WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:36 pm
Well, Mr. Turtle. How did you sneak in here without my seeing you. You need to invite J.M. to visit us as well.

That is one eerie song, but beautiful, M.D. Love it!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:05 pm
today was the last play of the summerseason(not much summer left here !) at the 'thousand island playhouse (it's right on the st. lawrence river).
to keep us 'warm' over the winter , the play was 'sexy laundry' !
the play sure got us heated up ! lots of laughs from young and old .
now we'll have to find entertainment locally - probably will attend concerts of the kingston symphony .

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/sexyl.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:51 pm
hamburger, I'm taking a copy of your manual and going to bed, Canada. Love it! Razz

Goodnight all.

From dummy Letty with love
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:04 pm
Hamburger, that play sounds like great fun! It brought to mind the movie with Alan Alda and (I think) Ellen Burstyn, Same Time Next Year. That was another that had both hilarious and tender moments.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:01 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors. Well, Diane, I need to refresh my memory on that one, honey, but first how about a morning poem:

Morning Poem

Every morning

the world

is created.

Under the orange

sticks of the sun

the heaped

ashes of the night

turn into leaves again

and fasten themselves to the high branches ---

and the ponds appear

like black cloth

on which are painted islands

of summer lilies.

If it is your nature

to be happy

you will swim away along the soft trails

for hours, your imagination

alighting everywhere.

And if your spirit

carries within it

the thorn

that is heavier than lead ---

if it's all you can do

to keep on trudging ---

there is still

somewhere deep within you

a beast shouting that the earth

is exactly what it wanted ---

each pond with its blazing lilies

is a prayer heard and answered

lavishly,

every morning,

whether or not

you have ever dared to be happy,

whether or not

you have ever dared to pray.

from Dream Work (1986) by Mary Oliver

© Mary Oliver
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:37 am
Good early morning everyone. Spare a thought for…

THE BOXER
SIMON & GARFUNKEL -

I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocket full of mumbles such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station running scared
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places only they would know

Lie la lie
Lie la la la la la la lie
Lie la la la lie

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there

Lie la lie
Lie la la la lie

Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me
Bleeding me, going home

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that layed him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Lie la lie
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:50 am
and good early morning to you, Try. Ah, boxing-the cruel sport. Love this one by Dylan, however:

Ugliest Girl in the World
(Bob Dylan and Robert Hunter)

The woman that I love she got a hook in her nose
Her eyebrows meet, she wears second hand clothes
She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop
I don't know why I love her but I just can't stop

You know I love her
Yeah I love her
I'm in love with the
Ugliest Girl in the World

If I ever lose her I will go insane
I go half crazy when she calls my name
When she says babababababy I l-l-love you
There ain't nothing in the world that I wouldn't do

You know I love her Yeah I love her
I'm in love with the Ugliest Girl in the World

The woman that I love she got two flat feet
Her knees knock together walking down the street
She cracks her knuckles and she snores in bed
She ain't much to look at but like I said

You know I love her Yeah I love her
I'm in love with the Ugliest Girl in the
World

I don't mean to say that she got nothing goin' She got a weird sense of
humor that's all her own When I get low she sets me on my feet Got a five
inch smile but her breath is sweet

You know I love her Yeah I love her I'm in love with the Ugliest Girl in the
World

The woman that I love she a got a prizefighter nose Cauliflower ears and a
run in her hose She speaks with a stutter and she walks with a hop I don't
know why I love her but I just can't stop

Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:53 am
Joel McCrea
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joel Albert McCrea, (November 5, 1905 - October 20, 1990) was an American film actor.

Born in South Pasadena, California, McCrea became interested in films after graduating from Pomona College. He worked as an extra in films from 1927 before being cast in a major role in The Jazz Age (1929). A contract with MGM followed, and then another contract with RKO. He established himself as a handsome leading man who was considered versatile enough to star in both drama and comedy. In the early 1940s he reached the peak of this stage of his career in such films as Alfred Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent (1940), Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels (1941) and The Palm Beach Story (1942).

From the mid 1940s he appeared predominantly in westerns and became one of the most highly regarded actors of this genre. He costarred with fellow veteran western star Randolph Scott in Ride the High Country (1962) but only appeared in a few more films after this, as he preferred to live the remainder of his life as a rancher. In 1969, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Joel McCrea has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6901 Hollywood Blvd. and another star at 6241 Hollywood Blvd. for his contribution to radio.

McCrea married the actress Frances Dee in 1933. Together, they had three children, David, Peter, and Jody McCrea, who later became an actor like his father. Joel and Frances remained married until his death in Woodland Hills, California from pneumonia at the age of 84 in 1990. According to David Raban's Stars of the '30s, The McCreas were prodigious savers, accumulating a large estate, which included working-ranch properties. Joel McCrea's work ethic was in part attributed to his Scottish heritage and it also may have stemmed from his friendship in the 1930s with fellow personality and sometime actor, Will Rogers. McCrea recounted that "the Oklahoma Sage" gave him a profound piece of advice: "Save half of what you make, and live on just the other half."

During his lifetime, McCrea and his wife Frances lived, raised their children, and rode their horses on their ranch in what was then an unincorporated area of eastern Ventura County, California. The McCreas ultimately donated several hundred acres of their personal property to the newly formed Conejo Valley YMCA for the city of Thousand Oaks, California, both of which celebrated their 40th anniversaries in 2004. Today, the land on which the Conejo Valley YMCA rests is called "Joel McCrea Park".
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:58 am
Roy Rogers

Leonard Franklin Slye (November 5, 1911 - July 6, 1998), who became famous as Roy Rogers, was a singer and cowboy actor. He and his third wife Dale Evans, his golden palomino Trigger, and his German shepherd Bullet were featured in over one hundred movies and The Roy Rogers Show which ran on radio for nine years before moving to television from 1951 through 1964. His productions usually featured two sidekicks, Pat Brady (who drove a jeep called "Nellybelle") and the crotchety bushwhacker Gabby Hayes. Roy's nickname was "King of the Cowboys". Dale's nickname was "Queen of the West." For many Americans (and non-Americans), he was the embodiment of the all-American hero.

Early life

Rogers was born to Andrew ("Andy") & Mattie (Womack) Slye in Cincinnati, Ohio, where his family lived in a tenement building on 2nd Street. (Riverfront Stadium was constructed at this location in 1970 and Rogers would later joke that he had been born at 2nd base.) Dissatisfied with his job and city life, Andy Slye and his brother Will built a 12-by-50-foot houseboat from salvage lumber and in July 1912 the Slye family floated up the Ohio River towards Portsmouth, Ohio. Desiring a more stable existence in Portsmouth, Rogers' parents purchased land on which to build a home, but the flood of 1913 allowed them to move the houseboat to their property and continue living in it on dry land.

In 1919 the Slyes purchased a farm about twelve miles north of Portsmouth at Duck Run near Lucasville, Ohio. They there built a six-room home. Rogers' father soon realized that the farm alone would provide insufficient income for his family and he took a job at a shoe factory in Portsmouth, living there during the week and returning home on the weekends, bearing gifts for the family following paydays, one of which was a horse on which Rogers learned his horsemanship.

After completing the eighth grade, Rogers attended high school at McDermott, Ohio. When he was seventeen his family returned to Cincinnati where his father began work at a shoe factory. Rogers soon decided on the necessity to help his family financially, so he quit high school, joined his father at the shoe factory, and began attending night school. After being ridiculed for falling asleep in class, however, he quit school and never returned.

Rogers and his father felt imprisoned by their factory jobs. In 1929 Rogers' older sister Mary was living at Lawndale, California with her husband. Father and son quit their shoe factory jobs. The family packed their 1923 Dodge for a visit with Mary and stayed there four months before returning to Ohio. Almost immediately, Rogers had the opportunity to travel to California with Mary's father-in-law and the rest of the family followed in the spring of 1930.

The Slyes rented a small house near Mary. Rogers and his father immediately found employment as truck drivers for a highway construction project. They reported to work one morning, however, to learn their employer had gone bankrupt. The economic hardship of the Great Depression had followed them West and the Slyes soon found themselves among the economic refugees traveling from job to job picking fruit and living in worker campsites. (Rogers would later read John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and marvel at its accuracy.) One day Andy Slye heard of a shoe factory hiring in Los Angeles and asked Rogers to join him in applying there for work. Rogers, having seen the joy that his guitar and singing had brought to the destitute around the campfires, hesitantly told his father that he was going to pursue a living in music. With his father's blessing, he and cousin Stanley Slye went to Los Angeles and sought musical engagements as The Slye Brothers.

In 1933, Roy married Lucile Ascolese, but they were divorced just three years later. The couple had no children.

Career

Rogers moved to California at eighteen to become a singer. After four years of little success, he formed Sons of the Pioneers, a western cowboy music group, in 1934. The group hit it big with songs like "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds".

From his first film appearance in 1935, he worked steadily in western films, including a large supporting role as a singing cowboy while still billed as "Leonard Slye" in a Gene Autry movie. In 1938 when Autry temporarily walked out on his movie contract, Slye was immediately rechristened "Roy Rogers" [1] and assigned the lead in "Under Western Stars," and a matinee idol, American legend, and competitor for Gene Autry was suddenly born. In addition to his own movies, Rogers played a supporting role in the John Wayne classic Dark Command (1940), a harrowing fictionalization of Quantrill's Raiders directed by Raoul Walsh, who had discovered Wayne in 1929 and changed his name while casting him in The Big Trail, Wayne's first leading role. Rogers became a major box office attraction, and Dale Evans was cast in a movie with him in 1945. The following year, after Roy's wife, Arline, died in childbirth, Roy and Dale married. Although it was Dale's fourth marriage, Roy and Dale were together everafter.

Rogers was an idol for many children through his films and television show. Most of his films were in color in an era when almost all other B-movies were black and white. There were Roy Rogers action figures, cowboy adventure novels, a comic strip, and a variety of marketing successes. Some of his movies would segue into animal adventures, in which Roy's horse Trigger would go off on his own for a while with the camera following him.

The Sons of the Pioneers continued their popularity through the 1950s. Although Rogers was no longer a member, they often appeared as Rogers' backup group in films and on TV.

Rogers and his second wife, Arline (Wilkins) had three children: an adopted daughter, Cheryl, and two biological children, Linda Lou and Roy Jr. Arline died of an embolism shortly after giving birth to Roy Jr. (Dusty) in 1946. Dale and Roy had a daughter, Robin Elizabeth, who died of complications of Down Syndrome at age two. Evans wrote about losing their daughter in her book Angel Unawares.

Roy Rogers on Floodwall Mural painted by Robert Dafford, LaFayette, LA as part of a series of murals at his hometown, Portsmouth, OhioRogers and Evans were also well known as advocates for adoption and as founders and operators of children's charities. They adopted several children. Both were outspoken Christians. In Apple Valley, California, where they made their home, numerous streets and highways as well as civic buildings have been named after them in recognition of their efforts on behalf of homeless and handicapped children.

Roy and Dale's famous theme song, which Dale wrote and they sang as a duet to sign off their television show, was "Happy trails to you, Until we meet again...".

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Roy Rogers has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1752 Vine Street, a second star at 1733 Vine Street for his contribution to radio, and a third star at 1620 Vine Street for his contribution to the television industry.

Roy and Dale were inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1976 and Roy was inducted again as a member of the Sons of the Pioneers in 1995. Roy was also twice elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame, first as a member of The Sons of the Pioneers in 1980 and as a soloist in 1988.

Death

Rogers died of congestive heart failure on July 6, 1998 at age 86. Rogers was residing in Apple Valley, California at the time of his passing.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:06 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:11 am
Elke Sommer

Elke Sommer [IPA: ɛlkə zɔmɐ] (born 5 November 1940) is a German born actress, entertainer, and artist.

Sommer was born as Elke Schletz in Berlin. She started appearing in films in Italy in the late 1950s. She quickly became a noted sex symbol and moved to Hollywood in the early 1960s.

She became one of the most popular pin-up girls of the time, and posed for several pictorials in Playboy Magazine. She became one of the top movie actresses of the 1960s and made 99 movie and television appearances between 1959 and 2005, including A Shot in the Dark (1964) with Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, The Art of Love (1965) with James Garner and Dick Van Dyke, The Oscar (1966) with Stephen Boyd, Boy, Did I Get A Wrong Number! (1966) with Bob Hope, the Bulldog Drummond extravaganza Deadlier Than the Male (1966), and The Wrecking Crew (1969) with Dean Martin; Sommer was the leading lady in each of these films.

She also performed as a singer, making several LP records.

In 1975, Peter Rogers cast her in Carry On Behind as Russian professor Vrooshka. She became the Carry On's highest paid performer, at £30,000 (a honour shared with Phil Silvers for Follow That Camel) While continuing to act sometimes, since the 1990s she has concentrated on painting. Her artwork shows strong influence from Marc Chagall. As of 2004, she lives in Los Angeles, California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:38 am
Art Garfunkel

Arthur Ira Garfunkel (born November 5, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter and actor, best known as half of the folk duo Simon and Garfunkel.

Life and work

Early life

Garfunkel was born in Forest Hills, Queens, New York, in New York City. He is of Romanian Jewish ancestry.

He met his future singing partner, Paul Simon, in the sixth grade. Between 1956 and 1962, the two had performed together as Tom & Jerry. Garfunkel ("Tom Graph") chose his nickname because he liked to track, or "graph" hits, on the pop charts. Garfunkel attended Columbia University in the early sixties, where he sang with the Kingsmen, an all-male a cappella group. While at Columbia, he was also a Brother of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity. In 1962 Garfunkel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in art history, followed eventually by a Master's degree in mathematics.

In 1963 he and Simon reformed the duo under their own names as Simon and Garfunkel and released their first album, Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. on Columbia Records in October 1964. It was not a critical success, and the duo effectively split again after recording. The next year their producer Tom Wilson lifted the song "The Sound of Silence" from the record, redubbed an electric backing onto it, and released it as a single, which eventually went to #1 on the Billboard pop charts. They reunited and went on to become two of the most popular artists of the 1960s, releasing a total of five studio albums. However, citing personal differences and divergence in career interests, they split following the release of their most critically acclaimed album, Bridge Over Troubled Water, in 1970.

Solo career

In the 1970s, Garfunkel released a few solo albums, and although he did not reach the heights that Simon and Garfunkel had reached, he still scored hits with "I Only Have Eyes For You" (a 1934 song originally written by Harry Warren [1]) and "Bright Eyes" (both British #1 hit singles), and "All I Know" (#9 in the United States). A version of "Bright Eyes" also appeared in the movie Watership Down.

In between, he also acted in a few movies, including Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge (1971) with Jack Nicholson, Candice Bergen, and Ann-Margret.

Following disappointing sales of his 1981 album Scissors Cut, Garfunkel reunited with Paul Simon for the famous concert in Central Park. They next worked on a new studio album together, but Garfunkel left the project, not agreeing with Simon's lyrics. After this, Garfunkel left the music scene for several years, but returned in 1988 with the album Lefty. None of these projects garnered much critical success, and Garfunkel did not release another album until 1993's Up 'til Now. Perhaps his most noteworthy recent release is his live 1996 concert Across America, recorded live at the registry hall on Ellis Island. The concert features several musical guests, including James Taylor, Garfunkel's wife, Kim, and his son James.

Recent events

In 2003, Garfunkel made his debut as a songwriter on his well-received Everything Waits to Be Noticed album. Teaming up with singer-songwriters Maia Sharp and Buddy Mondlock, the album represented some of Garfunkel's strongest solo performances to date, and contained several songs whose origins were poems penned by Garfunkel. Although his name had appeared in songwriting credits for a small handful of Simon and Garfunkel's material, Everything Waits to Be Noticed is recognized as his first true effort at songwriting, save his teenage years with Paul Simon in Tom and Jerry.

In 2003, he reunited again with Paul Simon for a U.S. tour, followed by a 2004 international tour.

Garfunkel made news in early 2004 when he was arrested for possession of marijuana.

The only new recording on the collection The Art Garfunkel Album (1984), the song "Sometimes When I'm Dreaming" (written by Mike Batt), was re-recorded in 2004 by ex ABBA singer Agnetha Fältskog on her comeback album My Colouring Book.

In August 2005, Garfunkel received his second marijuana possession charge after a state police trooper found a marijuana cigarette in the ashtray of his car while in New York State.[2]

Trivia

Art Garfunkel's website contains a year by year listing of every book he has read since 1968.
From 1983 to 1997, Garfunkel walked across America, taking 40 excursions to complete the route from New York City to the Pacific coast of Washington.
Appeared in an episode of the PBS television show Arthur as a moose playing "The Ballad of Buster Baxter," in a parody of Jonathan Richman's role in There's Something About Mary.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:41 am
Sam Shepard

Sam Shepard (born November 5, 1943) is an American playwright, writer and actor.

He was born Samuel Shepard Rogers in Fort Sheridan, Illinois. His many works are known for being frank and often absurd, and for having an authentic sense of the style and sensibility of the gritty modern American west. Shepard is also a respected actor of stage and motion pictures.

His play Buried Child received a Pulitzer Prize in 1979; other notable work includes Curse of the Starving Class in 1978, True West in 1980 and A Lie of the Mind in 1985. He also continued with his collaboration with Bob Dylan that started with the surrealist film Renaldo & Clara on an epic, 11 minute song entitled "Brownsville Girl", included on the 1986 Knocked Out Loaded album and later compilations.

In 1986, Shepard was elected to The American Academy of Arts and Letters.

Shepard was previously married to actress O-Lan Jones (born O-Lan Barna) from 1969 to 1984, by whom he has one son, Jesse.

He met Oscar-winning actress Jessica Lange on the set of a movie they both starred in, Frances. He moved in with her in 1983, and currently lives with her and their two children in Manhattan.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:44 am
Tatum O'Neal

Tatum Beatrice O'Neal (born November 5, 1963 in Los Angeles, California) is an Academy Award-winning American actress best known for her film work as a child actress in the 1970s.

Brief biography

O'Neal was born into the motion picture family of actor Ryan O'Neal (of mostly Irish ancestry) and actress Joanna Moore (of mostly English descent). Her brother, Griffin, was born in 1964. In 1967 her parents divorced , but they remained very close. Her father married actress Leigh Taylor-Young, the mother of her half-brother, Patrick (who was married to actress Rebecca DeMornay). Tatum's mother died in 1997 of lung cancer at age 63 after a reasonably successful career in which she had appeared in such movies as Touch of Evil.

After struggling with leukemia, Ryan reunited with his former common-law spouse, Farrah Fawcett, after many years of separation.

Troubled childhood

In her autobiography called A Paper Life, Tatum O'Neal alleged that she had been molested by a male friend of her father's. Tatum also alleges physical and emotional abuse from her father, much of which she attributes to drug use. She later said she was dragged to an opium-inspired orgy by Melanie Griffith when she was 12 years old.

Academy Award as a child

In 1974, Tatum O'Neal became the youngest person ever to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Paper Moon. This controversial movie, which also featured her real-life father as a con-man, portrayed young Tatum as a child in the company of a crook who was being further tutored in a life of crime and corruption. The motion picture was financed by Herbert W. Armstrong's Ambassador International Cultural Foundation.

Other roles

Other movies starring O'Neal include The Bad News Bears, Nickelodeon (both 1976), International Velvet (1978), and Little Darlings (1980). Her acting career took a backseat to her personal troubles for many years, but in 2005 she began a recurring role as Maggie Gavin on the firehouse drama series Rescue Me, portraying the unbalanced and lively sister of Tommy Gavin played by Denis Leary. O'Neal's character is engaged to be married to a firefighter in her brother's firehouse.

In January 2006, she participated in the second season of ABC's smash reality series Dancing with the Stars but was the second contestant to be eliminated in the second round. She went on to do commentary for the series on Entertainment Tonight.

It was announced that Tatum will star in the lead role of Blythe in the upcoming My Network TV prime-time drama Art of Betrayal.

Marriage

In 1986, O'Neal wed multi-millionaire tennis superstar John McEnroe, and the couple had three children: Kevin, Sean, and Emily.

Following their divorce in 1992, she took up residence in New York City. O'Neal shares joint custody of the children with McEnroe, who married musician Patty Smyth in 1997.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
Pass this to any senior you know. Despite what you may
have seen on the streets, the following combinations
DO NOT go together:

A nose ring and bifocals

Spiked hair and bald spots

A pierced tongue and dentures

Miniskirts and support hose

Ankle bracelets and corn pads

Speedos and cellulite

A belly button ring and a gall bladder surgery scar

Unbuttoned disco shirts and a heart monitor

Midriff shirts and a midriff bulge

Bikinis and liver spots

Short shorts and varicose veins

In-line skates and a walker
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:29 am
Well, we know our hawkman has completed his bio's when we hear an old folks at home funny. Great, Bob. Hey, I had a laparoscopy. Can I still wear a midriff shirt? Razz

I think all of us here may know most of your celebs, Boston, but will wait for our resident photographer to appear with pictures.

Love Sam Shepherd, and thank you for the reminder of the movie, Frances.

Time for a station break:

This is cyberspace, WA2K radio.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:39 am
and a vera goood morning to the loeverly letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:06 am
Well, folks. I think the sky just fell on Florida; dys just said my name. Thanks, cowboy. That was as pleasant as a cool, clear drink of water from the fountain of youth. <smile> Speaking of which, folks, I just found an oldie that has been done by many.

Cool Water
by Bob Nolan (Revised lyrics by Joni Mitchell)

All day I face the barren waste
Without a taste of water
Cool water
Old Dan and I
Our throats slate dry
Our spirits cry out for water
Cool clear water
Keep on movin' Dan
Some devils had a plan
Buried poison in the sand
Don't drink it man
It's in the water
Cool clear water
In my mind I see
A big green tree
And a river flowin' free
Waitin' up ahead
For you and me
Cool clear water

The nights are cool and I'm a fool
Each star is a pool of water
Cool water
But come the dawn
We carry on
We won't last long without water
Cool clear water
Keep on movin' Dan
We're still in no-man's land
Dry bones and sand
People never planned here for water
Cool clear water
In my mind I see
A big green tree
And a river flowin' free
Waiting up ahead for you and me
Cool clear water

The shadows sway
They seem to say
Tonight we pray for water
Cool water
And way up there
If you care
Please show us where
There's good water
Cool clear water.

Well, Joni, I like the original better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:37 am
Mustang Gray
(Credited to Tom Grey, Tularosa, New Mexico, 1888)

There was a brave old Texan,
They called him Mustang Gray;
He left his home when but a youth,
Went ranging far away.

But he'll go no more a-ranging
The savage to affright;
He has heard his last war whoop
And fought his last fight.

He ne'er would sleep within a tent
No comforts would he know;
But like a brave old Tex-i-can
A-ranging he would go.

When Texas was invaded
By a mighty tyrant foe,
He mounted his noble war-horse
And a-ranging he did go.

Once he was taken prisoner,
Bound in chains upon the way;
He wore the yoke of bondage
Through the streets of Monterey.

A señorita loved him
And followed by his side;
She opened the gates and gave to him
Her father's steed to ride.

God bless the señorita,
The belle of Monterey;
She opened wide the prison door
And let him ride away.

And when his veteran's life was spent,
It was his last command,
To bury him on Texas soil
On the banks of the Rio Grande;

And there the lonely traveler,
When passing by his grave,
Will shed a farewell tear
O'er the bravest of the brave.

Now he'll go no more a-ranging,
The savage to affright;
He's heard his last war-whoop
and fought his last fight.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:48 am
Hey, folks. We're into horses again? Okay, let's continue the trend. edgar, was it you, or bioBob, or dys that started all this?

Old faithful we rode the range together
Old faithful in every kind of weather
When your roundup days are over
There'll be pastures white with clover
For you old faithful pal of mine

Hurry up old fellow cause the moon is yellow tonight
Hurry up old fellow cause the moon is mellow and bright
There's a coyote howlin' to the moon above
So carry me back to the one I love
Hurry up old fellow cause we gotta get home tonight

Old faithful we rode the range together...
For you old faithful pal of mine
0 Replies