PDA - Connecting to the internet

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
Ok, I am considering purchasing a Tungsten E PDA for my hubby for Christmas. It does not have Bluetooth in it and we cannot use bluetooth as our cell phones do not have it (and we can't get it, or won't since the bluetooth phone cost $500!). The PDA does have "email capability" though (whatever that means!) and our cell phones can connect to the internet. My question is this: can my hubby connect his PDA to the phone with a cable and get mobile internet? Or is the only option for mobile internet on the PDA a wireless one?

Also, if we can connect via cable, what kind? Is there a special USB cord to buy? Any help would be great as I have not seen this question anywhere on any tech/PDA site!! THANK YOU!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,325 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:17 pm
Dunno for sure about the Tungsten E, as I ain't into Palmistry (bad pun, yeah ... but fun anyway. I beg your indulgence). A cellphone "Capable of E-mail" more or less means the cellphone, properly configured and with the appropriate account/subscription type, can deal with at a minimum text-only message exchange with web-connected computers. Some phones have more advanced email capability.

And cellphones certainly can be used to provide internet connectivity, given the appropriate cellphone-internet-capable device interface is available and present. I use my cellphone, with a phone-specific dongle that terminates in a USB connector for hookup to the 'puter, to connect a PocketPC or even a laptop from time to time ... but connection speed sucks (I'm spoiled .... I get impatient with 1.5M broadband Rolling Eyes ), and airtime cost can get to be a real big factor real quick ... check that out too.

What cabling as would be nescessary is pretty much dependent on the cellphone and the internet-capable device in question. Contact the customer support folks both at the vendor of your phone/phone service carrier and of your intended handheld device to determine whether, and if so how, your combo can be web-connected. .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:25 pm
thanks timber...

My hubby gets email now on his cell but it doesn't have attachements. He wants to be able to get online to check email and get attachements with PDA.

I guess my question is: If we already have mobile web with our cell, can't we just put a USB cord between and get the web on the pda?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:29 pm
Sure ya can ... if that arrangement is available both for your phone and your PDA ... If I were you, I'd prolly talk to your phone service carrier's folks first, then check with the Palm people.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:40 am
thanks! I just hate going in to buy stuff and not having any prior knowledge...
0 Replies