Dead Insurgents, How Many?

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
ebrown, were not considerable European and Asian civilian deaths and civil physical infrastructure destruction incidental to the liberation of hundreds of millions of their fellows from their Nazi and Japanese oppressors?

Get real - war sucks, folks get hurt, stuff gets blown up, and sometimes good comes of it despite the tragedy. You can't make an omelet without breakin' some eggs. In Afghanistan and Iraq, over 50 million folks have been served the omelet of freedom at the lowest relative civilian "egg cost" in history.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
Timberlandko, you are abusing the word "liberate".

You can say we liberated France in World War II .

It is foolish to suggest we liberated Germany from the Germans or Japan from the Japanese. We did not liberate the South during the civil war or the Native Americans or the Vietnamese.

I agree with you that war sucks.

But claiming we are liberating Iraq from the Iraqis is a ridiculous proposition.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:06 am
TK, I'd argue that a lot of eggs are being broken in Iraq but we haven't seen any omelette yet.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:14 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Timberlandko, you are abusing the word "liberate".

You can say we liberated France in World War II .

It is foolish to suggest we liberated Germany from the Germans or Japan from the Japanese. We did not liberate the South during the civil war or the Native Americans or the Vietnamese.

I agree with you that war sucks.

But claiming we are liberating Iraq from the Iraqis is a ridiculous proposition.

I don't quite agree by your interpretation of "liberate"
Iraq is quite different from German and Japan. yeah if you say "liberate **** from ****" to them , that will be truely absurd as you said.

But for iraq we can say "liberate Iraq from the terrible regimes". I think that this the major point . And it is obviously cant suit The Third Riech and Japanese Empire.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
In that case, I sure hope we can be liberated (peacefully of course).
0 Replies

australia

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
To be honest, I couldn't care less how many insurgents died. I am more concerned with the high loss of american(allies) life. We have to get our priorities correct. I hope if there is a next world war, I am not fighting alongside you guys in the trenches. You would be more concerned about the welfare of the enemy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
You might wanna try a little narrower brush there, australia - with the one you're using right now, you can paint yourself into a corner before you know it.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 06:36 pm
Well, reading through every topic on here, it is interesting to note that there is more concern for the insurgents killed, than the fallen american soldiers. It is typical of a lot of people that write in this forum. Not all, mind you, but a lot.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
You're sure the concern isn't about civilians?

Anyway, you need to read one of the threads that deal with the shortage of armor.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:40 pm
australia wrote:
Well, reading through every topic on here

LOL - I been around here since there wasn't much here at all, and I ain't managed THAT yet - don't think there's anyway to do it, really Laughing

Quote:
it is interesting to note that there is more concern for the insurgents killed, than the fallen american soldiers. It is typical of a lot of people that write in this forum. Not all, mind you, but a lot.

There's an unmistakable "Other than Conservative" slant evidenced by a majority of participants in the political discussions here. Some "Other than Conservatives" are reasoned, rational, temperate, civil participants, and some are not. The same can be said of their ideologic opposite numbers, as well. Likewise, both camps have their embarrassments. Idiocy knows no ideology. Nastiness of any sort is inappropriate behavior, whether one initiates it or merely responds to or otherwise participates in it, the way I figure it. Some folks lose sight of that from time to time. And some folks just don't seem to grasp the concept at all. I think one of the best things about the discussions here, apart from the absence of spam, is that there is damned little nastiness. There's plenty of edgeyness, yeah, and heated argument, but outright nastiness just don't cut it here.

I think most folks who for whatever reason find it worthwhile to stick around here for any length of time appreciate that too.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
Good point!!
0 Replies