WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:23 pm
History in a song, edgar, Well that's Dylan for you. Then there is another kind of Valentine, listeners.

Inspired by O Henry:

Look out, look out, Look out for Jimmy Valentine

For he's a pal of mine, A sentimental crook

With a touch that lingers

In his sandpapered fingers

He can find the combination of your pocketbook.

Look out, look out, For when you see his lantern shine

That's the time to jump right up and shout

Help! He'd steal a horse and cart,

He'd even steal a girlie's heart

When Jimmy Valentine gets out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:46 pm
Incidentally, folks. For those of you who are not familiar with the history behind edgar's song:

Rubin CarterRubin "Hurricane" Carter (born May 6, 1937), a middleweight boxer between 1961 and 1966, is better known for his controversial convictions (1967, 1976) for three June 1966 murders in Paterson, New Jersey, and his subsequent release from prison in 1985.

The question of Carter's guilt or innocence remains a strongly polarizing one: either the criminal justice system released a triple murderer from the punishment that two separate juries had recommended, or it imprisoned an innocent man for almost 20 years.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:22 pm
I don't think anybody who has read Hurricane Carter's autobiography could think he's guilty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:33 pm
I haven't read it, edgar. History mysteries are a favorite of mine, however, and obviously Bon Jovi as well:

Bon Jovi
Mystery Train

Misery likes company, I like the way that sounds
I've been trying to find the meaning, so I can write it down
Staring out the window, it's such a long way down
I'd like to jump, but I'm afraid to hit the ground

I can't write a love song the way I feel today
I can't sing no song of hope, I got nothing to say
Life is feeling kind of strange, since you went away
I sing this song to you wherever you are
As my guitar lies bleeding in my arms

I'm tired of watching TV, it makes me want to scream
Outside the world is burning, man it's so hard to belive
Each day you know you're dying from the cradle to the grave
I get so numb sometimes, that I can't feel the pain

I can't sing no song of hope I've got nothing to say
Life is feeling kind of strange, it's strange enough these days
I send this song to you, whoever you are
As my guitar lies bleeding in my arms

Staring at the paper, I don't know what to write
I'll have my last cigarette-well, turn out the lights
Maybe tomorrow I'll fell a different way
But here im my delusion , I don't know what to say

I can't sing no song of hope I've got nothing to save
And I can't fight the feelings buried in my brains
I send this song to you, whoever you are
As my guitar lies bleeding
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:25 am
This looks like it is talking about the fall of the city, but it is actually allegorical and talking about the modern way of life and the decline of the Western World.

Music: Giannis Markopoulos
Lyrics: Giorgos Skourtes
Singer: Nikos Xilouris

The enemies entered the city

The enemies entered the city,
The enemies broke the gates.
And we were laughing in the neighborhoods,
the first day…

The enemies took our siblings,
And we were watching the girls,
the next day…

The enemies dropped fire to us,
And we were screaming in the dark,
the third day…

The enemies were carrying swords,
And we passed them for charms,
the next day…

The enemies gave us presents.
And we were laughing like the children,
the fifth day…

The enemies were carrying right.
And we were screaming "Long Live!" and "Hail!"
like every day…
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 04:53 am
My Heart Belongs To Me
Barbra Streisand

I got the feelin'
The feelin's gone
My heart has gone to sleep
One of these mornin's I'll be gone
My heart belongs to me

Can we believe in fairytales
Can love survive when all else fails
Can't hide the feelin'
The feelin's gone
My heart belongs to me

But now my love
Hey, didn't I love you
But we knew what had to be
Somehow my love
I'll always love you
But my heart belongs to me

Put out the light
And close your eyes
Come lie beside me
Don't ask why
Can't hide the feelin'
The feelin's gone
My heart belongs to me

(But now my love)
(Hey, didn't I love you)
(Didn't I love you)
(Didn't I love you)
(Didn't I love you, baby)

Don't cry my love
I'll always love you
But my heart belongs to me

I got the feelin'
The feelin's gone
My heart belongs to me

(Didn't I love you)
(Didn't I love you)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 04:54 am
June Carter Cash
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born: 23 June 1929
Scott County, Virginia, USA
Died: 15 May 2003
Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
Spouse: Johnny Cash
June Carter Cash (June 23, 1929 - May 15, 2003) was a singer, songwriter, actress, a member of the first family of country music, the Carter Family, and the wife of legendary singer Johnny Cash. She played the guitar, banjo, and autoharp.

With Mother Maybelle & the Carter Sisters

In March 1943, when the Carter Family trio stopped recording together after the WBT contract, Maybelle Carter, with encouragement from her husband Ezra, formed "Mother Maybelle & the Carter Sisters" with her daughters Helen, Anita, and June. The new group first aired on radio station WRNL in Richmond, Virginia on June 1. Doc and Carl rejoined them in late 1945. June, then 16, was a co-announcer with Ken Allyn and did the commercials on the radio shows. For the next year, the Carters and Doc and Carl did show dates within driving range of Richmond through Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania. She later said she had to work harder at her music than her sisters, but she had her own special talent, comedy. A highlight of the road shows was her "Aunt Polly" comedy routine. Carl wrote in his memoirs that June was "a natural born clown, if there ever was one." She attended South Rowan High School during this period.

Ezra Carter declined Grand Ole Opry offers to move the family to Nashville, Tennessee a number of times because the Opry would not permit Chet Atkins to accompany the group. Finally, in 1950 Opry management relented and the group, along with Atkins, became part of the Opry company. Here the family befriended Hank Williams and Elvis Presley (to whom they were distantly related, along with future U.S. President Jimmy Carter), and June met Johnny Cash.

With her thin and lanky frame, June Carter often played a comedic foil during the group's performances alongside other Opry stars Faron Young and Webb Pierce.

Marriages and Children

She was married three times, first to honky-tonk singer Carl Smith from 9 July 1952 until their divorce in 1956. They had a daughter Rebecca Carlene Smith aka Carlene Carter. 11 November 1957 she married policeman Edwin "Rip" Nix and had a daughter Rozanna (Rosie Nix Adams). They were divorced in 1966. Both daughters became singers. John Carter Cash, born in 1970, was the product of her marriage to singer Johnny Cash.

With Johnny Cash

June married Johnny Cash, her third husband, in 1968. Speaking of their 35-year marriage, Rosanne Cash stated that "if being a wife were a corporation, June would have been a CEO. It was her most treasured role." The couple had a son, John Carter Cash.

In 1967, she and Cash won a Grammy Award in the Best Country & Western Performance, Duet, Trio Or Group (vocal or instrumental) category for the song "Jackson." In 1970, they won again in the Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal category for the song, "If I Were a Carpenter."

Death

June died on May 15, 2003 in Nashville, Tennessee from complications following heart valve surgery two years after she had an artificial pacemaker implanted. She was interred in Hendersonville Memory Gardens in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Johnny Cash died four months later.

Awards

In 1999, she won a Grammy Award for her album, Press On. Her last album, Wildwood Flower, was released posthumously in 2003 and won two additional Grammys. It contains bonus video enhancements showing extracts from the film of the recording sessions which took place at the Carter Family Estate in Hiltons, Virginia on September 18-20, 2002.

Trivia

She played the part of Mrs. "Momma" Dewey in Robert Duvall's 1997 movie The Apostle.
She was portrayed by Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, a 2005 biopic of Johnny Cash that focused largely on the development of their relationship from the time that they met until she accepted his marriage proposal. Witherspoon received many awards for her role, including an Academy Award for Best Actress and a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:01 am
Jean Anouilh

Jean Anouilh (June 23, 1910 - October 3, 1987) was a French dramatist.

He was born in Bordeaux and had Basque ancestry. He started his career as a jobbing writer in the film industry. In 1931, his first play, L'Hermine, flopped, but he followed it up with a string of others. Anouilh was an extremely private man, and very little is known about his private life except for what can be deduced from reading his plays. It is known that he married Monelle Valentin, an actress. He has a very long career, and is not associated with one specific school of dramatic thought. His plays are vastly different from each other. Some are classic farces with dark twists, some adaptations of Greek myths, and some explorations of life and love. He was an outstanding writer with a unique ability to craft a wide spectrum of brilliant masterpieces.

Jean Anouilh died in Lausanne, Switzerland.

[edit]
Works include
L'Hermine (1931)
Mandarine (1933)
Y avait un prisonnier (1935)
Le voyageur sans bagage (1937)
La sauvage (1938)
Le Bal des Voleurs (Thieves' Carnival) (1938)
Léocadia (1940)
Eurydice (1941)
Le rendez-vous de Senlis (1941)
Antigone (1942)
Roméo et Jeannette (1946)
L'Invitation au Chateau (Ring Round the Moon) (1947)
Ardèle ou la Marguerite (1948)
La répétition ou l'amour puni (1950)
Colombe (1951)
La valse des toréadors (1952)
L'Alouette (The Lark) (1952)
Ornifle ou le courant d'air (1955)
Pauvre Bitos ou le dîner de têtes (1956)
L'hurluberlu ou le réactionnaire amoureux (1959)
La petite Molière (1959)
Becket (Becket ou l'honneur de Dieu) (1959)
La Grotte (1961)
Le boulanger, la boulangère et le petit mitron (1968)
Cher Antoine (1969)
Chers zoizeaux (1976)
Le nombril (1981)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:12 am
Bob Fosse

Robert Louis Fosse (June 23, 1927 - September 23, 1987) was a musical theater choreographer and director.

Career

Fosse was born in Chicago, Illinois into a Norwegian family. He was the youngest of six children. His career in dance began at an early age when his father taught him ballroom dancing. Fosse began his dance training at the Frederick Weaver Ballet School where he learned tap and acrobatic dancing, and was the only male enrolled. At the age of 13, Fosse teamed up with Charles Grass, another young dancer, and began a collaboration under the appellation The Riff Brothers. They toured various theaters and strip joints all throughout the Chicago area. In less than three years, the team was making the then generous salary of over $100 a week and Fosse was already choreographing as well as writing comedy sketches by age 15. Ever ambitious, however, Fosse moved on and he was working as an emcee at a series of small nightspots. It was at one of those establishments where he choreographed his first number, involving four girls manipulating ostrich fans to the music of Cole Porter. By 1945, Fosse had graduated from Amundsen High in Chicago and landed a job dancing in the show "Tough Situation," which toured military and naval bases in the Pacific. He later said he "perfected his technique as a performer, choreographer, and director while serving his tour of duty". He first appeared in film dancing in Give A Girl A Break, The Affairs of Dobie Gillis and Kiss Me, Kate, all three released in 1953.

One year later he worked as a choreographer in his first two Broadway shows, The Pajama Game (1954, in which he first met Gwen Verdon, and Damn Yankees (1955).

Fosse developed a jazz dance style that was immediately recognizable, exuding a stylized, cynical sexuality. Other notable distinctions were his inward knees, rounded shoulders and body isolations. With Fred Astaire as an influence, he used props such as bowler hats, canes and chairs. Fosse started to go bald at age 17, which is why he used hats in his performances. He used gloves in his performances because he did not like his hands. His dance routines are intense and specific, yet had a simplicity to them. Some of his most popular numbers include "Steam Heat" from The Pajama Game and "Hey Big Spender" from Sweet Charity. The filmed routines in Cabaret (1972) are particularly characteristic: the vulgar energy of vaudeville and burlesque updated and coolly contained within a slick, knowing sophistication.

In 1986 he directed and choreographed the Broadway production Big Deal, which he also wrote.

Fosse earned many awards for his works. Among them were a Tony Award for Pippin, the Academy Award for Directing for Cabaret and an Emmy Award for Liza with a Z. He was the first person to win these three most important awards in the same year.

In 2001, Fosse was awarded the Lawrence Olivier Theatre Award for Best Theatre Choreographer with Ann Reinking for Fosse at the Prince of Wales Theatre.

His musical All That Jazz (1979) won the Palme d'Or. It is an uncompromising, semi-autobiographical fantasy that portrays a chain-smoking choreographer being driven by his A-type personality.

Bob Fosse died from a heart attack at the age of 60.

Bob Fosse was first married to fellow dancer Marian Niles, then to dancer Joan McCracken from 1951 to 1959, and then married dancer Gwen Verdon in 1960. They had one daughter, Nicole Providence Fosse, who is also a dancer like her parents.

Legacy

There was a resurgence of interest in Fosse's work following revivals of his stage shows and the film release of Chicago (2002). Rob Marshall's choreography for the film emulates the Fosse style but avoids using specific moves from the original. In 1999 the stage show Fosse itself won a Tony Award for Best Musical.

All That Jazz Chicago Country 104CD

Written By Fred Ebb and John Kander

C'mon babe
Why don't we paint the town?
And all that jazz

I'm gonna rouge my knees
And roll my stockings down
And all that jazz

Start the car
I know a whoopee spot
Where the gin is cold
But the piano's hot
It's just a noisy hall
Where there's a nightly brawl
And all that jazz!

Slick you hair
And wear your buckle shoes
And all that jazz
I hear that Father Dipp
Is gonna blow the blues
And all that jazz

Hold on, hon
We're gonna bunny hug
I bought some aspirin
Down at United Drug
In case you shake apart
And want a brand new start
To do that jazz

Skidoo
And all that jazz

Hot-cha
Whoopee
And all that jazz

Ha! ha! ha!

It's just a noisy hall
And all that jazz

Listen your husband isn't home is he
No her husband is not at home
Find a flask
We're playing fast and loose
And all that jazz

Right up here
Is where I store the juice
And all that jazz

Come on, babe
We're gonna brush the sky
I betcha Lucky Lindy
Never flew so high
'cause in the stratosphere
How could he lend an ear
To all that jazz?

Oh, you're gonna see your Sheba shimmy shake
And all that jazz
Oh, she's gonna shimmy till her garters break
And all that jazz
Show her where to park her girdle
Oh, her mother's blood'll curdle
If she'd hear
Her baby's queer
For all that jazz!

C'mon babe
Why don't we paint the town?
And all that jazz
I'm gonna rouge my knees
And roll my stockings down
And all that jazz

Start the car
I know a whoopee spot
Where the gin is cold
But the piano's hot
It's just a noisy hall
And all that jazz!

Oh, you're gonna see your Sheba shimmy shake
And all that jazz
Oh, she's gonna shimmy till her garters break
And all that jazz
Show her where to park her girdle
Oh, her mother's blood'll curdle
If she'd hear
Her baby's queer
For all that jazz!

No, I'm no one's wife
But, oh I love my life
And all that jazz!

That jazz!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:16 am
Sometimes, when I look at my children, I say to myself "Lillian, you should have remained a virgin."
-- Lillian Carter (mother of Jimmy Carter)

I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalog:
"No good in a bed, but fine against a wall."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Last week, I stated this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister, and now wish to withdraw that statement.
-- Mark Twain

The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible.
-- George Burns

Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.
-- Victor Borge

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
-- Mark Twain

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
-- Socrates

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
-- Groucho Marx

My wife has a slight impediment in her speech Every now and then she stops to breathe.
-- Jimmy Durante

I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.
-- Zsa Zsa Gabor

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
-- Alex Levine

My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.
-- Rodney Dangerfield

Money can't buy you happiness. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
-- Spike Milligan

I am opposed to millionaires... but it would be dangerous to offer me the position.
-- Mark Twain

Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP.
-- Joe Namath

I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.
-- Bob Hope

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
-- W.C. Fields

We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.
-- Will Rogers

Don't worry about avoiding temptation . as you grow older, it will avoid you.
-- Winston Churchill

Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty ... but everything else starts to wear out, fall out, or spread out.
-- Phyllis Diller

By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.
-- Billy Crystal
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:38 am
Good morning WA2K radio listeners and contributors. Well, It is going to be a lovely day here, and I hope you all can share it with me.

Welcome back, Ellinas, and that song was most unusual. I like allegories with their implications and I am glad that you explained in advance.

Glad to see that edgar played some Babs. Still quite a woman with a voice. Thanks, Texas.

My, my our Bob is up early with his bios. The only one that is totally familiar to me is June Carter Cash, but I think the song "All That Jazz" is great.
Love the quotes, buddy.

Well, need to have a cup of the old java, and then I will return.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
Good morning.

I love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote, Bob.

Remembering Bob Fosse:

http://www.applauseonline.com/images/Chicago~Live.jpghttp://www.nfi.no/sysimg/sisutitles/org/6794.jpg
http://www.musicals101.com/News/pgamepbl.jpghttp://media.bestprices.com/content/dvd/80/219382.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:24 am
Well, there's our Raggedy, listeners. Great montage, PA. I know that I have read or seen The Little Prince. Need to check that out.

Most of us probably saw the movie Chicago and I loved it. Well let's hear that song from Cabaret:

Cabaret
F. Ebb/J. Kander
What good is sitting...alone in your room
Come, hear the music play
Life is a cabaret, ole chum...come to the cabaret

Put down that knittin?...that book and the broom
It's time for a holiday
Life is a cabaret, ole chum...so come to the cabaret

Come taste the wine...come hear the band
Yes it?s time...for celebratin?
Right this way your table´s waitin?

No use permittin?....some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away
Life is a cabaret , ole chum...come to the cabaret

(instrumental break)

Come taste the wine...come hear the band
Come blow your horn...start celebratin?
Right this way your table´s waitin?

No use admmitin?....that ole prince of doom
Wipe all those smiles away
Life is a cabaret , old chum
Only a cabaret, old chum
So come to the cabaret
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:42 am
Well, listeners. I checked out The Little Prince, and no, I have not read it, but it sounds intriguing:

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who is was a french author, journalist and pilot wrote The Little Prince in 1943, one year before his death.

The Little Prince appears to be a simple children's tale; some would say that it is actually a profound and deeply moving tale, written in riddles and laced with philosophy and poetic metaphor.

WOW!

Now here's an interesting thing, folks. Last evening I watched a movie, Mistaken Identity. Strange that coincidence, no?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:01 am
Good morning radio world.

Queen
Calling All Girls
Words and music by Roger Taylor

Calling all boys calling all girls
Calling all people on streets
Around the world
Take this message a message for you
This message is old yeah
This message is true this message is
This message is this message is this message is

Love take a message of love
Far and near
Take a message of love for all to hear
For all to hear

Some sleepless nights in wait for you
Some foreign presence you feel
Comes seeping through
Some stream of hope
The whole world through
Spread like some silent disease
You'll get yours too
This message is this message is
This message is this message is

Far and near
For all to hear

Far and near
For all to hear

Calling all girls
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
Well, there's our Try, folks, in the company of Queen and calling all girls. <smile>

Well, since we're on a call girl segment, let's try this one:

No new year's day
To celebrate
No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away
No first of spring
No song to sing
In fact heres just another ordinary day
No april rain
No flowers bloom
No wedding saturday within the month of june
But what it is
Is something true
Made up of these three words that I must say to you

I just called to say I love you
I just called to say how much I care
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

No summers high
No warm july
No harvest moon to light one tender august night
No autumn breeze
No falling leaves
No even time for birds to fly to southern skies
No libra sun
No halloween
No giving thanks to all the christmas joy you bring
But what it is
Though old so new
To fill your heart like no three words could ever do.

And I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

Of my heart
Of my heart

More synchronicity? Francis just posted a red telephone booth on the where am I forum. Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
love the Chris Montez version of this tune:

When you're feeling sad and lonely there's a service I can render.
Tell the one who loves you only, I can be so warm and tender.
Call me, don't be afraid you can call me, maybe it's late but just call me.
Call me and I'll be around.

When it seems your friends desert you, there's somebody thinking of you.
I'm the one who'll never hurt you, maybe it's because I love you.

Now don't forget me, `cause if you let me, I will always stay by you.
You got to trust me, that's how it must be, there's so much I can do.

If you call, I'll be right with you. You and I should be together.
Take this love I long to give you. I'll be at your side forever.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
Good afternoon Tryagain.

Our PD might not know that The Little Prince was a movie with Richard Kiley (Man of LaMancha B'way) with pleasant songs by Lerner and Lowe.

The Little Prince (1974)
Directed by
Stanley Donen

Writing credits
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (story)

Plot Outline: A pilot, stranded in the desert, meets a little boy who is a prince on a planet.

Richard Kiley .... The Pilot
Steven Warner .... The little prince
Bob Fosse .... The Snake
Gene Wilder .... The Fox
Joss Ackland .... The King
Clive Revill .... The Business Man
Donna McKechnie .... The Rose
Victor Spinetti .... The Historian
Graham Crowden .... The General

Quote The Fox: It's only with the heart that one can see clearly. What's essential, is invisible to the eye
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:26 am
Mr. Turtle. Love that song, buddy. Thanks for the Montez version. (love that last name as well)

Good grief, Raggedy. I had no idea that The Little Prince was a movie. Thanks, PA. That would be worth watching, methinks.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
The film was a box office flop and got terrible reviews, Letty. But Bob Fosse was great, as was Gene Wilder. It's a rather sad story Letty. It was much more impressive on radio - "Let's Pretend" was the name of the radio show.
0 Replies