Science Deniers are Everywhere

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 02:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Oh shut the **** up.
I was defending you.
I've been far more understanding of you than you have been of me.

We'll have to agree to disagree of the last sentence, but thanks for defending what any honest person should defend. You were honest.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 02:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
IM certainly glad that Im not responsible to monitor its daily dosage of antipsychotics.

From all observations, you haven't been very responsible for monitoring your own daily dosage of antidepressants . . . or antipsychotics . . . or whatever it is that's supposed to balance you out.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Drop it already. You're being ridiculous.
camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Drop it already. You're being ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous to hold liars to account, Olivier. Especially liars who pretend that science is important to them.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
My take, just a butterfly fling of words, is that his first use(s) of caps was unintentional for reasons he explained, and then possibly on purpose, which, yeah, I do get.

I don't know Olivier as a liar.

There seems to be a meme that everybody lies. I got in a thicket when, in my early twenties I lied (too long a story), and, after that, I caught on that being straightforward was accepted. I guess I grew in self esteem. The only lie I remember since was a silly one off the cuff, and if I see that cousin again, I'll 'fess up.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:22 pm
I'll await a scouring of my 100,000 + posts for lies. Possibly a new hobby for some.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:35 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im fqmiliar only with Popper and Derrida. 

I think highly of Popper and lowly of Derrida.

Popper's intuition was to apply to scientific research a metaphor that fits very well: that of Darwinism. As in biological evolution, scientific evolution is a messy process combining 1) a random or near-random production of new theories and 2) a "struggle" between theories: not for reproduction as in true Darwinian evolution, but for faithfulness to known facts. Scientific theories compete to explain facts.

If Poper is right, it follows from this metaphor that one can expect a general tendency towards better and better scientific theories over time, even though (or because) research is a messy darwinian process. Survival of the fitest theories.

Popper also sees democracy as a messy darwinian process that works, at least if given enough time to develop.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I don't know Olivier as a liar.

You'd say the same for farmerman, and likely some others. Pure partisanship. Which, when you think about it, is a lie of sorts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 04:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
my wife cannot tell a lie even if my life depends on it. She gets all confused with having to become duplicitous. She's like Mr Spock of Star trek, but Thats my girl .

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
How is it possible for her to live with you, farmer?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 04:49 pm
@farmerman,
I like your girl.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I think she'd like you too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Admit you weren't truthful and I'll drop it.

It wouldn't have reached this stage if you had "dropped it" and not gone off on me about "post-truth" bullshit about an opinion I posted.

You can dish it out...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You don't know the issue at hand so spare us the props for one of your favorites.
camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 05:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn is right.

It's just another example of the partisan/personal attack behavior farmerman was pretending to decry when he is one of the worst.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 12:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Admit you're a typographic Nazi, and i'll drop it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 01:09 am
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks Jo. Finn wants a little spanking, I guess.
camlok

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
You are a liar, Olivier. Denial of reality is lying unless you are certifiably insane.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 01:44 pm
Who had the means? Who had the motive? Who had the opportunity?

I mean I have seen some folks deny reality but this is ridiculous.

What kind of "adult" says, "I can't provide one piece of evidence to support the USGOCT but still I believe it?

What kind of "adult" says, "I saw a human being being exploded out of a twin tower window but still I believe the USGOCT?

What kind of "adult" says, "there was US government nanothermite and the by-products of those nanothermite reactions in WTC dust but still I believe the USGOCT"?

What kind of "adult" says, "there was supposedly an Arab hijacker's passport that survived the crash into WTC1 and floated unsinged to the ground and then that story changed twice, but still I believe the USGOCT"?

What kind of "adult" says, "there was supposedly an Arab hijacker's passport and a red bandana that survived the crash into the ground at Shanksville and somehow got out of that totally buried airliner, and was found on the the ground, but still I believe the USGOCT"?

What kind of "adult" says, "there were many molten metals found at WTC that the alleged hijackers could not have melted with jet fuel but still I believe the USGOCT"?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:23 pm
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449910/al-gore-inconvenient-sequel-self-serving?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NR%20Daily%20Monday%20through%20Friday%202017-07-27&utm_term=NR5PM%20Actives

When I first spied the headline of this article, I thought it read "An Incoherent Squeal" Turns out that this would have been a more accurate title.

From the article:

Quote:
It isn’t the only time in An Inconvenient Sequel that Gore proves disingenuous. Throughout the film, he never hints that he has a financial interest in the technologies he’s promoting. A firm he co-founded, Generation Investment Management, was a very early investor in Elon Musk’s company SolarCity and held an $80 million stake in it as of 2013, according to the finance site Insider Monkey. Gore portrays SolarCity as a first-rate outfit, both in itself and because the company supposedly pushed the Paris Climate Accord over the top with a bold, philanthropic decision to share its solar-panel technology with India, which then withdrew its objections and signed the agreement. (Earlier Gore is seen browbeating India’s energy minister, who, not without wit, tells Gore to get back to him in 150 years, when the coal-powered country can afford the luxury of renewable energy.) Gore doesn’t tell us that SolarCity ate up billions of dollars in taxpayer-funded subsidies before its stock price tanked, at which point Musk folded the company into Tesla in an all-stock deal, meaning any shares Generation had in SolarCity stock turned into Tesla stock. Oh, and Gore’s only son, Albert Gore III, served as deputy director, policy and electricity markets–finance for SolarCity and now works in Washington for Tesla, according to LinkedIn. If you’re wondering why Tesla requires a Washington office, or why it might enjoy having politically connected people working for it, there are about 4.9 billion reasons why. It’s hard to imagine Tesla (in which, Gore told Insider Monkey in 2015, he personally held shares) would even exist today without its ability to transmute climate-change hysteria into government subsidies.

Quote:
... would we buy Gore’s argument that he has always been on Team Green from anyone else? If Warren Buffett insists that he genuinely liked Coca-Cola as a kid (and still does), does that somehow mean he doesn’t have a conflict of interest if he tries to use his government connections to win a contract for Coke now that Berkshire Hathaway, of which Buffett owns about 19 percent, holds 400 million shares of Coke? How did Gore get to be the only corporate oligarch in America (net worth: $300 million) whose blatant conflicts of interest are mostly ignored by the media?

Quote:
As for the strong implication in the film that Gore prompted SolarCity to do a favor for India that got the country on board the Paris agreement, “I am not aware of any such linkage, and neither are my colleagues in the negotiating team,” a top negotiator from India’s delegation told the online newsletter E & E News. The negotiator added that in the 20 months since the agreement, “SolarCity has not come to India.” SolarCity, E & E News reported, has never issued a press release to take credit for what Gore’s film depicts and did not respond to its reporter’s request for comment.

Quote:
Gore’s ability to frame everything in terms of how it relates to his crusade is what really resonates through the film. When terrorists kill 130 people in Paris on the eve of the summit, a massacre that threatens to postpone the climate talks, Gore gets emotional because he sees it as a personal “setback” for him. He tells grieving Parisians that we need to fight back with military force but also with “values” — which is how he segues into . . . his climate-change talking points. You can see the relief when Gore learns the conference will go on as scheduled. More than a hundred people were killed by Islamists, and to Al Gore, the situation was really inconvenient.

And to think that I once believed this guy might make a good president. Almost voted for him over Bush back in 2000, but eventually the oily nature of his character seeped out through his pores and I ended up voting for the Libertarian candidate (whomever the hell he was).

It's ironic, but at the time I had concerns that W was just another unqualified clown who was allowing himself to be thrust into the White House by handlers who remained behind the curtain. I should have had more faith in the son of the very decent George H W Bush whom I always liked and voted for when he ran the first time, as it was proven that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...regardless of what you might think of him as president.

Gore is the classic political sociopath who is entirely self-absorbed and remains focused solely on his personal interests.

His wife Tipper got a bad rap with her efforts to have parental warnings placed on the packaging of music CDs with obscene lyrics. Considering the misogynist, violent and coarse language featured in a lot of hip hop music of that time, the effort was entirely reasonable and laudable, however certain members of the music industry like intellectual stalwarts Dee Snieder, Jello Biafra and John Denver (of all people) testified before congress and branded her a censor, which of course she wasn't. Alas one of my musical heroes Frank Zappa joined the band in painting her as prudish scold. Considering that the effort had nothing to do with banning sales their arguments were ludicrous and, I believe, largely based on either the knee jerk hysterical reaction of "artistes" and a concern about reduced sales. Ironically, Tipper is a talented drummer who has sat in at concerts; playing drums with the Grateful Dead, Willie Nelson, and Herbie Hancock.

She has been a tireless advocate for children, mental health awareness, the homeless and the LGBT community. In 2010 she apparently finally saw the light and dumped her wooden tool of a husband.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:12:12