I just started, now i'm 22.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,286 • Replies: 34
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:44 pm
I first read when I was about 17. I was/am flagrantly atheist. It was research. Know thy enemy. ;^)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:45 pm
I've never read the whole thing. A couple of books maybe, never was terribly interested.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:55 pm
Oh yeah, for those of you who couldn't finish it; THE BUTLER DID IT!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
I was brought up in a pretty religious family. I started reading it when I was about fifteen. I read the whole damn new testament, and believed it all. I blame that stupid book for my whole completely celibate teen-age life!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:55 pm
Despite being a serious reader since childhood and having devoured great literature from the time I was 15 on, I didn't get around to actually reading the Bible until I was 20. It changed my life. In fact, I probably wasn't old enough to appreciate it until then.

It's never too late, lainchance.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:09 pm
I have never read it, nor do I ever plan to!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:23 pm
I haven't read it yet, is it a good book? <wink>.

I have long thought I should read it, but I just can't seem to get bored enough to do it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
one sememster in high school we had to read it in history class...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:52 pm
history...no way. wow
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:56 pm
I like the juicy parts.... you know...sodomy, getting your father drunk and having sex with him, that stuff....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:59 pm
First time at 12 because I felt I should.

Old Testament for a College Course.

Another full read at 19 to decide whether I was an atheist or an agonstic.

Patchy reading of the King James since then to chase down references.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:31 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I like the juicy parts.... you know...sodomy, getting your father drunk and having sex with him, that stuff....

I like the juicy parts too, bear! And the humor. Cool
0 Replies

lainchance

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 07:45 pm
Actually I thought the Bible is a kinda of a must-read book to everyone in western countries.... and maybe it is the most important book to those who want to know western cultures?.... I'm an atheist too but the Bible really teaches me good things, just.... it's really way too thick Confused
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 07:55 pm
Eva wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I like the juicy parts too, bear! And the humor. Cool

I'm sure my humour and your juicy parts would make a great combo dear but alas, I fear it's not to be.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:02 pm
It's interesting to hear your perspective lainchance. It must be hard to believe in current times but western society still has large secular (ie non-religious) groups. I would think that very few people, even among those who would consider themselves religious, have read the bible cover to cover, maybe 5%?

Are you chinese, or just in China? Does religion have much of a face in China? I know about Falun Gong, so I assume that the marxist doctrine against organised religion is pretty strictly held to.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:21 pm
the old testament is a real yawn, plus most of your right wing fundamentalists swear by it, so i try to avoid it, but the new testament is okay, and let's face it, that jesus guy did have some good ideas, but going into the family business was a big mistake
0 Replies

lainchance

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:38 pm
hingehead wrote:
It's interesting to hear your perspective lainchance. It must be hard to believe in current times but western society still has large secular (ie non-religious) groups. I would think that very few people, even among those who would consider themselves religious, have read the bible cover to cover, maybe 5%?

Are you chinese, or just in China? Does religion have much of a face in China? I know about Falun Gong, so I assume that the marxist doctrine against organised religion is pretty strictly held to.

I'm a Chinese, hingehead. I live in southeast of China. Many Chinese are Buddhist, but a lot of others are not especially the youth. I think nowadays people have a little interest in religion, not just in western society. Maybe people think the religion can no longer be applied in this crazy and violent world.

O do you know Falun Gong is considered to be a heresy in China?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:03 pm
I knew Falun Gong was outlawed but I thought that it was for political reasons. If it's for heresy, which religion is offended by it's teachings? Buddhism?

Does your government approve of Buddhism? Are there Taoists?
0 Replies

lainchance

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
Hmm, sorry if I'm wrong, but i always think religion is something that can teach you to be a better person (modest, honest and so on) but not to hate the world or sth. Falun gong belongs not.

Yes, Chinese government is not against Buddhism and Taoism of cos.
0 Replies