Political Situation and Perespctives?

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:01 pm
With George Bush re-eclected into office what are you views on his plans for out country. Also what do you think about our situation in Iraq?Do you think that Bush will better it or only dig us into a worse situation?

Your opinions are appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 637 • Replies: 7
No top replies

binnyboy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:04 pm
Welcome, fellow Texan!

As for his plans for our country, he believes in trickle-down economics, which is flawed in the extreme. His plan is to get wherever he wants by lying as much as would be prudent, just like most politicians. So he's not going to come out to say the words "I endorse trickle-down economics", but anybody can see that whether you love him or hate him.

He is either under the notion that the rich got that way through their hard work or he a friggin liar about that too. Either way he's got a problem in my book.

He is part of a disturbing trend of mixing politics and religion, and he's a liar (or very mistaken) about that too:

"The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."
- President George Washington -

"The United States is a Christian nation founded upon Christian principles and beliefs."
- President George W. Bush -

He can argue whatever he wants about what the US has turned into, but I think GW knows better than GWB what the US was founded on.

As for Iraq, I don't have a clue what is going through his mind.

I think one of the few places he's got it right is in his support of stricter punishment, like the death penalty and the like. But I feel that this should be just a footnote.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:50 pm
The death penalty, cmon. Does the death penalty actually deter anybody from commiting crimes. When someone is commiting a crime, before they do it, do you think they are thinking . . . "oh, wait, i could get the chair for this". In my opinion, it is a cruel and inhumane practice. Not to mention inncoent people who arewrongly convicted and then killed.

You have to find out what problems cause the majority of crimes and fix them, not intimidate with a death penalty. Although, despite anything you do, there will always be people who commit crimes.

Arent you guys the only G7 country who still has the death penalty.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:35 pm
Haha you miss the point!
Actually you may have hit dubya's point right on the head but here's mine.
The death penalty should not be used as a method of deterring crime, but simply as an answer. It's just what we do to some people instead of keeping them locked up all their lives. It's expensive to keep them in prison. And I don't care about their lives. I don't care about any life. But I believe in the social contract. And that includes you, Etruscia, but not the people that break it, to whom we can do whatever the heck we feel like it. Cuz without the contract, there's nothing saying they deserve to not die.

I agree it's important to look at the causes of crimes. That's important. But the question many liberals (and I'm not necessarily putting you in that category)(and I think liberals are pretty swell folks)(and I think American conservatives generally suck) forget to address is what the heck do we do to the people that have ALREADY BROKEN THE LAW, and sometimes in very drastic ways (serial killers, rapists, etc)? We can't just let them run loose in our streets killing and raping. So SOMETHING has to be done. I'm one of the few that stands up and says let's kill them because that's the best answer. Not because they deserve it... nobody deserves anything. Because that is the best answer.
Honestly I'd prefer having a military-discipline-style labor camp to send them to... then they'd get to live and not be a drain on everybody else, but of course everybody else thinks that's too cruel and inhumane.
sigh
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:20 am
1) Let's not confuse ourselves by having a diatribe on the death penalty. The death penalty is there not to deter - but because we, as Americans believe there are certain crimes that deserve death.

2) However, to do so we hold a typical American paradox of Christian values and Non Christian actions.

America likes to hold contradictory statements in both hands and think they can be rectified. A few examples:

a) The love of money and the love of a Christian God who says that the wealthy have little chance of getting into heaven.

b) That forgiveness is what we should be practicing because that is what our God does - and we should kill others because they made a mistake. Yet every one of those lawmakers and jury members are expecting forgiveness on judgement day.

c) Our intend is what matters when God is judging our soul - but outcome (bottom line) is all that matters in business. So Monday through Saturday it is a telelogical world - and Sunday it is a Deontological world.

d) 'Once saved always saved' is a mantra in christianity along with 'without works faith is dead'. So Americans hold that whatever transgressions they do in business will be covered by thier God and they do good on sunday to cover the rest.

George Bush and the Right wing majority (God help us all) is the epitome of these contradictions. Promote freedom by kiling and invading others. Promote American and Christianity Values by killing others and doing whatever it takes to make a profit. Promote the seperation of Church and state by talking more about christianity and God than any other president in history. Show our love for others by slandering and burying thm in 529's much racking so deep that the rest of the loving Christians vote your way. Stregthen our country by selling our jobs to China - because that allows us to buy back goods made in sweat shops and coal mines where 8,000 deaths occur every year. This is the Christian America that we live in - and this is coming from a Christian.

America is at best a paradox and at worst a contradiction in its values - and by faithing these contradictions away instead of improving our nation we will continue to be this way.

We merely need to oppologize to the rest of the world.

However, this does not mean the rest of the world with thier lazzaiz faire attitude toward the worlds idiot nations is the right way either. It think, for the most part bigger nations on this planet simultaniously hate america for its wantoness to barge in and are glad that they don't have to do it because we are.

Look at Canada for instance - why spend the money on having a real standing Army when thier big hated brother to the south will provide one for them. France and Canada have always been there when they needed us in the past and that trend will continue until China is the new superpower.

There needs to be a blend of isolationism of France, Canada, Germany and others and the absolute invasionist theory of America and Britain. Right now what we have is a invasion by America and Britain with the vast majority of the price being paid by America - and all the other isolationist countries getting pissy that they cannot be part of the reconstruction plan.

But I have digressed. My predictions under Bush:

1) Patriot Act 2 will pass that will (eventually) be seen as unconstitutional.

2) Roe V Wade will be overturned and the nation will return to back ally abortions with coat hangers.

3) Our dollar will drop too far and our foreign nations will pull out increasing our debt. We will have to levy our power against them to keep ourselves from fully collapsing.

4) Iraq will have its elections in Jauary and a pile of people will be killed at the polls. This will flaw the results forever in the minds of the Iraquis. The Shiite population majority will gain control and the rest of the Muslim world will see them as puppets of the infidel and insugency will continue.

This will result in a greater presence of American troops and more will die. When this happens we will finally realize that we either need to draft individuals or we cannot win. We will pull out when that happens and claim a victory that will screw Iraquis for generations to come.

5) Since we have an unsustainable debt to spending ratio the two following presidents office will be soiled with bailing Bush out - because as he and Cheney said 'Regan proved that deficit spending does not matter.' Especially when Clinton follows you up.

5) Legislation agains Homosexual marrige will spill into other portions of the private sector and more state laws will be passed that state that gays cannot openly practice homosexuality and work in public schools or public offices that work with kids. (Christianity, in America, loves people so much they hate them.) These will later be repealed and found to be as unconstitutional as internment camps were in WWII - but restitution will not be paid to the people discriminated against.

That is what I see. We have a child in office who has never been told he is wrong. He goes AWOL for a year - it is called honerable service. He invades two countries - it is called heroic and strong. He drinks his way through Yale getting gentlemen C's and we call him Ivy League trained. He is put into office with the help of his Brother in Florida and Enron money and we call it legit. Like it or lump it - the majority of Americans love this idiot.

TTF
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:35 am
I defer to someone smarter than myself Smile

I think I noticed from context clues in other posts that you may be a philosophy teacher in the Houston area... you may have been mine haha. Did you teach at UH?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
thethinkfactory wrote:

That is what I see. We have a child in office who has never been told he is wrong. He goes AWOL for a year - it is called honerable service. He invades two countries - it is called heroic and strong. He drinks his way through Yale getting gentlemen C's and we call him Ivy League trained. He is put into office with the help of his Brother in Florida and Enron money and we call it legit. Like it or lump it - the majority of Americans love this idiot.

I completely agree with this. He is someone who has never had to accept responsibility or ill consequence for his many, many mistakes throughout life. And to this day people are making excuse after excuse for him.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:08 pm
Binny. Nope I teach at Cy-Fair College.

Free:

This concept lead us to, when asked, the President could not recall anything he would change in his presidency. Why? When everyone has been riding your jock from birth.

TF
0 Replies