Balloons for solar energy?

neil

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:31 am
Only about 10% of 1370 watts per square meter reaches the surface (as sunlight) on the average. A few rare locations, average about 300 watts per square meter, at 1 pm on the longest day of the year. These locations are practical for harvesting solar energy. Unfortunately few humans live close by, with rare exceptions and about 200 kilometers is about the farthest we can send electricity, before losses become prohibitive. We could harvest the energy and build model cities around the solar receiving sites.
I suggest very large free flying, hot air and/or hydrogen balloons (we don't have enough helium for a million very large balloons) with a large steerable mirror to beam sun light through holes in the clouds to solar sites on the surface. These would serve all the northern hemisphere, except very close to the North pole. These would be launched near the Equator when winds will carry them North to be recovered months later near the Arctic Circle, late summer and early fall. At present recovery would be too costly in Antarctica, so this is a Northern Hemisphere solution. The balloons would fly at up to 30 kilometers, altitude late afternoon, sinking to perhaps 15 kilometers (hydrogen has negligible fire and explosion hazard that high) about sunrise. This would allow them to beam sun light to solar sites on the surface, up to 200 kilometers away in some directions.
SPS = solar power satellites are impractical, until we have cheap access to space, perhaps not then. Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:16 pm
How would they 'beam' sunlight to surface. You mean via reflection? That sounds like a lot of investment for little increase in power. How would you control the direction of the beam in a free flying balloon? A steerable mirror that coped with wind and rotation would use more power than it reflected. The mechanism to control it would complex and what if there isn't a hole in the clouds between the balloon and the collection site?

Sorry to be a negative Nelly. But even in ideal conditions one of your balloons could only transmit/reflect the same amount of light to the ground that it would collect if it was on the ground on a cloudless day.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:33 pm
Isn't 15-30kms a rather important patch of air for things like.....well, aeroplanes?

Extreme high temperature superconductors are where the solutions are. Once we have them we automatically gain a huge amount through cutting transmission losses and things like photovoltaic arrays out in the desert become practical.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:26 pm
15 kilometers is about 50,000 feet, so only the highest flying airplanes would be endangered from midnight to noon. The air is so thin above 25 kilometers, wind gust loading is puny, clouds rare and storms rare. Icing may be a serious problem and I agree a significant portion of the energy will be used to keep the mirror aimed properly, especially if the mirror swings like a pendulum 100 meters below the balloon.
I have also been holding my breath for 50 years expecting super conductors even at minus 200 degrees c to be available CHEAP. Any chance for 2005? Neil
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:20 pm
Quote:
I have also been holding my breath for 50 years expecting super conductors even at minus 200 degrees c to be available CHEAP. Any chance for 2005?

Laughing Not likely. Maybe 2050 if we're lucky, and we've got plenty of energy to last 'til then.

Thought of another slight issue. Who would own these things and how would they get permission to overfly national airspace?
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
Ownership could be a big problem. Those who helped the most would be first in line for the beam, but anyone could request the beam by turning on a beacon = $49.99 at Walmart? Likely few counties would get hostle about a free beam passing over their country. Perhaps Green Peace would make a large contribution, as they seem sure we have lots of options for alternative energy.
Even when the air is unusually clear there is about twice as much energy at 25 miles above sealevel as at one mile above sea level. When the beam is close to vertical, but the sun is close to the horizon, the advantage could be more than ten times. If the beam cannot reach anyone on the surface that wants it, it may occasionally be practical to suppliment the solar panels of a satellite in low Earth orbit, or assist telescopes detecting space junk in LEO = low Earth Orbit, or the beam could suppliment sports lighting, brighten predawn and dusk light levels, serve as an advertising gimmic... I think uses would be found most of the time.
I agree, energy delivered by balloons is costly, but SPS is even more costly and so are most other alternative energy ideas. Neil
0 Replies