Hello! I'm starting a new essay is this OK?

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 08:30 am
Hi! I have to write an argumentative essay for tomorrow. Here is a introduction. What do you think?
(Don't pay attention at the opinion, I'm just following my teacher's line of thought)

It has to be something short (500 words m.o.l.). I'm thinking about the arguments right now, but I don't know how far is this from a flawless starting point regarding punctuation and lg.
Thanks!

“Nuclear dispute
A nuclear weapon is a device that releases energy in an explosive manner. This is the result of nuclear fission, nuclear fusion or the two processes together. Examples of these weapons are atomic bombs, that use nuclear fission, and thermonuclear or hydrogen bombs, that use fusion. The differences between nuclear and conventional weapons are, fundamentally, the effects that are produced by nuclear weapons, such as radiation, high temperatures and health and environmental problems. Nowadays, there are nine countries that together possess around 15,000 nuclear weapons. More than one thousand weapons are ready to be launched in Russia and the United States. Donald Trump, US President, said in his first interview that he “would have no qualms about launching a nuclear strike”. The whole world is worried about this and its consequences. What will happen?”

Here is googledocs link (for those who want to highlight a specific element)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fFUbEl6P3jZVNJrhAh1LPBL0rv8wX9sR-6gENLuB54k/edit#
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 10:16 pm
@FDavidGomes,
FDavidGomes wrote:
This is the result of nuclear fission, nuclear fusion or the two processes together.

No one has ever developed a "pure fusion" device. Just "pure fission" and "the two processes together".

FDavidGomes wrote:
atomic bombs, that use nuclear fission,

Yes.

FDavidGomes wrote:
thermonuclear or hydrogen bombs, that use fusion.

These use "the two processes together". They are not "pure fusion".

FDavidGomes wrote:
The differences between nuclear and conventional weapons are, fundamentally, the effects that are produced by nuclear weapons, such as radiation, high temperatures and health and environmental problems.

Don't forget that nukes are vastly more powerful than conventional explosives.

If you set off a HUGE mountain of conventional explosives (far larger than anything that could ever fit on a weapon), and if you take the smallest possible nuke and then lower its yield even further by deliberate inefficiency, you might get the two explosions to equal each other in power. But that is taking things to unrealistic extremes.

For a more realistic comparison, the largest commonly-used conventional bombs have yields equal to about one half of a ton of TNT. Most conventional bombs are smaller than that.

MOAB bombs, which are probably the largest possible conventional bomb, and are so large that it isn't practical to use them in most circumstances, have yields equal to 11 tons of TNT.

The smallest possible nuclear weapons (small in size, weight and volume, without deliberately lowering their yield by making them inefficient) have yields equal to 10,000 tons of TNT. Lower nuclear yields are achieved only by deliberately making a weapon inefficient.

The smallest strategic thermonuclear warheads that are deployed in today's arsenals have yields equal to 100,000 tons of TNT. The US currently has 384 warheads deployed on our subs that have yields equal to 455,000 tons of TNT.

The US once designed, but never built or deployed, warheads for the Titan II missile that would have had yields equal to 35,000,000 tons of TNT. Had we ever built this weapon, it could also have been carried in bomb form by our stealth bombers.
0 Replies