what makes religion true?

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:56 pm
What makes religion so believable? Just because someone wrote about something does not make it necessarily true. People die for a belief that they do not even know exists. why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,325 • Replies: 34
No top replies

The Axonist

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:34 pm
and just because a lot of people believe in it does not mean that it is correct and true.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:23 am
Truth is not determined by popularity polls, and faith ultimately has little to do with reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:30 am
Re: what makes religion true?
The Axonist wrote:
What makes religion so believable?

If you have heard of the expression "What you choose to believe..."...

...you have your answer.

One can "choose to believe" anything.

If you choose to believe you can train an elephant to walk a tightwalk stretched across the Grand Canyon...it is yours to "believe."

Quote:
Just because someone wrote about something does not make it necessarily true.

What people choose to believe...and "the truth"...are often not even distant relatives.

Quote:
People die for a belief that they do not even know exists. why?

Just because!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:49 am
I think the crucial element for religions to grow in popularity is to present a promise of a world better than the one we have to the faithful, which is, unfortunately, not a difficult task.

If the world could be made more just, and people more prosperous, and death eliminated, there would be very little religion.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
I disagree with Frank and to a point Asherman.

1) You can volit yourself - reasonably - to believe any-old-thing. I can't will myself to believe I am flying right now or will myself to believe that I am NOT typing right now. The mind is not that powerful and I think we make ourselves God's if we think we can.

The mind is more subtle. I can will myself to believe that a conversation took place in a different way - or even will myself to remember something 'falsley' - but there has to be a grain of truth in it to be manipulated.

However, this does not attack Frank's concept - and I don't think he meant it so strongly. Religion could just be delusions of others writting in a coherent enough way as to be hard to disbelieve.

I agree with Asherman that faith has little to do with reason - but it shouldn't be this way and proper believers do not believe blindly.

I think Asherman (and other believers) have had experience with an other. This experience is like other experiences a person has. The more experience that a person has with that 'other' the more he comes to understand it.

This is a slow building of data that comes to be stated as inductive reasons why one believes. Asherman has a very well reasoned and deep understanding of the other he comes to believe in.

This 'other' as being immaterial is not the same as measuring material things - however. Often, as in quantum physics, you cannot measure an immaterial (energy for instance) directly - you must measure it indirectly - by measuring its effects.

I, like Asherman - I believe - have measured the effects of the impact of this other on our lives and have concluded that it is more reasonable to believe in an other than not. This is faith and inductive reasoning at it's best.

Frank has said that mine and Asherman's experiences are arbitrary and can be measured in multiple ways - and thus any conclusions about religion amount to a guess. (Corrections if necessary Sir Frank. Wink ) I think his argument has bite - but for the astute observer - the careful measurer - the proper believer - this argument can be dissolved through careful analysis of the experiences had by the experiencer.

The real question here is how Asherman (a buddhist) and myself (a Christian) can both be right?

I think we are both partially blind and have our hands on different parts of the same elephant.

TTF
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:46 am
Re: what makes religion true?
The Axonist wrote:
What makes religion so believable? Just because someone wrote about something does not make it necessarily true. People die for a belief that they do not even know exists. why?

Religion has its own "gravitas."
The expression "100 million Chinese can't be wrong" (or whatever) has a certain amount of truth to it.
For instance, in the stock market, if a stock is selling off and going down in price, a person could buy the stock in the hope that it will now go up. But this is not a wise strategy. It is wiser to either short the stock or simply not buy it as it generally pays to follow the herd. Or, in other words, don't buy a stock that has 100 million Chinese sitting on it.

Religion is simply a useful model of how to understand how Life, the Universe and Everything works.
Those religions that have staying power such as Hinduism, Christianity, Islam and Judaism (my personal favorite. Hey, maybe that's because I'm a Jew! Very Happy ) serve as useful models to investigate.

And that is the crux of the matter. You can investigate religion. You can verify whether or not something is true or useful for YOU.
All (real, as opposed to invented recently) religions can be tested and verified, if you so choose.
But, like all things in the world, if you aren't interested, then why bother?
"If people don't want to come to the ballpark, you can't stop 'em."

It all depends on what you want.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
I disagree with Frank and to a point Asherman.

1) You can volit yourself - reasonably - to believe any-old-thing. I can't will myself to believe I am flying right now or will myself to believe that I am NOT typing right now. The mind is not that powerful and I think we make ourselves God's if we think we can.

Sounds like you substituted the word "can" for "cannot" in the first sentence of this paragraph. Otherwise...it dosn't make sense.

Quote:
The mind is more subtle. I can will myself to believe that a conversation took place in a different way - or even will myself to remember something 'falsley' - but there has to be a grain of truth in it to be manipulated.

Some people are able to manipulate better than you! <He said smilingly.> Laughing

Quote:
However, this does not attack Frank's concept - and I don't think he meant it so strongly. Religion could just be delusions of others writting in a coherent enough way as to be hard to disbelieve.

I agree with Asherman that faith has little to do with reason - but it shouldn't be this way and proper believers do not believe blindly.

Almost ever "believer" I've ever known has "believed blindly." That includes all the theists, atheists, and everyone in between. ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM "believes blindly"

Quote:
I think Asherman (and other believers) have had experience with an other. This experience is like other experiences a person has. The more experience that a person has with that 'other' the more he comes to understand it.

This is a slow building of data that comes to be stated as inductive reasons why one believes. Asherman has a very well reasoned and deep understanding of the other he comes to believe in.

Sounds to me as though you "believe" this.

Frankly, I don't know for sure if Asherman has a very well-reasoned and deep understanding behind his beliefs...but I've never seen any reasonable evidence that this is so.

Quote:
This 'other' as being immaterial is not the same as measuring material things - however. Often, as in quantum physics, you cannot measure an immaterial (energy for instance) directly - you must measure it indirectly - by measuring its effects.

I, like Asherman - I believe - have measured the effects of the impact of this other on our lives and have concluded that it is more reasonable to believe in an other than not. This is faith and inductive reasoning at it's best.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean...but it sounds like a very convoluted way of saying..."I am making some blind guesses about things that I do not know for sure...and I just don't want to acknowledge them as blind guesses." :wink:

Quote:
Frank has said that mine and Asherman's experiences are arbitrary and can be measured in multiple ways -

No...Frank has never said that.

Quote:
... and thus any conclusions about religion amount to a guess. (Corrections if necessary Sir Frank. Wink ) I think his argument has bite - but for the astute observer - the careful measurer - the proper believer - this argument can be dissolved through careful analysis of the experiences had by the experiencer.

Yes...I've had many theists and atheists say that same thing to me...and to date, neither side has ever been able to "dissolve" my argument even a tiny bit.

Why don't you give it a try!

Quote:
The real question here is how Asherman (a buddhist) and myself (a Christian) can both be right?

I think we are both partially blind and have our hands on different parts of the same elephant.

You left out the people who "believe" there are NO GODS.

I am interested in how you can resolve the issue of people saying exact opposites about REALITY...and both be right or correct.

In debate with me...both sides often use the same evidence and come to conflicting and diametrically opposed conclusions.

Isn't it possible that none of you are "partially blind"on the nature of REALITY (said as nicely and respectfully as possible)...but rather than all of you are completely blind...and just don't want to acknowledge that you are?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
The main thing that makes religion so believable is repetition, and the fact that it gets drilled into people's heads at the earliest stages of development. The brainwashing begins right around the time you are able to speak, in most cases, handed down and jammed forcibly into fresh, clean minds by people who have also been brainwashed from their earliest moments of cognition.

A message repeated over and over to a young impressionable mind is going to get in there, and it's going to get stuck deep. And in the case of christianity, you are taught to never question it, because that would be a sin.

People have been doing this to their kids for centuries, which is why it is so prevalent. And people are sheep, which keeps the cycle going. Larry used the expression "100 million chinese can't be wrong", and that makes sense, insofar as it regards the neverending cycle of religion.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:27 pm
kickycan wrote:
The main thing that makes religion so believable is repetition, and the fact that it gets drilled into people's heads at the earliest stages of development. The brainwashing begins right around the time you are able to speak, in most cases, handed down and jammed forcibly into fresh, clean minds by people who have also been brainwashed from their earliest moments of cognition.

A message repeated over and over to a young impressionable mind is going to get in there, and it's going to get stuck deep. And in the case of christianity, you are taught to never question it, because that would be a sin.

People have been doing this to their kids for centuries, which is why it is so prevalent. And people are sheep, which keeps the cycle going. Larry used the expression "100 million chinese can't be wrong", and that makes sense, insofar as it regards the neverending cycle of religion.

The only problem with your theory is that no one I know or grew up with did what you described or thinks the way you describe.
Practically all of my childhood, high school and college friends are of a different religion than they grew up with or of no particular religion at all.
Many, if not most, people I have met throughout my life follow this same pattern.
I don't remember knowing anyone personally who believe whatever it is they believe because that is what they had been taught (or brainwashed with) since their youth.
Most of the Orthodox Jewish adults that I know today have done many different things in their many years, despite what they had been taught as a youth.
And, the majority of non-observant Jews that I know (which is a lot more than the observant ones) have completely rejected religion.
The same is true of Christians I know.
0 Replies

The Axonist

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
If 100 million people would go kill people because it is there belief does not make it right. Majority does not always make the right choice and how do we know that religion is the right answer. If religion turns out not to be real and just some false explaination for what happens when you die doesn't that create false hope for people? If people would believe that religion does not exist then they would have no motive to be a good person. Is religion really just a form of propaganda for people to do be kind to others?

kickycan wrote:

If christians were never meant to question it wouldn't that mean that there is something hidden that was not meant to be discovered.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
Frank:

You are right about the can and cannot switch - it wouldn't make sense.

I also hear you when you say that believers tend to be blind believers - even athiests.

TTF
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
kickycan wrote:

The only problem with your theory is that no one I know or grew up with did what you described or thinks the way you describe.

And that is where the "100 million chinese can't be wrong" part comes in. There are enough people in the world who have been taught to believe in god without question from the time they were children, and it has been happening for such a long time, that it is ingrained in the collective consciousness and given enough credibility to keep the cycle repeating.

Of course there are exceptions, but do you really think that the majority of religious people in the world never had it taught to them as a child?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:24 pm
kickycan wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
kickycan wrote:

And that is where the "100 million chinese can't be wrong" part comes in. There are enough people in the world who have been taught to believe in god without question from the time they were children, and it has been happening for such a long time, that it is ingrained in the collective consciousness and given enough credibility to keep the cycle repeating.

Of course there are exceptions, but do you really think that the majority of religious people in the world never had it taught to them as a child?

Ah, yes, well that does make sense.
But whereas you seem to take a dim view of this "collective unconsciousness," I view it as a positive.
It would seem to me, vis-a-vis the 100 million Chinese, that anything that has permeated the human psyche to such an irreversible degree must have some sort of purpose and meaning.
For instance, one could say that more hedonistic practices such as casual sex; murder; the oppression of the weak by the strong; etcetera, are also ingrained in the human psyche and that various cultures and morays encourage those sorts of behaviors, but even a non-religious, rational view of things would place this sort of wanton hedonism in the "wrong" category as being self-destructive and counter - purposeful.
It would seem that hedonism, despite being part of the "collective unconsciousness" is not a system of ideas that even "100 million Chinese" can enforce or promulgate for any length of time.
The religious restrainers of thou shalt not's seem to trump hedonism.
That implies that religion is more powerful or less counter-productive...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:35 pm
There are indeed exceptions, kicky, as you say. I've known several people who came to religion at a later age. Not everyone gets it drummed into their heads as children and then some do, grow up to reject it and then come back to it later in life.
Like most things in life, it's not an either/or situation.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:01 am
What makes a religion true?

If it is undisputable, it is after all from an almighty, infinitely wise God. How to know if it's undisputable? study it, test it. The moment a religion can't answer your question
you will then know it's teaching is deficient, it's beliefs baseless.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:25 am
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:06 am
CountDigit wrote:
Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued)

Nonsense!

Every indication is that it is a blind leap!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
The Axonist wrote:
If 100 million people would go kill people because it is there belief does not make it right. Majority does not always make the right choice and how do we know that religion is the right answer. If religion turns out not to be real and just some false explaination for what happens when you die doesn't that create false hope for people? If people would believe that religion does not exist then they would have no motive to be a good person. Is religion really just a form of propaganda for people to do be kind to others?

kickycan wrote:

If christians were never meant to question it wouldn't that mean that there is something hidden that was not meant to be discovered.

In this last sentence is the crux of the matter impying a taboo inculcated in us against discovering our true nature. This is the subject of Alan Watt's book, "The Book: on the Taboo against knowing who you are."

Religion, as spoon-fed in the churches has lost its mystery and meaning, and that's why for so many people it plays no part in their lives. I was reared with no religion whatsoever and after many years on a spiritual quest have found peace, but my spirituality has no relation to the supernatural gunk presented in the churches. My religion has everything to do with nature because, when all is said and done, what else is there?

Alan Watts once made the statement, "Christians didn't know what to do with Christ, so they kicked him upstairs." This means that Christianity went supernatural at some point and alienated itself from nature, i.e., instead of arising from nature it imposed itself on nature from above, a move that was wont to produce what we have now, believers and non-believers with no room for truth-seeking.

There is a story on this subject related by Joseph Campbell in his book, "The Power of Myth." It's about the Grail King. "The Grail represents the fulfillment of the highest spiritual potentialities of the human consciousness." Joseph Campbell says,

"The Grail King, for example, was a lovely young man, but he had not earned the position of Grail King. He rode forth from his castle with the war cry "Amor!" Wel, that's proper for youth, but it doesn't belong to the guardianship of the Grail. And as he's riding forth, a Muslim, a pagan knight, comes out of the woods. They both level their lances at each other, and they drive at each other. The lance of the Grail King kills the pagan, but the pagan's lance castrates the Grail King.

What that means is that the Christian separation of matter and spirit, of the dynamism of life and the realm of the spirit, of natural grace and supernatural grace, has really castrated nature. And the European mind, the European life, has been, as it were, emasculated by this separation. The true spirituality, which would have ome from the union of matter and spirit, has been killed. And then what did the pagan represent? He was a person from the suburbs of Eden. He was regarded as a nature man, and on the head of his lance was written the word "Grail." That is to say, nature intends the Grail. Spiritual life is the bouquet, the perfume, the flowering and fulfilment of a human life, not a supernatural virtue imposed on it.

And so the impulses of nature are what give authenticity to life, not the rules coming from a supernatural authority—that's the sense of the Grail."
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:27 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
CountDigit wrote:
Hank Hanegraaff said, "Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence." (11:3 continued)

Nonsense!

Every indication is that it is a blind leap!

Can you state one?
0 Replies