WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:05 pm
Eva, dear. I was wondering where you were, Oklahoma. I am glad that you are safe and sound in our wee studio.<smile>

For you upon your return:

When the moon hangs low in Napoli, there's a handsome gondolier,
Every night he sings so happily, so his lady love can hear.
In a manner oh gravissimo, he repeats his serenade,
And his heart beats so fortissimo, when she raises her Venetian shade.
Ciribiribin, chiribiribin, ciribiribin.
Ciribiribin, he waits for her each night beneath her balcony.
Ciribiribin, he begs to hold her tight, but no, she won't agree.
Ciribiribin, she throws a rose and blows a kiss from up above,
Ciribiribin, ciribiribin, ciribiribin, they're so in love.
(musical interlude)
Ciribiribin, ciribiribin, ciribiribin, they're so in love
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:12 pm
Dys mentioned a film we watched called Tosca's Kiss, but he didn't go into a description. I know you would love it Letty. As mentioned, it takes place at a home for retired opera singers and musicians from Italy, started and funded by Giuseppe Verdi. It is an exquisite look at elderly singers, composers and musicians living in a lovely home where music is always in the air.

Sara Scuderi, one of the residents, was a famous opera singer from the 1920's who was still singing beautifully in the film. In one scene, a man has just come out of a phone booth in the hall when he sees Scuderi walking toward him. He immediately starts singing a part from Tosca-- Scuderi picks right up on it and sings the part of Tosca, pretending to stab him. He dramatically falls, in the throws of death, into the phone booth. Scuderi continues to sing until he finally asks her if he can get up. It was a total delight. In each scene there are faces caught up in music and memories. They are able to live in comfort while memories come alive with music. In addition, the remarkable talent of the residents means the music is of the highest quality. There are pianos in almost every public room.

If you can find it, be sure to rent it and to have a box of tissues nearby; not because it is sad, but because it is so touching and full of life. Anyone who loves music will love this film, even if they don't care for opera.

Now, to go with your song of weeping winds, here is:

Willow Weep For Me

Ann Ronell

Willow weep for me
Willow weep for me
Bent your branches down along the ground and cover me
Listen to my plea
Hear me willow and weep for me
Gone my lovely dreams
Lovely summer dreams
Gone and left me here
To wheep my tears along the stream
Sad as I can be
Whisper to the wind and say thay love has sinned
To leave my heart a sign
And crying alone
Murmur to the night
Hide her starry light
So none will find me sighing
Crying all alone
Wheeping willow tree
Wheeping sympathy
Bent your branches down along the ground and cover me
Listen to me plee
Willow
Willow
Wheep for me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
Ah, Diane. It is so nice to have a voice of reason speaking for that cowboy. <smile> What a beautifully written prelude for the movie, honey. I suppose I could find it and I know that I would enjoy the depth of the emotion that it would create.

I also want to thank you for playing that song. I can hear the melody as I read the words. I think I am caught up again in the music of the night.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 07:32 pm
We are very glad to see that some of our lost audience has returned, folks, and we want to welcome them back:

Debacle; Joe Nation; and colorbook.

For the book of color:

Bread:

If a picture paints a thousand words,
Then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show the you I've come to know.
If a face could launch a thousand ships,
Then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you,
You're all that's left me too.
And when my love for life is running dry,
You come and pour yourself on me.

If a man could be two places at one time,
I'd be with you.
Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way.
If the world should stop revolving spinning slowly down to die,
I'd spend the end with you.
And when the world was through,
Then one by one the stars would all go out,
Then you and I would simply fly away

Tomorrow, we will do one for Debacle and Joe.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:15 am
Good morning, WA2K radio folks.

Here's one for Debacle and panz as I know they like Hank:

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill?
He sounds too blue to fly.
The midnight train is whining low:
I'm so lonesome I could cry.

I've never seen a night so long,
When time goes crawling by.
The moon just went behind a cloud,
To hide its face and cry.

Did you ever see a Robin weep,
When leaves begin to die?
That means he's lost his will to live.

Instrumental break.

The silence of a falling star,
Lights up a purple sky.
And as I wonder where you are,

Honestly, that is pure poetry, listeners. The man in black did that one as well.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:22 am
Dick Powell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born 14 November 1904
Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Died 2 January 1963
West Los Angeles, California, USA

Richard Ewing "Dick" Powell (November 14, 1904 - January 2, 1963) was an American singer, actor, producer, and director.

Born in Mountain View, Arkansas, Powell attended Little Rock College in Arkansas, before starting his entertainment career as a singer in his own band. He recorded a number of records for the Vocalion label in the late 1920's. In April of 1930, the Warner Bros. bought up Brunswick Records which at that time owned the Vocalion label. The Warner Bros. were impressed by his singing enough to offer him a film contract in 1932. He made his film debut as a singing bandleader in Blessed Event. He went on to star as a boyish crooner in movie musicals such as 42nd Street, Footlight Parade, Gold Diggers of 1933, Dames, Flirtation Walk, and On the Avenue, often appearing opposite Ruby Keeler and Joan Blondell.

Powell desperately wanted to expand his range but Warner Bros. wouldn't let him. Finally, reaching his forties and knowing that his young romantic leading man days were behind him, he lobbied to play the lead in Double Indemnity. He lost out to Fred MacMurray, another Hollywood nice guy. MacMurray's success, however, fueled Powell's resolve to pursue projects with greater range and in 1944 he found himself cast in the first of a series of films noir this time as Private Detective Philip Marlowe in Murder, My Sweet, directed by Edward Dmytryk. The film was a big hit. Dick Powell had successfully reinvented himself as a dramatic actor.

The following year, Dmytryk and Powell re-teamed to make Cornered, a gripping, post-WWII thriller that helped define the film noir style.

He became a popular "tough-guy" lead, appearing in movies such as Johnny O'Clock and The Tall Target. Even when he appeared in lighter fare such as The Reformer and the Redhead and Mrs. Mike, he never sang in his later roles.

From 1949 until 1953 Powell played the lead role in the NBC radio theater production Richard Diamond, Private Detective. His character in the 30 minute weekly was a likeable private detective with a quick wit.

In the 1950s Powell produced and directed several B-movies and was one of the founders of Four Star Television, appearing in and supervising several shows for that company. His film "The Enemy Below" based on the novel by Denys Rayner won an academy award for special effects.

Powell died on January 2, 1963 from lymphoma at the age of 58. He was one of many of the cast and crew of the 1956 movie, The Conqueror, who died from the same disease. The Conqueror had been filmed in Utah near an atomic test site and it's been rumored, however never proven, that the film's shooting location may have been the cause of the cancers the crew were inflicted with.

Dick Powell was cremated and his remains were interred in the Columbarium of Honor at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California.

Personal life

Dick Powell was married three times:

1) Mildred Maund (1925-1927);
2) Actress Joan Blondell (married September 19, 1936, divorced 1944), with whom he had two children, Ellen and Norman;
3) Actress/singer June Allyson (August 19, 1945 until his death), with whom he had two children, Pamela (adopted) and Richard Powell, Jr.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:35 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:45 am
Veronica Lake

Veronica Lake (14 November 1922[1] - 7 July 1973) was a popular American film actress and pin-up model who enjoyed both popular and critical acclaim, especially for her femme fatale roles in film noir with Alan Ladd during the 1940s.

Described by Bette Davis as "the most beautiful person who ever came to Hollywood," her success was fleeting. Following a string of broken marriages and long struggles with mental illness and alcoholism, she died almost destitute.

Early life and career

Veronica Lake was born Constance Frances Marie Ockelman in Brooklyn, New York. Constance's father, Harry E. Ockelman, worked for an oil company onboard a ship. When she was about one year old, the family moved to Florida but returned to Brooklyn before she was five. According to some accounts, she was beaten as a child. Her father died in an industrial explosion when she was 12. Her mother, Veronica, married Anthony Keane a year later, and Constance began using his last name.

The Keane family is said to have lived in Canada, New York state and Miami, Florida. Constance graduated from high school in Miami, where she was known for her beauty. She had a troubled childhood and was allegedly diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic during her teenage years, although no records exist to verify this diagnosis.

In 1938 Constance moved with her mother and step-father to Beverly Hills, California where Mrs. Keane enrolled her daughter in the celebrated Bliss-Hayden School of Acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. Her first appearance on screen was for RKO, playing a small role among several coeds in Sorority House (1939). Similar roles followed, including All Women Have Secrets and Dancing Co-Ed.

During the making of Sorority House, director John Farrow first noticed how her hair always covered her right eye, creating an air of mystery about her and enhancing her natural beauty. She was then introduced to the Paramount producer Arthur Hornblow Jr., who changed her name to Veronica Lake. He used Veronica because "When I think about Veronica, I think about classic, and your beauty is a classical beauty," and Lake after her blue eyes. (Veronica was actually her mother's name.)

Her contract was subsequently dropped by RKO. She married art director John Detlie in 1940. Another small role in the comedy movie Forty Little Mothers brought unexpected attention. In 1941 she was signed to a long term contract by Paramount Pictures, was given her stage name Veronica Lake, and on August 21 gave birth to a daughter, Elaine Detlie.

An icon of the 1940s

Her breakthrough film was I Wanted Wings (1941), a major hit in which she played the second female lead and was said to have stolen scene after scene from the rest of the cast. This success was followed by another, Hold Back the Dawn (1941). She was soon regarded as a witty, intelligent and trend-setting actress and had starring roles in more popular movies including Sullivan's Travels (1941), This Gun for Hire (1942), I Married a Witch (1942, later used as a basis for the 1960s hit television series Bewitched), The Glass Key (1942) and So Proudly We Hail! (1943). I Married a Witch was a hit. Co-star Fredric March, probably annoyed by her need for multiple takes for many of their scenes together, started calling the movie "I married a bitch" and refused to talk about the experience or work with her again.

For a short time during the early 1940s, Veronica Lake was considered one of the most reliable box office draws in Hollywood and was also known for her onscreen pairings with actor Alan Ladd. At first, the couple was put together merely out of physical necessity: Alan Ladd was just 5' 5" (1.65 m) tall and the only girl then on the Paramount lot short enough to pair with him was Veronica, who stood just 5' 2½" (1.59 m). They were teamed together for four films. A stray lock of her shoulder-length blonde hair during a publicity photo shoot led to her iconic peekaboo hairstyle which hid one eye, and was widely imitated. During World War II, she changed her trademark image to encourage women working in war industry factories to adopt more practical, safer hairstyles. Some critics have speculated that the loss of her peekaboo look diminished the mystery and allure of her onscreen image, hurting her box office appeal. Given the fickle nature of movie audiences, there could have been some truth to this, but other factors were also at work.

Although widely popular with the public, Lake had a complex personality and she developed a reputation for being difficult to work with. Eddie Bracken, her co-star in Star Spangled Rhythm (1942), was quoted as saying "She was known as 'The Bitch' and she deserved the title." In that movie, Lake took part in a song lampooning her hair style, "A Sweater, A Sarong and a Peekaboo Bang" performed with Dorothy Lamour and Paulette Goddard, although part of Lake's vocals were dubbed.

Lake's career stumbled with her role as Nazi sympathizer Dora Bruckman in 1944's The Hour Before Dawn. During filming she tripped on a lighting cable and her second child was born prematurely on July 8, 1943. William Detlie died a week later from uremic poisoning and there are indications she may have deliberately attempted to miscarry him. By the end of 1943 her first marriage ended in divorce. Meanwhile, scathingly poor reviews of The Hour Before Dawn included criticism of her unconvincing German accent, which was said to have interfered disastrously with her acting.

Nevertheless, Lake was making $4,500 per week under her contract with Paramount when she married director André de Toth in 1944. Their son, André Michael de Toth III, was born October 25, 1945.

Lake is said to have begun drinking more heavily during this period and people began refusing to work with her. She had been seeing psychiatrists for years, but de Toth didn't approve, and according to one published account, once suggested that Veronica spend the $50 doctor's fee on a new hat instead.

Meanwhile, Paramount cast Lake in a string of mostly forgotten films. A notable exception was The Blue Dahlia (1946) in which she again co-starred with Alan Ladd (who reportedly was also less than fond of her). Paramount decided not to renew her contract in 1948.

Tragic spiral

Her fourth child, Diana de Toth, was born October 16, 1948. Lake was also sued by her mother for support payments that year. After a single film for 20th Century Fox, her career collapsed. By the end of 1952, she had appeared in one last film (Stronghold, which she later described as "a dog"), filed for bankruptcy, and divorced de Toth. The IRS seized the remainder of her assets for unpaid taxes. Lake resorted to television and stage work, and in 1955 married songwriter Joseph A. McCarthy.

After breaking her ankle in 1959, Lake was unable to continue working as an actress. She and McCarthy divorced, and she drifted between cheap hotels in Brooklyn and New York City and was arrested several times for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct.

A reporter found her working as a barmaid at the Martha Washington Hotel in Manhattan. At first Veronica explained that she was a guest at the hotel and covering for a friend. Soon afterward she admitted that she was employed at the bar. The reporter's widely distributed story led to some television and stage appearances. In 1966, she had a brief stint as a TV hostess in Baltimore, Maryland, along with a largely ignored film role (Footsteps in the Snow).

Her physical and mental health declined steadily and by the late 1960s Lake was in Hollywood, Florida, apparently immobilized by paranoia (which included claims she was being stalked by the FBI).

She published her autobiography Veronica amid much publicity and positive reviews. With the proceeds Lake co-produced and starred in her last film, Flesh Feast (1970), a very low budget horror movie with a Nazi-myth storyline.

She then moved to the UK, where she had a short-lived marriage with "English sea captain" Robert Carelton-Munro before returning to the US in 1973, having filed for divorce. Lake was immediately hospitalized and although she is said to have made a cheerful and positive impression on the nurses who cared for her, she had no guests or visitors and was destitute again.

Lake was 53 when she died of hepatitis and acute renal failure (complications of her alcoholism) near Burlington, Vermont. Her ashes were scattered off the Virgin Islands.

Lake has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6918 Hollywood Boulevard for her contributions to the motion picture industry.

Quotes

"I wasn't a sex symbol, I was a sex zombie."
"You could put all the talent I had into your left eye and still not suffer from impaired vision."
"I've reached a point in my life where it's the little things that matter... I was always a rebel and probably could have got much farther had I changed my attitude. But when you think about it, I got pretty far without changing attitudes. I'm happier with that." (1970)

Trivia

She is of Danish and Irish descent.
She was reportedly only 4 feet 11 inches (1.50 m) tall (although some accounts place her height two or three inches higher). According to Celebrity Sleuth magazine, Lake said her "measurements" were 33C - 21 1/2 - 33 1/2.
Many women are said to have damaged their hair while trying to imitate her platinum blonde color during the 1940s.[citation needed]
She learned to fly in 1946 and piloted her small plane from Los Angeles to New York in 1948.
Her close friendship with actress Rita Beery, former wife of actor Wallace Beery, has led to unconfirmed rumours she experimented with lesbianism.
She reportedly worked as a waitress in a White Coffee Pot restaurant in Baltimore during the early 1960s.
A somewhat bizarre twist came in 2004 when some of Lake's ashes were reportedly found in a New York antique store.[citation needed]
She appeared as herself in Variety Girl (1947), Duffy's Tavern (1945), Up in Arms (1944) (uncredited, in pin-up photo), Star Spangled Rhythm ("Sweater, Sarong & Peekaboo Bang" number) (1942), The Eyes Have It (1942), and in Hold Back the Dawn (1941).

References in popular culture

The Archie comics character Veronica Lodge was partially named after Veronica Lake, who was in the throes of her early celebrity when the comic book character was introduced in the spring of 1942.
Veronica Lake is also the name of a fictional lake located near the small town of Frostbite Falls, Minnesota (a parody of International Falls) on the animated Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
In 1997 the Academy Award-winning film L.A. Confidential paid homage to Lake's image and manner through Kim Basinger's starring role in an adaptation of James Ellroy's crime novel set in early 1950s Los Angeles. The movie also displayed Lake's photograph and mentioned about her. Another scene even included an image of Lake from This Gun for Hire screening in the background.
Peter Hammill's 2000 album None of the Above contains a song entitled 'Like Veronica', of which the opening line is "Wear your hair like Veronica Lake."
Britney Spears gave tribute to Veronica in her video of her single "Lucky".
Jessica Rabbit from Who Framed Roger Rabbit was designed after Veronica Lake. Jessica even sports the Veronica Lake trademark "Peek-a-Boo" hairstyle.
In the Family Guy episode "Deep Throats," in the restaurant scene Stewie is in drag with a Veronica Lake wig.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:55 am
Brian Keith

Brian Keith (November 14, 1921 - June 24, 1997) was an American stage, film and television actor.

Early life, military service

Brian Keith was born Robert Keith Richey, Jr. in Bayonne, New Jersey to actor Robert Keith and stage actress Helena Shipman (born in Aberdeen, Washington). He made his acting debut in a silent film, Pied Piper Malone (1924) at the age of 3. After high school, he joined the U.S. Marines (1942-1945) where he served during World War II as an aerial gunner and received an Air Medal.

Acting career

After the war, Keith became a stage actor, branching out into films and then television. His biggest break came in 1966 when he landed the role of "Uncle Bill" Davis on the popular television situation comedy Family Affair, a role that earned him three Emmy nominations for Best Actor. The show made him a household name. He went on to star in such television series as The Brian Keith Show, Heartland, and Hardcastle and McCormick. He also starred in the six-part television series The Zoo Gang, about a group of former underground freedom fighters from World War II, as "Stephen 'The Fox' Halliday". The show also starred Sir John Mills, Lilli Palmer, and Barry Morse.

Keith was a strong and capable actor, who spent many years playing second leads and gruff sidekicks but remains best known for Family Affair.

Personal Life and Death

Keith married three times, first to Frances Helm; then, in 1955, to Judith Landon; and finally, in 1970, to Hawaiian actress, Victoria Young (née Leialoha), who later appeared on The Brian Keith Show (1972-74) as Nurse Punani. Keith fathered a total of four children, but also adopted three others with Judith Landon. One of his children with Victoria Young was Daisy Keith, who also became an actress, appearing with her father in the short-lived series Heartland in 1989.

During the later part of his life, he suffered from emphysema and lung cancer, despite having quit smoking 10 years earlier (he had posed for Camel cigarettes in an endorsement campaign in 1955). Keith was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on June 24, 1997 at the age of 75, just two months after his daughter Daisy had also committed suicide.

He is buried next to Daisy at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles, California.

Kathy Garver, who played his niece Cissy in Family Affair, was asked about the tragic death of her costar. Her reply serves as a fitting obituary for Brian Keith: "It was so sad, but it was in line with who he was in real life. He was this very manly man, very in charge of his life, always doing things his way. When his daughter died and he was diagnosed with lung cancer and emphysema, and given only a few weeks to live, there was no way he was going to go out any way other than his way. I truly believe that." (Chicago Sun-Times, June 23, 2006).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:08 am
If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before.

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.

Not one shred of evidence supports
the notion that life is serious.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian
any more than going to a garage makes you a mechanic.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

For every action, there is an equal
and opposite government program.

If you look like your passport picture,
you probably need the trip.

Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

A conscience is what hurts when
all your other parts feel so good.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Middle age is when broadness of the mind and
narrowness of the waist change places.

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Junk is something you've kept for years and
throw away three weeks before you need it.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.

Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
for they shall never cease to be amused.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you
to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:54 am
To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:07 am
Well, folks, we know our hawkman has finished with the celebs when we get priceless one liners that say sooooo much. Love 'em, Boston. Will comment on your stars when Raggedy has appeared with her fantastic photo's. I really loved the movie, "LA Confidental", Bob, and thinking of Veronica Lake I did another search for the bio of Alan Ladd. More later about that.

Walter, how wonderful to see you back in our wee studio. What a pleasant surprise. (pssssst, what kind of cologne are you wearing? Razz )

Love that song, Germany, and the more one hears it, the more it becomes a truism. Thank you so much, my long time friend.

For you:

I rode my bicycle past your window last night
I roller skated to your door at daylight
It almost seems that you're avoiding me
I'm ok alone but you've got something I need

Well, I've gotta brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key
I think that we should get together
And try them out ya see
I've been lookin' around a while
You got somethin' for me
Oh, I gotta brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key

I ride my bike, I roller skate, don't drive no car
Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far
For somebody who don't drive I've been all around the world
Some people say I've done all right for a girl
Oh yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah, yeah-yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah-yeah

I asked your mother if you were at home
She said yes, but you weren't alone
Oh sometimes I think that your avoiding me
I'm ok alone but you got something I need well

I've gotta brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key
I think that we should get together
And try them out ya see
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
You got a brand new key

La, la, la, la, la, la
You got a brand new key

La, la, la, la, la, la
You got a brand new key

La, la, la, la, la, la
You got a brand new key
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:25 am
Good day WA2K.

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/film/2000/april00/DickPowell.JPGhttp://www.geocities.com/silentfilmbuff/images/LouiseBrooks.jpg
http://cinema-magazine.com/old_page/kako/kakogazo/veronica.jpghttp://www.thehighhat.com/Nitrate/002/peck_stable_keith.JPG
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:39 am
Well, there's our Raggedy. Good morning to you, PA. We're all in our places; with bright shiny faces. Razz

Well, there's Dick Powell. My gawd, folks, when's the last time that anyone ever saw a top hat? Now the vamp I simply do NOT know. I will have to check Bob's background on that one.

The last two are Veronica and Brian.

I had no idea that Brian went the way he did, but I most certainly understand why, frankly.

I was quite surprised when I did a search on Alan Ladd. There is some question about whether he overdosed; did himself in or there are more mysterious circumstances. We all know that his best performance by far was Shane, and I do suppose that dys is right. He was dead as Brandon called: "Shane, Shane, come back, Shane." That ending may well have been what made the movie more than superb, folks.

Well, always curious, I will go find a top hat song.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
Here it is, listeners. Anyone know what a swallow tail coat is?

just got an invitation through the mails:
"Your presence requested this evening,
It's formal, a top hat, a white tie and tails."
Nothing now could take the wind out of my sails.
Because I'm invited to step out this evening
With top hat and white tie and tails.
(chorus)
I'm puttin' on my top hat,
Tyin' up my white tie,
Brushin' off my tails.
I'm dudin' up my shirt front,
Puttin' in the shirt studs,
Polishin' my nails,
I'm steppin' out, my dear,
To breathe an atmosphere
That simply reeks with class;
And I trust that you'll excuse my dust
When I step on the gas,
For I'll be there,
Puttin' down my top hat,
Mussin' up my white tie,
Dancin' in my tails.

Polishing his nails?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:03 am
Good morning. Of cause I have been to France, but I have…

Never been to Spain
3 Dog Night lyrics

Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
The don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it

Well I never been to England
But I kinda like the Beatles
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles
Can you feel it
It must be real it
Feels so good
Oh, feels so good

Well I never been to heaven
But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there
But I really don't remember
In Oklahoma, not Arizona
What does it matter
What does it matter

Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it

Well I never been to heaven
But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there
But I really don't remember
In Oklahoma, not Arizona
What does it matter
What does it matter
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:14 am
Well, Try. You need to quit sleeping with dogs and fly to Spain. Razz

Why? because of those ladies with Spanish eyes:

Blue Spanish eyes teardrops are falling from your Spanish eyes
Please please don't cry, this is just adios and not good-bye
Soon I'll return, bringing you all the love your heart can hold
Please say "Si Si" say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me

Blue Spanish Eyes, prettiest eyes in all of Mexico
Blue Spanish Eyes, please smile for me once more before I go

Uh,uh,uh
Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh
Say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me
Say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me

That version is by the man with too many teeth. Guess who that is.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:47 pm
Aaah Letty. You should listen to Al Martino's recording of Blue Spanish Eyes. That was his song.

But, I guess you tuned into:

http://www.lyricsvault.net/halloffame/EngelbertHumperdinck.jpg

Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
Hilarious, Raggedy. Englebert, what big teeth you have. Sheeze, gal. I'm trying to remember what Al sang. Lemme check it out.

My word, PA. He was Frank Sinatra's counterpart in The Godfather. Yikes.

Here are the words to the theme:

Artist: Al Martino
Song: Speak softly love
Album: Concert Collection

Speak softly love
And hold me warm against your heart
I feel your words
The tender trembling moments start

We're in our world
Our very own
Sharing a love that only
Few have ever known

Wine colored days, warmed by the sun
Deep velvet nights, when we are one

Speak softly love
So no one hears us but the sky
The vows of love we make
Will live until we die

My life is yours
And all because
You came into my world with
Love so softly love

[Musical interlude]

Speak softly love
So no one hears us but the sky
The vows of love we make
Will live until we die

My life is yours
And all because
You came into my world with
Love so softly love
Shocked
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:13 pm
Yep. And Al's the sweet guy who signed an album and wrote a separate note for my daughter when we were in a record store many years ago.

He has a lovely recording of Dear Heart. But, that song always makes me cry.
0 Replies