Is it better to be Muslim than nuked?

neil

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:01 am
from http://drudgereport.com/flash2.htm
FORMER HEAD OF CIA'S OSAMA BIN LADEN UNIT SAYS THE QAEDA LEADER HAS SECURED RELIGIOUS APPROVAL TO USE A NUCLEAR BOMB AGAINST AMERICANS
Fri Nov 12 2004 12:02:34 ET

Osama bin Laden now has religious approval to use a nuclear device against Americans, says the former head of the CIA unit charged with tracking down the Saudi terrorist. The former agent, Michael Scheuer, speaks to Steve Kroft in his first television interview without disguise to be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday, Nov. 14 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Scheuer was until recently known as the "anonymous" author of two books critical of the West's response to bin Laden and al Qaeda, the most recent of which is titled Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror. No one in the West knows more about the Qaeda leader than Scheuer, who has tracked him since the mid-1980s. The CIA allowed him to write the books provided he remain anonymous, but now is allowing him to reveal himself for the first time on Sunday's broadcast; he formally leaves the Agency today (12).

Even if bin Laden had a nuclear weapon, he probably wouldn't have used it for a lack of proper religious authority - authority he has now. "[Bin Laden] secured from a Saudi sheik...a rather long treatise on the possibility of using nuclear weapons against the Americans," says Scheuer. "[The treatise] found that he was perfectly within his rights to use them. Muslims argue that the United States is responsible for millions of dead Muslims around the world, so reciprocity would mean you could kill millions of Americans," Scheuer tells Kroft.

Scheuer says bin Laden was criticized by some Muslims for the 9/11 attack because he killed so many people without enough warning and before offering to help convert them to Islam. But now bin Laden has addressed the American people and given fair warning. "They're intention is to end the war as soon as they can and to ratchet up the pain for the Americans until we get out of their region....If they acquire the weapon, they will use it, whether it's chemical, biological or some sort of nuclear weapon," says Scheuer.

As the head of the CIA unit charged with tracking bin Laden from 1996 to 1999, Scheuer says he never had enough people to do the job right. He blames former CIA Director George Tenet. "One of the questions that should have been asked of Mr. Tenet was why were there always enough people for the public relations office, for the academic outreach office, for the diversity and multi-cultural office? All those things are admirable and necessary but none of them are protecting the American people from a foreign threat," says Scheuer.

And the threat posed by bin Laden is also underestimated, says Scheuer. "I think our leaders over the last decade have done the American people a disservice...continuing to characterize Osama bin Laden as a thug, as a gangster," he says. "Until we respect him, sir, we are going to die in numbers that are probably unnecessary, yes. He's a very, very talented man and a very worthy opponent," he tells Kroft.

Until today (12), Scheuer was a senior official in the CIA's counter terrorism unit and a special advisor to the head of the agency's bin Laden unit.

~Re: Muslim religious leaders authorize nuclear attack
Perhaps if we double the number of Americans who convert annually to Muslim, they will wait a few decades to nuke us until most of us have converted. Converting has to be cheaper than, forcing a regime change two or three times per decade. Can they tell we are not sincere converts? What is the USA name of the Muslim sect that thinks nuking the USA is virtuous? Can we convert several times each by using fake identities?
Please embellish, refute and/or comment. Neil~
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
There is only one country in history that has used nuclear weapons against a civilian population. I don't know if they got religious "permission" before they did it, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

No culture has a monopoly on brutality. Some cultures have the luxury of indulging in selective amnesia to hold onto an illusion of superiority.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:03 pm
Good comments, eBrown. Good post, Neil.

Gotta wonder if maybe we humans are, as speculated in The Matrix...a virus on the universe as a whole. Maybe doing away with ourselves is a service to EXISTENCE.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:28 am
Gee whiz Frank,

Please don't be so gloomy. When considered on a large enough scale humans are no different than a bacteria, a virus, a sparrow, or a whale!

This may be a good place for me to requote myself. Very Happy

"Life is like that".
It corresponds to the laws of physics. The only difference is that a few of us may have a glimmer of understanding the process.

Intelligence, with its attendent ability for mayhem, is merely a survival tactic required by a body that cannot survive without it!

So is selective amnesia Exclamation
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:55 pm
Is it just me or does this belong in Philosophy/Debate?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:06 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
Is it just me or does this belong in Philosophy/Debate?

Oh, it's you! Laughing
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:13 pm
New topic: Today, i heard Maxwell's Silver Hammer for the first time today.

P.S. I believe that belongs in this forum about as much as the original post.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
I like the way engineers and scientists think. I have tried philosophy/debate on some other boards. Most of the participants strain on a gnat, and/or swallow a camel. I will however give it a try. Neil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
neil wrote:
I like the way engineers and scientists think. I have tried philosopy/debate on some other boards. Most of the participants strain on a gnat, and/or swalow a camel. I will hower give it a try. Neil

perhaps Neil, bringing the scientific/mathematical 'method', and related insights, to the philosophical threads, would be more beneficial than burying topics where they are unlikely to be noticed.
0 Replies