Venice in the Seventies

Munchnmonkey

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 02:03 pm
Ahhhhhh, and then there was Titos! Still there. Still amazing food!!!
0 Replies

peachfish1

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 04:16 am
@Michael Katon,
Hi Michael My brother John Lambdin was the guitar player in the canalagtors from the start for many years, He toured with the Ditty Bops in the US and Europe. Sadly he just passed away Feb 4 1016 Still making music, His ashes will be scattered in Venice. He wanted to be were the action is He loved Venice
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2016 09:31 am
@peachfish1,
May John Lambdin rest in peace.

As you know if you read the early part of the thread, I loved the Canaligators. I think it was on Sundays that they gathered and played at length and we opened all seven front windows so we could hear the blasting music better..
0 Replies

judyshelton

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 08:00 pm
Does anyone remember a singer/musician names Beverly Saunders, who played at the Come Back Inn? I'm wondering what happened to her.

Judy Shelton [email protected]
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:20 am
@judyshelton,
Sorry, I don't remember her.
0 Replies

holmes stoner

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:02 pm
@Coyoteredhawk,
I am Butch Stoner, one of the original owners of the Blue Lagune Saloon. If you have any photos of the place or Hook and the Band, can you e mail them to me at [email protected]. I would really really appreciate them.

thanks
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:22 pm
@holmes stoner,
Hi, Butch. I don't have any photos of it, not sure if I was ever in it. I did look it up on google images and got nowhere until I looked up Blue Lagoon Saloon Venice on regular google. There's at least a youtube link there, done in 2010.
I also so saw a Blue Lagoon Saloon Marina del Rey title on the google list.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey, here's Moe Stavnezer writing -
http://www.virtualvenice.info/nobody/mstav.htm

He was a good friend of ours, but we've lost touch.

I can't quite tell when he wrote that.
0 Replies

BruceF

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Anyone know what year the Brandywine closed -- not related to Woodland Hills restaurant.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 07:08 pm
@BruceF,
I could only guess and would probably be way off. Maybe a friend will remember, if I remember to ask.
0 Replies

cynthia wolff

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 04:39 pm
@Used2bZoom,
I use to follow Severance with a bunch of people...Nancy McCullough, Martine, Ron, I remember you Zoom...Great great time...breakfast afterwards at Zucky's or the coffeeshop on Venice Blvd...
cynthia wolff

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 04:50 pm
@lbgrob,
I was in Jaya and remember your mom and you!! I have some pictures of you and Judy from a parade on West Washington...I painted the mural and am also on it...Many happy happy times to look back on but it was tough too and still hard to get by and find a decent place to live...I look back at the early 70s with joy...after 1974 things started to go bad in Venice and a lot of people moved out...
I lived there until 1999!!! The place on Windward was Jergens...never had a real name...German's owned it..Anna the waitress, the old lady cooked, the son cooked, breakfast for $1.25...
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 06:18 pm
@cynthia wolff,
Hi, this is Jo Cunningham, aka ossobuco, who started this thread. We had a gallery, me for a sadly short time/and him with theatergroup after us.

Glad to see you.
I've just been rereading the thread and saw about Jaya earlier..
I also was there until late '98. I also photo'd w. washington.
(where the hell are those photos?)

A friend and I, Nancy Giffen and I, both landscape architects and neighbors, photoed the walk streets.

I still have the slides and so on.

We tried to write it up, but varied. Tried writing up our separate views and stopped.

But the photos are still there in my closet..

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 06:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I lived there from late '73. The landscape architecture stuff was later.
0 Replies

Kkswiss13

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I appear to very late to the thread here... but just googling and found this. My father was Frank Kalapos and he and Betty owned the Comeback Inn in the 70's. Yes Not only did Rickie Lee Jo eat play there she got her start there and cut her first album. She sent a signed copy to my father as a thank you. I spent 6 summers as a kid on Venice Beach, at the Comeback Inn, Tommy's liquor store next door and Rose the Queen of Junk across the street. Also Zephyr, Dave? Sooo many great memories. Thanks for letting me find this! [email protected]
lbgrob

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2023 05:02 pm
@cynthia wolff,
Hey Cynthia,

Would love to see the pic... if you cant post here... can you send me a copy to my email address [email protected] (grobbler (at) Yahoo (dot) com)
Mame

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2023 10:46 am
@lbgrob,
Sad to tell you but Ossobucco (Jo) died a few days ago, but I hope you all continue to post here. She would love it. I met her 15 years ago in ABQ and we spent a day walking around touring art galleries and funky stores. Great fun. We both paint and love all things Italian and had many other things in common. I miss her posts.
51yearsago

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2023 05:04 pm
So I played with a bunch of jazz musicians at a place called Peope's Venice --- a community center there. Fusion guys. Great piano player, sax too. Piano was a custodian in a school, another worked "waste management" but damn they could play. Drummer was just a monster. Improv could last for an hour. I was the only white boy, hippy kid but welcome to sit in and play guitar as long as I knew my place. What a great time to be alive. Randy Ross played 2nd tenor before he moved to Australia.
hightor

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2023 06:15 am
@51yearsago,
That sounds great! Sitting in with competent musicians is such a fantastic experience. Who are your jazz guitar influences, if you don't mind my asking?
51yearsago

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 10:01 pm
@hightor,
Funny you ask ... Green, Matheny, Burrel, DiMeola, McLaughlin all come to mind but I was never a fave of the rapid fire, blazing speed guys as some on this ist are. More melodic players are tops. There is something to take and learn from every player. Clapton once said that he could walk into any number of bars and find someone who blew him away ... and he would learn a tidbit from them.
0 Replies