Free Speech versus Slander - What do you think?

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:50 pm
Quote:
A perjorative uttered by a Liberal is protected free speech. A perjorative uttered by a conservative is a vile, reprehensible, mean-spirited, libelous, slandering outrage indicative of total lack of ethics or compassion, and merits the soonest practical implementation of all possible sanction and the passing of even sterner laws with which to keep those miscreants and their evil ways from doing harm to enlightened, civilized society.

Yeah, that's right conservatives, you're the victims. You control the Congress, the Supreme Court and the Presidency, but you are the downtrodden. The major media hacks watch their every word to make sure they are on the White House message, but conservatives are the ones put upon every day by something in the air, not the airwaves, but the air. You feel them staring at you, or something.

You look out at that red red map and cringe because somewhere someone hasn't signed on to lower taxes on the rich, deepening the deficit and waging pre-emptive war willy-nilly. Poor things, you poor, put upon victims of the modern world, please, go take a nap and cry yourself to sleep so you can be strong enough tomorrow to smite your persecutors also known as the fig newton of your minds.

Joe( sick to death of the sycophants) Nation
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:06 pm
Buncha victimhood bein' claimed, that's for sure. Plenty of bitter meanness flyin' around, too. Can't say as it seems to me anything like the way you picture it, though, Joe.

I s'pose its all a matter of perspective.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:01 am
'Tis you know, but first you have to have perspective. Who's to blame for all the country's troubles? Why, not the power brokers or the kings of industry who are running the place, they are on our conservative's side, it must be those liberals who are messing everything up even though they seem to completely out of ammo. It must be them who are holding us back. (Turns on FOX. Yep yep. Yeah, I see. Once again it is the conservative idea holder who is misunderstood and victimized by those awful liberals.

Joe ( ) Nation
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
Well, they are unpopular. Can't deny that. But that's hardly victimizing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
You may not see it Joe - perspective and all - but I think commentary of the sort you just presented rather concretely makes my point.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:33 pm

Q3. Is the difference simply down to "He who has the greatest legal team"?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:07 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:

Q3. Is the difference simply down to "He who has the greatest legal team"?

I sometimes think so, Bib. There's an old sayin' in the law trade that goes "He with the most paper wins"
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:06 am
Maybe, but you would need a pretty big legal team to actually get anyone arrested for slander, I think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:11 am
We nasty liberals don't want anybody to have the same freedom of speech as us. If I call a conservative a skuzzball, I certainly don't condone his retaliating by calling me a wiznozzle. For one thing, I haven't the integrity or bible training of a conservative. I don't really know any better.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:36 am
timberlandko wrote:
False defamation - the concept embodying slander and libel - specifically is an abuse of the right of free speech, constituting a prosecutable offense.

rufio wrote:
Maybe, but you would need a pretty big legal team to actually get anyone arrested for slander, I think.

Let's be clear here: slander is not a crime. In other words, the police can't arrest someone for slander. Slander is a tort, a civil wrong. The worst you can do to someone who slanders you is sue them; you can't arrest them and put them in jail.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
Yeah, Joe - "Prosecutable Offense" is inaccurate terminology - I shoulda said "Actionable Transgression"; thats what torts are, pretty much, eh?

But then, in matters juridical, I'm just a dilletante - thats well established Laughing
0 Replies