WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
John Philip Sousa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Philip Sousa (November 6, 1854 - March 6, 1932), popularly known as "The March King", was an American composer and conductor of the late Romantic era known particularly for American military marches.

Early life

Sousa was born in Washington, D.C., to John António de Sousa and Maria Elisabeth Trinkhaus. His parents were of Portuguese and Bavarian (German) descent. John first learned the violin beginning at age 6. He was found to have absolutely perfect pitch. When the young Sousa reached the age of 13, his father, a trombonist in the Marine Band, enlisted his son in the United States Marine Corps as an apprentice. The boy soon attempted to run away and join a circus. John served his apprenticeship for seven years, until 1875, apparently learning to play all the wind instruments, and maintaining his skills on the violin.

Several years later, John left his apprenticeship to join a theatrical (pit) orchestra where he learned to conduct. He returned to the U.S. Marine Band as its head in 1880, and remained as its conductor until 1892. Sousa also led the marching band of Gonzaga College High School.

Sousa organized his own band in 1892. It toured widely, and in 1900, represented the United States at the Paris Exposition before touring Europe. Sousa repeatedly refused to conduct on the radio, fearing a lack of personal contact with the audience. He was finally persuaded to do so in 1929 and became a smash hit.

Music

Marches

He wrote well over 100 marches; some of his most popular are:

"Semper Fidelis" (1888) (Official March of the United States Marine Corps)
"The Washington Post March" (1889)
"The Thunderer" (1889)
"The Liberty Bell" (1893) (credits theme for Monty Python's Flying Circus)
"Manhattan Beach March" (1893)
"King Cotton" (1892)
"The Stars and Stripes Forever" (1896) (National March of the United States)
"El Capitan" (1896)
"Hands Across the Sea" (1899)
"Fairest of the Fair" (1908)
"U.S. Field Artillery" (1917)
"The Gallant Seventh" (1922)
"The Black Horse Troop" (1924)
"Processional (Wedding March)"
The marching brass bass, or sousaphone, is named after him.

Operettas

The Queen of Hearts (1885), also known as Royalty and Roguery
The Smugglers (1882)
Desiree (1883)
El Capitan (1895)
The Bride Elect (1897), libretto by Sousa.
The Charlatan (1898), also known as The Mystical Miss, lyrics by Sousa.
Chris and the Wonderful Lamp (1899)
The Free Lance (1905)
The American Maid (1909), also known as The Glass Blowers.

These operettas which Gervase Hughes calls "notable" (1) also show a variety of French, Viennese and British influences. (In his younger days, Sousa made an orchestration of HMS Pinafore and played the first violin on the American tour of Jacques Offenbach.) The music of these operettas is light and cheerful. The Glass Blowers and Desirée have had revivals, the latter having been released on CD like El Capitan, the best known of them. El Capitan has been in production somewhere in the world ever since it was written and makes fun of false heroes. Still more outspoken against militarism is The Free Lance, the story of two kingdoms becoming united, which found its way to Germany (as "Der Feldhauptmann") by the time the Berlin Wall came down.

Marches and waltzes have been derived from many of these stage-works. Sousa also composed the music for six operettas that were either unfinished or not produced: The Devils' Deputy, Florine, The Irish Dragoon, Katherine, The Victory, and The Wolf.

In addition, Sousa wrote The Mikado march, the elegant overture of Our Flirtations, a number of musical suites, etc.

(1) Gervase Hughes,Composers of Operetta, New York, 1962

Sousa the Freemason

One year after the 1882 Transit of Venus, Sousa was commissioned to compose a processional for the unveiling of a bronze statue of American physicist Joseph Henry, who had died in 1878. Henry, who had developed the first electric motor, was also the first secretary of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

A Freemason, Sousa was fascinated by what the group considered mystical qualities in otherwise natural phenomena. According to Sten Odenwald of the NASA IMAGE Science Center[1], this played a significant role in the selection of the time and date of the performance, April 19, 1883, at 4:00 P.M. Dr. Odenwald points out that Venus and Mars, invisible to the participants, were setting in the west. At the same time, the moon, Uranus, and Virgo were rising in the east, Saturn had crossed the meridian, and Jupiter was directly overhead. According to Masonic lore, Venus was associated with the element copper, and Joseph Henry had used large quantities of copper to build his electric motors.

The "Transit of Venus March" never caught on during Sousa's lifetime. It went unplayed for more than 100 years, after Sousa's copies of the music were destroyed in a flood. As reported in The Washington Post, Library of Congress employee Loras Schissel recently found copies of the old sheet music for Venus "languishing in the library's files."[2] The piece was resurrected recently, in time for the 2004 Transit.

Sousa also composed a march, "Nobles of the Mystic Shrine", dedicated to the high degree freemasonry Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.

Other writing, skills, and interests

Sousa exhibited many talents aside from music. He wrote five novels and a full length autobiography as well as a great number of articles and letters-to-the-editor on a variety of subjects. As a trapshooter, he ranks as one of the all-time greats, and his skill as a horseman met championship criteria.

In his 1902 novel The Fifth String a young violinist makes a deal with the Devil for a magic violin with five strings. The strings can excite the emotions of Pity, Hope, Love & Joy- the 5th string is Death & can be played only once before causing the player's own death. He has a brilliant career but cannot win the love of the woman he desires. At a final concert he plays upon the death string.

In 1920 he wrote another work called The Transit of Venus, a 40,000-word prose story. It is about a group of misogynists called the Alimony Club who, as a way of temporarily escaping the society of women, embark on a sea voyage to observe the transit of Venus. The captain's niece, however, has stowed away on board and soon wins over the men. [3]

Sousa held a very low opinion of the emerging and upstart recording industry. In a submission to a congressional hearing in 1906, he argued that:

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy...in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.
Law professor Lawrence Lessig cited this passage to argue that in creating a system of copyrights in which control of music is in the hands of recording studios, Sousa was essentially correct.

Sousa's antipathy to recording was such that he refused to conduct his band if it was being recorded. Every recording of the Sousa band made before 1929 was made under Arthur Pryor's baton.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:11 am
Sally Field

Birth name Sally Margaret Field Mahoney
Born November 6, 1946 (age 60)
Pasadena, California, USA

Academy
Awards Best Actress, 1979
Norma Rae,
Best Actress, 1984

Places in the Heart

Sally Margaret Field Mahoney (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Sally Fields) (born November 6, 1946 in Pasadena, California) is an American actress who is a two-time Academy Award and Golden Globe winner; she is also a two-time Emmy Award winner who became a household name at age 20 as Sister Bertrille in the 1960s sitcom, The Flying Nun. She is currently starring as grieving matriarch Nora Walker on the ABC drama, Brothers & Sisters, which also features Calista Flockhart and Rachel Griffiths.

Early life

Field was born in Pasadena, California. Her parents, Richard Dryden Field and Margaret Field (a Southern-born actress), divorced in 1950. Her mother subsequently remarried, to former stuntman Jock Mahoney.

She attended Birmingham High School in Van Nuys, California; among her fellow classmates were famed financier Michael Milken, fellow actress Cindy Williams (of Laverne and Shirley fame), and the sons of the legendary Steve Allen.

Career

Early television roles

Field got her start on television, starring as the boy-struck surfer girl in the mid-1960s series Gidget. She then went on to star in her best known television role, as Sister Bertrille in The Flying Nun. Field also appeared in The Girl with Something Extra.

She had several guest appearances, including a recurring role on the western comedy Alias Smith and Jones starring Pete Duel (whom she worked with on Gidget) and Ben Murphy.

Sybil

Having played mostly comic characters on television, Field had a difficult time being cast in dramatic roles. She studied with famed acting teacher Lee Strasberg. Soon after, Field landed the title role in the 1976 TV film Sybil.

Field's dramatic portrayal of Sybil, a young woman afflicted with multiple personality syndrome in the TV film not only garnered her an Emmy Award in 1977, but also enabled her to break through the typecasting she had experienced from television roles.

Film roles

Field had a number of critical and commercial successes in movies, particularly in the 1980s.

In 1979, she starred as a union organizer in Norma Rae, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 1981, Field played a prostitute opposite Tommy Lee Jones in the South-set comedy Back Roads, which received middling reviews and grossed $11 million at the box office.[1]

She won another Oscar in 1985 for her starring role in Places in the Heart; her gushing acceptance speech is well remembered for its earnestness. In it, Field stated "I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" [1]. The line ending in "...I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" is often misremembered as simply "You like me, you really like me!" which has subsequently been the subject of many parodies. (Field parodied the line herself in a commercial.)

She has had supporting roles in other movies, including Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) in which she played the wife of Robin Williams and the love interest of Pierce Brosnan followed by Forrest Gump (1994).

Recent roles

On television, Field has a recurring role on ER as Dr. Abby Lockhart's bipolar mother, for which she won an Emmy in 2001. She also starred in the very short-lived 2002 series The Court.

Field has also ventured into the realm of directing. Her first directorial stint was for the television film, The Christmas Tree (1996). She also directed the feature film Beautiful (2000), as well as an episode of the TV mini-series, From the Earth to the Moon (1998).

Field was a late addition to the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters, which debuted in September 2006. In the show's pilot, the role of matriarch Nora Walker had been played by noted actress Betty Buckley. However, the producers of the show decided to take the character of Nora in another direction, and Field was cast in the role.

Private life

Field dated Burt Reynolds for many years. She was first married to Steven Craig from 1968 to 1975. In 1984, she married Alan Greisman; the couple divorced in 1993.

Field has two sons from her first marriage; son Peter Craig is a novelist. Her third son, Sam Greisman, is from her marriage to Alan Greisman.

Health

In 2005, Field was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Her diagnosis led her to create the "Rally With Sally For Bone Health" campaign with support from Roche and GlaxoSmithKline that co-promote Boniva, a treatment for osteoporosis. [citation needed]

Trivia

While starring on The Flying Nun, Sally tried her hand at singing, releasing an album in 1968 and cracking the Billboard Hot 100 with one single, "Felicidad", in 1967.
Field appeared on the cover of the March 1986 issue of Playboy magazine. She was the "Interview" subject in that month's issue. (She did not appear as a pictorial subject inside the magazine).
She has a "Feynman Number" of two, since her brother, theoretical physicist Rick Field, worked with Richard Feynman in the late 1970s.
Field has testified with Jane Fonda, Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek before a Congressional committee about farm problems.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:15 am
Sally Field

Birth name Sally Margaret Field Mahoney
Born November 6, 1946 (age 60)
Pasadena, California, USA

Academy
Awards Best Actress, 1979
Norma Rae,
Best Actress, 1984
Places in the Heart

Sally Margaret Field Mahoney (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Sally Fields) (born November 6, 1946 in Pasadena, California) is an American actress who is a two-time Academy Award and Golden Globe winner; she is also a two-time Emmy Award winner who became a household name at age 20 as Sister Bertrille in the 1960s sitcom, The Flying Nun. She is currently starring as grieving matriarch Nora Walker on the ABC drama, Brothers & Sisters, which also features Calista Flockhart and Rachel Griffiths.

Early life

Field was born in Pasadena, California. Her parents, Richard Dryden Field and Margaret Field (a Southern-born actress), divorced in 1950. Her mother subsequently remarried, to former stuntman Jock Mahoney.

She attended Birmingham High School in Van Nuys, California; among her fellow classmates were famed financier Michael Milken, fellow actress Cindy Williams (of Laverne and Shirley fame), and the sons of the legendary Steve Allen.

Career

Early television roles

Field got her start on television, starring as the boy-struck surfer girl in the mid-1960s series Gidget. She then went on to star in her best known television role, as Sister Bertrille in The Flying Nun. Field also appeared in The Girl with Something Extra.

She had several guest appearances, including a recurring role on the western comedy Alias Smith and Jones starring Pete Duel (whom she worked with on Gidget) and Ben Murphy.

Sybil

Having played mostly comic characters on television, Field had a difficult time being cast in dramatic roles. She studied with famed acting teacher Lee Strasberg. Soon after, Field landed the title role in the 1976 TV film Sybil.

Field's dramatic portrayal of Sybil, a young woman afflicted with multiple personality syndrome in the TV film not only garnered her an Emmy Award in 1977, but also enabled her to break through the typecasting she had experienced from television roles.

Film roles

Field had a number of critical and commercial successes in movies, particularly in the 1980s.

In 1979, she starred as a union organizer in Norma Rae, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 1981, Field played a prostitute opposite Tommy Lee Jones in the South-set comedy Back Roads, which received middling reviews and grossed $11 million at the box office.[1]

She won another Oscar in 1985 for her starring role in Places in the Heart; her gushing acceptance speech is well remembered for its earnestness. In it, Field stated "I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" [1]. The line ending in "...I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" is often misremembered as simply "You like me, you really like me!" which has subsequently been the subject of many parodies. (Field parodied the line herself in a commercial.)

She has had supporting roles in other movies, including Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) in which she played the wife of Robin Williams and the love interest of Pierce Brosnan followed by Forrest Gump (1994).

Recent roles

On television, Field has a recurring role on ER as Dr. Abby Lockhart's bipolar mother, for which she won an Emmy in 2001. She also starred in the very short-lived 2002 series The Court.

Field has also ventured into the realm of directing. Her first directorial stint was for the television film, The Christmas Tree (1996). She also directed the feature film Beautiful (2000), as well as an episode of the TV mini-series, From the Earth to the Moon (1998).

Field was a late addition to the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters, which debuted in September 2006. In the show's pilot, the role of matriarch Nora Walker had been played by noted actress Betty Buckley. However, the producers of the show decided to take the character of Nora in another direction, and Field was cast in the role.

Private life

Field dated Burt Reynolds for many years. She was first married to Steven Craig from 1968 to 1975. In 1984, she married Alan Greisman; the couple divorced in 1993.

Field has two sons from her first marriage; son Peter Craig is a novelist. Her third son, Sam Greisman, is from her marriage to Alan Greisman.

Health

In 2005, Field was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Her diagnosis led her to create the "Rally With Sally For Bone Health" campaign with support from Roche and GlaxoSmithKline that co-promote Boniva, a treatment for osteoporosis. [citation needed]

Trivia

While starring on The Flying Nun, Sally tried her hand at singing, releasing an album in 1968 and cracking the Billboard Hot 100 with one single, "Felicidad", in 1967.
Field appeared on the cover of the March 1986 issue of Playboy magazine. She was the "Interview" subject in that month's issue. (She did not appear as a pictorial subject inside the magazine).
She has a "Feynman Number" of two, since her brother, theoretical physicist Rick Field, worked with Richard Feynman in the late 1970s.
Field has testified with Jane Fonda, Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek before a Congressional committee about farm problems.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:19 am
Lori Singer

Lori Jacqueline Singer (born on November 6, 1957) is an American actress.

Singer was born in Corpus Christi, Texas to Canadian Jewish immigrant parents, Jacques Singer, a conductor, and Leslie, a pianist. Her brothers are actor Marc Singer and violinist and rare instrument dealer Gregory Singer, and her cousin is director Bryan Singer.

She is known for her role as Ariel Moore, Reverend Shaw Moore's daughter in the 1984 dance film Footloose. She also starred in the films The Falcon and the Snowman, The Man with One Red Shoe and Summer Heat.

Lori Singer starred in the TV series Fame from 1982 to 1983 as Julie Miller and the short-lived science fiction series called VR.5. She also played cellist Zoe Trainer in Robert Altman's Short Cuts; she played the cello herself in the film.

Furthermore, she featured in Sarabande, a 1997 film by Atom Egoyan, along with Arsinée Khanjian and Yo-Yo Ma. The movie was part of Ma's Inspired by Bach series.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
Ethan Hawke

Ethan Green Hawke (born November 6, 1970) is an Academy Award nominated American actor, writer and film director.

Early life

Hawke was born in Austin, Texas, to James Steven Hawke and Leslie Carole Green, who were students at the University of Texas at the time of his birth, and separated three years later; Hawke's great-grandfather was the brother of Cornelius Williams [citation needed], who was the father of well-known playwright Tennessee Williams. At an early age, Hawke moved to Princeton, New Jersey with his single mother, where he took acting classes at the McCarter Theatre and attended the West Windsor-Plainsboro High School (now West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South) and the Hun School of Princeton. He first appeared in various high school performances, including George Bernard Shaw's Saint Joan.

Career

At the age of fourteen he made his feature film debut in Joe Dante's Explorers (1985). Hawke studied acting at the British Theatre Association in England and at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He has twice enrolled in New York University's English program and is one of the founding fathers and artistic director of Malaparte, a former New York City theatre company. Malaparte productions included A Joke!; Wild Dogs; Good Evening; Sons and Fathers; It Changes Every Year; Veins and Thumbtacks; Hesh; and The Great Unwashed. He also attended the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn.

In 1988, Hawke was cast in a role in director Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society; the film's success was considered Hawke's breakthrough. He left school and appeared in A Midnight Clear, Alive, Reality Bites, Before Sunrise, Gattaca, The Newton Boys, Great Expectations and many other movies. In 2001, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Training Day.

Hawke directed Chelsea Walls and has written two novels, The Hottest State (in 1996) and Ash Wednesday (in 2002), which received a nomination from The Guardian for worst sex scene of the year.[1] In 2005, he received his first screenwriting Oscar nomination for co-writing the 2004 film, Before Sunset (a sequel to Before Sunrise).

On March 26, 2006 Hawke's personal business office in New York City was destroyed by a fast-moving fire. He was in the middle of directing and starring in a movie version of his first novel, The Hottest State. The fire broke out in a newly renovated office on the second floor of the office building and the blaze quickly spread to the fifth floor. It destroyed Hawke's fourth-floor office and his post-production studio. Master tapes and negatives from Hawke's film were being stored off-site and were reportedly not destroyed by the fire.

In the summer of 2006, he shot the Sidney Lumet film "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" with Marisa Tomei, Albert FInney, and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

From October 2006 until March 2007, he is in The Coast of Utopia by Tom Stoppard at the Lincoln Center, playing Mikhail Bakunin.

Private life

On May 1, 1998, Hawke married actress Uma Thurman. The couple had two children, daughter Maya Ray (born July 8, 1998) and son Levon Roan (born January 15, 2002). They separated in July 2004 and divorced in 2005. Hawke began dating Canadian model Jen Perzow before separation, but said the affair was not the cause of the split.[1]

Hawke lives on a small peninsula located in Tracadie, Nova Scotia. This land was purchased before his divorce from Thurman as a family retreat. He is currently in the process of buying a large nearby farm and converting it into a celebrity resort.

He is a Democrat.[citation needed]

His family includes father James Hawke, half-brothers Matt and Sam, and stepmother Gay. James is a high ranking official at Conseco.

His mother, Leslie Hawke, has been honored for her ongoing humanitarian work in Romania, where she first went as a member of the Peace Corps. She is involved in charity work associated with orphans in that country.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
On this date in
1982 : A woman ices her husband with anti-freeze

Shirley Allen is arrested for poisoning her husband, Lloyd Allen, with ethyl glycol, commonly known as anti-freeze. After witnessing her mother spike Lloyd's drinks with the deadly substance, Shirley's own daughter turned her in to the authorities.

Lloyd Allen was Shirley's sixth husband and the second to die from mysterious causes; the other four had divorced her. John Gregg, who died a year after he married Shirley in 1977, had changed the beneficiary on his life insurance policy shortly before his death. Shirley was outraged to find that she was left with nothing.

Lloyd, who had complained of a strange taste in his beverages, believed Shirley when she said that it was an iron supplement for his health. However, Joe Sinclair, a previous husband, was a bit more suspicious. When his coffee tasted odd on several occasions, he went to the police. Although he suffered internal injuries, no charges were ever filed. Instead, he filed for a divorce.

When Allen's death was investigated, toxicology reports confirmed that his body tissue contained a lethal amount of ethyl glycol. After a short four-day trial, Shirley Allen was sentenced to life in prison in 1983.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:12 am
I don't wanna do the dishes,
I don't wanna do the wash,
I sprinkled clothes a week ago
And now my iron is lost!

I don't wanna clean the pots,
I don't wanna rattle pans,
I wanna read my e-mail,
And chat with all my friends!

The table needs some dusting
and the floor could sure be mopped,
But I know if I get started
There'll be no place to stop.

The closets are so full
Things are falling off the shelves,
I wish for cleaning fairies
And magic laundry elves!

They could sprinkle fairy dust
And twitch their little nose,
And the windows would be sparkling
And I'd have no dirty clothes.

I don't know what I'm saying,
My head is in the sky,
I must cook that meat that's graying
And bake that apple pie!

My husband needs a flea bath,
The dogs need some attention
Oh, the other way around I mean!
My brain is in suspension!

I am running round in circles,
I am getting nothing done,
I keep thinking of the internet,
I'm missing all the fun!

I know I'm not addicted
Though I hear that all the time.
But I guess this stuff will have to wait,
'Cause today I'll be ONLINE!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:13 am
Although our BioBob is not completely through, Here's a song that may, not only fit the "iced man", but also serve a dual purpose, dys:

Irene Cara
» Fame

Baby look at me
And tell me what you see.
You ain't seen the best of me yet
Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest.
I got a story, and you can set it free
I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am?
Chorus:
Remember my name (Fame)
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly (High)
I feel it coming together
People will see me and die (Fame)
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame (Fame)
I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name
Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember,
Remember, Remember, Remember, Remember
Baby hold me tight
And you can make it right.
You can shoot me straight to the top
Give me love and take all I got.
Baby I'm in love
Too much is not enough
I surround your heart to embrace
You know I got what it takes.
Repeat chorus

Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:16 am
There's a high flyin' bird, flying way up in the sky,
And I wonder if she looks down, as she goes on by?
Well, she's flying so freely in the sky.

Lord, look at me here,
I'm rooted like a tree here,
Got those sit-down,
can't cry Oh Lord, gonna die blues.

Now the sun it comes up and lights up the day,
And when he gets tired, Lord, he goes on down his way,
To the east and to the west,
He meets God every day.

Lord, look at me here,
Got those sit-down, can't cry
Oh Lord, gonna die blues.

Now I had a woman
Lord, she lived down by the mine,
She ain't never seen the sun,
Oh Lord, never stopped crying.

Then one day my woman up and died,
Lord, she up and died now.
Oh Lord, she up and died now.
She wanted to die,
And the only way to fly is die, die, die.

There's a high flyin' bird, flying way up in the sky,
And I wonder if she looks down as she goes on by?
Well, she's flying so freely in the sky.

Lord, look at me here,
Got those sit-down, can't cry,
Oh, Lord, gonna die blues.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
Hey, hawkman. Love that song, Boston, and the only matching one that I can think of is being put on hold for over ONE hour on the phone.

Well, dys, I feel that one, cowboy. I just put up my own little prayer to the God of the Bible Belt. Rolling Eyes

Found this cult song, listeners, and it does include Sally Fields, so let's listen:

The Fall Guy

Well, I'm not the kind to kiss and tell,
But I've been seen with Farrah.
I'm never seen with anything less than a nine, so fine.

I've been on fire with Sally Field,
Gone fast with a girl named Bo,
But somehow they just don't end up as mine.

It's a death defyin' life I lead,
I take my chances.
I die for a livin' in the movies and TV.
But the hardest thing I ever do
Is watch my leadin' ladies
Kiss some other guy while I'm bandagin' my knee.

I might fall from a tall building,
I might roll a brand new car.
'Cause I'm the unknown stuntman that made Redford such a star.

I never spend much time in school
But I taught ladies plenty.
It's true I hire my body out for pay, Hey Hey.

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I end up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey.

I might jump an open drawbridge,
Or Tarzan from a vine.
'Cause I'm the unknown stuntman that makes Eastwood look so fine.

Laughing
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:07 am
Good morning,

Jenny Take A Ride
Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels

Hey!
Oh see, see see rider
Oh see, what you have done now
Oh see, see see rider
I said see, what you have done now
Ahh You made me love you
now,now,now your man has gone

Oh, I'm going with my baby
And I won't be back til fall yeah
Oh, I'm going with my baby
And I won't be back til fall yeah
And if I find me a new girl,
I won't be back at all

Ah Jenny Jenny Jenny
wont you come along with me
(Jenny Jenny whoo Jenny Jenny)
Jenny Jenny Jenny
I worry bout you baby (?spendin nights in misery?)

Spinnin', spinnin' spinnin'
spinnin' like a spinnin' top
Spinnin', spinnin' spinnin'
spinnin' like a spinnin' top
Come along baby (?...feelin' love?)

Whoo

Yeah see, see see rider
Oh see, what you have done now
Oh see, see see rider
Ah come on see, what you have done now
Ahh You made me love you
now,now,now,now your man has gone

Ah Jenny Jenny Jenny
Jenny Jenny Jenny
Come along girl (??)

Spin spin spinnin like a spinnin top
Spin spin spinnin like a spinnin top
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
Good morning to you as well, Try. Isn't a Jenny a female mule? <smile>

Thanks for the song, buddy.

I found an interesting bio, myself, listeners:

BIOGRAPHY FOR JAMES (JIM) A. COSGROVE
A scuba diver for more than 40 years and a certified diving instructor since 1971, Jim has long been interested in the plants and animals of the ocean. An accomplished underwater photographer and videographer, Jim and his wife own and operate J & J DIVERS, a company devoted to assisting underwater image makers. They have been involved in numerous projects producing documentary television programs as well as scientific and popular articles about the Giant Pacific Octopus. Jim has served, since 1973, as the Diving Safety Officer at the University of Victoria and is a founding member of the Canadian Association for Underwater Science. After obtaining a Bachelor and Master of Science degree (Marine Biology) Jim worked for 10 years in the Biology Department of a community college before moving, in 1987, to a new position at the Royal British Columbia Museum. Jim is currently the Chief of Natural History Collections at the Royal British Columbia Museum. He supervises a staff of 7 who care for more than half a million specimens. Jim resides in Victoria with his wife and daughter.

Victoria, British Columbia,
CANADA

and here's his driving song:

Little Red Wagon
Words and music by Jim Cosgrove (ASCAP)
My-my-my little red wagon, man it moves really fast. Go Red Wagon!
Cruisin' down the sidewalk having a blast. Go Red Wagon!
Yeah it moves, and it grooves. Little Red wagon.
My-my-my little red wagon is the best on the block. Go Red wagon!
It's slick and clean, man it really rocks. Go red wagon!
Yeah it moves, and it grooves. Little Red wagon.
I strap on the helmet and hop inside. Grab ahold of the handle and get ready to fly.
My sister gets a running start and gives me a push. C'mon jump in, but look out for that bush!
My-my-my dog likes to ride in the wagon with me. Go red wagon!
He wiggles and slobbers and barks with glee. Go red wagon!
I'm gonna cruise in this wagon for the rest of my life. Go red wagon!
Well, at least until I'm old enough to drive. Go red wagon!
Yeah it moves, and it grooves! Up and down the avenues!
Yeah it moves, and it grooves, Little red wagon!!!!

Hey, out there. Who wants a ride in MY little red wagon?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:38 am
Good morning. A good day to all and a Happy Birthday to Sally Field and Ethan Hawke.

http://eiconline.org/celeb/images/field.jpg
http://www.jjcollectibles.com/prod_images_large/hawke.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:51 am
Well, folks. There's our Raggedy with a duet of celeb's. Ethan Hawke is a good looking kid. Perhaps that is why I am not familiar with him. Thanks, PA, now I will have to go back and review our other good looking hawkman's bio. Razz

Noticed that our dys loves Roberta Flack, so let's do him a song by her and it's all about the face that Diane love to touch. <smile>

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
To the night and the empty skies my love
To the night and the empty skies

The first time ever I kissed your mouth
I felt the earth turn in my hand
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command my love
That was there at my command

The first time ever I lay with you
And felt your heart beat close to mine
I thought our joy would fill the earth
And would last 'till the end of time my love
And would last 'till the end of time

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
To the night and the empty skies my love
To the night and the empty skies

Looks as though a lot of folks did that one as well, including Johnny Cash.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:07 pm
and this song, folks, is dedicated to hingehead.

Here 'ya go, buddy:

Brian Eno
Julie With (.....ahhhh) <smile>

I am on an open sea
Just drifting as the hours go slowly by
Julie with her open blouse
Is gazing up into the empty sky.
Now it seems to be so strange here
Now it's so blue
The still sea is darker than before...
No wind disturbs our coloured sail
The radio is silent, so are we
Julie's head is on her arm
Her fingers brush the surface of the sea.
Now I wonder if we'll be seen here
Or if time has left us all alone
The still sea is darker than before...

Great sea song, hinge.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
Positively Van Gogh
(Most Probably Van Gogh / The Painting by Van Gogh / Definitely Not Van Gogh)
Bob Dylan © 1966

When I'd ask why the painting was deadly
Nobody could pick up my sign
'Cept for the cook she was always friendly
But she'd only ask "What's on your mind?''
She'd say that especially when it was raining
I'd say "Oh, I don't know''
But then she'd press and I'd say, "See that painting?
Do you think it's been done by Van Gogh?''

The cook she said, "Call her Maria''
She'd always point for the slim boy to come forth
Saying, "He trades cattle it's his own idea
And he also makes trips to the north.
Have you ever seen his naked 'Cathleen'
I'd say, "Oh no, why does it show?''
And she'd whisper in my ear that he's a half breed
And I'd say, "It's fine but can he paint like Van Gogh?''

I can't remember his name, he never gave it
When I always figured he could go home
Till when he gave me his card and said, "Save it''
I could see by his eyes he was alone
And it was sad how his four leaf clover,
Drawn on his calling card showed
That it was given back to him a million times over,
And it most definitely was not done by Van Gogh.

You know she often came just to please me
Though I sensed she could not understand
And she made a thing out of it by saying, "Go easy,
He's a straight, but he's a very crooked straight man''
And I'd say, "Does the girl in the calendar doubt it?
And by the way is it Marilyn Monroe?''
But she just spit softly and said, "Why do you wanna know about it?''
And I'd say, "I was just wondering if she ever sat for Van Gogh.''

It was either her or the straight man who introduced me
To Jeanette, Camilla's friend
Who later on falsely accused me of stealing her locket and her pen
And I said, "I don't have the locket''
She said, "You'd steal pictures of everybody's mother, I know''
And I said, "There's no locket, no picture of any mother I would pocket,
Unless it's been done by Van Gogh.''

Camilla's house, it's stood on the outskirts
How strange to see the chandeliers destroy
While patiently he fills her coffee
Of foxhunts and ?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:32 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors. Today is election day in America. Why am I not excited?

edgar, that Dylan song was almost as esoteric as the painter himself. Really liked that, Texas.

Anyone here know what a will o the wisp is?

K.D.Lang does, and so does an artist named Hughes.

http://www.artmagick.com/images/content/hughes/hi/1.jpg

How's that for a dark morning message?

Song to follow, folks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:46 am
One of my very favorite songs, listeners:

Skylark
Have you anything to say to me
Won't you tell me where my love can be
Is there a meadow in the mist
Where someone's waiting to be kissed

Oh skylark
Have you seen a valley green with spring
Where my heart can go a-journeying
Over the shadows and the rain
To a blossom-covered lane

And in your lonely flight
Haven't you heard the music in the night
Wonderful music
Faint as a will o' the wisp
Crazy as a loon
Sad as a gypsy serenading the moon

Oh skylark
I don't know if you can find these things
But my heart is riding on your wings
So if you see them anywhere
Won't you lead me there
Oh skylark
Won't you lead me there
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:53 am
Look what they've done to my song, ma
Look what they've done to my song
Well it's the only thing that I could do half right
And it's turning out all wrong, ma
Look what they've done to my song.

Look what they've done to my brain, ma
Look what they've done to my brain
Well they picked it like a chicken bone
And I think I'm half insane, ma

I wish I could find a good book to live in
Wish I could find a good book
Will if I cold find a real good book
I'd never have to come out and look

It'll be all right ma, maybe it'll be okay
Well if the people are buying tears I'll be rich someday, ma

Ils ont change ma chanson ma
Ils ont change ma chanson
C'est la seule chose que je peuz faire
Et ce n'est pas bon ma
Ils ont change ma chanson.

Well they tied it up in a plastic bag and they turned it upside down
Look what they've done to my song, ma.

It's the only thing I could do all right and they turned it upside down
Look what they've done to my song, ma.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:56 am
Dear Letty, while it's true that Robert Flack did an outstanding reditiion of First time ever I saw you face, it was Gordon Lighfoot that penned the song.
0 Replies