Pinhole camera in space

neil

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:11 am
NASA has funded $400,000 to study the possibility of viewing small extra solar planets, www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=2498
It seems to me that the telescope thousands of miles from the 30 foot hole needs to have very high light gathering power to keep exposure time reasonably short. Why not repair the Hubble space telescope and fine tune the position of the hole for best picture at Hubble? That seems far more practical than designing a new trillion dollar telescope that may not work well with the pinhole, or be optimized for other use.
Perhaps Hubble should be moved to solar orbit as I suspect the pinhole camera will be difficult and compromised in low Earth Orbit. Hubble in solar orbit would be fabulous for long range predictions of Earth threatening asteroids and comets especially if located about halfway to Venus orbit? Can the Hubble datalink be upgraded to 150 million kilometer if relayed at some of Earth's Geosynchronous satellites? 150 million kilometers would be great for long base interferometry. Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 736 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:45 am
Re: Pinhole camera in space
neil wrote:
NASA has funded $400,000 to study the possibility of viewing small extra solar planets, www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=2498
It seems to me that the telescope thousands of miles from the 30 foot hole needs to have very high light gathering power to keep exposure time reasonably short. Why not repair the Hubble space telescope and fine tune the position of the hole for best picture at Hubble? That seems far more practical than designing a new trillion dollar telescope that may not work well with the pinhole, or be optimized for other use.
Perhaps Hubble should be moved to solar orbit as I suspect the pinhole camera will be difficult and compromised in low Earth Orbit. Hubble in solar orbit would be fabulous for long range predictions of Earth threatening asteroids and comets especially if located about halfway to Venus orbit? Can the Hubble datalink be upgraded to 150 million kilometer if relayed at some of Earth's Geosynchronous satellites? 150 million kilometers would be great for long base interferometry. Neil

Can't speak to the rest of it, but I suspect receiving Hubble's transmissions would be the least of the problems. We were (are?) able to receive transmissions from the Voyager probes way out in the solar system and they were transmitting at approx. one watt. (if memory serves)
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:11 pm
I think it's because NASA was forced to make cutbacks after being told to get to the moon/mars in a fairly short amount of time and they decided that hubble could go. What i'm not sure of is if Hubble can still be maintained to keep it up there or if it's too far gone for us to get to.
0 Replies