WA2K Radio is now on the air

yitwail

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:01 am
nice to be back. a2k was trying even the patience of a turtle the last few days, but i'm keeping my flippers crossed. can't believe i wrote East Cost. Embarrassed

'twould be wonderful if someone could post the lyrics for "Bennie's from Heaven," a very amusing twist on Pennies from heaven. i couldn't locate it with Google, alas. it's bout a GI who returns from service to find he has a new son, named Bennie, and his significant other keeps saying "Bennie's from heaven." Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:14 am
Did you write "East Cost", M.D.? Well, I think that is more apt than coast.

The web just went wacky on me, and all because I was looking for Bennie's from heaven. Rolling Eyes

However, listeners, I did find Bennie and the Jets:

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
Available on the album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Hey kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight
So stick around
You're gonna hear electric music
Solid walls of sound

Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet
But they're so spaced out, Bennie and the Jets
Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh Bennie she's really keen
She's got electric boots a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
Bennie and the Jets

Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:30 am
The eyes don't change colour

Music: Demetrios Papadimitriou
Lyrics: Michalis Ghanas
Singer : Gerasimos Andreatos

We are going to meet again in the same places,
We are going to put the hands in the shoulder of each other,
We are going to remember our old songs,
Names and glances in the roads.

CHORUS
The eyes don't change colour.
The eyes you remember and I remember.
Nothing is lost yet,
As we still live and sympathise.
The eyes don't change colour,
They change only the way they look.

And if our friends changed a bit since then,
We also changed with our turn.
We lost each other, a night at Pangration,
But we meet in our dreams.

*Pangration: Suburb in central Athens (In this case).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:42 am
Well, there is our Grecian friend back again. What a stunning song, Ellinas. The eyes don't change color? I love the allusion and the line "they change only the way they look."

Do the eyes really reflect love?

A WOMAN IN LOVE

Your eyes are the eyes of a woman in love
And oh, how they give you away
Why try to deny you're a woman in love
When I know very well what I say
I say no moon in the sky
Ever lent such a glow
some flame deep within made them shine
Those eyes are the eyes of a woman in love
And may they gaze ever more into mine
Crazily gaze ever more into mine.

What a nice memory, Ellinas. Thank you.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
Susan Hayward
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Susan Hayward
Born June 30, 1917
Brooklyn, New York
Died March 14, 1975
Hollywood, California

Susan Hayward (June 30, 1917 - March 14, 1975) was an Academy Award-winning American actress.

Biography

Born Edythe Marrenner in Brooklyn, New York of Irish American and Scandinavian extraction, she began her career as a photographer's model. She went to Hollywood in 1937, aiming to secure the role of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.

Although she was not given the role, Hayward found employment playing bit parts until she was cast in Beau Geste(1939) opposite Gary Cooper. During the war years, she played leading lady to John Wayne twice in Reap the Wild Wind (1942) and The Fighting Seabees (1944). Post-war, she established herself as one of Hollywood's most popular leading ladies in films such as Tap Roots (1948), My Foolish Heart (1949), David and Bathsheba (1951) and With a Song in My Heart (1952).

In 1947, she received the first of her five Academy Award nominations for her role of the alcoholic and fast-rising night-club singer in Smash-Up, the Story of a Woman.

During the 1950s she won acclaim for her dramatic performances as President Andrew Jackson's melancholic wife in The President's Lady (1953), the alcoholic actress, Lillian Roth, in I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955), based on Roth's autobiography and the real-life California killer Barbara Graham in I Want to Live! (1958). The latter won her an Oscar as Best Actress.

She also appeared in a Las Vegas production of Mame for which she initially received good reviews for her performance, but for which role she was vocally unprepared, and she blamed herself for not having wanted to spend the money on voice lessons that might have allowed her to keep the role. Loretta Swit played "Agnes Gooch" in the same production.

After Hayward was forced to withdraw from the production, she was replaced by the talented, but prickly, Oscar-winning actress and singer Celeste Holm. Hayward warned Holm that if she mistreated the "great" company she was now joining, then she (Hayward) would "kick your a** back to Toledo", from where Holm did not even come.

She continued to act throughout the 1960s and into the early 1970s, when she was diagnosed with brain cancer. Her final film role was as Dr. Maggie Cole in the 1972 made-for-TV drama Say Goodbye, Maggie Cole. (The film was actually planned as a pilot for a possible weekly television series, but due to Hayward's cancer diagnosis and failing health, the TV series never came to be.) Her last public appearance was at the 1974 Oscar telecast to present the award for "Best Actress", despite the fact she was very ill. With Charlton Heston supporting her, and having been given massive doses of dopamine, she managed to get through it. Hayward later stated, "that's the last time I do that".

Susan Hayward died, aged 57, on March 14, 1975, of pneumonia-related complications coinciding with her cancer having survived considerably longer than her doctors had originally predicted. She was buried next to her second and final husband, Floyd Chalkley, with whom she converted to Roman Catholicism, in Carrollton, Georgia. She was survived by her two sons.

While never confirmed, some suspect that Hayward's cancer was a result of having been exposed to radiation at a site previously used for nuclear testing while filming The Conqueror (1956) in Utah.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
Lena Horne
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lena Mary Calhoun Horne (born June 30, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American popular singer. While she has recorded and performed extensively with jazz musicians (notably Artie Shaw and Teddy Wilson), she is usually not considered a jazz singer because she does not improvise. She currently lives in New York City but no longer makes public appearances.

After a false start headlining an obscure 1938 musical film called, The Duke is Tops, Horne became the first African American performer to sign a long-term contract with a major Hollywood studio, namely Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. She made her debut with MGM in 1942's Panama Hattie and became famous in 1943 for her rendition of Stormy Weather in the movie of the same name (which she made while on loan to 20th Century Fox from MGM). She appeared in a number of MGM musicals, most notably Cabin in the Sky (also 1943), but was never featured in a leading role due to her race and the fact that films featuring her had to be reedited for showing in southern states where theatres could not show films with African American performers. As a result, most of Horne's film appearances were standalone sequences that had no bearing on the rest of the film, so editing caused no disruption to the storyline; a notable exception was the all-black musical Cabin in the Sky, though even then one of her numbers had to be cut because it was considered too suggestive by the censors. Stormy Weather did feature Horne in a major acting role, with a more substantial part than what she had in Cabin in the Sky, but as noted, this was not an MGM musical. She was originally considered for the role of Julie LaVerne in MGM's 1951 version of Show Boat (having already played the role when a segment of Show Boat was performed in Till the Clouds Roll By) but Ava Gardner was given the role instead (the production code office had banned interracial relationships in films). In the documentary That's Entertainment! III Horne stated that MGM executives required Gardner to practice her singing using recordings of Horne performing the songs, which offended both Horne and Gardner (ultimately, Gardner ended up having her singing voice overdubbed by another actress for the threatrical release, though her own voice was heard on the soundtrack album).

Horne was married to Lennie Hayton, a white, Jewish American for many years until his death. Hayton was one of the premier musical conductors and arrangers at MGM. Studio executives disapproved of the marriage, and eventually both Horne and Hayton were let go. In her as-told-to autobiography Lena by Richard Schickel, Horne recounts the enormous pressures she and her husband faced as an interracial married couple.

Disenchanted with Hollywood by the mid-1950s, and increasingly focused on her nightclub career, she only made two major appearances in MGM films during the decade, 1950's Duchess of Idaho (which was also Eleanor Powell's film swan song), and the 1956 musical Meet Me in Las Vegas. She returned to the screen three more times, playing Claire Quintana in the 1969 film Death of a Gunfighter, Glinda the Good Witch in The Wiz (1978), with Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, and co-hosting the aforementioned 1994 MGM retrospective That's Entertainment! III in which she was candid about her treatment by the studio.

She appeared in Broadway musicals several times and in 1958 was nominated for the Tony Award for "Best Actress in a Musical." In 1981 she received a Special Tony Award for her show, Lena Horne: "The Lady and Her Music". She also made occasional TV appearances, such as a guest appearance as herself on Sanford and Son in the 70s and a mid-1980s performance on The Cosby Show.

In 2003, ABC announced that pop star Janet Jackson would star as Horne in a television biopic. In the weeks following Jackson's so-called "wardrobe malfunction" debacle during the 2004 Super Bowl, however, Variety reported that Horne demanded Jackson be dropped from the project. "ABC executives resisted Horne's demand," according to the Associated Press report, "but Jackson representatives told the trade newspaper that she left willingly after Horne and her daughter, Gail Lumet Buckley, asked that she not take part." Oprah Winfrey told Alicia Keys during a 2005 interview on The Oprah Winfrey Show that she might possibly consider producing the biopic herself, and casting Keys as Horne.

In January 2005, Blue Note Records, her label for more than a decade, announced that "the finishing touches have been put on a collection of rare and unreleased recordings by the legendary Horne made during her time on Blue Note. Remixed by her longtime producer Rodney Jones, the recordings sound wonderful and include versions of such signature songs as 'Something To Live For', 'Chelsea Bridge' and 'Stormy Weather'." The album, originally titled Soul but renamed Seasons of a Life, was recorded in 1999 but remained unreleased for six years. The album was released on January 24, 2006.

Track Title: Stormy Weather (Keeps Rainin' All The Time)

Arranger: Billy May
Lyrics by: Ted Koehler (Theodore K.)

Lyrics:

Don't know why
There's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps raining all the time

Life is bare
Gloom and misery everywhere
Stormy weather
Just can't get my poor old self together
I'm weary all the time, the time
So weary all of the time

When he went away
The blues walked in and met me
If he stays away, old rocking chair will get me
All I do is pray
The lord above will let me
Walk in the sun once more

Can't go on
Everything I had is gone
Stormy weather
Keeps raining all of the time

I walk around,
Heavy-hearted and sad
Night comes around
And I'm still feeling bad
Rain pourin' down
Blinding every hope I had
This pitter 'n patter 'n beatin' 'n spatterin' drivin' me mad

Love, love, love, love
This misery will be the end of me

(bridge)

When he went away
The blues walked in and met me
If he stays away, old rocking chair will get me
All I do is pray
The lord above will let me
Walk in the sun once more

Can't go on
Everything I had is gone
Stormy weather
Keeps raining all the time, the time

Transcribed by Todd Peach <[email protected]>
[email protected]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES

1. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going
back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

2. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then you will be afraid to cough.

3. Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
someone else to hold them while you chop away.

4. Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

5. For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins.
Remember to use a timer.

6. Have a bad headache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will forget about the headache.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only need two tools:
WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.

If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:31 am
Well, folks. There's our bio man and singing the same song as the turtle. <smile> Thanks, Boston, and we love your home remedies. Big smile for you, hawk. The bed pan remedy reminded me of how to have fun on a hospital visit. Put creepy crawlies in the bed pan.

Hmmm. Wonder if our Raggedy is having problems accessing our studio? Hope not.

We'll hold the fort until we know:

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Susan%20Hayward.jpg

Amazing about the cause of Susan's cancer, Bob
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:42 pm
Well, well. In searching the archives, I found this song and I think Susan did it:

I'll walk alone,
Because to tell you the truth, I'll be lonely;
I don't mind being lonely
When my heart tells me you are lonely, too.

I'll walk alone,
They'll ask me why, and I'll tell them I'd rather;
There are dreams I can gather,
Dreams we fashioned that night you held me tight.

(Bridge:)
I'll always be near you, wherever you are,
Each night in ev'ry prayer.
If you call, I'll hear you, no matter how far?
Just close your eyes, and I'll be there.

Please walk alone,
And send your love and your kisses to guide me;
'Til you're walking beside me,
I'll walk alone.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:28 pm
Good afternoon. Here's hoping. I almost forgot how to take pictures. Thank you Letty for doing such a great job in my absence. For awhile there, I was worried I might lose my job. Very Happy

I just love this lady's voice.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/media_content/m-1173_add.jpg
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Movie/susan-screenland12.JPG

That was Jane Froman's voice, Letty. She was so good. Susan played her in "With A Song In My Heart".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
Ah, there's our Raggedy. So glad that you are back, honey. Sorry, I just can't do them pictures the way that you do.

Wow. Amazing about Jane Froman, PA. I knew that song was there somewhere, gal.

Ah, yes. Miss Lena. Hey, I'll get it right eventually.

My word, folks. Why can I find "I'll Walk Alone" and not find "With a song in my Heart"? Confused
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:49 pm
And that was such a popular song once upon a time ago.

I remember:

With a song in my heart
I behold your adorable face
Just a song at the start
But it soon is a hymn to your grace

and it will be driving me bonkers for the rest of the day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:53 pm
UhOh. I need to write my sister again.

The last verse, I think, is:

But I always knew,
I could see life through,
With a song in my heart for you.

Hey, anyone out there in our audience know that song?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:18 pm
OK, give your sister a rest, Letty. I put the Jane Froman CD on.

Here goes:

With a song in my heart
I behold your adorable face
Just a song at the start
But it soon is a hymn to your grace

When the music swells, I'm touching your hand
It tells me you're standing near
At the sound of your voice, heaven opens its portal to me
Can I help but rejoice
That a song such as ours came to be

But I always knew
I would live life through
With a song in my heart for you.

(Lovely CD. Jane Froman almost lost her life in a plane crash in Lisbon in 1943. She was rescued from drowning by pilot John Curtis Burn, whom she later married. It was thought she'd never walk again, but she overcame her injuries, walked again with the aid of crutches, and made her way back into show biz.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:30 pm
I knew there was a reason that we missed you, Raggedy. Thanks so much, PA. You are indeed a wonder woman. <smile>

For our Raggedy:

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!

All the world is waiting for you
and the power you possess
In your satin tights
fighting for your rights
And the old red white and blue

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!
Now the world is ready for you
and the wonders you can do
Make a hawk a dove
stop a war with love
Make a liar tell the truth

Wonder Woman!
Get us out from under, Wonder Woman

All our hopes are pinned upon you
and the magic that you do
Stop a bullet cold
make the evil fold
change their minds and change the world

Wonder Woman!
Wonder Woman!

You're a wonder, Wonder Woman!

Laughing
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:52 pm
Thank you, Letty. http://atomicbombshell.com/blog/wp-uploads/WWDog.jpg
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:54 pm
Nick cave rules.

Hey, I'm just a listener with a song request.

Play something by nick cave?

Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:04 pm
Hope that wonder dog is a female, Raggedy. Very Happy

Here you go, Cyracuz:

Been Waiting For?

Artist: Nick Cave
Song: Are You The One I'Ve Been Waiting For?

I've felt you coming girl, as you drew near
I knew you'd find me, cause I longed you here
Are you my destiny? Is this how you'll appear?
Wrapped in a coat with tears in your eyes?
Well take that coat babe, and throw it on the floor
Are you the one I've been waiting for?

As you've been moving, surely toward me
My soul has comforted and assured me
That in time my heart it will reward me
And that all will be revealed
So I've sat and I've watched an ice-age thaw

Out of sorrow entire worlds have been built
Out of longing great wonders have been willed
They're only little tears, darling, let them spill
And lay your head upon my shoulder
Outside my window the world has gone to war

O we will know... won't we?
The stars will explode in the sky
But they don't... do they?
Stars have their moment and then they die

There's a man who spoke wonders though I've never met him
He said, "He who seeks finds and who knocks will be let in"
I think of you in motion and just how close you are getting
And how every little thing anticipates you
All down my veins my heart-strings call
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:13 pm
Thanks!

Good choice, and it hits close to heart these days.

But how could you know that... Confused Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:19 pm
Well, Cyracuz, we all know you have a lady friend. <smile> and as for my choice of songs, I sense a lot of stuff on our radio. That's why we don't need a medium or a psychic. Razz

Hmmm. Hope our Try is all right.
0 Replies