Church Youth Group

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:33 pm
Hi all. Im a volnteer at my church with the youth group. for all you out there at are involved with church or perhaps know a thing or two about having good clean fun with kids, I am here seeking your help and advice.

What do you know about getting them involved? Getting them excited and having fun? We do things but they seem to have fun then get mad at certain out comes. I chaulk that up to be kids. Im running out of ideas of things to. Any ideas for games or things to help them have fun would be greatly appreicated guys and gals. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:45 pm
What facilities do you have access to?
What age group are you working with?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:49 pm
well our church has a gym and there are places around that we could use (i.e. playgrounds and parks and what not) we also have a youth center that has pool tables, ping pong (a personal favorite), air hockey a few old arcade games, foos ball and sound equipment for bands .... the ages range from 10 to 18... mostly in the 14 to 17 range though
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:53 pm
Got access to any kitchen/food prep areas?
How many kids?
How would your church feel about activities that encourage/teach co-operation? (I know some congregations are more into competition than co-operation, so it's best to know up front)
Any seniors/retirement homes nearby?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:58 pm
yep got a kitchen in the gym area ( family development center is the "term" eveyone uses) we get about 20 to 45 kids... we try to teach co-operation... but their competivitive spirit comes out most of the time... and there are retirement homes about... yes... we are trying to get into missions as well (one area the youth is lacking)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
take 'em to kicky's for a video party....I hear he has the latest and greatest.....
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:02 pm
trying to stay in favor with the parents... though that would def. win over the guys
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:09 pm
I'll be back with some ideas for you when I'm awake again, Seed.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:10 pm
ok night night.. thanks by the way Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:38 pm
My kids were in a parish youth group for a while and their favorite things to do were the outings. They'd go bowling as a group and I remember everybody wanted to participate when they went to "Zoolights" -- one of those holiday light things... at the zoo.

Most of the kids found that helping at the "soup kitchen" of the nearby big town was an eye-opener and something they felt very good about. They also liked caroling within the small town where we live. That was a once a month activity and very popular... also something that each one felt was important to put on their senior resumes.

Frankly, just going to church to play ball wasn't much of a draw. They needed to feel like what they were doing was a little bit different and more meaningful (of course... I have NO IDEA what kind of meaning they got from bowling! Very Happy).

They also liked planning and helping with activities for the younger kids.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:19 am
Hmm, I did such professionally (even taught that at university) - but neither exactly for church groups nor "in general" (it was more specific, call it "preventive!).
But I supervised a couple of colleague/volunteers, who worked in church groups, too.

ehBeth already asked most of the practical questions, I could think of.

And Piffka added the -IMHO- most important 'theoretical' question:
what is the intenet of this group? Getting the youth closer to church? Teaching church doctrines in another way?
Only for members of your church or others as well?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:54 am
well in IMHO we are trying to get the youth closer to the churc and God and to have fun with each other in the process. the youth group is open to al those who wish to come. we do not exclude those who are not memebers... if that was the case then we wouldnt be doing our job. thanks for all the replies so far guys.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:37 pm
Piffka has an excellent point. Most 14-17 year olds are sure that they are grown up--if only the cruel adult world would realize this.

Service projects are a good idea--not only are the kids improving the world, but they will be developing organizational skills.

What problem exists in your community that could be helped by 15-or 20 good-hearted and inexperienced kids?

Musings from the top of my head:

The weather is getting too chilly for neighborhood beautification, but spring will come. Start thinking about a local area that would look better without litter.

The mailing dates for packages for the troops overseas have come and gone. Can you organize Valentine packages for the troops? Easter baskets?

Contact Agency for the Aging to see whether they could use some strong backs and young minds.

Food banks are going to be low on supplies come January. Can your kids collect canned goods and cleaning supplies?

Field trips: Fire house, police station, local ambulance center. Think about destinations that would show the kids how the community works.

What about a holiday party for little kids.

Talk to the Marines about Toys for Tots--they always need volunteers to wrap presents.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:43 pm
We have already brought up the Toys for Tots... the other ideas are great Noddy.. Thank you very much Smile also thinking about wrapping presents as a fund raiser... i really like the idea about the the food bank. i have thought about seeing if i could get them to work at a food kitchen... but im not sure if they would get anything out of it
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
Here's a thought... get a copy of the September 2004 Ode magazine and see the article called "Dude, Where's your community?" It has 20 questions for you to answer about your community. I couldn't find it online and if you need it, I can copy it. Great stuff for kids to learn about their community.

Question 1 -- Look out your front door at your nearest tree. What is it?

Q-2 -- From where you are sitting, point north.

etc.
0 Replies