Weaned Away From the World!

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
In his unorthodox play, OUR TOWN, Thornton Wilder portrayed the dead sitting in chairs and making observations about the world of the living.
The comment that they were becoming "..weaned away from the world..." just recently gave me something to ponder.

Do we have a sense about this weaning? A young friend of mine, who has a rare type bone cancer, observed that he had arrived at a conclusion about his life, that he was being prepared to be weaned. He was quite stoic about the entire thing. Stoicism must have been Wilder's basic philosophy.

and your evaluation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 33
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:12 pm
Letty, have you seen Tim Burton's movie 'Big Fish'? One of the central messages is that when you know how you are going to go, you can survive everything else. It's a beeyootiful movie.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
No, Cav. I haven't seen that Tim Burton flick, but it's so odd that you mention it. I just found out that Robert De Niro is starring in another of Wilder's masterpieces, The Bridge of San Luis Rey. Fabulous novel with the same Zeno zest. I would really love to see that movie.

and, of course, my friend, You just brought to mind Grey's Ode on the Distant Prospect of Eton College.

"...........where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise...." So many folks miss that significance by misquoting it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:28 pm
Ahh...rent Big Fish Letty, I just watched it for the second time last night...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:32 pm
I will surely do that, Cav. I do hope it has a glorious ending. <smile>

And do you share Zeno's philosophy? Think about it and let us know.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:37 pm
I will say for now that to me, what is stoicism to some is hope to others. All feelings are nebulous and changeable in the real world.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
and so they are, Cav. I have tried to explore all philosophies; found many wanting; others in tune; I still have my own tucked under my wing as the birds do when they sleep.

I realized that I had a video tape that needed returning, and I zipped down A1A; walked in the little store and immediately saw Big Fish. I have it now waiting for the exact moment to watch the thing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:37 pm
Yes, and yes, and yes again.

The movie was the perfect way to say goodnight from fantasy land.

With love from Letty
0 Replies

Steph09er

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:58 am
Wilder's Weaning
I do believe that Wilder is suggesting that there is a weaning from this world and that that weaning is actually sometimes felt before the cold grasp of death takes definite hold. In ACT III of "Our Town," we continually hear the repeated message that we, as the living, do not understand.
Emily: They don't understand, do they?
Mrs. Gibbs: No dear, they don't understand.

And we realize as Emily speaks that we do not always have the time hear on earth (or we do not make the time) to truly talk to and see one another... we do not understand. Consequently, I think this "weaning" is a gift of sorts. Through it, humans are able to distance themselves from the realities of a painful world which has lost the ability to appreciate life. And like the dead in Wilder's play, who simply observe and feel a serenity it is hard-pressed to discover in our lives, the "weaned" are able to go in peace, wherever it is they believe they are going.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:07 am
Steph, Welcome to A2K. You know, for the longest time, I thought that Wilder was alluding to a spiritual experience until I read The Bridge of San Luis Rey. It was somewhat of a disappointment when I finally realized that it was just the opposite.

A friend of mine and I were discussing the old concept of a "lightening" before death. This the concept, I think, of sudden realization, rather akin to Bierce's "Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge".

Nice to see you here, Steph. Looking forward to more exchanges.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
I'm vague on details, but isn't there an eastern notion that a man (and presumably also a woman) spends his/her first twenty years as a child; the second twenty years as a man/woman of the world and the final twenty years in contemplation and withdrawal?

Of course, life expectances are longer here in the Worldly West in 2004 than they were in India when this notion evolved.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
Noddy, I'm not certain of Eastern notions, but I am aware of Shakespeare's Seven Stages of Man, and, of course, the real answer to the riddle of the Sphinx.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:45 pm
Facets of life that were of prime importance when I was a teenager dwindled in importance by the time I was 30-something and now that I'm within spitting distance of three score and ten I can be philosophical about a great deal of life.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
Ah, the dominion of Noddy brings us back to the world of no nonsense. Frankly, my friend, that Shakespeare verse is the only one that I NEVER liked. He should have stuck with the sonnets that brung him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
Letty--

Think of the Globe shareholders--on a budget and trying to cast a play. Shakespeare knew the implications of the Ages of Man and the problems of many parts.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:00 am
finally found this spot unassisted; but gotta go; so i'll be back to contemplate my navel with the rest here! :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:07 am
My goodness, Bo's back with a contemplation and perhaps a validation. One never knows about them Canadians.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
Incidentally, all. Should you have a chance, skim this short story. It simply underlines the idea of the protective coating of our minds:

http://eserver.org/fiction/occurrence-at-owl-creek.html

Off to do dumb stuff, like buy a paper with the NYT's crossword puzzle in it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:18 pm
Letty--

From Carl JUng:

"Thoroughly unprepared we take the step into the afternoon of life; worse still, we take this step with the false presumption that our truths and ideals will serve as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the pogramme of life's morning--for what was great in the morning will be little at evening, and what in the morning was true will eventually become a lie."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
Ah, Noddy. My dear friend, Noddy. Now here is Letty's weaning theory:

Life sucks. Sorry, couldn't resist.

How'd ya like that, Jung? Razz
0 Replies