Introducing The God Gene

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:23 am
Religious fanatic? Blame it on 'god gene':
[World News]: London, Nov 15 : "God genes" are responsible for creating religious fanatics, says new scientific research - much to the chagrin of church representatives.

The findings of Dean Hamer, director of the US National Cancer Institute's Gene Structure and Regulation Unit, also claim that Jesus, the Buddha and Prophet Mohammed are likely to have carried the gene.

The research has, however, been strongly criticised by members of the church, reported the Scotsman newspaper published from Edinburgh. They said the idea of people having a predisposition to faith simply displays a failure to understand it.

Hamer, who attracted controversy in 1993 when he claimed to have found a DNA sequence linked to male homosexuality, now says the presence of the gene VMAT2, or the "god gene", explains why some people are more spiritual than others.

The findings based on a study of 2,000 DNA samples and interviews with volunteers, who answered 226 questions aimed at finding out how spiritually in-tune they felt, have been published in a book named "The God Gene: How Faith is Hard-Wired into our Genes".

According to it, the greater the volunteer's ability to believe in a higher spiritual being, the more likely they are to have the VMAT2 gene. The research also claims that being brought up in a devout environment has little effect on belief.

"Buddha, Mohammed and Jesus all shared a series of mystical experiences or alterations in consciousness, and thus probably carried the gene," Hamer said.

"This means that the tendency to be spiritual is part of genetic make-up. This is not a thing that is strictly handed down from parents to children. It could skip a generation - it's like intelligence."

But Donald Bruce, director of the Church of Scotland's Society, Religious and Technology Project, Sunday called the research findings a "publicity stunt".

"I regard his claims as scientifically ridiculous. There is absolutely no such thing as a god gene. The whole point is that god makes himself available to all equally."

According to him, Hamer had admitted this to him a year ago. "We were both on the advisory board at the conference and I asked him if he thought the book's title was irresponsible. Hamer agreed the words 'god gene' as well as the book's title were misleading."

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland, said: "Religion is not specifically restricted to one era, race or continent, and the fact that it is so all-encompassing and widespread tends to suggest it is not specifically related to our physical make-up."

--Indo-Asian News Service
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,261 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:03 am
Since I'm no scientist, I can't say yea or nay to the story above. I have noted all my life, however, that some will believe no matter what happens and others will never be able to accept any form of a god. I call it predisposition, but the underlying cause is not for me to determine.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:00 am
wow , what's next ? since we live in a city with a number of penetentiaries in the area (five federal penetentiaries plus a provincial jail), we get a lot of courtcases here. the accused don't blame their genes very often, but many a times they'll state before the presiding judge : "we was framed. your honour !". perhaps they can blame their problems on their genes now, sounds much more scientific. hbg
0 Replies

-I-1-2-No-U-

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
Get ready for the discovery of the GULLIBLE GENE
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:40 am
It seems true - we all know people who have a spiritual side which is more intense, developed, present, and contrasting people who are down to earth and no-nonsense. I think it's astrological myself, but I'll be howled down by scientists and religious types alike.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:41 am
don't we all have the "God Gene" since we are made in His image? Just a thought.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:31 am
If we remove a certain gene from our DNA, a certain body function will stop to function.
So if we remove the God gene, should a faithful person stop believing in God?
And if we add the God gene, should an atheist start to believe in God?

This is a total heresy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:41 am
What is his image, Kristie, I'd like to know? What sort of genes does he have? Does he have a god gene? I don't believe in heresy, only truth as we can best understand it, and a continual search for it.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:44 pm
Kristie ** The human for is continually growing and changing and has been for the past 3 million years. There is no final form and there cant be one. But its your belief so believe what you want.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
As a reply to the god gene thing, i have serious doubts about it. Maybe a gene that makes you more of a faithful person but im pretty sure experiences drive your faith.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:29 pm
My statement had nothing to do with form.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
Well unless gods image is an ever changing one . . . then we cant be in his image/form .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:45 pm
um hello....from the perspective of spirituality/religion, God doesn't have a "form". how can one who is everywhere have a form?

I was refering to the soul.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 04:02 pm
Well until humans self realized, there could be no soul nor such a concept. If our soul is in gods image, is our soul everywhere then? Please define a soul in your terms as well.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 04:21 pm
I'll buy that Edgar. Not an exact science... but a predisposition or lack thereof? Very easy to swallow. Too many of us looked for Dude, and couldn't find himÂ… and too many find him when they're not looking.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:50 pm
A predisposition is more believable but a gene that dictates your belief seems to be a little absurd to me anad proof would be needed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
It wouldn't be hard to believe such a gene exists. All it would take is a load of real proof.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:21 pm
Well of course any load of proof would make me believe it. Proof is proof. But without any proof presented right now it shard for me to suppose it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:25 pm
So far the only ones refuting it in the article at least are the ones who least wish to believe it. There were no comments pro or con from scientists.
0 Replies

DeadLeaf

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:04 pm
0 Replies