WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
My word, edgar. I know every one of those songs, Texas. I found out that Slim is still alive, and the reason that he plays left handed guitar is because some fingers on his right hand are missing. Course we all know that Slim killed the Martians in the movie, "Mars Attacks." Hilarious, listeners.

Merry Andrew mentioned something about "is you is" and I decided to go with this song by Diana Krall.

"Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (My Baby)"

I got a guy who's always late
Every time we have a date
But I love him
Yes I love him

I am going to walk right up to his gate
To see if I can get it straight
Cause I want him
Oh yes I'm gonna ask him

Is you is or is you ain't my baby
The way you're acting lately makes me doubt
You have always been my baby, baby
Seems the flame in your heart has gone out

Well a fellow is a creature
Who has always been strange
Just when you think you're his
He's gone and made a change

Is you is or is you ain't my baby
Has my baby found somebody new
Or is my baby still my baby too.

I thought that Fats Waller did that originally, but when I went searching, I found something much more interesting about that swingin' dude.

Don't know where our Raggedy and the hawkman are, but I hope they be okay. <smile>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:21 pm
Otis Dewy. Remember the name.
For Otis was a singer of fame.
His voice it maybe hurt your brain;
He sold a zillion records all the same.

Otis Otis Otis
Became Slim
Otis Otis Otis
Whitman, Slim
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:48 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 06:14 pm
Now for something inspired by the travelogue forum:

IDAHO
Benny Goodman

Away beyond the hills in Idaho
Where yawning canyons greet the sun
As it smiles above the trees in Idaho
To say another night is done
Warm summer winds toss the waving grain
Calling me back to my home again
To dream sweet memories of long ago
Beyond the hills in Idaho
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
it's getting close to bedtime ...
but there is still time to listen to
"the one and only , the great ERNESTINE ANDERSON !"
applause !!!
hbg

After You've Gone
Ernestine Anderson

After you've gone and left me crying,
after you've gone, there's no denying
You'll feel blue - you're gonna be sad
You've missed the dearest pal you ever had
There'll come a time - don't you forget it
(Yeah) There'll come a time when you'll regret it
Some day when you get lonely
Your heart will break like mine and you'll want me only.
After you've gone, after you've gone away
After we paid - our dues together
You should have stayed through all that nasty weather
Someday while you're feeling badly
You'll need the only one that loves you so madly
But I'll be gone yes I'll be gone - to stay
Yeah after I've gone - after I've gone away
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 05:58 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

hamburger, delightful song, Canada. It's time to get up now, and feed those dogs. Razz

I am rather concerned about our Raggedy. Perhaps that lasagna was too Italian, so for her, a morning serenade.

SERENADE

Dawn, dressed in white,
already opens the door to broad daylight;
already, with her rosy fingers,
she caresses the multitude of flowers!
All around, creation seems stirred
by a mysterious shiver;
and you do not awaken; and in vain
I stay here, aching to sing.

Put on your white dress too,
and open the door to your minstrel!
Where you are not, sunlight is missing;
where you are love dawns.

All around, creation seems stirred
by a mysterious shiver;
and you do not awaken; and in vain
I stay here, aching to sing.

Where you are not, sunlight is missing;
where you are love dawns.

and, the Italian:

MATTINATA
Ruggero Leoncavallo

L'aurora di bianco vestita
Già l'uscio dischiude al gran sol;
Di già con le rosee sue dita
Carezza de' fiori lo stuol!
Commosso da un fremito arcano
Intorno il creato già par;
E tu non ti desti, ed invano
Mi sto qui dolente a cantar.

Metti anche tu la veste bianca
E schiudi l'uscio al tuo cantor!
Ove non sei la luce manca;
Ove tu sei nasce l'amor.

Commosso da un fremito arcano
Intorno il creato già par;
E tu non ti desti, ed invano
Mi sto qui dolente a cantar.

Ove non sei la luce manca;
Ove tu sei nasce l'amor.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:11 am
Cyril Cusack
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyril Cusack (November 26, 1910 - October 7, 1993) was an Irish actor.

Born in Natal, South Africa, he was the son of a sergeant in the mounted police and an actress. His parents separated when he was young and his mother took him to England, and then to Ireland. Cusack's mother and her partner, Breifne O'Rorke, joined the O'Brien and Ireland Players. Cyril made his first stage performance at the age of seven. Cusack was educated in Newbridge College, Newbridge, Co. Kildare, and University College, Dublin. He left without a degree and joined the Abbey Theatre in 1932. Between then and 1945 he performed in over sixty productions, particularly excelling in the plays of Sean O'Casey. In 1947, Cusack formed his own company and staged productions in Dublin, Paris and New York.

In 1963, he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in London, England and appeared there for several seasons. By this stage he had established a successful career in films.

Cusack was twice married:

1) Maureen Kiely Cusack, an actress, died in 1977, with whom he had four daughters and two sons
2) Mary Rose Cunningham (1979-1993)
He received honorary doctorates in 1977 and 1980 from the NUI and the University of Dublin respectively. In 1984, he appeared as Mr. Charrington, the shop-keeper and covert Thought Police informant, in the film version of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. In 1989, he appeared in the film My Left Foot with Daniel Day-Lewis and Brenda Fricker.

Cusack's last stage performance was in Chekhov's The Three Sisters, in which three of his daughters played the sisters. His four daughters, Niamh, Sorcha, Sinéad and Catherine are actresses. His sons, Paul Cusack and Pádraig Cusack, work as a producer with RTÉ and in computers, respectively.

In 1993, Cyril Cusack died in London, England of motor neurone disease.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:21 am
Robert Goulet

Robert Gerard Goulet (b. November 26, 1933, Lawrence, Massachusetts) is an American entertainer.

Goulet rose to international stardom in 1960 as Lancelot in Lerner and Loewe's hit Broadway musical Camelot. His long career as a singer and actor encompasses theatre, radio, television and film. Goulet resides and performs in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Early years

Goulet was the only son of French Canadian parents, Joseph Georges Andre Goulet and the former Jeanette Gauthier. He began singing when he was five years old. At a family gathering, Goulet's aunts and uncles blackened his face with burnt cork and had him do an Al Jolson impersonation. The applause gave him stage fright, and left him with a fear of performing for many years.

When he was only a few months old, Goulet's parents established themselves in the northern town of Girouxville, Alberta. After his early teens, Goulet's talents brought him to brighter lights in Edmonton, Alberta. His widowed mother fully supported him on all levels-even moving 4 hours drive away to the provincial capital; she eventually returned to Girouxville.

In Edmonton, Robert attended Herbert G. Turner's famous voice school and later at Jean Letourneau's music school. Soon after, Goulet became a radio announcer for CKUA. Goulet won a scholarship to Toronto's Royal Conservatory of Music, where he studied acting and singing.

Goulet continued voice training through 1952-1954 with famed oratorio baritones George Lambert and Ernesto Vinci on a Royal Conservatory Of Music scholarship.

He became a semi-finalist in 1952 on CBC-TV's Pick The Stars which led to other network appearances on shows like the Canadian version of Howdy Doody (in which he starred opposite another future star, William Shatner), Singing Stars Of Tomorrow and Opportunity Knocks.

Rise to stardom

In 1959, Goulet was introduced to librettist Alan Jay Lerner and composer Frederick Loewe, who were having difficulty casting the role of Lancelot in their stage production Camelot. Lerner and Loewe, impressed by Goulet's talent, signed the virtual newcomer to play the part, opposite Richard Burton's King Arthur and Julie Andrews' Queen Guenevere.

In October 1960, Camelot opened in Toronto, briefly ran for a four-week engagement in Boston, and finally opened on Broadway in December of that year. Goulet received favorable reviews, most notably for his show-stopping romantic ballad, If Ever I Would Leave You.

After Camelot's run, Goulet was booked on The Danny Thomas Show and The Ed Sullivan Show, which made him a household name among American audiences.

In 1966, Goulet starred as a double agent in the World War II television drama Blue Light.

Entertainment career

In 1968, Goulet was on Broadway in the Kander and Ebb musical, The Happy Time. He appeared in a 1982 production of Rose-Marie with Inga Swenson, and in 2005 appeared in the Broadway revival of Jerry Herman's La Cage aux Folles. Goulet began a recording career with Columbia Records in 1962 which resulted in more than 15 albums.

Goulet began working in films in 1962, providing the voice of one of the characters in the animated feature Gay Purr-ee opposite Judy Garland. His first acting role was in His and Hers (1964), but it was not until a cameo appearance as a singer in Louis Malle's Atlantic City (1980) that Goulet was given critical acclaim. He recorded the song Atlantic City (My Old Friend) for Applause Records in 1981.

He was absent from the screen for seven years until he was cast by Tim Burton as a houseguest blown through the roof by Beetlejuice and also played himself in Bill Murray's Scrooged (both 1988). In 1990, he sang the Canadian national anthem at the beginning of WrestleMania VI, which was held at the Toronto Skydome in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

In 1991, Goulet starred, along with John Putch and Hillary Bailey Smith, in the unsold television series pilot Acting Sheriff. That same year he appeared as the bad guy known as 'Quentin Hapsburg' opposite Leslie Nielsen in the comedy The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear.

In 1993, he played himself in the Simpsons episode $pringfield. In that episode, he sang the well-known Jingle Bells (Batman Smells), although he has yet to record the song commercially. In 1996, he appeared in Ellen DeGeneres' first starring vehicle, Mr. Wrong, as an insecure TV host. Goulet has also appeared in the Disney cartoon, 'Recess', as the singing voice for Mikey Blumberg, in numerous episodes.

Goulet remains popular in Las Vegas and performs in hotels and in concerts around the world.

The longstanding report, repeated in many reference books, that Goulet's real name is Stanley Applebaum is false. The error resulted from an offhand remark Goulet made to a group of reporters when he first became famous. It is not, however, urban legend that Elvis Presley once shot a television while Goulet appeared on screen.

Goulet and his first wife, Louise Longmore, had one daughter, Nikki. He and his second wife, Carol Lawrence, produced two sons, Christopher and Michael. In 1982 he was married a third time in Las Vegas, Nevada to Vera Novak. When not at their home in Las Vegas they reside on their yacht in Los Angeles, California. They also have a grandson who is 17 named Graham Goulet who attends school at Lakefield College in Canada.

In March 2006, it was announced that Goulet would receive a star on Canada's Walk of Fame. Although he was not born in Canada, but was born of Canadian parents who moved back three months later, he spent his formative years there and is currently seeking Canadian citizenship with the help of fellow Albertan, bandleader and senator Tommy Banks.

He was spoofed by comedian Will Ferrell several times on Saturday Night Live, most memorably pitching a CD which saw him crooning his own version of rap songs such as Big Poppa and Thong Song.

In another sketch, Goulet and his family members star in their own off-Broadway musical entitled Red Ships of Spain. However, Goulet becomes so intoxicated that he attempts to french kiss his daughter.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:29 am
Rich Little

Richard Caruthers "Rich" Little (born November 26, 1938) is a Canadian comedian best known for his celebrity impersonations.

Born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Little was one of three sons of a physician, he had a gift for impersonations since his school days and began performing professionally in night clubs at 17. He acted in Ottawa's Little Theatre and became a successful disc jockey who frequently incorporated impersonations into his show. In 1963, he was asked to audition by Mel Torme, who was producing a new variety show for Judy Garland. The audition won him the job and he broke into American show business.

Little was a frequent guest on variety and talk shows. For example, he cracked up Johnny Carson by capturing the Tonight Show host's voice and many on-stage mannerisms perfectly (he later played Carson in the HBO TV-movie The Late Shift). One of his best known impressions is of US President Richard Nixon. During the 1970s, Little made many television appearances portraying Nixon. He was a regular guest on Dean Martin's Celebrity Roasts in the 1970s and was also a regular on The Julie Andrews Hour in 1973. He was named Comedy Star of the Year by the American Guild of Variety Artists in 1974. He hosted The ABC Comedy Hour (also known as KopyKats) in 1972, The Rich Little Show in 1976, and The New You Asked For It in 1981. He has also appeared in several movies and released nine albums.

He is arguably one of the most famous impressionists in show business. While some of his contemporaries, such as David Frye, Frank Gorshin and John Byner arguably did certain specific voices better than Little did them, in terms of sheer volume Little's catalog of impressions is difficult to approach.

Other interests

Little has been active in several charities including the Juvenile Diabetes Fund and the Children's Miracle Network. He has been named to Miami Children's Hospital International Pediatrics Hall of Fame and been honored by the naming of the Rich Little Special Care Nursery at Ottawa Civic Hospital.

In popular culture

Little himself was impersonated on an episode of Saturday Night Live which featured a parody of the Inside the Actors Studio program with guest host Alec Baldwin portraying him. He was also impersonated in a later episode by fellow impressionist Darrell Hammond.

Personal life

Little was married to Jeanne Worden from 1971 until their divorce in 1989. The couple have a daughter, Bria. He married Jeannette Markey in 1994; they divorced in 1997. He married his current wife, Marie Marotta, in 2003.

Although Little is a Canadian citizen, he resides in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he performs regularly.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:37 am
Tina Turner

Birth name Anna Mae Bullock
Born November 26, 1939
Origin Brownsville, Tennessee

Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock on November 26, 1939) is a Grammy Award-winning American pop/rock singer, Buddhist and occasional actress. She was born of African American, Navajo, and Cherokee ancestry in the Haywood Memorial Hospital in Brownsville, Tennessee and raised in Nutbush, Tennessee. Tina Turner's dominance in rock and roll throughout the 1980s and 1990s, earned her the title "Queen of Rock & Roll".[1]

At age 16, she moved to St. Louis, Missouri and became well-known for her high energy performances with The Ike & Tina Turner Revue during the 1960s and 1970s. At the height of the revue's success, Tina Turner became as popular a live performer as other very popular live entertainers during her time such as James Brown.

Tina Turner was a very popular performer before she split with Ike Turner, but it was her solo comeback in the mid-1980s that propelled her to a level where she would become one of the most successful musicians and rock artists of all time, selling more concert tickets than any other female performer in history. Tina Turner is noted for her overpowering stage presence. Her physical trademarks are her long, well-proportioned legs, big hair, and raspy voice.

Throughout her career, Tina Turner has received many awards and honors. Tina possesses a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in the 1990s. In addition, she is a member of the St. Louis Walk of Fame. She is also the winner of seven Grammy Awards.

Her spouse is German record executive Erwin Bach. Turner and Bach live together in Küsnacht, Zürich, Switzerland and Nice, France. She was a mezzo-soprano in her youth, and later developed into an alto.

Biography

Early life

Anna Mae Bullock (Tina Turner) and her elder sister, Alline Bullock, were abandoned by their father, and temporarily by their mother. They moved out of Nutbush, Tennessee and into St. Louis to reunite with their mother in 1956. In St. Louis, Anna Bullock met Ike Turner, a noted pioneer of rock and roll, and later asked him if she could sing for him. Ike's initial response was no, but after much persistence on Anna's part, Ike eventually agreed.

Early career

Young Anna Mae started working with Ike Turner in 1958. Ike changed her stage name to Tina Turner. They later married in 1962. She began as an occasional vocalist in his show at the age of 18, but within a couple of years she not only had a new name, but was the spotlight of a popular soul revue led by Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm.

When a singer was scheduled to record the famous R&B song, "A Fool In Love", didn't appear, Tina stepped in and recorded the song instead. "A Fool In Love" was a huge R&B hit, and it crossed over and made it into the top 30 of the U.S pop chart. After this, Ike changed the name of his band to the Ike and Tina Turner Revue. Throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s Ike & Tina rose into superstardom. As times and musical styles changes, Tina developed a unique stage persona as a singer/dancer/performer that people very much enjoyed in live concert.

Tina and the Revue's backup singers, The Ikettes, wove intricate and electrifying dance routines into their performances, which influenced many other artists, including Mick Jagger (for whose Rolling Stones 1969 American Tour they opened). Ike and Tina Turner recorded a string of hits in the 1960s and early 1970s, including "A Fool In Love," "It's Gonna Work Out Fine," "I Idolize You," "Nutbush City Limits," and "River Deep - Mountain High" with producer Phil Spector in his Wall of sound style. They also carved out a successful niche for themselves by "covering" songs made popular by other artists, such as "Come Together", "Honky Tonk Woman", "I Want to Take You Higher". In fact, their signature hit became their high energy cover version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's 1968 "Proud Mary". "Proud Mary" was the duo's greatest commercial successes, peaking at number four in March 1971.

While many of their original recordings failed to chart, by the late 1960s and early 1970s the Ike and Tina Turner Revue was well known for their live act and electrifying television appearances. Their supporters included The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Sly Stone, Janis Joplin, Cher, James Brown, Ray Charles, Elton John and Elvis Presley. They were always performing anywhere and everywhere. A one night gig at a small predomininately black supper club in the South could be followed up in the same week with a show at a major venue in Las Vegas or a national TV appearance. Ike acted as the groups' manager and lead musical director, calling all the shots and ruling the act (and Tina) with an iron hand. While a fine musician and an early rock and roll influence, Ike's control of the Revue's management, recording contracts and performances eventually led to their decline, as his drug abuse worsened. This controlling (and often violent) atmosphere caused the musicians and backup singers to frequently come and go, and Tina later reported being isolated and physically abused by Ike on a regular basis for most of their marriage.

Ike and Tina had one child together, born in 1960, although their extended family consisted of two older sons of Ike's from a previous relationship and a son whom Tina bore in 1958 by Raymond Hill, a onetime saxophone player in Ike Turner's band.

1970s

By the mid-1970s, Tina Turner's personal life and marriage began to further deteriorate. Ike's drug use led to increasingly erratic and physically abusive behavior toward Tina. Their act was losing speed, largely due to Ike's refusal to accept outside management of their recording or touring, preferring to keep management costs down. Touring dates began to decline, and record sales were down. Despite Tina's successful big-screen appearance in The Who's rock opera, Tommy (in which she played the Acid Queen), Ike placed the blame for the Revue's decline on Tina.

After a final vicious beating right before they were due to appear in Dallas over the Fourth of July, 1976, Tina abruptly decided to leave Ike, fleeing with nothing more than thirty-six cents and a gas station credit card. She spent the next few months hiding from Ike by staying with various friends and relying on food stamps to exist. Additionally in 1976, Turner covered the Beatles song "Come Together" for the transitory musical documentary All This and World War II.

Tina credits her newfound Buddhist faith with giving her the courage to eventually strike out on her own. Legally, by walking out on Ike in the middle of a tour, she learned she was liable for sizable damages to the tour promoters. Needing to earn a living, Tina decided to strike out on her own as a solo performer, pulling a lounge act together, supplementing her income with TV appearances on shows like The Hollywood Squares, Donny and Marie, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and even the The Brady Bunch Hour.

Tina finalized her divorce in 1978 after 18 years of marriage, accusing Ike of years of severe spousal abuse and rampant drug addiction in her autobiography I, Tina, which was later made into the film What's Love Got to Do with It?. To put the marriage (and Ike) behind her, Tina left the marriage with no money or property, asking for and retaining only the use of the stage name Ike had given her--and assuming responsibility for the huge debts owed from the cancelled tour, as well as a significant IRS lien.

Solo career

Private Dancer

Tina Turner began touring extensively in the US and abroad to pay the bills and released several solo albums in the 1970s, but her career stalled until teaming up in 1982 with BEF for a remake of the Temptations' "Ball of Confusion" and recording a remake of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together," which drew the attention of Capitol Records.

While she was largely considered to be unmarketable by the American recording industry, her popularity as a top stage act never faded in Europe and other parts of the world. Capitol signed her to a limited deal with their UK label. She divided her time between appearing at various clubs and smaller venues in the US, to keep herself in the public eye. She continued to sell out major venues in Europe and other parts of the world despite her problems in the United States.

When Tina Turner's version of "Let's Stay Together" was released in the United Kingdom, it became a huge hit, peaking at number six. This record marked a major turning point in Tina's solo career. Capitol shrewdly released the record in the US, where it made the Top 30. Given this turn of events, Capitol Records was quickly forced to review their previous assessment of Tina's chartability and put forth the resources to let her record an album.

In 1984, after much anticipation Tina Turner was able to release her long awaited solo album Private Dancer. The album was an enormous success, and established Tina Turner as a solo artist. Private Dancer had three very popular top ten singles in the United States. Two of these three singles won Grammy Awards. Tina Turner won a total of four Grammy Awards in 1985 thanks to the success of her debut solo album and its singles.

The Billboard Hot 100 number-one hit, "What's Love Got to Do With It?", won Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 1985 Grammy Awards. The album's title track, written by Mark Knopfler, peaked at number seven on the Top 100. The third single, "Better Be Good To Me", reached number five on the charts and won the 1985 Best Female Rock Vocal Performance Grammy.

"What's Love Got to Do With It?" was one of the most popular songs of 1984, and remains one of Tina Turner's most beloved songs. Private Dancer went on to sell over 6 million copies in the United States alone, and well over 20 million copies worldwide, becoming the most successful album of the 1984-1985 period. It peaked at number three on the US album sales chart, and remained at number one for five weeks on the US R&B album sales chart. More than twenty years after its release, Private Dancer is one of the highest-selling albums of all time.

Break Every Rule and beyond

In 1984 she also recorded a duet with Bryan Adams entitled "It's Only Love". In 1985, she appeared as "Aunty Entity" in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome with Mel Gibson, and scored additional hits with the movie's soundtrack, "We Don't Need Another Hero," and "One of the Living." We Don't need Another Hero was a huge success on the radio charts. It peaked at number 2 in the U.S. The song remains one of Tina Turner's most popular and powerful songs. Later that year, Tina Turner also contributed her voice to the famous We Are the World song along with several famous musicians.

"One of the Living" was also quite popular and won a Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance. That same year, Tina famously duetted with The Rolling Stones' own Mick Jagger in a performance of "State of Shock" at the Live Aid benefit concert at JFK Stadium.

In 1986, Tina Turner released her second solo studio album, Break Every Rule. The album was a great sales, music chart, and tour success. It spawned a number of hit singles including the most popular, "Typical Male", which peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 at number two. "Typical Male" is noted for its powerful, fast-paced beats, and strong vocals. Break Every Rule sold nearly 12 million copies worldwide. Tina entered the Guinness Book of World Records during her Break Every Rule tour when she performed in front of the largest paying audience to see a single performer. The audience was made up of over 182,000 fans in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The concert, sponsored by Pepsi, was broadcast live to a worldwide audience.

In 1989, Tina Turner released her last album of the 1980s Foreign Affair. This album was another great success for Turner, selling over 10 million copies worldwide. "Foreign Affair" sold 1.5 million copies in the United States. It spawned a variety of different hit singles. One of the album's most popular singles was the hit, "The Best", originally, a song on a Bonnie Tyler album. The song peaked at number six on the U.S. Hot 100, and peaked at number five in the United Kingdom.

1990s

During the early 1990s, her song "Simply The Best" had become the theme song of two athletes: the legendary boxer Chris Eubank (who made an unannounced appearance on stage with Tina at one years MOBO Awards) and also the Brazilian Formula One racer Ayrton Senna (she even called him onstage in an Australian concert in 1993, a few months before his death). Also, the song was used in promotion of rugby league in Australia. The advertising campaign brought a lot of interest to the game, and the campaign reached a height when Turner appeared at and performed the song at the 1993 NSWRL Grand Final. A rugby league version of the songs video clip was also released around the same time, which was in the top ten videos in Australia for a long time as well. The song was also used and was very successful in advertisements for HBO commercials, previewing shows and movies... it unofficially became HBO's second theme, for years.

In 1993, her 1986 autobiography I, Tina (an international best seller) was made into a motion picture entitled What's Love Got to Do with It?. Angela Bassett won the role of Tina Turner in the movie (Whitney Houston had declined due to inminent maternity and Halle Berry had also auditioned for the role) and was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. Laurence Fishburne played Ike and also received an Oscar nomination for his portrayal.

Tina Turner released an official sound-track album to the movie also titled, 'What's Love Got to Do with It?. Tina returned to the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 with the theme song for the film "I Don't Wanna Fight," and embarked on a tour of North America. The album went double platinum in the U.S. for sales over 2 million, and it sold over 9 million copies throughout the world. Tina, What's Love Live! was broadcast by FOX in the United States at the conclusion of her tour. That same year at the World Music Awards, Tina was honored with the Outstanding Contribution to Music Award.

In 1995, she recorded the title theme of the James Bond movie Goldeneye, penned by Bono and The Edge of U2.

Shortly thereafter, at the age of 56, Tina embarked on a world tour to promote her Wildest Dreams album. In 1996 Tina Turner released her fourth official studio album titled, Wildest Dreams. "Wildest Dreams" sold over 8 million copies worldwide and 1.3 million copies in the United States. In 1998 Tina recorded the theme tune for "The Lion King II: Simba's Pride" called "He Lives In You"

Tina Turner's most recent official studio album was released in 1999. The album was called Twenty Four Seven. It was not as successful as Tina's past albums, but it was still a success. It sold 1 million copies in the U.S. becoming platinum, and 6 million copies throughout the world. Also in 1999 Tina performed on VH1 Divas Live '99 with artists like Cher, Whitney Houston & Elton John.

Tina's great popularity throughout Europe had never faded during the tough times, and she moved there permanently in 1986 to share a home with Erwin Bach, a German-born EMI record company executive 16 years her junior. In addition to a lakeshore home on the Goldküste, the most exclusive district of Zurich, Switzerland, Turner has an estate in France at Villefranche-sur-Mer, a small town about 4 miles (6km) east of the city of Nice. Her home there sits atop Mont Vinaigrier, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.

"The most consummate professional" - Janis Joplin on Tina Turner.

Tina Turner today

Tina gives a very rare performance on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2005.Tina Turner is now semi-retired due to her age. However, she continues to make appearances and collaborations: in 2003, she teamed up with Phil Collins to record the song "Great Spirits" for the Disney film Brother Bear.

In 2004, Tina Turner released her latest greatest hits compilation album, All the Best, which made Tina's highest Billboard 200 debut of her career, entering at #2. The album includes a new single, "Open Arms" - the song was a hit in US radio and reached the UK Top 25. All The Best has so far sold over 5 million copies in the world.

Early 2005-Tina continued to do several live television performances in the US and Europe, highlighted by an interview and performance on The Oprah Winfrey Show in Spring 2005 and a charity ball in St. Petersburg, Russia in November, highlighted by performances of "What's Love Got to do with it"; "We Don't Need Another Hero", "Private Dancer" and "The Best". Also in 2005, Tina was honored as one of the top legends in the entertainment business by Winfrey and her peers and appeared at Oprah Winfrey's Color Purple Premiere, in New York City on December 1, 2005. She closed the year with the Kennedy Center Honors, in a show stopping event at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC on December 4. Turner joined an elite group of entertainers including contemporaries, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Little Richard and Chuck Berry.

In Early 2006 Teach Me Again soundtrack was released. Turner sang the song with Elisa. In August Billboard Magazine reported that Tina is working on a new album. In 2005, on the Oprah Winfrey Show, she had said any future tours would be conducted before she turns 70, which would be in 2009. Guy Chambers, the former producer of Robbie Williams, announced during an interview in October that his next project is Tina Turner's comeback album. If this is correct, she may be touring next year.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:01 am
Signs That You Drink Too Much...

- You regularly lose arguments with inanimate objects.

- You have to hold onto the lawn to keep from falling off the earth.

- Job interfering with your drinking.

- Your doctor finds traces of blood in your alcohol stream.

- Career won't progress beyond Senator of Massachusetts.

- The back of your head keeps getting hit by the toilet seat.

- Sincerely believe alcohol to be the elusive 5th food group.

- 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case - coincidence?

You drink whiskey faster than your printer drinks ink:

- Two hands and just one mouth...now THAT'S a drinking problem!

- You can focus better with one eye closed.

- The parking lot seems to have moved while you were in the bar.

- Your twin sons are named Barley and Hops.

- Hey, 5 beers has just as many calories as a burger...skip dinner!

- Mosquitoes catch a buzz after biting you!

- At AA meetings you begin: "Hi, my name is... uh..."

- Your idea of cutting back is less salt with your Tequila.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
Signs That You Drink Too Much...

- You regularly lose arguments with inanimate objects.

- You have to hold onto the lawn to keep from falling off the earth.

- Job interfering with your drinking.

- Your doctor finds traces of blood in your alcohol stream.

- Career won't progress beyond Senator of Massachusetts.

- The back of your head keeps getting hit by the toilet seat.

- Sincerely believe alcohol to be the elusive 5th food group.

- 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case - coincidence?

You drink whiskey faster than your printer drinks ink:

- Two hands and just one mouth...now THAT'S a drinking problem!

- You can focus better with one eye closed.

- The parking lot seems to have moved while you were in the bar.

- Your twin sons are named Barley and Hops.

- Hey, 5 beers has just as many calories as a burger...skip dinner!

- Mosquitoes catch a buzz after biting you!

- At AA meetings you begin: "Hi, my name is... uh..."

- Your idea of cutting back is less salt with your Tequila.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:18 am
hawkman. Welcome back, Boston, and we know that the bio's are finished when you end up with those funny signs. Loved 'em, Bob.

Wow! enlightening info about Robert Goulet. I suspect he needs to read your tips about too much of a good thing.

One of my all time favorites is Rich Little's "Christmas Carol." That man is a real genius.

Excerpt from the movie, folks.

Christmas Carol (1978) (TV)
Directed by
Trevor Evans

Genre: Comedy / Fantasy (more)

Rich Little .... W.C. Fields as Scrooge/Paul Lynde as Bob Cratchit/Humphrey Bogart as the Ghost of Christmas Past/Peter Falk as the Ghost of Christmas Present/Peter Sellers as the Ghost of Christmas Yet-To-Come/Richard Nixon as Jacob Marley/Truman Capote as Tiny Tim/Groucho Marx as Fezziwig/Edith Bunker as Mrs. Cratchit/Johnny Carson as Nephew Fred/Jimmy Stewart as Scrooge's boss/John Wayne as businessman/George Burns as businessman/Jack Benny as boy outside window

Also Known As:
Rich Little's Christmas Carol (USA) (complete title)
Runtime: Canada:60 min / USA:55 min
Language: English
Color: Color
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:29 am
Good Morning WA2K.
How lovely to be awakened by a serenade by Letty. Very Happy

Today's picture gallery:

http://www.castlerock.it/dbimg/medium/gallery1706.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/0/4/5/d04041vsy54.jpg
http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/literature/Little-R.jpghttp://image.com.com/mp3/images/cover/200/drg500/g575/g57587o8oly.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
Raggedy! (do you hear me exhaling?) Welcome back, PA. You and Boston are in sync today.

A lovely quartet of pictures, gal. The only one that I don't recognize is Cyril, but there are a few out there that I don't know. Razz

From Tina:

You must understand though the touch of your hand
Makes my pulse react
That it's only the thrill of boy meeting girl
Opposittes attract
It's physical
Only logical
You must try to ignore that it means more than that

What's love got to do, got to do with it
What's love but a second hand emotion
Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken

It may seem to you that I'm acting confused
When you're close to me
If a tend to look dazed I've read it someplace
I've got cause to be
There's a name for it
There's a phrase that fits
But whatever the reason you do it for me

What's love but a second hand emotion

I've been taking on a new direction
But I have to say
I've been thinking about my own protection
It scares me to feel this way

What's love but a sweet old fashioned notion
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
Sentimental Me
The Ames Brothers

Sentimental me
Guess I'll always be
So in love with you
Don't know what to do
Sentimental me

Dreaming while I live
Living just to give
All my love to you
No one else will do
Sentimental me

Reaching for the moon
And wishing on a star
On my honeymoon
I want to be where you are

Darling, can't you see
It was meant to be
I'm in love with you
Say you love me to
Sentimental me

Reaching for the moon (reaching for the moon)
And wishing on a star (wishing on a star)
On my honeymoon (on my honeymoon)
I want to be where you are

Darling, can't you see
It was meant to be
I'm in love with you
Say you love me to
Sentimental me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 10:13 am
Hey, edgar. Wow. I sorta recall that one, Texas. You know, folks, I had forgotten about some of the books that I read as a child. One was "The Wind in the Willows" and the other "Old Mother West Wind." Osso had a thread about it, and I found that the following song was based on one of them:

Blackmore's Night
» Wind In The Willows

As I went a walking
One morning in spring
I met with some travelers
On an old country lane
One was an old man
The second a maid
The third was a young boy who smiled as he said
"With the wind in the willows
The birds in the sky
There's a bright sun to warm us wherever we lie...
We have bread and fishes and a jug of red wine
To share on our journey with all of mankind".
So I asked them to tell me their name and their race
So I could remember each smile on their face
"Our name, they mean nothing...
They change throughout time
So come sit beside us and share in our wine"
So I sat down beside them
With flowers all around
We ate from a mantle
Spread out on the ground
They told me of prophets
And peoples and kings
And all of the one god that knows everything
"We're traveling to Glaston
Over England's gren lanes
To hear of men's troubles
To hear of their pains
We travel the wide world
Over land and the sea
To tell all the people
How they can be free..."
So sadly I left them
On that old country lane
For I knew that I'd never see them again
One was an old man
The second a maid
The third was a young boy who smiled as he said...
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
Good morning folks, do you know the…

Games People Play
Joe South lyrics

Oh the games people play now
Every night and every day now
Never meaning what they say now
Never saying what they mean

And they wile away the hours
In their ivory towers
Till they're covered up with flowers
In the back of a black limousine

Chorus
La-da da da da da da da
La-da da da da da de
Talking 'bout you and me
And the games people play

Oh we make one another cry
Break a heart then we say goodbye
Cross our hearts and we hope to die
That the other was to blame

Neither one will give in
So we gaze at our eight by ten
Thinking 'bout the things that might have been
It's a dirty rotten shame

Repeat Chorus

People walking up to you
Singing glory hallelulia
And they're tryin to sock it to you
In the name of the Lord

They're gonna teach you how to meditate
Read your horoscope, cheat your faith
And further more to hell with hate
Come on and get on board

Repeat Chorus

Look around tell me what you see
What's happening to you and me
God grant me the serenity
To remember who I am

Cause you've given up your sanity
For your pride and your vanity
Turns you sad on humanity
And you don't give a da da da da da

Repeat Chorus
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 11:35 am
Well, there's our Try. I have played trivial pursuit, buddy, and bridge, and chess but not..........

Artist: Santana Lyrics
Song: The Game Of Love Lyrics

Tell me
Just what you want me to be
One kiss
And boom you're the only one for me
So please tell me
Why don't you come around no more?
Cause right now
I'm crying outside the door of your candy store

Chorus:
It just takes a little bit of this, a little bit of that