The long walk to Canberra

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:52 am
I'm torn between my optimistic and pessimistic selves.

Michael will get to Canberra when Parly isn't sitting - JH won't be here, he spends his time in Kirribilli in Sydney and only comes to Canberra when he has to (parly sessions) because he knows how much we hate him - all our house of reps MPs are ALP and we were the only state or territory to vote for the republic. He says it's because his kids are at school in Sydney... well they were back in 96....

My lovely SO formerly of ATSIC often puts her passion for the indigenous cause down to her experience with aboriginal kids she's spent time with, as joyful as you could hope for, but she knows that by adulthood 80% of them will be in jail or sniffing petrol.

My favourite black power in sport moment is the Nicky Winmar (St Kilda) photo were he faced up to the crowd, pulled up his jersey pointed to his skin and said "I'm black and I'm proud".

Odd that sport seems to be a vehicle for indigenous expression, Mundine, Peachey, Farmer, etc
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
Indeed, that was a great photograph of Nicky Winmar, hinge:

My favourite black power in sport moment is the Nicky Winmar (St Kilda) photo were he faced up to the crowd, pulled up his jersey pointed to his skin and said "I'm black and I'm proud".

http://www.pcug.org.au/~mos/nicky/proud.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 09:05 am
In response to abusive racist taunts from Collingwood fans, Nicky Winmar pulled up his jersey to point with pride to his skin colour. Melbourne Age photographer, Wayne Ludbey, framed the moment in a colour photograph which was reproduced as the key image to the next day's Sunday Age report, titled Proud to be Black. The grace and economy of Winmar's figure and gesture give him the look of a Renaissance bronze sculpture.
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1050172757990_2003/04/18/nicky_winmar,0.jpg

The day the game changed
By Nabila Ahmed
April 19 2003

Picture: WAYNE LUDBEY

Nicky Winmar does not know why it took him so long. As a young footballer playing in Perth and as a child growing up in the West Australian country town of Pingelly, Winmar and his family had been subjected to such cruel racial taunts that he cannot bring himself to repeat them even now for the hurtful memories they invoke.

Even in the AFL, where the magical, maddening Winmar later became one of the game's most celebrated footballers, he could not get away from the swearing and "the black word".

On April 17, 1993, he had had enough. "We (St Kilda) hadn't won at Victoria Park for many years and it was an exciting day for us," Winmar recalled this week.

"But I remember all the racial comments that I was receiving from the crowd. I got sick and tired of what was happening.

"As an indigenous sportsperson, I wanted to show that I am a human being as well, no matter what colour I am.

"I said I was black and I was proud."

A decade on, the raw emotion of the incident has not faded, with people contacted by The Age this week making impassioned pleas to either set the record straight or add to what has already been recorded.

Some, like then St Kilda coach Ken Sheldon and then Magpie president Allan McAlister, would not be drawn at all.

McAlister, who was made to apologise for his comment that indigenous players would be respected "as long as they conduct themselves like white people", was dismissive. "Not again! It's been done to death in the past 10 years."

Kath Johnstone, then president of the Collingwood cheer squad, at which Winmar's gesture was directed, vehemently denied her group was responsible. "We copped the blame for what was said but it wasn't coming from us, it was coming from alongside of us," Johnstone said. "It would've been something simple like 'You black bastard' or something like that, you know?"

Questions have also been raised over Winmar's intended message. Collingwood's captain that day, Tony Shaw, thought the Saint was pointing to his heart, boasting of the courage shown by his team in their first win at Victoria Park in 17 years. Although Wayne Ludbey's Sunday Age photograph of Winmar ran with the headline, "Winmar: I'm black and proud of it", the Sunday Herald Sun published an almost identical picture with a caption suggesting he told the Collingwood fans, "I've got guts".

The latter interpretation was initially supported by Stewart Loewe - "I just thought he was pointing to his heart and saying, 'We showed a lot of heart' " - but Winmar is unequivocal. "I said it to the people in the crowd and they knew what I meant."

The words become inconsequential when measured against what the interpretation of his action has done for football and the community on the whole. The image of a defiant Aboriginal footballer remains one of Australian sport's most poignant.

For Colin Tatz, the visiting professor of politics at Macquarie University and co-author of Obstacle Race: Aborigines in Sport, that day is the "most significant in AFL history".

"If you go back to 1969, '70, '71, Syd Jackson . . . was very outspoken, made a lot of gestures to the crowd," Tatz said. "He made it quite clear that he was the victim of lots of things and everybody said, 'Why is this nigger making trouble?'

"It (Winmar's stand) was probably the most significant day in AFL history in the sense that an Aboriginal player indicated his pride in his colour and his ethnicity, and most of the press and certainly the players and supporters of his own team were equally proud of his gesture, of his defiance."

Tatz credits Winmar's stance as the turning point for indigenous footballers, even though the AFL did not implement its code of conduct until Michael Long spoke out about on-field racism in 1995. Even Damian Monkhorst, accused by Long on Anzac Day that year of calling him a "black bastard", himself believes the latter incident is what really brought about change for indigenous footballers.

"I think it's great that I was probably the person that started it all off," Monkhorst said. "I think it's great in what it's meant for the community, not only at AFL level but in country football as well.

"My name's probably the first person that's been tried but at the same time, I might be the guy who has made people and the community aware."

While it is widely acknowledged that things have improved markedly for indigenous players in the AFL, Tatz says there is still a long way to go. He believes rugby union is making more progress at the grassroots level, especially by aiding former Wallaby Lloyd McDermott in his attempts to develop indigenous players through the Lloyd McDermott rugby development program.

"I'm not saying the AFL hasn't cleaned up its act, but the AFL itself doesn't have jurisdiction over country leagues . . . where there are lots and lots of problems of Aboriginal teams being chucked out of leagues, stories about withdrawal of white teams as recent as 1999, 2000, leaving Aboriginal teams without an opponent," Tatz said.

But Winmar, who this week returned to Melbourne to play in the Yarra Valley Mountain District league, said things were improving at grassroots levels as well. "It's changed heaps. Things have been good for Aboriginal players."

The past 10 years have been eventful, often dramatic for Winmar, the first Aborigine to play 200 games.

He endured the disappointment of a grand final loss, the breakdown of his marriage and retired from football before moving back to Western Australia, where he has most recently been "in and out of shearing sheds" and working in iron ore mines.

But he still thinks about that day at Victoria Park, when even his direct opponent, Magpie backman Alan Richardson, felt "uncomfortable and embarrassed" about the racist slurs being hurled by his own fans.

"I think it (the gesture) did a hell of a lot. I am happy, when you look back at things like that and see the changes that were made," Winmar said.

"It was one of the best things I did. It will always be there. I mean, it's history."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
Laughing Snap!

A real team effort, hinge. I knew one of us would eventually get Nicky W's photograph posted - but now we have 2! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 09:12 am
That is a great photograph. But what an amazing moment! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:11 am
Today's editorial in the (Melbourne) AGE:

One step at a time for Michael Long
November 29, 2004

Michael Long's march is a moving attempt to remind politicians of the
plight of his people.

Step by step, former AFL footballer Michael Long is travelling from Melbourne to Canberra to speak to Prime Minister John Howard about the plight of indigenous Australians. Long says he is walking because this is how his ancestors moved about the country. The activity slows you down, gives you time to become better acquainted with the land you are striding through and the people who live in it. Long knows that his march is a symbolic gesture, and that the symbolic gesture of saying sorry to the stolen generations was dismissed by a Prime Minister who has preferred to take a more utilitarian approach to Aboriginal issues. Long, whose own parents were part of the stolen generations, was angry at Mr Howard for his unwillingness to apologise on behalf of those white Australians who had contributed to the suffering of Michael Long's people. But the former Essendon player has since apologised for calling Mr Howard a "cold-hearted prick" and says he looks forward to a peaceful meeting. "I think we need to be back on the agenda in Australia," he said last week. "We need action. We can't wait. People are dying."

On Friday, just days after Long set out on his trek, riots broke out on Palm Island off Queensland's coast, after local man Cameron Doomadgee died in police custody. The intense eruption of violent protest on the island recalls February's Redfern riots, which came after the death of 17-year-old Thomas "T.J." Hickey, an event the local black community blamed on a police chase. Both incidents speak of an underlying climate of anger and frustration among indigenous Australians, who were all but ignored during the recent election campaign. The reconciliation marches in 2000 raised awareness of Aboriginal issues, but that wider emotional engagement with black Australia has largely died away since. And yet many problems remain. One in five people in the nation's jails is an Aborigine or Torres Strait Islander, and the average life expectancy of indigenous Australians is 20 or more years less than other Australians.

Long should be applauded for attempting to re-engage the Prime Minister, while Mr Howard's decision to meet Long is a good one. Cynics might dismiss the event as a stunt, but sometimes such events have a momentum and power that help to bring about real change. Long's march provides an occasion for Mr Howard to take a less defensive stand on Aboriginal Australia. The Prime Minister, who is at the height of his power and popularity, should welcome the opportunity Long has given him. As a footballer, Long was a pioneer against racial vilification, helping to bring about changes within the AFL that contributed to the present flowering of Aboriginal talent at the highest level of the game. His present campaign is more ambitious, and his chances of success less assured, but the attempt is a timely and noble one.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Editorial/One-step-at-a-time-for-Michael-Long/2004/11/28/1101577349764.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:48 pm
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/29/wblongtoon_gallery__550x398,0.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:33 pm
That photo gave me goosebumps!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:37 pm
The one of Ricky Winmar pointing to his chest, k?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:23 pm
Long calls off walk
November 30, 2004 - 3:41PM/the AGE
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/30/long_sm_wideweb__430x215.jpg
Michael Long after reaching Wangaratta on Saturday.
Photo: Matthew Smithwick

Former AFL footballer Michael Long has called off his epic walk to Canberra after Prime Minister John Howard agreed to meet him on Friday to discuss the plight of indigenous Australia.

Long announced that a meeting time had been fixed after he reached Albury today at about 12.40pm, almost halfway through his 700-plus kilometre walk from Melbourne to Canberra.

Long said the meeting would be held at the prime minister's office in Parliament House in Canberra on Friday afternoon.

Long will be accompanied at the meeting by Victorian Aboriginal leader Paul Briggs, former AFL player Alan Thorpe and Long's cousin John Cusack, who have all walked with Long on the journey from Melbourne.

Patrick Dodson, the 'father of reconciliation' will also attend the meeting.

Long, a former champion player with Essendon, began his journey on November 21, vowing to walk all the way to Canberra until Mr Howard agreed to meet with him.

Mr Howard said last Friday he would meet with Long, but the ex-footballer continued his journey despite badly blistered feet until a time, date and place was set.

Long celebrated the confirmation of a meeting by soaking his aching feet in the Murray River just over the New South Wales border in Albury's Norieul Park. He has now walked about 400km.

"I'll be asking Mr Howard to use this term of office to make a concerted effort to visit as many Aboriginal communities as possible to see the problems first-hand," Long said in a statement.

"I believe it would help Mr Howard to better understand the complex problems facing our people.

"We'll also be asking the prime minister to put us back on the agenda - to give us his vision for Aboriginal Australia now and into the future."

With just three days to cover the remaining 400-plus kilometres to Canberra, he has called off the walk and will be driven to the outskirts of the national capital.

He will resume it on Canberra's Northbourne Avenue on Thursday and hold a community barbecue at Commonwealth Park on Lake Burley Griffin at lunchtime that day ahead of his meeting with Mr Howard.

Comment was being sought from Mr Howard's office.

- AAP
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Long-calls-off-walk/2004/11/30/1101577472186.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:32 pm
yep, that one. I Guess it wouldn't have the same effect not knowing what I now know about the circumstances.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:39 pm
It was a powerful moment, k. The Australian Football League was not exactly BIG on curtailing racism at the time. (I'm being polite here). He basically stood up & refused to take any more. What's more, showed the footy public his beautiful black body while he was at it! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
Whatever could the AFA gain from perpetuating racism? Ooooh, was the black league seperate?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:53 pm
Sorry, k, I had a lapse there Rolling Eyes ... It's the AFL (Oz Football League), not AFA, as I lead you to believe. Nothing to gain, they just did nothing to curb it. (On-field, behind the scenes racist taunting to undermine Aboriginal players. A lot of non-Aboriginal nasty stuff behind the scenes, too!) No major separate black league to my knowledge. But many Aboriginal footballers are "imported" to the AFL. Like Ricky Winmar, Michael Long & others.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
AFL -AFA - it's all pretty much the same to me. Seems like they'd just want good players. BUT, I guess all american sports had to get through racism too.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
No we don't have black leagues, the racism was more a cultural thing that that the sports administrators either turned a blind eye to or had a blind spot for.

Footballers and fans of any code aren't necessarily the most liberal of thinkers - see what happened in Spain recently.

Australians traditionally treat indigenous people incredibly badly (a real lack of empathy) and it's not about skin colour, more about cultural perceptions, fomented by parents and friends when you're growing up. Most Australians have precious little interaction with indigenous Australians so the misperceptions aren't eroded by experience.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:25 am
Msolgla, we were in Denver for Thanksgiving so I've lots of catching up to do.

What a beautiful and inspirational story! Now I hope the talks actually produce something constructive.

One of these days, you and Dys should start a thread on the abuse of native and aboriginal people. Dys has tried a couple of times without success. Maybe if it was a combination of the two countries it would have more impact. The atrocities here are every bit as bad as in Australia.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:30 am
Certainly there are a number of Oz A2Kers who care passionately about the topic Diane. And what about Canada?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
Long to meet PM
December 3, 2004 - 8:39AM/the AGE

Former AFL star Michael Long will meet Prime Minister John Howard today to discuss the plight of indigenous Australians.
Mr Long, had planned to walk from Canberra to Melbourne, to draw attention to his bid to demand a better deal for indigenous people.

He had walked about 400km of his journey when Mr Howard committed to the meeting, set down for today.

An early visit to the federal parliament yesterday was marred when security guards forced Mr Long to remove an Aboriginal flag he was carrying outside Parliament House.

Ahead of their meeting, signs were not good for Mr Long convincing Mr Howard to change the government's policies on indigenous affairs.

Mr Howard said Mr Long had turned down an invitation to join the National Indigenous Council (NIC), a government-appointed advisory body which will meet for the first time in Canberra on December 9.

"I should make it plain that our principal source of information on indigenous issues from indigenous people will be that advisory committee and we're not going to, in any way, change the course of policy," he said.

Mr Long said he rejected the NIC offer because he was not satisfied the new body would adequately replace the directly-elected Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC).

"I did consider (joining the NIC) but we needed something stronger - we needed an identity," he said.

"ATSIC has almost been demolished - there's no voice anymore."

- AAP
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:55 pm
Triumphant end to Long's march
By Meaghan Shaw
Canberra, December 3, 2004/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/02/03LONG_wideweb__430x265.jpg

With aching limbs and blistered feet, Michael Long walked the last leg of his journey through Canberra yesterday, joined by 300 supporters and politicians, including Labor leader Mark Latham.

Wearing a T-shirt saying, "Where is the love", the former Essendon footballer received a rapturous welcome in the nation's capital. But not so outside the nation's Parliament.

Long set out from Melbourne on November 21, seeking a better deal for indigenous people. He arrived in Albury on Tuesday then drove to Canberra after arranging a meeting today with Prime Minister John Howard.

But at Parliament House yesterday, security guards forced him and his supporters to remove an Aboriginal flag they were carrying while posing for photographs in the forecourt.

Labor's parliamentary secretary for indigenous affairs, Warren Snowdon, said the flag was recognised as an official flag under the Flags Act.

Speaker of the House of Representatives David Hawker has agreed to find who authorised the security guards' actions against Long.

Mr Howard yesterday signalled there would be no change in the Government's policies on indigenous issues.

He said the Government's hand-picked National Indigenous Council was its principal source of advice on indigenous issues. The council is to replace the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission.

Long said he was seeking a formal commitment from Mr Howard to work with indigenous people to improve their future.

"It is a national state of emergency and I beg for his mercy to help us," he said. "Because our people, my people, your people are dying in our backyards... It's not just my problem, it's our problem."

Mr Latham congratulated the sports hero for lifting the profile of indigenous issues. "Everyone's got to think about and work hard for solutions for indigenous Australians, ending poverty and making sure we've got genuine reconciliation," he said.

Other politicians joining the march included Labor MP Peter Garrett, Greens leader Bob Brown and the only Aborigine in Parliament, Democrats senator Aden Ridgeway.

"It's often the simple things like deciding to walk from Melbourne to Canberra that captures the imagination of the nation," Senator Ridgeway said. "The Prime Minister is the only one that can show leadership and not appeal to an existing prejudice."

The Government's sole representative was Bill Heffernan who has been actively lobbying Long to reconsider the Government's offer to join its indigenous council. "Longy is a shining example of how you can make the most of life," he said.

But Long said he consulted his elders, who advised against it.

Former Victorian premier Joan Kirner attended a barbecue after the walk, and said Long had been inspirational.

"It's really sad that it coincided with Palm Island, but it makes the point that the situation is now drastic," she said. "We're at six minutes to midnight, so let's hope this will act as a wake-up call."
0 Replies