Smart or Attractive?

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:30 pm
Good choice, Cinn, because sooner or later we're all gonna lose our attractiveness anyway. Gun or no gun. Wink
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
So far I've been quite surprised at all the votes for 'attractive'. Self esteem is supposed to be closely tied to a person's perception of their own intelligence.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:23 pm
Intelligence is a burden and a stigma in most societies in which one CAN be intelligent--I mean, where one has access to the necessary resources. So I guess I'm not talking about street smarts here, but an education.

Being hyper-literate, reading literature and studying history and philosophy, has no real function in US culture, and particularly no value. Knowledge is depressing, and causes one to rationalize each choice until one disappears up ones own a**hole.

I would much rather be stupid and gorgeous and happy and oblivious.

And people who say that this is shallow are thinking too hard about it. Or they are beautiful and don't really have to care.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
I picked dumb and attractive not because of how much more important I think it is to be attractive, but because of how happy morons always seem to be.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
Sorry that was so cynical.

Here's a rainbow:

http://www.dramainnature.com/_borders/ShiprockRainbowPoster.JPG
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
Quote:
peech inspediment

hope u don't mind paula j, i quoted you on the spoonerism thread...
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
peech inspediment

hope u don't mind paula j, i quoted you on the spoonerism thread...

DID I SAY you could do that ? Laughing I'm flattered, I made it up.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
Smile like a crazy bastid, i just went ahead and did it...
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
Seems that many are okay with one extreme- drop-dead gorgeous and dumb to the point of being unaware.

I suppose I agree... but most dumb people are probably aware of their limitations and even sadder still have aspirations they know they cannot reach because of them.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:38 pm
I'm still with Cinn on this one. Smart is the only way to go if given a choice methinks. I don't take compliments of physical attractiveness very easily and that is not because I am unattractive.. Physical beauty will only carry you so far (in the REAL world, not the Anna Nicole Smith world) and after that you better have something to back it up The old saying that beauty is only skin deep didn't come to be for no reason.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
A related question:

If you had to choose, would you prefer your spouse or partner "smart" or "attractive"? Not talking about flings, but about long term relationships or marriage.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:18 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
A related question:

If you had to choose, would you prefer your spouse or partner "smart" or "attractive"? Not talking about flings, but about long term relationships or marriage.

Smart and good natured (if i'm not being to picky!). But there has to be some physical attraction.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
paulaj wrote:
Cinnesthesia wrote:
A related question:

Smart and good natured (if i'm not being to picky!). But there has to be some physical attraction.

Exactly! I don't think you're being too picky at all on that!. Good physical chemistry is important, but good naturedness and a good sense of humor are right up near the top too.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
But what if you had to answer the original question of this thread, but for your current partner, not about yourself? What would you choose for them: looks or intelligence? Keep in mind that if you stayed in the relationship, you'd have to live with the consequences of your decision.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:41 am
I'd go smart. That way, unless dementia or Alzheimers set in, I'd still have great conversation when we couldn't do anything else. At least we could still talk about great sex and good looks. Smile
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:19 pm
I'm already smart -and- attractive. Why would I downgrade?

Being really attractive seems to get people farther in this world than being smart. Look at Jessica Simpson, Brittaney Spears, etc.

Of course, if we were talking Hawlking-Einstein-Darwin type smarts, I would choose that. As long as my attractiveness level was higher than a pile of snot. I'd want some reproductive value!
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
The question smart or attractive is very limiting, there are so many facets to a person that need to be considered.
One of my neighbors is smart but he embarrasses the hell out of his wife in front of people, not to be a jerk, he's just socially inept and blurts out obscure remarks, eeeew, cringe.

To answer Cins' question, I would pick smart. Isn't a well read well mannered guy a turn on? Oh yaaa.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:07 pm
I was going to say, "smart" is such a broad term.

I had a roomate who was extremely "smart" in the way of being booksmart, but he was probaby THE most socially inadept person I've ever met. That doesn't equal "smart" to me.

And I've met a bunch of Ivy leaguers that are the same way. They may be able to solve a kick-ass equation, but don't know how to speak.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
"Well rounded" is nice. Not a brainiac, socially skilled.

How about this, god in bed and won't embarass you in public. <snickers>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
I pick Slappy. He's got it all. Almost. The innocence is gonna be his downfall.

Actually, I have a thing for smart men who've had their noses broken. So - smart, and beat up lookin' for me.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 11:45:56