cinema and the beginning of his American career. While in the United States, Dalton worked mainly in television, although he starred in several European films and gave notable performances for the BBC.

James Bond (1987-1994)

In 1986, after Roger Moore's retirement from the role of James Bond, the lean, 6'2" green-eyed Dalton was the first choice to replace Roger Moore, but obligations to the film Brenda Starr and the stage productions of Antony & Cleopatra and The Taming of The Shrew kept him from accepting the role. Sam Neill was then screen-tested for the part of Bond, but was ultimately rejected by Albert Broccoli. Pierce Brosnan was then approached for the role, but was forced by NBC to turn it down (after initially accepting it) because of his commitment to the television revival of Remington Steele. In the ensuing time, Dalton had completed the filming of Brenda Starr and was now able to accept the role of James Bond.

Previously, Dalton had been considered as a replacement for Sean Connery when Connery left the role and offered the role of James Bond four times. In 1968, he was asked to play Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969), Sean Connery having decided that You Only Live Twice (1967) would be his last Bond film. Dalton turned the offer down, feeling he was too young for the role, and because of what he felt was an imposing legacy left behind by Connery; the role finally went to George Lazenby. During the late 1970s, he was approached again, but he did not favour the direction the movies were taking. As he explained, his idea of Bond was different.[2]. Dalton was also asked to star in For Your Eyes Only (1981), and the producers also considered him for the role in Octopussy (1983), but they finally re-contracted Roger Moore (see Octopussy).

Dalton's first outing as 007, The Living Daylights (1987) was successful, and grossed more than the previous two Bond films with Roger Moore, as well as contemporary box-office rivals such as Die Hard and Lethal Weapon. However, his second film, Licence to Kill (1989), did not perform as well at the US box office, in large part due to a lackluster marketing campaign, after the title of the film was abruptly changed from 'Licence Revoked'.

Since Dalton was contracted to do three Bond movies,[3] the pre-production of his third film began in 1990, in order to be released in 1991. It was rumored that he would make The Property of a Lady (which is one of Ian Fleming's short stories), but this was never confirmed. What was confirmed is that the story would deal with the destruction of a chemical weapons laboratory in Scotland, and the events would take place in London, Tokyo and Hong Kong. However, the film was canceled due to legal issues between UA/MGM and EON that ran for around 4 years.[4]

In 1993, the legal battle was over, and Timothy Dalton was expected to return as James Bond (although his contract had been expired, negotiations with him to renew it were being held); the next Bond movie became Goldeneye.[5]. In an interview with the Daily Mail in August of that year, Dalton indicated that Michael France was writing the story of the new movie, and the production was to begin in January or February 1994..[6]. When the deadline was not met, Dalton surprised everyone on the 12th of April 1994 (during the time he was shooting the mini-series Scarlett) that he would not return as James Bond. In taking that decision, he exercised the option that his contract had already expired. Two months later, it was announced that Pierce Brosnan is the new James Bond.

Timothy Dalton's assertion that Michael France was writing the new film proved correct. Working closely with the Broccolis and Wilson, France had created a first draft screenplay named after Ian Fleming's house in Jamaica, GoldenEye. The first draft had been written with Dalton in mind and, when Brosnan came on board, it was rewritten by British writer Jeffrey Caine who retained a lot of France's original ideas (involving Bond's relationship with the traitorous 006, Alec Trevelyan) but added new angles to the piece - it was Caine who added the prologue that opens the finished film. A third writer, Kevin Wade, was brought in to polish the script, followed by final tinkering by Bruce Feirstein, a friend of Barbara Broccoli and her husband Fred Zollo (see GoldenEye for full details). Dalton reflects (in 2007) on the (retrospective) possibility of appearing as James Bond for a third time: "I was supposed to make one more but it was cancelled because MGM and the film's producers got into a law suit which lasted for five years. After that, I didn't want to do it anymore."[7]

Compared to Moore, Dalton's portrayal of Bond was darker, more grittily realistic and truer to the original character as portrayed in Fleming's novels. He also came across as a reluctant agent who did always not enjoy the assignments he was given. In The Living Daylights he tells a critical colleague: "Tell M what you want. If he fires me, I'll thank him for it." In Licence to Kill, he quits the secret service in order to pursue his own agenda.

This was something of a double-edged sword. Critics and fans of Fleming's original novels welcomed a more serious interpretation after more than a decade of Roger Moore's lighthearted approach.[8] However, the reaction of Moore aficionados and those who had grown up with Moore as their Bond during his 12-year tenure (as well as Sean Connery before) was mixed, as most of them were generally unfamiliar with Ian Fleming's original novels, while Desmond Llewelyn, who played gadget master Q, stated that he favoured Dalton's performance for being closer to Fleming's original novels.[citation needed] Dalton's serious interpretation was not only in portraying the character, but also in performing most of the stunts of the action scenes by himself, with the assistance of stunt coordinator Jonas Carp.[9]

The Post Bond Era

After his Bond films, Dalton divided his professional career work between, stage and television and films; where he diversified the characters he played. This helped him to eliminate the 007 typacasting that followed him during the previous period. For example, he played Rhett Butler in Scarlett, the television mini-series sequel to Gone with the Wind. During the second half of the 1990s, he starred in several cable movies; most notably the IRA drama The Informant and the action thriller Made Men. He also played Julius Ceasar in the 1999 TV movie Cleopatra. In 2003, he played a parody of James Bond named Damian Drake in the film Looney Tunes: Back in Action. At the end of that year and the beginning of 2004, he returned to theatre to play Lord Asriel in the stage version of His Dark Materials (the same character is played in the 2007 movie version by one of Dalton's successors in the James Bond role; Daniel Craig). In 2007, Dalton appeared in the acclaimed action/comedy movie Hot Fuzz, his most prominent appearance in mainstream cinema for several years.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
Gary Oldman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Leonard Gary Oldman
Born March 21, 1958 (48 years old)
New Cross, London, England
Spouse(s) Lesley Manville (1988-1990)
Uma Thurman (1990-1992)
Donya Fiorentino (1997-2001)

Gary Oldman (born Leonard Gary Oldman on March 21, 1958 in New Cross, London, England) is an English actor.

After being rejected for admission into Britain's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, he won a scholarship to the Rose Bruford College, where he received a BA in Drama in 1979. He later studied with the Greenwich Young People's Theatre and went on to appear in a number of stage plays including The Pope's Wedding, for which he received Time Out's Fringe Award for Best Newcomer of 1985 - 1986 and the British Theatre Association's Drama Magazine Award as Best Actor of 1985.

Oldman first appeared on screen in the film Remembrance in 1982, going on to win his first starring role in Sid and Nancy (1986), in which he played the Sex Pistols' ill-fated bassist Sid Vicious. He has become known for playing eccentrics and for his mastery of accents. He has played a variety of famous characters including Dracula, Ludwig van Beethoven, Lee Harvey Oswald, James Gordon, Dr. Zachary Smith, Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz, Sirius Black, Pontius Pilate, and the Devil. He has played many villains, including a vampire (Bram Stoker's Dracula), a pimp (True Romance), a disfigured paedophile (Hannibal), a futuristic megacorp tyrant (The Fifth Element), a corrupt DEA officer (Léon), a sadistic prison warden (Murder in the First), the Russian terrorist leader Ivan Korshunov (Air Force One), a president-murderer (JFK), and a violent football hooligan (The Firm).

In 1997, he directed, produced, and wrote Nil by Mouth, partially based on his life, which went on to win the Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film, a BAFTA Award (shared with Douglas Urbanski) and also the British Academy Award for Best Screenplay, the Channel 4 Director's Award, and the Empire Award, and was declared by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts as one of the one hundred best films of all time. Recently Nil By Mouth was listed by Time Out as number two of the top fifty best British films ever.

Oldman has been married three times: to Lesley Manville (1988 - 1990), Uma Thurman (1990 - 1992), and Donya Fiorentino (1997 - 2001). He also has three sons, Alfred (b. 1988) by Manville, and Gulliver Flynn (b. 1997) and Charlie John (b. 1999) by Fiorentino. He was granted sole legal and physical custody of his sons with Fiorentino.

Oldman and producing partner Douglas Urbanski formed the SE8 GROUP to produce Nil By Mouth. The company also produced The Contender, which also starred Oldman. Gary Oldman has currently finished his latest screenplay, Chang & Eng, based on the novel by Darin Strauss, which SE8 Group will produce.

In September 2006 Nokia Nseries Studio released the Oldman directed short "Donut" (MPEG-4, 320x240 pixel, 23 MB) with music by Tor Hyams. The film was shot with an N93 in order to promote the phone.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:54 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 09:59 am
UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

1. Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water?
Try spelling Evian backwards: NAIVE

2. Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?

3. If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...does that mean that one enjoys it?

4. If people from Poland are called Poles, then why aren't people from Holland called Holes?

5. Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?

8. If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

9. Why do croutons come in airtight packages?
Aren't they just stale bread to begin with?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:29 am
Well, thank goodness, folks. The hawk has returned- a great comparison to the eagle has landed.

Thanks, bioBob for the informative background. Lots of stuff in there we didn't know, especially about Gary and Rosie.

Loved your one liner questions, especially the one about the pig. Isn't this the year of the pig?

Hmmm. Anyone remember this? "The best way to win is not to play." Still good advice for some, right?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Now my explanation.

In the cult 1983 film WarGames tic-tac-toe is used as an allegory for nuclear war. In the film a computer hacker (Matthew Broderick) in the cold war era breaks into the missile defense computer WOPR designed to orchestrate nuclear war against Russia. In the process, he inadvertently triggers the system into "DEFCON 1" mode, whereby the computer arms its missiles in preparation for launch. The hacker eventually influences the computer to play tic-tac-toe against itself, whereby the computer determines that neither side can win - an analogy to full scale nuclear war which was made explicit when the computer then fails to find a winning stratagem for a nuclear strike.

Wargames

Album: UNKNOWN

Waiting for the medical. Waiting for the test
Waiting for exam results, "do your very best"
Waiting for the signatures to sign your life away
Waiting for the games, they want you to play

War is not a game, not a game of fun
Shooting real people with real guns
Learning how to defend your precious country
Learning how to die, not them, just you and me

Nuclear war isn't much fun
When the bomb drops
Where you gonna run?
Where you gonna hide?
What you gonna do?
It's not a horror movie
It's happening to you

Waiting for the day
When the peace will come
That day is long away
So, what's that outcome?
No point in fighting
Who will be accused?
But maybe someday
The bombs will be defused
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
For Eric:

MOFFATTS LYRICS

"We're Off To The Rodeo"

"We're off to the rodeo
To watch the cowboy show
The thing that makes them different
Than what we've grown to know
'Cause they'll take their knocks
And get back up and try all over again
The cowboy's worst enemy
Is also his best friend

There's monster trucks and broncin' bucks
And mean old Brahma bulls
Calf ropin', hog tying
And chuck wagon pulls
He's got pretty girls by his side
Everywhere he goes
Cowboy stuff ain't all that bad
Only during the show

We're off to the rodeo
To watch the cowboy show
The cowboy's worst enemy
Is also his best friend

Well, the days are long on the summer tour
They never seem to end
Cowboy's always waitin'
For his hurts to mend
There is special days every now and then
He rides the pain away
With twists and bends he whups his friends
And takes home the pay

We're off to the rodeo
To watch the cowboy show
The cowboy's worst enemy
Is also his best friend"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:38 pm
Hey, TTH. Lovabull song. Razz Welcome back, gal.

The closest that I have ever come to a rodeo is a petting zoo.

I do like this one by Hall and Oates, however.

Winged Bull

Well I'm looking at her from a rock &
roll tower
With the windows, its eyes
And its black stained sides that can't
be climbed
";cause they're slick as wet glass
And the gate lets the force out, but thru
";none shall pass";

But when I'm with you it's just me in my time
Guess I've taken some form
Who knows which time around
But one of the reasons is to unite me
with you
I'm sure of that baby, if a heart tells the truth

Is it the Winged Bull
Or the horns of Old Pan
There's Ra unto Isis
There's woman to man
Sun and the moon
Minus and plus
Zero equals two
In love and in us

Wings of fire and me in my time
Taking the form making this sound
It's all of the reasons that unite me with you
I'm sure of that baby
If a heart tells the truth
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:25 pm
Lay Down Sally
Eric Clapton

There is nothing that is wrong
In wanting you to stay here with me
I know you've got somewhere to go
But won't you make yourself at home and stay with me
Don't you ever leave

Lay down Sally, and rest here in my arms
Don't you think you want someone to talk to
Lay down Sally, there's no need to leave so soon
I've been trying all night long just to talk to you

The sun ain't nearly on the rise
And we still got the moon and stars above
Underneath the velvet skies
Love is all that matters
Won't you stay with me
Don't you ever leave

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

I long to see the morning light
Coloring your face so dreamily
So don't you go and say goodbye
You can lay your worries down and stay with me
Don't you ever leave

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:36 pm
Before I respond to Sally, edgar, how about this rather odd bit of news:

http://www.allhatnocattle.net/poped.jpg

Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides
By DOUG THOMPSON
Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue

President George W. Bush's increasingly erratic behavior and wide mood swings has the halls of the West Wing buzzing lately as aides privately express growing concern over their leader's state of mind...

Now back to Sally.

SONGS & LYRICS

Wilson Pickett - Mustang Sally
Mustang Sally
Guess you better slow your Mustang down
Mustang Sally
Guess you better slow your Mustang down
You been running all over town now
Oh I guess I have to put your flat feet on the ground

Listen!
All you wanna do is ride around Sally (Ride Sally ride)
All you wanna do is a ride around Sally
One of these early morninings
I'm gonna be wiping your weeping eyes

I bought you a brand new Mustang
A nineteen sixty-five
Now you come around Signifying a woman
That don´t wanna let me ride - Mustang Sally now baby oh lord
Guess you better slow that Mustang down

Huh! oh Lord! Look here
You been running all over town
Oow! I got to put your flat feet on the ground
Huh! what I said now hey-a
Let me say it one more time y´all

Listen!
All you wanna do is a ride around Sally
One of these early morninings
I'm gonna be wiping your weeping eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:07 pm
Oops, sorry folks. That news was three years old. Actually, I was looking for a king. This one....

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/aponline/30682.39VATICAN-DON-KING.sff.jpg

One of my very favorite songs by Franz Schubert and the music was done when he was quite young.

Ave Maria Prayer : The Latin text of the Ave Maria prayer
set to the music by Franz Schubert

Ave Maria Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum

Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tui Jesus

Ave Maria
Ave Maria Mater dei
Ora pro nobis pecatoribus
Ora, ora pro nobis
Ora ora pro nobis pecatoribus

Nunc et in hora mortis
In hora mortis, mortis nostrae
In hora mortis nostrae
Ave Maria!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:11 pm
Ave Maria is one of the more beautiful songs, in my book. I actually prefer the version that appeared on the original soundtrack of Fantasia, a Disney offering.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:13 pm
JOHNNY MATHIS
Maria

Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria
All the beautiful sounds of the world
In a single word
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria
Maria, Maria
Maria
I just met a girl named Maria
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same to me
Maria,
I just kissed a girl named Maria
And suddenly I found
How wonderful a sound can be
Maria,
Say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria
I'll never stop saying
Maria

Say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria
I'll never stop saying
Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:38 pm
A big smile for our edgar, 'cause I know his song came from West Side Story which was a modern version of Romeo and Juliet.

From the same artist, Texas.

A time for us, some day there'll be
When chains are torn by courage born of a love that's free
A time when dreams so long denied can flourish
As we unveil the love we now must hide

A time for us, at last to see
A life worthwhile for you and me

And with our love, through tears and thorns
We will endure as we pass surely through every storm
A time for us, some day there'll be a new world
A world of shining hope for you and me

For you and me