Insight of H.L. Mencken

au1929

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Recieved in my E-mail this PM.

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956), journalist and satirist with thirty-five
years in the newspaper business supplied the perfect quote for these
times:   He must have had terrific insight.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

> When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental -- men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack, or count himself lost. His one aim is to disarm suspicion, to arouse confidence in his orthodoxy, to avoid challenge. If he is a man of convictions, of enthusiasm, or self-respect, it is cruelly harder.

>

> The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even a mob with him by the force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second or third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

>

> The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

>

> --H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,072 • Replies: 13
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
Re: Insight of H.L. Mencken
H.L. Mencken wrote:

> The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

--H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

I have an enormous regard for Mencken; I've never disagreed with anything that I've read of his works regarding American politics. And considering that he wrote the above in July 1920, he only had a few months to wait for the American voters to elect a downright moron.
0 Replies

blueSky

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:51 pm
Next is ... President Schwarzenegger ?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:56 pm
A new television ad is running on behalf of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's called "Amend for Arnold."
It calls for a constitutional amendment to let foreign-born citizens run for president.
Schwarzenegger was born in Austria so right now he can't run for president.
The ads started running Monday in California,
There's no word on if the ads will ever run in Wisconsin.
The group that backed Schwarzenegger for governor funded the ads.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:02 pm
I see no pressing reason to amend the constitution. We have a sufficiency of home grown morons to fit the bill.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:30 pm
au1929, I completely agree. We've got enough. To amend the Constitution just for Arnold would suggest that he is more than special, like that other guy born in Austria. What was his name?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
Beethoven, Ludwig van?
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:10 am
Not bourn in Austria, but in Bonn. Bonn is in the Germany.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:43 am
President Blair. Oh my God, no.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:02 am
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public. H. L. Mencken (attributed)

MY OPINION: Mencken, when speaking of politics in America, was a cockeyed optimist.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:46 pm
Dys, I think it was Adolph von Beethoven. Something like that.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:45 am
If I were american I would vote Mr. Schwarznegger for President. Just to be sure he would't make more movies.
And it would be something new in world politics. A president who can't act.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:54 am
val wrote:
If I were american I would vote Mr. Schwarznegger for President. Just to be sure he would't make more movies.
And it would be something new in world politics. A president who can't act.

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:39 am
Val

Quote:
And it would be something new in world politics. A president who can't act

Apparently you have never seen any of Reagan's movies. :wink:
0 Replies